Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good!

One negative I can think of is giving all our contact info to this company (Elfster), but it's not like Google etc. don't have them anyway from when Google survey was used lol.

Yeah. It is what it is. It's either Google or some other group, ha.

Any tips you have for the setup, please feel free to message me with. I'll read through them before I set up a dummy to test!

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Have you considered using survey monkey? It can create pools based off answers from the survey. They expanded their free offerings recently and it's a bit more robust than prior offerings in my experience.

Looking forward to participating this year!

Safe travels Nicoga

Nov 23, 2017
YAY!!!!! I've been searching every week for a new post on this year's secret santa. I've been itching to be a part of it again.

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
OK....So it looks like I have a few options. The easiest is probably to create a few different Secret Santas that you can join. Looking at restricting matches and stuff seems like it will be MUCH more of a hassle. So I will do:

• Full International
  • USA
  • North, South, and Central America
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia
Does that seem fair? Is there a category I'm missing or that I should add?

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
OK....So it looks like I have a few options. The easiest is probably to create a few different Secret Santas that you can join. Looking at restricting matches and stuff seems like it will be MUCH more of a hassle. So I will do:

• Full International
  • USA
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia

I wish for easier life with the shipping costs, but in the same time I worry about splitting the pool too much. So I don't know what is best here.

I agree that doing it by hand for each participant is too too much work.

Oct 27, 2017
Signed up to the test exchange.

• Full International
  • USA
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia

I wish for easier life with the shipping costs, but in the same time I worry about splitting the pool too much. So I don't know what is best here.

I agree that doing it by hand for each participant is too too much work.
I think it seems doable, but some of the pools (Asia in particular) might be very small.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

• Full International
  • USA
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia

sounds complicated :D
no-go with just "global secret santa" but you can toggle a checkbox with "if possible, match me with another local" and just matchmake those who used the checkbox?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have information on European participation last year? That might help with deciding which individual countries are worth having a separate pool for.
Considering that the SS was started only a couple/few weeks after Era was established, that may not yield very accurate results for this year with the membership being a lot larger now

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I can only speak about shipping from Finland, but I suspect it is much the same in the rest of Europe.

Shipping inside Europe generally is the same no matter the country. As such I don't see the reason to split Europe. Ofcourse shipping inside countries is cheaper, like UK only etc., but I'm not sure having such small pools is a good idea. I know having only Finns or Scandinavians in my pool would be a bummer.

Shipping to other continents, or Russia or Asia is where the costs rise. The smallest possible packet to USA for example is 41,90 € and I'm not sure that even has tracking. I'd love to be able to send a good box full of nice stuff, but with that shipping it's not possible for me.

All that being said, there are many sides to this and I'm going to join anyway, whatever nicoga3000 chooses. :)

Edit: one thing to note if/when using Elfster to make the the separate pools. They are separate, period. If you pick Uranus only, you will also be recieving from someone who also is in the pool Uranus only.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak about shipping from Finland, but I suspect it is much the same in the rest of Europe.

Shipping inside Europe generally is the same no matter the country. As such I don't see the reason to split Europe. Ofcourse shipping inside countries is cheaper, like UK only etc., but I'm not sure having such small pools is a good idea. I know having only Finns or Scandinavians in my pool would be a bummer.

Shipping to other continents, or Russia or Asia is where the costs rise. The smallest possible packet to USA for example is 41,90 € and I'm not sure that even has tracking. I'd love to be able to send a good box full of nice stuff, but with that shipping it's not possible for me.

All that being said, there are many sides to this and I'm going to join anyway, whatever nicoga3000 chooses. :)

Edit: one thing to note if/when using Elfster to make the the separate pools. They are separate, period. If you pick Uranus only, you will also be recieving from someone who also is in the pool Uranus only.

While less personalized you can buy stuff in the home country try and ship from there thus removing shipping costs. Then to have a personalized touch, send a card.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I of course understand anyone who can't afford / doesn't want to pay those high shipping costs, but they'd also lose out on the fun of receiving a gift from another continent.

Also, don't split up Europe any further. That's almost incestuous. The fun of doing Secret Santa in an online community is getting gifts from an international userbase.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
As some of you may know, my SS bailed on me last year unfortunately (I think I was the only case). A few weeks ago battousai contacted me asking for some basic information about my hobbies/things I like, as he really wanted to get something for me taking into account my actual SS didn't send me anything. I told him I really appreciated his interest but it wasn't necessary, but he kept insisting! So I had no other choice to give him some info about me, and today the postman delivered this :D I'm totally amazed

oMv7IwW.jpg

Christmas has come quite early this year :) Thank you so much battousai, you really went above and beyond with the gifts: Super Graphic; Blood, Sweat and Pixels; and How to build a car, (3 books I've been meaning to get for a really long time and will be devoured over the next few weeks), and Wolfenstein 2, which I'm pretty sure I'll love taking into account the first one is one of my GOTGs.

I really have no words to show you my gratitude, you're amazing!

PS: sorry for the crappy picture, package came as I was about to leave to catch a train lol

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

This was my thought.

I can't please everyone. I might stick to my previous planned bullets and run with it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
As some of you may know, my SS bailed on me last year unfortunately (I think I was the only case). A few weeks ago battousai contacted me asking for some basic information about my hobbies/things I like, as he really wanted to get something for me taking into account my actual SS didn't send me anything. I told him I really appreciated his interest but it wasn't necessary, but he kept insisting! So I had no other choice to give him some info about me, and today the postman delivered this :D I'm totally amazed

oMv7IwW.jpg

Christmas has come quite early this year :) Thank you so much battousai, you really went above and beyond with the gifts: Super Graphic; Blood, Sweat and Pixels; and How to build a car, (3 books I've been meaning to get for a really long time and will be devoured over the next few weeks), and Wolfenstein 2, which I'm pretty sure I'll love taking into account the first one is one of my GOTGs.

PS: sorry for the crappy picture, package came as I was about to leave to catch a train lol

that's incredible

battousai

Oct 25, 2017

oMv7IwW.jpg

Wow, it got to you a couple of days earlier than what amazon quoted. I'm so glad the gifts are to your liking! I wish I could've gotten this squared away sooner, but work has been so hectic recently. I do hope you join this year's Secret Santa, even though last year didn't go as planned.

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
2018 thread is up to start raising awareness.

If anyone knows how to create hidden/quote to reveal text, please tell me!

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Wow, it got to you a couple of days earlier than what amazon quoted. I'm so glad the gifts are to your liking! I wish I could've gotten this squared away sooner, but work has been so hectic recently. I do hope you join this year's Secret Santa, even though last year didn't go as planned.

Yup, you were spot on with the gifts, they're all amazing! And yeah, I was already planning on joining again this year but after this my Christmas spirit is through the roof, bring it on! :)

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To my SS, I have received your package and look forward to opening it on Xmas day!

Status
Not open for further replies.