• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Capitalism is looking real hot lately

23andMe Inc., the Silicon Valley firm known for its ancestry DNA tests, has licensed an antibody it developed to treat inflammatory diseases to Spanish drugmaker Almirall SA.
The deal, announced by Almirall in a filing with Spanish regulators on Thursday, marks the first time that 23andMe has licensed a drug compound that it has developed itself.

"This is a seminal moment for 23andMe," said Emily Drabant Conley, vice president of business development. "We've now gone from database to discovery to developing a drug."

Leveraging its genetic data to develop drugs has become an increasingly important part of 23andMe's business. More than 10 million customers have taken its DNA tests, and that trove of data can help illuminate new drug targets to treat disease.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking shock. I trust absolutely none of these SEND US YOUR DNA companies.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah that's capitalism for you, it's not about what you get it's about how much money they make off you in various ways.

You know, exploitative.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't fully understand here.
Data was used anonymously I'm guess and for those who opt in?

Can someone clarify the exploitative aspect?

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did people think they weren't gonna do this? A business isn't gonna survive off ancestry

people have no problem with this though. It was all worth it to say they're 1% black and can now say the n word

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
between this, ring, and voice assistants people are paying for the privilege to sell themselves

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Until it's challenged in court, which I would hope a judge would see how insane it is that you can so easily lose control of your most fundamental data.

I'm not sure what the grounds would be. You still have access to and use of your DNA. Don't turn over information you don't want to be sold to a third party. I haven't done a dna test (except to see if I had Klinefelter syndrome (I don't), but that was done through a hospital, for a reason).

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully understand here.
Data was used anonymously I'm guess and for those who opt in?

Can someone clarify the exploitative aspect?

You are usually paid to take parts in studies and clinical trials. Basically they would have paid people to take DNA samples for their research. Here you literally pay for a more often than not inaccurate ancestry reading of your DNA then they use your sample for studies and research.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
There's no way the agreement doesn't say they can use your DNA for this, right? It's gotta be in the fine print, they can't be that dumb.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correlation does not equal causation of (return) payment.

Man, this is messed up. People are paying to sell their own value lol.
Sounds like personal data regulations are needed fast.
(and local systems - for assistance / education around potential uses of data, and how to secure it - via crypto)

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did mine, fully expecting this stuff. I don't particularly care what they use it for after I get my results back. Like, my girlfriend uses baby dick parts and injects shit into live animals to develop medicine that is then sold for profit. Science is messy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But hey, at least you learned you were 7% Dutch.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, using the anonymized DNA result data is part of the deal. It's subsidizing the testing and other stuff.

Like, had I taken one of their tests a decade back, I would have caught a genetic disease way earlier than we did because the gene test for it just wasn't available when I was a kid and so no one ever thought to check for it once they thought I was cleared of it as a preschooler. I'm totally cool with them being able to provide this to people at a loss in order to use the bulk data to make a profit because I see it as a win/win. People get cheaper gene tests, new stuff gets developed as a result of the database.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I really don't understand why people use these services. Like it's fine that they do, but I don't get the appeal at all.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, using the anonymized DNA result data is part of the deal. It's subsidizing the testing and other stuff.

Like, had I taken one of their tests a decade back, I would have caught a genetic disease way earlier than we did because the gene test for it just wasn't available when I was a kid and so no one ever thought to check for it once they thought I was cleared of it as a preschooler. I'm totally cool with them being able to provide this to people at a loss in order to use the bulk data to make a profit because I see it as a win/win. People get cheaper gene tests, new stuff gets developed as a result of the database.
What makes you think the tests are a loss? Their founder was on Shark Tank and said she priced them so they could make money, including when the company first started and was charging $1000 per test.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they sold peoples personalized data, they used anonymized data people willingly gave to them to develop a new treatment for something.
Is...is it a bad thing to develop new treatments for shit? Should they not put to use the data people have willingly given them to come up with ways to help people? It seems like a good use of resources to me. If you don't want people to have your data don't literally pay them to take it from you.
There are bigger fish to fry, like regulating the entire medical industry so that shit that gets developed is affordable for people. But one company using legally obtained data in order to create a treatment... they're not my target and I'm failing to feel mad about it. You should know that when you're giving your data to someone that they'll ...have your data.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But hey, at least you learned you were 7% Dutch.

I too am shocked that they have used people's DNA for nefarious reasons. How could anybody have seen this coming?!

If you're stupid enough to give your DNA to a company you deserve to have them do whatever they please with it. Jesus Christ people.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Would you give your blood tests/medical records to your employer?

Well you're doing that but to a random company when you hand them your genetic data.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like they sold peoples personalized data, they used anonymized data people willingly gave to them to develop a new treatment for something.
Is...is it a bad thing to develop new treatments for shit? Should they not put to use the data people have willingly given them to come up with ways to help people? It seems like a good use of resources to me. If you don't want people to have your data don't literally pay them to take it from you.
There are bigger fish to fry, like regulating the entire medical industry so that shit that gets developed is affordable for people. But one company using legally obtained data in order to create a treatment... they're not my target and I'm failing to feel mad about it. You should know that when you're giving your data to someone that they'll ...have your data.
They aren't doing this so it can cost $1 a dose...

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You are usually paid to take parts in studies and clinical trials. Basically they would have paid people to take DNA samples for their research. Here you literally pay for a more often than not inaccurate ancestry reading of your DNA then they use your sample for studies and research.

So they used consensually received data to make a drug? I'm extremely against corporate exploitation but I'm not quite getting the outrage here.

As someone who used them, I knew that they would be using my data. Dunno.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to its privacy policies, Ancestry.com takes ownership of your DNA forever.

Sounds like the beginning of a cyberpunk plot...

Seriously though, many services are free to use. People cannot be expected to know all of the consequences/externalities of their decisions, so some kind of barrier is needed sometimes, to avoid chaos (i.e. education, personal systems).

Complaining is fine. Protecting is best. This is a government failure, tbh.
Software-as-a-service would always lead to crazy stuff like this happening, especially if the service is 'free'.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering this too. Isnt the end result helping people? Am i missing something?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Never mind, I guess they're upfront that they will use your DNA in other ways

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It's cool that companies like this are able to develop drugs we would have no way of doing otherwise. A little less so that it's owned by a capitalist, but that's the price we currently pay in our society.

edit: I can't believe anyone actually thinks this is nefarious. Oh no! Better medications are on the market! The horror!!!!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Seems like some pearl clutching going on in here. They developed new medicines to help people and stay profitable based on DNA and gene testing. They didn't release anyone's personal health information.

So what they made money off the medicine patents? I worry about you guys sometimes

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017

The question is: do you own your DNA? If you think you do then you should be compensated for the profits generated from your "blood". There is a long history of the medical community & Pharma taking advantage of medical consent. Particularly venerable populations. We just sign those forms not knowing what's going to happen to our medical information.

I recommend the book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which goes into these issues.