Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
More American Idol? Ugh.

I'm happy to see This is Us' ratings -- it had another great episode on Tuesday. It's good people are giving The Middle some of the credit it's due. Kevin Probably Saves the World's ratings are worrying though, as it's a fun show.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The premiere of the new Strike Back premiered to 135K viewers on Cinemax.

The first season that aired on Cinemax, when they weren't yet known for (this type:) of original programming, premiered to 567K. The series averaged around 300K L+SD viewers across its 5 seasons. The finale of the Scott/Stonebridge saga earned 286K.

~

That's what you get when you basically abandon your entire programming initiative for several years while you focus on righting the main ship.

That's not good, I wonder if they'll end it with only this one "new" season.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon/Liberty Global Back Sci-Fi Drama 'The Feed' From 'The Walking Dead' Producer & Studio Lambert
Amazon and Liberty Global are travelling into the future with their latest big-budget drama order – a social media-infused sci-fi series from The Walking Dead exec producer Channing Powell and British producer Studio Lambert.

The SVOD service and the European pay-TV operator have commissioned The Feed, a TV adaptation of Nick Clark Windo's dystopian novel. It will air on Amazon in the U.S., Canada and Latin America, while Liberty Global will air across Europe including on UK cable platform Virgin Media. All3Media International will distribute globally.

The "Walking Dead-meets-Black Mirror"-style ten-part series is set in a near-future world where people can download a social media feed directly into their brains and follows a couple who find their six-year-old daughter missing after the 'Feed' goes down and society crumbles. The book, which was released last month, is published by Headline and HarperCollins US.
"Walking Dead-meets-Black Mirror"...

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Crazy Ex...Boyfriend?

The hybrid comedy follows twenty-something Kyle who comes to Austin to finally convince his old best friend from camp they are perfect for each other. Unfortunately, she just got engaged. A lot of guys would give up, but Kyle is not one of those guys. To Kyle's surprise, even though he came to town looking for "the one," he might end up with much more than that.

https://www.avclub.com/cbs-and-seth...ium=SocialMarketing&__twitter_impression=true

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Crazy Ex...Boyfriend?

The hybrid comedy follows twenty-something Kyle who comes to Austin to finally convince his old best friend from camp they are perfect for each other. Unfortunately, she just got engaged. A lot of guys would give up, but Kyle is not one of those guys. To Kyle's surprise, even though he came to town looking for "the one," he might end up with much more than that.

https://www.avclub.com/cbs-and-seth...ium=SocialMarketing&__twitter_impression=true

I smell lawsuit!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. Get those new episodes in while you can. Reruns and the Winter Olympics will be the only things we'll see for the next month:

Fast-Demo-2018-Feb-07.WED_.png

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The Little Drummer Girl starts filming today!

Ugh, Riverdale dropped. The quality have surely been a mixed bag this season. I'm glad we got the Winter Olympics. Will give me time to catch up with The Handmaid's Tale, Legion, The Good Place, Agents of Shield, Black Mirror and Stranger Things.

Finished Altered Carbon. Great world building, atmosphere and visuals. Interesting themes and stuff they can play around with. But the casting was pretty bad, very mediocre writing and way too much exposition. Mixed bag, but I'm up for a second season.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mireille Enos, Joel Kinnaman & Esme Creed-Miles To Star In 'Hanna' TV Series Adaptation For Amazon
Former The Killing stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman are reuniting on a new series. The duo have been cast along with up-and-comer Esme Creed-Miles (Dark River, Pond Life, Mister Lonely), in Hanna, Amazon's straight-to-series drama based on Focus Features' offbeat 2011 assassin pic.

David Farr, who co-wrote the feature, penned the adaptation, which will be directed by Sarah Adina Smith (Legion, Room 104, Buster's Mal Heart). The series, which hails from and NBCUniversal International Studios, is slated to begin production in March across Hungary, Slovakia, Spain and the UK.

Hanna is equal parts high-concept thriller and coming-of-age drama, which follows the journey of an extraordinary young girl, Hanna (Creed-Miles) as she evades the relentless pursuit of an off-book CIA agent and tries to unearth the truth behind who she is.
I thought Kinnaman would be tied up with Altered Carbon, but I don't know much about that series and the books.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos reunite for Amazon's "Hanna" adaptation.
The Killing co-stars Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos are reuniting to star in Hanna, Amazon's upcoming series adaptation of the 2011 thriller, TVLine has learned. Like the film, Hannacenters on a teen girl who's been raised to be an assassin. Kinnaman will play the girl's father Erik, a battle-tested soldier who's trained Hanna how to survive in the remote forests of Poland. Enos will play Marissa, an ambitious CIA agent who's racing to track down Hanna.

Additionally, newcomer Esme Creed-Miles will play Hanna (a role played by Oscar nominee Saoirse Ronan in the original film). David Farr, who co-wrote the 2011 film, will pen the pilot; Sarah Adina Smith (Legion, Room 104) is set to direct.
Edit: Goddamnit.

But to echo Cornballer's statement, I thought Kinnaman would be busy.

Maybe they're going to recast Kovacs or maybe his role in Hanna is less demanding than expected. I expect he'll just be a part of flashbacks spliced in during episodes.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The move away from a murder mystery to soap opera bullshit is probably pushing down what little interest the CW audience has in the show.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Joel Kinnaman is replaced for season two of Altered Carbon. I would be up for Byron Mann. But this show had plenty of bad castings already unfortunately.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I saw a commercial about a magician joining the FBI to solve cases last night. But when I woke up this morning the concept seemed so outlandish that I thought it might be a dream. Turns out its real. A show named "Deception"

Any concept gets on TV, huh? Lol. I love it. Although I don't plan to watch the show.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like every Q1 this year has been pushed back:

Legion: 2 months
Better Call Saul: ?? months
Trial and Error: ?? months
(Not to mention, Game of Thrones: 1 year)

I guess between the delays and the Olympics, it's helping me play catch up (and most likely the reason why so many new seasons held off a bit).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So a Charmed reboot is a thing and Holly Marie Combs and Jennie Mccarthy are not happy about it?

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Amazon seems to have a shit ton of ambitious genre shows in the works. Hope the bubble there doesn't burst.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Little America' Immigrant Anthology Series In Works At Apple From 'The Big Sick' Writers, Lee Eisenberg & Alan Yang
Apple is developing Little America, a half-hour anthology series from Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, the Oscar-nominated writers of indie hit The Big Sick, SMILF executive producer Lee Eisenberg, Master of None co-creator/executive producer Alan Yang and Universal Television.

Written by Eisenberg, who will serve as showrunner, Nanjiani and Gordon, Little America is based on the true stories featured in Epic Magazine and described on the site as "a small, collective portrait of America's immigrants — and thereby a portrait of America itself." The TV series will go beyond the headlines to look at the funny, romantic, heartfelt, inspiring and unexpected lives of immigrants in America, at a time when their stories are more relevant than ever.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it funny that in TV Hanah they will move the remote training area from Finland to Poland :D But I'm in. Kinnaman ended up having surprisingly strong action hero charisma in Altered Carbon and the movie Hanah, while good, always felt like it barely scratched the surface of the concept.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the show was already on a downward trend?

Wtf at this new iteration. It really doesn't sound good. Can't believe Cinemax ended the two best action shows on TV, canned their most promising series, only to pick up a crappy spinoff and a shitty looking crime thriller.

If it wasn't tied to HBO here in Canada, I'd happily dump them. Movie selection is shit, too.
Fucking Cinemax. I hate them so much. They screwed up last season of Banshee, they killed Rain series and they fricking canceled Quarry. I had so much hope about them when they were on the rise :(
And just to add insult to the injury, even after scaling back their original programming ambitions they still didn't bring the erotic anthology series :D

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this was always the plan.
Well the Eric Bana part, which would be the one Kinnaman plays, in the film version of Hanna wasn't particularly big and there is an in-universe way Kinnaman wouldn't be back for much in Altered Carbon.
I wonder if they'll work in flashbacks or some other development to put Enos and Kinnaman together, since IIRC those characters never really interact in the movie.
I feel like every Q1 this year has been pushed back:

Legion: 2 months
Better Call Saul: ?? months
Trial and Error: ?? months
(Not to mention, Game of Thrones: 1 year)

I guess between the delays and the Olympics, it's helping me play catch up (and most likely the reason why so many new seasons held off a bit).
Better Call Saul is aiming for September.
Fucking Cinemax. I hate them so much. They screwed up last season of Banshee, they killed Rain series and they fricking canceled Quarry. I had so much hope about them when they were on the rise :(
And just to add insult to the injury, even after scaling back their original programming ambitions they still didn't bring the erotic anthology series :D
I don't think Rain was killed per se. I believe the John Wick guys basically said it was up to Reeves, and he decided he wanted to commit to doing more John Wick stuff instead.

Oct 25, 2017

So I was like 'wut' reading a man's name because I was thinking of the novel trilogy starting with Feed, which is written by Mira grant.

Reading the premise of what 'THE Feed' is about, I noticed it's similar to an episode of The Outer Limits, where someone with a cranial birth defect can't connect with the global brain-network and starts to realize the network is actually affecting everyone adversely. Also, someone looking for a kid through a digitized world is ripe for 'X to JASON' jokes, but that might a bit niche.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Passage' Pilot Undergoes Retooling & Casting Changes
Fox has firmed up its course of action for The Passage, its high-profile vampire drama pilot starring Mark-Paul Gosselaar from Liz Heldens, Matt Reeves, Scott Free and 20th Century Fox TV.

The project has been reconceived, and new footage for the pilot will be shot in March in Atlanta by a new director, Jason Ensler. As part of the creative changes, the storylines of three characters in the original pilot, Alicia Donadio, Peter Jaxon and Sarah Fisher, have been eliminated, and the actors who played them are departing the project — Genesis Rodriguez, BJ Britt and Jennifer Ferrin. The void will be filled by three new characters that have been added and will be cast, Dr. Tim Fanning, Dr. Major Nichole Sykes and Dr. Lila Kyle.

The reworked pilot will be in consideration with the rest of Fox's 2018 pilots for the May upfront.

The original pilot, directed by Marcos Siega, was filmed off-cycle last summer and was delivered to the network for midseason consideration. The pilot was met with mixed reaction but the network brass liked enough in what they saw to remain high on the adaptation of Justin Cronin's fantasy book trilogy and, along with 20th TV, commission a small writers room to brainstorm on creative changes and work on new bible and scripts.

Here is the tweaked concept for The Passage:

Based on author Justin Cronin's best-selling trilogy of the same name, The Passage is an epic, character-driven thriller about a secret government medical facility experimenting with a dangerous virus that could either cure all disease or cause the downfall of the human race. The series focuses on a 10-year-old girl named Amy Bellafonte, who is chosen to be a test subject for this experiment and Brad Wolgast, the Federal agent who becomes her surrogate father as he tries to protect her.
Having read the series, I don't really see how this is going to work with the changes, but I guess they're adjusting the scope considerably. It would be very difficult to film as written.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Lisa Harrison Inks First-Look Deal With FX Productions, Sets Noah Hawley Drama
The first project Harrison will develop with FX is The Body, an original drama pilot written by Quinn Shephard. Harrison and Shephard will executive produce alongside Hawley and John Cameron and their 26 Keys Productions. The Body is a small town thriller that unravels dark secrets held by a group of female students at the local Catholic high school.
Jennifer Garner to Star in HBO Comedy From 'Girls' Duo Lena Dunham, Jenni Konner
The Alias grad has been tapped to star in Camping, HBO's eight-episode, straight-to-series comedy from Girls duo Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner. Camping is described as a limited series. Production will begin in the spring in L.A.

Written and exec produced by Dunham and Konner, the series revolves around Kathryn, who will be played by Garner in her first TV role since Alias wrapped its five-season run on ABC in 2006. The series kicks off on Walt's (uncast) 45th birthday, which was supposed to be a delightful weekend back to nature, at least according to his obsessively organized and aggressively controlling wife Kathryn. But when the camping trip gathers Kathryn's meek sister, holier than thou ex-best friend and a free-spirited Tagalong in one place, it becomes a weekend of tested marriages and woman on woman crime that won't soon be forgotten. Plus, bears.

Garner's Kathryn Siddell-Bauers is described as a controlling L.A. mom who is far less cheerful than her Lululemons imply. She controls the proceedings with an iron grip until she's faced with a woman who undoes all her best laid plans. Konner and Dunham described the part as "messy, tough and provocative and really, really fun."

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Signs 'Pod Save America' For Campaign Trail Series
Political podcast Pod Save America is headed to HBO. Crooked Media, the company founded by Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett and Tommy Vietor, has struck a deal with the premium cable channel for a series of hour-long specials this fall.

"At a time when politics affect the lives of Americans more than ever before, 'Pod Save America' has brought fresh and thoughtful voices to the discussion," said Casey Bloys, president, HBO Programming, announcing the deal. "We're excited to share the irreverent and entertaining insights of these savvy observers with the HBO audience."

The specials will follow the podcasters on the fall campaign trail.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Unveils Inaugural Streaming Service Launch Slate To Town; No R-Rated Fare
The studio has been conducting meetings within the creative community to give a sense of its new OTT service that will launch in fall 2019. Perhaps not surprisingly at this point, there was no mention of how the assets of 21st Century Fox will fit into the new service.
the OTT platform, whose price point wasn't mentioned, will start with a domestic service only, and then expand overseas. There will be no R-rated films, and the programming will be consistent with the Disney brand. The R-rated stuff will go on Hulu. The plan now is to leave the various Marvel series where they are, which means Netflix will hang onto its superhero inventory.

The goal in the first year is to generate four to five original movies, and five TV series for the streaming service. Latter will cost between $25 million-$35 million for 10 episodes, but an exceptionally ambitious series [my note: the much rumoured Star Wars TV show?] could have a budget cap of $100 million for that 10-episode season.
Don Quixote, from a Billy Ray script; Lady and the Tramp; The Paper Magician; Stargirl, to be directed by Julia Hart; and Togo, to be directed by Ericson Core.

In post-production and bound for the streaming service are the Mark Waters-directed Magic Camp, and the Mark Lawrence-directed Noelle with Anna Kendrick, Bill Hader and Shirley MacLaine.

Priority development projects include 3 Men and a Baby; Sword and the Stone; and Timmy Failure, the latter of which has Spotlight director Tom McCarthy in the creative mix.

On the TV side the inaugural streaming site slate includes High School Musical, an animated Monsters Inc series; a Marvel live-action title, and a Star Wars-branded title.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Sounds like a service I can safely skip or sign up for one month of the year. Part of the appeal of a Star Wars tv series for me is that they wouldn't be stuck under the MPAA PG-13 boot.

Though if they get fox and put their stuff on Hulu...it would be nice if Hulu was available in Canada/outside the USA.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like His Dark Materials might actually start production soon-ish. Maybe. I think.
The production company have started hiring people (not crew for the shoot, just expanding the production company), their previous show is winding down production they were doing promotional photos this week per instagram (and it was stated that His Dark Materials would be next), and in a Facebook post they stated that His Dark Materials will go into production in 2018.

Yes I just spent way too long stalking them on social media, reading local news, and looked over the local government incentive program. I hate the UK TV industry so much when it comes to this, put out press releases dammit, it's not hard. I know you can, you just did it for the production start of Park Chan-wook's The Little Drummer Girl

adg1034

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like His Dark Materials might actually start production soon-ish. Maybe. I think.
The production company have started hiring people (not crew for the shoot, just expanding the production company), their previous show is winding down production they were doing promotional photos this week per instagram (and it was stated that His Dark Materials would be next), and in a Facebook post they stated that His Dark Materials will go into production in 2018.

Yes I just spent way too long stalking them on social media, reading local news, and looked over the local government incentive program. I hate the UK TV industry so much when it comes to this, put out press releases dammit, it's not hard. I know you can, you just did it for the production start of Park Chan-wook's The Little Drummer Girl

Did you find anything on the long-simmering City Watch show from Terry Pratchett's estate?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

This has to happen soon, I've been waiting forever.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Did you find anything on the long-simmering City Watch show from Terry Pratchett's estate?
That one has been quiet for ages, there's no broadcaster attached and the Pratchett estate/production company is busy with Good Omens right now. So if there is any news on it (and there has been nothing to suggest that there has been) that news will come after Good Omens have wrapped.
This has to happen soon, I've been waiting forever.
Same. And I should have waited until today to do my stalking (from a local reporter):

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
THR: TV Pilot Season 2018: By the Numbers
Here's the big-picture snapshot:

Grand total: 74 (74 in 2017)
Dramas: 45 (41 in 2017)
Comedies: 28 (33 in 2017)
Single-cam: 12 (23 in 2017)
Multicam: 16 (7 in 2017)
Code:
Network     2018     2017      2016    2015    2014    2013    2012                           

ABC         22       24        24      25      27      24      24
CBS         18       17        17      18      19      23      16
Fox         11       13        19      15      16      16      16
The CW       9        6         6       4       6       8       8
NBC         14       14        22      23      27      27      23     

Totals      74       74        88      85      95      98      87

More at the link, including a look at the production companies. Sony Pictures TV is suffering this year from not having a network affiliation.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
- Onion A|V Club: Netflix created a monster with its Cloverfield stunt, and Altered Carbon won't be the last victim
This past weekend saw the release of a big, expensive, attention-getting science fiction spectacle on streaming service Netflix, one that had people talking throughout the subsequent week. Unfortunately for the people behind it, that spectacle wasn't Altered Carbon.

Despite creating a 10-episode series whose visual design looks like it easily crossed over into the higher end of eight figures (guesstimates place it as arguably the costliest first season of television in history, comparable only to something like Game Of Thrones—not that Netflix is telling), the company derailed basically all the promotional steam the show had built up by unleashing the surprise reveal of The Cloverfield Paradox during the Super Bowl. And while the stunt worked, in the sense of Netflix's brand getting another big shot of publicity right in the media-attention arm, it also pointed out the true problem with the Netflix model of constant content production. It could only call attention to its sci-fi movie at the expense of its sci-fi series—and at this point, some variant of that narrative is true across the board for nearly all of its properties. This is merely the most glaring example of a flawed business model that can't see the forest for the trees. Netflix has poured truly staggering amounts of money into its programming, but is building a system where almost none of those shows and movies have room to thrive.
More via the link.

Any thoughts on this? I'm curious to what extent Netflix undercut Altered Carbon with the Cloverfield splash, and whether it really matters in the end. Is the sheer amount of content they're producing becoming an issue as shows are lost in the deluge?

Also, I knew Altered Carbon was expensive, but some of the numbers being thrown around ($7 million / ep) are crazy. I imagine it's a show that does well internationally as well as domestically, so perhaps it's a worthwhile investment anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.