• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, Nathan from Capy here!

Just a quick note re: darkness. The first thing you do when you start the game is set your Gamma. As long as you set it to a point you're happy with, you should be able to see what you need to see. The game is meant to be very dark, as your lantern (or worst-case, a torch) is central to your exploration. If you don't like dark games, that's totally ok, just be aware that this is A Dark Game™.

In case people missed the thread of yesterday with a impression.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/eu...d-it-looks-like-itll-be-worth-the-wait.34183/

Last edited:

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe we might actually get to play this game "soon".

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the vid. Was initially interested when it was first announced

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Every now and then I remember this game exists.

I still want to play it... but man, how many times has this thing been scrapped and fully redone?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As this is a Microsoft published game, will it come day 1 to Game Pass?

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about this game recently, and how much I was looking forward to it. I thought for sure it was vaporware. I'm so glad that it's still coming! Can't wait to play it, will be there day one.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't scrapped, development was put on hold because the developer went to finish a contracted game for Cartoon Network.

Nope. Posted by the dev (who is also on here) a year ago on the other forum

Hey all,

Quick notes:

Yes, we're still in full production on the game. We've never stopped. It isn't cancelled.
When we delayed again, we decided to do what we felt was the right thing, and stop promoting the game until we have a concrete release date that we can share. No more expected dates, just one release date.
Our game collab with Cartoon Network has no impact on Below. We've always had 2 full teams at Capy. There's 24 people here, split between the two.

Despite all this, we totally understand that people have lost confidence in the game coming out. It's been a long-ass time and a bunch of delays. But from our POV, we gotta do what we gotta do to make sure we're making something we're happy with. And trust me, no one wants to get this game out more than us

We hope that when we announce the release date, or when it releases, or at some other point after that, you'll give the game a shot.

If anyone has questions, I'm around.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I love Capy and it looks beautiful. On the other hand, doesn't seem to be.....for me?

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Seems very dark. I get what they are trying to do, but I kept wanting it to light up so I could see more of the screen.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Nice art design and everything but is this procedurally generated? Also worried that it will be a little repetitive..

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for reviews on this one. Doesn't seem like a game that shows off well in a video like this.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If the video is accurate the game is too dark now. It'll be difficult to see correctly with my laser corrected eyes and cause discomfort so I might have to pass. Hoping it's just the capture but we'll see.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That looks very pretty, but it looks a lot less appealing than when I first saw it. It seemed a lot more simple and dare I say 'easy'. I was kind of hoping for a very nice looking, atmospheric, but relaxing experience. That video looks kind of painful to me.

I don't know what it is with 2D games, I would love to play this, and Cuphead, and Ori, and Celeste, but I'm just a pussy. In 3D I never mind, the Souls games, the Ninja Gaiden games, etc, all totally fine, but I uniformly suck at 2D games.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That looks very pretty, but it looks a lot less appealing than when I first saw it. It seemed a lot more simple and dare I say 'easy'. I was kind of hoping for a very nice looking, atmospheric, but relaxing experience. That video looks kind of painful to me.

I don't know what it is with 2D games, I would love to play this, and Cuphead, and Ori, and Celeste, but I'm just a pussy. In 3D I never mind, the Souls games, the Ninja Gaiden games, etc, all totally fine, but I uniformly suck at 2D games.

Check the impression. Looks like its gonna be pretty "hard"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/eu...d-it-looks-like-itll-be-worth-the-wait.34183/

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wow it looks completely different since we last saw it.
Seems like its a survival-type game now? Looks interesting.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested in this back when it was revealed, but seeing this gameplay...I dunno.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Never played a 'rougelike'...

"Death is permanent in Below, but upon it you respawn. For me, that respawn was at the beginning, arriving on the island on a boat again, and, I have to confess, I was a little soul-destroyed because I felt 20 minutes of play had gone to waste. My lantern missing, I sprinted back to catch up with my progress. Inside and below, things were different. Walls had shifted, rocks had reshaped, and water pools were elsewhere. Below re-imagines itself after the player dies, but your corpse, which holds your items including the lantern, is in the same sort of area. After some exploration I found myself, and soldiered on."

That sounds pretty brutal. People say you lose progress in the Souls games when you die, but you don't. Everything stays as it was, you know where enemies are, you know which rooms you've already looted, so can skip, and any shortcuts you've made stay in place. This is on the other hand? Damn.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Looks very vibe-y but I'm a bit concerned about playing a whole game at that birds-eye view. Was hoping the re-reveal would feature a closer camera.

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so dark I turned my phone brightness all the way up and still couldn't tell what was going on.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good showing. The game is terribly (annoyingly) dark, and with the camera so far out, it really just seems like more of a pain in the ass than anything to navigate. Superbrothers Sword & Sorcery was awesome so I'll keep an open mind, but this doesn't look especially interesting. And whether I want to or not, I can't help but a little more critical than usual given the 5+ year development time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Watched it on my actual TV rather than my laptop and it looks great.
Has it always been this 3D?

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The atmosphere is astounding. And it sounds like the BGM builds the deeper you get into the game.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very disappointed in how little has changed. Is there anything compelling about that 25 minutes of footage in which almost nothing happens? The combat seems very basic, the crafting seems like busywork to keep food/drink/health bars up, and there's absolutely no direction to give you a reason to keep moving forward. I'm actually baffled what their design goal is here.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
They've completely changed the aesthetic, huh. Now it's too dark to see anything, and what gameplay there is is very slow. Can't say I'm interested anymore personally.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They've completely changed the aesthetic, huh.

nope.

3023123-below_gdc_04.png