• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If all 3 end up being great, which one will the dominate the “awards conversation”?

• If all great then none will clearly prevail over the other two

Votes: 223 7.4%
  • Zelda will definitely win the most awards

Votes: 2,332 77.0%
  • Spiderman 2 will definitely win the most awards

Votes: 140 4.6%
  • Starfield will definitely win the most awards

Votes: 334 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
With Zelda, Starfield, and Spiderman 2 all coming this year, this feels like the first time, or at least in a good while, where all three console manufacturers are bringing out an exclusive 1st party title each with a clear chance at snapping a fuckton of GOTY awards.

Will it be neck-and-neck or is there one you feel will definitely get the cake if it all pans out (i.e. all three games end up being great)?

I clearly expect to see all 3 nominated for TGA's GOTY.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
One of these won't even sniff any major GOTY awards. I'm going to allow you to decide which one

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
If Starfield delivers on the premise of being a "skyrim in space" with loads of explorable worlds, then for me at least it will be game of the century. It's like the game I used to dream about as a kid...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
never bet against a Zelda. They don't come through 100% of the time, but they're damn sure bets

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Zelda will clearly dominate awards. It's catnip for those types of events/press.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
FSb00bJVUAAQJja

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Spider-Man is never in contention for GoTY. Depending on when FFVII-R comes out, that might have a shot as a 3rd party exclusive but I think thats it unless Sony pulls a rabbit out of its hat. Starfield we'll see, Zelda is gonna win and none of us have played it lol

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not really. Zelda is easily going to win.

And Insomniac has never made a GotY-caliber game. Not saying their games suck, I fucking love Spidey 2018, A Crack in Time, and Resistance 3, but they just don't have that x-factor.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no skin in the game, but I expect:

Zelda on top, or at least top 2.

Starfield ? because it's either the GOAT or the jank, so #1, 2, or 3

Spiderman 2 is #2 or #3

Elden Ring DLC will win it all.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think it is obviously Zelda. Spider-man will be great but I don't know if it is award calibre.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't rule out TLOU MP from the rankings. We don't know if it's definitely releasing in 2023, but I think it's likely. I know MP games don't typically make the cut for GOTY, but it's Naughty Dog, and it's seemingly got a strong narrative focus, so we'll see how that goes.

That said, yeah based on what we're aware of so far Spider-Man 2 has a chance to be top dog on the PlayStation first party side of things. For PlayStation exclusives in general, FF16 could be a factor there. I think there's a lot of unknowns on top of that as Sony hasn't had a showcase yet.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
It will be Zelda even if it's disappointing to some I can see it still being the most awarded, but hope Spider-Man 2 can give it a fight

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced that Starfield is going to be all that great. The footage we saw really did nothing for me.

Zelda seems like the clear GOTY from a first party perspective. Proven track record of quality.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
My expectation is that GOTY 2023 is Zelda's to lose at this point. It's not guaranteed by any means, but it's the clear favorite.

I'd be surprised if Starfield launches in anything resembling a polished state.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Tears of the Kingdom is the favorite, but I think Starfield has a good chance as well.

Spider-Man 2 will be a great game, but I don't think it will be GOTY material.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I am biased, I think Starfield is going to be the game of the generation.
I think Zelda is going to be great, and it will likely be down to these two, but my heart just has to go with Starfield.

Spider-Man 2 is going to review well (like the first) and be a commercial success (like the first), but it's not going to win many GOTY awards.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I prefer Spider-Man 2 over both Zelda and Starfield, but I know there's little chance it'll win GOTY.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Spider-Man is never in contention for GoTY. Depending on when FFVII-R comes out, that might have a shot as a 3rd party exclusive but I think thats it unless Sony pulls a rabbit out of its hat. Starfield we'll see, Zelda is gonna win and none of us have played it lol

Spider-Man 2018 was nominated for GOTY 2018 at TGA, so it was in contention there. As for the odds of SM2 winning this year, it's an uphill battle, but I just wanted to point out that its predecessor was in the running at least.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Out of those 3? Zelda. By a mile.
That being said, I'm curious if there are any other contenders releasing...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield not "having a chance against Zelda" is pretty myopic, I think.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really, REALLY enjoyed Spider-Man and Miles Morales for what they were, and Spider-Man is by far and away my favorite superhero, but neither one made it on to my goty lists for their respective release years. I hope 2 is great! I'd love it if it ends up being my favorite game of 2023! But if it's just more of the same with better graphics and symbiote stuff, then it's probably gonna be another really fun, breezy romp that leaves me cold in the gameplay department.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Potential hot take since you usually shouldn't bet against Zelda, but in a post-Elden Ring world I think it has a hill to overcome in addition to the "more of the same" stigma. Some may not call that a stigma since most would love more BOTW, but Im not sure the judges would necessarily agree.

If Starfield isn't a buggy mess on release, then sure it has a shot. But Bethesda doesn't exactly have a track record for polish with these RPGs.

Spiderman 2 also has "more of the same" to overcome and likely won't be as ambitious as Zelda or Starfield.

I'm betting against the odds here but I'm thinking FF16 has a shot at bringing enough new to the table in addition to having an engaging plot and polish that YoshiP might bring home the big win this year.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I love Insomniac and Spider-Man but you gotta be crazy to think it's going to win GOTY in a year with Final Fantasy 16, TOTK, Starfield, and Resident Evil 4. At the very least it'll get a TGA nomination like 2018.

It's going to be Zelda 200%

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure all will be great,

But Starfield will get predictably murdered by tech stuff.

Spiderman will be amazing, but GOTy? Dunno. I'm sure it will fit the template and all that.

Zelda will be...Zelda. It's Zelda. BOTW 2.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
If it were up to the general gaming audience, it might be somewhat close. But it isn't, so Zelda is going to crush. Then Starfield. And I guess Spiderman will get a few crumbs too.