• Entirely docked

Votes: 144 14.2%
  • Mostly docked

Votes: 248 24.5%
  • 50/50 docked and portable

Votes: 220 21.7%
  • Mostly portable

Votes: 222 21.9%
  • Entirely portable (I own the original Switch)

Votes: 130 12.8%
  • Entirely portable (I own the Switch Lite)

Votes: 49 4.8%

• Total voters

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
When I play games by myself, it's mostly grindy RPGs in handheld mode.
When I play with the wife, we play together on the big screen.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I've mostly played Pokemon Sword recently, so when I do, I play in portable form. Have played 35 hours thus far, and that's been the majority of playtime on the Switch. Thus, I said mostly portable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Almost entirely docked with my Pro Controller. I hate the feel of the joycons in my hands.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Almost exclusively portable, minus Ring Fit sessions. I just wanna be in bed playing video games.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How has this set up been for you? I'm thinking of picking up a Lite to use in addition to my original unit.

For me it has been amazing.
I'm about a 50/50 user. Cloud Saves with NSO make it almost trivial.
Just download the latest save and you are good to go. Digital games make this process slightly easier.

Pokemon is the exception but I usually only play that handheld.

Worth it for me because i find the Lite more comfortable to hold for longer sessions.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Three Houses last year was the first game to really make me play docked, and mostly while it was recharging. Otherwise, I go very heavy into portable.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
mostly docked but it really depends on the game as I feel some games are a better experience one way or another.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
100% docked now. Portable is uncomfortable as fuck and the small screen hurts my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Lite so portable obvs.

If I want to play on the telly I'll use my PS4 where multiplatform stuff is typically going to be better for bigger screen gaming than the switch would be able to muster.

Man, I love my Switch Lite though.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
About 50/50 but I tend to use the pro controller even undocked.i have a hori stand and it will sit on a table. Handheld is just cramping my hands. It's not very comfortable for me

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Mostly portable, in a bus when going to work and coming home. It's a great way to spend the time.

If there's a game I'm really interested in then I'll find the time to play it at home but quite often I play portable there too. At times might play docked.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Mostly docked as the games and currently have on my Switch I just prefer to play on my TV. However once I get around to playing DQ11 and CS3 I will probably be playing those in handheld mode for a majority of the time.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
85% docked 15% portable when traveling.

I take hour long train rides 2-4 times per week so it's great for those moments. Otherwise, it stays docked.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll occasionally play it handheld if the TV is being used by someone else, but only for about 10 minutes or so because I remember that the Switch is a terrible handheld console.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
These survey results show that the choice to go with both was a great decision by Nintendo. Even a fairly similar group of people (Era posters) all play differently.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
50/50. or maybe slightly more docked, mostly depends on the type of game.

I prefer to play games like Fire Emblem: 3 houses handheld. But games like Mario Odyssey or Astral Chain I much prefer docked

May 10, 2019
85% portable, since I work on the road a bit and I mostly play other consoles and PC at home. If I've got a Switch game that I'm severely working on (like I do for stretches of DQ XI S still) then I'll play it docked.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Even tho I've mainly been using it at home recently, I'm still in portable mode most of the time. It's just easier that way somehow.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Mostly portable with some docked play here and there. Will lean more portable now as I bought a Lite as well and it's incredible.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
docked at home, handheld while out of town or when watching something on TV like sports. a part of me says i should be playing handheld more often so i can multitask. pokemon i played almost entirely handheld cause if i played it docked it felt like i was wasting time. if i play handheld at home though i have to have something also playing on the TV or listening to my record player, unless i'm in bed.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
50/50 atm. I played Fire Emblem Three Houses in Portable mode but now i'm playing XC2 while docked.

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
I use handheld for single-player games and docked for local multiplayer. This is mainly due to the fact that I'm usually playing online with friends on other platforms when I'm at home; I usually save my single-player gaming (on the Switch) for when I'm out of the house.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I'm very fond of playing when chilling in bed, and when I'm playing elsewhere in the house, or on the couch, my boyfriend is usually playing as well. He prefers docked, and I really don't care so I end up portable unless it needs charged, then we switch off and I get the dock.

I started off playing entirely docked back in 2017 - it was only in the past 6 months or so that I really started to enjoy handheld. Part of that was helped by the flip grip and Downwell, the other was that something just clicked in my mind.

Also, I d-pad modded my joy con, that helped, too.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
For me it has been amazing.
I'm about a 50/50 user. Cloud Saves with NSO make it almost trivial.
Just download the latest save and you are good to go. Digital games make this process slightly easier.

Pokemon is the exception but I usually only play that handheld.

Worth it for me because i find the Lite more comfortable to hold for longer sessions.

It's been good but I'm not the best test case because there's certain games I only play handheld and there's certain games I only play docked. There isn't a single game I've played on both systems.
Cool. I have an extra SD card so I think what I might do is install a bunch of my JRPGs there and leave stuff like Diablo, Smash and Mario Kart on the original for when friends come over.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
95% docked. That screen is just way too small, I feel like you're doing yourself a disservice playing on that thing.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I have an extra SD card so I think what I might do is install a bunch of my JRPGs there and leave stuff like Diablo, Smash and Mario Kart on the original for when friends come over.

Yea I do that with some games. Smash for example I don't even keep installed on my Lite.
But some games I swap back and forth so I can take my Lite with me when I travel and it's pretty easy.