More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Movies watched so far said:

31 Days of Horror 2020: #5/31
Kuroneko (1968) - ★★★★

2eCxI3O.jpg

A tragic ghost story shrouded in whispering fog, where the specters are our vengeful protagonists and lustful samurai are the monsters that emerge from the shadows. ‪Kuroneko‬ opens upon an act of wordless savagery, rape and murder enacted with callous mocking disregard. Two women left to rot, until the arrival of a black cat delivers dark purpose. Now cloaked sirens await the woodland path, luring ignorable warriors to their doom and leaving torn throats in their wake.

Kuroneko touches upon bushido's hypocritical honor, the myth and violent reality of the samurai, women as victims empowered against cruelty. There's ironic tragedy in this tale of young Gintoki, of the ghostly Yone and Shige; uncaring authorities drive all towards despair beyond their control. But the sumptuous shadow-&-mist atmosphere, the placid eeriness and subtly uneasy effects, speaks louder than any character. Kuroneko's horror externalizes its spectral justice, the land as incorporeal and otherworldly as its souls. Upon a stage stained by black blood and blacker shadows, bodies move with ethereal grace, while forlorn forests shift in the background, hazily unmoored like its phantom avengers.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think I might like "Haunted House" horror films, often featuring ghosts, the most. You know, films where some of the best scares comes simply from doors suddenly closing.

Films in this category that I've enjoyed would be stuff like Hereditary, The Changeling, Poltergeist, The Conjuring.

Doesn't seem like a terribly popular sort of horror film nowadays though (aside from the Conjuring making it big). Does anyone have any recommendations for other haunted house ghost movies?

In addition to the other recommendations, The Others is along these lines. Not nearly as scary as the other movies, but it has its moments.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Human Centipede...just meh. It's actually boring and nothing really happens. Sticks 3 people together, arse-to-moufh, they look distressed (as you would unless you got to go at the front) and that's it. The mad surgeon looks moody and mental, the patients are understandably upset and there's a lot of crawling about. I think I'll stop there with the series. Will check out Feed next.
the first movie has a premise and nothing else. the sequel really brings it home.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
#3: Zombie for Sale (2019)
zombie_for_sale_blu_ray_tuonti.jpg

First surprise of the month. More of an comedy than horror, but for such an saturated genre as zombie movies are this one is pretty unique and feels like labor of love. If you're looking for some horror comedies with zombies I can recommend this one! (also One Cut of the Dead)

4 / 5
Zombie for Sale is fantastic. It needs more exposure, so hopefully others decide to check it out this month as well.

Same with I Am a Hero.
Thanks for recommendations, turns out this is streaming on Arrow's channel. Def checking it out tonight

the first movie has a premise and nothing else. the sequel really brings it home.
It's basically perverted trash Eyes Without A Face anyway, so just watch Eyes Without A Face instead

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1. Cemetary Man (N)
2. Scare Me (N)
3. Waxwork (N)
4. Mandy (N)
5. Spiral (2019) (N)
6. Final Destination (R)
7. Alive (N)
8. Nightmare on Elm St: Freddy's Revenge (R)
9. Event Horizon (N)
10. Lyle (N)

11. Brain Damage (N) - What a strange movie this is. Elmer the "villain" of the movie is an entertaining enough character though. Some scenes are a bit problematic for my taste.

12. Shark Night 3D (N) - I will commend em for trying something different with a shark movie, but eh wasn't my jam.

13. April Fool's Day (N) - Somewhere in the second act, I complained about the characters being given specific instructions and being killed off one by one because they wouldn't listen to to then the twist happened and really made me come around on the movie. What a fun and clever slasher.

14. Ginger Snaps (N) - Not your typical werewolf movie, but I think why I enjoyed it. The focus on the sisters' dynamic really made it for me.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
06. Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, Robert Aldrich) ★★★½

Baby Jane goes crazy in the south. Could've been a little shorter.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 05Dream Demon

t3Fl6n0.png

This 1988 British oddity feels a bit like Clive Barker cast-off , a kind of bargain bin Hellraiser (with a few sub-Elm Street shenanigans thrown in for good measure). It's quite fun though, especially whenever Timothy Spall's on screen, and there's some entertaining make-up and gore effects. The actual story – about the blurring of dreams and reality, and being haunted by your own younger self – is unfortunately pretty weak, and frequently confusing. I was as perplexed as most of the characters seemed to be regarding who was dreaming what, and how it was all connected. The film does try to explain itself by the end, but I wasn't really convinced.

Verdict: Not a complete waste of time, but also probably not one for the rewatch list.

Films I've watched so far

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 06The Wrath

eXkazk5.png

This is an engaging Korean period drama set in the 14th century that tells the story of a vengeful ghost haunting the home of a nobleman. When a beautiful young lady of humble birth joins the household to try and produce a male heir she sets off a violent chain of events, and soon there's an exorcist on the scene fighting to get rid of the evil spirit once and for all.

I really liked this movie. It's clever and colourful, with interesting characters and some good performances. I also really enjoyed the way it always seemed to be on the brink of spilling over into camp melodrama. I would have liked it to be a little spookier, and there were perhaps a few too many jump scares, but overall I thought it was pretty great.

Verdict: Definitely worth a watch

Films I've watched so far

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 5 - Dracula, 1931 (NEW)

IQmku0N.gif

I was surprised by how much I loved this movie. It's not perfect - ending is super abrupt, some strange and goofy effect choices (like what the fuck is with those armadillos?), but it holds up shockingly well. There's nothing I can say that a million other people haven't already.

But, my thoughts in short are that it's all thanks to the cast. You can toss around "iconic" and "legendary" and whatever else for Lugosi's Dracula, but it's just... a magnetic performance. One of the greatest of all time. The measured, diplomatic, thoughtful delivery of every poetic line with that underscore of menace. An underscore that, every now and then, bursts out an unnerves you, despite the tameness of the content.

But the thing is, the whole cast is just excellent. Frye's Renfield, almost as iconic as the lead at this point, with that manic smile and haunting laugh - almost every scare in the movie comes from this guy. Chandler's Mina deserves more credit, I think, as she really does a good job weaving between doe-eyed waif and manipulative hunter. Van Helsing and Seward as the wise old doctors, and even some good comic relief from the hospital steward. You couldn't ask for a better ensemble. I'd really like to watch the Spanish version at some point, but the criticisms I've seen mostly boil down to "cast isn't as good," and that's a strong mark against it.

Anyways, I've settled on a chronological month here, so I'll be going through the Universal staples over the next few days. Most of them are new to me, and whatever isn't may as well be because I can't remember them. Should be fun!

WEEK 1 - 100 Years of Horror
Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde | Bonus: Häxan

WEEK 2 - Creature Features
Dracula

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
some strange and goofy effect choices (like what the fuck is with those armadillos?)
Funny story, that. I heard it was because showing rats and mice on-screen in a film at the time was considered super unhygienic, audiences would just assume the set was filthy rather than understand it was because of the setting being in Dracula's ancient crypt, so they used opossums and armadillos instead.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Malevolent: some Netlix shit. I thought maybe a secret gem when I saw Florence Pugh was in it. This has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. Well, I kind of take that back, it wants to be a horror movie. So it clumsily hits several tropes and then says "done!" Also I've seen some dumb characters in horror movies, part of the fun. But one guy pulls a move in the last 5 minutes that had me rolling. Just don't.

Guy sneaks up on two villains, stabs one. Runs over and starts untying the final girl with no regard for second villain. Just, jobs done, lets untie you. Won't even check behind him.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
5. Frankenstein (1931)

1024px-Poster_-_Frankenstein_02.jpg

When compared to "Dracula", "Frankenstein" feels like a film that released a decade after that film instead of just a few months. Confidently made and surprisingly layered, James Whale's 1931 film is a fantastic exercise in cinematic storytelling. The film is just so dense and layered yet is never unclear or imprecise. The way the actors are staged is pitch perfect, even when the film starts to play with large crowds. The fantastic use of space as Whale and his cinematographer Arthur Edeson flaunt their command of the foreground and background and the way they use diegetic shapes like pillars and doorways to frame the images. While maybe not as experimental as Mamoulian's Jekyll and Hyde, it may have it beat in storytelling economy and scale.

On the performance side there are a few (not Karloff) standouts as well. It's nice to see Dwight Frye in his brief yet memorable turn as Fritz the hunchbacked assistant. Even more impressive is Colin Clive as Henry (not Victor?) Frankenstein, as he turns from the haughty barely sane scientist to the remorseful and determined hero. And of course there's the (non-credited) Boris Karloff as the iconic monster, who despite the limited screentime and lack of any spoken lines manages to imbue the creature with pathos and menace that it's no wonder it became so iconic, not just for Frankenstein but for all sympathetic monsters on film hereafter. Hindsight does make it sting a little, as Karloff's future roles makes one wonder how good he would have been as the vengeful scheming monster from the original novel.

It's a shame that this is yet another Golden Age horror film that felt the need to include flat and uninteresting Hollywood starlet actors as well, and the Baron Frankenstein character is utterly insufferable (why the hell does he get the last shot of the film), but make no mistake, this is a masterpiece.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
5. The Babysitter
9777ebc6bb792543034600600369ed91.jpg

This would be a hilarious double feature with Ready or Not. They have similar premises with different setups, but I feel like if you like one you'll like the other. They have the same brand of comedy and the characters are legit fun to watch. Effects are fine too.

8/10

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The Changeling - 1980

Changeling_ver1.jpg

Fantastic little haunted house story for those who have never seen it. George C. Scott plays a widower in grief who moves into a house haunted by a child who desperately wants vindication for his death.

It's a standard horror set up, but what really sells it is the performances from Scott and Trish Van Devere and the spooky atmosphere that permeates the whole film.

My dad showed this one to me when I was about 11 or 12 and it spooked me pretty good.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
What a POS Texas Chainsaw 2 is. Should I even bother with anything that came after in this franchise?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The Changeling - 1980

Changeling_ver1.jpg

Fantastic little haunted house story for those who have never seen it. George C. Scott plays a widower in grief who moves into a house haunted by a child who desperately wants vindication for his death.

It's a standard horror set up, but what really sells it is the performances from Scott and Trish Van Devere and the spooky atmosphere that permeates the whole film.

My dad showed this one to me when I was about 11 or 12 and it spooked me pretty good.

I also saw this when I was a little kid on TV and wowzers it scared the hell out of me at the time.
ball going down the stairs haunted me

Less scary as an adult but yeah still spooky.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I also saw this when I was a little kid on TV and wowzers it scared the hell out of me at the time.
ball going down the stairs haunted me

Less scary as an adult but yeah still spooky.
The wheelchair chasing the woman down the stairs legit gave me a fucking complex about old-timey wheelchairs. I saw one in a museum as a teenager and it gave me this feeling of absolute dread. Haha.

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
What a POS Texas Chainsaw 2 is. Should I even bother with anything that came after in this franchise?

No.
The 3rd one just just boring. Only redeeming the thing about it is Ken Foree.
The 4th is a nightmare. Only watch it if you have some kind of weird fetish that involves listening to Matthew McConaughey screaming and making an ass out of himself.
TCM 2003 is fun though, as is its prequel (though the prequel just repeats a lot of 2003)
Texas Chainsaw 3D is dumb and bad, but I kinda got a kick out of it.
I Haven't seen Leatherface.

TCM2 is great, though.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#5 - Dog Soldiers

giphy.gif

Kind of like Night of the Living Dead but with werewolves.

Had never heard of Dog Soldiers until a few months ago, turned out to be a pleasant surprise. A fun werewolf flick with some nice action scenes and a decent cast. The werewolves look great; practical effects are always a plus in my book. Fun movie.

Also had no idea that this comes from the guy who did The Descent and Doomsday. Neat.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
#5 - Dog Soldiers

giphy.gif

Kind of like Night of the Living Dead but with werewolves.

Had never heard of Dog Soldiers until a few months ago, turned out to be a pleasant surprise. A fun werewolf flick with some nice action scenes and a decent cast. The werewolves look great; practical effects are always a plus in my book. Fun movie.

Also had no idea that this comes from the guy who did The Descent and Doomsday. Neat.
My favorite werewolf movie and one of my favorite action-horror movies of all time. Dog Soldier is a modern genre classic IMO

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#5 The Collection - good/10
First time watching. Has a few problems similar to Saw 2; mainly that they go too big too quickly, and there are multiple protagonists so they feel more secure in a way. The Collector is established to have hundreds of victims in this movie, and I think it would have worked better if it was more reasonable. Very cool that this takes place on The Collectors turf. They made him significantly scarier with all the medical training they hint at, and the specimens and cadavers he has. Arkin is great. Ending is aced.

I hope they remember to give Arkin the scars he is supposed to have in the 3rd movie.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Day 5 Vampires vs the Bronx

I watched this because I thought I read comparisons to Attack the Block but I can't say I enjoyed my time with this one at all. Didn't care for the cast, and didn't care for the vampires

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
5. The Curse of Willow Song (2020)

Karen Lam is a bit of a local genre legend. She's incredibly adept at using horror and genre to critique social inequality and prejudice.

This is no different. A slow burn monster movie that has a brilliant final brutality. Shot in Black and White to effective results.

I've met Lam. She's brilliant

Another VIFF gem

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#5. The Platform - "I can't shit upwards". Ain't that the truth? Although you may feel beaten over the head by its metaphor, it's a cool concept that's done pretty well. Two people are confined to a floor in a building of many stories and once a day food is lowered down floor by floor. People on top get to stuff their faces while dwindling amounts are left for those in the floors below. The problem of making a feature length movie with these types of premises outside a shorter episode in an anthology TV show is that it will begin to fall apart as the metaphor gets stretched more and more thin. For the most part, I think the film does a decent job at keeping you interested. It helps that the third act has an understandable goal that shakes up the previous objective of just surviving while quickly introducing a likeable character. Soild movie. Recommended.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Excision_poster.jpg

7. Excision (2012)
A disturbed teenaged girl with goals of becoming a surgeon has erotic dreams of watching herself die violently, those of committing necrophillia and general splatter. She also wants to lose her virginity during her period.

Her Father is meek, her Mother is overbearing and uptight & her Sister is dying of cystic fibrosis.

Mild dark humor punctuates the heavy gore and scenes of being a misfit teenager who complains that her family can't afford to get her therapy (they have her talk to their priest, John Waters in a cameo, instead).

It takes an even darker turn at the end that either makes you reflect on the fact that her self destructive behavior was far more serious than the tone of the film let on, or that the film makers were throwing in an unearned scene as a shock.

I lean toward the later.

Uneven and mostly interesting for the gore.
=3 out of 5

3 & 4

Last edited:

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
9. The Loved Ones (2009) - Tonight was a night of re-watches, starting with this little Australian gem. Filled with dark humor and some pretty messed up torture, I still really enjoyed this film after years removed from seeing it.
10. Excision (2012) - This film I have mixed feelings on. The performance by the lead actress is great, and the dark humor and plot itself I think make for an interesting film. Like Akumatica I also feel like the ending is unearned. Shit goes from 0-100 with how crazy this girl is and explodes in the ending scene. It would definitely be a stronger, shocking finale if she had shown herself or her visions becoming more and more extreme (though her fantasies/dreams were pretty messed up, but she barely acted on anything until the end).

Full list so far in spoilers:

1. House (1977) - This was quite the fever dream of a film. The editing was really unique and entertaining, and I feel a lot of the choices in editing made me enjoy the film much more than I would've otherwise. It was strange, comical, and very memorable.
2. Eyes Without a Face (1960) - This was a film I'd been meaning to watch for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I feel black and white really suited this, and color would have been a detriment, especially during the surgery scene. The mask also looked wonderfully creepy, and the mad-doctor-trying-to-fix-his-daughter plot was simple but really good.
3. The Brood (1979) - This was a solid film. The ending scenes really saved it for me even though I felt the child actress that played the daughter was a bit weak. The army of mutated children that just killed anyone based on Nola's rage were pretty creepy. I kept thinking about Don't Look Now whenever I saw them. The small amounts of body horror mixed in, especially at the climax, were well done.
4. Scanners (1981) - I decided to have a small Cronenberg marathon Friday night. I had only seen Videodrome before now, which I really liked, so I decided to watch more of his work. Scanners was definitely more sci-fi than horror, but like in The Brood there was some body horror mixed in. As a sci-fi film I enjoyed this, but as a horror movie both Videodrome and The Brood were far better.
5. Eraserhead (1997) - This was surreal. Definitely oozing David Lynch's style. I feel like I might have to watch this again sometime to really figure out how I truly feel about it. There was a lot going on and a lot to take in. It seemed to be about fear of parenthood, but I feel like there may be more to it than just that.
6. The Thing (1982) - I'm a big fan of John Carpenter, and this is my favorite movie I've watched so far for this marathon. There were so many memorable scenes and the creature effects were phenomenal. The isolation of the setting, as well as trying to figure out who was no longer human made for a suspenseful and fun watch.
7. The Binding (2020) - This was just very average and forgettable. It's your basic evil-entity-tries-to-take-over-a-kid-and-the-family-has-to-save-them story. It did surprise me with some red herrings since the original direction I thought the film was going was slightly different. It was competent. I really don't have much to say about this one. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special.
8. Witchboard (1986) - This was also pretty average, but I enjoyed the fact it was a ouija board story that centered around adults and not teens or children. This really didn't have much going for it other than that though. The characters were very stereotypical, but there was a bromance aspect going on that I thought was kind of fun. I wish there had been more campy deaths though, since the spirit killed people with a hatchet.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
5. The Babysitter
9777ebc6bb792543034600600369ed91.jpg

This would be a hilarious double feature with Ready or Not. They have similar premises with different setups, but I feel like if you like one you'll like the other. They have the same brand of comedy and the characters are legit fun to watch. Effects are fine too.

8/10
So fucking good. And I enjoyed the sequel

Only been able to watch Hocus Pocus so far in October

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sticking with mostly family-friendly fare because I haven't really used Disney+ in a while. Tonight's offering...

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 4 stars. It's become an annual favorite for a reason: good performances, good songs, a nice whimsical tale, and it's all brought to the screen with wonderful, if occasionally dated, stop-motion animation. This thing's barely over 70 minutes and it flies by. Definitely one of the highlights of the season so far.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
30HOBERMANSUB1-superJumbo.jpg

Another example of a good movie that just so happens to be classified as horror. Cat People has you questioning from the very beginning when things are going to go awry.

A man meets a woman at the zoo and they're quickly taken with each other. She tells him about the village she's from in Serbia and how there were witches that could turn into cats. The stories frightened her as a child and due to the way cats act around her to this day, she believes herself to be cursed.

Cat People is about 80% romance/drama and 20% horror and i love it for that. It doesnt force the scares down your throat. It takes its time and builds up to the conflicts that occur down the stretch. In order to get there we must first understand the relationship between these two individuals and witness how things fall apart.

Cat People isnt scary per se, but it does have a couple moments where you'll be anticipating what's going to happen next.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Day 5. Midsommar. I haven't yet seen the movie this apparently takes inpiration from, Wicker Man - that will be fixed this month. But I think this is the only horror movie I've seen that's takes place in almost entirely during the day. The beauty and sunshine gives the movie that, I dunno what the term is, like a happy sounding song with depressing lyrics. This is a film version of that.

I remember a thread here and a poster, maybe a couple, getting dogpiled after saying
Christian deserved it, or they at least didn't feel sorry for him. I was with the dogpile at the time...but he's definitely the least sympathetic of the victims. So while he didn't do anything to earn being burned alive, I kinda get it.

My only problem with the film is that I don't know if I should laugh or be weirded out by the mimicking. It's a bit of both. Probably because the actors are over the top with it. The first 2 were unsettling, the second 2 were funny. But all in all, I loved it.

★★★★

The List

Last edited:

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1. Poltergeist (1982)
2. 1BR
3. The Blackcoat's Daughter
4. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
5. Crimson Peak
6. A Tale of Two Sisters

TaleOfTwoSisters.jpg

This one got me. Ever since The Ring, scary ghost girls crawling around the in dark has always been my horror kryptonite, and this movie pulls it off very effectively. There were a couple times when I found myself instinctively reaching for the pause button just to make the tension stop, but the fear of leaving a paused horror stuck on the screen kept me going.

Wrapped around all that is a beautiful, dark movie that has a story with enough substance to carry it all the way through. Part of me wants to watch it again to pick up on all the things I missed on my first viewing, but the other part never wants to see those dark corners again. Definitely the scariest movie I've seen so far this month, though take that with a grain of salt because these are the kinds of ghosts that keep me up at night.

Week Two: "If You See a Faded Sign by the Side of the Road That Says, "Fifteen Miles to the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVECRAAAAAAAAAFT!", Day 9 (Oct 5)

20130929-121808.jpg

Adapted from "The Shuttered Room," written by August Derleth, taken from notes left by Lovecraft

The posthumous life of Lovecraft is nothing if not terribly interesting, as the legacy he had created for his small little literary universe began to take a life of its own when writers got their hands on his works and felt the inspiration needed to take them to places that the man himself could have scarcely imagined them. Chief among them was his longtime correspondent and eventual publisher August Derleth, whose affection for his works would be instrumental in getting Lovecraft into the hands of more than a few curio seekers and paved the way for generations of writers to play with the worlds, people and entities that had been created. And with the access that Derleth was able to gain with the volumes of notes and literature that Lovecraft had left at the time of his death, he even took it upon himself to act as a kind of executor of a kind of literary estate, funneling fragments into his own words to produce new works that would have at least had their footing for something a bit more official than most. Though Derleth was never the writer that Lovecraft was, often mashing up the various elements of separate mythos to unsatisfying results, it was nevertheless an important duty that helped pave the way for new writers to make something of their own, cosmic horrors based on those works and those that were directly inspired.

The earlier days of the history of Lovecraft on film are somewhat less inspiring, if only because the premise of the stories that were adapted often shifted into unrelated matters, as was the case here as well as others. Even when movies did well to adapt a good chunk of the tale that inspired them, they stood to be buried inside of more well-known stories from far more ubiquitous writers, as was the case for The Haunted Palace plastering Poe's name and poem all over The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. The irony of Lovecraft having Poe preempting him even on the screen was not lost. Yet good things were to come by the time the 70s rolled around, as young filmmakers would have access to the kind of technology that could start capturing the imagination of those works far better and far more faithfully, and often in different portions of the globe at that. Once the 80s reached their midpoint and Lovecraft had become well-known enough to have his name precede the titles of direct adaptations of his works, to go along with the films that were heavily inspired by his writings, it became an unlikely second life that has endured to this day.

With that all said, it's not of much consequence that this film in particular feels about as Lovecraftian as a soup cracker does. Already off on an odd foot from being adapted by one of the posthumous collaborations that Derleth had written, the writers of the film itself threw out just about everything related to the Whateley legacy beyond a vague tragic family history in the little town of Dunwich and decided to dedicate long, long stretches of the story to a kind of prototype template for the rural/urban culture clash shockers that would soon become quite in style for folks shooting in England, making this if ever so slightly a kind of predecessor for something like Straw Dogs. This isn't a necessarily bad thing for a horror film to focus on instead if it's not confident in its ability to adapt more directly from a work that would have otherwise been well outside the budget of what the filmmakers had to work with, but it does require that the scares and shocks here can make up for misusing the source material for much beyond the title and a name or two. Eventual TV directing legend David Greene does well in terms of the off-kilter approach to the visual makeup of the film, going for expressive camera angles and good use of POV camerawork to create the makings of a strong atmosphere, but the script simply allows for no chills or terror to take root with its barren concepts. How dull can this film get? There are scenes where we follow characters as they do chores from beginning to end, hoping that there is some kind of horror lurking in the corners, only to discover that none are to be had at all, wasting everyone's time in the process, leaving the visual makeup of the film and a curiously jazzy score little to do but sit on top of a whole lot of nothing.

Truly, an incestuously-driven Oliver Reed deserves better than this? Sympathies for the characters are hard to come by when the situation itself feels so utterly pointless that our main couple could have vacationed anywhere else and would have contributed about as much over there as they did here, making emotional connections nigh-impossible. Even the reveal of just what lies in the titular room lands with a wet fart for how inconsequential it was to have that information relayed to us in the first place. One can't even feel frustrated with the results here as the inert-by-design trappings make one feel much of anything at all, lacking the necessary menace and mystery to have any kind of pull whatsoever and creating a handsome bowl of very thin gruel in its place. This is a long, long 100 minutes as a result, and while the pieces are in place for something more startling, the results do little more than cause one to stare blankly instead into space.

9/38

Oct 25, 2017
Welp just watched It Follows and it is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen :/ So disappointing after all the hype I've heard from some of my friends.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
5. Bram Stoker's Dracula

It's been a goods 20 years since I last saw this, and I remembered it's because I actually hate it. It's pretty to look at, the production design is great. Everything else is a shit show, it's a boring mess

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
6. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Whoa. Contrary to my first run in with vampires during my marathon, I was actually entertained with this. What a stylish take on the vampire narrative. The aesthetic hooked me as soon as the movie started, it's funny how B&W artsy movies tend to have that effect. In for more Iranian movies. I think I might've found a new flick to keep in rotation every October.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
3. Day of the Dead
day-of-the-dead-1985-bluray-1080p-dts-x264-15.jpg

The third of the initial Dead trilogy, and my personal least favorite, even though Romero's skills as a director are at their peak, rounding out all the rough edges that were there in Night and Dawn.

There's still a lot to admire in the film, Savini and his team's makeup and effects work are some of the best zombies put on-screen to this day, and there's a ton of great ideas sprinkled throughout the movie (Dr. Logan's research, Bub, John's underground island getaway), but there's also Joe Pilato and his army guys chewing the scenery. Strike that, they don't just chew the scenery, they gobble it up and regurgitate it out in front of the audience. I know Romero is trying to convey the character's are at their wits end and cabin fever is settling in, but huge chunks of the movie are the two sides stuck in the bunker just screaming at each other in circles, which doesn't make for very entertaining watching.

Ultimately it's Savini's ingenious practical effects, and Sherman Howard's performance as Bub, the one zombie that shows signs of cognizance and self-awareness, that elevate the movie and making it one worth watching, just be ready to suffer through the first half to get to the good stuff in the second half of the film.
this one is my favorite of the Dead movies, for special effects and tone

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Southbound_poster.jpg

8. Southbound (2015)
5 overlapping tales of horror taking place in a supernatural section of the South West.

Horror anthologies are often a mixed and this is no different. None of the segments are great, they're too short for what they're going for and often under developed, but none are awful either.

Only one of the stories is particularly gory, and unfortunately it's the most discomforting as it's against the most likable character in the film.
= 3 out of 5

3 & 4

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
watched Day of the Dead last night.

woof. was not impressed. Ill do a write up tomorrow but yeah. Im so disappointed. credit where its due though, the effects were fantastic. It was not what I was expecting, tonally. I liked one character in the movie I think. The racist military dude bros were rough to watch.

Last edited:

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
5. Thelma (2017)
A psychic horror film in the vein of Carrie and The Sender from the director of Louder than Bombs and Oslo, 31. august. A very well-acted and -written film that deals with the themes of loneliness and sexual repression/awakening. It could also be considered kind of a super hero (or villain) origin story. It's a shame neither this or Border (2018) could match the success of earlier down-to-earth Scandinavian horror film Let The Right One In. They would have deserved better. 8/10

6. The Wolfman (2010)
A mediocre remake with a weird pacing and way over-qualified cast. You can definitely see the production difficulties in the final product: the whole thing feels oddly disjointed and the tone is all over the place. 4/10

7. The Burning Hell (1974)
A weird evangelist propaganda film about hell. The film is basically a mix of sermon, bible stories and bery brutal visual depictions of hell. The film is free to watch on Nicolas Winding Refn's B film streaming service, byNWR (LINK). 6/10

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Extra Ordinary

I had my doubts about the potential tone, because I recently watched MacGruber, but I had no idea it was far more an Irish movie than a Forte movie.

Pretty charming with surprisingly good special effects for what the budget feels like otherwise (not that it's bad, but it feels indie). Pretty competent horror comedy. Barry Ward was very much the star with his performances each time he got possessed. He was excellent and very funny.

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
Intruder is amazing. I'd put it alongside Demons, The Evil Dead, Re-Animator, and Return of the Living Dead as the ultimate examples of lean mean '80s horror purity. No fat, strong sense of place, low-budget creativity, practical gore to die for, just pure horror fun
yeah intruder really stands up next to those movies you mentioned its one i can always return to and just have fun watching

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
6. The Wolfman (2010)
A mediocre remake with a weird pacing and way over-qualified cast. You can definitely see the production difficulties in the final product: the whole thing feels oddly disjointed and the tone is all over the place. 4/10
I'm assuming you watched the theatrical cut, which does a great disservice to the original, far superior director's cut that is very slow burn, but it fits the gothic moodiness of the film. Highly suggest you forget about the theatrical version and give the director's cut a chance, which is an elegant encapsulation of all the classic werewolf adaptations and tropes throughout the 20th Century rolled into one film.

watched Day of the Dead last night.

woof. was not impressed. Ill do a write up tomorrow but yeah. Im so disappointed. credit where its due though, the effects were fantastic. It was not what I was expecting, tonally. I liked one character in the movie I think. The racist military dude bros were rough to watch.
Yeah with you on that (see my review above), hard to care about anything happening when you don't care about any of the characters because they're all written to be so unlikable/unrelatable. Only characters I liked were the Jamaican pilot and Bub.

Last edited:

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
47555-eight-legged-freaks-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#05 - Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
Toxic waste creates giant spiders in a small mining town, incidents occur as things escalate and before you know it: full-on spider invasion. Between its silliness, the cardboard characters, and the lack of plot, this movie isn't much. But it is a good time. Also, most of the effects (both practical and CGI) are pretty great and still hold up 18 years later. 6/10