• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Lost in Oz season 2 is up on Amazon Prime. I love this show, didn't realize it was coming out on the 8th. Now to convince my daughter to watch it

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting stats from Hulu, I don't recall any streaming service ever releasing real numbers like this before.

* Hulu viewers are watching, on average, ten different shows at a time.
* 60,000 Hulu subscribers have already watched all 60 hours (or 120 episodes) of "Boy Meets World," . The average "Boy Meets World" viewer on Hulu is 32, which means they were 7 years old when the show first premiered.
* The average "Family Matters" fan who watched the entire series in 2017 on Hulu — all nine seasons that aired from 1989 to 1997 — completed their binge within a month. That's equal to consuming more than two seasons of Urkel and company per week. And "Family Matters" average viewer age on the service is 34.
* Beyond TGIF, Hulu also shared that 35,000 watched all 10 seasons of "Futurama" in just 18 days — equal to more than eight episodes per day.
* More than 35,000 people watched every episode of "ER" (all 331 episodes) in the first two months it was available on Hulu.
* Hulu viewers watched more than 135 million hours of "South Park" and 105 million hours of "Law & Order: SVU" in 2017.
I did that the hard way. 2 eps a morning while getting ready for work on TNT

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Confirming what's been said before regarding Fargo S4:
Catching up with Fargo EP Warren Littlefield today at the PGA's Produced By, he told Deadline that season 4 of the Emmy-winning FX series "will go into production in the fall of 2019."

"(Creator) Noah Hawley is directing a film this summer (Natalie Portman in Fox Searchlight's Pale Blue Dot), and then in the fourth quarter, he'll write the opening hour of Fargo, and then at the top of the year, the writers' room will go to work. Hopefully we get most of the season written, and then in fall go into production."

In regards to season 4's theme, Littlefield was largely mum, saying, "We have a year, a city, and a location."

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Does People of Earth have a decent series finale if it needed one? I've been tempted to try it out but don't like getting to the end of an abruptly cancelled show and being left on a cliffhanger.

Is it okay to skip season 1 of Halt and Catch Fire if season 2 reboots it anyway?

Might as well watch it at 1.5 times the speed while you're at it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is Ben in Parks & Rec the best "character introduced later into a show that you cant imagine the show without him" ever?

also Ben and Leslie slow build towards their relationship is fantastic. Parks & Rec was the fucking best.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
is Ben in Parks & Rec the best "character introduced later into a show that you cant imagine the show without him" ever?

also Ben and Leslie slow build towards their relationship is fantastic. Parks & Rec was the fucking best.
I'll have to a gree. I've been watching the show as of late and his dry personality meshes well with the more robust cast. He's better than Mark at being the 'straight man' in every way.

Paige from Charmed could count if you only include seasons 3 and 4. Replacing a sister could have been a disaster, but she turned out to be a fan favorite.

Then subsequent seasons turned it all to crap.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Kaos': Netflix Orders Series Reimagining Greek Mythology From Charlie Covell
Netflix has announced another new series tonight: Kaos, a darkly comic reimaging of Greek mythology from creator-writer Charlie Covell (Netflix's The End of The F***ing World).

Here's the official logline for the 10-episode straight-to-series Kaos: A darkly comedic and contemporary reimagining of Greek mythology, exploring themes of gender politics, power, and life in the underworld. No cast or other creatives were announced.
Netflix Orders 'Away' Mission To Mars Series From Jason Katims & Matt Reeves
Netflix has given a formal 10-episode series order to Away, a drama series from playwright Andrew Hinderaker, Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights, Parenthood) and Matt Reeves (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Felicity).

Written by Hinderaker, the series, loosely inspired by Chris Jones' Esquire article of the same name, hails from Katims' True Jack Prods., Reeves' 6th & Idaho and Universal TV where True Jack is based. It is described as an epic love story and a thrilling tale of survival set against humanity's greatest endeavor – the first human mission to Mars.

Away centers on Emma Green, an American astronaut who must leave her husband and teenage daughter behind in order to command an international space crew embarking upon a treacherous, year-long mission. It is a series about hope, humanity and how ultimately, we need one another if we are to achieve impossible things.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline with some brief backstory on The Expanse Amazon pickup: Amazon Studios Boss On How 'The Expanse' Was Saved
The Expanse pickup announcement followed an elaborate fan campaign that included renting a plane to fly a #Save The Expanse banner over the Amazon headquarters. It was made in a dramatic fashion by Amazon's chairman himself, Jeff Bezos, at National Space Society's International Space Development Conference in Los Angeles where he was an honoree an hour or so afterThe Expanse cast and showrunner did a panel at the same event.

"There were airplanes circling us, I was having cakes delivered, there was a whole thing happening," Salke said of The Expense campaign. "And then really smart people, whose opinions I really value creatively, started reaching out to me, saying, "have you seen this show, The Expanse, it's actually great". I hadn't so I spent some time, I watched the show and I was like, this show is actually really well done, why is nobody watching it? At the same time, Jeff Bezos was getting emails from everyone from George R.R. Martin to every captain of industry, like the founder of Craigslist, and they were all writing, saying, there's this show, it's so great, you have to see it, you have to buy it or save it.

We were trying to explore the deal, and we could make the U.S. deal pretty easily because they were kind of just standing outside, holding it out to us. We had it pretty much done when (Bezos) emailed saying, "I'm at an event, a space seminar, I'm looking at the cast of The Expanse here, I would like to get up there and order the show. Can I, can I?" I was like, let me check with business affairs, and then replied, you can do it, go for it. It was so fun to watch it on Twitter Live; I could see him do it in real time.

So, yes, he's a big fan, and it was fun to be able to support that, not just for him but for all the people that really love that show. (New co-head of TV) Vernon (Sanders) really loved the show, and so he was saying, we can make that show into something. A lot of really smart people said they loved the show, and I actually appreciated it once I looked at it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So random to see Ghosted show back on my watchlist out of nowhere. I knew the eps were coming, but gotta feel bad for the show.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped One Tree Hill because of the cast changes, but if Hilarie Burton and Sophia Bush will be in the Christmas special (?) then I'll definitely watch it. :)

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
WGN America Picks Up Procedural Series 'Carter' With Jerry O'Connell & Sydney Poitier Heartsong, 'Gone' With Chris Noth
WGN America is adding to its Prime Crime slate with the acquisition of two original series in the detective procedural genre — the comedic Carter, starring Jerry O'Connell (Billions), Sydney Poitier Heartsong (Chicago P.D.) and Kristian Bruun (Orphan Black), which will premiere August 7, and crime drama Gone, starring Chris Noth (The Good Wife), Leven Ramblin (The Hunger Games) and Danny Pino (CSI: Miami), for debut in early 2019.

Carter and Gone are part of WGN America's new programming strategy of cost-effective originals launched a year ago that involves acquisitions of already produced series, virtually all in the crime arena. The two new pickups represent a new element in the tactic. While all previous acquisitions have been foreign series — 2017 Canadian detective drama Bellevue starring Anna Paquin, 2015 Swedish-American thriller 100 Code, 2016 Canadian police series Shoot the Messenger and the 2017 Canadian drama Pure — Carter and Gone, while having international pedigree, both originated in the US.
The 10-episode Carter was created by Garry Campbell (MADtv), who developed it alongside writer John Tinker (Chicago Hope). It revolves around Harley Mackay (O'Connell), an actor playing a detective on a hit television show until he is forced to retreat to his sleepy hometown after an embarrassing public meltdown in Hollywood. Now that he's back, he taps into his acting experience to become a real-life detective, partnering with his two best friends, Sam Shaw (Heartstrong) and Dave Leigh (Bruun).

Created by Matt Lopez (The Sorcerer's Apprentice) based on Chelsea Cain's novel One Kick, Gone follows the story of Kit "Kick" Lannigan (Rambin), survivor of a highly publicized child-abduction case, and Frank Novak (Noth), the FBI agent who rescued her. Determined never to fall victim again, Kick trains herself in martial arts and the use of firearms. She finds her calling when Novak persuades her to join a special task force he created dedicated to solving abductions and missing persons cases. Paired with former Army intelligence officer John Bishop (Pino), Kick brings her unique understanding of a predator's mind to the team.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Pop Orders 'Florida Girls' Comedy Series Created By & Starring Laura Chinn
Pop has given a 10-episode series order to Florida Girls, its half-hour original scripted comedy pilot from The Mick writer-producer Laura Chinn, Lionsgate TV, Jax Media and 3 Arts Entertainment. Chinn created, executive produces and stars in the series, slated to begin production this fall.

Florida Girls, inspired by Chinn's life, is a female-centered series in front and behind the camera. The pilot for the female ensemble comedy was written by Chinn and directed by Lilly Burns.

Florida Girls focuses on four girls living in Small Town, Florida who confront their stagnant lives when their only ambitious friend moves away to follow her dreams. It follows the four girlfriends who are partying under the poverty line while navigating very relatable problems as they try to better their situations. Living in a dilapidated beach town full of alcoholics, these street-wise women haphazardly attempt to find self-worth and learn to "adult" in a society that deems poor, uneducated women as valueless. Their backbone ultimately lies within their tight-knit, non-judgmental and loving friendship.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Adalian's deep dive into Netflix for NY Mag: Inside the Binge Factory
Companion pieces to this:
NY Mag: How Netflix Is Trying to Make Sure Its Shows Don't Get Lost
KCRW podcast: Checking out the inner workings of Netflix

Also, the New Yorker on Skam:

SKAM," the Radical Teen Drama That Unfolds One Post at a Time
Is a narrative built from Facebook comments, texts, and Instagram Stories the future of TV?

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Aeon Flux' Live-Action TV Reboot Set at MTV
MTV is revisiting Aeon Flux.

The Viacom-owned cabler is developing a live-action reboot of the animated series that originally ran on the younger-skewing network for three seasons in 1990s.

Teen Wolf showrunner Jeff Davis is on board to pen the script and exec produce the drama alongside The Walking Dead's Gale Anne Hurd. Hurd, who was not attached to the original series, produced the 2005 feature film starring Charlize Theron.

The live-action series is set in a future dystopian state and revolves around a young assassin who teams with a group of biohacking rebels to save humanity as she becomes the hero known as Aeon Flux.
I made this happen. Yesterday I was the first person to mention Aeon Flux in a decade, briefly on a Discord server. Undoubtedly this massive surge in online activity I created is what greenlit this.

... also I kinda want this show, pls don't suck as much as the movie.

Look here you bastards, nothing will fill the void left after Zoo. Also pls sign the petition if you haven't already, we nearly have 1000 signatures!

in somehow dumber sounding CBS (well, CBSAA) show news:
CBS All Access Orders 'Tell Me A Story' Dark Fairytale Thriller Series From Kevin Williamson & Kapital Entertainment
So, uh;
'Tell Me A Story': James Wolk To Star In Kevin Williamson's CBS All Access Series
Former Zoo star James Wolk is returning to the CBS fold
Written by Williamson, Tell Me a Storytakes the world's most beloved fairy tales and reimagines them as a dark and twisted psychological thriller. Set in modern-day New York City, the first season of this serialized drama interweaves "The Three Little Pigs," "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Hansel and Gretel" into an epic and subversive tale of love, loss, greed, revenge and murder.

Wolk will play Jordan, a young, idealistic and successful NYC restaurateur. When the unimaginable happens, Jordan's life falls apart and he begins a decent into madness that could cost him everything, even himself.
Moonves you glorious bastard, i guess I'll have to become a CBSAA evangelist now.
Also, the New Yorker on Skam:
By the end of Season 2, ninety-eight per cent of Norwegian teens between fifteen and nineteen knew about the show—more than knew about "Game of Thrones."
There is no way this statistic is accurate. Two percent not knowing about SKAM is just lies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
NY Mag: Behind Netflix's Major Push Into Unscripted Television
There 's a plan to do some short-form reality content, including something called Cooking on High. It's a cannabis-themed cooking show where each of the first season's 12 episodes will be a brief ten minutes. The splashiest project previewed, however, is a music-themed docuseries called Westside, and it's clear Netflix is hoping the show will generate the same sort of viral buzz as this winter's Queer Eye revival. Jenn Levy, a Bravo expatriate, outlines the concept of the show, which is being produced by Love Productions (the company behind The Great British Bake Off) and Madwood Studios. "It's a really never-done before approach to a docu-soap," she says. "It tells the story of nine aspiring musicians living in Los Angeles, working together, hanging out together. There's character development and plotlines you find in some of our best scripted series. But it's all done in a really raw and authentic way." And then there's the twist: "The hook is, they also break into song," Levy says. "Think The Hills meets La La Land or Glee with a whole lot more edge."
A few more unannounced projects are highlighted, including a big talent get for Netflix: British comedian Jimmy Carr, host of the long-running Channel 4 show 8 out of 10 Cats. He'll bring the panel format to America with The Fix, which will be produced by Embassy Row, the company behind Netflix's Beyond Stranger Things talk show. Each episode will have Carr and two permanent team captains — D.L. Hughley and Katherine Ryan— interacting with guest comedians and actual experts to tackle a massive issue facing the world (all in a comedic fashion). Netflix is also leaning into the confectionary category with Sugar Rush, a baking competition from Magical Elves (the producers of Nailed It!) where speed is key. Noted pastry chefs Candace Nelson and Adriano Zumbo will act as judges; Hunter March is set to host.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 10-episode Carter was created by Garry Campbell (MADtv), who developed it alongside writer John Tinker (Chicago Hope). It revolves around Harley Mackay (O'Connell), an actor playing a detective on a hit television show until he is forced to retreat to his sleepy hometown after an embarrassing public meltdown in Hollywood. Now that he's back, he taps into his acting experience to become a real-life detective, partnering with his two best friends, Sam Shaw (Heartstrong) and Dave Leigh (Bruun).
Isn't this the same concept behind "The Grinder."

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.