Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
25. Wes Cravens New Nightmare

Gage from Pet Sematary and Nancy team up to fight Nightmare Freddy in this extremely meta entry. Honestly this is the best Nightmare on Elm Street since Dream Warriors. I enjoy seeing everyone try to portray fictional versions of themselves, and the idea of what makes Freddy in this world is really clever

9/10

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
RZEtT6S.jpg

21) Raw Force (1982) [Edward D. Murphy] (Oct 21)

"Hey, are you sure they barbecue them? They don't just boil them in a pot?"

Thomas Speer, a pure white leisure suit wearing Hitler lookalike believes he has the perfect get rich scheme. He trades kidnapped prostitutes to the cannibalistic monks of Warrior Island for chunks of jade from their mines. The monks believe they can use the flesh of women to resurrect the disgraced martial artists buried on their island and Speer uses the jade to make statues, which he sells for low prices to tourists. When the synergy of his plan is threatened by group of tourists, including the Burbank Karate Club, who wish take their cruise on a detour to visit the island, Speer and his band of misfit pirates set out to stop them. Yes, this is an actual plot to a movie that actually exists.

Karate, cannibals, zombies, explosions, gore and Cameron Mitchell. Raw Force fell out of the b-movie tree and hit every branch on the way down. This movie is NUTS. A true trash epic.
If that doesn't sell you, not only does it feature Cameron Mitchell, but Hope Holiday (who appeared in and produced many of Mitchell's later films), Jillian Kesner (Firecracker) and Vic Diaz (countless b-movies). Even genre regulars Jewel Shepard (The Return of the Living Dead) and Camille Keaton (I Spit on Your Grave) show up just long enough to be credited as "Drunk Sexpot" and "Girl in Toilet", respectively.
Still not sold? Did I mention the part where a guy jump kicks a fleeing truck? A truck! He jump kicks it!!!

Yes, Raw Force is a movie that actually exists and I loved it.

A beautiful schlock stew. 4 / 5

Lp39A00.jpg

Bonus 03) Masters of Horror - Dance of the Dead (s01e03) [Tobe Hooper] (Oct 21)

It's Tobe Hooper's (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) turn. I hated Dance of the Dead. Absolutely hated it. The direction was obnoxious, the plot was boring and the acting, with the exception of Robert Englund was pretty terrible. Perhaps there was an interesting message in Richard Matheson's original story, but it sure as hell didn't come across in Hooper's low budget bore.

Awful. 0.5 / 5

Last edited:

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
The Reflected Skin (1990). What a dark, bleak and unsettling film. 1950's rural America in the Bible Belt. A young boy thinks his neighbour is a vampire. It's not really about that! This is really atmospheric, nice photography, quite gothic. I recommend!

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#23 Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 - good/10
Second time watching, but It was a long time ago. I liked this more than Hellraiser but not by much. Hell is cool, and doctor/asylum horror stuff is almost cheating. They made the teeth guy look different, almost like an animal, and I don't like it. The 4 original guys go out like jobbers, and the doctor cenobite is too goofy looking.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 21Doom Asylum

Kzlb4tn.png

All the way through this daft, shoddy load of old rubbish I kept telling myself to turn it off and choose a different film, but something kept me watching. Billed as a comedy slasher, this is a laugh-free, dim-witted movie only really notable for being set entirely during the day, which is still quite unusual for a horror movie. It probably wasn't a wise choice though, as the daylight revealed just how bad the make-up effects on the villain were (badly applied modelling clay hastily scored by a fork, from the look of it).

With the exception of Sex and the City's Kristin Davis, seen here in her movie debut, the acting throughout is dire, and the plot – concerning a 'dead' car crash victim who wakes up horribly disfigured mid-autopsy and thus turns psycho-killer – is just nonsense. And yet I watched to the end. Obviously I tried to pretend to myself that it wasn't the presence on screen of Frankenhooker's Patty Mullen that kept me gawking... but it probably was her, to be honest.

Films I've watched so far

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
25. Vampyros Lesbos (1971)

With a title like that, I figured this movie would be more interesting than it was. When Franco indulges in the more stylized psychedelic elements it can be fun - lurid lighting, scorpions, blood running down a window pane - but large portions of this film consist of boring conversations in uninteresting, flatly lit rooms, in the service of a narrative that is boring at the best of times and practically nonexistent at the worst; I mean it really sputters out by the end and just sort of grinds to an excruciating halt. The groovy psychedelic score does a further disservice to the film, because it's often more interesting than what we're seeing on screen. The lesbian element felt pretty lame even for a genre/era in which these lesbian vampire films were for the most part tailored to straight male sensibilities. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair watching this after binging a lot of Rollin films, but there's just rarely any atmosphere or tension to be found here. Just watch The Shiver of the Vampires and The Velvet Vampire instead. 4/10

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not going to make the 31 movies by the end of October but whatever, I'll make it two months of spooky goodness.

24th of October update.

DHJDjpI.jpg

Antebellum.
It's if someone saw a Jordan Peele movie and thought hey I can do this too. Except they didn't and the movie falls apart really fast after the twist and just ends.

The Conjuring 2
Starting to really like the Conjuring movies, fantastic cinematography and suspense and effects, The Warrens make these movies special and the chemistry between WIlson and Farmiga is fantastic.

Annabelle Creation
A bit sloppy but big improvement over the first Annabelle, but like all the other Conjuring and Annabelle movie, they should have never shown the actual generic Buffy The Vampire looking demon every time, he just looks goofy and distracting. The unknown and imagination is always more terrifying than the actual presentation.

The Blob 1988
Don't think I ever saw this one in it's entirety but fantastic 80's horror flick with a lot of good practical effects.

House (Hausu 1977)
I only remember the cat from short clips but holy moly, this sure was a movie.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
19. The Addams Family

I was never the biggest fan of the movies even back in the 90s. But Wednesday is always such a mood. It's still a safe family night movie.

20. Blackcoats Daughter

I don't think it took me that long to figure out the twist but it didn't ruin the atmosphere or the fact that
Kat is just straight up evil.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
26. Female Vampire (1973)

Jesus, Jesús. I knew the basic "plot" description, but there's really nothing more to it than that. One bonus point for Lina Romay, who sure as hell commits to the role, for what it's worth. 2/10

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMTQ4Yjk5ODEtNGFkOS00OTY1LTgwYTYtOTFkNmU2NzBmNGM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_.jpg

41. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
I really enjoy this movie. I love the setting, the music, the atmosphere and the cast is terrific. I haven't seen it in probably 10 years and it aged a lot better than I was expecting.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything in Wishmaster that is Andrew Divoff or gonzo gore special effects offers such hammy delights that the rest of the film becomes easier to sit though in anticipation.
You certainly have a way with words. 😆 Perfect description of that film, thanks for the laugh!

Learned afterwards that this has the same writer as Hellraiser 2
Holy christ what a fucking connection, it really makes so much sense! This is the trajectory of this writer's encapsulation of the demon narcissist out to ruin people's lives! 😂

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Day 23 - Ring, 1998 (NEW)

n9Cek7W.gif

I dug this one a lot! The fact that the film (or, at least, the American remake of the film) has seeped so far into pop culture made it pretty unscary, but it's just a really great ride. The core mystery is engaging, and they unravel it at a good pace. The characters are pretty one-note, but are enough to carry things forward. It's just fun. I particularly loved the "I copied it!" twist at the end - but my immediate reaction was that she copied the ghost, creating a duplicate that isn't necessarily tied to the physical body of Sadako, which frankly would be a MUCH better sequel hook than the "pass it along like an STD" bit.

I particularly loved the analog nature of the whole thing. "Memetic horror" has taken off more in the internet age, but Ring is pleasingly physical, even with cell phones about. VHS tapes, tube TVs, wired phones, newspapers, books, photographs... it makes the movie, and Sadako, sort of grounded. I don't think a purely digital urban legend would hit quite the same way.

My only question is... where the fuck do you go with the sequels? There's two branching paths? Both of them seem to have kind of an iffy reception? And they both have their own separate sequel series? And then there's a crossover movie, and a prequel? Maybe I'll try Rasen AND Ring 2 and compare/contrast...

WEEK 1 - 100 Years of Horror
Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde | Bonus: Häxan

WEEK 2 - Creature Features
Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man & The Invisible Man Returns | Bonus: The Invisible Man

WEEK 3 - In Living(?) Color
The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The War of the Gargantuas, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria & House | Bonus: The Love Witch

WEEK 4 - Blood, Guts, and Videotape
Videodrome, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Cronos, Funny Games, Ring

Big Ringu fan here. Timeline are as goes:

Ring 0 / Ringu / Rasen
Ring 0 / Ringu / Ringu 2 / Sadako
Sadako 3D / Sadako 3D 2 / Sadako Vs. Kayako

Some sources say Sadako 3D is a sequel to Rasen but that doesnt make sense once you actually watch the films.

Ringu 2 and Sadako 2019 have the original director returning.

Theres also a TV movie from 1995 which is closer to the book.

Personally I think Ring 0, Ringu and Sadako 3D 2 are the best films.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Ring 0 / Ringu / Rasen

Some sources say Sadako 3D is a sequel to Rasen but that doesnt make sense once you actually watch the films.

Hey thanks for this. I plan on digging a bit deeper into the Ring series of films. I dont normally care for many horror sequels but I think id like to watch a couple.

Is that Sadako vs Kayako any good?

coma

Oct 28, 2017
34. The Evil Dead (1981, Sam Raimi) ★★★★
35. Evil Dead II (1987, Sam Raimi) ★★★★★½

Been awhile since I had seen these. Still prefer the over the top dumb fun of the sequel.

01. Cat People (1942, Jacques Tourneur) ★★★★
02. The Burning (1981, Tony Maylam) ★★★★
03. The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton) ★★★★★
04. Village of the Damned (1960, Wolf Rilla) ★★★½
05. The Strangers (2008, Bryan Bertino) ★★★
06. Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, Robert Aldrich) ★★★½
07. The Invisible Man (1933, James Whale) ★★★★
08. The Black Cat (1934, Edgar G. Ulmer) ★★★★
09. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931, Rouben Mamoulian) ★★★★
10. Scream for Help (1984, Michael Winner) ★★★★
11. Sleepy Hollow (1999, Tim Burton) ★★★½
12. Amsterdamned (1988, Dick Maas) ★★★★
13. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995, Ernest R. Dickerson) ★★★½
14. The Conjuring (2013, James Wan) ★★★★
15. The 'Burbs (1989, Joe Dante) ★★★★
16. My Bloody Valentine (1981, George Mihalka) ★★★★
17. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland) ★★★★
18. What Have You Done to Solange? (1972, Massimo Dallamano) ★★★★
19. The Conjuring 2 (2016, James Wan) ★★½
20. The Hunger (1983, Tony Scott) ★★★½
21. Dracula (1992, Francis Ford Coppola) ★★★★½
22. The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976, Matt Cimber) ★★★
23. Salem's Lot (1979, Tobe Hooper) ★★★★
24. The Beyond (1981, Lucio Fulci) ★★★½
25. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979, Werner Herzog ) ★★★½
26. Angst (1983, Gerald Kargl) ★★★★½
27. The Shout (1978, Jerzy Skolimowski) ★★★★½
28. The Haunted Palace (1963, Roger Corman) ★★★★
29. The Sentinel (1977, Michael Winner) ★★★½
30. Vampire's Kiss (1988, Robert Bierman) ★★★½
31. Hands of the Ripper (1971, Peter Sasdy) ★★★½
32. Martin (1977, George A. Romero) ★★★★
33. Santa Sangre (1989, Alejandro Jodorowsky) ★★★★★

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
21. The Addams Family (1991)

Hey, might as well throw in some more light hearted fun spooks for the list, and the Addams Family can sure deliver that in spades. Never fails to amuse me on how the family just loves anything spooky or grim, and doesn't care on others thinking how bizarre they are. XD Beyond the gags relating to that (including Morticia enjoying some torture later lol), there are some sweet stuff about family in film, as Fester supposedly comes back as part of a scheme, and yet whether he is actually Fester or not, he just ends up bonding with the family.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Salem's Lot put me in a mood to rewatch some of my favorite vampire films:

#28 - Fright Night (1985): One of the finest horror and horror comedies ever made. It is quick paced, witty, funny, sad, sensual, tense, and wildly entertaining. Jerry Dandridge is still my favorite overall vampire. 9/10

#29 - Innocent Blood (1992): I used to sneak off and watch this over stolen HBO when I was a kid. Lots of great gore, good comedic moments, some silly effects (although the multi-colored eyes for vampires with no fangs used the scare the hell out of me), nice cameo appearances by some horror greats, and good acting (especially by the late great Robert Loggia). Still one of my favorite vampire films ever. 8.5/10

#30 - Vamp (1986): Grace Jones still makes for the most terrifying vampire that I've ever seen. The film is a bunch of goofy, gory, low budget fun with some nice effects. I also love the gritty nature and the sets being bathed in neon lights. A vampire film that I feel doesn't get enough respect. 7.5/10

#31- Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 (1987): I don't know if I can say that this is one of my favorite horror sequels ever because it has zero to do with the original Prom Night film. But on its own, it makes for a pretty effective horror film with a mostly unknown cast (not counting Michael Ironside). Mary Lou is a pretty cheesy villain, and a lot of the comedic bits just do not land. However, it makes up for it by having some inventive death scenes, and good effects work. 7/10

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
22. Theater of Blood (1973)

What if Vincent Price was a Shakespearean actor who plots on killing a group of critics, and has a bunch of homeless people helping him. XD Beside Vincent being quite remarkable and hammy with Shakespearean lines, this film has a bunch of deaths that relate to different plays, and offers a nice variety of them as a result. A lot of them are pretty cool actually, and some of them are quite wonderfully gruesome. Overall it was great seeing Vincent's character and co luring each critic with a setup and kill relating to a particular play. Also I guess the actress that played the daughter ended up being his future wife.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
d478ff58e2377bee143cbe7efaa8f29b.jpg

24. Veronica (2017)

Madrid, 1991. A teen girl finds herself besieged by an evil supernatural force after she plays a Ouija board with her classmates.

This is a decent Spanish horror film. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, we're dealing with another "mess around with a Ouija board and get possessed" type of story. But it does provide some great moments and the demon looks interesting enough. The ending is very WTF. True horror stories are when the monsters win, after all.

👻👻👻 out of 5

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
20. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Night_of_the_Living_Dead_%281968%29_poster.jpg

Few subgenres have stuck so closely to its roots as the zombie subgenre, and "Night of the Living Dead" is where it all began. For all the films, books, comics and tv shows that have sprung up since Romero's fearless classic, you will most likely find a similar premise with a similar execution: A group of diverse survivors all coalesce in a small location as they attempt to ward off a horde of undead flesh eaters that can't be killed by anything but a severe brain injury. Exposition will be delivered diagetically through television and radio. Despite initial efforts to stay safe, human error and paranoia eventually break down all defenses and the story climaxes with the survivors getting overrun and attempting one last push for survival. Despite a few growing pains (these zombies are a bit more pragmatic than their successors and have a Frankenstein like aversion to fire) it's all here.

But instead of being swept underneath the cottage industry that it spawned, "Night of the Living Dead" endures thanks to its focus on its characters and its aforementioned fearlessness. Despite the gruesome premise, most of the focus is on the characters and their conflicts. It manages to avoid caricature by making all the involved parties have understandable and justifiable motives. So while we might naturally side with the heroic Ben when he argues to stay in the house and prepare to leave, Mr Cooper's assertion to stay in the cellar also seems reasonable (and ultimately, correct).

The casting choice of Duane Jones, a black man, as Ben adds a layer of tension to the film despite it never explicitly calling attention to the racial dynamics at play. The idea of a single black man attempting to establish control over a group of white people in 1968 says all it needs to without saying it outright. To say nothing of its ending, which is still as shocking, infuriating, and audacious today as it was then. Somehow, the most chilling figures in the film aren't the zombies, but the roving band of cops and good ol' boys, here to forcefully take control and establish dominance in tumultuous times, no matter who gets in the way. It was true then and is still true now.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#23. The Nun - That nun sure was creepy looking. The film started out pretty well. The opening was intriguing, it looked really nice, the characters they introduced seemed decent and well acted and the setup of investigating this weird convent was interesting. It quickly falls into simply ushering us between scenes of random scary crap happening with little coherence. There's lots of jump scares; while some are reasonably effective, it eventually grew tiresome. I'm OK with The Conjuring universe being a framing device for period piece horror but they should really have a decent story first and foremost rather than just a bunch of creepy scenes. There was a brief flashback scene to the convent's history in the Middle Ages which seemed like it could have been a better story than what we got here. Still though, that nun was pretty creepy looking.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ring 0 / Ringu / Rasen

Interesting! Good to know. I did think Ring 0 sounded interesting, I found the Sadako backstory the most compelling part of the original by far, so I'll be sure to check that out. I expect I'll probably end up trying a lot of them though, here and there - something about the universe just hits the right notes for me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
26. The Karens Witches

The_Witches_%281990_film%29.png

I heard this movie scarred a bunch of people for life and since the new one just came out I decided to give this one a watch. First things first this definitely has the feel of a Roald Dahl story. The makeup on the head which is nuts. That unmasking scene would have definitely freaked me out as a kid. Anjelica Houston does a good job. It's funny seeing this after Addams Family. A tale about a bunch of angry white ladies who strike down anyone who inconveniences them and complain to management on a near constant basis. I think this is closer to Matilda-tier than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory tier Roald Dahl sure does hate fat kids, doesn't he

8/10

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018
Have you guys played the new Puppet Combo game?

www.resetera.com

Puppet Combo's Games |OT| PS1-Styled Grindhouse Horror Extravaganza OT

Puppet Combo's Website WARNING: These games include violent, disturbing and cruel content that may not be suitable for all audiences. I've been meaning to make a thread on this dude for a while, he's maybe one of the most consistent and yet ambitious indie horror game developers out there...

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey thanks for this. I plan on digging a bit deeper into the Ring series of films. I dont normally care for many horror sequels but I think id like to watch a couple.

Is that Sadako vs Kayako any good?
It kinda drags in the middle but it is watchable. The only one I find entirely unwatchable is the first Sadako 3D which makes it amazing I enjoyed the sequel/
Interesting! Good to know. I did think Ring 0 sounded interesting, I found the Sadako backstory the most compelling part of the original by far, so I'll be sure to check that out. I expect I'll probably end up trying a lot of them though, here and there - something about the universe just hits the right notes for me.
Yeah Ring 0 is really good. Rasen and Ringu both started off strong but the 3rd act kind of fell apart. Would love to hear your thoughts.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 24 - House of 1000 Corpses, 2003 (NEW)

hn9tRui.gif

This doesn't really feel like a movie. I mean, it's a movie, obviously, but it doesn't FEEL like one. It doesn't have a point. It's setting is arbitrary. Its full of distracting visual effects. It's characters are flat and unlikable. You don't go anywhere, you don't get anything from it, it resists any attempt at analysis.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it, but: this movie is a haunted house. You know, like the physical one, the type you go through with some friends. The type they go through at the start. It's incoherent and inexplicable, you just sort of wander through it and accept that there's no real logic. It's just going from one gross, spooky, unpleasant scenario to another. You take it in, you feel a little rattled, you move on to the next thing. You enjoy the production putting on, then you go on and do something else. In that sense, it's very successful, and I can only imagine that as a physical attraction, the "Firefly House" would do gangbusters. (And Google says it was turned into one! Damn I'm good.)

I didn't love it, though I can see why others might. It has an undeniable charisma. Sig Haig as Captain Spaulding definitely embodies the ethos of the film more than anyone else. He's offputting and garish, but damn if he's not a character.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Day 23 - Ring 2, 1999 (NEW)

TXP9qJ3.gif

I had an extra couple hours and was in the mood so fuck it, Ring 2. May try Rasen at some point, but it seems like less of a direct sequel so it's down the line.

Some movies have good ideas, but just end up executed sloppily. Ring 2 has (mostly) bad ideas, executed boringly. It mostly gives up on the mystery/sleuthing angle of the first, trying it for a focus on parapsychology that just leaves the film feeling unfocused. The cast is even less dynamic than in the first, and some plot choices are pretty baffling. And, aesthetically, it just feels worse overall.

It's not without some bright spots; pretty much everything with Sadako's grandfather is interesting, for example. And I think it's scarier than the first in a lot of ways. But it mostly just feels like untapped potential.
Oh didn't realise you did Ring 2. Honsetly it started of good but they just lost stream halfway through.

Rasen is literally a direct sequel. Takes place right after the 1st one alala Halloween 2.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
26. Carnival of Souls (1962) - For it's age, this film stands up rather well. It's incredible what quality was accomplished with such a small budget here. I really enjoyed the ballroom scene with the ghosts especially, it was eerie and really stuck with me.
27. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - This was quite a departure from the feel of the first movie. This almost felt like a parody of a horror movie at times, and some of the more over the top aspects of the film I really enjoyed. A fun ride from start to finish.
28. House of 1000 Corpses (2003) - This film was a rewatch for me. It feels almost like an homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the shared story element of a family of maniacs living in a secluded area. Overall I think this film is a fine, fun, gory haunted house attraction of a horror movie.

Full list so far in spoilers:

1. House (1977) - This was quite the fever dream of a film. The editing was really unique and entertaining, and I feel a lot of the choices in editing made me enjoy the film much more than I would've otherwise. It was strange, comical, and very memorable.
2. Eyes Without a Face (1960) - This was a film I'd been meaning to watch for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I feel black and white really suited this, and color would have been a detriment, especially during the surgery scene. The mask also looked wonderfully creepy, and the mad-doctor-trying-to-fix-his-daughter plot was simple but really good.
3. The Brood (1979) - This was a solid film. The ending scenes really saved it for me even though I felt the child actress that played the daughter was a bit weak. The army of mutated children that just killed anyone based on Nola's rage were pretty creepy. I kept thinking about Don't Look Now whenever I saw them. The small amounts of body horror mixed in, especially at the climax, were well done.
4. Scanners (1981) - I decided to have a small Cronenberg marathon Friday night. I had only seen Videodrome before now, which I really liked, so I decided to watch more of his work. Scanners was definitely more sci-fi than horror, but like in The Brood there was some body horror mixed in. As a sci-fi film I enjoyed this, but as a horror movie both Videodrome and The Brood were far better.
5. Eraserhead (1997) - This was surreal. Definitely oozing David Lynch's style. I feel like I might have to watch this again sometime to really figure out how I truly feel about it. There was a lot going on and a lot to take in. It seemed to be about fear of parenthood, but I feel like there may be more to it than just that.
6. The Thing (1982) - I'm a big fan of John Carpenter, and this is my favorite movie I've watched so far for this marathon. There were so many memorable scenes and the creature effects were phenomenal. The isolation of the setting, as well as trying to figure out who was no longer human made for a suspenseful and fun watch.
7. The Binding (2020) - This was just very average and forgettable. It's your basic evil-entity-tries-to-take-over-a-kid-and-the-family-has-to-save-them story. It did surprise me with some red herrings since the original direction I thought the film was going was slightly different. It was competent. I really don't have much to say about this one. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special.
8. Witchboard (1986) - This was also pretty average, but I enjoyed the fact it was a ouija board story that centered around adults and not teens or children. This really didn't have much going for it other than that though. The characters were very stereotypical, but there was a bromance aspect going on that I thought was kind of fun. I wish there had been more campy deaths though, since the spirit killed people with a hatchet.
9. The Loved Ones (2009) - Tonight was a night of re-watches, starting with this little Australian gem. Filled with dark humor and some pretty messed up torture, I still really enjoyed this film after years removed from seeing it.
10. Excision (2012) - This film I have mixed feelings on. The performance by the lead actress is great, and the dark humor and plot itself I think make for an interesting film. Like Akumatica I also feel like the ending is unearned. Shit goes from 0-100 with how crazy this girl is and explodes in the ending scene. It would definitely be a stronger, shocking finale if she had shown herself or her visions becoming more and more extreme (though her fantasies/dreams were pretty messed up, but she barely acted on anything until the end).
11. Fright Night (1985) - This was a fun little flick! I love the 80's aesthetic, and I enjoyed the fake TV vampire hunter the main character hunted down to help him; I thought that was a really fun idea. The effects were also pretty solid. Overall a fun film, of course not very scary though.
12. The Final Girls (2015) - This had some fun moments. I enjoy movies that play on slasher tropes and this movie's plot was full on that. The final fight I didn't love just cause it was so over the top, but overall I thought it was a fun little film.
13. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - A rewatch for me. I enjoy this movie as a sort of haunted house attraction type film. You have different ghosts and demons throughout different parts of the movie and the main characters go from dealing with one thing to the next. It's simple fun but nothing special.
14. Crimson Peak (2015) - Another rewatch, but I haven't seen this since it came out. Definitely not a scary film, but an enjoyable and atmospheric Gothic romance with a touch of the supernatural.
15. Puppet Master (1989) - This gave me some Child's Play vibes, but I mean any movie with a killer doll/puppet that runs around makes me think of that. I really enjoyed the different puppets and watching them kill off the cast; not sure if it's something I'd watch again though.
16. The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - This was more of a thriller than a horror film and I honestly did not like it. I debated turning it off halfway through but I wanted to give the full movie a chance. I did and it was definitely meh.
17. Nocturne (2020) - This is one of the four movies Blumhouse released on Amazon this month. I actually quite liked this film. It reminded me of Starry Eyes, which is another horror film in a similar vein about the pressures of being in a competitive arts field. This isn't a particually scary film or anything; it's more of a drama with a small supernatural element to it. It was way better than I expected, given it was a Blumhouse film that went straight to Amazon Prime.
18. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - I've never been big on Friday the 13th; there's not a lot of substance in the series (not that there has to be, I just prefer movies like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street when it comes to slashers). I enjoyed the watch overall -- it was a campy teen horror flick, though I doubt I'll revisit it.
19. Wishmaster (1997) - I enjoyed all the special effects and body horror that was prominent in this film; it looked great and there was some pretty disturbing stuff in it. The plot was okay, but I wasn't too invested in that aspect.
20. Swallow (2019) - This is more of a psychological drama than pure horror, but I definitely felt a bit squeamish seeing the stuff the main character decided to swallow. Really good movie overall with a lot to explore involving the main character's struggles. It also was a stylish, well shot, and gorgeous film aesthetically.
21. Society (1989) - Another body horror film, but this time about the rich literally feeding on the lower class. This won me over with how crazy the ending section was.
22. Hell House LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) - I had no idea they made a sequel to the original Hell House LLC (which was just an okay horror film) but oh man this was completely unneeded. Some of the acting was pretty awful, and I don't remember having that complaint about the first. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched but I wouldn't recommend it.
23. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - I hadn't seen this in years and it was an enjoyable rewatch. I enjoy Tim Burton's style most of the time (minus those Alice in Wonderland movies), and though this isn't quite a scary film I think it's a nice gothic horror story. Overall it's a fun, stylish take on the story of the headless horseman.
24. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) - A rewatch for me, but a nice and creepy revisit overall. I really enjoy the way the story of this film unravels itself; I love a good slow burn horror film and this is definitely one of them.
25. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) - Well this was awful. Really a great example of a sequel that had no reason to be made (other than to make money). The preacher guy was slightly creepy I guess, and the acting was fine across the board; that's really the only positive points I can think of.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
37. Evil Dead (2013, Fede Alvarez) ★★

The nonexistent characters of the original are somehow more compelling than the bland/annoying ones added here.

36. Army of Darkness (1992, Sam Raimi) ★★★★

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#24 - The Room

giphy.gif

Not to be confused with Wiseau's magnum opus.

The Room is an interesting film with some really neat ideas, though a couple hiccups bring it down a notch. I like the premise - a room that can grant wishes, then chaos ensues as it backfires. A simple idea but one that works well enough.

Unfortunately some weird writing hampered my enjoyment. Characters make some dumb moves throughout the film, most noticeably during the climax. I still thought The Room was okay, though I feel some better directing could've turned this 'okay' movie into a great one.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
21. It Comes at Night

I remember this movie getting panned pretty harshly by the general audience, even if the critics reviewed it well. Called it boring and monotonous but the slow burn is what made this film enjoyable. Haven't felt paranoia like that since I played through TLOU2 earlier this year. I have my own theories about the illness but I absolutely would not have allowed visitors. Felt like I was watching a movie that reminded me of the pandemic, at times. Thumbs up.

22. Geralds Game

For the longest time I thought this movie was similar to 50 Shades of Grey and I wrote it off for so long because of that. Glad to see it was nothing alike and while the trope of being confined to one area for 90 minutes isn't some unique concept of a movie, I still enjoyed my run with it. However, I don't think I can handle body horror in a non-comedic sense anymore. Certain parts just made me want to fast forward. Still recommended though.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Host tho... I love it when movies have that spooky side shit that is so easy to miss if you're not paying close attention and when you do see it it gives you fucking shivers haha well done

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
23. Slice

I throw in campy films during my marathon but this was bordering on too cheesy. No pun intended. No wonder why I barely saw any sort of promos for it from A24 when this first released.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#24 Scream 4 - good/10
First time watching. Has fun with the meta stuff like the other movies. I loved the intro. Works great as a soft reboot. Gets a little silly towards the end, but that's Scream.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Watched I Saw the Devil and Terrified tonight. A foreign double feature.

I very much like I Saw the Devil. What a fucking ride that thing was. My god.

Terrified was merely okay. I feel like the overly bombastic music and sound effects really ruined what were some otherwise great scares. Less is more sometimes. I was really out of it by the end.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 22Horror Express

vR4c6Iu.png

This wonderful 1972 spooky sci-fi mystery thriller is easily the best film I've seen this month. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are magnificent as a pair of scientists, rivals but also colleagues, investigating a strange series of deaths on board a train crossing the wintery Siberian wastes. The trail seems to lead to the frozen ape-man fossil that anthropologist Lee is transporting back to London for study.

Based on the same source material as The Thing, this movie plays out like a period version of Carpenter's classic mashed up with Murder on the Orient Express. Packed with thieves, spies, mysterious countesses and an intense, Rasputin-esque Russian Monk (Alberto de Mendoza, stealing every scene he's in), the film just gets better and better as it goes along. It's beautifully shot, the acting's great, and considering its age, the effects are pretty good too. The third act arrival of a wild-eyed vodka-swilling Cossack captain, played to perfection by Telly Savalas, is just the icing on the cake.

Definitely one for the rewatch pile. I loved every minute of it.

Films I've watched so far

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

23. Snow White: A Tale of Terror (1997)
vMObdJK.jpg

Not sure where is this coming from as it's on Netflix here, but apparently it's a Showtime movie? As per title, this is basically a more adult version of Snow White story where instead of 7 dwarves, it's 7 dudes consists of a rapist, abuser, and bunch of other nonsense (seriously, they never properly introduce themselves). I like the part that it give reason why the step mother hated Snow Whi--- wait, she's called Lilli in this. But then the movie become this meandering mess where stuff are happening without any clear reason or explanation behind them ---- which I'm guessing they expect you to follow because it's a Snow White story. The romance is pretty creepy too because the actress was 16 at the time and looks super young. The 3rd act that are heavy with the horror elements is pretty fun, but it's way too short. Such a waste of Sigourney Weaver, Sam Neil and great looking set design in amateur hour of a movie.

1.5/5

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMWEwMDU3MWUtZTdiMy00Yjg5LWFiNWYtYTRmZGExNzk5YjQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTUwOTkzMzY@._V1_.jpg

42. The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)
A disappointing and unnecessary sequel to the surprisingly good original. It turned the camp up to 11 but it was trying way too hard to be "out there and crazy."

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
27. The Blood Spattered Bride (1972)

My journey through loose Carmilla adaptations from the 70s continues. This one is a very slow burn that more or less pays off. I admire the choice to focus on building the psychological angle for so long, and it's mostly sustained by its atmosphere and uncomfortable interactions between characters, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't occasionally drag during its 100 minute runtime. I always enjoy films set in old castles though. By the end the title certainly proves to be accurate, though perhaps not quite to the degree one would expect. 6/10

28. Twins of Evil (1971)

Provides the action-packed cheese you generally expect from Hammer. Cushing and Thomas are satisfyingly hammy in their respective roles, although it's rather annoying that Cushing's character is cartoonishly evil yet is still given a heroic redemption arc. This is also probably the straightest (straight as in sexuality, not faithfulness to the text) Carmilla "adaptation" I've seen, which is odd considering the previous films in the Karnstein trilogy weren't so conservative. There's also not a ton of atmosphere, as it's mostly traded in for action and excitement, and people yelling at each other and killing each other; the eeriest part of the film is when the ghostly Carmilla makes an appearance and bites Karnstein (even that doesn't come close to matching the eeriness of the intro of Lust for a Vampire though), but then she's gone again and the focus shifts to evil Jimmy Fallon's reign of terror. Still, it's an entertaining film with amusing performances, fun gore, and some nice sets. 6/10

coma

Oct 28, 2017
38. Thesis (1996, Alejandro Amenábar) ★★★★

Best movie about snuff films since Hardcore?

36. Army of Darkness (1992, Sam Raimi) ★★★★
37. Evil Dead (2013, Fede Alvarez) ★★

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Day 24 - House of 1000 Corpses, 2003 (NEW)

hn9tRui.gif

This doesn't really feel like a movie. I mean, it's a movie, obviously, but it doesn't FEEL like one. It doesn't have a point. It's setting is arbitrary. Its full of distracting visual effects. It's characters are flat and unlikable. You don't go anywhere, you don't get anything from it, it resists any attempt at analysis.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it, but: this movie is a haunted house. You know, like the physical one, the type you go through with some friends. The type they go through at the start. It's incoherent and inexplicable, you just sort of wander through it and accept that there's no real logic. It's just going from one gross, spooky, unpleasant scenario to another. You take it in, you feel a little rattled, you move on to the next thing. You enjoy the production putting on, then you go on and do something else. In that sense, it's very successful, and I can only imagine that as a physical attraction, the "Firefly House" would do gangbusters. (And Google says it was turned into one! Damn I'm good.)

I didn't love it, though I can see why others might. It has an undeniable charisma. Sig Haig as Captain Spaulding definitely embodies the ethos of the film more than anyone else. He's offputting and garish, but damn if he's not a character.

Captain Spaulding carried both House and Devils Rejects for me. There's a couple of interesting moments in House, but otherwise the weird visual effects kill it for me. Seeing young Dwight Schrute in a horror movie is fun too.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BNDk1NzNhNDMtMDZhMy00Njg4LTlmZmMtOTJmZDFlODA5ZTdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQzNjU2Mzk@._V1_.jpg

43. Tragedy Girls (2017)
A fun little slasher comedy about two teenage girls who go on a killing spree for social media clout.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror 2020: #27/31
Marebito (2004) - ★★★

2jMVhk7.jpg

As an example of Lovecraftian/cosmic horror, this surprisingly didn't really work for me. Those aspects seemed somewhat tacked on, as if the disturbing voyeurism and utilitarian labyrinth of underground tunnels weren't creepy enough.

But as psychological horror, an unreliable visualization of a man lost in his own delusions and madness, Marebito was very uneasy and uncomfortable. Once what might be the truth begins to clash with vampiric ferals, mysterious watchers, hollow-earth subterranea, and an obsession with fear...then Shimizu's film becomes horrific. Shinya Tsukamoto is unsettlingly underplayed in the lead role.

31 Days of Horror 2020: #28/31
Pontypool (2008) - ★★½

ZkgHW0b.jpg

Pontypool is a thrilling performance-driven chamber-piece for half its runtime. Like a zombie outbreak precursor to this year's The Vast of Night, Pontypool is all about the performances, the interactions, the tinny distortion of incoming calls and an isolated perspective of an unnatural disaster. There's a genuine enjoyment to be found in the ensemble chemistry between Stephen McHattie's shock jock Grant Mazzy, Lisa Houle's station manager, and Georgina Reilly's assistant, as their night goes from mundane to madness.

Then Doctor Exposition literally crawls through the window, and Pontypool becomes an absurd (satirical?) siege with real-time rapid-fire commentary. Any unknown mystery or tension instantly dissipates; the bewildering oddness of the first half is replaced by nonsensical rules that seem to be improvised on the fly. When the film immerses us in bizarre details coming over the air and eerie unexplained behaviors, Pontypool's verbal viral infection is a vector for unsettling zombie horror. When the film tries to glean a message from its weirdness, tries to apply logic and survival tactics, Pontypool deflates, ending in a laughable whimper of a final act.

Oct 27, 2017
#27 Tigers are not afraid
Tigers+Are+Not+Afraid+Screenshot.jpg

This movie certainly does not pull any punches, and the ending hit me lot harder than I was expecting.
That final shot with the tiger made me tear up
Absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. The mix of magical realism, straight horror shots and abrupt bursts of unceremonious brutal violence add an additional layer to the very true to life portrayal of current events, showing it presented and interpreted through the more naive perspective of children trying to make sense of the chaotic world around them. I really liked the more ambiguous way it presents the more supernatural elements, leaving it up to the viewer exactly how much one interprets as being metaphorical/symbolic and how much is real in a literal sense.

# 28 Opera
e38ab59c03c6ac4893c145992ff2defaf6b48a18.gifv

This movie is non-sensical at times, but certainly entertaining throughout. Hits all the expected points of a good giallo movie, with wonderful framing of shots with beautiful costumes and color, soundscape with an "interesting " mix of synths, opera and metal to accompany the visuals, a convoluted who-dunnit story to sting a barely coherent narrative together as an excuse for wonderfully inventive fun kill sequences (most memorable for the use of needles-glued-to-the-hold-the-eyelids-open-trick, with the peek-through-the-door-peep-whole scene being a close second). The plot is merely serviceable, the dubbing is distracting and the acting pretty poor/overdramatic (not including the ravens, which displayed a wonderful amount of range of expressions. Truly the real mvps) The highs are high enough to make up for that, and I had a lot of fun with this one.

# 29 Martyrs
NV0LG1uvWloBBBPbpnG3vdEbPM0G6dz4Zt-3OlGc53CvMni9sdPFgKcbX7DLELjjbZ3GY_3OcIziVjJn9NghhKIt4LW54t3byZ2VXAKA842t6FJ9bCrm=w720-h405-rw

So I finally got around to watching this one after putting it off for >10 years as I was pretty sure it would just be an overall miserable time. I did enjoy the first half of the movie more than I had expected, as it had more traditional horror elements, and piecing together the "mystery" added some meaning and purpose to the graphic violence. I did check the run time at that point, and started thinking - how can there be nearly an hour more after this, before quickly realizing the route the movie was about to take.
"Torture-porn"-type movies have never really been my jam, and after a certain point it just feels repetitive; I start to feel numb, drained and emotionally uninvested. I will give it credits for giving the adding some seeds of intrigue/mystery back in terms of the details that deliberately go unexplained in the ending, but overall the second half is more of an unpleasant depressing slog, and I probably will never want to watch this again.