• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
One of my finest memories was playing this with my cousins when it came out... the game that made me fall in love with Bend Studio <3

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
My prince. Let me tell you why this game, and more realistically Syphon Filter 2, was the bomb:

1. "Open" level design before it became cool. Levels would take the hub and spoke approach and they got a lot of use out of very limited capabilities from a technological perspective. And the levels had a ton of verticality. How about the bridge level in SF2?

2. Designed around the limitations of the PS1. Everything from the controls to the gunplay took into consideration the hardware available. It was cool.

3. The ambiance. The whole series has this super cool spy thriller feel to it.

4. The stories were actually cool, linking with #3.

5. Gabe Logan's running animation. Enough said.

6. The taser.

7. This game had a spot in the cultural zeitgeist at the time. Those commercials. The taser. The whole attitude of the whole thing. It was just so cool.

It's a shame Sony/Bend won't go back to it. The games had a lot more personality than Generic Open World Game Biker Dude 2k21.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
I loved these games, I own every single one even the terrible PSP ones lol. I got cable internet mainly to play Syphon Filter Omega Strain on PS2 online. I would love a franchise reboot!

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Tasering people till they started on fire was fun. This was a good series that would make a nice comeback.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xq9Xqca.gif

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Syphon Filter is still a great game. The controls take getting used to, but they work pretty well. 1 and 2 are some of the most challenging and rewarding games I've played. Syphon Filter also had some great music, too! The series was a part of my childhood.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite serie on PS1, the trilogy is excellent and I'd love to see a new one.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Best game of PS1.

Just too much memories with it, and also playing the MP in SP2 or 3.

Gabe Logan is the MVP.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I tried that game a few years back but it felt too dated at that point. Managed to finish the first of the PSP games and thought it was OK but it didn't really feel like the series had a strong hook or identity, although that's only based on that one game. The main character and the rest of the cast were pretty bland too.

It really surprised me how much I enjoyed Days Gone since Bend never really grabbed me with Syphon Filter, Resistance: Retribution and Golden Abyss. Would be interesting to see Bend make a reboot of Syphon Filter now that they're in the big leagues and not as limited by the hardware.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
These games are so good, the level on SF2 where you need to escape the hospital avoiding enemies is so good!

Trilogy? The PSP games were even better than the PS1 ones. Let's not talk about the PS2 game though.
Yeah I only played the PS1 trilogy, I should try the PSP ones though... >x>

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
SF1 and SF2 were massive parts of my childhood, I didn't really like SF3 though. Something about it being an anthology story put me off.

Which one had the train mission again? That's one my favourite levels that remained unsurpassed until Uncharted 2.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
I can't remember playing the PS1 original, but I was blown away by the PSP games - Dark Mirror especially. I felt it legitimately showcased "tactical espionage action" better than the Metal Gear Solid games back then.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This was my Goldeneye substitude on Playstation after I sold my N64. The game came pretty much out of nowhere and I loved it.

They should make another one. We've got plenty open world games but zero linear ultra brutal special agent third person shooters.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a part of me that hopes this is actually what bluepoint are re-imaging for PS5. A chance to reboot the franchise and bring it back into the limelight.

We really don't need a re-imaging of demon's souls imo. Its not that old and machanically plays identically to what dark souls continued to be anyway. It's pretty much the definition of a pointless.

Syphon Filter however has a lot of room to be modernised, expanded upon and altered which is what bluepoint are claiming they're doing with their new title. And it could re-launch the franchise for a new generation in a time when spy/stealth action games are for all intents and purposes...dead.

Oct 24, 2019
We need a remake collection, PRONTO.

Also give me Ape Escape, Siren, God of War, Sly Cooper, Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, and Jak & Daxter remakes too

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Syphon Filter and Silent Hill released within a week of each other. Great couple weeks to be a PS1 owner right there.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite seires on playstation 1

Dude i wish sony would at least give it a remaster

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
One of my favourite ps game. I still remember the running animation and the taser lol

Hope they would remake it somehow :x

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My prince. Let me tell you why this game, and more realistically Syphon Filter 2, was the bomb:

1. "Open" level design before it became cool. Levels would take the hub and spoke approach and they got a lot of use out of very limited capabilities from a technological perspective. And the levels had a ton of verticality. How about the bridge level in SF2?
This game also did X-ray/ Arkham Vision before it was cool.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Played the demo disc level countless times with my brother and we couldn't believe there'd be a whole game coming soon. I remember buying it so vividly because our great grandma passed away back then and we inherited some money from her. It dropped on our accounts the same day Syphon Filter 1 was released over here. Otherwise I would have been broke but I managed to buy it, thanks to her<3