• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I watch a lot of trash, or at least shows I don't care about, so I don't feel like I miss anything by not actively watching. lol

Well, I am not saying all my shows are award winning by any means. Almost all of them aren't, actually. And there are a lot here who constantly bash them (i.e. the Arrowverse shows). But I enjoy them, and that's all that matters to me. If I don't enjoy a show, I just don't watch it. I do something else, like read, play some video games or go out.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I am not saying all my shows are award winning by any means. Almost all of them aren't, actually. And there are a lot here who constantly bash them (i.e. the Arrowverse shows). But I enjoy them, and that's all that matters to me. If I don't enjoy a show, I just don't watch it. I do something else, like read, play some video games or go out.
I play video games with TV in the background. It's the only way to have enough hours in the day. lol

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I play video games with TV in the background. It's the only way to have enough hours in the day. lol

Heh, believe me, I know where you are coming from. The backlog on my games is immense. If they just completely stopped making video games now, I would have enough to last me at least a decade with how much (little) time I have to play.

But I still do only one or the other (watch my shows or play my games) at a time. Now, when I am just chilling out at night, not watching my DVRed shows, I will have the TV on in the background and concentrating on playing one of my handheld games (3DS or Vita). That's the closest when I do both.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Good to see Legends bring in solid ratings on the new night and without Flash as a lead-in. I'm curious to see how Black Lightning holds up without a new episode of The Flash and going against the Olympics. Hopefully it can keep that 0.6 demo.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Martin Scorsese teams up with British writer for epic take on the Romans

I'm always down for some Roman drama. No word on just how involved Scorsese is, (i.e. if he's just producing or if he's directing) and no word on where it will be broadcast.

I suppose this spells the end for Vikings. Hirst writes every episode himself (like he did on The Tudors and will presumably do on The Caesars) and has been alluding to an endpoint for at least a year now, suggesting that either season 6 (which is already in production) or season 7 would be the last. If production on the new show doesn't begin until sometime next year, then I suppose he could maybe fit in a seventh season of Vikings if he hasn't already moved onto writing the first season of The Caesars, but I would be surprised if he tried to juggle both shows at once.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose this spells the end for Vikings. Hirst writes every episode himself (like he did on The Tudors and will presumably do on The Caesars) and has been alluding to an endpoint for at least a year now, suggesting that either season 6 (which is already in production) or season 7 would be the last. If production on the new show doesn't begin until sometime next year, then I suppose he could maybe fit in a seventh season of Vikings if he hasn't already moved onto writing the first season of The Caesars, but I would be surprised if he tried to juggle both shows at once.
Is Vikings still doing very well for History? I'm curious how those conversations with History will go if they'd like to keep it on the air a bit longer. I wonder if he's amenable at all to someone else running his creation, though it sounds like he isn't or at least it'd be difficult given he writes all of it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Network shows film each episode in ~7 days, so not exactly, even if it still takes up quite a bit of time
Some shows film for more than 7 days, and even then no show films all of their episodes back to back (there's a bunch of union rules that make it cost prohibitive plus it'd kill your actors). When you include breaks, sick days and other filming interruptions, a particularly intensive 20+ episode show can film from July to April which is 40~ weeks.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some shows film for more than 7 days, and even then no show films all of their episodes back to back (there's a bunch of union rules that make it cost prohibitive plus it'd kill your actors). When you include breaks, sick days and other filming interruptions, a particularly intensive 20+ episode show can film from July to April which is 40~ weeks.
Absolutely. (With breaks included) that's the normal network season. There's plenty of time to film something else April to July if an actor so chooses though. And many shows do episodes where certain characters are light or not there to accommodate them having a second gig.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix just poached Ryan Murphy from 21st Century Fox for a rumored $300 million.
Another mega producer is leaving their longtime TV studio home to head to Netflix. In what is believed to be the biggest TV pact ever, Ryan Murphy, an Emmy, Golden Globe and Peabody Award-winning producer, director and writer, has signed an overall deal with Netflix, which sources say could reach as high as $300 million. It starts July 1.

Under the multi-year agreement, which one industry insider called "the deal of a lifetime for an artist of a lifetime," Murphy and his Ryan Murphy Productions will produce new series and films exclusively at Netflix. Murphy is moving to Netflix, which also is home of top broadcast drama showrunner Shonda Rhimes, after a long stint at 20th Century Fox TV.

"The history of this moment is not lost on me," said Murphy. "I am a gay kid from Indiana who moved to Hollywood in 1989 with $55 dollars in savings in my pocket, so the fact that my dreams have crystallized and come true in such a major way is emotional and overwhelming to me. I am awash in genuine appreciation for Ted Sarandos, Reed Hastings and Cindy Holland at Netflix for believing in me and the future of my company which will continue to champion women, minorities and LGBTQ heroes and heroines, and I am honored and grateful to continue my partnership with my friends and peers at Fox on our existing shows."

Murphy, one of the top creator-producers working in television today, has pulled off the rare feat of launching commercial and award-winning hits on both broadcast and cable. As the producer admitted at TCA in January, he also had been courted by Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger. Disney is in the process of acquiring key Fox assets, including 20th Century Fox TV. While I hear Murphy very seriously considered both options, the timing worked better for Netflix, which provided a clear vision for the future and opportunity for Murphy to pursue TV series, films and documentaries — all under the same roof. Meanwhile, the alternative at the combined Disney-Fox company was still a subject to speculation because the deal is far off.

Indeed, all eight series Murphy has on the air are with 20th TV/Fox 21 TV Studios, and, at least for the next year, he is expected to be focused on them, continuing to work with the team at the studio as well as Fox and FX. I hear Walden was approached about joining Murphy at Netflix. She is currently committed to her job at Fox and has been rumored for a potential top post at Disney-Fox. But, given the duo's long history and close partnership, it is possible for them to again work together in the future.

Ryan Murphy's new original series, Ratched and The Politician, will premiere globally on Netflix. Murphy also oversees production on American Crime Story, American Horror Story, Feud, 9-1-1 and the upcoming Pose.
EDIT: What's kinda whack about this is that Shonda's deal is supposed only $100 million, which is kind of low for someone who managed to guarantee ABC decent ratings.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
300mill for Murphy lolwhat?

I mean, I liked those first few AHS seasons but...what? >_>

How much money DOES Netflix have?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Netflix is in the business of spending money to make money. And shareholders are fine with it because Netflix is basically fighting the studios.

In 2019, Netflix will have to fight against a souped-up Hulu, HBO & the premium networks, cable TV offering more Netflix-esque features, and, the big daddy of them all, Disney. Netflix's shareholders must know that if they don't stock up now on talent, Netflix might not survive in the long-run.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if they're still on that $6 billion a year spending spree like the last year or two, but it'd only be 5% of their allotment. Add in the production and marketing for everything he'll be producing and creating, this is going to be a massive price tag.

Just in the last five years he's had six shows on the go, with another four coming up. I imagine he'll be tossing shows out left and right for them.

Edit: I wonder if that Ratched show with Sarah Paulson was separate from the deal, since it was made before this (and it's produced by Fox). Same with The Politician.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Is Vikings still doing very well for History? I'm curious how those conversations with History will go if they'd like to keep it on the air a bit longer. I wonder if he's amenable at all to someone else running his creation, though it sounds like he isn't or at least it'd be difficult given he writes all of it.

Yep! The ratings have been very consistent for them.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I can't believe how much they gave Ryan Murphy. It's like people don't watch his shows. American Horror Story is a dumpster fire and so bad it should be embarrassing.

No wonder Netflix raised its prices.

TBH I miss the easier, good old days, when TV was TV. I do like having a PVR, but everything is so complicated and expensive these days. And it's hard to get access to all good shows.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
If she manages one more Grey's Anatomy, that is paid back and more. Murphy's shows aren't that popular, especially when he keeps making shows that don't translate to international audiences.

I don't think you realize how enormous Glee was at its peak, those kids were touring sold out concerts across the country and putting out multi-platinum albums. That stuff alone probably raked in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Depending on who you listen to this is either a serious black eye for the Fox/Disney merger and could signal that it's open season on poaching Fox's top talent both creative and executive or it's all part of Iger's plan as he starts to purge Fox of some of it's more 'outrageous' content creators.

Personally I think this is terrible news for Fox and just shows no matter who ends up buying it (either Comcast or more likely Disney) that everything is going to change over there as it transitions into a shell of it's former self during this glorified corporate asset stripping.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you realize how enormous Glee was at its peak, those kids were touring sold out concerts across the country and putting out multi-platinum albums. That stuff alone probably raked in hundreds of millions of dollars.
Grey's Anatomy generated $3 billion and counting.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Glee made a shit ton of money, but I'd wager a lot of that had to be paid back out in licensing fees for the music.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Netflix is in the business of spending money to make money. And shareholders are fine with it because Netflix is basically fighting the studios.

In 2019, Netflix will have to fight against a souped-up Hulu, HBO & the premium networks, cable TV offering more Netflix-esque features, and, the big daddy of them all, Disney. Netflix's shareholders must know that if they don't stock up now on talent, Netflix might not survive in the long-run.
Are you just assuming that Hulu will have a huge investment increase in content in 2019 or was this actually said?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Assuming since Disney's going to take a larger stake in the enterprise.

My guess is that is where the Fox catalog will go along with any R-rated streaming-only programming.
Oh yeah definitely, didn't think about that. I think since they already have ABC TV Studios, they either cancel some ABC shows and replace them with FOX shows and ABC TV Studios makes shows for Hulu, or ABC keeps their shows and Fox TV Studios makes shows for Hulu. Or it could be both.

They will have to split costs though between the Disney branded one and Hulu. And based on Disney's "quality over quantity" policy they've shown with their new Disney service (investing more than the competition in individual shows but making far less content), I don't expect Hulu to go to the Netflix level of having 4-5 new shows every week and a new movie every 5 days.

But maybe we can at least get a somewhat consistent couple shows per month or something.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that sure is a thing. I like most of what Ryan Murphy does so good on him.

Shonda was $100+M for a "multi-year" deal (but not specified), Murphy is for a five year deal so there is a possibility that some of the monetary discrepancy comes from that. But who knows. $300M is insane though, that's three Vinyls, three fucking Vinyls.
If she manages one more Grey's Anatomy, that is paid back and more. Murphy's shows aren't that popular, especially when he keeps making shows that don't translate to international audiences.
Uhhhhh. You might want to provide a source for that statement. Glee was massive internationally, and American Horror Story is real big internationally. American Crime Story and feud have at least done decent but numbers are a bit hard to come by.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is 12 monkeys ending? Does it seems complete? also is it a good show?

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
It's happening! (and tbh, I think this might be a Resetera exclusive™©®. No one else seem to have picked up the press release yet)
There's not much to it but it confirms:
Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema are to produce a new drama series based on Philip Pullman's epic fantasy trilogy of novels, His Dark Materials which will be filmed in Wales in 2018.
No word on the creative team outside of the producers (Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner) but surely this has to be the Jack Thorne adaptation, I haven't heard anything about them approaching another writer.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
I'm pretty sure Netflix has a better idea if Murphy's shows have a big audience Internationally than you.
Both American Horror Story and American Crime Story seem to get highlighted by Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.