Oct 25, 2017
MV5BY2I2MDA2ZTctMzcxMS00NWM2LWFkYTEtMGI4Njg3ZjAwOGZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc0MTgzMzU@._V1_.jpg

30. The Night Eats The World (2018)
A depressing journey of one man's descent into madness during the zombie apocalypse. Focuses more on our survivor's mental health than it does on zombies. Not the most exciting movie but it was definitely well shot and exceeded what it set out to do.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BY2I2MDA2ZTctMzcxMS00NWM2LWFkYTEtMGI4Njg3ZjAwOGZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc0MTgzMzU@._V1_.jpg

A depressing journey of one man's descent into madness during the zombie apocalypse. Focuses more on our survivor's mental health than it does on zombies. Not the most exciting movie but it was definitely well shot and exceeded what it set out to do.
One of my favorite zombie films of the last decade. Reminded me of Dawn of the Dead in how it delves into the day-to-day meticulous process of clearing and maintaining his apartment building; the psychological focus and the solo cast does a lot to make zombie apocalypse scary and tense again

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
13: Phantom of the Paradise (1974) ★ ★ ★ ★
- What a pleasent suprise this was. I loved the design and the voice of the phantom.

14: Carrie (1976) ★ ★ ★ ★
- I had only saw the remake and this was so much better. The senior prom scene is perfection.

15: I Saw the Devil (2010) ★ ★ ★ ★ ½
- Brutal and bloody revenge flick. There's nothing extra here it's just greatness from start to finish.

16: Pitch Black (2000) ★ ★ ★
- The CGI was still pretty decent, but sadly the aliens are not that threatening.

17: Mr. Vampire (1985) ★ ★ ★ ½
- Fun slapstick physical comedy and jumping vampires.

18: Satan's Slaves (2017) ★ ★ ★ ½
- My weakness; haunted house movie. First movie of the month that scared me properly, but it sadly kinda lost me the longer it went.

19: The Beyond (1981) ★ ★ ★
- Dumb and enjoyable giallo. Suprisingly excellent music.

20: The Nightingale (2018) ★ ★ ★ ★
- Disturbing violence on minorities.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
17) Urban Legend (1998)

Urban_Legend_film.jpg

Now, tell me if you've heard this one before.

Part of the post-Scream wave of slashers, and it shows. This is very much aping the style, but with worse acting and writing. The urban legend gimmick is potentially fun for a slasher, but I don't feel like it was fulfilled. There isn't really much of an explanation for why the killer is even bothering to do these elaborate deaths, other than that the film needed a gimmick. I came away with the impression that it would be more at home in a slightly more over the top, older slasher where you could go full ridiculous with it, rather than this Scream style. As it stands, it's all pretty forgettable.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror 2020: #21/31
The Exorcist III (1990) - ★★★★

mCN2Hp2.jpg

I've heard a lot of good things about The Exorcist 3, but I never realized that it was a supernatural detective thriller, like a proto-Seven plagued by an evil even creepier and darker than the earthly John Doe. George C Scott is incredibly compelling as Lieutenant Kinderman, a man of shaken faith and keen deduction. The entire film seems grounded in his secular shrewdness. William Peter Batty directs this with a workmanlike simplicity that could be seen as inexperience, yet coalesces well with Exorcist 3's stage-like focus on intense dialogues.

For about 75% of its runtime, this sequel is a riveting tale of a good man struggling to comprehend evil. Of a genuinely endearing odd-couple friendship between Scott's lieutenant and Ed Flanders' Father Dyer. Of disturbing fates left mostly unseen, but made chilling through their cold-sweat impact on Kinderman's stony resolve. The bleak horrors of the film linger upon characters' faces and in their silences, a palpable disgust smothering the aftermath of each grisly murder.

When Brad Dourif enters the film as the Gemini Killer, 3's play-esque approach reaches its zenith. The scenes between Scott and Dourif are almost entirely closeups and static shots of the two face-to-face in that light-streaked cell. Yet their confrontations are mesmerizingly intense; it's a career-best showcase for Dourif, his every word cutting like slow razors.

But...

But then the final act happens. Suddenly this deliberately-paced coldly-unsettling thriller becomes an Italian horror flick, awash in showy effects, whiplash editing, gross gore, and fantastical hallucinatory imagery. Who let this tertiary priest character in to perform an exorcism? Why does the movie treat this confrontation like a moment of huge pay-off? Suddenly Kinderman's family matters when we barely know them? What happened? Did the studio fire the director? I'm still reeling from the gargantuan tonal shift. Still deciding on whether I appreciate such an audacious tonal shift and gonzo visuals or hate how bizarrely out-of-place that finale feels.

I was enthralled for most of The Exorcist 3 and in shock for the rest. Definitely need to seek out that Legion director's cut.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
zposter-683x1024-1-600x900.jpg

I finally got around to seeing this and thought it was all around much better than oatmeal's previous film Still/Born. The first half was pretty standard and the second half took me to places I didn't expect, which is what you want from a horror flick.
Anxiously await oatmeal's next.

Whew on that staircase scene!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

mCN2Hp2.jpg

I've heard a lot of good things about The Exorcist 3, but I never realized that it was a supernatural detective thriller, like a proto-Seven plagued by an evil even creepier and darker than the earthly John Doe. George C Scott is incredibly compelling as Lieutenant Kinderman, a man of shaken faith and keen deduction. The entire film seems grounded in his secular shrewdness. William Peter Batty directs this with a workmanlike simplicity that could be seen as inexperience, yet coalesces well with Exorcist 3's stage-like focus on intense dialogues.

For about 75% of its runtime, this sequel is a riveting tale of a good man struggling to comprehend evil. Of a genuinely endearing odd-couple friendship between Scott's lieutenant and Ed Flanders' Father Dyer. Of disturbing fates left mostly unseen, but made chilling through their cold-sweat impact on Kinderman's stony resolve. The bleak horrors of the film linger upon characters' faces and in their silences, a palpable disgust smothering the aftermath of each grisly murder.

When Brad Dourif enters the film as the Gemini Killer, 3's play-esque approach reaches its zenith. The scenes between Scott and Dourif are almost entirely closeups and static shots of the two face-to-face in that light-streaked cell. Yet their confrontations are mesmerizingly intense; it's a career-best showcase for Dourif, his every word cutting like slow razors.

But...

But then the final act happens. Suddenly this deliberately-paced coldly-unsettling thriller becomes an Italian horror flick, awash in showy effects, whiplash editing, gross gore, and fantastical hallucinatory imagery. Who let this tertiary priest character in to perform an exorcism? Why does the movie treat this confrontation like a moment of huge pay-off? Suddenly Kinderman's family matters when we barely know them? What happened? Did the studio fire the director? I'm still reeling from the gargantuan tonal shift. Still deciding on whether I appreciate such an audacious tonal shift and gonzo visuals or hate how bizarrely out-of-place that finale feels.

I was enthralled for most of The Exorcist 3 and in shock for the rest. Definitely need to seek out that Legion director's cut.
The answer is the studio mandated a more action heavy climax with an exorcism present, later in production. Originally it was more low key like the rest of the film.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BOTJkNGZkYjEtNDdjMy00NDYxLWE1MDYtNTgyMWNhOWRhZTBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc0MzY5MTk@._V1_.jpg

31. The Mortuary Collection (2019)
This was a lot of fun and easily one of the better anthologies. The stories all flowed well and some were clearly stronger than others but the production design and special effects were great.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
59539-your-vice-is-a-locked-room-and-only-i-have-the-key-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#16 - Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)
Basically a near-perfect Giallo exercise with all the right ingredients. Disturbing murders surrounding a twisty turny plot set in a giant dark gothic decaying mansion. Gorgeous Italian women, lots of sex, and a black cat that will haunt my dreams tonight. 7/10

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Is this a different movie than As Above So Below?

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
cfaee72f59e507524d6d8769d93f80dde4ad9d09.gif

18. Mystics In Bali (1981)

An American woman named Cathy researches a book that leads her to a black magic cult in Bali, Indonesia. She meets an evil witch who promises to train her in the dark arts. Tricked, Cathy is turned into a Penanggalan, a flying vampire with internal organs hanging from her neck.

I guess batshit crazy was on the menu last night when I watched this one. Wow! This film is nuts. I appreciated what was accomplished with it being Indonesian low budget horror. At times the effects looked great, but then you had a volleyball head hanging by a string chasing people. The transformation of humanoid pigs was pretty wild, as well as a silly black magic battle in the finale. Put this one in the so bad it's good pile, the dub is hilarious too.

👻👻👻 out of 5

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
#20 Train to Busan
traintozombies.gif

Korean horror cinema really has been putting out some good stuff the last few years. This is clearly a big budget event, and the money is well used here, setting up some really spectacular large scale set-pieces. Zombies have clearly been overdone, but the train setting, adds some new flavor to the mix to keep it from getting stale (trains are super awesome). Even if it is not exactly revolutionary overall in terms originality, it hits some nice emotional story beats, and has a good amount of humour and wackiness (e.g. zombies face-punching) to liven it up.
The kid in this one is so extremely precious, best kid I can remember seeing in any horror movie this marathon so far, and I quite enjoyed the main character being portrayed as such a selfish asshole at the start, which gives him a nice character arc of learning to be less of a complete disappointment of a father. Some very memorable side characters as well, though not all of them are equally well realized: especially the teenage couple storyline felt weaker than the rest.

#21 Phase IV
Phase_IV_Web_1800x1800.jpg

Extremely pleasantly surprised by this one. Went in pretty blind, and was expecting cheesy 1950s style giant monster ants ala "Them", but instead got a visually arresting introspective movie that borders on cosmic horror. It follows two scientist as they attempt to understand a change in ant behaviour in a specific desert area, and features a lot of detailed extended nature photography shots of ants with their scientific observations presented as voice overs with synth music blaring in the background, which creates a hypnotic and fascinating effect. The erratic editing style and use of striking colors and abstract architecture/objects add to a dream-like atmosphere.
I really don´t like bugs in general, so the shots of ants attacking other creatures (and that one shot with the human hand) grossed me out more than most gore ever does.

# 22 Sleepy Hollow
EnviousGlaringBug-small.gif

I realize may have already watched this 10-20 years ago, but since the only thing I could seem to remember is that the movie has some decapitations in it, it feels like a fresh watch. I love the period setting, the distinctive Tim Burton style and the gallery of British character-actors. The body count is also very impressive in this one, I must say. Other than that, the unravelling of the mystery behind "who is responsible" is needlessly convoluted, and feels like it contains a lot of padding and unnecessary plot threads to fill up the run-time, before reaching the obvious conclusion (feels a bit like a giallo movie in that sense).
It is definitely an entertaining watch, but I would not be surprised at all if in another 10 years the only thing I still remember is: This movie sure does have some decapitations in it.

Last edited:

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
tonight im revisiting a film i that i didnt give much of a chance when it came it with #18 The Woman it kinda passed me by when it came out and i didnt think much of it so im hoping a second watch will improve things

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
MV5BOTJkNGZkYjEtNDdjMy00NDYxLWE1MDYtNTgyMWNhOWRhZTBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc0MzY5MTk@._V1_.jpg

31. The Mortuary Collection (2019)
This was a lot of fun and easily one of the better anthologies. The stories all flowed well and some were clearly stronger than others but the production design and special effects were great.

Watched this today and really enjoyed it. Also THEY SHOWED IT and it was great. Screaming and howling when that happened.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror #21: Witchfinder General (1968)
witchfinder_general_UKcolourquad.jpg

Witchfinder General isn't exactly a horror film; there are no supernatural elements, no real "scares", and it's set almost entirely in the brightly lit daytime, and yet this factionalized account of historical atrocities can scarcely be classified as anything *but* a horror film. The film is nearly 90 minutes of human suffering and degradation, and then the historically inaccurate ending, which should be a moment of catharsis, simply makes everything even worse in an abrupt horror show of madness and savagery. That ending is the real coup de grace of the film, as I think a happier ending would ironically render the suffering before as empty shock value, whereas the pointed nihilism of we get feels like an inevitable drawing of bleakness, like water circling the drain. It illustrates a particularly brutal point in history with deadly precision. Outside of all the brutality, which I'm sure was quite shocking at the time, there's a lot to like here. Vincent Price gives an uncharacteristically restrained performance as the sadistic Matthew Hopkins, who represents every vile aspect of humanity. The landscapes are beautifully filmed, the historical framing is interesting, and the score is quite effective. But again, without that final ending note, I don't think all those other elements would have coalesced into such an interesting film.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

mCN2Hp2.jpg

But...

Sounds like you need to watch the recently assembled director's cut called Legion. I'm a minority in preferring it from that I've seen, but I definitely respond better to the low key approach like you said. The newly assembled footage didn't come from the greatest quality. The negative elements have been searched for over years now, and the best we get are footage from VHS Dailies. There are various changes throughout, but the biggest comes from the ending which is the completed opposite of the theatricals, to the point of being anti climatic really. You'll have to check it out to see what side of the fence you end on.

I much prefer Dourif's performance in the directors cut as well, as it's less "let's be as loud as possible as if I'm on the stage".

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the Legion third act/ending is not terrific either, but for entirely different reasons. I prefer the theatrical on the whole, but Legion I think makes a bit more sense.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
33671-the-leopard-man-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#17 - The Leopard Man (1943)
Aw yiss, I was urging for some classic Jacques Tourneur shit! This... only kind of scratched that itch. It is gorgeously shot, suspenseful when it needs to be, and clocking in at only a 60 minutes, its brisk pace keeps things moving forward. That also keeps things a bit superficial, it lacks the complexity of the other Tourneur movies. 6/10

----

jA6GYQDuR0RV99sWcjCzz8gcbHB-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#18 - The Fly (1958)
As most do, I too love the Cronenberg remake, but hadn't seen this original. Had to mentally prepare myself for a lack of Jeff Goldblum, but luckily was greeted by the ever enchanting Vincent Price which is equally as good. I was also greeted by extremely lush colors and typical 50s filmmaking and storytelling. Unfortunately, that's where the good things end. I found this movie utterly boring, it didn't help Patricia Owens got on my nerves and we spent half the movie looking at people hunting for an actual fly. Also, with only 15 minutes remaining we actually get to see the 'Brundlefly' of this movie, that's lame. 5/10

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#17. Wolf Creek 2 - After a fantastic movie like The Nightingale, I may as well watch another Australian film...oh boy. I'm not going to act like the first Wolf Creek was some work of art but it had a decent level of tension and suspense to it and Mick Taylor as the killer, played by John Jarratt, does what every good villain does which is be equal parts charming and creepy. Given that Jarratt returns, it should have at least been decent fun but the film doesn't seem to want to do anything more with Mick other than revel in his cruelty. It starts with some pointless scenes of Mick killing cops and then killing some German backpackers before it introduces the main protagonist, Paul. It gets a little more interesting once Paul shows up who is well acted but quickly descends back into the absurdity with swarms of kangaroo being run over and giant truck exploding. They wanted to take the cat and mouse portions that made up the latter half of the first film and have it make up the first half here. That would be ok but as much as I enjoyed Mick in the first one, I was really getting sick of him every time he showed up here. Can't imagine I'd get anything out of the TV show now. The scene where Mick is playing a game of questions with Paul is pretty good though. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the film.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you need to watch the recently assembled director's cut called Legion. I'm a minority in preferring it from that I've seen, but I definitely respond better to the low key approach like you said. The newly assembled footage didn't come from the greatest quality. The negative elements have been searched for over years now, and the best we get are footage from VHS Dailies. There are various changes throughout, but the biggest comes from the ending which is the completed opposite of the theatricals, to the point of being anti climatic really. You'll have to check it out to see what side of the fence you end on.

I much prefer Dourif's performance in the directors cut as well, as it's less "let's be as loud as possible as if I'm on the stage".
Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten from reviews. The Legion cut doesn't seem to be available to rent or stream anywhere though

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 18 - The Love Witch, 2016 (NEW)

tumblr_oxi6ut6lQs1rrkahjo8_500.gifv

As my "bonus film" for the week, I went with The Love Witch - a modern film that does its best to ape the aesthetic of 60s and 70s horror B-movies. Vibrant technicolor, spotty acting, and a staid aesthetic really sell it. I was iffy going in, and I'm iffy coming out, but it's a film you have to respect even if you don't necessarily like it.

The basic premise is that Elaine, the titular "Love Witch," blows into a quiet California town after her ex-husband's death in San Francisco. She's a witch, part of a coven of witches, and uses witchcraft to find a man. That being said, it's not quite explicit if these witches are "60s movie" witches or "actual real life" witches, as far as magical abilities go. A good deal of sex and ritual and ritual sex ensues. In essence, it's your typical "occult horror" movie, just from the point of view of the "bad guy" - though as you can imagine it resists being black-or-white about the situation. It's listed as a horror/comedy, but I didn't find it particular comedic; it's played 100% straight, though humor does come from that straightness.

I'm far enough removed from the target audience that I don't really even know what to call that audience - you know, teenage and young adult women, generally fairly educated with a solid understanding of academic feminism, who dabble in witchcraft, occult, tarot, astrology, and other forms of mysticism, ironically or otherwise. It's very explicit with its tracts on gender, sexuality, empowerment, and so on - and some of it fairly radical, in a way that makes it tough to gauge whether Biller (the writer/director/producer) is critiquing it or endorsing it. There's a sort of take about the inevitability of male gaze and the fundamental relationship between men and women, where I don't quite know where she lands. It's thought provoking if nothing else. I'd like to watch it with someone smarter than me and listen to their thoughts about it.

Evidently her next movie is going to be an adaptation of Bluebeard? I could dig that.

WEEK 1 - 100 Years of Horror
Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde | Bonus: Häxan

WEEK 2 - Creature Features
Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man & The Invisible Man Returns | Bonus: The Invisible Man

WEEK 3 - In Living(?) Color
The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The War of the Gargantuas, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria & House | Bonus: The Love Witch

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
18) Creep (2004)

Creep_%282004_film%29_poster.jpg

If you're looking for change, why don't you hang around a phone box?

Or: A regular day on the subway.

Not to be confused with the found footage film from more recently, this slasher features a woman stalked by a killer on the London Underground. It's a creepy setting for horror, and they play up the claustrophobic potential pretty well early on. The camera is often handheld and voyeuristic, sneaking around corners or peeking from behind objects at the protagonist, and there's a strong sense that something could be coming into frame at any moment; always good for keeping you on your toes.

However, it definitely loses something in the second half, once the killer starts actually showing up on screen. In fact it's like a light switch is flipped at the halfway point and it becomes a different movie, and a more generic one. Deciding to go wildly over the top "horror" with the villain was a mistake, given the setting itself with its dark tunnels and dripping sewers is already scary, and I think a more ordinary, down to earth killer in this case would be far more effective. Still, it's decent enough, and it avoids a few clichés I hate even in the weaker second half.

A mild recommendation even if it falls short of its potential.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1. Cemetary Man (N)
2. Scare Me (N)
3. Waxwork (N)
4. Mandy (N)
5. Spiral (2019) (N)
6. Final Destination (R)
7. Alive (N)
8. Nightmare on Elm St: Freddy's Revenge (R)
9. Event Horizon (N)
10. Lyle (N)
11. Brain Damage (N)
12. Shark Night 3D (N)
13. April Fool's Day (N)
14. Ginger Snaps (N)
15. 976-Evil (N)
16. Pumpkins (N)
17. Wishmaster (N)
18. As Above, So Below (R)
19. Tremors 2 (N)
20. The Legend of Halloween Jack (N)
21. Cutting Class (N)
22. Plan 9 from Outer Space (N)
23. Hatchet (R)
24. A Nightmare on Elm St 3: Dream Warriors (R)
25. Freaks of Nature (N)
26. The Ritual (N)
27. Dead and Buried (N)
28. Pandorum (N)
29. Halloween (R)
30. Hell House, LLC (N)

31. You Might Be the Killer (N) - I'm still kind of confused on the movie, I feel like it executes on the premise as expected, and it does lean into the comedic aspect of it, but I also feel like it doesn't lean hard enough into it. And it's darker moment doesn't land because of that. That said, I would recommend checking it out.

32. Apollo 18 (N) - I honestly thought this was an Asylum knock-off movie until a friend mentioned that it is solid enough horror movie, and that it is. A nice little small-scale space paranoia movie with a pretty gnarly ending.

33. Maximum Overdrive (N) - I am surprised I had never seen this movie before, but I have seen the main truck for it before. That said, the movie has an absolutely amazing score, and the movie itself is a good time.

34. Brain Scan (N) - One of those goofy horror movies that has enough charm and silliness for you to really go with.

35. It Follows (N) - I think it was... fine!

36. Bit (N) - Enjoyable, if not, forgettable.

37. Night of the Living Dead (N) - I can't believe I have never seen this movie, but I can clearly see why it launched an entire genre. Some great performances as well.

38. Nightmare on Elm St: The Dream Master (R) - Oh man the lost of Patricia Arquette is felt here, I don't think any of the actors reach that level in this movie and the ending is a bit goofy, but still Freddy being freddy.

39. Wishmaster 2 (N) - one of the battiest finales I've ever seen in a horror movie. Really turned the movie around!

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
23. The Long Hair of Death (1964)

A Black Sunday ripoff complete with Barbara Steele, except it's boring. 4/10

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror 2020: #22/31
Hiruko The Goblin (1991) - ★★★

2cvnT45.jpg

What happens when you mix a cursed high-school, J-horror comedy, Shinya Tsukamoto's gonzo style, and The Thing's headcrab? You get Hiruko The Goblin, that's what.

When its goblin spiders are rampaging, this is a bonkers blast; Tsukamoto mines the creepy-cheesy imagery of decapitated heads skittering around on hairy bug legs for all its eerie and comic worth. Motorbike chases through the halls as head-goblins craw overhead, entranced self-decapitations that spew more blood than a fire hose, ancient temples under school grounds. It's silly-scary fun, with impressive effects for the creative main attraction.

Between those monster beats and crawling heads though, a lot of slapstick, mugging for the camera, overlong exposition and basic characters whose only personalities exist as repetitive gags. Tsukamoto at his most mainstream, but his eccentric style is only slightly dulled.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
21. Society (1989) - Another body horror film, but this time about the rich literally feeding on the lower class. This won me over with how crazy the ending section was.
22. Hell House LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) - I had no idea they made a sequel to the original Hell House LLC (which was just an okay horror film) but oh man this was completely unneeded. Some of the acting was pretty awful, and I don't remember having that complaint about the first. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched but I wouldn't recommend it.
23. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - I hadn't seen this in years and it was an enjoyable rewatch. I enjoy Tim Burton's style most of the time (minus those Alice in Wonderland movies), and though this isn't quite a scary film I think it's a nice gothic horror story. Overall it's a fun, stylish take on the story of the headless horseman.

Full list so far in spoilers:

1. House (1977) - This was quite the fever dream of a film. The editing was really unique and entertaining, and I feel a lot of the choices in editing made me enjoy the film much more than I would've otherwise. It was strange, comical, and very memorable.
2. Eyes Without a Face (1960) - This was a film I'd been meaning to watch for a while, and I really enjoyed it. I feel black and white really suited this, and color would have been a detriment, especially during the surgery scene. The mask also looked wonderfully creepy, and the mad-doctor-trying-to-fix-his-daughter plot was simple but really good.
3. The Brood (1979) - This was a solid film. The ending scenes really saved it for me even though I felt the child actress that played the daughter was a bit weak. The army of mutated children that just killed anyone based on Nola's rage were pretty creepy. I kept thinking about Don't Look Now whenever I saw them. The small amounts of body horror mixed in, especially at the climax, were well done.
4. Scanners (1981) - I decided to have a small Cronenberg marathon Friday night. I had only seen Videodrome before now, which I really liked, so I decided to watch more of his work. Scanners was definitely more sci-fi than horror, but like in The Brood there was some body horror mixed in. As a sci-fi film I enjoyed this, but as a horror movie both Videodrome and The Brood were far better.
5. Eraserhead (1997) - This was surreal. Definitely oozing David Lynch's style. I feel like I might have to watch this again sometime to really figure out how I truly feel about it. There was a lot going on and a lot to take in. It seemed to be about fear of parenthood, but I feel like there may be more to it than just that.
6. The Thing (1982) - I'm a big fan of John Carpenter, and this is my favorite movie I've watched so far for this marathon. There were so many memorable scenes and the creature effects were phenomenal. The isolation of the setting, as well as trying to figure out who was no longer human made for a suspenseful and fun watch.
7. The Binding (2020) - This was just very average and forgettable. It's your basic evil-entity-tries-to-take-over-a-kid-and-the-family-has-to-save-them story. It did surprise me with some red herrings since the original direction I thought the film was going was slightly different. It was competent. I really don't have much to say about this one. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special.
8. Witchboard (1986) - This was also pretty average, but I enjoyed the fact it was a ouija board story that centered around adults and not teens or children. This really didn't have much going for it other than that though. The characters were very stereotypical, but there was a bromance aspect going on that I thought was kind of fun. I wish there had been more campy deaths though, since the spirit killed people with a hatchet.
9. The Loved Ones (2009) - Tonight was a night of re-watches, starting with this little Australian gem. Filled with dark humor and some pretty messed up torture, I still really enjoyed this film after years removed from seeing it.
10. Excision (2012) - This film I have mixed feelings on. The performance by the lead actress is great, and the dark humor and plot itself I think make for an interesting film. Like Akumatica I also feel like the ending is unearned. Shit goes from 0-100 with how crazy this girl is and explodes in the ending scene. It would definitely be a stronger, shocking finale if she had shown herself or her visions becoming more and more extreme (though her fantasies/dreams were pretty messed up, but she barely acted on anything until the end).
11. Fright Night (1985) - This was a fun little flick! I love the 80's aesthetic, and I enjoyed the fake TV vampire hunter the main character hunted down to help him; I thought that was a really fun idea. The effects were also pretty solid. Overall a fun film, of course not very scary though.
12. The Final Girls (2015) - This had some fun moments. I enjoy movies that play on slasher tropes and this movie's plot was full on that. The final fight I didn't love just cause it was so over the top, but overall I thought it was a fun little film.
13. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - A rewatch for me. I enjoy this movie as a sort of haunted house attraction type film. You have different ghosts and demons throughout different parts of the movie and the main characters go from dealing with one thing to the next. It's simple fun but nothing special.
14. Crimson Peak (2015) - Another rewatch, but I haven't seen this since it came out. Definitely not a scary film, but an enjoyable and atmospheric Gothic romance with a touch of the supernatural.
15. Puppet Master (1989) - This gave me some Child's Play vibes, but I mean any movie with a killer doll/puppet that runs around makes me think of that. I really enjoyed the different puppets and watching them kill off the cast; not sure if it's something I'd watch again though.
16. The Mothman Prophecies (2002) - This was more of a thriller than a horror film and I honestly did not like it. I debated turning it off halfway through but I wanted to give the full movie a chance. I did and it was definitely meh.
17. Nocturne (2020) - This is one of the four movies Blumhouse released on Amazon this month. I actually quite liked this film. It reminded me of Starry Eyes, which is another horror film in a similar vein about the pressures of being in a competitive arts field. This isn't a particually scary film or anything; it's more of a drama with a small supernatural element to it. It was way better than I expected, given it was a Blumhouse film that went straight to Amazon Prime.
18. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) - I've never been big on Friday the 13th; there's not a lot of substance in the series (not that there has to be, I just prefer movies like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street when it comes to slashers). I enjoyed the watch overall -- it was a campy teen horror flick, though I doubt I'll revisit it.
19. Wishmaster (1997) - I enjoyed all the special effects and body horror that was prominent in this film; it looked great and there was some pretty disturbing stuff in it. The plot was okay, but I wasn't too invested in that aspect.
20. Swallow (2019) - This is more of a psychological drama than pure horror, but I definitely felt a bit squeamish seeing the stuff the main character decided to swallow. Really good movie overall with a lot to explore involving the main character's struggles. It also was a stylish, well shot, and gorgeous film aesthetically.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
11. Bloody Birthday

Bloody-Birthday-Killer-Kids.jpg

Not a whole lot to say here. I got what I was looking for with picking this as my "classic slasher era' selection. The more low brow filmmaking I get in these class, the better haha. Sometimes I get surprised and enjoy one of these films more than I thought i would (Prom Night 2, Sorority House Massacre), but more often than not they end up being like (the Prowler or Prom Night).

These movies do have their place for me, especially to add a bit of excitement to a 31 movie marathon. Sometimes I need something that's a bit dumb, especially to balance the weight of the more heavy viewings.

I also realize I haven't said a thing about this movie, haha. Three kids born on the same night during an eclipse from Saturn (or something) are evil. There's no scares, there's no mystery after the first 15 minutes because we know who the killers are. The protagonist do enough to make you root for them and the evil kids must have had the time of their life filming this shit. They look like they relish every evil grin.

I did like the climax which brought a gun into the equation, something seldom seen in slashers. It's nice to mix things up after so many years of familiarity. Fun final scene as well.

5/10

12. Bliss

Bliss-film-review-horror-painting.jpg

Interesting film, but one I believe most filmmakers have considered at some point. It's essentially "no junk, no soul", the movie. Which, if you aren't aware, is referring to artists who rely on drugs for their creativity. Likening it to vampirism is a no brainer as a vampire must feed to live, so the analogy is apt.

That's essentially the entire plot. An artist can't create without drugs, and the old stuff isn't inspiring her like it used to. Then, out on the town with some sketchy friends, she gets introduced to a new dose of creativity my becoming a vampire. She becomes reliant, even against her better wishes, and is content with sacrificing her own life for her own art.

The plot may be obvious, but the execution is anything but. It's filmed as if it's a hallucinatory, fever dream which works as intended but gets tiring. The film is short as it is, so it's not like it could be cut down any further. The violence/horror aspects are fun. Typical vampire stuff with buckets of blood involved. The highlight is the performance from Dora Madison Burge, who is fantastic as the spiteful, tortured, living on the edge creator; but is able to escalate her craziness and desperate urges quite organically. I always liked her in Friday Night Lights, so it's nice to see her pop up again.

One last bit. The movie contains a disclaimer because of the amount of flashing lights may cause seizures. They definitely overdid it, IMO. As if they were compensating for a lack of engagement.

6/10

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
17. City of the Living Dead (1980)

In the last couple days, I seen the beginning of a zombie apocalypse, the end of another, and now the prevention of one, well maybe? XD

Man, what a weird film. Starts off pretty interesting with the premise that a priest killing himself means that the gates of hell are open, along with that buried alive scene. Then the gory stuff comes in, including the insane memorable death via girl vomiting her entire insides out, and the brain crushing that they liked so much, that they used it 3 times. There are some really cool moments that feels so surreal, but otherwise the movie is just okay. Dat ending through.

So okay, they descended and are able to close of the gates, but then as they get out and John-John (lol) runs to them, Mary screams in horror for some reason, and the screen crumbles. That was, weird. Seems like something in the production for this ending got screwed up? Like John-John was supposed to have some effects around him to show that he is actually possessed or is a zombie. Or maybe they meant it to be this weird. XD

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
#17. Wolf Creek 2 - After a fantastic movie like The Nightingale, I may as well watch another Australian film...oh boy. I'm not going to act like the first Wolf Creek was some work of art but it had a decent level of tension and suspense to it and Mick Taylor as the killer, played by John Jarratt, does what every good villain does which is be equal parts charming and creepy. Given that Jarratt returns, it should have at least been decent fun but the film doesn't seem to want to do anything more with Mick other than revel in his cruelty. It starts with some pointless scenes of Mick killing cops and then killing some German backpackers before it introduces the main protagonist, Paul. It gets a little more interesting once Paul shows up who is well acted but quickly descends back into the absurdity with swarms of kangaroo being run over and giant truck exploding. They wanted to take the cat and mouse portions that made up the latter half of the first film and have it make up the first half here. That would be ok but as much as I enjoyed Mick in the first one, I was really getting sick of him every time he showed up here. Can't imagine I'd get anything out of the TV show now. The scene where Mick is playing a game of questions with Paul is pretty good though. Definitely the most enjoyable part of the film.

I actually really enjoyed the first season of Wolf Creek. Its a bit rough around the edges with some questionable things here and there but overall I thought it was worth a watch.

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#18 - The Lighthouse

giphy.gif

Huh. Wasn't expecting so much farting.

The Lighthouse is a wonderful nightmare of a film. Some lovely cinematography, expected no less from the man behind The Witch. Great atmosphere, imagery and audio direction. I dig the retro aesthetic. Surprisingly humorous at times, the characters quibbling about farts and lobsters and stuff got some laughs out of me. Pattinson and Dafoe are great, compelling in their descent into madness. Looking forward to whatever Eggers comes up with next.

Week Four (Oct 18-24): Blood Runs Thicker than Water... (Oct 18)

069ce6f914fdf982badb4de4043a576b.jpg

First, you thought your parents were just crazy, but now, they're a part of The Crazies! The high concept here is the kind of thing that would ordinarily get tossed out by any self-respecting film studio exec, knowing full well the kind of heat they would get for bankrolling a film in which parents are compelled to murder the hell out of their kids. That is why such an audacious concept seems well suited for the talents of at least one member of the cult favorite Neveldine/Taylor duo, the latter of which who happens to be responsible for this, as they knew a thing or two about releasing right under everyone's noses some really out-there stuff that so happens to feature big stars in what appears on the surface something more conventional. Certainly, Crank lived up to its fever dream reputation, taking what could have been an otherwise mundane spin on DOA starring Jason Statham and turning it into a coked-out bender of movie, all too happy to breath its sickness all over you as the odyssey of the impossibly-named Chev Chelios spending his final day on earth defying death in increasingly outrageous ways. They even managed to get their hands on a Marvel property in Ghost Rider, albeit before the days of the MCU being crystallized, managing to work all kinds of ideas stupid enough to just work to suit the talents of Nicolas Cage far better than its boring predecessor did. Did they make good movies? That is of course in the eye of the beholder, but they sure did make distinct ones all the same.

Even without his partner in crime, Brian Taylor is still very much keyed into that whole aesthetic on this production, reuniting him with Cage as one of his lead actors as well, and it's hard to mistake this for any other filmmaker. With the whirlwind handheld camerawork that almost assuredly had Taylor behind it, as he had done before on his previous films, the frenetic editing that makes one wonder if it was cut by someone really stupid or someone really clever, or perhaps a bit of both, and the always silly yet occasionally effective needle drops for the licensed songs that play in the more outrageous scenes, you know full well what you're getting into here and know that there will be some way that the work here will find a way to make your eyeballs bulge out in complete disbelief at some point. And sure enough, the concept here is ripe with potential on that front, with some demented highlights including a initial attack wave on a high school track that has us following around with parents lunging and attacking at their children while security tries to break it up, as well as an eyebrow-raising scene that takes place in a hospital as a new mother eyes her newborn with something that sure isn't an outpouring of love. The film is smart enough to realize that such an otherwise odious concept for a film needs to be played to the absolute hilt in order to make any of it work, and on that front, it succeeds in being the kind of darkly humorous adrenaline shot for its duration.

Strangely, I did find myself wanting something more ridiculous than what we wound up getting here. Although it runs the risk of me advocating for more wanton child slaughtering, there's a sense throughout that Taylor is pulling his punches, as this never quite hits the mark in terms of depiction throughout that you would have expected with his past credits for the maximum level of lurid lunacy that it seems keyed into delivering. It's not as if the film is particularly interested in good taste to begin with, so it suffers in relation to the mode that it's in that it doesn't really have the meat, figuratively speaking, that it seemed primed for from the jump. In its place is an abundance of ironic cutaways that drop in between the action beats, which show off the history of the Ryan clan before the event in the hopes of adding some story, but they wind up so frequent and obvious in when they're going to be placed that you can set your watch to when they'll arrive on the scene, giving an air of predictability that is quite unbecoming of the filmmaker, as if he was running out of tricks.

The ingredients are all there: a disturbing concept that gets played the way it needs to in order to work at all, game performances from both Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair, both of whom clearly relish the wacko interplay they have with each other, and just enough fun surprises throughout to keep you guessing at what will happen next, including a cameo from a veteran character actor that kills just as much as his character wants to kill his son. Yet the broth here feels a bit flavorless in the end, not helped by a bizarre non-ending that feels less like the mic drop that Taylor intended it to be and more like they ran out of money, that makes all the surface here feel just like that. One cutaway hints at the potential that Taylor had with the concept, slowing things down enough for the parents to go through their own mini-midlife crisis that makes one of their plights instantly relatable while not forgoing some of the over-the-top elements that went into its unlikely catharsis, but soon after, it's right back to stepping on the gas like the rest of the film had been going with before. It's a film that certainly gets to what it's all about with no excuses for itself, and that may just be the problem I have with it: try as Taylor did with some of the more inspired moments, he didn't have the foresight to push things just a little harder and wilder to make something that folks really would talk about, and the result is making something that can't help but feel disappointing in its ability to ultimately play out the way that you would have expected it to with the names in front of and behind the camera. It's hard not to have fun with this, but you might find yourself wondering why it isn't more fun.

25/38

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
#18 - The Lighthouse

giphy.gif

Huh. Wasn't expecting so much farting.

The Lighthouse is a wonderful nightmare of a film. Some lovely cinematography, expected no less from the man behind The Witch. Great atmosphere, imagery and audio direction. I dig the retro aesthetic. Surprisingly humorous at times, the characters quibbling about farts and lobsters and stuff got some laughs out of me. Pattinson and Dafoe are great, compelling in their descent into madness. Looking forward to whatever Eggers comes up with next.
He's doing a Viking revenge epic next

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
15. Suspiria (2018)
16. Scare Me
17. Death Note
18. Overlord
19. Doctor Sleep

Mixed feelings from this movie, but I have to at least give it some credit for existing in the first place. A film adaptation of Doctor Sleep seems impossible on paper when most of the movie-going audience is going to expect a sequel to the original movie and not the novel. I think the movie tries to satisfy everyone, from people who liked the movie, to those who prefer the novel, to even King himself. And I think it's these moments of trying to make everyone happy where the movie suffers the most.

Scenes from Kubrick's classic are recreated using new actors in terribly awkward ways. I don't think I've ever been taken out of a movie as hard as when watching the terrible fake Jack Nicholson. The Overlook itself is never as menacing as it could be, and instead relies on the audience recalling Kubrick's horror. So instead all these moments feel like a cheap knockoff slotted into a big budget movie.

Still, the parts directly taken from King's Doctor Sleep work well enough. The overall plot stays interesting, even if some characters feel wasted. Ewan McGregor is great, and I really liked Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat. Overall a decent movie, but man, prepare to cringe whenever it wants to remind you that Kubrick made a classic.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#18 Dark City (Director's Cut!!) - art/10
This counts cause it has dark in the name, and it is spooky. First time watching. Loved everything about this movie. The strangers are great stalkers. The setting is fascinating and keeps you in till the end. A lot of cool SFX except for the tuning blast. Great plot and I like how it goes about the soul/human stuff. Nails the ending. I was told "Its like a spooky Matrix", but I think The Matrix is a lame Dark City.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Bonus Film #2: Urban Legend: Final Cut (2000)

Originally I had this on my list, but after having very little to say about Urban Legend, I went with something else today. However I did have this on hand so once again, I might as well watch it, outside of my 31.
I had also been curious whether they managed to do any more with the urban legend gimmick in a sequel. They did not. In fact they managed to do even less with it than the middling first film, despite an obviously promising setting of a film school with students making movies. Somehow its always these films about people making films that bizarrely seem to be unable to depict the actual shooting of a film anywhere close to reality. They're always like the directing scenes from Ed Wood (minus thrashing with an inanimate octopus).

I'll put it this way, there was a basic story development early in the movie that was so phenomenally stupid that I assumed it was a fakeout leading to a twist later. Turned out no, that really supposed to be taken seriously. The plot is aggressively nonsense, the clichés excessively abundant and the scares impressively absent.

Skip.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge_2017_poster.png

36. Revenge (2017)
A young woman goes away for the weekend with a rich married man who'd hoped to send her home before his 2 friends show up for their annual desert hunting trip. She's raped when they show up early and they attempt to kill her to keep her quiet. She survives and the title ensues.

The sexual assault is thankfully handed delicately and mostly off screen while the gore is front and center. It's gorgeously shot, very stylish, bloody and gory with a good electronic soundtrack. Early metaphors and heightened sense of reality kick in with some surrealistic touches.

Tense and very well made.
= 4 out of 5

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#18 Dark City - art/10
This counts cause it has dark in the name, and it is spooky. First time watching. Loved everything about this movie. The strangers are great stalkers. The setting is fascinating and keeps you in till the end. A lot of cool SFX except for the tuning blast. Great plot and I like how it goes about the soul/human stuff. Nails the ending. I was told "Its like a spooky Matrix", but I think The Matrix is a lame Dark City.
I hope you saw the director's cut. That's the only one I saw, on advice of others, later I found out the theatrical version literally tells you the entire mystery plot in the first thirty seconds.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I hope you saw the director's cut. That's the only one I saw, on advice of others, later I found out the theatrical version literally tells you the entire mystery plot in the first thirty seconds.
Yup, it was the director's cut. Glad I picked the right one cause that would have been a bummer.

e: Wow. I wanted to see how bad it was and it is half of the reveal scene during the opening.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
zposter-683x1024-1-600x900.jpg

I finally got around to seeing this and thought it was all around much better than oatmeal's previous film Still/Born. The first half was pretty standard and the second half took me to places I didn't expect, which is what you want from a horror flick.
Anxiously await oatmeal's next.

Whew on that staircase scene!
Cool! Thanks for checking it out. Just finished week 2 of my new film SUPERHOST. One week left.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
26/31 films down

Here's what I watched in week 2.

AGbGgdJ.png

15. Cube (1997) - 3/5

wow, it's like Saw without the banger of a soundtrack and even more mess packed into its run time. interesting.

too many numbers for my liking. especially at 2 am. could've used more people getting sliced and diced in traps. i'm sure the sequel and prequel will deliver on that, though.

16. Cube 2: Hypercube (2002) - 1/5

wild how this was so heavily committed to outdoing the original film on every level but ended up being a downgrade across the board? it was a bit suffocating really lmao.

not really one for thinking the original film is much more than an enjoyable popcorn/middle of the night watch but any bit of intrigue or cleverness to be found was gone here.

just the prequel to go.

17. The Nude Vampire (1970) - 4/5

second of the four films in the virtual marathon through my cinema.

---

what i expected: "wow, the vampire is nude..."
what i actually got "wow, the vampire is nude..." with strong aesthetic and atmospheric stimulation.

i had a feeling on some level this (and A Virgin Among the Living Dead earlier in the challenge) would be a bit more than they appear at a glance but i wasn't expecting anything like this. one memorable image after another capping off with a fantastic ending on a beach. god, it was all such a mood.

18. Friday the 13th (1980) - 4/5

my Scream Factory box set has arrived so of course a series rewatch is a must. switched it up a bit and watched the theatrical cut for the first time in idk how many viewings for variety.

looking forward to the rest of the series. one would think i'd get tired of revisiting things like this or the Halloween films but it never seems to happen. maybe some other time.

19. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - 4/5

Ginny screaming "THERE'S SOMEONE IN THIS FUCKING ROOM" has the same energy as my brain wandering when i'm trying to walk to the bathroom at 3 am...

and another one. still my favorite film in the series, don't see that changing any time soon.

loving all of the features on this set so far.

20. Dead & Breakfast (2004) - 3/5

over the years of just seeing the poster, i thought this was typical slasher fare. wasn't expecting a zombie musical type thing.

also wasn't expecting this to be so fun. it's of its time for sure but there's a lot of charm to be found here. the cast was also something of a powerhouse in regards to making one wonder how everyone in this was simultaneously involved.

even though i have an affinity for this kind of thing, 00s direct to video efforts can be spotty in terms of quality. glad i enjoyed this.

21. A Horrible Way to Die (2010) - 2.5/5

gave this another revisit. the camera work is still a struggle (and yet it wasn't as bad as i had remembered) but i like the cast and performances.

i don't usually come back to films i'm mostly indifferent to even once, let alone twice in the case of this one. i think the understated or lowkey vibe of this helps it stand out in Wingard's filmography and makes it easy to return to.

22. The Invisible Man (1933) - 3.5/5

i think this is my second favorite of the old Universal Monster films i've seen behind Bride of Frankenstein.

a standout performance from Claude Rains in the titular role (the bit where he snatches the bike? it Frslayed.), impressive effects, and a satisfying tone overall. one of the most enjoyable first viewings of the season for sure.

23. Friday the 13th Part III (1982) - 3/5

haven't been giving this one enough credit the past few rewatches. one of the most fun films in the franchise. memorable characters, nice music, a great chase scene and overall climax. not bad.

still not a favorite entry, but an improvement is nice.

24. Twins of Evil (1971) - 3.5/5

didn't realize this was the third part of a thematic trilogy until after, oops.

not too sure about it overall. between the gothic horror aesthetics, vampire framing, and great characters this was well and truly up my alley. it just passed through me with little to no lasting impact? i don't want to say i was bored or that i disliked this because it 100% wasn't the case but something didn't click. definitely gonna give this another go sometime in the future.

25. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) - 1/5

worst cast in the series. it's rancid.

next.

26. Jennifer's Body (2009) - 4/5

impromptu watch with a group on discord. as fun as always.

the music in this is such a time capsule.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 12.

13. Blue My Mind (2017)

A German coming of age story slow burn body horror about a teen girl slowly for reasons never explained turning into mermaid. It has some gnarly looking effects and strong performances from the lead girl and her best friend.

14. Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss By Passing Through the Gateway Chosen By the Holy Storsh (2018)

A delightful little folk indie comedy starring one half of Garfunkel and Oates. Also co-starring Dan Harmon and Taika Waititi in an extended cameo as a cult leader. It's delightful stuff

15. The Stalker (2020)

Tries to do a throwback 80s slasher homage thing. It's ok. Not great.

Oct 13.

16. Assassination Nation (2018)

Borrows visually from the Purge but delivers fantastic genuine women empowerment. Great trans rep to boot. Excellent film, excellent performances.

17. It Comes at Night (2017)

The title is a subtle hint at what's to come. A great example of a film where true horror comes from us not an invisible threat. Excellent slow burn

Oct 14.

18. The Selling (2011)

Charming little horror comedy about trying to sell a haunted house. Quite enjoyed it.

19. Cleaning Lady (2019)

Not bad, not great. Explores the trappings of being a woman in society a bit. Delivers some nice visuals. Cleaning Lady's backstory is fucked up and not in an entertaining way

Oct. 15.

20. Dead Before Dawn (2012)

Delightful horror comedy. A take on zombies a throughly enjoyed. Fun group of kids. Good dynamic, perfect level of self awareness. Very charming

Oct 16

21. Irrational Fears (2020)

Good idea, horrible execution, characters come and then go without a thought. Hilariously bad acting. It was funny to watch, but it's very bad

22. Video Dead (1986)

Some gnarly zombie makeup. Bad acting. Fun 80s effects. It was alright

Oct 17.

23. Trick or Treats (1982)

An 80s slasher with a babysitter's worst nightmare child. Weirdly builds up this idea of boy who cried wolf but then never pays it off. It was fine. 80s are almost always good for at least fine.

24. The Sisterhood (2004)

Ok so this was basically soft core porn, but whatever. Lesbians, vampires, telekinesis, take it or leave it.

Oct 18.

25. Cruel World (2005)

A satrical take on reality tv when that was something sort of fresh. Edward Furlong is appropriately nuts in this and it stars some very early 2000s faces lol. I enjoyed it.

26. Inseminoid (1982)

A space horror where a woman is too hysterical to connect two wires on her suit so she instead saws off her trapped foot. She kept calling out to her boyfriend to help her but he can't get out of the airlock so she just cries and cries about the wires gives up in 60 seconds and pulls out a saw, cuts into her foot and dies

Hilarious

Also aliens impregnate another astronaut via medical rape and she becomes a crazed killer.

80s, shlocky, British, delightful.

27. One Night in October (2019)

Weird shit happens in a small suburb. Some of the stories are great, some of them not so much. It's basically an anthology movie except all the stories happen at the same time and we jump between them. Pretty good for something clearly low budget.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
17. City of the Living Dead (1980)

In the last couple days, I seen the beginning of a zombie apocalypse, the end of another, and now the prevention of one, well maybe? XD

Man, what a weird film. Starts off pretty interesting with the premise that a priest killing himself means that the gates of hell are open, along with that buried alive scene. Then the gory stuff comes in, including the insane memorable death via girl vomiting her entire insides out, and the brain crushing that they liked so much, that they used it 3 times. There are some really cool moments that feels so surreal, but otherwise the movie is just okay. Dat ending through.

So okay, they descended and are able to close of the gates, but then as they get out and John-John (lol) runs to them, Mary screams in horror for some reason, and the screen crumbles. That was, weird. Seems like something in the production for this ending got screwed up? Like John-John was supposed to have some effects around him to show that he is actually possessed or is a zombie. Or maybe they meant it to be this weird. XD

Fun fact the organ vomit is in correct anatomical order

Also the main theme song is incredible

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Week Four (Oct 18-24): Blood Runs Thicker than Water... (Oct 18)

069ce6f914fdf982badb4de4043a576b.jpg

First, you thought your parents were just crazy, but now, they're a part of The Crazies! The high concept here is the kind of thing that would ordinarily get tossed out by any self-respecting film studio exec, knowing full well the kind of heat they would get for bankrolling a film in which parents are compelled to murder the hell out of their kids. That is why such an audacious concept seems well suited for the talents of at least one member of the cult favorite Neveldine/Taylor duo, the latter of which who happens to be responsible for this, as they knew a thing or two about releasing right under everyone's noses some really out-there stuff that so happens to feature big stars in what appears on the surface something more conventional. Certainly, Crank lived up to its fever dream reputation, taking what could have been an otherwise mundane spin on DOA starring Jason Statham and turning it into a coked-out bender of movie, all too happy to breath its sickness all over you as the odyssey of the impossibly-named Chev Chelios spending his final day on earth defying death in increasingly outrageous ways. They even managed to get their hands on a Marvel property in Ghost Rider, albeit before the days of the MCU being crystallized, managing to work all kinds of ideas stupid enough to just work to suit the talents of Nicolas Cage far better than its boring predecessor did. Did they make good movies? That is of course in the eye of the beholder, but they sure did make distinct ones all the same.

Even without his partner in crime, Brian Taylor is still very much keyed into that whole aesthetic on this production, reuniting him with Cage as one of his lead actors as well, and it's hard to mistake this for any other filmmaker. With the whirlwind handheld camerawork that almost assuredly had Taylor behind it, as he had done before on his previous films, the frenetic editing that makes one wonder if it was cut by someone really stupid or someone really clever, or perhaps a bit of both, and the always silly yet occasionally effective needle drops for the licensed songs that play in the more outrageous scenes, you know full well what you're getting into here and know that there will be some way that the work here will find a way to make your eyeballs bulge out in complete disbelief at some point. And sure enough, the concept here is ripe with potential on that front, with some demented highlights including a initial attack wave on a high school track that has us following around with parents lunging and attacking at their children while security tries to break it up, as well as an eyebrow-raising scene that takes place in a hospital as a new mother eyes her newborn with something that sure isn't an outpouring of love. The film is smart enough to realize that such an otherwise odious concept for a film needs to be played to the absolute hilt in order to make any of it work, and on that front, it succeeds in being the kind of darkly humorous adrenaline shot for its duration.

Strangely, I did find myself wanting something more ridiculous than what we wound up getting here. Although it runs the risk of me advocating for more wanton child slaughtering, there's a sense throughout that Taylor is pulling his punches, as this never quite hits the mark in terms of depiction throughout that you would have expected with his past credits for the maximum level of lurid lunacy that it seems keyed into delivering. It's not as if the film is particularly interested in good taste to begin with, so it suffers in relation to the mode that it's in that it doesn't really have the meat, figuratively speaking, that it seemed primed for from the jump. In its place is an abundance of ironic cutaways that drop in between the action beats, which show off the history of the Ryan clan before the event in the hopes of adding some story, but they wind up so frequent and obvious in when they're going to be placed that you can set your watch to when they'll arrive on the scene, giving an air of predictability that is quite unbecoming of the filmmaker, as if he was running out of tricks.

The ingredients are all there: a disturbing concept that gets played the way it needs to in order to work at all, game performances from both Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair, both of whom clearly relish the wacko interplay they have with each other, and just enough fun surprises throughout to keep you guessing at what will happen next, including a cameo from a veteran character actor that kills just as much as his character wants to kill his son. Yet the broth here feels a bit flavorless in the end, not helped by a bizarre non-ending that feels less like the mic drop that Taylor intended it to be and more like they ran out of money, that makes all the surface here feel just like that. One cutaway hints at the potential that Taylor had with the concept, slowing things down enough for the parents to go through their own mini-midlife crisis that makes one of their plights instantly relatable while not forgoing some of the over-the-top elements that went into its unlikely catharsis, but soon after, it's right back to stepping on the gas like the rest of the film had been going with before. It's a film that certainly gets to what it's all about with no excuses for itself, and that may just be the problem I have with it: try as Taylor did with some of the more inspired moments, he didn't have the foresight to push things just a little harder and wilder to make something that folks really would talk about, and the result is making something that can't help but feel disappointing in its ability to ultimately play out the way that you would have expected it to with the names in front of and behind the camera. It's hard not to have fun with this, but you might find yourself wondering why it isn't more fun.

25/38

Good aide memoire! A good shocker for people to watch, and quite twisted too, is Mum and Dad. A pretty bleak little UK horror movie that received National Lottery funding of all things!