Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone, somewhere needs to get the behind-the-scenes scoop on what has happened with The Affair.
--

The Western town set that's recently been used for Westworld has burned down in CA's latest fires.
--

Vanessa Bayer To Headline & Write Comedy Series In Works At Showtime From Michael Showalter & Annapurna TV
EXCLUSIVE: Saturday Night Live alumna Vanessa Bayer is set to co-create, write and star in Big Deal, a single-camera comedy which is in development at Showtime from Annapurna Television, with The Big Sick helmer Michael Showalter attached to direct.

The project, which Bayer has co-created with former SNL writer Jeremy Beiler, is a comedy in which a woman (Bayer) overcomes childhood leukemia to achieve her lifelong dream of becoming an on-air host at a home shopping network.

Bayer's character is inspired by the comedy actress' own personal story as a survivor of childhood leukemia, which she was diagnosed with in her freshman year of high school.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a 20 year time jump really qualifies as a "WTF is happening with this show?!" moment. Clearly something was amiss with the Ruth Wilson/Joshua Jackson departures, but this development seems of a piece with all that transpired last season.

Also, dammit I was hoping the 20 year time jump blind item would be for The Handmaid's Tale.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Um, should I watch Zoo? (I think it's in Netflix)

I just saw an amazing/hilarious gif from it and the show sounds kind of incredible in an insane way.
Yes
and
Yes
sloth.gif

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Is anyone else watching Gone? It's basically a Criminal Minds clone, but I still enjoy watching it despite it not being the best. It ended up being better than I expected, but I did start watching it expecting little.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a 20 year time jump really qualifies as a "WTF is happening with this show?!" moment. Clearly something was amiss with the Ruth Wilson/Joshua Jackson departures, but this development seems of a piece with all that transpired last season.

Also, dammit I was hoping the 20 year time jump blind item would be for The Handmaid's Tale.
It's really funny when you think about it, because the title of the show is literally The Affair.

The show was about the affair between Noah and Alison, showing all the consequences of that affair on their lives and other people's lives around them, like Helen (Noah's wife) and Cole (Alison's husband).

Now Alison and Cole are gone, but the last season will be about Joanie, the daughter of Alison and Cole.

That child is not even a consequence of the affair between Noah and Alison.

lol

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see the final season of The Affair. It'll either be great or a total catastrophe and either way I'll be entertained.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek: Discovery: Michelle Yeoh in Talks to Star in Georgiou Spinoff

Bow down to Emperor Georgiou: Michelle Yeoh is in talks to reprise her Star Trek: Discovery role in a standalone spinoff, according to our sister site Deadline.

If it materializes, the Georgiou spinoff would join the previously announced Jean-Luc Picard spinoff (with Patrick Stewart returning to play the iconic Next Generation captain) and animated comedy Lower Decks in CBS All Access' ever-expanding Star Trek franchise.

Maybe cool it with all the Star Trek series CBS...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
STCU

edit: Netflix's International Tour continues, Italian joint this time

Last edited:

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I don't know why I watch Child Support but I do. Those kids are adorably goofy and I appreciate Gervais sticking it out with them.

If only they'd see his Golden Globes monologues lol.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really funny when you think about it, because the title of the show is literally The Affair.

The show was about the affair between Noah and Alison, showing all the consequences of that affair on their lives and other people's lives around them, like Helen (Noah's wife) and Cole (Alison's husband).

Now Alison and Cole are gone, but the last season will be about Joanie, the daughter of Alison and Cole.

That child is not even a consequence of the affair between Noah and Alison.

lol

She doesn't need to be a consequence of the affair - she just needs to show how it ruined their lives. She's a symbol of what Cole and Allison could have and would have had if the Affair hadn't wrecked their lives. What will she do next season? I'm not sure, but I'm excited.

I am a bit disappointed it's only partly in the future. I'm not really interested in seeing any of the imminent issues remaining for the characters.

Is Joshua Jackson for sure not in the show, or is he just not billed as a main character?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Charmed, Legacies and All American got a full-season pick-up. Charmed is now 22, the others are 16.
https://tvline.com/2018/11/08/charmed-full-season-order-legacies-all-american-more-episodes/

Thanks for posting this. I was hoping for a full 22 eps for Legacies. 16 is on the short side, but I'm hoping for a great season nonetheless. I know there has been a trend of fewer episode counts for network hour long series recently, and it's generally a good thing for storytelling, but when TVD was so good some seasons at using all 22 eps, it's hard not to want 22 eps. Anyway, looking forward to watching the whole season at once when it's finished.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Good Place <3

I really need to get back to it but I can't really do the whole weekly thing anymore (motly becaue I forget lol), Netflix ruined me :(

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Really good article on the differing philosophies inside Netflix between their LA side and Silicon Valley side
https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-netflix-who-wins-when-its-hollywood-vs-the-algorithm-1541826015

Some interesting tidbits like

"There were serious conversations from the tech side pressuring the Hollywood side not to renew it for a second season," said one participant in a heated discussion over the show. GLOW ultimately survived.

Really glad it won out, as GLOW is one of my favorite shows on the platform.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting news buried in a puff piece

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...es-announce-theyre-coming-back-tv/1956227002/

Your favorite design couple are coming back to TV!

During Friday's episode of "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon," Chip and Joanna Gaines revealed they're partnering with HGTV parent Discovery on a new network.

The new channel, expected to start in the next 12 to 18 months, will be called the Magnolia Network, named for Chip and Joanna's design and decor company. The couple will own a minority stake. The channel is expected to replace an existing, underperforming Discovery network, most likely DIY, Destination America or Great American Country, said a person familiar with Discovery plans who was unauthorized to speak publicly.

Bet you berzeli right eye that it will be Destination America. That channel is just embarrassing now

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
that tech / hollywood Netflix divide is... bizarre.

I take it the tech side would, for example, nuke a show like Hilda from orbit?

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

It's looking that way, yeah...

Man, culture divide is a real thing. I honestly chalked it up to bullshit buzzwords made up by business schools to justify doing coke in the bathroom.

They sound like robots over there, like Mark Zuckerberg or something.

I take it the tech side would, for example, nuke a show like Hilda from orbit?

Like with GLOW, if it wasn't a hit with their viewers, they would have cancelled it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finally started watching Glow Season 2 (I need more 2018 shows for the top 10 thread damn it), Glow is awesome.

It goes so fast from silly wrestling hijinks to real life drama shit. Also Sam is a huge asshole in S2. I mean I guess he was always an asshole but it seemed he had a nice thing going there with Ruth and now he's treating her like shit >_>

Just saw it's renewed too, awesome.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to season 2 of Sneaky Pete.

Rewatched the first season because I'd forgotten half of what happened. Season 2 was alright, but I preferred the first season a LOT more.

Pete's mom Maggie was kinda unbearable to me, especially with how things went down in the finale. I still don't know exactly WHY she did what she did, I mean, I DO, but it's just so stupid I can't believe it actually happened.

Oct 25, 2017
God the series final of The Last Ship I absolutely hated until the last 5 minutes,
Loved and then hated again.

What a pathetic point to end on.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
God the series final of The Last Ship I absolutely hated until the last 5 minutes,
Loved and then hated again.

What a pathetic point to end on.
You didn't like the ending? lol
I can't imagine they'd kill Chandler off. lol

I thought it was nice to bring back almost everyone. I guess they couldn't afford to get the Doctor back for one quick scene.

I just felt bad for the chopper girls... just written off.

Ahh:

TVLINE | Well, I have to ask: Do you even put in the phone call to Rhona Mitra, to her people? To actually show Rachel?
No. We do not. In fact, I shouldn't say that – I was going to, but then she made it very clear on some of her social media postings that she was not happy with the way things ended with us, so I didn't want to stir the pot. But I think the way it is now actually is more spectral, more interesting.
So yeah... I guess she's still pissed with how she was written off the show.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't like the ending? lol
I can't imagine they'd kill Chandler off. lol

I thought it was nice to bring back almost everyone. I guess they couldn't afford to get the Doctor back for one quick scene.

I just felt bad for the chopper girls... just written off.
I loved the whole vision thing,
I didn't expect or want him to die, just wanted a bit of something after the rescue.
I literally said "that's it?" outloud

The entire battle I hated from start to finish,
Why did they even bring an Aircraft Carrier that played no part in anything for one?(aircraft to attack the beach, or the ship itself)

The Nathan James itself was mostly useless, should have literally copied the enemy and gotten one of the WW2 battleships that is far better designed to fight like they need without satellites.

I'd forgive that but they made clear this season that months are passing.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

RedFyn

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they even bring an Aircraft Carrier that played no part in anything for one?(aircraft to attack the beach, or the ship itself)
I read a review that was saying the ending is a reference to Moby dick with Chandler spearing his "whale" with the James and then having to decide whether to live or let it take him down with it.

The aircraft carrier was used to carry all of the Marines and equipment. But yeah, they should've been able to get more planes. Of course not using equipment they really should have is typical for the show.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the whole vision thing,
I didn't expect or want him to die, just wanted a bit of something after the rescue.
I literally said "that's it?" outloud

The Nathan James itself was mostly useless, should have literally copied the enemy and gotten one of the WW2 battleships that is far better designed to fight like they need without satellites.

I'd forgive that but they made clear this season that months are passing.
Yeah, I'll admit that I expected more of an epilogue, but it honestly felt like they were trying to cram as much as they could in the final episode (with it being fairly anti-climatic despite the inclusion of the marines and the whole invasion thing that they got to shoot for free lol).
I guess they wanted to end the show with Chandler as the main focus as opposed to the state of the world as a whole, so they went with the warrior's purgatory thing instead... it reminded me a bit of the ending to Ashes to Ashes, to be honest.

I think the whole thing being kind of inevitable and the fact that Chandler never actually fought against the antagonist (maybe this was part of the filming shutdown thing) made the whole season kind of dull. They upped the stakes by just killing off half the recurring cast, but even then, it felt mechanical.

Still, I enjoyed this season for the most part. I'll miss the simplicity of what amounts to an 80s show being produced in 2018. lol

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Ship went to shit with the tonal shift. I loved the more hurray Navy stuff, didn't need a gritty war drama from this show.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wow, what an abrupt ending to that series. :O

Thought for sure he was a goner, happy he wasnt though.

The ending bit reminded me of LOST in the church.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a bit concerned with the CW shows. Even with their 'extra allowance' compared to other networks, most of the shows I watch are in that .3-.4 for average. Hope that will be enough.

There are a couple of exceptions, like Supernatural and The Flash, but the others (that I watch) are pretty low.

Nov 1, 2017
Getting a bit concerned with the CW shows. Even with their 'extra allowance' compared to other networks, most of the shows I watch are in that .3-.4 for average. Hope that will be enough.

There are a couple of exceptions, like Supernatural and The Flash, but the others (that I watch) are pretty low.

I mean, they gave an extra five episodes to a show that has yet to get above a .1 this season so I think they've got a pretty low floor

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017

Some of them like The Flash, Black Lightning, Supergirl and Riverdale have good international deals with Netflix where they show episodes weekly on the day after they air on the US.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the Flash all CW shows are around the 0.3. So it is other sales that will determine what lives. Their DC deal on Netflix is supposed to be real good as well.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they gave an extra five episodes to a show that has yet to get above a .1 this season so I think they've got a pretty low floor

And they renewed a summer show that never got above a .1.

I'll be honest, I was shocked they renewed The Outpost this past summer. Maybe it has a really good streaming deal. However, I don't see that being sustainable past season 2 if those ratings continue.

Some of them like The Flash, Black Lightning, Supergirl and Riverdale have good international deals with Netflix where they show episodes weekly on the day after they air on the US.

Aside from the Flash all CW shows are around the 0.3. So it is other sales that will determine what lives. Their DC deal on Netflix is supposed to be real good as well.

I have heard the CW does have a good deal with Netflix on the DC shows, but what is the future of that with the DC streaming service? Will those shows be leaving Netflix? I can't see the new Batwoman being put on Netflix, as well. Not with the new DC streaming service. If these DC shows do flip over to the DC service, hopefully it's just as much a lucrative deal for CW to keep them being renewed.

What about All American? Does anyone know if that has a good (lucrative) deal for CW for streaming? Actually really enjoying that show and would like it to continue. Yes, it was picked up for a full season (although I wouldn't call it 'full' at 16 episodes), but that doesn't mean anything on being renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.