Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
These are the only ones I've invested enough time in to be able to judge.

Stardew Valley
Celeste
Super Mario odyssey
Rdr2
Overwatch

I don't think are gotg material, especially super Mario, but especially rdr2

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Haven't personally played it, but I feel like Animal Crossing probably deserves much sharper criticism for the one island per system approach and all the nonsense it entails.

Out of the games I've actually played though, I feel like they're all warranted. I guess the one main caveat would be that if Persona 5's a 94, where the hell is the superior Dragon Quest XI?! Also I didn't get far enough in Celeste or Bloodborne to have a strong opinion, but they're clearly quite good.

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
The Last of Us Part II and Uncharted 4 aren´t "above 90" games at all.

Don´t quote me, and I mean it. You guys become superharassing with people criticising Naughty Dog.
I'm quoting you but because I completely agree!
TLOU2, Ucharted 4, GOW, Overwatch and RDR2 I would leave off. All overrated

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Odyssey imo. Game has a solid foundation but that's it. Bloated as hell with most levels having extremely poor level design and objectives to achieve.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Well 90 is the new 70 so I guess they all belong?

I think they are all great games and I think there are plenty more games that belong in the same company as those games but because I guess numbers mean something they aren't.Too many fantastic video games are shunned or trashed for not being a "90" and it's kind of a shame.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Mario Odyssey is a great game but I don't know how it got enough perfect reviews to hold a 97. It should be low 90's.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
pretty much all of those are great (that I've played). Would rate Hollow Knight at 80 max though

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can say ill of the ordering or of the missing titles (For some reason Factorio, hovering between #1 and #5 of steam's top rated games since release, isn't in there?), but nigh all of the titles deserve their spot

Undertale is such an incredible gem. Top10 placing in mainstream critic reviews gives me hope.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
MGSV beeing up there is a big misunderstanding, should have been low 80s, imo. The other games are fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Would rather just celebrate the ones that were especially awesome. Return of the Obra Dinn is one of the most engaging games I've ever played, so good

Oct 25, 2017
That I'd Take off:
Super Mario Odyssey - I'm not huge on 3D mario, but this ended up being something I enjoyed, but not top tier good
Breath of the WIld - Solid 7.5/10 game
God of War - Solid 8.5/10 game, close but not there
Resident Evil 2 - maybe if it didnt cut so much of the original
MGSV - A lot I loved about this game, but also a lot I didn't
Overwatch - no...just no

Games that can stay:
Persona 5 - easy 10/10
Uncharted 4 - would barely squeak in at 9/10
Half-Life Alyx - fucking easy 10/10
Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: definitely stays, great game
Bayonetta 2 - another 9/10 great game

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Games I've played that deserved the 90:
  • Persona 5 (pacing could have been tighter and I would like a better ending but still great)
  • The Last of Us Part 2 (great gameplay, great characters, not sure how I feel about the pacing, *still a 2-3 hours left to play I reckon*)
  • Celeste (platforming perfection, except some of the extra levels are a little bullshit regarding difficulty)
  • Bloodborne (best souls gameplay except for blood vials)
  • Hollow Knight (possibly my favorite Metroidvania of the last few years. A little too much backtracking, and the map system was annoying, but moment to moment gameplay was great)
  • Stardew Valley (Nice relaxing game with a lot of depth and content so that it doesn't get repetitive too soon)
  • Uncharted 4 (Best gameplay in the mainline series. Sure pacing could have been tighter. Great characters. I liked it didn't rely on barely interactive set pieces as much as previous Uncharteds)
Overrated:
  • Undertale (great writing that was trying mask the boring gameplay. Got so bored I dropped this after a few hours)
  • Inside (was nice but nothing here amazed me)
  • Rayman Legends (got bored of the platforming, just seemed simplistic)

Sep 14, 2018
It's not my place to decide. It's not any of our place to decide. That's how averages work. Notice how none of these games scored a perfect 100 based on reviews from everyone in the world? Some people are going to like games more and less than the average person. It seems silly to make a thread just to complain about games you don't like as much as other people do.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
instead of being negative, i'd like to point out this list of amazing indie games that have scored 90+ this gen:

Undertale - 94
Disco Elysium - 92
Celeste - 91
INSIDE - 91
Hollow Knight - 90
Return of the Obra Dinn - 90
Stardew Valley - 90

hollow knight is at least a 95

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Every single one deserved it in my opinion.

I didn't enjoy Bloodborne though but that's mostly because I didn't play it enough to git good, I'll give it another try if it gets a 60fps patch on PS5.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey - 97
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 96
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 96
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 94
The Last of Us Part II - 94
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 92
Forza Horizon 4 - 92
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 92
Bloodborne - 91
Overwatch - 91
INSIDE - 91
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 90
Return of the Obra Dinn - 90
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90

These are the 14 games I played from that list, with some being completed and some others being games I played for somewhere between 5 and 15 hours.

Of that list of 14, I feel these are the ones that showed me something new, made me feel something and also made an impact on my gaming Top 50 list:

- Bloodborne
- Return of the Obra Dinn
- INSIDE
- Overwatch
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

These are the games that I feel are still excellent, deserving of the 90+:

- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Forza Horizon 4
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

And these are ones that I either didn't play enough of or what I did play didn't convince me that they were above a 90. I'd say they're all at least 85+ games, though:

- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- The Last of Us Part II
- Super Mario Odyssey

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
They all belong because they were all reviewed by many people and determined to be this level of quality. I don't like some of these games as much as other people but clearly they are well liked as enough people to deserve to be here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I've removed all of the games I haven't played from end to end (yes, I'm aware that some games don't have a technical "end", you know what I mean).

Of those, I would say Uncharted 4, Overwatch, INSIDE, and Forza Horizon 3 don't fall into 90+ rating.

There are a few games on the list (RDR2 and Witcher 3 as examples) that didn't hold my interest for more than a few hours before I dropped them. Since this thread is questioning whether the aggregate scoring feels accurate, I can't really judge those games as I didn't see them through for a little more than just a prologue's amount of hours. Wouldn't be fair to judge the meta scoring of it.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Only played and finished TLOU P2, and it certainly doesn't deserve the score. One of the most disappointing sequels i ever played in terms of taking mechanics forward in a meaningful way and pushing the formula forward.

TLOU 1 was 8.5-9 for me, Part 2 is 7.5-8.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
I only really have an issue with MGSV scoring that high. One of the biggest disappointments for me personally this generation. It's a shame FF7 Remake isnt in the 90s, it's like perfect in my eyes.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Not a popular opinion on some of these, but having played every game on this list, there are 4 in particular I would remove:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 2
Bloodborne
INSIDE

I don't necessarily dislike all of these, but I would give each of them less than an 8 which to me is far enough off that I'd call these scores overrated.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the games on here that I've played (all of which I enjoyed), the only ones I would push back against being 9/10 or above are Uncharted 4, MGSV, and Animal Crossing, but I'd probably keep them somewhere around 8/10. I would of course have different specific scores I'd give to the rest on this list, but I would either score these 9/10 and above, or I would consider that rating appropriate (e.g. I personally soured on Mario: Odyssey somewhat, but I consider 9/10 to be a fair score for how well made the game is).

Based on assessments from people I trust and general reception, I'm OK with these games that I haven't played being in that 9/10+ group:

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
From the ones on that list that I've played:

Mario odissey (the most overrated for me by a wide margin)
Resident evil 2
Bloodborne
MGS V
Ori

All of them, however, 8+ games for sure, except for Bloodborne, i just can't get it

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
All those games look pretty deserving of their scores to me. Even the ones on that list I don't like I have to give respect because they're still well made games.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5, Witcher 2, RDR 2, Uncharted, Undertale super overrated. Celeste and Hollow Knight way too low!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV is the only one I've played that I'm surprised to find on this list.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Simply going with "I would personally score these a 9 or a 10:

Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, the Forza Horizons, INSIDE and Ori.

Everything else gets yeeted.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Out of what I played in the list Mario Odyssey is probably the only one not deserving of being above 90.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey imo. Game has a solid foundation but that's it. Bloated as hell with most levels having extremely poor level design and objectives to achieve.
My 4 year old is playing it, 100% by himself, he's at the city after the worm boss at the moment, the game is honestly a masterpiece, it's amazing to see someone so young being able to play an open world game.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Most of the games I played from that list lol. I guess my scores are rather harsh and different.

Witcher 3, Inside, Undertale, Dreams, MGSV, BOTW, Persona 5, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 2...

While Red dead 2, GOW, UC4 and Tlou 2 all belong in the 90+ club imho.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Played about 9 games from that list, feel like they all deserve to be up there. Didn't really enjoy the combat or movement in Witcher much but the story and it's characters were great. Oh and Gwent, had more fun playing that than I do some games.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think every one of those games are in the top tier of their own sub genre. You either have to make the argument that those sub genres are fundamentally flawed or they're just not for you. The numbers are arbitrary but the rankings (relative to games outside the list) are accurate.