• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Disney will cancel everything Ryan Murphy makes except for American Horror Story and American Crime Story. OR... Disney could actually make Ryan Murphy the new Shonda Rimes (ABC is dominated with Shonda Rimes shows and more and more are added every single year but Shonda is leaving them soon for Netflix so maybe Ryan Murphy can carry the torch?). I mean Disney will own all of Fox TV studio's IPs and could decide to make them Hulu originals or put them on ABC. And they will also own FX so they could put more of his shows on there too.
Ryan Murphy on Fox-Disney Merger: 'I Thought I Would Be Buried on the Fox Lot'
Murphy also said that he received personal calls from both Rupert Murdoch and Bob Iger when news of the deal first broke. "I said point blank the stuff I do is not Disney and I'm not interested in that and I'm concerned about that. 'Am I going to have put Mickey Mouse in "American Horror Story?"' [Iger] said no and the reason Disney is buying Fox is that they believed in the assets and the executives and the creators."

Murphy, whose overall deal expires later this year, said he was taking a wait-and-see attitude to his own future. "I'm interested to see what the company is going to look like before I make any decisions," he said. "I've decided to wait and sit back and talk to my friends who are my bosses and see what's happening to them, and make a decision once we see what's happening."
He doesn't have a strong argument. It basically means reviews are out of sync with viewer expectations.
Not that I find Adalian's argument flawless, but I think that a channel like NBC would have renewed it. Or at least give it a better shot, see Great News and Trial & Error.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dirk Gently Season 2 added to my region's Netflix (start of January so close enough to the "end of the year" prediction Ratsky had a few weeks ago) but its so bittersweet knowing it was canceled :(

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fast-Demo-2018-Jan-04.THU_.png

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just a quick question, the OP said casualty but the name of some of the shows are marked (ending) does that mean it got cancelled but have a proper ending? Cuz there's some of the show i wanted to watch and was waiting for them to be completed.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick question, the OP said casualty but the name of some of the shows are marked (ending) does that mean it got cancelled but have a proper ending? Cuz there's some of the show i wanted to watch and was waiting for them to be completed.
Yes. (unless I screwed some up, and I probably did)

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Mayans MC': 'Sons Of Anarchy' Spinoff Gets Series Order At FX – TCA
FX has picked up to series Mayans MC, Kurt Sutter's Sons of Anarchy spinoff, with a 10-episode order for a 2018 premiere. The announcement was made today at TCA.

The series order comes after the pilot underwent a reshoot and recasting of some key roles. FX CEO John Landgraf expressed optimism for the future of the spinoff at last summer's TCA, saying that he expected a pickup in about three months.
ajQK4cR.gif

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
FX CEO John Landgraf Says 'Fargo' Season 4 Will Air In 2019 – TCA
"Fargo is not gone," FX boss John Landgraf assured during the network's winter TCA executive session this morning in Pasadena

The CEO said creator Noah Hawley "has an idea which excites me enormously for a fourth cycle. The plan is to have that ready for 2019. I'm focused on what will come in 2018, but our anticipation is that there's another cycle in 2019."
Did we know it was coming back?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Wednesday finals are finally out!

The X-Files - 1.3

X-Files ended up performing well below expectations.

9-1-1 - 1.8

Winner!

Fail!

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Noah Hawley is going to crash soon, haha, how does he do it?!
Pfft. Jack Thorne has had a brand new show every year (entirely written by him) since 2014. Bah he didn't write an entire show in 2017, but he might be putting out two shows this year to compensate. In addition to writing additional episodes for other shows, theatre work, and film work (including Wonder, and a very brief stint at Star Wars).

Luckily for me he's one of my favourite writers so I welcome his productivity (and just hope he doesn't work himself to death).

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Pfft. Jack Thorne has had a brand new show every year (entirely written by him) since 2014. Bah he didn't write an entire show in 2017, but he might be putting out two shows this year to compensate. In addition to writing additional episodes for other shows, theatre work, and film work (including Wonder, and a very brief stint at Star Wars).

Luckily for me he's one of my favourite writers so I welcome his productivity (and just hope he doesn't work himself to death).

Thorne is a good comparison, since he's non-stop, too, with theatre and movies on top of it all. I wonder if he's still attached to the His Dark Materials adaptation.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Not happy hearing about The X-Files' ratings. I guess last season disappointed people. But then again Gillian says she's leaving so do ratings even matter now?

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Thorne is a good comparison, since he's non-stop, too, with theatre and movies on top of it all. I wonder if he's still attached to the His Dark Materials adaptation.
Hawley cheats and uses a writers room ;)
(I don't actually consider a writers room cheating)

He is but haven't talked at any length about it since this interview in April of last year, if we hear nothing about it in 2018 it might be dead. Then again I was certain that Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was dead before it leapt to screen. UK TV is weird that way.

edit: fuck me it's apparently happening!
Pre-production of His Dark Materials will start before Christmas, before moving into production early next year.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/wales-biggest-tv-film-studio-13041792

Last edited:

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Hawley cheats and uses a writers room ;)
(I don't actually consider a writers room cheating)

He is but haven't talked at any length about it since this interview in April of last year, if we hear nothing about it in 2018 it might be dead. Then again I was certain that Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was dead before it leapt to screen. UK TV is weird that way.

edit: fuck me it's apparently happening!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/wales-biggest-tv-film-studio-13041792

News of the week for me, thanks for finding this!

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
News of the week for me, thanks for finding this!
Found a later article with slightly different timeframe:
The TV adaption of the historical fantasy novel A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Harkness, will be filmed at the new 250,000 sq ft Wolf Studios Wales in Cardiff Bay, as well as locations around south Wales and Oxford.

Bad Wolf will then move straight into filming the adaption of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials on completion of A Discovery of Witches.
A Discovery of Witches started shooting in September, has had a few snippets in trailers and press photos released, etc. So we should probably hear something soon!

And definitely the best news of the week! (and this week has had a lot of news to compete with)

I also like how I proved my damn point about UK TV, do some fucking publicly accessible press releases or something you bastards. I shouldn't have to go on a google hunt to find news about your show in order to shill for it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Man Blacklist was absolutely incredible last night, probably the best midseason return I can think of.(and my favorite episode of the series)
Liz was always my least favorite part of the series but damn they really knew how to take advantage of the midseason final plot development.
basically
pFvNwXu

to everyone else in the episode.

I kinda agree(while technically weird for this show), then at least you have a clear message that is sadly based in some truth.
This felt like "We got 'em" but this family is now fucked up, especially the little brother who basically got his family member taken away to some black hole.

I definitely understand what they were going for, just felt weird here.
It's funny, that dumb show from last year with Goggins (Bravo Six? Seal Team Six? Team Six? Whatever lol) actually started with one of them executing a civilian/suspected terrorist, so at least it was interesting in that regard.

I think about these shows, even cop shows, where they just go in guns blazing and light everyone up like it's a Call of Duty game and I find myself appreciating that on SWAT, they actually use rubber bullets and go out of their way to arrest people instead of headshotting them. lol

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Kiernan Shipka To Star In Netflix's Sabrina The Teenage Witch Series
Netflix has found its Sabrina. Mad Men and Feud: Bette and Joan alum Kiernan Shipka has been tapped to star as the titular heroine in Netflix's upcoming original series based on the Archie Comics graphic novel The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Shipka will play Sabrina Spellman, an empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, who is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.

Originally in development at the CW as a potential companion to Riverdale, also based on characters from Archie Comics, the untitled Sabrina project landed a 20-episode, two-season, straight-to-series order at Netflix early last month.

The Netflix series comes from the same team as Riverdale: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. TV. Aguirre-Sacasa, who penned the Riverdale pilot, and Lee Toland Krieger, who directed it, are reprising their roles on the Sabrina pilot episode. Aguirre-Sacasa executive produces with Krieger, Berlanti Prods.' Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as well as Archie Comics' CEO Jon Goldwater.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly interested in the Sons spinoff, I enjoyed at least the first four seasons of the main show.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

In the #metoo era, the time seemed right for a new installment of feminist period drama Good Girls Revolt, hastily canceled by Amazon a year ago. There was enthusiasm by fans and the show's cast online, and there was incoming interest by networks and streaming platforms, including Amazon, which led to a second-season pitch by series creator Dana Calvo, which was taken out by Sony Pictures TV's TriStar Television. But in the end, no deal was reached, and I hear the effort to resurrect Good Girls Revolt is now over.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the encore presentation of 9-1-1. It wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure its a show I'll stick with though. I can understand why so many people watched it though

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Mayans MC': 'Sons Of Anarchy' Spinoff Gets Series Order At FX – TCA

I hope they won't make them ~90 minute episodes, SoA was already bad in the final seasons and the long episodes made it even worse. I'll watch the pilot out of curiosity, but tbh Mayans were never an MC I particularly liked. I still think a prequel show would've been a better idea (probably a more expensive though).

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they won't make them ~90 minute episodes, SoA was already bad in the final seasons and the long episodes made it even worse. I'll watch the pilot out of curiosity, but tbh Mayans were never an MC I particularly liked. I still think a prequel show would've been a better idea (probably a more expensive though).

Oh you know we're getting super long musical montages (sung by Katey Sagal).

Status
Not open for further replies.