• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Don't see why that's weird when they've only run three original scripted series so far.
It's weird because No Activity is a comedy, again, about two guys who are cops waiting for "activity" or crime to happen and nothing happens so they just end up talking to each other, telling each other stories and jokes, I can't imagine a show like that living that long.

The season finale promo was bait, it showed tons of shooting happening and said "YOU'VE WAITED AND IT'S HAPPENING. THERE WILL BE ACTIVITY." and while it was true, the activity happened in the background. The main characters didn't get to the crime scene until after it was over.

Last edited:

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does a show as bad as midnight Texas get renewed. Did it actually get decent ratings?

I bailed after 4 episodes.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
CBS had a good quarter, and from the earnings presentation:
Chairman and CEO Les Moonves said that the company's "total subscriber base continues to grow at an accelerated pace." He said that streaming services CBS All Access and Showtime OTT now have nearly 5 million subscribers combined.
No further breakdown was provided. I still contend that having two streaming services is kinda dumb, and a combined Showtime/CBS service would do better for them.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
CBS had a good quarter, and from the earnings presentation:

No further breakdown was provided. I still contend that having two streaming services is kinda dumb, and a combined Showtime/CBS service would do better for them.
I've been enjoying CBS All Access contrary to others (then again I also subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, SundanceNow, Hulu, YouTube Red, Passionflix, Apple Music and USED to subscribe to Fullscreen and Seeso before they went under so I'm kind of a sucker) :P

My main concern is if they have enough content to compete, I know they have like 8 greenlit shows in development but that's in development.

In 2016, they had one show (Big Brother OTT), in 2017 they had another three shows premiere (The Good Fight, Star Trek: Discovery and No Activity) and though there was a long drought between TGF and ST:D, they've been good about having a new show after one ends.

• September: Star Trek Discovery Premiere
  • November the week after ST:D fall finale: No Activity
  • The week after No Activity finale: Star Trek Discovery S1 Part 2 Premiere
  • The Good Fight Season 2: March 4 (1 month after ST:D S1 Part 2 finale)
But will they be able to continue this with a new show less than a month after The Good Fight Season 2 finale? Or will there be another drought until September. That's my main concern with the service.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
so Jeffrey Tambor huh...

Isnt a new season of Arrested Development shooting right now? >_>

It finished a little bit ago, but the promotion should be set to begin soon. I was expecting a summer release. Now...

They might need to create an extra gag of blurring his face and having Ron Howard in for more narration.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Cloverfield Paradox' Bow On Netflix Outshined By 'Bright;' 'Carbon' Has Limited Half-Life, Nielsen Says
Cloverfield Paradox, a milestone for Netflix in that it is a studio-backed feature film that the SVOD service acquired from Paramount and then sneak-released after the Super Bowl on February 4, drew an average of 2.8 million viewers per minute.

That audience was less than one-third of the 11 million viewers collected by Will Smith sci-fi title Bright, according to Nielsen's SVOD Ratings report.

In its initial seven days of availability, the Cloverfield sequel pulled in 5 million average viewers. Its biggest day was Monday, February 5, when it was viewed by nearly 1.3 million viewers who had no doubt heard about the stealth release, which was advertised during the big game.

Nielsen also released numbers for sci-fi series Altered Carbon, which was released on February 2. In its first three days, it totaled 1.2 million viewers on average, reaching 2.5 million in its first seven days on the platform.

While they are very different shows, Carbon was far outpaced by Stranger Things. That Netflix series returned with an audience of 4 million per episode in Season 2 last fall, per Nielsen.

Carbon's audience also shrunk pretty dramatically from the premiere to the finale, starting off with a seven-day average of 5.9 million viewers. By Episode 10, that had dwindled to barely 1 million.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, I liked Altered Carbon the best out of all those. Enjoyed the other two also, though maybe not the way Paradox hoped I would.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Nielsen reporting on Netflix 'ratings' is nothing short of some embarrassing attempt to stay relevant in the emerging SVOD market.

Awful.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Nielsen reporting on Netflix 'ratings' is nothing short of some embarrassing attempt to stay relevant in the emerging SVOD market.

Awful.
It would be more relevant if they reported on people watching Netflix on TVs, consoles, streaming media players (Apple TV, Fire TV, Fire Stick, Chromecast, Roku, etc), tablets and phones combined.

But AFAIK, they only track viewers on TV screens making it very inaccurate and misleading.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
hope so because I liked Carbon adn want more especially given the premise of the books / show (each season pretty much self contained)
Altered Carbon was trending on Twitter and they spent a lot of money marketing it, it was everywhere. Plus, they already said they are expecting Netflix to renew it and have already started writing season 2.

I see no way it doesn't get renewed. Don't worry about Altered Carbon. That said, I'm not sure there will use the second book as season 2 just because of how different the premise of the other books are. They might make an original story that follows the original first book (as like a sequel to the first book following the same premise).

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Yeah they have no real way of knowing how many people watch something on Netflix, especially worldwide.
They only report on Netflix viewers that have Netflix built into their TV (like an app on Xfinity, DIRECTV and Dish boxes) I believe. Which while a lot of viewers is still not much when you consider smart TVs, streaming media boxes, streaming sticks, tablets, phones, laptops, desktops, chromebooks, etc. It would be more useful if it reported on ALL of those things combined.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if there's been a formal greenlight, but I'd heard the Altered Carbon writer's room was back to work a while ago. Just saying.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Even assuming those Nielsen numbers are accurate, I don't really see how they'd tell you much of anything useful about how it's performing (the most direct point of comparison there is Season 2 of Stranger Things, and that's apples to oranges).

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Even assuming those Nielsen numbers are accurate, I don't really see how they'd tell you much of anything useful about how it's performing (the most direct point of comparison there is Season 2 of Stranger Things, and that's apples to oranges).
They are accurate, but not as a whole they're not. They don't cover many devices. Quoting from other post:
They only report on Netflix viewers that have Netflix built into their TV (like an app on Comcast Xfinity, DIRECTV, Time Warner Cable and Dish boxes)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

That's what killed the article for me- they compared a brand new show to the return of one of Netflix's biggest shows (if not THE biggest).

Even the Bright comparison feels off- Bright premiered over Christmas break when a lot of people were off (and IIRC on a Friday to boot). Clover field premiered late on a non-holiday Sunday. Those Cloverfield numbers seem really good in comparison IMO.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
http://tvline.com/2018/02/15/kat-dennings-how-may-we-hate-you-abc-comedy-pilot/

2 Broke Girls' Kat Dennings will play another penniless provocateur in the ABC comedy pilot How May We Hate You?, TVLine has confirmed.

The workplace comedy — penned by Brooklyn Nine-Nine scribe Justin Noble — finds the actress playing a guest services associate at a high-end resort who is heavily in debt. Casting continues for the series' co-lead Gabe, who's described as Ellie's BFF and colleague at the resort.

How May We Hate You? (which is only a working title) is based on the same-named book/blog.

Last spring, Dennings wrapped up a six-season run as sassy diner waitress Max on CBS' 2 Broke Girls. Her Hate casting all but confirms that Dollface — the Hulu pilot in which she starred — will not be moving forward.

So, like 2 Broke Girls but not?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
She's cute. Will watch.

Hopefully it won't be as grating as 2 Broke Girls became. I started watching it when it was new, but it got dumb quickly, and I hated the Oleg/his girlfriend characters.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm into videogames now so no
Point%205%20No%20Alicia.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because No Activity is a comedy, again, about two guys who are cops waiting for "activity" or crime to happen and nothing happens so they just end up talking to each other, telling each other stories and jokes, I can't imagine a show like that living that long.

The season finale promo was bait, it showed tons of shooting happening and said "YOU'VE WAITED AND IT'S HAPPENING. THERE WILL BE ACTIVITY." and while it was true, the activity happened in the background. The main characters didn't get to the crime scene until after it was over.

And the reason for this is that it can be done extremely cheaply. CBS-AA needs content, No activity gives them content at a low price, was decently received and lets them stay in business with Will Farrell. Don't see any reason why they wouldn't bring it back.

Oct 25, 2017
Man if that new chick is permanent on The Good Doctor im dropping it, I have never been so completely annoyed by a character that quickly before.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I think the olympics are declining.
Well we don't normally see direct Olympics competition like this. We have The Bachelor: Winter Games which ends the same week as the Olympics and we have Big Brother: Celebrity Edition which started 2 weeks ago and ends next Sunday.

ABC and CBS are competing with their own competitive reality shows which normally doesn't happen. So the loss of 2-3M viewers on Olympics makes sense.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
got back to Orphan Black after stopping for a while, man I like that show. Also, im flabbergasted everytime at the actress, I swear it looks like different people playing those roles. Like Alison, the housewife, could be a different actress totally than Sarah or Cosima. Its crazy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
got back to Orphan Black after stopping for a while, man I like that show. Also, im flabbergasted everytime at the actress, I swear it looks like different people playing those roles. Like Alison, the housewife, could be a different actress totally than Sarah or Cosima. Its crazy.

It's mindblowing to me that she was apparently called back to be in Star Wars twice and never got the job either time. Her agent must be the worst.

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah she's a fantastic actress. Plays completely different characters and alternates between them with majesty.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This week's Grown-ish was probably the best I've seen a show tackle how social media has affected the lives of young people and the negatives that come with it. It's crazy how the series managed to succeed both on it's premise and as a spinoff of Black-ish.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
This week's Grown-ish was probably the best I've seen a show tackle how social media has affected the lives of young people and the negatives that come with it. It's crazy how the series managed to succeed both on it's premise and as a spinoff of Black-ish.
Yeah it was pretty good and made me glad that I've never really adopted social media

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Wait, what is Bachelor Winter Games. Are all the girls olympic athletes? lol
No. They have The Bachelor in different countries (Japan, China, Finland, New Zealand, Australia, UK, Canada, etc) and in "Winter Games", they have contestants from USA (from past seasons) and contestants worldwide (from international versions of past seasons of The Bachelor/Bachelorette) and they do Olympics stuff like hurdles, ice skating, other competitions.

Their "goal" seems to be creating international relationships while also being an Olympics competing show (example: someone from USA getting married to someone from Japan that doesn't speak English) but it doesn't seem to be working. Show has been a trainwreck so far. Ratings have been decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.