• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The Goldbergs is just the same thing over and over again. I tried watching it again, but I'm just sick of it.

It's nice to see Survivor is still doing well, because I enjoy watching it.

Yeah, I watched the first three seasons together and I could see the formula - and every ABC sitcom has exactly the same formula too, which makes all those shows basically background noise for me. lol

Yeah I watch the ABC comedies and generally like them but In getting burned out on Goldbergs. It's usually kids have stupid idea, do something that causes another character to become really sad and the monologue makes the kid pensive. The kid fixes what they did and people make up. And sometimes the kid is replaced by adult.

It feels worse for this shoe cause there doesn't seem to be any sort of story progression. The only thing that feels intriguing at this point is the 80's footage it connects to or the inspiring character telling the story of what happened

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yeah I watch the ABC comedies and generally like them but In getting burned out on Goldbergs. It's usually kids have stupid idea, do something that causes another character to become really sad and the monologue makes the kid pensive. The kid fixes what they did and people make up. And sometimes the kid is replaced by adult.

It feels worse for this shoe cause there doesn't seem to be any sort of story progression. The only thing that feels intriguing at this point is the 80's footage it connects to or the inspiring character telling the story of what happened

Yeah, that's every fucking episode. It never progresses or goes anywhere.

I didn't start watching it until Comedy started from the beginning and WGN started airing repeats. I'd save them every weekday, and sometimes on weekends, and watch them at night while getting ready to sleep. It was fun and entertaining for a while, and I eventually decided to not worry about seeing everything from start to finish and went ahead and recorded the early part of this season as it aired. Then I started getting sick of the same damn thing over and over and over and over again, and my PVR would only handle 2 shows at a time so X-Files and Survivor took precedence.

When it's come on a channel I've been watching since then, I've changed the channel because I just haven't felt like watching it. This week, the episode description made me decide to give it another chance, and it was nothing new.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's so funny the complaints y'all are sharing because that's EVERY family sitcom EVER with very few exceptions.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
That'll make the title easy enough but it sucks that the show is gone. It was easy TV but not anything great. I wonder if the title put people off.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
One of their more critically acclaimed shows too. Did it wrap up well at least?

Anyway, I honestly expect them to end Transparent after next season as well, especially given what went down with Tambor (Jill Soloway walking away after last season was writing on the wall that the show was winding down anyway imo).
Nope, it was another cliffhanger ending. It feels like they might have been building up to a big ending, with the two characters being successful conductors and finally being able to get together (and something involving Saffron Burrows' character moving from performance to instruction I suppose), but I guess we'll never know. It kind of sucks that they won't get to wrap it up.

I also feel like people on Amazon and Netflix need to stop having cliffhangers. There's no fucking excuse for that because it's not like the "ratings" or "watercooler" conversation matters in the same way that it does on actual TV.

It's so funny the complaints y'all are sharing because that's EVERY family sitcom EVER with very few exceptions.
The ABC formula is just so transparent though. You look at the multicam shows on Netflix - Fuller House and One Day at a Time - and they have totally different rhythms because they're not married to the A/B/C plot formula that seems to define the modern single cam family sitcom. Even Roseanne feels different, from the three episodes that have aired at least. That show only has an A plot that all the characters are involved with, as opposed to splitting up the characters into groups and reproducing the same interactions.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it was another cliffhanger ending. It feels like they might have been building up to a big ending, with the two characters being successful conductors and finally being able to get together (and something involving Saffron Burrows' character moving from performance to instruction I suppose), but I guess we'll never know. It kind of sucks that they won't get to wrap it up.

Well that's shitty.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. I don't know, if you're not going to commit to a 5 year plan, then just tell the producers not to introduce dumb cliffhangers into your shows. Otherwise you spent money on dead inventory, because I don't know if I would recommend anyone watch Mozart in the Jungle now even though I enjoyed it.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

I also feel like people on Amazon and Netflix need to stop having cliffhangers. There's no fucking excuse for that because it's not like the "ratings" or "watercooler" conversation matters in the same way that it does on actual TV.

The ABC formula is just so transparent though. You look at the multicam shows on Netflix - Fuller House and One Day at a Time - and they have totally different rhythms because they're not married to the A/B/C plot formula that seems to define the modern single cam family sitcom. Even Roseanne feels different, from the three episodes that have aired at least. That show only has an A plot that all the characters are involved with, as opposed to splitting up the characters into groups and reproducing the same interactions.
I feel like if Netflix or Amazon wants to cancel shows after a cliffhanger, they should be obligated to say "Okay you're cancelled but you get a final season to end things the way you want to end things." instead of saying "Yeah you're not getting another season. Sucks to suck."

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Netflix or Amazon wants to cancel shows after a cliffhanger, they should be obligated to say "Okay you're cancelled but you get a final season to end things the way you want to end things."
I mean, you would only do that for "fans", like Netflix with Sense 8. I get that it doesn't make business sense for them to fund an extra season just for closure.

Or, I dunno, maybe Amazon demands that every show ends with a dumb cliffhanger and I shouldn't be blaming the showrunners.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I mean, you would only do that for "fans", like Netflix with Sense 8. I get that it doesn't make business sense for them to fund an extra season just for closure.

Or, I dunno, maybe Amazon demands that every show ends with a dumb cliffhanger and I shouldn't be blaming the showrunners.
I mean Netflix doesn't really have the problem of business sense. Netflix has an unlimited cash flow in that they can throw amounts of money they don't have at anything. It definitely makes sense that they wouldn't want to renew something a minuscule amount of people are watching though.

I don't know if Amazon demands that but cliffhangers are by nature, there as a purpose to renew the show for another season. If everything wraps up nicely, there is often the thought of "They should've just ended it there, it didn't need another season." once the renewal happens.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. I don't know, if you're not going to commit to a 5 year plan, then just tell the producers not to introduce dumb cliffhangers into your shows. Otherwise you spent money on dead inventory, because I don't know if I would recommend anyone watch Mozart in the Jungle now even though I enjoyed it.

The way that these streamers handler their content is truly baffling, but I guess if it really made a difference, they would do things differently...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Still feels that streaming services haven't figured out a groove to everything yet. Season orders, episode length, distribution, writing a show. You can see services realizing that a single story in 13 overlong episodes done once every 12-15 months might not be the best approach (in both quality and audience engagement) with how they're playing with half seasons and different orders. I think it'll change as time goes on, and showrunners will learn how to best write for the format when it solidifies. Netflix is churning out so much content and I don't think they know what to do with most of it.

I mean what, they're really only six or so years old at this point? You look at the early years of most new mediums and it's usually rough.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Netflix doesn't really have the problem of business sense. Netflix has an unlimited cash flow in that they can throw amounts of money they don't have at anything. It definitely makes sense that they wouldn't want to renew something a minuscule amount of people are watching though.

I don't know if Amazon demands that but cliffhangers are by nature, there as a purpose to renew the show for another season. If everything wraps up nicely, there is often the thought of "They should've just ended it there, it didn't need another season." once the renewal happens.
The thing is that cliffhangers sort of meant something because of how the TV season worked. You had three months off in the summer to get people to think about the show during that time. It doesn't really make sense for a shows that are 10-13 episodes and where new seasons are 1-2 years in between each other.
The way that these streamers handler their content is truly baffling, but I guess if it really made a difference, they would do things differently...
I mean what, they're really only six or so years old at this point? You look at the early years of most new mediums and it's usually rough.
I don't think this is a valid excuse in 2018 when everyone who works on American TV has seen British TV. Hell, both Amazon and Netflix co-produce British television, which is perfectly able to have proper endings to shows that are 6 episodes long even if there are more seasons planned.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Netflix or Amazon wants to cancel shows after a cliffhanger, they should be obligated to say "Okay you're cancelled but you get a final season to end things the way you want to end things." instead of saying "Yeah you're not getting another season. Sucks to suck."
Or the producers could NOT do a cliffhanger when they don't know if they'll get another season. Work with the episode order you got, not the one you wish you had.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty upset about Mozart in the Jungle being cancelled. I started watching it last month. Binged it in about a week and a half and thought it was easily one of the best shows of recent years.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Bosch seems like the steady, reliable workhorse in Amazon's stable. I imagine it's pretty safe.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Sneaky Pete is the weird one. It's reportedly gotten a California tax credit and has been slated for filming during the summer, but hasn't gotten its renewal yet.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ Amazon obviously knows that I haven't had a chance to watch any of season two yet and is impatiently F5ing ERA to see if i like it or not.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was wondering if they were going to kill them to finally write them off. lol

Eh, that would be pointless seeing as I don't think the show will live on much longer, the only reason I started watching the show in the first place was because of Daniel, the show started the same year LOST ended and I loved him on that show, just wanted to see more of him.

Not saying the new guys are bad it's just not the same.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fast-Demo-2018-Apr-06.FRI_.png

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Ooof, that's a horrible idea. High Fidelity is all about the arrested emotional development of a man and how he views women and coming to terms with his toxic masculinity towards them and his fear of commitment. I don't know how you shift that to a female point of view. If it's just her "Chronicling past relationships" in a PG-13 platform then just make a new show.

Nick Hornby is rolling in his grave.

Agreed. I love the book/movie and this is a travesty.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much longer Brooklyn has? They keep shuffling around its time slots, and now back on Sundays, both Family Guy and Simpsons are outranking it.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder how much longer Brooklyn has? They keep shuffling around its time slots, and now back on Sundays, both Family Guy and Simpsons are outranking it.

I like the show but I kinda hope it's done this season. That way it won't get too tarnished. It's been lacking the past couple seasons.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case you wanted more proof of Inhumans' demise, Anson Mount has been cast as Captain Pike for "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 2.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I like the show but I kinda hope it's done this season. That way it won't get too tarnished. It's been lacking the past couple seasons.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it ending now, either. I'm watching so much right now, I'm actually hoping for a few cancellations of stuff I watch (that are slowing down) just so I can check those shows off as "finished/complete" and concentrate on some backlog.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Variety: 'The Wire's' David Simon Developing New Series Set During Spanish Civil War (EXCLUSIVE)
"The Wire" creator David Simon and Spain's Mediapro ("The Young Pope") are in early development on "A Dry Run," a drama series following members of the Abraham Lincoln Battalion who came to Spain from the U.S. to fight fascism during the Spanish Civil War.

The scripts have been outlined, and George Pelecanos and Dennis Lehane, both of whom worked on "The Wire," have committed to "A Dry Run" as writers. The show is so far conceived as a six-hour miniseries, though that could change as the stories develop, said Mediapro founder Jaume Roures.

Simon and Mediapro are seeking to raise the necessary funds both in the U.S. and Europe.

"A Dry Run" will follow the Abraham Lincoln and George Washington Battalions, both part of the International Brigade that fought in the Spanish Civil War, from their arrival in 1937 and first bloody battle in the Jarama Valley until their departure in 1939. The show offers a "compelling and tragic narrative," Simon said, adding that the "Spanish struggle against fascism and the misuse of capitalism as a bulwark to totalitarianism" represent "the preeminent political narrative of the 20th century and of our time still."

Status
Not open for further replies.