• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The report suggests that Nintendo has recently visited Innolux, with the insinuation that it may be parting company with its current screen suppliers Sharp and JDI and using Mini-LED display technology from Innolux in an upgraded Switch rumoured to arrive next year.

Contrary to traditional LCD backlights, Mini-LED screens provide a much more local field of backlighting to illuminate the pixels on the screen more precisely, improving screen contrast and, potentially, battery life (there's less 'waste' or light spill as light is only delivered to pixels that need it).

So what does this mean for a hypothetical Switch Pro? Screen contrast and brightness to rival that of an OLED screen and improved battery life as the console draws power more efficiently to the parts of the screen that need illumination. Whether this rumour turns out to be substantial is anyone's guess at the moment, but of all the wild whispers doing the rounds, this certainly sounds more plausible than many.

www.nintendolife.com

Rumour: 'Switch Pro' Could Feature A Mini-LED Display, According To A New Report

Nintendo's looking to improve screen performance and battery life

Original source:
money.udn.com

群創大突破 打進新Switch供應鏈 | 產業熱點 | 產業 | 經濟日報

任天堂掌上型遊戲機Switch搭上疫情帶動的宅經濟商機,全球大熱賣,任天堂乘勝追擊,近期開始籌備明年推出的下一代Swit...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tcl-mini-led-guide.jpg

Helps a lot with contrast

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Well, if this is true, that means it won't be a console-only edition like some thought/hoped and will still be a hybrid of some kind. That's kind of interesting.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Edit: Disregard, thought this was referring to microLED.

I doubt the cost efficiency is there yet. Maybe for Switch's successor ("The Succ," as this forum affectionately refers to it).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if this is true, that means it won't be a console-only edition like some thought/hoped and will still be a hybrid of some kind. That's kind of interesting.

I think that all the rumors coming from China/manufacturers have always pointed to a new/better screen - new/better battery life hybrid console
not even to a "more powerful" chip

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they mean micro led? Never heard of mini
Mini led is currently in TCL series 6 TV's, and is absolutely terrible due to local dimming not working properly, dark areas are too dark and light areas cause too blooming.

But that could be an issue with the algorithm they are.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't believe this, nintendo's QC on displays has been very mediocre for years and companies like apple have not adopted this technology yet. i don't see it happening at a price point nintendo wants and they certainly don't care enough about screens to splash for it.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope a Switch revision hits in 2021.

The hope for a standalone console was always weird to me. Switch Lite works because there's no other portable it's competing against. But a TV only Switch? Even a more powerful version will still fall behind PS5 and XBX...who's it marketed to?

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect they're 'visiting' a lot of screen suppliers to see which technology fits their price, power, and quality targets best.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Surely if the Switch Pro is to be released next year they'd already have figured out which companies to source components from, as opposed to what "recently visited Innolux" implies?

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Cool, I guess?

I just want this thing to have thinner bezels and bluetooth. Maybe a better dock that won't scratch screens (or just have a gorilla glass screen).

Maybe upgraded Joy Cons with grips for more comfort in handheld mode.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that this Mini-LED display will not have a Piss Yellow™ color temperature?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Surely if the Switch Pro is to be released next year they'd already have figured out which companies to source components from, as opposed to what "recently visited Innolux" implies?
If the 120Hz debacle for the iPhone 12 Pro proved anything (Apple tried until the 11th hour to get it working), stuff like this can go on for a while. But if they're still looking, I'd probably guess that the revised Switch may be later in 2021.

Apple & Nintendo debuting miniLED in the same year seems unlikely
That's my confusion as well. Apple I understand since they'd be the ones to push technologies like this (as they did with pushing USB-C as the new standard). But Nintendo, seems a bit too soon for them.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm sure that they will get right onto giving you what you want despite the Switch selling so ridiculously well there's basically no need for a "Pro" version.
Even a hot selling product has a lifecycle and with consoles the peak years are usually year 3 and 4 so if Nintendo, who relies on only one platform, wants to keep a high sales curve for a long time, lets say 10 years, they will need to offer a mid gen upgrade of some sorts. It would make sense to release one next year when the Switch is 4 and a half years old and sales are declining.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
If the 120Hz debacle for the iPhone 12 Pro proved anything (Apple tried until the 11th hour to get it working), stuff like this can go on for a while. But if they're still looking, I'd probably guess that the revised Switch may be later in 2021.
Yeah, I guess Holiday 2021 would make more sense in this case.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So many people confusing mini and micro

This would definitely be a nice upgrade. I wonder if they are planning to bump the switch pros resolution up at all or will it stay 1080p

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
why the hell would they ever do that? The hybrid design is why the switch is doing so well, it would be asinine to abandon that.
Literally no rumor ever implied the Pro was a console only SKU.

All trusted sources infact always focused on improved screen quality.
I can't imagine there is a single person who wanted it to be console only? Switch so closely associated with handheld gaming.

Shields down, guys. I wasn't saying I wanted that, just I know some who wanted or hoped for it. That's all.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Could be my first Mini-LED device then if they manage to get it out before the 2021 iPad Pro :O