• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Amazing how people can respond with stuff like "fuck around and find out".

Blame her surroundings, blame Trump, blame social media companies, not the individual.
Even if you do think it's really her fault, she's dead. Having stupid beliefs shouldn't cost your life.

I didn't want to come in here and be mean either

then i saw that she spread misinformation. All while touting the RN, BSN titles in her profile.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I work in a lab, in a hospital that just announced you have to be fully vaccinated by Sept or you will be terminated. I was like oh that's awesome. Nurses and other staff are saying they are planning on getting pregnant to get out of it. I do not get it at all and it is beyond frustrating.

That'll be a sweet story to tell the kids when they grow up.

Jan 29, 2018
It sucks that she died, but it's infuriating that the actual article doesn't mention how anti-vax she was considering how easily Twitter figured it out.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Blame her surroundings, blame Trump, blame social media companies, not the individual.
Even if you do think it's really her fault, she's dead. Having stupid beliefs shouldn't cost your life.

She's a fully grown human being and with high education at that. Yes fuck trump and social media. But she also has the responsibility of using her head and her common sense more so if she was a nurse.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when you turn personal (and public) safety into a political position

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
A terrible and stupid way to die. It's incredibly sad how many people get caught up in obvious misinformation and end up harming themselves and others.

I don't get it. How was she tweeting about the vaccine in July 2020?

Consevatives this time last year were already in full paranoia about even hypothetical covid vaccines. This goes all the way back to them declaring the pandemic "fake" because it was making Trump look worse than usual. Bill Gates was going to use the vaccine to implant a 5G microchip in your arm, etc. It was very stupid, but these conspiracies were very much already circulating in summer 2020.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
How can someone with that much education be so fucking stupid? This is beyond sad.

I used to work tech support/customer service for a medical publisher. You would be surprised at how dumb some of these nurses were. There were something that I heard that make you lose faith in the medical professions. There were other things that at first sound bad but then you kind of just accept.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only people I feel sympathy for are those who bought into the bullshit she was spreading because they assuming she knew more than them, on account of her being a nurse.

As many others have said here, it is ASTOUNDING how many nurses out there spreading antivax and ant-science bullshit.

TRV

Nov 27, 2020
The Netherlands
At what point does personal responsibility become a thing?
But that's the thing with people spreading false information like this, right? They reallly think they are taking their personal responsibility. By "informing" others. They're wrong of course, but in my opinion, that's more an intelligence thing (something you don't have agency on) combined with things like social media companies not taking their responsibility, being surrounded by people with similar beliefs etc.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017

stop treating an adult like a child. people in life have to live by the decisions they make and suffer the consequences when they make the wrong ones. blaming everybody but the individual is really dumb and gives too many awful people an out when they commit awful things.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is less a political issue than the fact nursing attracts a specific demographic that seems to be really into quackery wholistic medicine, naturopathy etc. One redditor explained it was a rebellion against doctors bossing nurses around but I tend to think it's the type of people who take on the profession.

There are similar issues with nurses objecting to mandatory vaccinations in Canada
I think it's easy to over-generalize there - all the nurses I work with day to day got their vaccines as soon as it was possible and are strong proponents of the vaccine to patients. Era has quite a few RNs so would be good to hear from them. But I definitely have seen what you're describing - surprisingly inaccurate or unfounded statements coming from otherwise good nurses about naturopathy, chiropractic etc.

Oct 26, 2017
A girl I grew up with is a pediatric nurse and she's been spouting the same conspiracy garbage about the vaccine rewriting your DNA, and refuses to get it, or wear a mask. For whatever reason this seems to be a pretty common thing among nurses.

also anecdotal but it's weird how some of the most vocal anti vaxxers and COVID deniers I've encountered work in the medical field.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
It baffles me there are antivax nurses. It doesn't make sense to me.

It's an extreme educational failure. She tweeted "This vaccine has been released using recombinant DNA faster than any vaccine in the world. It manipulates your DNA at the tiniest molecular level. Do. Not. Get. It. It's not safe." which is obviously not even close to how it actually works. This tells me she's ignorant of the differences between RNA and DNA, which is an educational failure. The other side of the coin is it's pretty clear she lacked the critical thinking necessary to do her own research (and/or be able to discern proper sources from snake oil), which is ALSO an educational failure and a deeper rooted, more fundamental one at that.

The US education system needs to spend less time forcing rote memorization of facts and far more time helping kids with the ability to discern fact from fiction. It's absolutely necessary in our Fox News world.

My heart goes out to her family for this easily preventable death.

Oct 29, 2017
This is less a political issue than the fact nursing attracts a specific demographic that seems to be really into quackery wholistic medicine, naturopathy etc. One redditor explained it was a rebellion against doctors bossing nurses around but I tend to think it's the type of people who take on the profession.

There are similar issues with nurses objecting to mandatory vaccinations in Canada

Agreed. There's something wrong with the nursing profession that tends to attract a high amount of these kinds of people and I think it really needs an overhaul.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
All the tweets in question are from mid 2020, a year before her death - was she still spouting anti-vax nonsense in the months leading up to her death? Are we certain she wasn't vaccinated now? Article doesn't seem to suggest either way.
Yeah, her Twitter is shut down, I'm curious about the same. It's almost like people plucked certain Tweets to fit their narrative. I doubt someone with almost 10k Tweets suddenly didn't Tweet for a year. It looks as though she posted the antivax Tweets before she was even remotely eligible to get them.

Her death was certainly preventable, and it was definitely on her. But people actively celebrating it or cheering it are pretty screwed up.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The other aspect to this is how a lot of healthy young people looked at the statistics and decided that COVID was someone else's problem. We all saw the partying and the lack of masks during the pandemic, and we also see it in the current vaccination rates. But if you're working with vulnerable people and you actually care about their health then you should want to protect them by vaccinating.

This pandemic has shown us who a lot of people really are. It's hard to see society in the same way after this.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The stupidest of prizes.

Other half is a nurse, and plenty of people with that mindset over there too. It's crazy.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm not celebrating it but I'm not gonna waste a single second feeing bad for someone who died because they chose not to get the vaccine and tried to stop others from getting it.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
it's fucking weird to me that you can come out of nursing school without even a cursory/wikipedia understanding of what DNA is.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently her dad is hospitalized with it as well.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Can't the hospital just be like 'when you return to work you have to get vaccinated or you're not coming back'?
No it's like a medical exemption. You could refuse the flu vaccine for religious reasons, it's like they are doing that, but obviously they have no plans of actually getting pregnant.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

In other words never be held responsible for anything because your surroundings made you do it. Yeah that's not sage advice.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
She ain't going to need the 5g where she is going.

Jokes aside, here is the reason for vaccination.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe it has to do with ego. These people strictly follow an ideology constructed by their political leaders, and they can't possibly be wrong. Even if deep inside they're not against vaccines because they have the knowledge to know they're a good thing (like actual doctors who are also against the vaccine, of which there are plenty), they will never admit or get vaccinated, because they can't back down now. There's an entire political agenda behind denying the pandemic and the necessary measures to end it, and just like the people who still believe Trump will send Biden to jail any day now, some people will never admit they were wrong.

I read a comment online that summed it up best: Vaccination at this point has become a cultural identifier. If you're vaccinated you're a liberal; if you're not, you're a conservative. For conservatives who wrap their status to their politics, no matter what evidence you present it won't matter because getting vaccinated means going against their tribe.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Thats pretty hard. Was she in good health ? Seems pretty hard to die from it at 23.
I dont get anti vax people. Had a short discussion with someone who said "he thinks its poison and we will get other diseases from it", I was shocked at this view.

Oct 25, 2017
And guaranteed no one in her fucking antivax family or friends learned a fucking thing. Probably doubling down on not getting vaccinated and never will, cementing that her death will be in vain. Dumb fucking backward ass morons.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

Growing up in a deep red county with an entire family of Trumpkins ain't make me an antivaxxer. Stop coddling white folks.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thats pretty hard. Was she in good health ? Seems pretty hard to die from it at 23.
I dont get anti vax people. Had a short discussion with someone who said "he thinks its poison and we will get other diseases from it", I was shocked at this view.
From what I can tell, as it mutates into new variants it's starting to get more deadly for younger people.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The only people I feel sympathy for are those who bought into the bullshit she was spreading because they assuming she knew more than them, on account of her being a nurse.

As many others have said here, it is ASTOUNDING how many nurses out there spreading antivax and ant-science bullshit.

pre-nursing requirements need to be stricter and the nursing board needs to terminate the licenses of nurses that are reported to publicize anti-medicine misinformation while bearing licensed credentials by the state, although that's not really reasonable to expect to be enforced more considering republicans exist and there's a nursing shortage because the "greatest generation ever" got old and the rest of us all have heart disease and diabetes and obesity.

My take as a scientist: if nursing requirements could be stricter to standardize some science education on this, I would throw in a 3 credit hour requirement for licensure of epidemiology or public health upper-level undergraduate course, where they learn and prove understanding about the history of public health advances/vaccines, basic graphs/interpreting of epidemiological concepts, and a nurse's role in public health and vaccine deployment.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
An entirely preventable death, but also not one I find myself lamenting. I'm not going to say she deserved to die but... I'm also not going to say the medical field isn't better off in her absence.

And no, I don't buy that she's an entirely an innocent victim of misinformation. So many of these people are willfully shitheads, and I'm sure if it wasn't this, plenty of them would be out there being stubborn idiots over something else. They thrive on being adversarial. Considering how many resources she had available to her, no, she had plenty of opportunity.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It's possible to be sad while at the same time recognizing that she is responsible for what happened to her. The two are not mutually exclusive. She was a 23 year-old nurse and was clearly held in high-regard by her coworkers, friends, and family. However, despite her level of education, she still fell victim to not only believing misinformation but actively spreading it. The vaccine works. It's proven. >99.5% of COVID deaths are unvaccinated people. So, unfortunately, her own decision is likely what led to her death.

This is not the first story of its type nor will it be the last.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not celebrating it but I'm not gonna waste a single second feeing bad for someone who died because they chose not to get the vaccine and tried to stop others from getting it.
Yup, this is my take as well. You chose misinformation over actual research as an adult, then tried to actively spread said information. No sympathies for what you got.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well.

I don't have any sympathy for these people anymore. I've been genuinely dismayed by how stupid people have been with this.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

on the one hand we recognise how dangerous misinformation is and how vital it is for platforms to clamp down on it

one the other hand, anyone who falls for it is an "idiot" or a "monster" who is completely in control of what they're susceptible to / exposed to

I mean, if the latter was true, then the former wouldn't be such a pressing issue

that's not to remove all personal agency, but as I said earlier, some of this shit is really cleverly produced and is designed to mislead/trick people

frankly, I just find it all very sad