Dever

Dec 25, 2019
MGSV is a weird beast because yeah the story is kind of bad and literally unfinished, but at the same time I have almost 400 hours played on Steam lol

So is that 10/10 or 6/10 who can say

OP
OP
MattEnth

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Games that I played that deserve 90+

Super Mario Odyssey - 97
Maybe it's not a 97, but I loved this game. The sense of joy, the amazing ending, the music, the worlds, and the ability to challenge yourself were all just phenomenal.

God of War - 95
I loved this game. Combat was at the perfect level of difficulty.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 92
Great set pieces. Decent combat. Great story and characters, and great ending to a phenomenal set of games.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 92
Can't make perfect more perfect.

Bloodborne - 91
The only Souls game I've ever had the will to get through.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90
Loved it (and the Blind Forest).

Stardew Valley - 90
I've loved this a lot, but weirdly on my iPad. It's the perfect Harvest Moon game.

Games that I played that don't deserve 90+

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 96
Not great combat, and I found the world to be pretty dry/bland. It has its moments, but for a game of this scope and length, I think you need more than moments.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 96
I just don't understand where the love of this game comes from. Other than the four beasts, I found the rest of the game to be boring and lame.

The Last of Us Part II - 94
The characters save this game, but I didn't enjoy TLOU 1 that much. The gameplay sucks. Unlikely TLOU1, there was just no visual variety. At least TLOU1 experienced every season, visited various cities, etc. I could not believe how much of this game was in Seattle. I also really didn't like the final chapter - felt tacked on imo.

Overwatch - 91
Just not that great. I think it won too many brownie points for its cinematics and characters. But a competitive FPS should be judged on its gameplay, and this one just lacked a lot in that department.

INSIDE - 91
Inside is almost a 90+ for me. It's a great indie game and a great puzzle platformer. I love Playdead and will buy their next game in a heartbeat. But I don't think there was enough here to elevate it to this tier.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019

Out of these, and excluding some re-releases, 3D World and Smash Wii U have 90s on opencritic.

opencritic.com

Super Mario 3D World Reviews

Super Mario 3D World is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 74 critics, with an overall average score of 93. It's ranked in the top 0% of games and recommended by 96% of critics.

opencritic.com

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Reviews

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 78 critics, with an overall average score of 92. It's ranked in the top 0% of games and recommended by 100% of critics.

Dec 1, 2017
Mario Odyssey definitely should not be there. It failed at one of the key goals that every video game should have, which is to provide a sense of accomplishment for completing tasks/objectives/actions. Very little in that game feels earned. Also, it has the worst collection of worlds of any Mario game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the ones I've played on the list, the only one I'd arguably put lower is Animal Crossing, but that's just because I can't stand the repetitive text, button mashing to do things, poor building tools, etc. It's still a solid 8-8.5 though because I enjoyed a lot of other things about it.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Out of the 21 I've played there.

For me it's Uncharted 4 and Rayman Legends. I REALLY liked MGSVs gameplay, so that's why it stays that high for me.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So I think Persona 5 getting such unanimous praise is the one I'd argue against.
Because there's a few things in that game that I think it downright offensive.
And I'm surprised that pretty much nobody who reviewed it criticised it for that.

Like how the the game's first scenario is that a girl is being forced into a sexual relationship with the school's gym teacher.
Who is holding her friend's position in a sports team over her head.

Then after that wraps up. Her new found friends tell her to nude model for some other kid they want to talk to.

The homophobic depictions of those gay men. It's straight up depicting them as predators.

Or how about how your school teacher works for a service where she's a maid that comes to "clean" your home.
And you can sleep with her. You're a teenager, wtf?

I stopped playing when later in the game, you're trying to get past some old politician in the game's dream world.
And one of the characters says "Hey girls, I found some bikinis, why don't you seduce him, to get what we need?

So 94 opencritic? Like nobody who reviewed it thought that was bad?
I think that's a failure in the reviewing the game.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Is there a strong affection for Uncharted 4?
So forgettable to me, felt like I've played the game 3 times before I got half way through how derivative of itself is and uninspired.

Well made, sure, but that's expected. It wasn't very exceptional.

This thread also reminds me I need to get Obra Din on Switch

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MGSV shouldn't be on the list. There's a few others too that I liked but don't think they are 90 plus games. But MGSV is the big one for me.

Oct 27, 2017
From those I played, those deserving are :

Super Mario Odyssey - 97
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 96
The Last of Us Part II - 94
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 92
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 92
Bloodborne - 91

And I would put most of those in the high 80s range :
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 96 (Great map, good story, but boring missions)
God of War - 95 (Gotta be honest - the camera made me puke, might be great, but it needs accessibility options)
Persona 5 - 94 (Too much dialogue, game is too long and repetitive for its own good)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 92 (Story was weird, gameplay is rather pedestrian)
Resident Evil 2 - 92 (Not better than the original, great graphics and good gameplay, but pretty forgettable)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 92 (Great gameplay, boring almost inexistant and rather non-sensical story)
Celeste - 91 (Repetitive, not that fun)
INSIDE - 91 (Great, but really short)
Rayman Legends - 91 (Also great, but not a 91 to me)
Hollow Knight - 90 (Great gameplay, boring story, shit maps)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 90 (Button-mashing, missing features, my girlfriend has 800 hours on it and I hate the game for it)

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
For a game that sits at 97 meta, Mario Odyssey came and went. It's hardly mentioned in best games of the gen threads and when it does it's probably at the bottom or in honorable mentions. Smaller Japanese games like Nier and Persona dominates over it in those discussions. The hype bump was strong with it.

Deleted member 40010

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 16, 2018
Finland
I've played only seven games on that list. I absolutely hated two of them, four of them were pretty good but maybe not 90+ and I do agree that Zelda BotW is really great.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

GoW was great for reinventing the franchise but don't think it ever touched up true greatness in regards to combat or story, plus recycling the giant boss like what, three-four times in the story?
Persona 5 started out strong and got progressively worse with each new Palace and overstayed its welcome by the end.
MGS V's second half was just pathetic but I blame this on the schism between Kojima and Konami.
Overwatch could have been it but Blizzard dropped the ball on support and focused on the eSports side of it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
From what I played, these seem right.

Are they the scores I'd give all these game? Probably not, but it's subjective, and if the overall is that high, that's cool.

Some examples of my thoughts for lower scores:
Mario Odyssey - I got burnt out and just stopped for a few months, easily an 85, just too repetitive in some of it.
Breath of the Wild - 0 drive to play it after I completed everything, I like a little replay, maybe it would have been a 90, but probably in the high 80s.
Stardew Valley - Not my cup of tea, I tried hard, I'd probably give it like a 45 personally for my tastes, it never scratched that Harvest Moon itch for me.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the only one I've personally played where it didn't feel like a 90+ game. Not like it's bad or anything. I just never saw anything special in it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So about 30 games over 90 in 7 years?

How does this compare to previous gen? Have reviewers gotten harsher.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
From what I've played they all seem about right. Maybe animal crossing is a little too high.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a damn good list of games. The ones I haven't played I've heard good things about. Well earned for all of them.

A better thread would be the 80-89 games that deserve to be in this group.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Inside seems like the biggest outlier there, but I've not played it so I can't personally speak of its quality.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying that odyssey doesn't deserve a 90+, but a 97 seems really weird to me. It's like the 3rd best 3D Mario.

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4.

I can understand every single other game on that list, even ones that didn't do it for me, but I just found Uncharted 4 to be so aggressively vanilla.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, didn't expect to see Obra Dinn on here - but it's a good surprise, that game is amazing.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
INSIDE
Hollow Knight
Dreams

I could easily take all of those off the list.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
The six I've played

Divinity OS2
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Disco Elysium
Witcher 3
Sekiro
Obra Dinn

definitely deserve it. All are awesome, no complaints

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
That sure looks like a list of 30 good video games.
Instead of 'wow there were a lot of good games this gen', why does the reaction have to be 'well obviously SOME of them don't deserve it'?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I've played 15 out of those and, for my personal grading, 13 deserve to be there. Also, isn't Persona 5 above 90 ?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of the ones I've played only Inside, Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley. Just not my sort of games.

It's been a pretty incredible generation for me and there's still six or seven big games to come out this year.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Persona 5 was my first persona game, It's a good game, but i don't think it's a 94 good game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm not so presumptious as to think my opinion is more valid than the collective aggregate of people that professionally review games.

But if it was, I'd say Persona 5's score is not congruent with its multitude of critical flaws.