• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
Hi Era,

In the next 14 month we will get these deluge of Japanese RPG titles (with half of them are even turn based!):

1. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
2. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
3. Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail
4. Metaphor: ReFantazio
5. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
6. SaGa: Emerald Beyond
7. Persona 3 Reload
8. Unicorn Overlord
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake
10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak
11. Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil
12. Suikoden I & II Remastered
13. Baten Kaitos PC Port
14. Legend of Legacy Remastered
15. Granblue Fantasy: Relink
16. Blue Protocol NA
17. Stray Children JPN
18. Madou Monogatari JPN
18. dragon dogmatic 2

Not confirmed:
1. Final Fantasy 16 PC Port
2. Rune Factory 6 / Project Dragon (whichever come first)
3. Front Mission 3 Remake
4. DQ III Remake
5. Marvelous Project LifeisRPG / Marvelous project Magia

This year end:
1. Super Mario RPG
2. Star Ocean 2 Remake

and some games I haven't listed

I got a concern that those titles could cannibalize each other releasing on same year, with some title will be on bargain bin list, does that concern baseless? or will it be the year where Japanese RPG reach new heights and expand their consumer base?

It is so stacked that my wallet start to cry even though the year haven't started yet, lol. So Era, are you personally looking forward for next year? Which of these games will you support?

I hope you guys purchase and support those games because this moment where many of premier Japanese RPGs releasing on same year only come once in a blue moon

Last edited:

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Looking good but I'm only really excited about SaGa: Emerald Beyond. Will definitely try out a few more and hopefully be surprised.

And even though I dislike Remake, I'll still pick up Rebirth because I'm along for the dumb ride.

Still waiting on that 16 pc port. I've successfully stayed in the dark on everything, including the general reception of it. Sometimes it creeps into other threads and I'm getting the feeling it's… divisive? Lol we'll see.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Onion Games's Stray Children gets localized some time in 2024. It's coming out in Japan first at the end of this year.

From that list, I'm most interested in Shiren. The trailer looked pretty good.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I swear i hear this every year lol. Jrpgs are one of fhe most prolific genres. There really hasnt been a year where you didnt get great games from it. Even the supposed "dark age" of the 7th gen (which really only affected consoles and even then you got some good games) you got some amazing rpgs on the DS and PSP

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats a lot of JRPGS. Like every year, Im sure some of them will be excellent, and some will be mid to bad too.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Man, I hadn't really considered it, but you're absolutely right. And as a JRPG fanboy at heart, I'm going to have to exercise self control, or else my wallet is going to be HURTING.

Day 1:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak
Persona 3 Reload

Discounted in the $30-40 range:
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Unicorn Overlord
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake

As soon as I have the time for games that don't allow pausing again:
Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail

Probably someday on a steep discount:
Suikoden I & II Remastered
Baten Kaitos PC Port

Dawntrail would probably be my #1 priority (maybe behind Rebirth), but man. I have discovered quickly that MMO dungeons / raids do not mesh well with a <1 year old (and probably not even beyond that lol), even if they are sleeping or something haha. Oh well, when I do return someday there will be loads of quality content waiting for me at least!

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
I got a concern that those titles could cannibalize each other releasing on same year, with some title will be on bargain bin list, does that concern baseless? or will it be the year where Japanese RPG reach new heights and expand their consumer base?
I am gonna be real: i don't think any of these games are likely to reach people who aren't already plugged into the genre. The only possible exceptions are FF7Rebirth (the only real AAA-ass game on the list, might attract new fans based on Shiny Next-Gen qualities), TTYD ("new" mario game, has a near-mythical reputation among nintendo fans), and like mayyyyyyyybe Metaphor or Persona 3 (may suck in some of the folks who got into Persona 5). I think the genre's too niche and far-removed from the games that get really popular these days, but I think that's probably fine.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I will definitely be playing Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth at launch. It's my favorite franchise.

I will play Persona 3 Reload and FFVII Rebirth at a later date.

Very excited to see more of Metaphor: ReFantazio. Persona 5 Royal has become one of my favorite games of all time. Possibly the most stylish game I've ever played and I'm always listening to songs like "Beneath the Mask". Metaphor has the same director, composer and character designer, so it will probably be another fantastic game. It looks so interesting.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
No xeno, no care

But seriously yeah it's looking good, jrpgs have been on a roll for the last few years imo

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Won't be playing everything, but FFVIIR, Metaphor, Dawntrail and SaGa is more than plenty enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
LaD 8! LaD 8! LaD 8!
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is too hype.
Day 1 on TTYD HD. We won't let Mario RPGs go away again.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I have LaD7, so I was hoping to finish that before I get to 8. And I'm waiting to find out how P3R handled the beach scene before I plop down the cash.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget about Ys X (maybe).

ys-ys-x.gif

Dec 23, 2017
When was Baten Kaitos remaster PC port announced?

Not officially announced yet but there's been separate listings for it.

www.gematsu.com

The Borderlands Compilation: Pandora’s Box, OrigiNation from Bandai Namco, and Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster for PC rated in South Africa [Update]

The Film and Publication Board of South Africa has published its classified films and games for April and May 2023, which reveals the unannounced The Borderlands Compilation: Pandora’s Box fr…

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I like how this thread is made every year, lol.

www.resetera.com

2023 is looking like a great year for RPGs, so how many are you buying and how screwed is your wallet?

2023 is shaping up to be a great year for RPG fans. Whether you like Japanese RPGs or Western ones, fantasy settings or sci-fi settings, turn based combat or action combat, it seems there is something for everybody to like. How many of these games do you plan to buy? June 22, 2023 TBA...
www.resetera.com

JRPG fans, we are eating in 2022!

As of right now we got: Triangle Strategy Atelier Sophie 2 Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Soul Hackers 2 Granblue Fantasy Re:Link (possibly), CHAOS: A Final Fantasy Story Forspoken Elden Ring Chrono Cross Remastered Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising Star Ocean 6 Live A Live and Japan gets Kuro No Kiseki 2 to...
www.resetera.com

2021 is suddenly looking to be an insane year for jRPG fans on Switch

SMT V, Rune Factory 5, Disgaea 6, Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Trails of Cold Steel IV, Ys IX, probably Bravely Default II at this point. It's not even 2021 yet and there's already a metric boatload of jRPGs hitting the platform. Switch sales in Japan are going to be actually...
www.resetera.com

2020's looking to be a pretty good year for JRPG's.

Just an observation but damn are there a lot of good looking JRPG's coming out next year. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, and there's probably something else I'm missing. I don't know it just feels great to be really excited...

(okay I couldn't find a 2023 thread specifically for JRPGs, but still)

matthews

Dec 25, 2017
Not 2024 but looking forward to Tactica next month. Will finally make use of my GP sub.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
LaD Infinite Wealth is shaping up to be my favourite game ever so that alone pushes next year to the top already for me.

The others are just cream on top

Apr 6, 2022
You said next 14 months so let's not forget Star Ocean 2 R has one of the best art styles I've seen in a long time. Demo was great can't wait to pick it up

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
SaGa, FFVII Rebirth, Like a Dragon and Unicorn Overload make this a stupidly exciting year for me, possibly one of the best for me in the genre. There's always the possibility of our ethereal FFT/FFIX remakes that could be announced at any time as well. If a Xenoblade game somehow magically manifested (it won't) it would straight up be over.

Looking at those threads listed above confirms it'll definitely be the best year for me in the last several years at least (and given how I felt about most JRPGs in the ps3 years I doubt I would find a better year there).

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
All I ask for is a Dragon Quest 3 release date and a proper trailer for Dragon Quest 12.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
infinite wealth
rebirth
shadow of the erdtree

yeah i'm gonna like 2024. i'm looking forward to more than those 3, but i could have only those 3 and look back fondly on the year.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
There will probably be a bunch of other stuff announced next year too

Example: Square enix has only 1 release confirmed next year with a date. Now look how many games they release a year recently. They've probably got a several more things for next year unannounced.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Yep looks fantastic. And also at least one of the FFXVI dlc, probably even both.

Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for the yearly "next year is the year of jrpgs" thread. (fingers crossed for something DQ)

I like how this thread is made every year, lol.

www.resetera.com

2023 is looking like a great year for RPGs, so how many are you buying and how screwed is your wallet?

2023 is shaping up to be a great year for RPG fans. Whether you like Japanese RPGs or Western ones, fantasy settings or sci-fi settings, turn based combat or action combat, it seems there is something for everybody to like. How many of these games do you plan to buy? June 22, 2023 TBA...
www.resetera.com

JRPG fans, we are eating in 2022!

As of right now we got: Triangle Strategy Atelier Sophie 2 Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Soul Hackers 2 Granblue Fantasy Re:Link (possibly), CHAOS: A Final Fantasy Story Forspoken Elden Ring Chrono Cross Remastered Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising Star Ocean 6 Live A Live and Japan gets Kuro No Kiseki 2 to...
www.resetera.com

2021 is suddenly looking to be an insane year for jRPG fans on Switch

SMT V, Rune Factory 5, Disgaea 6, Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Trails of Cold Steel IV, Ys IX, probably Bravely Default II at this point. It's not even 2021 yet and there's already a metric boatload of jRPGs hitting the platform. Switch sales in Japan are going to be actually...
www.resetera.com

2020's looking to be a pretty good year for JRPG's.

Just an observation but damn are there a lot of good looking JRPG's coming out next year. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, and there's probably something else I'm missing. I don't know it just feels great to be really excited...

(okay I couldn't find a 2023 thread specifically for JRPGs, but still)

It was basically a yearly tradition on gaf as well. The earliest I found after looking now was "2008: the year of the RPG" lol

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I argued that it was supposed to be this year too but with some delays, its stretching to next year so I concede that we are in a JRPG renaissance era instead. So many great games in the genre of very different flavors and scales. You love to see it.

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Control F : Dragon Force Remaster... sigh....

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is looking amazing.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I wish I could play the Trails games, but man, 14 games and you have to play every single one to follow the story. It's just not feasible for me when there's so much else to play.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could play the Trails games, but man, 14 games and you have to play every single one to follow the story. It's just not feasible for me when there's so much else to play.

This isn't true, don't listen to people who say this. You can jump in and understand Trails through Daybreak no problem. I urge you to give Daybreak a try.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It sure is, though Metaphor & P3 Reload are all I care about day one to see if they're good (latter is on Game Pass too btw). Hopefully Granblue & Suikoden also turn out well.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
1, 2, 7, 9, and 12 for me... and I'm guessing I'll finish none of them before year's end. Maybe Suikoden because it's short. LOL

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
It's insane. February is overpowered giving us Reload and Rebirth the same month. Then Metaphor, Unicorn, and the Suikoden rereleases kill it.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Compile Heart announces seven new titles – Madou Monogatari 4, Touhou Spell Carnival, and more [Update 2]

Compile Heart has announced its transition to a new management structure as of October 1, with Naoto Tominaga serving as president and Hikaru Yasui as director, as well as announced seven new title…

Didn't wanna make a thread about it because it's Compile Heart (lol), but there's a new Madou Monogatari (The series Puyo Puyo came from) coming out next year.
...wtf?

I have conflicted feelings about this.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Really hyped for Rebirth, Eiyuden, Metaphor and LaD 8. They alone are probably enough to put 2024 above 23 already.

It's actually just 10 before Daybreak : p

But Daybreak works well as a starting point imo. It's the best starting point since the actual first Trails, no doubt.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
It's fucking glorious!!! But also terrifying as I'll probably won't be playing some of those games until like 2026!!!😅

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Baten Kaitos is coming to PC? I don't care about Eternal Wings, but I would buy both to get my hands on Origins for my Steam collection.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Granblue, Persona 3 and FF7 Rebirth in the same month is insane. And LAD8 at the end of January........ it's too much. But like in a fun way I guess
www.gematsu.com

Compile Heart announces seven new titles – Madou Monogatari 4, Touhou Spell Carnival, and more [Update 2]

Compile Heart has announced its transition to a new management structure as of October 1, with Naoto Tominaga serving as president and Hikaru Yasui as director, as well as announced seven new title…

Didn't wanna make a thread about it because it's Compile Heart (lol), but there's a new Madou Monogatari (The series Puyo Puyo came from) coming out next year.
oh hell yeah I'm so ready for more Neptunia Victory reskins