MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Looking at picking up an ipad and have the choice of an ipad air (2022) or a 2018 11" iPad Pro for $100 less ($749v649 CAD). Is the $100 worth the age and lack of an M1 CHIP?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
There is no way of predicting the future but I would bet you get at least 2 years extra in firmware updates plus the M1 is massively overpowered for the tasks an iPad iPad can actually do that you will probably get better performance for longer as well

Plus big changes to iPad in the future might only come to M1s and up.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
IMO, get M1 iPad Pro. You can get it on regular sales close to new Air pricing. It has high refresh screen and a few other good options.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be tempted to go with the Pro for 120hz. My M1 pro is a monster that can do anything an iPad can do while not breaking a sweat, but the A12Z in my wife's 12.9" Pro doesn't struggle either.

The new iPad Air in blue though is gorgeous. If the iPad Air is 64GB: Pro. If it's 256GB: Air.

ButtButt

Oct 30, 2017
I would say Pro for the ProMotion 120Hz refresh rate if that matters to you. I tried the Air recently but I can't unsee the 120Hz refresh from my Pro.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
iPad Pro easy

Pro-Motion is a game changer
The Air is also super thin build quality wise, people aren't really happy about it.
The A12X is still just as capable as the M1.

Quad speakers >

Apple Pencil 2 and MK support as well.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
iPad Air for sure

More future proof

And if the battery on the iPad Pro hasn't been replaced, then that's something you'll probably end up having to do sooner rather than later.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
120hz will make the device feel so much smoother - much more than the M1 will make it perform better.

Do you own a 120hz iPhone yet? as soon as you do, scrolling on a regular, 60fps, iOS device feels kinda shitty.

Then again, doesn't the Air have more RAM?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
120hz is the only reason you need to get the pro.

I got my 2017 pro for $350 a few years ago and even that being a step down from the 2017 is still working amazingly.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd go for the Air. The Pro is how old now? You're just limiting the life of your device. The Pro only has 4GB of RAM compared to 8GB on the Air which is a big difference.

I previously had a 3GB iPad and apps and tabs reloaded like ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I would log into a website and if it asked for 2FA, I would switch to Authy and back to Safari and the tab would have already reloaded, smh.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I think basically everyone here is ignoring that OP is looking at a device with 64GB of storage. My iPad mini is 64GB and only works well for my usage due to being a supplementary device to my Pro and iPhone. It would require constant internet access and more app and file management otherwise. If that's not a problem, great, but it's certainly something to be aware of.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Which one has more storage & newer battery? That'd be the biggest distinction for me.

I'm in the midst of the same buying decision, altho deciding between a new Pro and new Air. Apple is so good at that next upsell. Makes it easy to go from $700 to ....$1100 in incremental steps .

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Will reiterate again, OP should go for the new M1 Pro. Once you factor in storage upgrade, pricing will be close especially if you catch a good sale.

If 128GB is enough, M1 Pro makes a lot more sense.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're doing crazy intensive tasks, as a regular user you'll get more of a noticeable benefit from the Pro's 120hz and quad speakers than the Air's M1 chip. The Pro will still be very fast.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
That Pro only has 4gb of RAM I think? It will depend on your use case then - if you do things that need more RAM you'll be better off with the Air. The processor in the old Pro is plenty fast and the faster refresh is super nice but the RAM can be a problem sometimes.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Will reiterate again, OP should go for the new M1 Pro. Once you factor in storage upgrade, pricing will be close especially if you catch a good sale.

If 128GB is enough, M1 Pro makes a lot more sense.
The pro is a gnarly machine. My buddy just got one recently - it's bonkers. Probably the best hardware apple has made since the last good era of the MBPs (2012-2017ish?)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The pro is a gnarly machine. My buddy just got one recently - it's bonkers. Probably the best hardware apple has made since the last good era of the MBPs (2012-2017ish?)
Yep, its really nice. I am running 12.9" 2018 Pro still, but been eyeing new M1 iPads. Issue at the end is iOS limitations that hamper the hardware. Hopefully iOS 16 will bring improvements on that front.

So yeah, if you are buying something now, Air kind of doesn't make sense. Not enough storage unless you are full online without local software/music/movies/etc and too expensive for casual folks. So M1 11" Pro on sale will be very close to 256GB Air since lets face it, 64GB is not enough in 2022 unless all you do is stream and then why would you buy Air?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
OP can I hijack your thread?

Getting $1000 from work soon that I have to spend on something, its a service award so you can't keep the cash, and I've honed in on a new iPad.

I'm deciding between:

Newest 11.9" Pro, 128gb, and apple pencil, which comes to $928.

Or

Newest iPad Air, 256gb, apple pencil, which comes to $878

With tax on both I think it'd be close to throw in a Logitech case too for the Air or close to it. I've had a logi case for my 5+ year old ipad mini and I like it.

Unsure of which one I should go for. I dont do "pro stuff" (so many comparison videos show someone doing video editing on the pro .. I'll never do that) I mostly use the iPad for consuming stuff, reading magazines, newspapers, light internet use, YouTube, browsing etc. I won't be using this as a laptop replacement, I've got a new MacBook pro and i don't really see myself using it on my lap as a laptop and I probably won't get the pro case.

I also think I'll get a telescopic Mount for it to use with my MacBook Pro occasionally as a 3rd display for work, but mostly just as an extra screen probably for like the notes app or something.

Price is not really a factor. I don't mind going a little over $1000 adding a special case or anything. I also will have $400 from apple when I trade in my old MacBook, so i could upgrade to the fancier keyboard case. The largest pro is out of the question, I don't want something that big.

Additionally there is a good chance that ky daughter might use this tablet a bit for coloring and stuff, but that's only sometimes.

What do you all think? Is the 120hz screen worth it on the pro, or the more storage on the air...?

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
OP can I hijack your thread?

Getting $1000 from work soon that I have to spend on something, its a service award so you can't keep the cash, and I've honed in on a new iPad.

I'm deciding between:

Newest 11.9" Pro, 128gb, and apple pencil, which comes to $928.

Or

Newest iPad Air, 256gb, apple pencil, which comes to $878

With tax on both I think it'd be close to throw in a Logitech case too for the Air or close to it. I've had a logi case for my 5+ year old ipad mini and I like it.

Unsure of which one I should go for. I dont do "pro stuff" I mostly use the iPad for consuming stuff, reading magazines, newspapers, light internet use, YouTube, browsing etc. I won't be using this as a laptop replacement, I've got a new MacBook pro and i don't really see myself using it on my lap as a laptop and I probably won't get the pro case.

I also think I'll get a telescopic Mount for it to use with my MacBook Pro occasionally as a 3rd display for work, but mostly just as an extra screen probably for like the notes app or something.

Price is not really a factor. I don't mind going a little over $1000 adding a special case or anything. I also will have $400 from apple when I trade in my old MacBook, so i could upgrade to the fancier keyboard case.

Additionally there is a good chance that ky daughter might use this tablet a bit for coloring and stuff, but that's only sometimes.

What do you all think? Is the 120hz screen worth it on the pro, or the more storage on the air...?
I would go for Pro, OP. Screen is a lot better and it makes the difference, IMO. It's brighter and has 120hz refresh while price difference is not huge. Also, Pro has Face ID which is better for home use as well as better rear cameras (if that matters) and LiDAR sensor for AR.

Finally, Pro has better speakers and microphones and it has faster USB-C as well. So IMO, its worth the small price jump to go to the Pro. I'd throw in some cash to go from 128gb to 256gb/512gb (don't remember which step Pro has) if you are going to install software, store videos, etc...

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Get the Pro, future support won't make a 60 hz display run at 120 or have better on board speakers

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

yeah the 256gb pro w/ pencil is $1028 so maybe $1100 total with tax/etc, only a little more than my budget.

I want to get a case, but I don't really like the idea of having keys on the back of the case when I'm reading it like a magazine/newspaper. Anybody got experience with that, like when you flip the keyboard cases open, can you accidentally hit the keys, or even if it deactivates, is it annoying to have them there if you're holding the ipad like a magazine/ebook/etc?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

yeah the 256gb pro w/ pencil is $1028 so maybe $1100 total with tax/etc, only a little more than my budget.

I want to get a case, but I don't really like the idea of having keys on the back of the case when I'm reading it like a magazine/newspaper. Anybody got experience with that, like when you flip the keyboard cases open, can you accidentally hit the keys, or even if it deactivates, is it annoying to have them there if you're holding the ipad like a magazine/ebook/etc?

I think Logitech makes some really nice (but pricey) keyboard cases for the iPad Pro. But they're a lot cheaper than the Apple ones. The Combo Touch case is the one I've used. You get a case for the iPad, which has a built in kickstand, and the keyboard piece just magnetically attaches to the case:

www.logitech.com

Combo Touch Keyboard Case for iPad | Logitech

Shop Combo Touch for iPad. Compatible with iPad (7th, 8th, 9th & 10th gen). Backlit, Multi-touch Trackpad

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a m1 12.9 as my personal device and a 2022 ipad air from work. I think pro Motion is overrated, i go between them regularly and barely care, what difference does it make if your pdf or resetera thread scrolls smoother? If I were using a mouse I might notice more. I'd go for air, m1 and ram, but agree with everyone saying the pro will be plenty fast enough as well.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Between those two I would go for the Pro if it were me. Has more things that would be more noticeable in everyday use, much better speakers, smaller bezels, pro motion etc. Plus the a12x is still a powerful chip and would be overkill for 99% of stuff on an iPad.

I would look out for a 2020 model on sale or refurbished from apple though for the higher base storage and couple other little things. I got one almost exactly a year ago for $680 which was $120 off right before they announced the 2021 pros.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
iPad Pro. It's still extremely powerful and I found it impossible to go back to a 60hz iOS device after using a 13 pro. Check out apple refurbished. I got a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro for around $700 a year ago.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, but I'm still rocking my 2018 pro and it runs like a champ. There's never been any time where I've wished I'd upgraded over the last few years, and I use Procreate daily, and Adobe products sometimes. And regular stuff constantly every day too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think Logitech makes some really nice (but pricey) keyboard cases for the iPad Pro. But they're a lot cheaper than the Apple ones. The Combo Touch case is the one I've used. You get a case for the iPad, which has a built in kickstand, and the keyboard piece just magnetically attaches to the case:

www.logitech.com

Combo Touch Keyboard Case for iPad | Logitech

Shop Combo Touch for iPad. Compatible with iPad (7th, 8th, 9th & 10th gen). Backlit, Multi-touch Trackpad
Just saw a youtube video on this and I think it's the one I'll go for. Was deciding between the COmbo touch and Folio touch, but I like the combo one you can detach the keyboard, and the difference is just like $30 or something.

The official iPad cases are either super expensive and not perfect for my use case, or just kinda shitty and still pretty pricey.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Can't go back after having my 10.5 Pro with a 120 hz display. That's a bigger difference than any SoC will make. Not upgrading this sucker till iPadOS takes better advantage of those crazy specs or it dies on me. Such a fantastic device. The A10X is one of Apple's best chips

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a youtube video on this and I think it's the one I'll go for. Was deciding between the COmbo touch and Folio touch, but I like the combo one you can detach the keyboard, and the difference is just like $30 or something.

The official iPad cases are either super expensive and not perfect for my use case, or just kinda shitty and still pretty pricey.
Make sure you get the right one, the air and 11 inch pro are very similar and can share accessories but with the air using Touch ID the combo touch for the pro covers the power button and makes it unusable. I think they have one for the air specifically. I just got the combo touch and like the keyboard a lot, more than the smart folio keyboards.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice on the iPad Pro ya'll, and OP for hijacking your thread :D

Pulled the trigger on 11" Pro, 256gb, Apple Pencil, and the Logitech Combo Touch case đź‘Ť

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend the Magic Keyboard if you can swing it - much better in every way to every other case including Logitech

Cool thanks for the rec. I got the logitech combo one because I don't really plan to use the keyboard much at all. I want it available as an occassional option, but really like that it snaps on and off, because most of my use will be as a reader/magazine/newspaper/etc. I'd still want it as an option from time to time, but I don't plan on using the ipad as a 'laptop replacement.' Who knows tho, maybe with this one I will end up using it more and it might become that for me, so I'll check that out in the future for sure.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
i recently got a ipad pro myself. originally i had the air on preorder but after doing some research i canceled and pulled the trigger on the pro. ProMotion, face ID, HDR and 4 speakers (vs 2) are compelling reasons to get the pro over the air. also, the air wont take full advantage of the m1 chip.

get the pro

edit: oops, i overlooked that u were considering the 2018 ipad pro. get the 2020 one and rest easy

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a Pro, is that the Air still has a fingerprint sensor and my current Pro does too. I don't want FaceID; I want TouchID. But I also want 120hz, so nothing fits.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a Pro, is that the Air still has a fingerprint sensor and my current Pro does too. I don't want FaceID; I want TouchID. But I also want 120hz, so nothing fits.
TouchID is grear for a phone, FaceID is better for a tablet IMO. Just easier to deal with and works horizontally and vertically.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the 128GB 11-inch M1 Pro around the same price as the 256GB Air? I think I'd sacrifice the storage for the 120hz screen. Alternatively, maybe you can find a good deal on a 256GB 2020 Pro? I wouldn't recommend buying a 4 year old device just because of the battery and future update support.

Nov 2, 2017
I think basically everyone here is ignoring that OP is looking at a device with 64GB of storage. My iPad mini is 64GB and only works well for my usage due to being a supplementary device to my Pro and iPhone. It would require constant internet access and more app and file management otherwise. If that's not a problem, great, but it's certainly something to be aware of.

Most important post in this thread. I consider 64GB to be unusable for an iPad at this point, and I say that as someone who has all my photos in iCloud, and stream all my music. As an additional device? OK, sure, that works. But 64GB is like 57GB out of the box, and so many essential basic apps take up half a gig to two gigs each easily, and that's even before you start getting into file storage and leisure apps. Even just sitting around on the sofa surfing the net and doing basic light use you're going to be constantly juggling apps and files which, frankly, defeats the whole purpose of it being a casual consumer device. For more than casual use... so much hassle. So much.

For reference, I have a 500GB iPad Pro which is only so big so it stores all my photos offline as an extra backup without constant downloading from iCloud, but my MacBook which was an emergency "tide me over" purchase has only 128 GB and I constantly have to plug in external drives and delete massive amounts of apps to be able to do system software updates. 256GB is the minimum I'd consider for any device on which you plan to do any sort of serious work at all. YMMV of course.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
I would get the Air if you want to keep it updated for the years to come (even if the A12X of the 2018 iPad pro will stay supported for long).

I have a feeling that Apple have a good reason to start putting the M1/8GB in their middle end tablet.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
That Pro only has 4gb of RAM I think? It will depend on your use case then - if you do things that need more RAM you'll be better off with the Air. The processor in the old Pro is plenty fast and the faster refresh is super nice but the RAM can be a problem sometimes.
I thought it was 6, but I looked and you're right. The 2020 is 6GB but 2018 is 4GB. I think my answer changes to iPad Air now lol. I still think 128GB Pro is best of both worlds though.

TouchID is grear for a phone, FaceID is better for a tablet IMO. Just easier to deal with and works horizontally and vertically.
I was used to Face ID on my phone and iPad Pro so thought Touch ID would be a pain in the ass on my iPad mini but once I added my left index finger as well it's been seamless and convenient, and I sort of wish my Pro had both.

I have a feeling that Apple have a good reason to start putting the M1/8GB in their middle end tablet.
Economies of scale. Simplifying the supply chain is a great reason to stuff the M1 in absolutely everything.

Well went to pick up a blue air and oos at the local apple store
Purple is gorgeous too. Speaking as a purple mini owner.