Status
Not open for further replies.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I wish literally anyone was watching Kevin can Fuck Himself
I got AMC+ for a year so we watched maybe the first two (three?) episodes like 6 months ago.. and I dunno, it wasn't working for me at all. It's not a bad concept but I just didn't feel compelled to watch more of it, frankly.

I guess my AMC has a few months left.. I really want to watch that French show on there The Bureau (I think?) but still haven't been able to get my wife to jump in. Heard it's outstanding.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Showtime is doing a series based on the life of King Shaka of Zulu. Shaka's a fascinating figure so hopefully they give this a decent budget. Shooting in South Africa is a good sign I think.

deadline.com

‘King Shaka’: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Mustafa Shakir Among 4 Cast In Showtime Series

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Oz) and Mustafa Shakir (Luke Cage) are set as leads opposite Charles Babalola in Showtime’s King Shaka drama series. Additionally, Terry Pheto (Tsotsi) and Lerato Mvelase …

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I got AMC+ for a year so we watched maybe the first two (three?) episodes like 6 months ago.. and I dunno, it wasn't working for me at all. It's not a bad concept but I just didn't feel compelled to watch more of it, frankly.

I guess my AMC has a few months left.. I really want to watch that French show on there The Bureau (I think?) but still haven't been able to get my wife to jump in. Heard it's outstanding.
The Bureau is excellent, though it falls off a bit in later seasons. My wife and I really enjoyed it overall.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Emmys are on Monday this year. Would be nice to see Better Call Saul pick up some significant wins, but I'm not expecting it.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Emmys: Who Will Win, Who Should Win

THR’s chief TV critic Daniel Fienberg and executive editor of awards Scott Feinberg parse through this year’s stacked categories.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
May 10, 2018
I liked Paper Girls and thought it had some potential.

Not saying it could have been Amazon's Stranger Things but I don't think Amazon really put their weight behind it either.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Renewed for Sixth and Final Season

"The Handmaid’s Tale" has been renewed for a sixth and final season ahead of its Season 5 premiere on Hulu.

Also "Bruce Miller… is actively developing "The Testaments," a follow-up to "The Handmaid's Tale," which picks up years later, for Hulu"
It's time.

Now it looks like Anna and Maya from PEN15 both have TV projects lined up.

deadline.com

Anna Konkle To Headline ‘Western’ Freevee Comedy Pilot From Lord Miller

Anna Konkle (PEN15) has been tapped as the lead in Amazon Freevee's Western comedy pilot.

Nice!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I made it two episodes in and just couldnt get into Paper Girls. I guess it just works better as a comic.

The Handmaid's Tale needed an ending to work towards, so im happy. Plus The Testaments shouldnt be too far off either, by the time The Handmaid's tale ends.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, we are cancelling shows like nothing again...then again, no one is really gonna miss them.
New OT should around the Emmmys

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I wish Paper Girls' cancelation surprised me more but it got dropped at a bad time and just wasn't good enough.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Why they didn't drop Paper Girls in June I don't know. S1 wasn't very good but it had moments of being a good show, a second season could have improved things. Really hoping ALoTO survives but it probably will because it can get Emmy noms.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Renewed for Sixth and Final Season

"The Handmaid’s Tale" has been renewed for a sixth and final season ahead of its Season 5 premiere on Hulu.

Also "Bruce Miller… is actively developing "The Testaments," a follow-up to "The Handmaid's Tale," which picks up years later, for Hulu"
I haven't watched since the season 3 finale. No clue how they could possibly spread that plot for another three seasons while ALSO trying to setup The Testaments. What the fuck lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched since the season 3 finale. No clue how they could possibly spread that plot for another three seasons while ALSO trying to setup The Testaments. What the fuck lol
I just read summaries of the finales now. I can't bring myself to be dragged along each season anymore.

deadline.com

‘Paper Girls’ Canceled By Prime Video After One Season, Will Be Shopped By Legendary Television

Amazon Prime has opted not to pick up a second season of Paper Girls, its sci-fi series based on Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang’s graphic novel.
This is too bad. I get the feeling they were really trying to have their own Stranger Things and the series seemed interesting enough, but I guess it just wasn't big enough.

I'm hoping A League of Their Own doesn't get canned though. I feel like that was even lower key than Paper Girls' release.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A League of Their Own has been getting 10 times the press as Paper Girls and it didn't need budget for giant mecha. It also has found an audience and has good WoM. I feel confident it's safe. Now if Rings of Power underperformed, I'd be less optimistic.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
A League of Their Own has been getting 10 times the press as Paper Girls and it didn't need budget for giant mecha. It also has found an audience and has good WoM. I feel confident it's safe. Now if Rings of Power underperformed, I'd be less optimistic.

Let's be clear, whatever the budget of paper girls was, it didn't go into the mecha.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what metrics count nowadays, but I don't think I've heard anyone talk about A League of Their Own. It also seems like if they "binge" a show, it's like being sent to die, whereas the shows they care about like The Boys and LOTR get the weekly releases.
I also assume cosplaying the 1940s costs some money, even if they don't really show too much.

Still, hoping for a renewal soon...

Let's be clear, whatever the budget of paper girls was, it didn't go into the mecha.
Haha, yeah.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what metrics count nowadays, but I don't think I've heard anyone talk about A League of Their Own. It also seems like if they "binge" a show, it's like being sent to die, whereas the shows they care about like The Boys and LOTR get the weekly releases.
I also assume cosplaying the 1940s costs some money, even if they don't really show too much.

fwiw, A League of Their Own charted this week in Nielsen's streaming list at #8 with 326 million minutes watched, whereas Paper Girls never did

maybe that means something to Amazon, maybe not!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Haha, yeah.

Yeah, it's hard to say. I believe both Terminal List and Jack Reacher dropped at once, and that strategy seemed to benefit both shows. Whereas I'm not sure it helped Paper Girls, but I heard the show takes time to really develop so would an audience have stuck with it week to week if the first few episodes were so so.

Maybe the Prime Video show skews somewhat older and younger people aren't turning to the service for that.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still laugh when I think about all the bad baseball CGI when someone mentions ALoTO. Most of it was completely unnecessary too.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
fwiw, A League of Their Own charted this week in Nielsen's streaming list at #8 with 326 million minutes watched, whereas Paper Girls never did

maybe that means something to Amazon, maybe not!
Hopefully. Or maybe it just depends on whether people who watched that show ended up buying baseball gear with Prime shipping after they finished it. lol

ALoTO would likely be dead at Netflix but Amazon has different standards I suspect. Given one of the showrunners has a history with Amazon Studios, I think that also helps things.
They murdered my baby Mozart in the Jungle though, which is the other show he ran. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself!

Yeah, it's hard to say. I believe both Terminal List and Jack Reacher dropped at once, and that strategy seemed to benefit both shows. Whereas I'm not sure it helped Paper Girls, but I heard the show takes time to really develop so would an audience have stuck with it week to week if the first few episodes were so so.

Maybe the Prime Video show skews somewhat older and younger people aren't turning to the service for that.
I haven't watched them, but Amazon has a few shows in the same vein like Outer Range... Then again, genre fiction is weird I guess. But yeah,
Paper Girls definitely would have benefited from the speculation hype though.

I still laugh when I think about all the bad baseball CGI when someone mentions ALoTO. Most of it was completely unnecessary too.
ngl I didn't really notice, but I was probably more invested in the drama than the baseball parts. lol

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
They murdered my baby Mozart in the Jungle though, which is the other show he ran. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself!

ngl I didn't really notice, but I was probably more invested in the drama than the baseball parts. lol
I'm not saying ALoTO will get 7 seasons and a movie, but I think it'll get at least one more and that'll be the deciding factor.

Yeah, the CGI balls were comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.