• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Animated-Flag-Finland.gif

Finland wins!

(USA silver, and Russia bronze)

logo2g4f4v.png

Info

Everyone's favourite holiday hockey tournament is back for its 2018-2019 iteration (sorry, Spengler Cup). Canada hosts in alternate years and since it was hosted by Buffalo (U.S.A.) last year, this one is jointly in Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. The previous tournament was won by Canada, with Sweden claiming the 2nd place medals, and U.S.A. finishing 3rd. Group placement and seeding is determined by performance in last year's event, with the one country who was promoted from a lower division having been dropped into Group B. In the preliminary (group stage), it is a round robin format, where the top four teams in each group will advance to the Quarter Finals, while the two fifth place teams will be forced to play a best of three series whose victor will be allowed to remain in this top division tournament next year. The loser will be relegated and replaced by a newly promoted team. Belarus was one-and-done last year; we will see how Kazakhstan fares! For detailed information on the rules and format, please see the Links section below.

Venues

venuesh3f95.png

Participants

Group A
groupa69dl7.png

Group B
groupbaci1w.png

Schedule

(Note: Times shown are local, Pacific Standard Time)

Group Stage -- Group A
KJkwdHWaQSCoULOqttUNrw.png

Group Stage -- Group B
DjfMxHYtQ2ifpG2A9dHJEg.png

Relegation Round

4R5SmSSBREKpoUBJWX0HUg.png

Congratulations to Kazakhstan on its two-game sweep of Denmark! Denmark is relegated to the lower division for 2019-20, while Germany has been promoted to the top division.

Elimination Round

MNZ4QnV6Qn2crDVNzDm47Q.png

6yLwSVp3RYe0BATjyA-o3g.png

Television

Was not able to find TV information for this year's event, however here it is for last year. Probably not too different.

Canada: TSN, RDS, TSN Radio
Czech Republic: Ceske Televize
Finland: YLE
Kazakhstan: ???
Russia: MatchTV
Slovakia: RTVS
Sweden: SVT, TV4, Sveriges Radio
Switzerland: MySports
United States: NHL Network

Links

Official website homepage
Tournament information, including rules, etc.
Hockey Canada's tournament website
USA Hockey's tournament website
Last year's thread on Reset Era
2018 tournament official website

Last edited:

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Excited to see the Habs with some meaningful prospects for the first time in a while

Mr Bungle

Dec 11, 2017
My son's 18u AAA team will be in Victoria this weekend for a tournament at Shawnigan Lake School. We have tickets for a game in Victoria on the 2nd. Hoping that Team USA plays so that we could see one of the boys from his team on the ice as a D.

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, zroid!

Preliminary games are done now, right? Canada losing to Finland shouldn't be concerning, but it's interesting that DiPietro has struggled just enough to put his job into question

Now here's a video of Quinn Hughes losing his shit after he sees his younger brother limp off after a crosscheck

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it, don't have much going on over Xmas so I should get to watch most the games I want

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I like when the tournament is overseas and I get to watch hockey at like 5 AM and shit, but I'm probably the only one.

let's go Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Usually love these tourney's since the Snes have decent amount of prospects to follow but this year it's basically Josh Norris.

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty excited to see Brook on that first pairing.

He wasn't good defensively last week, but maybe just early tournament jitters. It'll be interesting to see how Canada's D manages against the Czechs and Russians, but at least they warm up against the Danes and Swiss.

Get to see Hughes x2 live tonight :D
Then future Canuck Kappo Kakko

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the swiss are my favourite team because they have a player named Nando Eggenberger

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Slovakia decides to at least try hard. Expectations aren't too high but they do have some decent prospects, too bad they are usually surrounded by shit players.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Kaut looked a little slow but he was good at setting up a lot of plays and he was dangerous at times. 1G 1A after the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
Quinn Hughes -always- wants the puck and shouts for it constantly. No lack of confidence. His ability to draw in players and create space for himself and teammates is amazing

Jack is insane on his edges. Falls sometimes since he tries to do too much

I can't watch the US game in my region, thanks TSN.
That's fucked

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Satan's boy scores

this will be meaningless to anyone not on Discord lol

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well discord shit the bed. Guess I'll post here.

Why did Denmark not challenge the second goal? It was clearly offside.