• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
14. Tales from the Hood 2
MV5BMzg3MTg4YTUtZTllZi00M2ViLTg1YTAtYzM0M2EzZWQ0MzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc3NDEwMA@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Oh..oh no...

That intro was pretty awful. I know the first movie's CGI wasn't good either but damn, could've put some effort into it. The first movie was at least somewhat grounded in how it handled its framing device as well as the setups to its stories before the supernatural element kicked in. The characters were all written pretty realistically (except for the funeral director for obvious reasons) and as out there as the stories could get, they took their subject-matter seriously. Here, all the characters are over the top as hell (and usually pretty stupid) and everything has to be spelled out for the audience, apparently, and it didn't do shit to try and get the messages it was talking about to be taken seriously (except the last one which is probably the best out of the stories). This was a waste of bringing in Keith David. Dude deserves better movies.

In hindsight I should've seen this coming when the first movie's framing device was about drugs in a funeral home and this one was about A RACIST HIRING SOMEONE TO TEACH A DAMN ROBOT HOW TO RACIALLY PROFILE. I think I was expecting too much from this.

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Vg21Vsv.png

#12 - The Virgin Spring (1960)
I never would've guessed that a Bergman movie would make it into one of my horror marathons since most of his movies seem to include themes of religion, faith, and moral struggles. This one does as well, but in a different way. It's a well told, chilling and harrowing tale that is at times hard to watch. Featuring everything from gorgeous stark cinematography, focused direction by the Swedish master and an incredibly powerful performance by Max von Sydow, this might be one of my favorite Bergman movies so far. 8/10
I watched this last month to see what had inspired The Last House on the Left and was very pleasantly surprised. What a fantastic movie, still gorgeous to this day.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I just finished "Seed Of Chucky" and...holy shit, I need to watch something good as a palate cleanser tomorrow. Too much crap so far.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely adore this film. While it's not quite up to Evil Dead trilogy standards, it both shares enough similarities and does enough to stand on its own to make it feel special.

Oh man, for sure. And I love that fuckin awesome title screen to death.

And that absolutely gruesome ending! It is a classic imho.

Haven't read the book (or well, any Stephen King book for that matter lol. I should someday),

You're missing out! I don't think I can name one adaptation that has managed to properly translate his qualities to the screen. The Shining is an excellent film, but for entirely different reasons the novel is. Start with Salem's Lot or The Stand (the latter if you want something epic to sink your teeth in).

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last story had some promise for delivering an actual message, but it really was just a variation on the white politician story in the first movie. Overall this tale was messy too. The editing wasn't that great and story kind of meanders around before finally getting to the actual point. Fortunately, this one didn't have some oddly smiling doll and took itself a bit seriously. Unfortunately, it was just as bad as the rest of the tales within.

Tone-wise it's weird compared to the rest of the movie. Yeah it was still jumbled because of the back and forth between time periods, but it was pretty much the only story that seemed to put effort in. It's preceded by vampires and succeeded by a robot with an America laser.

Also I couldn't have predicted where that doll story was going to go

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror: #11 Tales of Terror
220px-Tales_of_Terror_1962_poster.jpg

Roger Corman and Vincent Price team up yet again to deliver a sturdy take on the tales of Edgar Allan Poe — this time in triplicate. There's no framing story here unfortunately, but we do get some fun narration from Price and the stories all begin and end with cool illustration overlays much like Creepshow would do many years later.

The first story,"Morella" is a classic gothic haunted house tale similar to Fall of the House of Usher. It's a touch too stately, as I find anthologies tend to work best when they kick things off with a shorter and punchier tale, but this is still some good old fashioned fun in the make we have come to expect from the duo. This short also features some great control of color on Corman's part, as the beige of the dead house contrasts wonderfully with the more vibrant costuming.

The middle story, "The Black Cat" (although it's combined with elements from another Poe story), which starts with Peter Lorre as drunk who hates his wife's cat and ends up taking a more macabre direction later on, is the standout of the bunch. For one, seeing Lorre and Price share the screen together and get to flex their comedic chops in this more exhuberant tale is even more delightful than you would expect and I can hardly say who had more fun with their role (the two characters have a wine drinking completion in the middle of the story and just the interplay between their reactions is a comedic marvel). But this is tales of terror after all, so why would a goofy story about the misadventures of a drunk be the standout? Well, once a little light murder gets involved later on this short has just as much fun with the more gruesome elements as it did with the pure comedy. In particular there's a very fun dream sequence that's filled with some enjoyable and disorienting camera effects to go along with a little gore. Even if the other two stories weren't enjoyable in their own right, this story would make the film worth a watch.

The final story, "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar," concerns an elderly man played by Price who has turned to mesmerism to ease his pain in his final days, but may have gotten more than he bargained for in the process. Price here is given a more subdued role and is rightfully overshadowed by the creepy Mesmerist played by Basil Rathbone. This story, while not scary, is the closest these tales of terror get to touching on some unnerving concepts when you think of the implications behind them, but it never lets things get too creepy and instead ends up with a very EC comics style ending of supernatural retribution.

This anthology is nothing earth shattering to be sure, but for fans of Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Roger Corman's take on Poe as I am, this is a very enjoyable collection of tales. None go on for longer than they should, are mostly sequenced well (with the comedic segment breaking up the more serious fare), diverse enough in material and tone, and make the most of the small budget. Corman remains an underrated formalist in these B-movie undertakings, with a way of making the cheap sets feel expansive rather than claustrophobic, and a great eye for color. I only wish that this had kicked things off with a bit more of the energy that pervades the film's best segment.

31 Days of Horror: #12 Apostle

Welsh director Gareth Evans made a name for himself with the bone-crunching Indonesian action movies The Raid and The Raid 2, introducing the world to the Silat martial arts style and reinvigorating the genre in the process. Not content to define himself as "the martial arts guy", Evans has returned to Wales and teamed up with Netflix for a film that largely eschews the action he built his reputation on, swapping out frenetic choreography for the slow-boil of a cult horror film. Unfortunately, where Evans' broad strokes and in-your-face gratuity works marvels for the The Raid films, as they color the fast-paced action in easily readable character types and memorable punctuation marks of bodily decimation, in Apostle they transform what should be subtle mystery and unease into a tired exhibition of well-worn tropes. And, sadly, this time the punctuation marks are few and far between.
Much like the folk-horror classic The Wicker Man, which serves as the main point of inspiration here, the story of Apostle concerns a man scouring an island-based religious cult for a disappearance of a young woman. In this case, the man (Thomas Richardson, played with clench-jawed intensity by Dan Stevens) is searching for his kidnapped sister, who is being held for ransom by the cult. Where The Wicker Man succeeded in its trickle of pagan-inflected weirdness, and the idiosyncrasies of its musical digressions, Apostle gets right to throwing all the usual lexicon of cult horror behaviors at you from the jump: animal sacrifices, generic proselytizing, and scowling enforcers abound. As a result, the cult community never feels like a plausible setting, lacking the verisimilitude and grounding that its key cinematic influence has.

While Evans's eye remains honed to deliver well-framed exploration of all this typical genre fare, it can't overcome the triteness of the material. Clearly considered shots like a reveal that crosses on a hill are actually the masts of a ship, or a spiraling camera inverting a flaming crucifix, far exceed the consideration of the story they help tell. There is little subtlety at play here, and as the mysteries of the cult—such as they are—get revealed, any unsettling obfuscation the film had evaporates in favor of some silly effects-heavy reveals that do a remarkable job of dispersing much of the horror that some earlier moments built up.

The characters are, if anything, even more broadly painted than the genre tropes surrounding them. We have the usual assortment of spittle-spraying prophets, timid doubters, and naïve youths to contend with, and they're about as interesting as you might expect. Their character arcs are prolonged well past their expiration dates before their unsurprising resolutions are sprung upon us in all their grim kineticism (the one aspect where Evans's handling of the material actually feels fresh for the genre).

More disappointing are the roles for the women of the story. What begins as a damsel in distress story ends as one, only the number of damsels in distress seems to rapidly multiply the farther into the film you get. Every woman in the story (and I do mean every) is a helpless captive of abuse. It's another disappointing example of Evans not only not subverting the usual genre building blocks but building the story with multiples of all the most frequently used. Only Stevens, as the drug addicted and perpetually furious lead player, offers a fresh and engaging performance to hold the pieces together. The most we get from the others is some scenery-chewing from the overtly villainous types.

What then is there to recommend in Apostle? Where it succeeds are the same moments that make The Raid films as good as they are: the punctuation marks of kinetic violence and the rapidly impending threat of it. It's in the sequences where the film lets us forget about the mystery or lives of the characters and threatens mortal peril where it finally comes to grotesque life. There's a memorably tense chase through underground tunnels that turns from thrilling to horrifying as the location becomes increasingly claustrophobic and the pursuers more nightmarish. Evans also indulges in some brief hand-to-hand combat, and though the actors are no martial artists, they acquit themselves well to the more clumsy brawling these intense scraps involve, and the camerawork is just as vivid and lively as the movement of the performers.

The twin elements of motion in the performers and the camera reinforce one-another to create the unique authorial touch that is distinctly Evans's. Though there was some festival buzz generated about the extremity of the brutal torture devices heavily featured in the film's marketing, they again serve more as brief sequences of successful tension and thrills rather than vectors for gratuitous gore and bodily punishment. These moments of memorable imagery and pulse-escalating action succeed because the broad genre points of the film are transformed from tired narrative devices, into the solid of clarity of touchstones for the viewer to grab hold of in a rapidly-moving rollercoaster of tension (they work for the same reason the comic-book stylings of James Cameron's action-horror masterpiece Aliens do). It's just a shame then that these successful moments are spread so thin and are over so quick.

Though it's commendable that Evans decided to expand to new genre territory rather than rest on his laurels, the particular cadences of Apostle apparently do not play to the director's strengths. It's not as though a horror film about a cult is unsteady territory for the director—his short form "Safe Haven" is a superlative found footage horror story about a fictional Indonesian death cult and succeeds in almost every way that Apostle fails (although we can attribute at least half of that short's success to co-director Timo Tjahjanto)—but the protracted rhythms here are unsteady in his directorial grasp. It's as though Evans wanted to challenge the criticisms he received for The Raid 2's sprawling narrative ambitions and see if he could make a film entirely around the story of a man behind enemy lines without resorting to the martial arts he knew he could pull off. Perhaps next time he'll find a way to translate his discernible passion for combat to the stories of his characters, and I won't begrudge him to try again, but sometimes artists just have a niche. Hitchcock made a career trading in suspense, so maybe Evans was meant to trade in broken bones?

31 Days of Horror: #13 Friday the 13th Part 2
friday2.jpg

My first foray into the uncharted waters of the Jason entries of series and, shockingly (read: not so shockingly) this is basically the same movie as the first one. It's largely just as dumb and inept as the first one, and doesn't even have the advantage of having a justification for its premise this go around (Jason didn't drown? Okay...so why was his mom avenging him when they clearly lived in the same spot, and Jason certainly isn't averse to traveling...), but it does have a pretty killer final 20 minutes once the slashing really gets going which ultimately puts this on top I think.

Things started off pretty rough with perhaps the most unnecessary and protracted use of flashback footage from the previous movie I've ever seen (they basically showed almost the entire third act again), but other than that the beginning is actually pretty clever. Slasher sequels seem to be at their best when they're dealing with the trauma of the survivors of the prior film, and this does and okay job at that! The movie even threatens cleverness with playing with objective/subjective camera and our expectations as to what is a POV shot or not (it does this again during the chase sequence to good affect). Of course this is Friday the 13th so any attempt at character depth can't be tolerated and our heroine is quickly dispatched, albeit in a pretty darn great way. I love the fridge scare, this movie should have just been about Jason road tripping with his mom's head and getting into all sorts of hi-jinks as he has to keep her well refrigerated.

After the opening though, it's business as usual. Annoying teens are introduced. Incorrect butt-cheeks are grabbed. Teens tell campfire stories (adding to the charming camp atmosphere which is one of the few things this series seems to have going for it). Teens get naked. Teens swap out perfectly nice underwear for hideous underwear. Teens get it on...

...and then the fun starts. Jason may not have the advantage of the all-in performance his mother gave, but ol sackhead has a great design. In fact, his appearance is so good, and effectively used, that I'm kind of surprised they didn't keep the design. One-eyed hoods are dope, especially when paired with a pitchfork as a weapon. The kills here are mostly stolen straight from Mario Bava's Bay of Blood, but this time on wheels! Better than the kills though, which while good lack Savini's touch, is the excellent chase that makes up most of the film's third act. There's some really good misdirection here (our final girl's choice between holding the bathroom door shut and escaping out to the window leads to a perfectly timed scare) and awesome use of foreground and background as Jason barrels relentlessly towards our hero (whose name I forgot, but she's a bit better than the last one!).

There's still some unaccountable level of charm to the series (is it the location? The sheer lack of ambition beyond no-frills stupid teens getting murdered?) that despite its entirely shoddy foundation makes for a somehow appealing dumb viewing experience. But if further sequels can build on the legitimately good tension that the last act of this has, and somehow extend it through the first half of the movie, I can probably get on board with this series a little more wholeheartedly.

31 Days of Horror: #14 The Monster Squad

Kinda feels like a low-rent Goonies movie but with Universal monsters in it, so all-in-all, not too bad. There's an obvious love for these horror icons present in the film (armadillos in Dracula's castle) and the kids have alright chemistry with one another. It's too slipshod to be real classic, but the 80's kids adventure movie vibes combined with a monster-mash special made for fun holiday viewing. I could have done without the peeping-tom kids blackmailing a girl with naked pictures though.

31 Days of Horror: #15 Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

I haven't seen Tales from the Darkside show yet, but despite George Romero and Stephen King's involvement this movie feels less like Creepshow and closer in tone and look to HBO's Tales from the Crypt television series. There aren't any vibrant comic-booky flourishes to the aesthetics here, and it has a very television look to it in general (although there are some moments of clever framing). Don't let the look and comedic tone fool you though, there are some seriously gnarly gore effect here to offset and goofiness in may lull you into. There are only three stories here (plus the Hansel and...well just Hansel this time...wraparound, which is kinda fun but too predictable) but they're all pretty solidly done thanks to having been all adapted from previously proven material. We've got Arthur Conan Doyle, Stephen King, and--surprisingly--a story from Lafcadio Hearn's Kwaidan. The Conan Doyle mummy story (which makes good use of a great cast), and especially the King story (about a serial killing cat that has truly fantastic kill to cap it off) work far better with the tone of this piece and Hearn's melancholy story of a man forced to keep a promise to a monster that takes a toll on his marriage to the woman of his dreams.

It's no Creepshow or Tales from the Crypt, as it lacks boldness in its aesthetics and confident unification of its tone, but this is a solid B-tier anthology for those looking for a bit more of the ones in the vein of EC comics tradition.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#14 - Tetsuo: The Iron Man

giphy.gif

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a fever dream composed of body horror, industrial music and metal penises. Possibly the weirdest movie I've ever seen, I'm not quite sure what I just watched or if I liked it. It was certainly an experience, that's for sure.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Vg21Vsv.png

#12 - The Virgin Spring (1960)
I never would've guessed that a Bergman movie would make it into one of my horror marathons since most of his movies seem to include themes of religion, faith, and moral struggles. This one does as well, but in a different way. It's a well told, chilling and harrowing tale that is at times hard to watch. Featuring everything from gorgeous stark cinematography, focused direction by the Swedish master and an incredibly powerful performance by Max von Sydow, this might be one of my favorite Bergman movies so far. 8/10

Hour of the Wolf would fit into a horror marathon as well! I couldn't say how it compares since I haven't seen Virgin Spring yet, but Hour of the Wolf is pretty fantastic.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Got a chance to see Suspiria 2018 + QA from the director Luca Guadagnino. I won't say too much because I know most people won't have seen it. I am a huge fan of the original and I'll just say I absolutely loved it - but I also understand why it was divisive. I hope people didn't spoil themselves on the movie
Significant spoiler below (not on plot but movie content)
It's definitely more of a discomfort movie than a 'scary moment' type of movies. Most of it is slow buildup of dread. But I wish not every journalist had talked about the kill that happens during a dance scene - it's incredibly brutal and a sucker punch if you don't expect it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The-Witch-Share-Image.jpg

#18 - The VVitch (2015) - Well, it's finally happened. A horror movie that I praised to the heavens (no pun intended) upon a first viewing I now feel differently about. After viewing something like Hereditary, and other religious themed horror, The VVitch no longer stands out for me.

A family in 17th century New England is banished from a church-controlled plantation for different religious perspectives. Once settled on a location, things quickly turn south: their newborn baby is stolen, their crops start to rot, and the family starts to turn on each other. What follows is a series of supernatural events that leads the family to think witchcraft might be the culprit.

First off, let me make it clear that I respect the hell out of this movie, and the care that was taken in regards to research as well as attempting to be as historically accurate as possible. The performances are great (aside from the kids), and the setting is hauntingly beautiful. The tone is one of darkness and tragedy from the start. But the story and characters failed to connect with me on a second viewing. What ultimately happens to the family is disturbing, but now lacks that emotional punch that was previously present. Not only that, but I now find the film boring due to the dialogue and scenes that linger for far too long. Yes, it may add to the realism, but it just doesn't click for me.

Overall, it's a very well made movie that deserves to be seen at least once. Just be aware that it may not hold up to repeat viewings.

6 Black Phillips eating lions from the lion's den out of 10.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Godzilla_Vs._Mechagodzilla_1024x1024.jpg

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  3. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
  4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  5. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (1964)
  6. Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  7. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  8. Son of Godzilla (1967)
  9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  10. All Monsters Attack (1969)
  11. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
  13. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
  14. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Aliens from the Black Hole plot the subjugation of Earth using Mechagodzilla as their ultimate weapon, but Godzilla and King Ceasar fight off the invaders with help from Interpol and some Japanese scientists. It's pretty formulaic stuff, but we've dispensed with the pre-adolescent protagonist and this one manages to be both coherent somewhat interesting throughout its run time. There's less stock footage culled from previous releases in this one too. All in all, it's a bump up in quality for the pentultimate Showa release. Notable moment is when Godzilla turns himself into a magnet(!?).​

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#14 The Belko Experiment (2016)

JF4gvL0.jpg

Look at me, I'm chill as fuck!

It's Battle Royale, but in cubicles.
80 employees in an office building are sealed in and ordered to start killing each other, or else their heads will explode. Now this will really make the staplers red.

This was alright. As you can see, it's highly unoriginal as a premise, and the execution is full of the expected clichés for this sort of Royale knock-off. There are some slight, nearly gaseous swings at social commentary, but it's very much surface level and the real purpose of the film is lots and lots of violent murder. It takes its time getting to the bloodbath, though, and even then it just comes off as mean and repetitive.

I wonder if a lighter tone would have suited it better. For a film with a phenomenally stupid premise that exists to show a lot of gore, it sure does take itself seriously. It's written by James Gunn, but it's neither a black comedy like Super, nor a gross crazy comedy like Slither. I'm not saying Gunn has to only do comedic films, but I think doing Royale in an office building warrants going over the top wacky. People killed by staplers, drowned by watercoolers, smashed into photocopiers, pinged with stressballs, beaten with keyboards. That sounds like a silly, amusing time that takes advantage of the setting. Office Space in the vein of Braindead.
Whereas in this, the fortieth extra ruthlessly gunned down or head blown up has really lost its impact.

If you enjoy these sorts of dry murderfests, it's a short diversion.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Girl

Something old: Revenge

This is one of those movies that I will flat out never revisit. In a nutshell, some high school dudes find a chick chained up and beaten in the basement of some old asylum type place. One gets the bright idea to uh, put her to use. Turns out she's some weird zombie type creature that they use as a sex toy. Things just go from bad to worse and my stomach got a little tight watching this.

Very few movies actually make me feel uncomfortable. Like Cannibal Holocaust the first time I watched that. Other movies like Hostel or A Serbian Film just don't interest me in the least. There is a line that I can't really describe but there is a line. I'll watch Terrifier and love it because its got that horror fun your looking for. Then you get something like this which is next level. I love to say that horror films can go places and tell stories other genres cannot and this is exactly one of those cases. However, should this story have been told? Probably not, but here we are.

So its disturbing, but how was the story? Turns out this was a really good story actually. As utterly repulsive as the subject matter is, I found the whole story to be extremely engaging all the way through. It's one of those you hate to watch but can't stop. In the end, I can't actually recommend anyone but the most avid horror fan watch this.

Dead Girl gets two in the pink, one in the stink, and a half a wiener in the sink.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Girl

This is one of those movies that I will flat out never revisit. In a nutshell, some high school dudes find a chick chained up and beaten in the basement of some old asylum type place. One gets the bright idea to uh, put her to use. Turns out she's some weird zombie type creature that they use as a sex toy. Things just go from bad to worse and my stomach got a little tight watching this.

Very few movies actually make me feel uncomfortable. Like Cannibal Holocaust the first time I watched that. Other movies like Hostel or A Serbian Film just don't interest me in the least. There is a line that I can't really describe but there is a line. I'll watch Terrifier and love it because its got that horror fun your looking for. Then you get something like this which is next level. I love to say that horror films can go places and tell stories other genres cannot and this is exactly one of those cases. However, should this story have been told? Probably not, but here we are.

So its disturbing, but how was the story? Turns out this was a really good story actually. As utterly repulsive as the subject matter is, I found the whole story to be extremely engaging all the way through. It's one of those you hate to watch but can't stop. In the end, I can't actually recommend anyone but the most avid horror fan watch this.

Dead Girl gets two in the pink, one in the stink, and a half a wiener in the sink.

Good write up. For some stupid reason, I bought Deadgirl for cheap, and I wish I hadn't. I could barely stomach this movie.

Have you seen Lucky McGee's The Woman?

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#14. The Conjuring: The film that apparently started a cinematic universe. I've heard a lot of hype about this movie and I'll say it's ok. Some effective scares but it's a story you've seen a million times and I doesn't do anything particularly interesting. It's well shot and mostly well acted so it's a fine horror movie to watch. I'm sure if I look up the true story this is supposed to be based on, it will be about a house that had a door open once or something like that. I'd ask why they bother saying these movies are based on a true story because who are they fooling but it gets them an extra few million at the box office so may as well.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Went a smidge overboard this week.

• The Conjuring 2 *
  • XX *
  • Fear Inc.
  • Killer Klowns from Outer Space
  • The Ruins
  • Child's Play
  • The Loved Ones
  • Trick or Treat (1986) *
  • Riding the Bullet *
  • Blair Witch
  • The House of the Devil
  • Hocus Pocus
* = first time watches.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/the-rocky-horror-picture-show/
rocky-horror-picture-show-1477507489.jpg

First time watch.

I haven't been this tickled, or this riveted by a musical, since Little Shop of Horrors. If you know how much that film means to me, then you can appreciate just how massive a compliment that is. I want posters of Tim Curry's menacing face plastered all over my wall. I want to frame so many of the film's moments and relive the onslaught of its exuberance over and over again. I want to also pretend the last 10 minutes or so didn't actually happen.

That version of the film gets a perfect score.
3409-15-1080p.jpg

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#9. Black Christmas (1974) - Never saw this before and really enjoyed its low budget nastiness. A fun romp in a familiar setting, with style galore.

black-christmas-the-eye.jpg

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
14. The Apostle

Ok Gareth Evans just showed the world how versatile he is. Best horror movie this year by far. Absolutley bonkers performance by Stevens. Amazing set design and cinematography and effects work. He even found a way to put in some of his signature action without losing any horror vibe. This will be a classic in the genre I believe. Can't really think of any gripes aside from maybe the ending was a bit rushed

9/10!

DAY 22, or "Bye-bye, 80s!"

Oh no, a bonus film

April Fool's Day: Rich White People are Sociopaths: The Movie! It's possible that this may not have been the impression that the movie is supposed to leave with someone watching it, but it's hard to find anything else of any value with this cinematic prank gone horribly moronic, a gag that impresses itself and no one else. There was certainly a nugget of a good idea to create what amounts to an anti-slasher film, ferociously denying the baser joys of the genre in an attempt to create a dialogue with its intended audience on what they're really getting out of the experience at the end of the day, especially at a time when the genre was still in vogue. In a weird way, this film has a strange bedfellow in the form of Funny Games, Michael Haneke's own little spin on the topic, but for as much as the finger-wagging of that film grated on me, Haneke didn't forget to make a genuinely suspenseful and nerve-wracking film in the process, standing well and even beyond its contemporaries and most of the genre with its icy terrors. Here, the tone is so smug that you never once feel any kind of tension building up, as if the film is constantly patting itself on the back for knowing where it's going without wanting to put in the work on how to get there in an effective or plausible manner. I imagine the screenplay to this read very well, but its contrivances pile up quickly and the final twist ensures that they all crumble like dust when thought about for even a second. Thinking about the story in a slasher film seems like the wrong way to approach the genre, but the lack of thrills and spills in this film otherwise means you've got nothing but time to stew on the stupidity that it makes for itself, and though the film certainly looks better than most of the films in the genre, it winds up not amounting to much when the production qualities aren't being used to facilitate much in the way of tension. We wind up with a film that loses the slasher audience almost immediately, and we have a film destined to annoy and anger the rest of the folks out there not particularly thrilled to see largely awful human beings be terrible to one another with nothing to show for it beyond its aspirations of being in the same vein as an Agatha Christie mystery and winds up being dumb for Scooby Doo. So what's left? I don't know about anyone else, but that's just a straight-up bad film in my book.

Geometria: Long before winning countless awards for the movie that promoted bestiality as a pure love, Guillermo del Toro started where a lot of folks in horror start with a really silly short film. Though this doesn't bear too many of his visual thematic obsessions, what we do have here is the work of someone that already had a good grasp on their craftsmanship, as this looks rather nice even with the overdone colored lighting. Del Toro also gets credit for a pretty funny joke that the plot revolves around, teaching out the importance of paying attention in class, and the decision to dub over all of the actors himself is quite the gasser, especially with his amusing impression of a middle-aged woman. It's not deep by any stretch of the imagination, but one could already get the sense that this was a director destined for greatness, and having a little fun while getting there never hurt nobody.

White of the Eye: Mixing a serial killer premise with a touch of small-town weirdness, plenty of family drama and a rather kaleidoscopic visual makeup, there's not much out there to compare this film to that anywhere close to a match. Opening with a murder sequence that feels like the best of Argento, bright whites are painted with all manner of red liquids all over a chic kitchen, and we even get a striking image of a goldfish gasping for air in a plate of uncooked ribs. To say that the film doesn't quite live up to the incredible opening is a bit of an understatement, but it does maintain a strong visual style for the entire duration of the film, featuring bold color choices and some rather graceful camerawork. But more importantly, it makes the most out of its locations, as Arizona has seldom looked so strange yet enticing, with some great landscape shots to go with the mix of conventional buildings and less typical homes. There's definitely the unmistakable mark of a perfectionist here, as Donald Cammell pores over every frame of the film with a painter's touch. I didn't really get this from the only other film of his that I had seen in Demon Seed, so the status of this film as a passion project are very clear, which I certainly appreciate. Throw in a blues fusion (well, how would you describe it?!) soundtrack from rock legends Rick Fenn and Nick Mason, and the atmosphere is off the charts. It's a good thing it is, as the story won't be doing you too many favors, as the first hour plus of the film devotes time between the killing spree, the manhunt that ensues and the family drama of our leads as they endure the stress of when it turns to them. It's not a bad story, really, but considering the kind of film that this is, it's not doing a particularly great job of teasing out a mystery as to the identity of the killer when it's abundantly clear who it is. And while I did find quite a bit to like about David Keith's intense performance, Cathy Moriarty struck me as a bit flat in her scenes, making her emotional reactions feel a bit forced. That's a pretty big problem in the last half hour or so, as the film shifts gears in a big way where it wants you to be in her character's corner, but it's missing a level of investment to make it all work. And for as creepy as the implications as to why our killer did it all can get, that can't really excuse a major ass-pull the movie makes to set up the finale that takes a lot out wind out of the sails and does a fair amount of damage to a great location to have a final chase and confrontation. Still, this is a heck of a visual stunner and I do like the atmosphere the editing adds to with its shattered glass affectation, as we wind up in the past, present and occasional future for a vivid experience. I wish I could love this film outright, but I don't mind simply being a fan of what it does do even as I think it could have been even better.

Evil Dead Trap: Sleazy Japanese horror, Italian style! Strange as it sounds, it would be difficult to miss the Italian influences that this film boasts, from the way the kills are staged to the potentially litigious "homage" the film's soundtrack pays to the likes of Goblin. Same goes for the heavy use of colored lighting throughout, making the dilapidated factory look more like the hand of set designers than the truth likely allowed for. The Japanese elements are just as clear here, though those are a bit more of a split side in terms of relevance. Chiefly, the sex scenes, including a pretty lengthy rape scene, don't hold much value beyond adding in a lot of female nudity and the film grinds to a halt when they show up, as if they were contractually obligated to be there. There's also a level of graphic violence here that horror films of that time were known for, and the effects work here is actually pretty top-notch, including a very early stab through an eye that definitely holds its own compared to the likes of Fulci. But perhaps the the most uniquely Japanese aspect about the film is perhaps the moment it decides to stop being a slasher film and go down a very strange road towards the finale. Here, things liven up due to how out there the movie gets, though unlike a lot of left-field twists, this one actually does take a little bit of time to offer some context that builds the situation up properly without having to go crazy with the exposition. It doesn't make it less weird, to be sure, but having some explanation for itself goes a long way to making it feel like a proper extension of the narrative, rather than hoping no one notices how little it has to do with everything else. And one can't certainly fault the movie for having a limited budget when it spends it on the right things, including the literally explosive climax. Not great, but I do have to admire it for going in a direction I didn't expect it to go in and managing it surprisingly well.

Baxter: What if Dog was one of us: just a budding psychopath like one of us? Yes, you read that correctly: this film is all about the title Bull Terrier and the deadpan yet disturbing observations and thoughts he has about his owners, with a bit of murder on his mind from time to time. Murder with reason, he claims, but what does a dog know about laws and morals? How the film pulls off his story is pretty interesting, as it adopts a sort of anthology format as he bounces from owner to owner, hoping to find the one that will treat him like the animal he thinks he deserves to be, though it's a bit more complex than that as the story isn't Baxter's alone. Highlight the lives of several occupants of the same neighborhood, the film does a pretty fantastic job of instilling a genuine sense of suburban misery and anxiety, where your friends are only friends as long as you allow them to be and the perfect family on paper is seldom one in practice. Nothing new in terms of raw material, but the icy way it's handled here does leave a strong impression, and the ever-so slightly stylized approach to the visual design of the film gives familiar trappings a tangible atmosphere that suggests that the rot at the heart of this part of society is never that far away. Despite not being a graphic film, though I will warn folks that I'm pretty sure that the French equivalent of the Humane Society may not have been present for all scenes involving the dog as it gets pretty harrowing at times, it nails the balance it needs to feel quite disturbing. This certainly extends very much to our eventual villain of the story, whose development takes on some pretty horrific turns as he begins to imagine what his life would be if he was more like his newfound hero. Incidentally, this is where the film overextends a bit: not that it isn't believable that a kid would find themselves enamored with pure evil and even attempt to go through some of things he does here, but for a one-man operation, some of the extracurricular activities do stretch credibility quite a bit. I don't think they hurt the film as much as the unfortunate moments of animal abuse that made it in, but they do work together to take the film down a couple of notches. I do very much like this film on the whole, for its dark humor and unflinching worldview, and though it's not light viewing by any stretch, at least you get a cute dog as your guide through it all. That always counts for a lot!

38 films on the road ahead, with a stop in the 90s next!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
You're missing out! I don't think I can name one adaptation that has managed to properly translate his qualities to the screen. The Shining is an excellent film, but for entirely different reasons the novel is. Start with Salem's Lot or The Stand (the latter if you want something epic to sink your teeth in).

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe looking at Salem's Lot or Pet Semetery really. Something that isn't sooooo long, like IT lol. I might look into some audiobooks.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
13. The Devil's Backbone/El Espinazo del Diablo (2001): The third foreign-language movie I've seen for 31 Days this year. I like ghost movies, and here's one that does well with that...for the first half. Then a big event happens, and the focus goes away for a while, and it's less the horror of ghosts and more of man. The children are enjoyable to watch, the Spanish Civil War is a great framing device that encourages me to learn a little more about history, similarly with Pan's Labyrinth, also directed by del Toro. The makeup effects on the ghost are nice and spooky. It's a good movie, and I'm liking Guillermo more as a filmmaker.

Full list

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
8. The Raven (1935)
The second of Lugosi and Karloff's collaborations together, and also the second and final of their very loose Edgar Allen Poe adaptations, following The Black Cat. This film is a big step up from that one, largely because it's actually built around Lugosi and Karloff this time, rather than making them more peripheral characters. Lugosi hams it up quite well as a torture-loving Poe fetishist, and Karloff slinks back into Frankenstein mode, even making the same grunts. It's not great, but watching Lugosi's sadomasochistic scenery chewing is a lot of fun, and the ending is really well done (minus the very very end).
6/10

9. Hour of the Wolf
This neatly lined up for both the horror marathon and my yearlong Bergman marathon. For the first 45 minutes or so, I was finding this really tedious. But once that flashback sequence hits, shit starts spiraling out of control, in a really compelling way. Bergman does a great job depicting Johan's slipping grip on reality, and building a surrealistic, nightmarish atmosphere, between the hallucinations, the cultish dinner guests, the mocking laughter. While not one of his best, still a good take on a horror film through the prism of Ingmar Bergman, albeit one that takes a while to really find its groove.
7/10

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
11) Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
I think the idea of it was a bit cooler than the execution. It just seemed super dated, far too comical, and the idea of Freddy having a kid is...odd.
12) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
What a great way to revive a franchise. Legitimately fun, brought back the horror elements of the franchise, really fun references and stuff for fans.
13) Aterrados (Terrified) (2017)
Fun and wild ride all the way through. Some great setpieces and truly creepy scenes along with some fun jumpscares that avoided feeling cheap and super predictable! The effects are fantastic. Great stuff.

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
October 14, 2018

ANightmareOnElmStreet3s_zpsv5lbd1m4.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Synopsis: We see the return of Nancy as a sleep counselor who offers to help kids in a psychiatric ward having recurring dreams about a burned man in a dirty brown hat and knives for fingers on his right hand trying to kill them. This time around Nancy is able to help the kids learn their 'dream' abilities, but is it enough against Freddy Krueger?

Review: I feel it is starting with this film that Robert Englund gets into the groove as Freddy. I think this is the one that defines Freddy's killing style and the attitude that he is most famous for. It was great to see Nancy return and take on Freddy one more time. And this time with kids with 'dream' abilities. We also learn more about the origin of Freddy and what transpired in the creation of him. A fun time with good performances especially from Nancy and Freddy. We also get to see a young Patricia Arquette and Lawrence Fishburne (although he is credited as Larry Fishburne).

- 8/10

Last edited:

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
In the Mouth of Madness wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining - it might just be because I'm partial to Sam Neill, but I feel like the movie would have been far worse if he wasn't the lead actor. Not the best movie I've watched so far, but not the worst.
Terrifier was a senseless, gore-filled slasher flick that kept me on the edge of my seat. It's the kind of movie where every character makes stupid decisions, but it was a fun watch. I will say that the effects were extremely gross and not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.
It (2017) - I can't believe it's already been a year since this came out. Pretty great movie for the most part, and I prefer everything about it (aside from the lack of Tim Curry) to the original TV special.

I think I'll probably watch Apostle tomorrow, or maybe Hellraiser.

1. It Follows
2. Hereditary
3. Event Horizon
4. The Void
5. The Conjuring
6. The Babadook
7. Insidious
8. In the Mouth of Madness
9. Terrifier
10. It (2017)

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
dqAsFPE.png

#13 - Jigoku (1960)
My first venture into Asian horror this month! Following many western horrors, it is really intriguing to see the difference in approach, both stylistically and in the way that horror is defined. The first 2 acts build slow, following several characters with their sins, guilt, and revenge. After that, we go to the infamous third act and its depiction of hell. Ooh boy. It is gruesome and disturbing. It is pain and suffering. It is bloody and gory. It is terrifying. Send help. 6/10

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
October 14, 2018

ANightmareOnElmStreet3s_zpsv5lbd1m4.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Synopsis: We see the return of Nancy as a sleep counselor who offers to help kids in a psychiatric ward having recurring dreams about a burned man in a dirty brown hat and knives for fingers on his right hand trying to kill them. This time around Nancy is able to help the kids learn their 'dream' abilities, but is it enough against Freddy Krueger?

Review: I feel it is starting with this film that Robert Englund gets into the groove as Freddy. I think this is the one that defines Freddy's killing style and the attitude that he is most famous for. It was great to see Nancy return and take on Freddy one more time. And this time with kids with 'dream' abilities. We also learn more about the origin of Freddy and what transpired in the creation of him. A fun time with good performances especially from Nancy and Freddy. We also get to see a young Patricia Arquette and Lawrence Fishburne (although he is credited as Larry Fishburne).

- 8/10
I'll go ahead and say this is the best horror sequel of all time.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Pet Semetery would also be an excellent choice.

In the Mouth of Madness wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining - it might just be because I'm partial to Sam Neill, but I feel like the movie would have been far worse if he wasn't the lead actor. Not the best movie I've watched so far, but not the worst.

I rewatched that last night and loved it just as much as I always did. The Lovecraftian weirdness combined with that early 90s vibe is right up my alley. That 'Enter Sadman' ripoff that has to pass as a title theme is awful though. Ugh.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
14. The Apostle

Ok Gareth Evans just showed the world how versatile he is. Best horror movie this year by far. Absolutley bonkers performance by Stevens. Amazing set design and cinematography and effects work. He even found a way to put in some of his signature action without losing any horror vibe. This will be a classic in the genre I believe. Can't really think of any gripes aside from maybe the ending was a bit rushed

9/10!

The seesaw review scores for this are driving me mad. Need to watch it asap, find out which side I land on.

Dead Girl

Give The Corpse of Anna Fritz a shot if you enjoyed Dead Girl's story, but not it's violence.

Fritz does get uncomfortable to say the least, but it doesn't linger much, and eventually transitions from exploitation to thriller (and stays there).

Last edited:

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The seesaw review scores for this are driving me mad. Need to watch it asap, find out which side I land on.

Give The Corpse of Anna Fritz a shot if you enjoyed Dead Girl's story, but not it's violence.

Fritz does get uncomfortable to say the least, but it doesn't linger much, and eventually transitions from exploitation to thriller (and stays there).

Will give that one a shot too.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
6. Terrifier (2017) [October 12]

Terrifier is watchable and certainly noteworthy for its competent gore effects and genuinely creepy slasher character. That being said, I can't call this a good movie. It starts off rather interestingly, with a shocking kill and some pretty disturbing imagery. I enjoyed following the "final girl" of the film and found her to be an interesting enough character to root for. The beginning of the movie sort of holds its cards to its chest and for a moment, I thought I was going to be in for an unconventional take on a slasher flick.

I was wrong.

From about a 1/4 of the way into the film, Terrifier is the same movie you've seen a million times before, right down to its setting and character tropes. Some of the deaths are unique, sure, but you could tell that the movie was framed around "getting to the cool kills man!", and everything in between was so uninspired. At times I felt that the violence was a bit mean-spirited, and it kind of dragged me out of the experience.

Also, I can't tell you how frustrated I got that MULTIPLE people would get the one-up on Art the Clown, hit him like once, and then run away, only for Art to get them. Finish your work, people.

Art the Clown as a character was great and, like I said before, is a genuinely creepy-ass dude. He has a very unique style, and if a sequel gets green-lit, I would be interested to see how they can evolve Art. Everything else from Terrifier needs to be left behind and re-evaluated.

Pros:
  • Art the Clown could become a new icon in slasher villains
  • Soundtrack is nice and vintage
  • Gore effects
Cons:
  • Horrendous No plot
  • Bag o' Tropes
  • I couldn't believe how stupid some of these victims were
  • Ending was terribad
2.5 out 5 - Conditionally Recommended (for gore-hounds)

7. Revenge (2017) [October 14]

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It's best described as a French extremity revenge film, with bits and pieces of body horror sprinkled in. First off, this is a beautiful film. Eye-popping colors such as the contrast of the reddish-brown desert landscape with the crystal-blue skies above made for some truly nice eye-candy.

As a rape-revenge film, Revenge doesn't deviate from established entries much at all, but a good part of its overall enjoyment I believe came from its presentation as a drug-induced fever dream. It's a female-empowerment fantasy through and through. The horrific theme was of course in great part from the main character's rape scene, but a lot of the uneasiness came from the various injuries inflicted on the characters (and how they dress their wounds). It's gnarly and somewhat realistic.

Revenge is littered with moments of symbolism, many of which I'm sure I missed. This is certainly something that you watch more than once, and the film invites discussion due to the fact that it leaves the audience questioning whether or not it even happened the way it did. Hell yeah for women-directed horror, I hope to see more in the coming months/years.

Pros:
  • Visually stunning
  • Visceral bodily injuries (Glass, man...)
  • Smart presentation
Cons:
  • Movie kinda just ends...but maybe that was the point
  • One scene in particular literally had a character shout the moral of the story and I couldn't understand why they thought that we, the audience, couldn't sus that out ourselves
4 out 5 - Recommended

So Far...
  1. As Above, So Below (2014) 4 out of 5
  2. The Strangers (2008) 3 out of 5
  3. Better Watch Out (2013) 3.5 out of 5
  4. The Thing (1982) 5 out of 5
  5. Trick r Treat (2007) 3 out of 5
  6. Terrifier (2017) 2.5 out of 5
  7. Revenge (2017) 4 out of 5

Last edited:

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
watched so far (*=not new, or "new" i.e. haven't watched it in effectively forever)

The Howling 3/5
Christine 4/5
Return of the Living Dead 3 3/5
Fright Night 2011 4/5
Carnival of Souls 3.5/5
Sleepy Hollow* 3.5/5
Scream* (though it's probably been quite a few years..) 4/5
Black Sabbath 3.5/5
Creepshow 2 3.5/5
Halloween 4 2/5 (yes I changed my score)
Halloween 5 1/5

The Burbs - probably in the 200+ times I've seen this movie. Blows me away how this movie is at like 44% on Metacritic. Easily one of my favorite movies.. and while watching the movie I was reading a lot of trivia and facts on it.. Apparently Hanks wasn't the greatest to work with.. but he was also easily the star of the movie. I also never knew that Ricky Butler's house was actually The Munster house (even more horror tie ins!!!) which is why it was never shown in its entirety. Joe Dante imagined if his house was shown it would be instantly recognized. 5/5

ok, rented Halloween 6 and 8 last night... that's $8 Ill never get back.. regardless..

Halloween 6 - I was expecting this to tie with Halloween 5 as the worst horror movie I may have ever seen. Surprisingly... it ws overall better than 5. SIGNIFICANTLY better filmmaking, nothing so stupid as the man in black that played NO PART (he was in it.. and revealed). Overall the story was more stupid than 5.. much more. But the overall movie was a slightly better quality. 5 is 1/5 (simply because I won't go to a .5/5 or lower). This is like a 1.5/5.. or maybe still a 1/5 but not quite as bad as 5.

Halloween 8 - HERE is the movie that tied 5. I hate this fucking movie. Everything from the flavor of the month Busta Rhymes getting a RIDICULOUS hero role (yeah I spoiled it.. too bad), to JLC's meaningless death (yeah I spoiled that also).to half of the movie being shown in TERRIBLE early-00s webcam footage (this is supposed to be a web reality show). BUT then half of the webcam footage makes no sense because there wouldn't be a camera there.. UNLESS Michael went and posed stuff in front of a camera minutes after killing AND LEAVING the area.. only to mysteriously come back a while later to pose shit so it appears on camera. 1/5 equally as terrible as 5.. maybe more or less so. worse than 6 (which is still 1/5)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Halloween 5 was a bad movie, but to me it had great direction/visuals to it. It just was lost on such an awful and randomly put together script.

Maxwood

Oct 30, 2017
#10 IT (2017) 4/5
itwjdiy.jpg

Might be a bit too bombastic but it's a very well made movie with some surprisingly great acting kids. One of 2017's best.

#11 Event Horizon (1997) 4/5
eht6ebu.jpg

Damn, I wasn't prepared for those last thirty minutes. Did not see that coming. Really liked this one, great performance by Laurence Fishburne. Yeah, great surprise.

#12 Dracula (2006) 2/5
dqpcex.jpg

Soulless, very uninteresting film with a serious identity crisis. David Suchet as hermit Van Helsing was the most exciting thing about it. Skip it.

#13 The Evil Dead (1981) 3/5
edxner1.jpg

Wasn't planning on watching this but I got to rent a copy, so I kinda had to.
Not really my thing, as expected, but it's filled with lot's of creative shots and a shining Bruce Campbell.
I'm rather enjoying learning about how the movie was made though.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
13) Seed of Chucky (2004)

★1/2

yq6SG0m.jpg

Oh boy. In a spoof of the "Look Who's Talking" intro, the film opens with a truly atrocious CGI sequence that begins with Chucky's sperm on its way to fertilize an egg and ends with a doll fetus making its way out of a vagina and into bright daylight. Later, Chucky masturbates into a cup and uses a turkey baster to impregnate Jennifer Tilly (starring as herself because it's the early 2000s and Scream 3 happened). This one is so tongue-in-cheek that the tongue has already burst through the cheek and is headed for the exit.

Set in Hollywood but shot entirely in Romania on the cheap, which is never a good sign for a horror sequel, "Seed of Chucky" has lost all of the franchise's visual flair and goes all in on the gross-out humor. The obvious jokes, featuring all the tired Hollywood clichés you can think of, are so lame they almost physically hurt.

Let's take this little attempt at comedy: While watching an episode of "Access Hollywood", Chucky's offspring – at this point known as "Shitface" (don't ask) – recognizes his parents because they have the same "Made in Japan" stamp on their plastic arms. This realization is accompanied by a vaguely Asian-sounding gong sound. Yep, you know the one. Naturally, this also means that Chucky's brood insists on referring to his mother as Oka-san and eventually turns out to be a natural at karate. It's about as funny as it sounds.

These running gags overstay their welcome and are regurgitated ad nauseam, in lieu of any actual payoff. I commend Chucky mastermind Don Mancini for fully embracing his love for trashy camp, but the result is an asinine mess.

1) Terrifier (2018) ★1/2
2) Child's Play 2 (1990) ★★1/2
3) Motel Hell (1980) ★★★
4) Wolfen (1981) ★★1/2
5) The Devil's Candy (2015)
6) I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (2016) ★★★1/2
7) Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★1/2
8) Child's Play 3 (1991) ★1/2
9) Dead Night (2018) ★★
10) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
11) Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★
12) XX (2017) ★1/2

Last edited:

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
main.jpg

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  3. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
  4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  5. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (1964)
  6. Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  7. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  8. Son of Godzilla (1967)
  9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  10. All Monsters Attack (1969)
  11. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
  13. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
  14. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
  15. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
This one's a direct sequel to G. vs Mechagodzilla, and those nasty Black Hole aliens are back, this time plotting with a disaffected Japanese scientist to control Titanosaurus and launch a new and improved Mechagodzilla... Godzilla's only partners for this one are human; the Interpol agents working against the aliens and the scientists out to study Titanosaurus. Ishiro Honda directs and sees the Showa era of Godzilla films out on a fun-filled high note. Half-way through the month, and now I have the Heisei era G films to look forward to, including two of the best Godzilla movies to date, imho...​

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
4. Black Christmas (1974)

I've got some catching up to do. This was surprisingly a very effective and entertaining mid-70's slasher film.

4/5

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
KPj3aW6.jpg

13. And Then There Were None (1945) - A fantastic murder mystery about 10 people invited to an isolated mansion by a secretive host. Quickly they end up getting knocked off one-by-one and they collectively try to discover who is behind the murders. Its just a really fun movie, with great characters, good humor, and a satisfying ending. Highly recommended. Its on Youtube if anyone is interested.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#15 The Howling (1981)

the_howling.jpg

We get 'em all: sun-worshippers, moon-worshippers, Satanists. The Manson family used to hang around and shoplift. Bunch of deadbeats!

My third werewolf film so far this month. From Gremlins' Joe Dante, we have The Howling. Following an experience with a mad stalker, a newscaster goes with her husband to a retreat in the country. Then things get hairy.

The obvious comparison is the other early 80s werewolf film with elaborate transformation effects, An American Werewolf in London. In contrast to that film's comedic bent, it's a much darker and frankly more dour affair. Though it is only 90 minutes, it feels like it moves rather slowly. That said, it has some pleasant late 70s feeling atmosphere, with its light synth soundtrack and grainy look.

The star would naturally be the werewolf transformation, but it's not actually seen on-screen until late in the film. The slow and detailed transformation is less of the painful stretching and contorting of American Werewolf in London, and more of a wolf slowly appearing under the skin of the person and moving outward. It's all very impressive and holds up great. However I don't find the werewolves are portrayed as all that threatening once they've transformed, they move very slowly and have a minute kill count in the film despite there being several of them. Cool design though.

I prefer American Werewolf overall, that film is simply more memorable to me. However this was a solid time. Werewolf fans give it a watch.

I see that there are many, many sequels to this. I'm going to take a chance and assume they are all terrible, and skip em.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
curse-of-werewolf-full-werewolf-transformation.jpg

#19 - Curse of the Werewolf (1961) (first time viewing) - My yearly dive into Hammer Horror. I always look forward to it. So far, nothing has really surpassed The Horror of Dracula, but I had no idea Hammer created only one werewolf movie. This should have been one of the better Hammer entries, but it ultimately falls short of what I expected.

A mute servant girl gives birth to a son on Christmas Day after she is raped by a jailed beggar. Her son Leon is adopted by the family who took her in after she dies giving birth. After a few goats from the village are found dead with their throats torn out, the family finds out that Leon is a werewolf. Leon's family is told by a priest that only love can keep the beast gone. That is, until Leon decides to make a life of his own as a grown man (played by the great Oliver Reed). However, once the next full moon appears, Leon can no longer control his urges. He becomes the wolf once again, and terrorizes the town.

For a 90 minute movie, this one certainly felt a lot longer. We don't even get a werewolf scene until well past the halfway mark of the movie. Before then, not a lot of horror, but disturbing events that surrounded the poor servant girl's life. Oliver Reed was a very handsome young man, and played his part perfectly. The werewolf designs were great for 1961, and we even got quite a few bloody scenes. But the pacing of the film just brought the movie to a standstill before it took way too long for the horrific events to come back. I would've liked for there to have been more emphasis placed on the werewolf and his actions rather than focus on characters that really don't matter (like the beggar and the Marquis).

This one felt empty to me. That being said, the werewolf scenes really stand out. I just wished there were more of them, and the pacing were a little tighter. Not a bad Hammer film, but I expected much more from their only werewolf offering.

6 children born on Christmas Day bearing the Mark of the Beast out of 10.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 18 - From A House on Willow Street

This is one of those films where the central idea (criminal gang kidnaps wealthy heiress only to find she's been recently possessed by a demon) is pretty cool, but the script doesn't do enough with it, so the resulting film feels a little thin. I did enjoy the movie, I just think there were more avenues it could have explored. It was also hampered by some crappy CGI in the final act, an occasionally confusing script and a cheat ending. On the plus side the first hour was nicely creepy, it had a good central performance from Sharni Vinson, and with a running time of only 83 minutes it didn't outstay its welcome.

Film 19 - Pumpkinhead

I really liked the southern gothic fairytale feel of this movie, and Lance Henriksen is always good to watch. I loved the creature design too, though I couldn't decide if it was cute or scary. I kept thinking it looked like a xenomorph in a Halloween costume. The script is a bit hackneyed though, with its dirt poor redneck kids taking their pig for a walk, and its arrogant city slicker types. Plus it was pretty clear what was going to happen with the story from about 20 minutes in. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Films I've watched so far

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Mummy (1932) (rewatch)
2. Extraordinary Tales (2013)
3. Justice League Dark (2017)
4. The Wicker Man (1973)
(rewatch)
5. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956)
7. It (2017)
8. mother! (2017)
9. The Void (2016)
10. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
11. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
12. The Mummy (1999)
13. Constantine (2005)
14. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
15. The Omen (1976)

This is a harrowing tale with great performances ultimately brought down by some over-the-top death scenes.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The Loved Ones

Something New: Revenge

So last nights movie was Dead Girl and it had its own shall we say, causes for discomfort. Tonight was the something new from down under and this was uncomfortable for a whole other set of reasons. At first glance, I kind of thought this would just be about the psycho girl, which it is, but there are quite a few other angles the story takes off with. Things get really intense at times. There's really no way to describe this but to describe it like I did Dead Girl. One watch is more than enough I think. There is a really good story in here, but its buried alongside a whole ton of torture porn. Excellent film, but deviant man. You don't watch this to have fun. You watch it because your a horror fan and want to see what the genre has to offer.

The Loved Ones gets a knife in each foot, a heart carved into its chest and a hole drilled halfway to the cerebral cortex.