Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
18. Cabin in the Woods (2012)
MV5BNTUxNzYyMjg2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTExNzExNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Finally got around to this, and was definitely amusing and fun. The premise of this organization creating these rituals is great, and especially the usage of the slasher archetypes for the American rite. Honestly would have been interested to see what the other rituals were like ha ha. Outside of that, there are certainly quite a few nice nods for other films or sub genres, and hey, the god of thunder was in this also.

Also I see this gif is from this movie, and the scene itself is amazing lol.

tumblr_po2cx4qmmo1x0uneyo4_500.gifv

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I believe I screwed up watching Blood Rage when I did. It basically followed my viewing of The Mutilator years back which so adequately fulfilled the "so horribly bad but amazing awesome" identifier that I had enough by the end of it. So Blood Rage just played off as bad for me. I should have waited another year and would have got a lot more out of it most likely.

I'm having the same kind of problem post Blood Rage now. I've watched a few stinkers after (reviews tomorrow) that I probably should have enjoyed more than I did, but I'm still laughing my ass off over Blood Rage's batshit ending days later.

God, what a beautiful mess that movie is.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#19 Invasion of the Body Snatchers - good/10
First time watching. If this was named something else and it didn't have the plant montage at the start it would have been better.
The birthing scene was cool, I like how stuff is way worse than let on for most of the movie, and I think Spock was one of them from the start

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
23088-virus-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#19 - Virus (1980)
As a killer virus sweeps through the world, only a few isolated research stations on Antarctica remain free of the disease. This movie manages to be bleak and depressing while looking astonishing. The sets, the locations, and the way the cinematography captures it all is stunning. Stellar filmmaking, great cast, engaging throughout the entire runtime. Not really a horror movie in the classic sense though. 8/10

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BZmQ2NmZiYWYtYzBiYi00ODI5LTg3MjItZjU3ZDc3ZjI2YWYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIxMzg5NjE@._V1_.jpg

33. Deadtectives (2018)
A fun lighthearted paranormal comedy. It was goofy and pretty dumb but that is what I was looking for.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
18. Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Finally got around to this, and was definitely amusing and fun. The premise of this organization creating these rituals is great, and especially the usage of the slasher archetypes for the American rite. Honestly would have been interested to see what the other rituals were like ha ha. Outside of that, there are certainly quite a few nice nods for other films or sub genres, and hey, the god of thunder was in this also.

Also I see this gif is from this movie, and the scene itself is amazing lol.

tumblr_po2cx4qmmo1x0uneyo4_500.gifv
I love this movie so much. I watch it all of the time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
11. Doctor Sleep
Certainly better than you'd imagine any sequel to The Shining to be. Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson are both quite good, and Kyliegh Curran is an awesome casting find. The movie is definitely way too long at 2.5 hours. Not that it ever really drags, it just doesn't really feel like it needs to be this long. The sandwiching of the True Knot plot and the
return of the Overlook Hotel
kind of works, but it does feel a bit of an awkward match. I wouldn't want to get rid of the latter, because that is what you'd want from a Shining sequel (and I do think Flanagan does a really good job with it). There is probably more time spent than is necessary on the True Knot themselves (did there really need to be nine of them?) but it's not a big issue. The movie works well enough putting these two stories together, and bringing them to a joint conclusion, even if it's not a perfect fit.

I did enjoy returning to the Overlook, and all the work done to replicate those sets even if they weren't exactly the same. The Gold Room scenes were a particular highlight. I was really surprised Flanagan actually went so far as to recast Jack, and not just for flashbacks but in the present-day action too. I don't know how well it works (he does have a good look-alike profile shot, and that's how he's mostly seen anyway) but I think I still appreciate the audacity of going for it.

Overall, a little too long and a little unwieldy in how it balances its own Abra/True Knot plot with being a sequel to The Shining, but all the same it works surprisingly well.
7/10

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror 2020: #24/31
Dark Waters (1993) - ★★★★

d8HVsWT.jpg

The best Lovecraftian movie that Argento never made. Mariano Baino's candlelit convent horror does indeed feel like an unearthed relic of '80s Italian horror, cloaked in the same nightmare haze as films like Suspiria or The Church. The flickering catacombs, the silent unease of nuns in surfside formation and flaming crosses in hand, the near-perpetual deluge and folktale-like otherworldliness that surrounds Elizabeth: Dark Waters' horror exudes an ethereal dread. The opening fifteen minutes are practically wordless, allowing witching-hour sacraments and stormy arrival to tell their story through evocative images alone.

The film proceeds with a languid pace, heavier with atmosphere, disorienting score, and pagan rituals than with plot or logic. The acting is often stilted, but that aspect ends up complementing the film's bizarre mood. Dark Waters unravels gradually into a phantasmal vision of dead-fish feasts and habit-clad executioners stalking the coast. Baino's film is Old Ones-eldritch to its bloody core, replete with cursed madness and prophetic paintings, arcane texts and primeval effigies, the blind that can yet see and the heathen nuns whose unholy rites sate their true God. The final act delivers exactly the gruesome unearthly payoff this kind of film deserves.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
A few more rewatches to add to the pile:

#23 - Demons 2: Not as good as the first one, but a pretty hilarious sequel. I still love the little demon puppet that comes out of the demon child. 6.5/10
#24 - Friday the 13th Part 2: Still just as fun as ever. This is when I really started to enjoy the F13 films. 7/10
#25 - Hellraiser: My favorite all time horror movie. I greatly appreciate originality in horror, and that is what drives me towards this film and Clive Barker in general. 10/10.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

18. Vivarium (2020)
IJAGGNP.jpg

Pretty good horror thriller and I thought they managed to pull alot of interesting stuff with the concept. Unfortunately, this being a feature length movie is where it fell short. The story would've been better serve with a short runtime. There's hardly anything happened most of the movie and they just keep throwing you these weird shit for no reason. And 2 titular characters ---- while well acted, are too shallow to invoke any kind of emotional response for their situation. Great concept, but it is wasted in such a slog of a movie.

2.5/5

Oct 27, 2017
#25 Crawl
giphy.gif

Gators in the basement, gators in the garden, gators in the kitchen?
gators in the shower
Lots of gators everywhere... And a cute little dog to raise the emotional stakes.
Sometimes the gators do look a bit like dodgy cg monstrosities, but most of the time the effects are good enough that it gets the job done. While this is clearly not a movie that has a lot to say, it is an incredibly solid mainstream popcorn flick that is easy to recommend, with good pacing and escalating tension throughout the runtime. I really dug this one, and it is definitely my favorite croc/gator movie since lake placid.
Would have been pissed if the doggo died

#26 Bone Tomahawk
5181.jpg

Plays like a straight period western movie for a lot of the run time, which did not adequately prepare me for some of the more gruesome scenes at the end. The writing, characters and acting is really good, and the cinematography is gorgeous, so I was prepared to recommend to go out and recommend it to lots of people, including my mother (who likes period pieces). In retrospect, I will still give it a strong recommendation, but probably restrict it to people I know who enjoy/tolerate quite a bit of guts in their genre-pieces, because... Yeah, my mum would not enjoy that final act. It is does add a very effective horror twist to the movie though, and the mix of genres mesh well.
Also: Depute sheriff is too precious and must be protected at all cost.
Only real criticism I have is that the framing of the Indians (I´m sorry: "troglodytes") as the villains and as straight up inhuman monsters comes off as a iffy though, in this day and age.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1-15

16: Return of the Living Dead (Rewatch, 1985) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Legendary movie with great effects, memorable scenes and a ton of humor and some dark undertones.

17: Return of the Living Dead Part II(Rewatch, 1988) ★ ★
Did not feel this one, sadly. It felt more silly rather than funny. Still a decent watch if you want a zombie movie.

18: Return of the Living Dead Part III ★ ★ ★
First time seeing it and i was pleasently surprised. Superb special effects and a story that i did not expect.

19: Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis (2005) ★
Though it has some good callbacks to the classics, this one was overall terrible and had no charm at all.

20: Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave to the Grave (2005) ★
Alao pretty terrible even though, with a title like that, you know what to expect. It could have been done so much better.

Last edited:

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
watched Saw 3 earlier with the missus still not sure if its held up well 14 years later but tonights movie is #20 I Spit On Your Grave (the original) sadly not fully uncut as i havent imported a uncut blu yet

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
lXs8YLd.jpg

13) American Rickshaw (1989) [Sergio Martino] (Oct 13)

An American rickshaw worker's life gets turned upside down when destiny causes him to become entangled with a witch's quest to retrieve a mystical statue.

I'm a big Sergio Martino fan and I can't think of a single one of his films I've seen that I didn't enjoy. Well, all good things come to an end, I guess. I don't even have much to say about American Rickshaw, unfortunately. It has some good ideas and could have been a lot of fun, but the messy and convoluted plot just drags on and on and on until an admittedly very cool death scene and then it drags itself to the end credits.

Overall, American Rickshaw is an Italian "horror" movie about Asian mysticism masquerading as an American "action" movie, and it's not nearly as fun as I'm sure that makes it sound.

Skip it. 1.5 / 5

If you want a good Sergio Martino horror movie, watch any of his excellent gialli. If you want goofy Sergio Martino action schlock, watch Hands of Steel. If you want over-the-top Asian mysticism, watch Big Trouble in Little China. Don't watch American Rickshaw.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only real criticism I have is that the framing of the Indians (I´m sorry: "troglodytes") as the villains and as straight up inhuman monsters comes off as a iffy though, in this day and age.
If you take a look at the themes of the Director's other movies and some of his general statements...the "subtle period-accurate racism" of Bone Tomahawk starts to look a lot more like "overt modern racism." It's a shame.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror #22: The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
MV5BZDVlMzk2ODYtNGMwZC00YTY0LWI1NjgtNWVmYWM5ZGQ2ZTY5L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

It's never a good sign when a movie starts off with a lengthy recap of the previous film using a bunch of reused footage. But does the movie recover after this bummer of an opening? No, no it does not. It's already a short movie at just about an hour in length, and the recap is like ten or fifteen minutes of the movie, which leaves not a whole lot of time to set up the story. How does the movie get around this? Well it basically just cuts out what should be the first act of the story in which you're supposed to be introduced to the characters and made to care, and instead gives the bare minimum of exposition and a bunch of nobody characters (though I did think it was a nice touch to bring back the comparatively fascinating and charismatic characters -- a low bar -- of The Mummy's Hand as old men as cannon fodder for the mummy's curse). Most of the movie is just Lon Chaney Jr.'s mummy (a good role for him since it doesn't require much acting, though he looks a bit less scary than the previous mummy) veryyyy slowly chasing and killing people. Gone are the rapid paced pulp thrills, puzzles, and comedic gags that made The Mummy's Hand such breezy fun. This is just a slog. The action has moved to America in this one so there aren't even any cool sets, or much atmosphere outside of a few shots in a cemetery. This gets an extra half star because it's still a pretty nice looking film, but it's clear Universal viewed this as nothing more than a cash grab.

31 Days of Horror #23: Ganja & Hess (1973)
MV5BMWRkYjZlM2QtYjk2ZC00M2U3LTlkNWEtMzcwMTM2OGQzNGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDI0NTc3ODc%2540-_V1_UX1169_.jpeg

Ganja & Hess, at its core, explores vampirism as a form of addiction, a schizophrenic curse that creates a dichotomy of victim and murder within the individual. It doesn't do so with a standard A to B narrative, but rather through the refractions of a hallucinatory fever dream style. The grainy lo-fi footage recalls documentary footage, or even home movies, but its arrangement and composition has elements of renaissance painting and Soviet montage, whereby allusions and symbols are layered upon the sick and melancholy reality in which Dr. Hess Green has found himself, after being stabbed by a ritual dagger by an unstable assistant (who himself reflects the victim/murder dichotomy through his violent ideations). At the periphery of all this, all sorts of details add fascinating texture to a story that often holds you at arms length (at least in classical narrative terms, as it's always powerfully emotive). There are interesting details on class and religion that are always bubbling beneath the surface and coloring the hazy phantasmagoria of the films genre elements, which are all rendered with a queasy lucidity that contrasts the feverish artistry of most of the film. I don't think I understood everything Ganja & Hess has to offer, and I'm not sure one can, but as an experience I've never seen anything quite like it.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BOGY3NTc1OTktNmQ4Ni00YTU2LWI3YjktYzBkZDhlYjUzZGJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

34. Final Exam (1981)
This was probably the most generic slasher I have watched yet. The majority of the run time is a really bad frat movie and when the kills finally arrive they are rather dull and lack any suspense. The most memorable part of the movie is the fraternity "plays a prank" that consists of a mass shooting at the school so one of the frat bros can cheat and get an 82% on his test..... what.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
25. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979, Werner Herzog ) ★★★½

Other than Klaus Kinski and some nice shots, there isn't much here.

26. Angst (1983, Gerald Kargl) ★★★★½

Banging soundtrack. One of the most legit disturbing murders I've seen in a film.

27. The Shout (1978, Jerzy Skolimowski) ★★★★½

They managed to make a movie about magic that was unsettling instead of corny.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
TigersAreNotAfraid-still5.jpg

Pan without the labyrinth.

Tigers Are Not Afraid follows a group of young children living on the streets of a Mexican city that has been devastated by an ongoing drug war. After one of the children gets their hands on a gang member's cell phone, they try to find a way to get themselves out of a bad situation. Meanwhile, one of the children is given three wishes, but every time she uses one bad things happen.

A setting that is too real to be fake. Everything about the atmosphere looks so authentic, which is terrifying in and of itself. This is a real war and you can see it in the streets, inside buildings and on the faces of all the children. Think of The Last of Us minus the infected.

This film is dominated by child actors, and the terrific script really brings the character's they're portraying to life. It's if The Goonies and Pan's Labyrinth had a baby. You keep watching because you actually care what happens to these kids. Will they find what they're looking for? Will they even survive?

It's both magical and terrifying at times, in more ways than one. These kids shouldn't have to go through this. The lenses they use to view the world with is just so amazingly mystical, it's beautiful to watch how the plot progresses.

A must watch for all.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pawma98DC31wadukvo3_500.gifv

20. Let Me In (2010)

A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire next door who may be in trouble after killing another neighbor.

First time watching, what a fun movie. Let Me In is well directed, with decent acting and an intriguing plot. Great music too, which hits at opportune moments. The way they portrayed the pre-teen, awkward romance stage between a boy and a girl with a vampire twist was just perfection. This is a lethal vampire too, one that will fuck shit up in a heartbeat. This is the best modern vampire story I've seen in decades.

👻👻👻👻 out of 5

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Sorority Movies Mini-Marathon!
(Aka there were so many of these friggin' things in the 80s I decided to watch a whole stack of 'em.)

ke0Dejl.jpg

14) The House on Sorority Row (1982) [Mark Rosman] (Oct 14)

After a prank goes wrong, a group of sorority sisters attempt to hide their mistake while still hosting their graduation party as they begin to go missing one-by-one.

The House on Sorority Row is a pretty standard early slasher. Definitely the most fun thing about it is how the characters come off as a bunch of bumbling idiots as they attempt to hide a body for most of the movie. A great orchestrated score adds to the quality, and actually makes it feel more like something from the early 70s rather than the 80s. Spoiler: The typical one last scare made the ending feel too abrupt and left a bad taste in my mouth, though.

Overall, a fun and well made slasher that's not all that unique today, but that probably wasn't an issue for it back in 1982.

Worth checking out. 3 / 5

NA4bOm0.jpg

15) Sorority House Massacre (1986) [Carol Frank] (Oct 15)

I don't even need to write a synopsis for this one. It's Halloween 1-2's plot with some A Nightmare on Elm Street inspired nightmare sequences thrown in.

As soon as I started up Sorority House Massacre and saw it was only 74 minutes, I knew I was in trouble. That's one of the telltale signs a cheap cash-in made to fill up shelves at video stores in the 80s. And well, that's what it turned out to be.

I wasn't expecting a good movie, but I also didn't expect it to be so lethargic. I have no idea how they managed to make 2 sequels out of this lifeless bore, unless they're totally unrelated plot-wise. Perhaps the most interesting thing about Sorority House Massacre is that everyone is dressed like a 1980s real estate agent.

Just dull. 1.5 / 5

VPPaYIf.jpg

16) Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl-O-Rama (1988) [David DeCoteau] (Oct 16)

When an 80s hazing prank goes horribly wrong, a group of college students free a mischievous imp from his imprisonment in a bowling trophy they were tasked to steal.

Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl-O-Rama's only claim to fame (aside from the mouthful of a title) is that it stars the 80s scream queens trinity, Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens and Michelle Bauer. Other than that, there isn't really much to it. For a comedy, it's not particularly funny and they clearly didn't have any money for effects work, so aside form a decent imp puppet and some severed heads, there isn't much else. Most of the violence is shot so everything is either obscured by something else or just cut away from before anything happens. They did have a fire stunt though! I didn't expect that to be in the budget.

At least at only 80 minutes Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl-O-Rama doesn't have the time to drag on and become boring. It's not the worst movie I've seen, but there's really nothing worth your time unless you're a massive fan of the 80s scream queens.

Skip it. 1 / 5

qXAcfXR.jpg

17) The Initiation (1984) [Larry Stewart, Peter Crane] (Oct 17)

"Marcia? Marcia!"

A sorority pledge who is haunted by nightmares of her amnesia shrouded youth is forced to partake in a pledge ritual in a mall after hours were a hazing prank goes horribly out of control when a crazed killer crashes the party.

The Initiation focuses more on suspense like Halloween rather than extreme bloodletting like other early 80s slashers. The plot is kind of all over the place as it starts off more of a psychological horror movie, then switches over to a slasher for the second half. There's nothing overly memorable aside from having Vera Miles, Clu Gulager and Princess Vespa in the cast, but there's just something about it that makes it work.

Overall, The Initiation is kind of messy, but the empty mall makes for a great location and the characters are likeable and fun. It has a charm to it that I liked quite a bit.

Hardly a classic, but worth checking out. 3 / 5

d3DDzdl.jpg

18) Hell Night (1981) [Tom DeSimone] (Oct 18)

When yet another hazing ritual goes wildly out of control, a group of sorority pledges who were tasked with spending the night in a murder house must survive more than a couple bad pranks.

Okay, wow. How is Hell Night not spoken about more often? I thought it was fantastic. This blend of old dark house thriller and 80s slasher may not the most unique or ambitious movie in the world, but I thought they nailed everything they set out to do. I'm not sure if it was their intent, but it feels like they tried to make a modern (well, modern for 1981, anyway) Universal horror movie. The production values are incredible for what it is. Amazing location and costumes, an exciting monster and great actors who make their characters a lot of fun. The kills were also crazy exciting. They're all swift and brutal as hell, even if it's not overly gory or excessive as other early 80s slashers. I especially enjoyed all the little things they set up earlier to have them pay off later. It's refreshing to see an 80s movie actually have a continuity like that.

I honestly don't understand the lukewarm reception Hell Night seems to have gotten. I thought it was a blast from start to finish. It's one of the highlights of my month for sure.

Definitely recommended. 4 / 5

v5KCPXY.png

Bonus - Masters of Horror

In my first year of the marathon, I began watching the Masters of Horror series and was counting them as movies. I only managed to get though the first 2 Blu-rays before deciding my time would be better spent watching full movies, so I shelved the rest. Now being my 10th year, I've decided to finish off the first season as bonus viewings.

PSACTQF.jpg

Bonus 02) Masters of Horror - Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (s01e01) [Don Coscarelli] (Oct 18)

Don Coscarelli (the Phantasm series) starts the series off with Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, a Texas Chainsaw Massacre style tale about a woman being stalked by a maniac in the woods after a car accident.

Overall, nothing too original, but there's a cool twist to it which I won't spoil. And it's nice to see Angus Scrimm have a role with more dialogue than The Tall Man, so we get to enjoy another performance from him.

A decent start to the series. 3 / 5

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Week 1: The Unholy Trinity
  1. Rosemary's Baby
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Exorcist
Week 2: Keeping It Classic
  1. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)*
  2. Cat People (1942)*
  3. Dead of Night (1945)*
  4. House of Wax (1953)*
  5. The Creature from the Black Lagoon*
  6. King Kong (1933)*
  7. Godzilla (1954)*
Week 3: Slasher Central
  1. Sisters (1973)*
  2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
  3. Peeping Tom*
  4. The Burning*
  5. Dressed to Kill (1980)*
  6. Prom Night (1980)*
  7. When A Stranger Calls (1979)*
Week 4: In Recent Years
  1. Tigers Are Not Afraid*
  2. Sputnik*
sputnik02.jpg

It's not Splice; this movie is nice!

Sputnik is about a cosmonaut that returns to Earth after an unexplained incident happens to his team's space craft during an orbital expedition. Upon returning to Earth, he is monitored at an isolated military facility. Unbeknownst to him, he brings back an extraterrestrial symbiotic lifeform and a special psychiatrist is summoned to the facility in order to figure out how to separate the two from each other.

This movie is really good at progressively feeding you information little by little. The pacing is great because you're always learning something of value to the plot; there's never a dull moment.
And yes, there might be a twist.

You expect this to be a movie solely about a killer alien, but the reason the film is so good is because it's much more than that. Things don't entirely unfold how you think they will and they definitely don't end the way you expect them to. Movies like Life or Splice don't compare because the entire focus is the alien and everything else falls to the wayside. The protagonist here is actually likable, just as likable as the star attraction itself.

It's Ex Machina but if the AI were a parasitic host.

If you want a great sci-fi horror movie and you're tired of watching Event Horizon and Alien every year, this is the movie for you.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
33. The Amaranth (2018)

A pretty tight thriller that comments on class divisions, inequality, and morality through light sci-fi in a luxurious retirement home. The ending I thought was extremely poignant.

34. The Mandela Effect (2019)

A stupid movie that thinks it's super smart.

It's a movie based on meme that posits that a gamer, well game dev, can rise up and write quantum code like he's writing Q Basic

Dumb, boring

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
20. Scooby-Doo (2002)
A pretty bad adaptation of a beloved 70's cartoon. You can clearly tell that the film was originally going to be aimed at an older audience: there are some random adult jokes and a weird Pamela Anderson cameo. The twist also feels tacked on and leaves a lot of the mystery unanswered. On a positive note, Lillard and Cardellini are quite good as Shaggy and Velma. 4/10

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#19. Child's Play 2 - Continuing with the same kid as the first movie really highlights how sad this whole thing is. The mother from the first film has been put into a psychiatric hospital because she supports her son's notion that the Chucky doll is a murderer and the kid has been put into foster care. Chucky then finds Andy again and alienates him from his new foster family. This doll is really ruining this poor kid's life. As far as horror sequels go, it's nothing special but it's serviceable. The relationship between Andy and Kyle was cute and the set piece in the doll factory was pretty cool. Chucky has about 3 fakeout death scenes in that final 10 minutes alone.

Week Four (Oct 18-24): Blood Runs Thicker than Water... (Oct 19)

eeddd7340626c9fd65d8c03519ef30fc.jpg

Ever the versatile premise for many a horror tale, twins lend themselves well to just about any kind of horror film. The idea of someone being born at the same time as you, from the same mother, lends itself to a kind of existential intrigue that suits the material well whenever it shows up. Supernatural tales? Practically a dedicated sub-genre. Psychic thrillers? Are there ever! Even a slasher or two has been known to utilize their services for either a surprise killer, or even as a surprise of there being two killer all along. It's hard to overstate the versatility they possess across the board, to the point where it can actually get a little tough to find something new and exciting with how thoroughly mined they've been by now.

The film in question here doesn't necessarily reinvent any wheels here in that regard, but it does boast an interesting quality to its use of twins here. Jacki and Julian have returned from school abroad to one of their father's flats in London, and almost immediately, one gets the sense that their relationship is decidedly off. Though incest is never off the table at all, and the film even implies a desire for such among the pair, the askew nature of their relationship feels much more off than kinky titillation can provide, and instead comes across as a kind of arrested development that they share as a result of spending so much of their lives together. "I am You, You are Me" goes their mantra, as if needing to be uttered to maintain the bond that they share, though it's hard to avoid the near-ritualistic tendencies they both possess throughout. It's a very grounded film in that regard, but it leaves just enough uncertainty to why and how they operate as they become a cause for celebration in the London underground scene overnight that gives off a curious yet pleasant air of the supernatural, as if they may have some actual magic in them to be so desirable by all, regardless of gender.

It certainly doesn't hurt that both Judy Geeson, a long way's away from being the star pupil for Sidney Poitier, and Martin Potter are both devastatingly beautiful people that makes it easy to see why so many are quick to gravitate around them with the kind of glow that they emit, but their innocent guise seems to attract all kinds of the wrong attention as well. In a surprising yet mostly welcome twist, the twins find themselves unexpectedly in the really underground part of the London underground scene, as they quickly enter into the orbit the gay culture. Guiding them there, however, is the charismatic yet slimy Clive, played with charismatic and definitely slimy perfection by Alexis Kanner, who is not above exploiting anybody and anything to suit his own ends. Though this film wound up getting a lot of controversy in the UK for the incestuous themes in the story, I actually suspect that the engagement with the gay culture here was what really tipped people over into outrage, as it simultaneously presents generally quite alright folks that just happen to be gay while also leaning hard into the way Clive manages to find all the harmful stereotypes lurking in the shadows as well, culminating in a deeply disturbing and troubling sequence in which his efforts to exploit the twins for profit results in the film leaning hard into the "cross-dressers can't wait to rape you" standby that, while not graphic, certainly gets the point across. It's easy to sum that up as "one step forward, one step back" as far as queer representation is concerned for that time period, but boy, can it feel like a really big step back with the fallout that it does generate immediately and later on in the story.

The horror elements here are present, but not really out in the forefront as I think I would have liked. I suspect this had to do with the way that this story was adapted for the screen, as my research pointed out that this film was adapted from a story that was told in a fragmented, non-linear way, as the result of the central act of horror that propels this film instead into its third act. It's hard not to see how that would have worked just as well on the screen as it did in text, which makes the more linear and conventional plotting here all the more stodgy in comparison. There is a good amount of tension on the screen due to how the relationship of the twins is canvassed, for sure, but it lacks a certain level of impending doom throughout that I think the original framing could have brought to the tale as it's told here.

For its narrative opportunities and icky relationship it has with its queer elements, I can't help but admire a lot of what was accomplished here for its strongest qualities. Chief among them was managing to secure the services of the legendary Geoffrey Unsworth as the director of photography, who has such a strong and striking way through the film in terms of framing and lighting throughout that gives the film a very strong charge indeed, along with some inspired camerawork that mobilizes in unexpected yet highly effective ways. I especially liked the choice to shot a lot of the flat with a kind of exaggerated chromatic aberration applied to it, giving the home base for the twins a very ethereal vibe to it that fits their idyllic hopes for the world that they want to live in, contrasting nicely with how it actually is on the streets of London's seedier side. The performances are also rather good across the board, with Geeson and Potter constantly engaging with their dialogue with each other, and getting a little extra help from Michael Redgrave in one of his last roles never hurts, with his character representing an interesting look into how the higher society mingles with so-called "degenerates" at that time. And indeed, it's hard not to notice that being of a particular concern throughout, as the end of Swinging London seems to be brought on not by the younger generation flaming out, but by the older generation finding their place in it and co-opting it, turning the film into a fascinating cultural snapshot of a bygone era.

It culminates in a refreshingly low-key final confrontation between the twins that's well considered on all fronts from an emotional standpoint, bringing things to a head in a shocking yet not at all lurid manner. The air at this point is thick with tragedy as their world they once shared no longer exists, thereby giving them no place to call their own after all this time. Even as the conclusion seems somewhat fated, it is pulled off with a lot of skill as their time draws to a close, pursued for too long and with far too much on their minds to see any other way out of their predicament. The note the film ends on implies that they simply grew up too fast and too late, and with it go their unusual glow. The film's alternate title, the daffy Twinsanity, suggests the kind of film that you may have wanted from the premise here, but it seems clear that the original title was the correct one with the somber note the film ends on and stayed largely on track to get there in the first place. It could have been a tighter film all around, but it does boast a strange power to leave a strong impression all the same.

26/38

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day 20 - Hellbound: Hellraiser II, 1988 (NEW)

tumblr_n0g4lzSGV51qdwfz0o1_400.gifv

I've seen the original Hellraiser a couple times, and I'm a big fan. Great effects, simple but effective story, hits all the right notes. Hellraiser II is pretty does all the same things, but worse. Not badly, just... worse.

The characters are significantly more one-note, with the new additions (the doctor, Kyle, that mute girl) all being pretty forgettable, and the returning cast getting less to work with. I didn't find Julia a particularly compelling character the first time, and she's not any better for round two. The setting - mental hospital followed by imposing dreamscape - feels weirdly conventional after the fully realized "suburban horror" of the first. (Though I will give a shoutout to the doctor's creepy study as a great set.) And the effects all get the job done, but it's just a lot harder to keep things up for another 100 minutes.

Like I said, though, none of it is done BADLY. Like, the guy hallucinating maggots? Truly disgusting. Some of that hellscape imagery? Gnarly. And I don't even mind the backstory for Pinhead and the Cenobites... I don't think it was strictly necessary, but if you were gonna do it, that's probably the most creatively fulfilling way.

I guess that actually sums up the movie - don't think it was NEEDED, but if there was a gun to your head, I can't complain about the way it was done.

WEEK 1 - 100 Years of Horror
Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde | Bonus: Häxan

WEEK 2 - Creature Features
Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man & The Invisible Man Returns | Bonus: The Invisible Man

WEEK 3 - In Living(?) Color
The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The War of the Gargantuas, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria & House | Bonus: The Love Witch

WEEK 4 - Blood, Guts, and Videotape
Videodrome, Hellbound: Hellraiser II

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#20 - Alice, Sweet Alice

giphy.gif

Some overacting aside, Alice Sweet Alice is a competent slasher/murder mystery. Don't think I've seen an old school slasher quite like this one. A well-shot film dealing with some complex subjects - religious fanaticism, dysfunctional families, mental illness and such. Some good slashy scenes, some genuinely sad moments. Enjoyed it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
20. The Ring
220px-Theringpostere.jpg

Surprisingly still a very good movie. One of the better American adaptations of Japanese horror. Good acting all around, and the effects work is great as well.

9/10

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
19) The Faculty (1998)

Witte4v.jpg

I don't think that a person should run unless he's being chased.

So, my slasherthon comes to a close with a film that...turns out isn't a slasher. Oops. However, this sci fi horror is a bit of a creature feature like Night of The Creeps, by way of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which it explicitly references), a dash of The Thing, and a pinch...eh, make that two pinches of MTV. Given I'm moving onto a selection of creature features next, this suits me just fine.

Luckily, the film is a lot of fun. It boasts an impressively recognizable cast, you can't move two feet without tripping over someone who went on to be a notable star in the 2000s. Elijah Wood, Josh Hartnett, Salma Hayek, Clea Duvall, Jordana Brewster, Famke Janssen, even Jon Stewart in a rare acting role pre-Daily Show, it goes on. Also Usher being on the poster above? He's in it for like five minutes and is not one of the main group. Classic marketing there. I didn't realize til the ending credits it was directed by Robert Rodriguez and written by Kevin Williamson, but it figures, their fingerprints are all over it. In a good way, that is, given they have each had their stinkers.

It's sort of charmingly dated in its late 90s characters and high school setting. A good sense of humour, some ropey but creative CG, decent twists and turns, it's a fine time.

Recommended.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't checked in for a few days, but I've still watched stuff since then. The list is as such...

21. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - 4 stars. I'm in that camp that's grown to really like this one. It's less a slasher like the first two movies and more of an extended Tales from the Crypt episode, and elevated by some really nice camerawork (Dean Cundey helps make this one) and a patented John Carpenter synth score. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it certainly is mine.

22. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - 3 stars. I've grown to like this one more on rewatches. Sure, it's an imitation of the first movie and doesn't have the cinematography or sound design of the previous movies, but it's still a totally competent slasher. Not groundbreaking, but completely entertaining. And boy, that ending shot is one of the best in the series.

23. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) - 2 stars. And we've reached the first dud. On top of the worst-looking mask so far, we have a movie packed with moments that are more at home in a Friday the 13th picture, not to mention characters. The new "lead" girl Tina is certainly one of the low points in the series. This would be the first one I'd say you can skip.

24. Wishmaster (1997) - 3 stars. Never checked this series out before, so I took a chance on this one and found a fun romp that's bolstered by some solid gore and makeup effects. Andrew Divoff makes this movie as the titular Djinn, and he was a big reason why it held my attention.

Next one isn't a full-length movie so I won't count it as one, but I'll mention it anyway:

Bonus 1: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - Man, this guy can't catch a break, can he? Between getting dunked on by everyone in the neighborhood and Linus' attempt to wait for the Great Pumpkin, you really want these guys to succeed. Nice charming animation and some good background music have helped make this one a classic.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Falling behind a bit but im going to catch up.

17. the ritual

One of the best Netflix originals, in my eyes. Had me hanging by a thread and I'm glad to finally see the creature that I kept seeing in YT thumbnails. The paranoia and camaraderie of the cast reminded me of Blair Witch. Recommend.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
19. Tomb of Ligeia (1965)

Another Poe adaptation with Vincent Price that ends kind of similar to House of Usher actually lol. Now him along with his new bride are tormented by his first wife, which includes a creepy black cat. It is another solid flick that does have some cool imagery, especially the dream sequence that Rowena has. Also nice touch that the actress played both her and Ligeia.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Day 1. Ghostbusters.★★★½
Day 2. Zombieland 2. ★★½
Day 3. Aliens. ★★★★
Day 4. Get Out. ★★★★
Day 5. Midsommar. ★★★★
Day 6. Beetlejuice.★★★★
Day 7. Hagazussa. ★★★
Day 8. Night of the Living Dead. ★★
Day 9. Ghostbusters 2. ★★★½
Day 10. Alien. ★★★★½
Day 11. Pan's Labyrinth.★★★★½
Day 12. Sleepy Hollow. ★★★½
Day 13. Suspiria (1977). ★★★
Day 14. Annihilation.★★★★
Day 15. Wickerman (1973). ★★★★
Day 16. Shaun of the Dead. ★★★★½
Day 17. IT (2017) ★★★½
Day 18. The Addams Family.★★★★½
Day 19. Addams Family Values.★★★★

Day 20. Hereditary. Toni Collette, man. She might have the all time crying scene for me. So hopeless and soul crushing. Which is funny because later on we have 20 year old (at the time?) Alex Wolff playing a high school kid, and his crying scenes remind me of my toddler nieces and nephews being put on time out. Not sure if he was supposed to be super immature or something. Him calling his mom "mommy" kind of made me feel like maybe they were. But the family falling apart aspect could be it's own movie without supernatural stuff and still be pretty good. But of course the supernatural is why things started going that way, even before they get into it officially. I let out a good old "oh hell no" when the first naked dude showed up lol.
★★★★

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
20) C.H.U.D. (1984)

51VXWOVQGZL._AC_.jpg

Thank god they deliver.

Well, colour me surprised. Given the term has taken on a new life recently, C.H.U.D. seemed like the perfect start to my mini creature feature fest.

However, having gone in expecting only a silly and dumb camp flick, I was caught off guard first by a higher quality than anticipated, and second by how much more seriously it took itself than such a name would suggest. For a film called Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers, it carries some great atmosphere. This is a bleak, filthy looking film. The early 80s New York is gloomy, grimy and decaying. Even before we descend into the twisted grey tunnels and glistening sewers underneath where the mutants lie waiting, this is a city of glum hobos and steaming manholes, with trash scattered like autumn leaves. Films of New York from the 70s to early 90s often have this look and feel, and this is a great example; a city rotting from the inside out. The droning synth score and grainy, sometimes even scratchy print only helps.

Now, with all that said, this is a B-movie, with a B-movie plot. Radioactive waste (and yes, it's glowing green) has made killer mutants under New York, and there's conspiratorial coverups afoot. It's a camp plot, but they play it all straight. It touches on a lot of relevant topics to the 80s, government distrust, nuclear fears, dying cities, homelessness, etc, albeit for the purpose of an entertaining horror film rather than any deep treatise. But it's an interesting backdrop, this snapshot of the era. Its ambition might outweigh its budget and indeed its runtime, but I appreciate that it tried to develop its characters and setting. I watched the newer Integrated Cut, which it seems adds back in some solid character scenes previously included in TV edits, but without the gore removal those TV broadcasts also had. I'll assume this is the best version of the film because there's nothing in there I'd cut, and in fact it could probably be a little longer. The C.H.U.D.s themselves are a tad movie monster looking, but I like their design (their claws creeping out of manholes gripping the covers is a cool image even if the hands are a little rubbery), though they kind of peter out in the third act a little.

I forgive a lot when I enjoy a film's atmosphere, so perhaps I am overselling it. But given I expected total schlock, I came away impressed, and I can see why it became a cult favourite. There's also John Heard and Daniel Stern starring, a very strange Home Alone prequel.

Recommended.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
18. Revenge

Fever dream of a movie. Swore I was watching Drive and playing Hotline Miami combined. Best soundtrack in my marathon yet.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
#20 Hellraiser - good/10
First time watching. I've seen 2 but thought it was 1. I think I prefer the 'scale' of 2. Lots more going on and cool hell visuals in that one IIRC. It takes a bit too long for
Frank
to get into action, and once he is its lessened when you know there is all this cool hell stuff that could be going on. I love these kinds of SFX and the cenobites are cool. I like the teeth guy the best.

Changed some here because more context for ranks. By mistake my ratings actually are on a (very unequal) 10 point scale. I wouldn't finish anything bad or terrible and old is a side-grade.

#1 Cube - good/10
#2 The Last House on the Left 1972 - whatever/10
#3 Hell House LLC - good/10
#4 The Collector - great/10
#5 The Collection - good/10

#6 Repo! The Genetic Opera - great/10
#7 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - whatever(+)/10
#8 The Lighthouse - great(+)/10
#9 Secret Window - good/10
#10 Midsommar - whatever(-)/10

#11 Hereditary - good(-)/10
#12 The Black Tower - art/10
#12 part II, Friday the 13th Part VI - great/10
#13 Fright Night - great/10
#14 Killer Klowns from Outer Space - art/10

#15 House on Haunted Hill - old/10
#16 Wishmaster - good(+)/10
#17 Phantasm - good/10
#18 Dark City Director's Cut - art/10
#19 Invasion of the Body Snatchers - good(-)/10

#20 Hellraiser - good/10

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYzg2Mjg1MDMtZmQzZi00NTQzLWFkNGQtNDFjMzk2NTdiNGNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

35. Hell Night (1981)
This had a lot going for it but the execution didn't live up to the possibilities. I loved the gothic haunted house setting and the movie did a good job of setting up the atmosphere around it. Unfortunately the majority of the movie dragged and could have easily been 15 minutes shorter.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
31 Days of Horror #24: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
Texas_chainsaw_massacre_2_poster.jpg

Out of all the possibilities for a Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel, I never imagined that one Tobe Hooper would go with would involve Dennis Hopper spending approximately half the fucking movie chainsawing wooden support beams while screaming that he's going to drag the whole place down to hell. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has, understandably, become something of a coked-out cult classic in recent years...but I found it a lot more obnoxious than hilarious. The first film already had a deep, dark streak of comedy than ran through it, so to make the sequel a gonzo comedy that mistakes repetition and volume for humor and energy seems to miss the point. This isn't an Alien —> Aliens style genre shift, as there's no even trade here. TCM 2 has approximately zero of the qualities that made the first film so good, and in exchange brings...Rob Zombie's entire, annoying, schtick? I will say that the production design, featuring vast subterranean sets lit with all manner of colored bulbs and decorated like an abattoir, is inspired and Savini's effects are some of the grossest he's ever worked on, but those qualities don't outweigh having to sit through scenes of Bill Mosley screeching the same thing over and over again. Despite its reputation for manic energy, nearly every scene in this feels like it goes on for about twice as long as it should; there's nothing worse than a slasher that doesn't know how to cut.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
the_alchemist_cookbook_film_poster_by_neon_slumlord_d9w0wlq-fullview.jpg

21. The Alchemist Cookbook (2016)

Young outcast Sean has isolated himself in a trailer in the woods, setting out on alchemic pursuits, with his cat Kaspar as his sole companion. Filled with disdain for authority, he's fled the daily grind and holed up in the wilderness, escaping a society that has no place for him. But when he turns from chemistry to black magic to crack nature's secret, things go awry and he awakens something far more sinister and dangerous.

This one is a very slow burn with only two people in the entire film, the majority of it with just Ty Hickson as Sean. I enjoyed this even with how minimalist it was. You almost have to watch it twice or pay real close attention to what Sean is doing. He's out there in the woods with a cat. Fishing, collecting things outdoors, reading a demonic book, mixing battery acid with other chemicals, singing and dancing, eating Doritos, sacrificing possums. What exactly is he doing? Things begin to take a much darker turn as the film goes on, and in the end Sean will have to face the demons he's conjured up. But the true horror is watching Sean's descent into madness out in the woods alone, which Ty Hickson nails 100%. Not for everyone, but if you like thinking man's horror check it out.

👻👻👻 out of 5

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the films I've seen so far, Revenge might've been the one where I took some liberties when it comes to "horror". But hey, can't blame me. It's on Shudder and the wiki page also says horror. Although it felt more like an action thriller. With that being said it is another favorite movie of mine that I took too long to watch. I've got a few misses this month, and a few forgettables, but the ones that hit? They hit hard.