• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
A short SHIELD season makes sense considering Cap Marvel and A4 will be in 2019. One long wait but it gives them room to work with and attach itself to the closing chapter of Phase 3.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

Nice, I know the show isn't produced by CBS and was getting expensive for them but I've been enjoying the show ever since I started it in season 2. Glad it made it.

Happy for Man With A Plan. Pretty sad about Scorpion even though I knew it was likely going to happen. Far too few people watching it. The 5th season would have started with some interesting stuff. It was fun while it lasted.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Judging from these last few pages it seems Gotham actually got good after season 1 and just kept growing into it's own? Maybe I'll check it out as I've always enjoyed the Batman-verse and it's lore.

The main problems with season 1 were:

- It was extremely on the nose with who becomes which villain later on. This was annoying as hell.
- Most episodes were monster of the week with more or less no greater influence on the overall setting.
- They tried to put as many of the main characters as possible into each episode, which resulted in pretty much everyone getting screentime, even if it were only like 2-3 minutes.

They dropped that with their first proper arc that lasted for a few episodes at the end of season 1 and started to really have a season long plotline and ~3+ episode long smaller arcs in each season. Also, if some characters were not relevant for the current plot, they simply would not appear. This helped a tremendous amount by giving the characters that did appear actual breathing room during the episodes.

Also, think of Gotham as it's own thing, not necessarily as "This is different than the comics so it is bad!". That doesn't help. Gotham can be dark as fuck and campy as hell 5 minutes later in the same episode. Which is why I love this show so much.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

- It was extremely on the nose with who becomes which villain later on. This was annoying as hell.
- Most episodes were monster of the week with more or less no greater influence on the overall setting.
- They tried to put as many of the main characters as possible into each episode, which resulted in pretty much everyone getting screentime, even if it were only like 2-3 minutes.

They dropped that with their first proper arc that lasted for a few episodes at the end of season 1 and started to really have a season long plotline and ~3+ episode long smaller arcs in each season. Also, if some characters were not relevant for the current plot, they simply would not appear. This helped a tremendous amount by giving the characters that did appear actual breathing room during the episodes.

Also, think of Gotham as it's own thing, not necessarily as "This is different than the comics so it is bad!". That doesn't help. Gotham can be dark as fuck and campy as hell 5 minutes later in the same episode. Which is why I love this show so much.

Yeah definately had a weak S1 in comparison. I just... didn't like the villain. As the show went along, it really grew into "Batman: The Villains" with some good, some annoying, but better than just sticking to a single one all season long. Watching them trying to screw each other over to rule Gotham has been fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from these last few pages it seems Gotham actually got good after season 1 and just kept growing into it's own? Maybe I'll check it out as I've always enjoyed the Batman-verse and it's lore.

Pretty much,
show reshifted its structure dropping most of the procedural episodes and shifting more towards mini-arcs.

Also tried adjusting characters that could potentially be saved
Bruce started getting more interesting stuff to do
Barbara became a fun character

While the really bad characters(Montoya, etc) that would be impossible to work with were dropped entirely.

Late S1-S2 is also when they started letting the villain actors completely take their characters and run with them instead of being reserved and overly careful with it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Superior Donuts was CBS's only sitcom with a minority lead and I'm pretty sure it was their only one with minorities in the main cast outside of Raj in TBBT. Of course they picked up a new show with black leads he other day so the writing was on the wall.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
4 seasons too long. It was dumb from the start.

Literally the only thing I've ever seen from Scorpion was a clip on youtube where they were hacking a moving plane on an airport runway in a supercar going like 200mph and they were connected via an ethernet cord or some shit. And at one point the female hacker was dangling in air holding onto her laptop/ethernet cord. Was hilariously over the top and dumb.

edit: found the clip

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Superior Donuts was CBS's only sitcom with a minority lead and I'm pretty sure it was their only one with minorities in the main cast outside of Raj in TBBT. Of course they picked up a new show with black leads he other day so the writing was on the wall.

On the Deadline page about its cancellation, they mention this as well. That it was the only one with a minority lead but that CBS picked up two shows with minority leads for the next season.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Joel McHale's thing was...sorta-kinda renewed? Its coming back in July with 6 episodes, all at once this time. /shrug

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only thing I've ever seen from Scorpion was a clip on youtube where they were hacking a moving plane on an airport runway in a supercar going like 200mph and they were connected via an ethernet cord or some shit. And at one point the female hacker was dangling in air holding onto her laptop/ethernet cord. Was hilariously over the top and dumb.

edit: found the clip

I think this is the pilot. I never watched that episode but I've loved how incredibly contrived and over the top the situations they find themselves in are.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion was sometimes insane as hell, but I didn't hate the actors, I just hated it was based off a real shitty dude.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
We need an updated list of shows
I think this should be it? I might have fucked it up, and I stole most of the list from Rats

The CW

Renewed:

Supernatural
Arrow
The 100
The Flash
Jane the Virgin
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Supergirl
Riverdale
Black Lightning
Dynasty
iZombie

Canceled:

The Originals
Life Sentence
Valor

NBC

Renewed:

This is Us
Will & Grace
The Good Place
Superstore
Good Girls
A.P. Bio
Law & Order: SVU
Chicago Fire
Chicago P.D.
Chicago Med
Blindspot

Canceled:

Taken
The Brave
Great News
Rise

TBD:

Law & Order: True Crime
The Blacklist
Timeless
Champions

Fox

Renewed:

The Simpsons
Empire
The Orville
The Gifted
9-1-1
The Resident
Star
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers

Canceled:

New Girl
Last Man on Earth
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The Mick
Lucifer
The Exorcist

TBD:

Gotham
Lethal Weapon
Ghosted
LA to Vegas

CBS

Renewed:

The Big Bang Theory
Young Sheldon
NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
NCIS: New Orleans
Blue Bloods
Hawaii Five-0
Mom
Madam Secretary
Bull
MacGyver
SEAL Team
SWAT
Criminal Minds
Life in Pieces
Man with a Plan
Instinct

Canceled:

Me, Myself, and I
9JKL
Wisdom of the Crowd
Living Biblically
Scorpion
Superior Donuts

TBD:

Code Black
Kevin Can Wait
Ransom
Elementary

ABC

Renewed:

Grey's Anatomy
Modern Family
Roseanne
The Goldbergs
The Good Doctor
Speechless
Splitting Up Together
How to Get Away with Murder
American Housewife
Black-ish
Fresh Off the Boat
Station 19
For the People

Canceled:

Once Upon A Time
Scandal
The Middle
The Mayor
Inhumans
Ten Days in the Valley
Quantico
Designated Survivor
Alex Inc.
Kevin (Probably) Saves the World
Deception
The Crossing

TBD:

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped so much over the last couple of years/failed to pick up new stuff so everything I care about is renewed.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really don't see Lethal Weapon coming back because one of the lead actors just got fired for inappropriate behaviour on the set. Gotham is likely to be renewed and LW kinda had a series finale in a way last episode.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Y'know, everyone is all up in arms over Fox's several cancellations but the real bloodbath is at ABC. Twelve shows! (Possibly 13.) That's just shy of half their lineup. Networks usually don't get rid of so many shows at once because they have to replace them with new stuff that needs to get marketed. If there are too many shows to advertise, a lot of them may get lost in the shuffle.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever happened to Camelot (King Arthur as a modern day police procedural) and (sexy Oliver) Twist (a struggling, twenty-something female (Twist) who "finally finds a true sense of family in a strange group of talented outcasts who use their unique skills to take down wealthy criminals.")? Really wanted to see them because of how ridiculous they sound.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happened to Camelot (King Arthur as a modern day police procedural) and Twist (a struggling, twenty-something female (Twist) who "finally finds a true sense of family in a strange group of talented outcasts who use their unique skills to take down wealthy criminals.")? Really wanted to see them because of how ridiculous they sound.
You forgot "sexy". lol
I assume it went nowhere...

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Y'know, everyone is all up in arms over Fox's several cancellations but the real bloodbath is at ABC. Twelve shows! (Possibly 13.) That's just shy of half their lineup. Networks usually don't get rid of so many shows at once because they have to replace them with new stuff that needs to get marketed. If there are too many shows to advertise, a lot of them may get lost in the shuffle.
They got rid of shows either well past their prime or that barely caught on with anyone.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
With all of the renewal/cancellation announcements going on, I forgot to post last night's ratings!

Friday night's ratings:
Fast-Demo-2018-May-11.FRI_.png

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They got rid of shows either well past their prime or that barely caught on with anyone.
Yeah, other than the shows that were ending (The Middle and Scandal) they only killed stuff under a 1.0 season average keeping only Murder and For the People (both because of Shonda) and Shield still has a shot (because of Disney).

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this. Not an avid comic reader so no need to worry about authenticity.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I guess Gotham is basically a cheesier version of Killing Eve. :p

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
You type that like it's a bad thing, but that's why it's amazing.
Gotham has bad cocaine dead souls. Now Zoo, Zoo had the good stuff.

Or rather Zoo had a first season that isn't utterly fucking dreadful so you can go through that to get to the good bits. I did actually try a later Gotham episode because I heard that it was balls out crazy, and I rather like Cameron Monaghan (for reasons). But Zoo it decidedly is not.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people don't like the show on here, but I enjoyed Scorpion. The stunts they pulled were downright ridiculous, but I didn't watch it for that. I watched it for the characters, the interaction between one another.

That said, I would have been ok with the cancellation with the exception on how the season ended. There was no cliffhanger of sorts, but also not a good way to wrap-up the series. Very unsatisfying. Would just like to see even a 5 episode 'good' way to wrap-up the group, but of course we will never get it.

I will miss the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.