• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
00003591035848.jpg

It's the 97th season of America's premier open-wheel racing championship and it returns with a new look car. The series will be returning to Portland Raceway for the first time since 2007. This season might just be the most competitive one yet, with the new aerokit promoting more overtaking and several new drivers entering the field hoping to challenge the old hands.

Race Replay:
Round 9 of 17:

Where to watch?
All races are available on demand on the official Youtube channel a few days after every event.
Practice and qualifying sessions are streamed for free at the live timing and scoring page:
http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

For live coverage:
USA - ABC, NBCSN
Canada - Sportsnet
UK - BT Sport
Radio - IMS Radio Network

The Race Calendar:
vFnLSdM.png

Championship Standings:

As of round 9 of 17:
6I80qo7.png

The Car:
All teams and drivers drive the Dallara DW12 powered by either a Chevrolet or a Honda engine. The engines are twin turbo 2.2L V6 producing up to 675 horsepower, depending on the track. On road courses, drivers can use a push-to-pass button giving them a boost of 60 horsepower. The cars can be configured in an oval configuration or a road course configuration. All cars and teams use spec Firestone tires. On road courses, teams can use a primary tire compound and an alternate tire compound. The alternate red sidewalled tires provide better grip at the expense of tire life.

New for 2018 is the introduction of a universal aerokit, meant to evoke memories of the late90s/early 00s CART cars. The new aerokit produces most of the downforce in the undertray, resulting in slower cornering speeds but higher top end speed in comparison to last year. It also has an added effect of reducing dirty air, allowing a car to more easily follow and overtake another.

Oval configuration:
16C_4171-1.jpg

Road course configuration:
56abff2368b65bd056373f34c018aac7.jpg

Full-Time Teams and Drivers:

A.J. Foyt Enterprises (Chevrolet)
220px-A._J._Foyt_Enterprises.png

IKrKIq5.png
X793GYo.png

Driver Power Ranking: Kanaan (B-), Leist (?)
Team Power Ranking: (D)

Owned by four-time Indy 500 winner, 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, Daytona 500 winner and the winningest IndyCar driver in history, A.J. Foyt. Foyt's team hasn't quite lived up to its namesake ever since his retirement from racing, frequently taking up the rear of the field. However, this year brings a new Brazilian driving duo of veteran Tony Kanaan and rookie Matheus Leist. Tony Kanaan is entering his 20th year of IndyCar racing. His best years are behind him, with one championship win back in 2004. However, he can be counted on to bring in consistent results and mentor his young compatriot. Matheus Leist won the British Formula 3 championship before moving state-side to compete in the Indy Lights championship last year. He managed 4th in the championship and feels ready to move up to the big cars this year.

Andretti Autosport (Honda)
Andretti_Autosport.png

X6wvlXa.png
v4PhhBh.png

Sx8qU6e.png
oIOLIjA.png

Driver Power Ranking: Andretti (C-), Hunter-Reay (B), Rossi (B+), Veach (?)
Team Power Ranking: (B+)

Owned and managed by former IndyCar driver Michael Andretti. This team is just below the powerhouses of Penske and Ganassi, but are very strong at the Indy 500. The All-American lineup includes 3 returnees and a rookie in Zach Veach. Marco Andretti is the son of Michael Andretti and grandson of legend Mario Andretti. Unfortunately, Marco is not nearly as talented. Thanks to nepotism, he can look forward to keeping his job at Andretti Autosport for the rest of his mediocre career. However, Indy is the one track that he can perform well on. Alexander Rossi is the last American to drive in F1, he made the move state-side when he couldn't secure enough funding to retain his Manor F1 seat. He hasn't regretted that decision, as he won the 2016 Indy 500 in his first try, the first American rookie to do so since 1928. Ryan Hunter-Reay is the 2012 series champion and can be counted on to deliver consistent results.

Carlin Motorsport (Chevrolet)
Carlin_Motorsport_Logo.png

ikOjKXG.png
Hmbaeky.png

Driver Power Ranking: Chilton (C-), Kimball (D)
Team Power Ranking: (?)

Successful European junior series team owner Trevor Carlin is making his first foray into a top level open-wheel series. Unable to draw away more talented European drivers away from their F1 aspirations, Carlin has to make due with not one, but two paydrivers. The pair of Chilton and Kimball represent possibly the worst driving duo seen in years. Former F1 racer Chilton can at least be counted on to bring the car back in one piece. Kimball has an unfortunate tendency to get in other drivers' way.

Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
ChipGanassiRacing.jpg

Ia0JB7n.png
iP4v4bY.png

Driver Power Ranking: Dixon (A), Jones (C+)
Team Power Ranking: (A)

One of the two top dogs in IndyCar, Chip Ganassi Racing along with rival Team Penske dominate the sport. Chip Ganassi has fielded many championship winning cars in his 20+ years in the sport. This year, with the loss of Max Chilton and Charlie Kimball to Carlin, Ganassi is only fielding two cars. Scott Dixon has 41 career race victories and four championships under his belt. "The Iceman" is one of IndyCar's best drivers of all time. Consistently battling for victory, watch for him to contend for a 5th championship. The first Emirati IndyCar driver, Ed Jones joins Ganassi after winning the 2017 Rookie of the Year award (being the only full-time rookie in the field). However, that isn't to say he is untalented. He won the 2016 Indy Lights championship, and came close to victory in the 2017 Indy 500.

Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
DaleCoyneRacing.jpg

XT5UIjh.png
pJJq0zm.png
Zg5rU8z.png

Driver Power Ranking: Bourdais (B+), Claman DeMelo (?), Fittipaldi (?)
Team Rower Ranking: (C+)

Infamous for employing only ridebuyers in years past, Dale Coyne has started to hire drivers based on merit. As a result, his team has made quite the turnaround from being a backmarker team. Unfortunately this year, Dale Coyne returns to his paydriver employing ways with two of them sharing the same car throughout the season. Sebastien Bourdais won four straight championships in the former Champ Car series from 2004 to 2007. As a result, he signed on with Red Bull and Toro Rosso to race in F1. Unfortunately, he happened to be teammates with future four-time Formula 1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel. After being shown the door by Red Bull and competing at Le Mans with the factory Peugeot team, Bourdais returned to American open-wheel racing in 2011. No longer at a top team, Bourdais has nonetheless achieved several race victories since his return. Zachary Claman DeMelo and Pietro Fittipaldi has had uninspiring junior careers. However they both bring money to fund a drive for a season but apparently not enough for two separate cars. As a result, they will be splitting time in the same car throughout the season.

Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)
220px-Ed_Carpenter_Racing_logo.png

aMzJd62.png
3y8X8eK.png
6MiGBJp.png

Driver Power Ranking: Carpenter (Ovals: B+, Road/Street Courses: F), King (?), Pigot (C+)
Team Power Ranking: (C)

Owned and managed by driver Ed Carpenter, this team particularly performs well on ovals. The stepson of Tony George (the man who nearly destroyed IndyCar racing), Ed Carpenter is a stereotypical American race car driver who literally can only turn left as he refuses to drive on road courses and street circuits. Carpenter however, is quite good at only turning left. Driving the road courses and street circuits in the #20 is Jordan King. A former F1 test driver, King spent the last few years in the midfield of the Formula 2/GP2 championship. Driving the road courses for Carpenter, King hopes to land a full-time ride in 2019. Spencer Pigot has a successful junior career in the States including winning the 2014 Pro Mazda championship and the 2015 Indy Lights title. However he hasn't been able to translate that into a full-time drive. This year is his first full season and he hopes to show the rest of the grid what he's capable of.

Harding Racing (Chevrolet)
HardingRacing.jpg

ss6Tt8o.png

Driver Power Ranking: Chaves (C)

Harding Racing is an Indianapolis startup entering full-time motorsports for the first time. They have chosen 2014 Indy Lights Champion Gabby Chaves for their inaugural season. Chaves hasn't had a full-time ride since 2015, competing in one-off races for the past few years. However, he has shown that he is capable of achieving the pace to race up front.

Juncos Racing (Chevrolet)
JuncosRacing.jpg

tZnI3Yc.png
J50h5ra.png

Driver Power Ranking: Binder (?), Kaiser (?)

Another new team entering the series full-time, Juncos Racing is a successful team in the Mazda Road to Indy junior ladder. The team captured championships in the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Series and decided the next step is to take on the IndyCar Series. They are fielding a single car being shared by Rene Binder and Kyle Kaiser. Rene Binder is a recurring driver in the European junior scene. His career in Europe is in a rut due to lacklustre results. Kyle Kaiser is the 2017 Indy Lights champion and is stepping up to IndyCar in select races.

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Honda)
RahalLettermanLanigan.jpg

NRsRLgR.png
s2yTgAD.png

Driver Power Ranking: Rahal (A-), Sato (B+)
Team Power Ranking: (B)

A team with a long history in IndyCar, but not quite as successful as the top dogs. RLL is co-owned by former driver Bobby Rahal, former Late Show host David Letterman and businessman Mike Lanigan. Graham Rahal is the son of three-time series champion Bobby Rahal. Unlike Marco Andretti, Graham Rahal actually has talent and wasn't given the race seat by his father. In 2007, Rahal at age 18 was the youngest driver to debut in American open-wheel racing. He raced for various teams while becoming the youngest race winner in IndyCar history at age 19 before being hired by his father in 2013. Frequently among the Honda frontrunners, Rahal is just on the cusp of a championship. Another former F1 driver, Takuma Sato has a reputation of being fast but sometimes pushing too hard and crashing. His motto best describes his driving style: "No attack, no chance". He hasn't changed his driving style much when he joined the IndyCar series resulting in a lot of work for mechanics and large bills from Dallara. However, he cemented himself in racing history after a thrilling victory in the 2017 Indy 500.

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (Honda)
SchmidtPetersonMotorsports.jpg

Q7W8f95.png
vR4YmuU.png

Driver Power Ranking: Hinchcliffe (B-), Wickens (?)
Team Power Ranking: (B-)

Managed by former IndyCar driver Sam Schmidt. After a testing crash in 2000 rendered him quadriplegic, Schmidt made the transition from driver to team owner competing in the Indy Lights series. His team moved up to the IndyCar series and achieved sporadic success. The self-proclaimed mayor of "Hinchtown", James Hinchcliffe is a fan-favourite with a large internet presence. He is the 2011 IndyCar rookie of the year and finished second in season 23 of "Dancing with the Stars". After nearly dying in a 2015 Indy 500 practice crash, Hinchcliffe made a triumphant return the next year to put the car on pole. He has a few race victories but never found enough consistency to ever seriously challenge for the championship. Robert Wickens had a promising junior career in Europe as a member of the Red Bull Junior team. However his F1 dreams ended when Red Bull let him go and since then made a career for himself in the German DTM series. He returns to North America and will race in an open-wheel car for the first time in years.

Team Penske (Chevrolet)
Team_Penske_logo.png

qf2vyow.png
1CNdgS5.png
UsLfCGZ.png

Driver Power Ranking: Newgarden (A), Pagenaud (A), Power (A-)
Team Power Ranking: (S)

Roger Penske is a veritable juggernaut in the racing world. His operations span the globe having competed in IndyCar, NASCAR, Le Mans, Formula 1 and V8 Supercars. To race for Team Penske is both an honour and a privilege, as his team's expertise have led to 13 IndyCar championships and 15 Indy 500 victories. Roger Penske does not mess around and only hires the best drivers available. Indeed, this years driver lineup consists entirely of IndyCar champions. Team Penske, along with rival Chip Ganassi Racing, are perennial contenders for the championship. The reigning IndyCar Series champion, Josef Newgarden is America's newest breakout star of IndyCar. He achieved a championship title in his first year racing for Roger Penske. Simon Pagenaud is the 2016 IndyCar champion and is an ace road course driver, however he can hold his own on the ovals as well. Another road course ace, Will Power is the 2014 IndyCar champion. Not quite as good on the ovals as his contemporaries, Power is nonetheless a very capable driver. Power is also well-known for his outbursts of emotion, some of which include: calling another driver a "wanker", flipping the double birds at the race director and shoving an attending medical worker.

Preseason Hype Video:

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the op. Hoping for some close racing this year. Maybe not as many crazy wrecks that are highlighted in that hype video.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I might be more interested on Indy than I am for the F1 this year due to the lack of fellow Brazilians to root for. Plus the cars are a lot more sexy this year.
I'm interested in following the two young Brazilians. Leist looks promising, but he had to give up on racing in Europe due to the lack of money/sponsors. Pietro, on the other hand, grew up in the States (he actually was born there) and was working to get on Nascar, but his sponsors asked him to try to follow his granddad's path in Europe, maybe a bit too late. But he won two championships there with open wheelers and people were expecting to see him on Formula 2, and then, on the next few years a jump to Formula 1, specially on a time where there are no Brazilians on the grid, and not a lot of promising talents trying to get there. Not many people here understood why he decided to go to the United States. But I'm interested to see him on a big league. Let's see how he goes...

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
To be honest I might be more interested on Indy than I am for the F1 this year due to the lack of fellow Brazilians to root for. Plus the cars are a lot more sexy this year.
I'm interested in following the two young Brazilians. Leist looks promising, but he had to give up on racing in Europe due to the lack of money/sponsors. Pietro, on the other hand, grew up in the States (he actually was born there) and was working to get on Nascar, but his sponsors asked him to try to follow his granddad's path in Europe, maybe a bit too late. But he won two championships there with open wheelers and people were expecting to see him on Formula 2, and then, on the next few years a jump to Formula 1, specially on a time where there are no Brazilians on the grid, and not a lot of promising talents trying to get there. Not many people here understood why he decided to go to the United States. But I'm interested to see him on a big league. Let's see how he goes...
Funny thing about that. It was rumoured that the Fortec team if they were running Formula 2 this year, they would have had Fittipaldi as one of the drivers. But Fortec was not on the Formula 2 entry list and the team principal said that it was because their drivers wanted to race in America instead.

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/134519/fortec-f2-entry-on-hold-for-one-year
"We've just put it on hold for one year," Dutton told Autosport.

"It's not that we're not going to do it, it's that we're not going to do it in 2018 because the drivers that we were working with don't want to race in Europe this year and they're going to race in America.

"We're not prepared to do it half-heartedly, we'd rather do it to go out there and be strong.

I am interested in seeing how Fittipaldi gets on. I don't really put much stock in his Formula V8 championship, but it's interesting to note that Fittipaldi actually has oval experience. He raced late model dirt track races in America.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Jordan King shares his experience of driving indycars for the first time.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/02/02-28-Jordan-King-Ed-Carpenter-Racing-Sebring

The former Formula 1 test driver and 2013 British Formula 3 champion sees value in not having preconceived notions about what or where he's driving. That keeps his mind free to just drive, react and learn.

"It's quite nice in that sense," King said during INDYCAR media day three weeks ago. "I just get in it and drive it because I don't know any different. I said that to the guys. Spencer, after the first day, he said he wanted the car to do this, do that because he knows kind of where it can be or where it should be. Where for me, I was just saying this is all I want because I don't know any different, so I'm just going to be selfish.

"I'm driving it completely on feel. I don't have any preconceptions. I just get in the car and drive it and tell the engineers what I feel. I'm learning the circuits as well, so we don't have any preconceptions on the circuits, either. So all I'm doing is turning up and going right, and this is what the car can do. I drive to the ability of the car, where I don't have any (thoughts) about 'the brake performance should be a little better' or 'the front is not great' or 'to go quicker, I want this for the car.' In that sense, I suppose it's a bit more free for me and not as stressful."

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me that he has no idea about what he's supposed to do. xD

Funny thing about that. It was rumoured that the Fortec team if they were running Formula 2 this year, they would have had Fittipaldi as one of the drivers. But Fortec was not on the Formula 2 entry list and the team principal said that it was because their drivers wanted to race in America instead.

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/134519/fortec-f2-entry-on-hold-for-one-year

I am interested in seeing how Fittipaldi gets on. I don't really put much stock in his Formula V8 championship, but it's interesting to note that Fittipaldi actually has oval experience. He raced late model dirt track races in America.
Weird, I never heard this story. Maybe he's really interested to stay in the States instead of Europe after all. Or maybe he thought that going to F2 after FV8 3.5 was a sidestep. Or maybe the new F2 cars made things more expensive...?

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Weird, I never heard this story. Maybe he's really interested to stay in the States instead of Europe after all. Or maybe he thought that going to F2 after FV8 3.5 was a sidestep. Or maybe the new F2 cars made things more expensive...?
It sounded like a last minute thing. Fittipaldi first got into contact with Dale Coyne in late January, he was originally going to test Indy Lights. It also looks like he isn't completely giving up on F1, saying he has something in F1 this year. Maybe a test or free practice session? This article from earlier this month explains further:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/1...-honor-emerson-s-25th-win-anniversary-at-indy
"I'll be doing seven races, and the best news is I'll do my first Indy 500 25 years after my grandfather won," the 21-year-old told RACER. "I'm really happy and excited to race in IndyCar. It's been one of my dreams since I was a kid. I was born in Miami, grew up in the U.S., and was born the year my grandfather stopped racing in 1996, but I've been watching racing since I was five or six, watched Christian [Fittipaldi] race, watched Max Papis race at Indy; he's my uncle, married to my mom's sister, so I've always followed IndyCar."

Fittipaldi's plans for 2018 took a rapid turn late in January when an invitation to test at Sebring took on greater importance as DCR driver Sebastien Bourdais was bound to sports car duties in Daytona.

"Dale giving me the opportunity to test was a surprise," he continued. "I went there for an Indy Lights test with Ricardo Juncos because I used to race karts for him, so I tested Monday and Tuesday, and then Dale said why don't you get in the car because Sebastien had to go race sports cars. So it went really well, then Dale gave me another opportunity at Sonoma. I liked working with [DCR engineers] Craig Hampson at Sebring and Michael Cannon at Sonoma, so it's all going very well."
"As a driver you always want to be doing something full time, but the only thing the team had was the seven races because we did this quite late," he said. "So there was no chance to do the full season, so this is what I would like to do full season next year. I have an amazing teammate with Sebastien, to feed off him, and I'm going to perform at my best and give my best to the team. I am looking be here full-time next year."

The reigning World Series formula 3.5 champion comes to IndyCar from training on Europe's open-wheel ladder, and with his grandfather's pair of Formula 1 world championships and his family's long history in the cockpit, not to mention as an entrant, the allure of grand prix racing remains strong within young Pietro.

"There might be a chance of something this year in Formula 1," he said. "It's not confirmed. It's a dream come true to be able to race in IndyCar and the Indy 500, and one of my objectives is to one day race in Formula 1. So, I'm not completely closing that door. If there's an opportunity to do something there this year, it would be amazing – and if I can do both IndyCar and Formula 1 in the same year, that would be even more amazing."

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Will watch every race, live when I can, on demand via the youtube channel when I can't or don't get a HULU recording setup in time :(

Hoping for a good year with a lot of close racing!

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! We are planning to go to the race in Portland this year. I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix before and was amazed how close you could get to the race course. After watching for a while, I went to the bathroom and found oil spray on my face! Yeah, that close.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Awesome! We are planning to go to the race in Portland this year. I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix before and was amazed how close you could get to the race course. After watching for a while, I went to the bathroom and found oil spray on my face! Yeah, that close.
Nice! Did you get to see any of the drivers? IndyCar is much more relaxed and accessible in terms of fan interaction than some other racing series. Most drivers will always have time to chat or have a meet and greet.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking forward to this season with all the new teams & the new aero kit. Feels like the series is trending up.

Also the Coyne team has been really impressed with Pietro Fittipaldi at his tests, so I think he's quite a bit more promising than OP does.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Definitely looking forward to this season with all the new teams & the new aero kit. Feels like the series is trending up.

Also the Coyne team has been really impressed with Pietro Fittipaldi at his tests, so I think he's quite a bit more promising than OP does.
We'll see, testing is testing. I've mentioned before in other places how much I hold in contempt the post-Renault era Formula V8 championship. IndyCar and American racing is a clean slate, and he does have oval experience, so it'll be interesting to see how he places in the races he's running. I should also say, that I at least believe Fittipaldi to be better than Claman DeMelo.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It bugs me to no end how IndyCar has the best racing but by far the least mindshare of the big three leagues (Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar). NASCAR is just mindless pack racing, and nobody would watch it if it weren't for the giant crashes that causes. Formula 1 used to be great, but the cars almost drive themselves now, and the winner is almost always the team that spends the most. The drivers are real prima donnas too.

IndyCar is real driving by real drivers. No automatic anything in the car, at least half the field always has a chance, both ovals and road courses, real passing, and friendly personalities.

Fans argue so much over what the solution to the low numbers is, but it's pretty blatant to me. One, to keep momentum, change the race that follows the Indianapolis 500 to anything besides Detroit (heck, cancel Detroit), but preferably another oval. And two, add more superspeedways to the schedule. America likes big and flashy, and just Indianapolis and Pocono ain't gonna cut it. Everything else like a better TV deal and more than two engine manufacturers will naturally follow.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
It bugs me to no end how IndyCar has the best racing but by far the least mindshare of the big three leagues (Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar). NASCAR is just mindless pack racing, and nobody would watch it if it weren't for the giant crashes that causes. Formula 1 used to be great, but the cars almost drive themselves now, and the winner is almost always the team that spends the most. The drivers are real prima donnas too.

IndyCar is real driving by real drivers. No automatic anything in the car, at least half the field always has a chance, both ovals and road courses, real passing, and friendly personalities.

Fans argue so much over what the solution to the low numbers is, but it's pretty blatant to me. One, to keep momentum, change the race that follows the Indianapolis 500 to anything besides Detroit (heck, cancel Detroit), but preferably another oval. And two, add more superspeedways to the schedule. America likes big and flashy, and just Indianapolis and Pocono ain't gonna cut it. Everything else like a better TV deal and more than two engine manufacturers will naturally follow.

Yeah, it's always depressing to wonder how things would have turned out if the split never happened. I think the main thing keeping more ovals off the schedule is that the owners of those tracks are much more friendly towards NASCAR and that oval attendance these days outside of Indy are laughably small. I loved the races at California Speedway, but the crowds don't look good on TV and that's what potential sponsors will focus on. Everyone wants more ovals, it's just whether the right people are able to support them. Gateway showed last year that if a good promoter and sponsor got on board an oval race can make financial sense.

It's just that street circuits are much easier to market to a casual audience, people don't need to travel for hours to attend, the race comes to them. At the same time, the last thing IndyCar needs is to become Champ Car 2.0 and have the vast majority of the schedule become street or road circuits.

I think the solution is to fix the weird scheduling gaps between races. Just look at the one month gap between the season opener and the second race. A more compact schedule would make it easier for the series to remain in the public consciousness.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
IndyCar needs to hit a homerun with their next tv contract. Take less money, if necessary, just control the digital rights and be on espn, or network tv, for every race.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird place to be, I think. Americans enjoy oval racing, but outside the States people really don't care about it. People usually say that oval racing is boring, that it's basically pushing the throttle and turning to the left til the end of the race, which is a sad misconception.

Indy is more exciting and unpredictable than F1 because all the cars are basically the same. In F1 people like to see the Ferrari, the Mercedes, so it will never be a place where anyone can win like Indy and other spec series. But I disagree with the statement about F1 cars basically driving themselves. I mean, they don't have ABS, TCS or any other electronic aid while driving. In my opinion, F1 drivers actually do more then they should be doing messing with all those buttons and screens at the wheel while having to drive a 1000 hp beast without any kind of driving aid.

It sounded like a last minute thing. Fittipaldi first got into contact with Dale Coyne in late January, he was originally going to test Indy Lights. It also looks like he isn't completely giving up on F1, saying he has something in F1 this year. Maybe a test or free practice session? This article from earlier this month explains further:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/1...-honor-emerson-s-25th-win-anniversary-at-indy
It would be interesting to see a driver racing in both series at the same time, unless he sucks and be a backmarker in both. xD

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Final preseason testing wrapped up yesterday at Sebring. Rahal and Sato had the fastest times of the day in the two sessions.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/147708-rll-on-top-as-indycar-testing-wraps-at-sebring

A long offseason of preparation has come to an end for Verizon IndyCar Series teams as the last major test has reached its conclusion. According to unofficial times that were set during two sessions at a hot and steamy Sebring International Raceway, Takuma Sato led the way in the morning with his Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda (51.64s).

IndyCar rookie Jack Harvey was second in his Michael Shank Racing Honda (51.90s), RLLR's Graham Rahal was third (51.97s), Ed Carpenter Racing's Spencer Pigot and Jordan King were tied for fourth in their Chevy-powered entries (52.00s), and the rest of the early runners – all using Chevys – had Carlin Racing's Max Chilton (52.10s) and Charlie Kimball (52.22s) in sixth and seventh, Harding Racing's Gabby Chaves in eighth (52.32s), and Juncos Racing rookie Rene Binder in ninth (52.92s).

In the afternoon, RLLR's Rahal took over the top position with the fastest lap of the day (51.39s) as Pigot (51.60s) and King (51.79s) jumped to second and third for ECR. Sato and MSR's Harvey set the same lap time (51.81s) to tie for fourth, Carlin's Chilton was sixth (52.10s), Juncos's Binder was seventh (52.19s), Harding's Chaves was eighth again (52.66s) and Chilton's teammate Kimball closed out the list with a 52.87s).

And a bonus, some fan video of the cars in action at the test session. Listen to that glorious sound.

Dobby

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scrolling through the driver list and had to do a double take -- Robert Wickens!

In my younger days as a kart racer he was the "hometown hero" of my league. Everyone looked up to him. Such a great guy, really down to earth. If any Canadian of my age had the chance to go F1, it was Robert. Shame it didn't work out but Indy seems like a much better fit over DTM.

Great pairing with Hinchcliffe. I'll be rooting for him!

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
FriskyCanuck Why you gotta do my boi Max Chilton dirty like that?
Because all of the other far more worse drivers left the series, leaving him in the bottom two of known commodities.

Scrolling through the driver list and had to do a double take -- Robert Wickens!

In my younger days as a kart racer he was the "hometown hero" of my league. Everyone looked up to him. Such a great guy, really down to earth. If any Canadian of my age had the chance to go F1, it was Robert. Shame it didn't work out but Indy seems like a much better fit over DTM.

Great pairing with Hinchcliffe. I'll be rooting for him!
Yeah, it's great. Hinch and Wickens used to be teammates before 10+ years ago. There's going to be some great chemistry there. One of the team owners is also a Canadian so you can say that this is the unofficial Team Canada.

Deleted member 34907

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Nice! Did you get to see any of the drivers? IndyCar is much more relaxed and accessible in terms of fan interaction than some other racing series. Most drivers will always have time to chat or have a meet and greet.

I live in Tampa and went to the St. Pete Grand Prix and yes I was within feet of drivers all Sunday and I just had regular seat passes. I came out of the restroom and there was Sebastian waiting his turn to use the next stall.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
He, it seems that the commitment of Band TV with Indycar will be even worse this year. I won't pay extra to watch on cable, so I guess I won't be following this year like I was planing to do. :P

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Grew up watching CART in the late 80's and 90's and went to a few races with my dad. Got back into Indycar last year and followed the season. My dad and I went to our "home" track of Road America and watched the race in person.

Such a good time in person, and unbelievable access walking the paddock before a race being a few feet from the cars as they work on them before the race. Definitely hoping to go back again this year and follow the season again. Love the new look of the cars.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Very nice OP.
It's a great series and very competitive because of the variety of courses. Ovals, pro road courses and street courses provide a real variety of challenges for teams. I always found F1 to be a little boring but IndyCar provides some great racing.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
RA is easily the best American circuit in my opinion. What a fantastic track...

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it seems that Band TV will show most of the races live. Yeah! \o\

It's a fantastic track. Walked ALL over RA. Went down to Turn 1 for the start of the race. Inside of turn 3 for a few laps, then walked over to the carousel, then out to turn 7/Hurry Down. Watched the last few laps at Turn 13.
The only races I've been were in a street circuit here in my hometown. It was a nice venue, considered by many the best street circuit here in Brazil because it was really fast (and dangerous).

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Oh, it seems that Band TV will show most of the races live. Yeah! \o\

The only races I've been were in a street circuit here in my hometown. It was a nice venue, considered by many the best street circuit here in Brazil because it was really fast (and dangerous).

IndyCar should go back to Brazil in the future, especially with two young Brazilians looking to make a career in IndyCar. The races in Sao Paulo were always entertaining.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
IndyCar should go back to Brazil in the future, especially with two young Brazilians looking to make a career in IndyCar. The races in Sao Paulo were always entertaining.
Hmm, I don't think so. Last time I heard that the Indycar organizers were really pissed with Band TV for failing to bring the last race that should happen in Sao Paulo that they had in the contract. Then Band promised a race at Brasilia, but that was just a distraction since the circuit was (and still is) in a really crappy state. Then there were talks about a race at Goiania (which would be interesting cuz it's a pretty decent circuit, FIA B grade). I think that Band TV failed to find the money due to the current crisis we're dealing with, plus our politicians are mostly a bunch of clowns.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IndyCar has almost consistently been one of the best (if not THE best) major racing series for quite many years now. WEC is going to the shitter, Formula 1 had its ups and downs but currently you can't overtake, Formula E is definitely not for everyone and limited (I love it, though), NASCAR is probably too over-the-top in looking for the spectacle (those endless caution restarts at the end, damn)... IndyCar had some really wild races in this decade. If I think some of the biggest excitements I've felt in this decade of racing, I think a huge share of moments are at IndyCar, the Indy500 especially that somehow manages to be the best racing event every fucking year, constantly beating the previous year's race. And despite the fast cars, the great circuits, the fantastic drivers (far better grid than NASCAR for example)... it's still relatively niche. I'm really looking forward to this season, the changes sound great.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Round 1 of 17: Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Race Guide
firestone-grandprix-logo.png

It's the first race of the season! We begin a new era of IndyCar racing in St. Petersburg, Florida on a temporary street/airport circuit. Look for ample passing opportunities at turns 1, 4 and 10. Joining the grid for the first race of his partial schedule is two-time Indy Lights runner-up and former McLaren junior driver Jack Harvey. He is running a partial season with Michael Shank Racing partnering with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Zachary Claman DeMelo is driving the #19 Dale Coyne car this weekend and Rene Binder is driving the #32 Juncos Racing entry.

Current Championship Standings:

N/A

Previous Race Winner:
Sebastien Bourdais, Dale Coyne Racing, Dallara-Honda

The Circuit:

St. Petersburg Street Circuit
Type: 14-turn temporary street circuit
Length: 1.8 mile (2.9 km)
Race Distance: 110 laps = 198 miles (319 km)
Lap Record: Will Power (1:00.245, Dallara-Chevrolet, 2016)
D7w8TRx.png

Weekend Schedule:
All times are Eastern Time

Practice Session 1: March 9th, 11:20AM-12:05PM
Practice Session 2: March 9th, 3:10PM-3:55PM
Practice Session 3: March 10th, 11:10AM-11:55AM
Qualifying Session: March 10th, 2:20PM-3:35PM
Warmup Session: March 11th, 8:45AM-9:15AM
Race Start: March 11th, 12:40PM

Spotter's Guide:
New to following IndyCar and can't tell which car belongs to who? Got you covered!
nmff9Jj.png

jsIx4bh.png

IndyCar Throwback:

This throwback takes us back to the year 2012. The first race and year IndyCar raced the new Dallara DW12 chassis, of which makes the base of the current aerokits. It was also the first race since the passing of Dan Wheldon who died in the 2011 season finale. He was central in the testing of the new chassis and had a street in St. Petersburg named after him (the straight after turn 10).

Additional Notes:

Practice and qualifying sessions are streamed live at http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Timing and scoring is available during the race as well in the aforementioned link.

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Can't effin wait!

BTW, I have to get this put of my chest: I hate the fact that every car has an unique livery. There's no team identification like "oh, that's a Penske" or "that's an Andretti" like we have basically everywhere in the world. And as if it wasn't bad enough, sometimes they change the livery entirely right in the middle of the season because of some sponsor deal, out of nothing. You like the driver with the blue car, but suddenly you can't find the blue car on the next race because now it is yellow. In my opinion, they should fix this. People like to identify with some team or driver. For example, I think that Boudais' car looks badass this year, but I know that down the road it might look completely different. Next year that beautiful livery probably won't be there anymore.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Can't effin wait!

BTW, I have to get this put of my chest: I hate the fact that every car has an unique livery. There's no team identification like "oh, that's a Penske" or "that's an Andretti" like we have basically everywhere in the world. And as if it wasn't bad enough, sometimes they change the livery entirely right in the middle of the season because of some sponsor deal, out of nothing. You like the driver with the blue car, but suddenly you can't find the blue car on the next race because now it is yellow. In my opinion, they should fix this. People like to identify with some team or driver. For example, I think that Boudais' car looks badass this year, but I know that down the road it might look completely different. Next year that beautiful livery probably won't be there anymore.
Well that's the issue with sponsorship I suppose. These days it's difficult to find a sponsor willing to fund a car for the entire season, let alone an entire team. Most sponsors on the smaller teams would only be on a car in races where they have a presence. Gone are the days where Marlboro or Target can sponsor multiple cars allowing for the same liveries. IndyCar is also more driver-centric than team-centric so the different liveries add to the drivers' uniqueness.

However, there are some small indicators that can help identify certain teams. For instance, Andretti cars have chrome noses and Penske cars have a curved red line across the side of the car. Most of the other teams have matching livery designs, just with different colour combinations. I like the way Foyt has their liveries, same livery but inverted colours.

I'll say that Josef Newgarden's car is carrying the "standard" Penske livery and the Juncos car also has their standard livery. Those are basically carrying the team's standard colours.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
At least the liveries tend to be colorful.

Bourdais
Power
Binder

This is my top three.

Man, I'd love to see Codemasters bringing up an Indycar game with the same treatment they give to F1...

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I added a new section to the race guide. It's an official upload of the 2012 St. Petersburg Grand Prix. I think I'm going to add a throwback race of each track for every round of the championship. All from the official youtube channel of course.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Great OT!

Sebastien Bourdais is 39? It seems like he has been racing for 100 years.

I'd tune in on Sunday but the in laws will be visiting and taking over the basement (where the TV is) lol.

Whoa, forgot they were racing in Portland this year! (11:30am start to boot!) I need to go. I haven't seen a major race there since the ALMS race in 2006.