FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
logo.png

KCnu1hP.jpg

America's premier open-wheel racing championship returns for its 99th season. Now under new management with "The Captain" Roger Penske acquiring the IndyCar series and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway over the offseason (one could say he won the American open-wheel racing civil war). Under his stewardship, hopefully the sport will grow and reach new highs both in North America and abroad. Highlighting the 2020 campaign is the addition of a new "aeroscreen" safety device which should help in deflecting away debris from the cockpit area. Oh yeah, there is also a certain Spaniard once again coming back to the Indy 500 looking for the final jewel in his Triple Crown. Hopefully his team finds the correct shade of orange paint this time. The universal aerokitted Dallara DW12 proved to be a catalyst for amazing racing in the two seasons and this season with more tweaks to the package, is promising to provide another competitive season. Several new drivers are entering the series from both sides of the Atlantic looking to challenge the old guard of IndyCar.

Where to watch?
NBC and NBCSN will carry live coverage of all race events. For international viewers see below for the broadcasters in your country.
All practice and qualifying sessions can be viewed on NBC's digital subscription platform NBC Sports Gold.

7WK62Gs.png

33a2tXb.png

The Race Calendar:
DOwxXgY.png

The Car:
All teams and drivers drive the Dallara DW12 powered by either a Chevrolet or a Honda engine. The engines are twin turbo 2.2L V6 producing up to 675 horsepower, depending on the track. On road courses, drivers can use a push-to-pass button giving them a boost of 60 horsepower. The cars can be configured in an oval configuration or a road course configuration. All cars and teams use spec Firestone tires. On road courses, teams can use a primary tire compound and an alternate tire compound. The alternate red sidewalled tires provide better grip at the expense of tire life.

The 2018 season heralded the introduction of a universal aerokit, meant to evoke memories of the late 90s/early 00s CART cars. The aerokit produces most of the downforce in the undertray, resulting in slower cornering speeds but higher top end speed in comparison to the previous aero package. It also has an added effect of reducing dirty air, allowing a car to more easily follow and overtake another.

New for 2020 is the addition of an "aeroscreen", a device developed with Red Bull Advanced Technologies meant to protect drivers from cockpit intrusions.

Oval Configuration:
2019-IndyCar-Aeroscreen-Test-Will-Power-Action-Eric-Schwarzkopf-Photo.jpg

Road Course Configuration:
GETTYIMAGES-1205793350.jpg

Full-Time Teams and Drivers:

A.J. Foyt Enterprises (Chevrolet)

220px-A._J._Foyt_Enterprises.png

yP4h1Bq.png
mAHQb2D.png

wZqpGPm.png
SFjGvLh.png

Driver Power Ranking: Bourdais (B-), Kanaan (C), Kellett (?), Pinball (D)
Team Power Ranking: (D)

Owned by four-time Indy 500 winner, 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, Daytona 500 winner and the winningest IndyCar driver in history, A.J. Foyt. Foyt's team hasn't quite lived up to its namesake ever since his retirement from racing, frequently taking up the rear of the field. The addition of Bourdais may reveal whether there is an fundamental issue with the team that is preventing its drivers from being competitive.

Andretti Autosport (Honda)
Andretti_Autosport.png

21EhNHl.png
pmwqT2P.png
vwbW1nf.png

84i1ISk.png
RvBWvku.png

Driver Power Ranking: Andretti (C), Herta (B), Hunter-Reay (B+), Rossi (A), Veach (C-)
Team Power Ranking: (A-)

Owned and managed by former IndyCar driver Michael Andretti. This team is just below the powerhouses of Penske and Ganassi, but are very strong at the Indy 500. The All-American lineup includes 4 returnees and a sophomore in Colton Herta.

Arrow McLaren SP (Chevrolet)
ArrowMcLarenSP.jpg

MJ6Ahwt.png
3WQOqw5.png

Driver Power Ranking: Askew (?), O'Ward (?)
Team Power Ranking: (B-)

Founded by former IndyCar driver Sam Schmidt. After a testing crash in 2000 rendered him quadriplegic, Schmidt made the transition from driver to team owner competing in the Indy Lights series. His team moved up to the IndyCar series and achieved sporadic success. McLaren Racing reached an agreement with Sam Scmhidt Petersen Motorsports to run the team as a joint entry expanding and returning the McLaren name to IndyCar racing. The newly rechristened team puts forward two promising rookies for their effort, coincidentally making Fernando Alonso the driver with the most Indy 500 experience.

Carlin Racing (Chevrolet)
Carlin_Motorsport_Logo.png

qxYFQDD.png
fi3T8Gx.png
#31 TBA
Driver Power Ranking: Chilton (D), Daly (?)
Team Power Ranking: (D)

Successful European junior series team owner Trevor Carlin made a foray into America with little success after relying on paydrivers, most notably Max Chilton. Chilton drives the #59 for road/street courses and the Indy 500, while Conor Daly drives it for oval events.

Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
ChipGanassiRacing.jpg

B8fe9OE.png
bUZUobc.png
G16FsOt.png

Driver Power Ranking: Dixon (A), Ericsson (C), Rosenqvist (B)
Team Power Ranking: (A)

One of the two top dogs in IndyCar, Chip Ganassi Racing along with rival Team Penske dominate the sport. Chip Ganassi has fielded many championship winning cars in his 20+ years in the sport.

Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
DaleCoyneRacing.jpg

gjuOi29.png
fLIGVEy.png

Driver Power Ranking: Ferrucci (MAGA), Palou (?)
Team Rower Ranking: (B-)

Infamous for employing only ridebuyers in years past, Dale Coyne has started to hire drivers based on merit. As a result, his team has made quite the turnaround from being a backmarker team. This year, Dale Coyne once again returns to his paydriver employing ways with the extension of European racing outcast Santino Ferrucci. Palou however, is a promising prospect fresh from a strong rookie Super Formula campaign in Japan placing 3rd in the championship.

Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)
220px-Ed_Carpenter_Racing_logo.png

keS85xy.png
qqCw85P.png
ISa2oYk.png

Driver Power Ranking: Carpenter (Ovals: B+, Road/Street Courses: F), Daly (?), Veekay (?)
Team Power Ranking: (C)

Owned and managed by driver Ed Carpenter, this team particularly performs well on ovals. The stepson of Tony George (the man who nearly destroyed IndyCar racing), Ed Carpenter is a stereotypical American race car driver who literally can only turn left as he refuses to drive on road courses and street circuits. Carpenter however, is quite good at only turning left. He has Conor Daly filling in the #20 when right turns are involved. Rinus Veekay, a frontrunner in the Indy Lights series drives the other entry.

Meyer Shank Racing (Honda)
Meyer-Shank-Racing.jpg

T0uMOwa.png

Driver Power Ranking: Harvey (C+)
Team Power Ranking: (C)

Meyer Shank Racing is an IMSA regular making its first full time campaign in 2020 with their go to guy Jack Harvey. They are receiving technical support from Andretti Autosport.

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Honda)
RahalLettermanLanigan.jpg

ho7yOAS.png
dBsrlrO.png

Driver Power Ranking: Rahal (B-), Sato (B)
Team Power Ranking: (B-)

A team with a long history in IndyCar, but not quite as successful as the top dogs. RLL is co-owned by former driver Bobby Rahal, former Late Show host David Letterman and businessman Mike Lanigan. Graham Rahal is the son of three-time series champion Bobby Rahal. Unlike Marco Andretti, Graham Rahal actually has talent and wasn't given the race seat by his father. Takuma Sato has a reputation of being fast but sometimes pushing too hard and crashing. His motto best describes his driving style: "No attack, no chance". He hasn't changed his driving style much when he joined the IndyCar series resulting in a lot of work for mechanics and large bills from Dallara.

Team Penskewinslol (Chevrolet)
Team_Penske_logo.png

E4NHgGW.png
1ZVS4t0.png
V4Xtf0c.png

Driver Power Ranking: Newgarden (A), Pagenaud (A), Power (A-)
Team Power Ranking: (S)

Roger Penske is a veritable juggernaut in the racing world. His operations span the globe having competed in IndyCar, NASCAR, Le Mans, Formula 1 and V8 Supercars. To race for Team Penske is both an honour and a privilege, as his team's expertise have led to 14 IndyCar championships and 16 Indy 500 victories. Roger Penske does not mess around and only hires the best drivers available. Indeed, his driver lineup consists entirely of IndyCar champions. Team Penske, along with rival Chip Ganassi Racing, are perennial contenders for the championship.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Bummed at the race selection for NBC proper, the only races I'll get to watch since I've ditched cable/streaming TV :(

Hoping for a good season with great races.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DAZN was definitely improving last year in Italy. They started with a clueless commentator who clearly never saw an Indy race before, then they've put a guy who really knows what's up. Best was obviously when a night race had no commentary and resorted to the USA feed.

Hopefully it will be a fun season, overall! 2019 was probably the least interesting year in a while, but there were still some classic races.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I guess I'm in again? I watched one or two races last year, but they didn't really grab me. Decided to give it another go this year and see if anything changes.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
And Frisky didn't even highlight the part timers and 2021 silly season rumors 👀

A pretty stacked field this season.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, FriskyCanuck ! Can you actually watch the races this year?
Maybe the night races lol. If I'm lucky I might be able to sign work that has Sundays off, but I'm still pretty low in the seniority and you know weekends off are what everyone wants.
And Frisky didn't even highlight the part timers and 2021 silly season rumors 👀

A pretty stacked field this season.
If I did, the post would be too long!

I'm thinking of making an OT for the Indy 500 when time comes this time. The one from 2017 at the old place was pretty packed.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Crazy how stacked Penske's team is.

Also crazy that the guy who owns the sport gets to run a team. It's like Mercedes buying F1 and then running a driver lineup of Hamilton, Verstappen and LeClerc. Why would anybody else bother turning up?

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Also crazy that the guy who owns the sport gets to run a team. It's like Mercedes buying F1 and then running a driver lineup of Hamilton, Verstappen and LeClerc. Why would anybody else bother turning up?
I believe in the integrity of Roger Penske, he loves the sport too much to sabotage it with unfair trickery.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there was some wondering about that, but:

1.) Penske has handed off operation of his teams to Tim Cindric, which was the assumed succession plan that was already in place

2.) Penske is enough of a veteran to have lived through every past conflict in USAC/CART/IRL/Indycar history and doesn't want any repeats of that. 9 figures is a lot to spend on something. I doubt he did it just to dominate a series he already sort of dominated by having one of the top teams. This is a long term investment for him.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I believe in the integrity of Roger Penske, he loves the sport too much to sabotage it with unfair trickery.
1.) Penske has handed off operation of his teams to Tim Cindric, which was the assumed succession plan that was already in place

Oh, I didn't mean to intimate any sort of foul play, more a level of intimidation and trepidation that this sort of environment could inevitably create.

Anybody not named Penske competing in Indy has to be feeling the heat.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Plus, I'd want the sport to be as competitive as possible and attract new money/fans/eyes if I had a big enough stake in it. One team cruising to easy wins all the time wouldn't make $$$ sense.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that there wil be no Brazilian regular driver this year for me to root for. I thought that Felipe Nasr would join...? Oh, and I'd give that O'Ward guy a solid A. This dude is GOOD.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't mean to intimate any sort of foul play, more a level of intimidation and trepidation that this sort of environment could inevitably create.

Anybody not named Penske competing in Indy has to be feeling the heat.

Ah, understand where you're coming from now.

The good news out of the gate is Penske has used his business connections to line up some new series associate sponsor deals.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Can you live stream races from the NBC Sports Gold app? Practice sessions and Qualifying is nice but I see no mention of being able to watch live races through that app.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they'll keep doing the YouTube race recaps. Watching the race in 30 minutes is great! I know, I'm a bad fan.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread as always! Excited for another season.

Too bad it sounds like it's going to be delayed or cancelled to start though. Not surprised, but for the best.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck am I supposed to watch now that there are literally no sports left.

Curious what ESPN will even broadcast.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
03-27-New-Artwork.jpg

Entry list for tomorrow's iRacing virtual race at Watkins Glen (on indycar.com and iracing's Twitch feed)

Code:
CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN CAR NAME TEAM ENGINE
1 1 Josef Newgarden Nashville, Tennessee Hitachi Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
2 2 Scott McLaughlin Christchurch, New Zealand Shell V-Power Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
3 4 Sebastien Bourdais Le Mans, France Tresiba A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
4 5 Pato O'Ward Monterrey, Mexico Arrow McLaren SP Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
5 7 Oliver Askew Jupiter, Florida Arrow McLaren SP Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
6 8 Marcus Ericsson Kumla, Sweden Huski Chocolate Chip Ganassi Racing Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
7 10 Felix Rosenqvist Värnamo, Sweden NTT DATA Chip Ganassi Racing Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
8 11 Kyle Kaiser Santa Clara, California Juncos Racing Juncos Racing Chevrolet
9 12 Will Power Toowoomba, Australia Verizon Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
10 14 Tony Kanaan Salvador, Brazil ABC Supply A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
11 15 Graham Rahal New Albany, Ohio United Rentals Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
12 18 Santino Ferrucci Woodbury, Connecticut SealMaster SealMaster Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser Sullivan Honda
13 20 Conor Daly Noblesville, Indiana U.S. Air Force Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet
14 22 Simon Pagenaud Montmorillon, France Menards Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
15 24 Sage Karam Nazareth, Pennsylvania DRR Wix Filters Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Chevrolet
16 26 Zach Veach Stockdale, Ohio Gainbridge Andretti Autosport Honda
17 27 Alexander Rossi Nevada City, California AutoNation / NAPA AUTO PARTS Andretti Autosport Honda
18 28 Kyle Kirkwood Jupiter, Florida DHL Andretti Autosport Honda
19 29 James Hinchcliffe Toronto, Canada Genesys Andretti Autosport Honda
20 31 Felipe Nasr Brasilia, Brazil Carlin Carlin Chevrolet
21 41 Dalton Kellett Stouffville, Canada K-Line Insulators A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
22 55 Alex Palou Barcelona, Spain Dale Coyne Racing with Team Goh Dale Coyne Racing with Team Goh Honda
23 60 Jack Harvey Lincoln, England AutoNation/Sirius XM Meyer Shank Racing Honda
24 88 Colton Herta Belleair, Florida Capstone Andretti Harding Steinbrenner Autosport Honda
25 98 Scott Speed Manteca, California U.S. Concrete / Curb Andretti Herta with Marco & Curb-Agajanian Honda

Also NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson is running and the NBC Sports crew will be on the call

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
If Jimmie does anything like last week it won't be pretty :D

Thankfully it's a road race so it'd be tough for him to take out half the field.

Best lineup of racers for an eRace so far and it's not even close.

It's pretty awesome that it's basically a legit race field. A lot of the IndyCar drivers are very experienced at iRacing as well.

Also, Robert Wickens is going to try to run if someone gets him the needed equipment in time. The company that was going to give him one screwed him over.