Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1. Ouija: Origin of Evil
2. His House

This was a very solid ghost movie with a fairly unique point-of-view. The real standout was the performances from the two leads, who each have their own way of handling their shared trauma. The scares felt very front-loaded, but the drama in the second half is still powerful even if it starts to move away from the supernatural. Somehow I kept drawing parallels to Silent Hill 4, but I think it's just the concept of being stuck in a horrific place while the visible outside world continues to be normal, which was always the part of the game that stuck with me the most.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm kind of a Giallo nut, but I'll give you a few of my favorites. Unfortunately, Suspiria isn't really a Giallo film.

Don't Torture A Duckling
Phenomena
Deep Red
Sleepless
What Have You Done To Solange
Torso
New York Ripper (very sleazy film though)
Opera
Stagefright
Blood and Black Lace
A Blade In the Dark
Twitch of The Death Nerve/Bay of Blood
Dressed To Kill
Bird in a Crystal Plumage

Cheers. Question for ya, are most of these considered horror or more mystery flicks? I kinda wanna watch as much horror as I can.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
#4 - The Hunger (1983)
DM9kZQrV4AE8uyI.jpg

Pros:
-Amazing Gothic visuals
-Great acting
-Original spin on vampire lore
-Great makeup effects
-Interesting and engaging throughout

Cons:
-The ending sequence is a tad confusing.

Overall: 8/10. Even though I'm only 4 movies in, this is my favorite first time viewing so far. One thing I value almost above all in the horror films I watch is originality, and this plot had me hooked from the moment I was shown that this wasn't going to be your standard vampire film. The acting is great, the way David Bowie's character was utilized really brought me into the film, and even though the event that kicks off the ending is a bit confusing, I really don't have many negative things to say about it.

In my opinion the Hunger is one of the greatest Vampire movies of all time. And David Bowie was amazing!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
03. Zombi 3 (1988, Lucio Fulci & Bruno Mattei) ★★★★

This movie is a complete mess. An extremely entertaining mess that probably benefits from barely being a Fulci movie.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I can participate this year, I watched a scary movie called MONSTER HOUSE. It is a movie about house that is a monster. I'm looking for spooky stuff to show my 5 year old and there's really not very much out there. People were even complaining about this just because some fat lady gets encased in concrete, big deal. On tap for the rest of the month I've got Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, and Paranorman all of which I've never seen. Might also throw in Coraline which I have seen.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#3. The Descent - Neil Marshall can sure do a lot with very little. Before we even get to the monsters, the film does a great job at portraying spelunking as being pretty damn scary. The monsters are pretty cool looking and although the encounters with them are shot with lots of shaky cam and close ups which can be annoying, it does add to the sense of claustrophobia and disorientation that the setting brings. Lots of cool creative lighting as well. I'm aware that there was a cut that ended on a slightly more positive not but I got the more depressing one which is for the best.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
#3. The Descent - Neil Marshall can sure do a lot with very little. Before we even get to the monsters, the film does a great job at portraying spelunking as being pretty damn scary. The monsters are pretty cool looking and although the encounters with them are shot with lots of shaky cam and close ups which can be annoying, it does add to the sense of claustrophobia and disorientation that the setting brings. Lots of cool creative lighting as well. I'm aware that there was a cut that ended on a slightly more positive not but I got the more depressing one which is for the best.

This is one of my favorite horror flicks that I rewatch at least once a year. I really, really enjoy it. Its so damn rewatchable. The scene with Sarah getting stuck always takes my breath away, I would probably die of anxiety. I also hate that "positive" ending with a passion, the proper ending is perfect, in my opinion.

Glad you enjoyed it. Steer clear from the sequel, its bad.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey I can participate this year, I watched a scary movie called MONSTER HOUSE. It is a movie about house that is a monster. I'm looking for spooky stuff to show my 5 year old and there's really not very much out there. People were even complaining about this just because some fat lady gets encased in concrete, big deal. On tap for the rest of the month I've got Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, and Paranorman all of which I've never seen. Might also throw in Coraline which I have seen.

The House with a Clock in Its Walls is a pretty good PG scary movie. You might want to scope the scarier parts first though, just to be sure. I think it's on par with the other stuff you mentioned, but since it's not animated it might hit different.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favorite horror flicks that I rewatch at least once a year. I really, really enjoy it. Its so damn rewatchable. The scene with Sarah getting stuck always takes my breath away, I would probably die of anxiety. I also hate that "positive" ending with a passion, the proper ending is perfect, in my opinion.

Glad you enjoyed it. Steer clear from the sequel, its bad.
Hah, I was thinking of watching the sequel but maybe not. Then again, what are these October marathons without a few terrible sequels.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hah, I was thinking of watching the sequel but maybe not. Then again, what are these October marathons without a few terrible sequels.

I fully believe one should always experience something "bad" for himself if only so we can "yup that was bad". And hey sometimes you end up liking it even if it's bad.

It's why the concept of "advice not to do something" is alien to me.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2. Frankenstein (1931)

220px-Frankenstein_poster_1931.jpg

Universal was really all in on this "wedding canceled due to science gone wrong!" Plot line. The story of Frankenstein (the movie, anyway) is so heavily ingrained that it's hard to be scared of him now but I can definitely see how this was scary back then. The makeup on Boris Karloff and the camerawork are fantastic. The film could definitely do with an internal score because this may have been back during the time where that was done live. Acting is that level of dramatic that you can only expect from the 30s. Ending is a little abrupt though.. Overall I had fun with it and it lived up to my expectations

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYTc0NWIwOTYtNzEwYi00YmUyLTlmYWYtYjJiZjRjN2RjMjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

02. Malignant (2021) (New) 4/5
Went into this blind and the first hour had me wondering what the hype was about but once "that part" happens and it clicked that this was a big budget campy b movie, I really enjoyed it.
Watched this tonight. The tone of the film never really settled in for me. It feels like an 80's horror script that someone finally got around to filming in like 2006. Just did not work for me. Kudos to an interesting villain and of course "that" scene where the film goes into overdrive for the final 15 minutes. Not particularly moved by this film either way though, definitely not something I can see myself rewatching or necessarily recommending to others; I had an okay time.

Only standout issue for me - aside from the tone just being so campy you could cut the shlock with a knife - is the scene in the jail cell, particularly it's portrayal of minorities and criminals. It felt tone-deaf to the point of being somewhat concerning/unsettling, and not in a good "make the audience comfortable" way but in a "whoever greenlit this needs to stop watching bad primetime crime dramas" way. Not sure what the whole point of it was really. Felt like a creatively bankrupt way to catalyze the film's final act.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
2) Silent Hill.

Honestly it's pretty trash story wise, I was hyped for Pyramid Head, that's where it ended for me.

Deleted, never owning again.

On to day 3!

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #04 – The Hallow

ZBaARsY.jpg

The Hallow is a tense, entertaining and occasionally very creepy fairytale / parasitic infection mash-up, set in and around a dark and menacing Irish forest. A young couple and their baby son have recently moved to the area, brought there by the husband's job as a 'tree doctor', employed by the forest's new owners to assess the health of the trees before logging can begin. The locals both resent and are frightened for them, and the couple are warned to stay out of the woods, as their nearest neighbour's daughter once walked in, never to walk out again, 'stolen by the fae'. Naturally enough the couple ignore this advice and very quickly things start going horribly wrong.

The acting is excellent, there's some fabulous creature design, and the effects (mainly practical with a bit of CGI) are pretty solid. The film also has a ton of atmosphere, with the Irish countryside looking in turns beautiful and extremely unwelcoming. Of course there is one moment when the family don't run away when they absolutely should, but that's almost obligatory with this type of movie, and for the most part the characters and both believable and likeable. One of the things I really enjoyed about the film was the ambiguity at its heart. Can everything that's going on be explained scientifically, or is there some deeper magic at work in the woods? I'm hoping for the latter, and though it probably won't happen, the satisfying ending definitely allows for a sequel.

Score: 4 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
A Giallo film question which I realise I should have asked earlier. Sub or dub?

Because I know half the cast was speaking one language and the other half the other language, but is there typically a director preference?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
3. Revenge (2017)

Solid rape/revenge flick, which you basically know what you're getting before seeing it and know how everything will play out. You see...some messages can be blunt and be shouted loud from the rooftops over and over again It's interesting when comparing it to my viewing of Day of the Woman from last October. That film was shot much more amateur-like than this, which actually has some talent behind the camera. Director, Coralie Fargeat brings a much different perspective than Meir Zarchi, whose success here is bolstered having (what I assume) is a woman's touch.

Both films cover similar ground but highlight different aspects. It's fitting that the leads of both films are named Jennifer. Jennifer (1978) was "asking for it" simply by having the audacity to be friendly to her attackers, and for sunbathing at her private residence where others could see her. Jen (2017) has her sexuality put more up front and on full display. She's having an affair with a married man. She does this all while consistently wearing skimpy outfits in front of him and his friends. She also dances with her attacker, effectively teasing and flirting with him. What I like about Revenge's approach, is how it goes farther with the protagonists sexuality while making it absolutely clear that she WAS NOT asking for it. In a world where that disgusting excuse is still used, it's important to put it down as bullshit.

Both films are heavy on violence and blood, with this one using gallons upon gallons of the stuff, which has the effect to make it less disturbing since it's a bit less realistic. Which points to another big difference, Revenge seems to be a take on exploitation without having to be that exploitative. Unlike the miserable experience of watching Jennifer (1978) be raped over and over again over the course of a half hour or so, the actual act in Revenge is mostly off screen and more implied through visual cues. Day of the Woman makes the viewer complicit of the crime on screen, and gets it feminist point through by shocks. Revenge, instead, celebrates Jen becoming a badass as a result of the crimes against her, and wants us to cheer her on.

Which we do.

Granted, there's not much going on here outside of that, and it's a bit too long. While the direction has flair, it doesn't really ramp up any suspense. Its positives are enough to make the ride worth it though.

Cheers. Question for ya, are most of these considered horror or more mystery flicks? I kinda wanna watch as much horror as I can.

I've seen most of those, and I'll definitely place them all as horror. Granted, they all have mystery elements since that's a big part of the subgenre. I think I know where you're getting at though, some Giallo's are more thrillers than horror flicks, but those should all qualify for the latter.

Great films on that list as well.

2. Frankenstein (1931)

220px-Frankenstein_poster_1931.jpg

Universal was really all in on this "wedding canceled due to science gone wrong!" Plot line. The story of Frankenstein (the movie, anyway) is so heavily ingrained that it's hard to be scared of him now but I can definitely see how this was scary back then. The makeup on Boris Karloff and the camerawork are fantastic. The film could definitely do with an internal score because this may have been back during the time where that was done live. Acting is that level of dramatic that you can only expect from the 30s. Ending is a little abrupt though.. Overall I had fun with it and it lived up to my expectations

Dedicated scores were not really a thing for a couple of more years, if I remember correctly. I don't believe Frankenstein had live music aka like a silent film, and its silence is a deliberate choice. I actually think that approach works better for it, as the silence gives it a creepy vibe.

Bride of Frankenstein, however, does have an original score, and it's amazing. It's a different kind of film though than the first, and lends itself well to the bombastic approach.

Because I know half the cast was speaking one language and the other half the other language, but is there typically a director preference?

It depends take . I'll go sub, at least until around the 70's or so. I guess I usually decide based on what language is predominately being spoken by the main cast, which you can usually tell by lip reading (although it still isn't going to match in most cases, lol).

I always watch Mario Bava in Italian, and for some of his films the Italian versions are improvements over their American counterparts. Dario Argento, I typically go English.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
12. Tin Can 2020

A claustrophobic, Cronenbergian/Ridley Scott's Alien, minimalist sci-fi quasi body horror gem that invokes a bit of cube as well. The aspect ratio being one that prioritizes a vertical picture over a horizontal one really added to the atmosphere especially when we're in the tin can with the protagonist for nearly 30-50 minutes

An interesting mystery that when it unravels has some interesting reflections on humanity

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
1. Becky (2020)

Not a good movie, but one I had fun with. Kevin James as Nazi (which is kind of irrelevant) doesnt really work, but there was some nice gore and sometimes that is enough to make me happy.

5,5/10

2. Wrong Turn (2021)

Jesus, I really like the first, original movie. The sequels are bullshit and the reboot is even worse.

4/10

Another horrormovie I watched a few days ago: The empty Man. That was a good one. Had some very intense moments.

Last edited:

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
718156-werewolves-within-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#02 - Werewolves Within (2021)
It's a somewhat cute whodunnit with a werewolf twist. A snowy small town filled with wacky characters. Murders and shenanigans ensue. You know the drill. It's a bit quirky. It's a bit self-aware. At the best parts, it really is a good ol' time. At the worst parts, it's people yelling at and accusing each other, and the comedic aspect not really working. Unfortunately, the actual werewolf was kind of meh as well, which made the last act fall a bit flat. Decent performances all around though, the main actors were quite good and the colorful cast was fine as well. Loved the setting. Decent enough. 5/10

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
4. Resolution (dir. Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, 2012)
I have previously seen and loved The Endless which is semi-sequel to this film. This earlier work doesn't work quite as well as The Endless as the supernatural elements don't feel quite as well-integrated to the story. The ending particularly feels like it's from a completely different movie. I did enjoy the human elements like the depiction of addiction and the relationship between the main characters.
7/10

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
3. Spree (2020)

Joe Keery stars as Kurt, a rideshare driver who is obsessed with social media and getting a following. He's planned a night of violence to gain attention. The whole thing is shown through camera phones and security cameras and Instagram videos. This was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. It would make a decent double feature about social media fucking us up along with Ingrid Goes West.

3/5

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Film #04 – The Hallow

ZBaARsY.jpg

The Hallow is a tense, entertaining and occasionally very creepy fairytale / parasitic infection mash-up, set in and around a dark and menacing Irish forest. A young couple and their baby son have recently moved to the area, brought there by the husband's job as a 'tree doctor', employed by the forest's new owners to assess the health of the trees before logging can begin. The locals both resent and are frightened for them, and the couple are warned to stay out of the woods, as their nearest neighbour's daughter once walked in, never to walk out again, 'stolen by the fae'. Naturally enough the couple ignore this advice and very quickly things start going horribly wrong.

The acting is excellent, there's some fabulous creature design, and the effects (mainly practical with a bit of CGI) are pretty solid. The film also has a ton of atmosphere, with the Irish countryside looking in turns beautiful and extremely unwelcoming. Of course there is one moment when the family don't run away when they absolutely should, but that's almost obligatory with this type of movie, and for the most part the characters and both believable and likeable. One of the things I really enjoyed about the film was the ambiguity at its heart. Can everything that's going on be explained scientifically, or is there some deeper magic at work in the woods? I'm hoping for the latter, and though it probably won't happen, the satisfying ending definitely allows for a sequel.

Score: 4 out of 5

This movie does not get enough attention. The eco-folk-horror fungal-fae-body-horror siege is unique, thrilling, and gross

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Film #2. Possessor.

MV5BNWQyMGRhYzEtMTI3MS00MjBhLTgzNjEtNTg4YmUwYmIwYzhkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Neat concept, a mix between Matrix and Being John Malkovich. An assassin hijacking in to people's brain to take over and take out targets from her handler, sadly they don't do much with it and it's overly gory for no reason, would make more sense if it was a slasher with these same abilities but it's just an assassin and killing targets is enough. No need to shove down things down treats and scooping out eyeballs.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYWE5YzI0YWItMzkyMi00ODgzLThjNTAtYzVlMmZjZDA2ZWFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

04. Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) (Rewatch) 5/5
The best entry in the series and one of my favorite movies of all time. It's got a great group of teens, Tom Savini returning for some amazing kills and Crispin Glover dancing his heart out.

Honestly, it probably wouldn't hurt to show them most of the Universal Classic Monsters, as while they're definitely trying to be scary for their time, they're not particularly graphic. Plus, with them averaging about 70 minutes in length and some even less than that, they wouldn't overstay their welcome if your kid gets restless as five-year-olds tend to be in this day and age.

Like, maybe don't venture into the less supernatural pre-Code films like The Black Cat and Island of Lost Souls, but the monsters themselves are pretty safe territory to explore.

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
5. New - THE BLOB (1988) Loved it. Chuck Russell and Frank Darabont are a great horror team.

6. Rewatch - HUSH Fun going back to this after seeing Midnight Mass and the references to it.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Hm, maybe the original The Witches from 1990?

It is rated for 6 year olds here in germany (imo it is pretty creepy, maybe you should watch it before you show it to your child)

Last edited:

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
1) Gretel and Hansel - 1/5 - I heard good things about this movie, but I was disappointed. I never felt any sort of tension and the pacing of the movie is extremely slow. I had trouble staying awake for it.

2) Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 4/5 - I attended the AMC Thrill and Chill Event (They pick a random horror movie for you to watch). I stuck around because I only recalled seeing parts of this movie. Thought it was pretty enjoyable and pretty tense. It starts to fall apart for me at the end when I feel like characters are making dumb decisions.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017

I'd say go with whatever your personal preference is. I'm typically an original language with subtitles person for movies shot with traditional on set audio, but for movies shot without audio like gialli and other Italian movies of the time, I personally tend to go with the English dub.
My reasoning is, so many gialli use non Italian actors as the leads or take place outside of Italy watching the English dubs brings a bit of consistancy to them. And honestly, I think it adds to the charm.
I do run into the occasional movie where watching the Italian language dub would have been the better choice though, such as Deep Red and Four Flies on Grey Velvet. The modern releases for both have restored scenes where the English dub track was either lost or never recorded in the first place. There the audio switches over to Italian with English subtitles, and can pull you out of the movie.
I'll also go with the Italian dub if the English version has been tinkered with, like Black Sabbath being messed with, or Lisa and the Devil being destroyed in an attempt to make it an Exorcist clone. I usually check IMDbs "Alternate Versions" page to see if the English version has been compromised in any way.
I could be wrong on this, but I get the impression the directors tended to move on after the shooting was complete so there probably wasn't much of a preference in their eyes. If you're in Italy, you're gonna see it in Italian and English in if in America. It seems to me it was a very you-get-what-you-get type of opinion.

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
4 -- Re-Animator

(rewatch)
I've seen this one once before, about 10 years ago. It's awesome. It's gory, it's absurd, it's actually pretty tense at times, especially for Meg (to say the least). The score has a nice beat, makes it feel like party time in the morgue. And Jeffrey Combs, man, he just chews down the entire fucking thing, just goddamned amazing. I'll definitely check out the sequel.

OVERDOSE!!!!

(double-fist dual rave syringes straight into my veins)

First year trying this. Fit three into Day 1, which is great because my wife does not do horror, so I gotta sneak em in while I can.

1 -- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

(first watch)
I don't usually go for silent films too often, but this was interesting. Going in blind, I found the stage makeup and sets pretty neat. The geometry of the set design is all warped. Lighting is accented by paint, rays of light painted right on the walls, floors, furniture. As a hobbyist photographer, I found many of the shots visually striking, especially the close-ups of Caligari when he's doing his creep thing. Anyway, I liked it, but it wasn't really scary or exciting.

2 -- Dead & Buried

(first watch)
As a hobbyist photographer, mentioned above, holy shit at that opening! This one had plenty of creepy and gory moments, some cool makeup effects, and plenty of recognizable faces! Then again, I was practically done with it before I recognized Grandpa Joe....fuck you, Grandpa Joe.
Not the best or scariest, but a lot of fun, as the local cop tries to solve a bunch of murders in his small town, only for shit to get weirder and weirder. Sadly, not visually striking at all. Actually, it looked dark all the time. Even in daytime sunny outdoor scenes, everything looked dim. Fun though.

DOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBS!!!!

3 -- Prince of Darkness

(rewatch)
I decided to finish Day 1 with something in the science-nerds-study-ancient-green-satan-juice-weekend-lock-in genre. Of course, John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness really is the best example.

Man, I was late to this one as a Carpenter fan, but I've watched it a few times, and I love it every time. Genuinely creepy and tense at times, pretty cinematography, it's got that Carpenter score, that Carpenter imagination, some very cool moments, Bloody Snot-Face Lady, VHS dream beams--did I mention the ancient green satan juice? Made-up movie science, math, philosphy--graduate students all come together to earn that easy A, or get fucked up most evilly in the process.

I recommend this one. The fifteen-minute opening credits/exposition/Carpenter-theme segment where we meet the various characters makes it feel like some kind of cool 80s adventure.

Oh yeah, and I accidentally watched two Lisa Blount movies back to back. I had no idea.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

They aren't so much murder mysteries like you would find on the latest episode of NCIS or anything like that. But it's usually disguised serial killers committing brutal murders, and there being a twist at the end to discover who might be the killer. Think of a more stylish version of the first Friday the 13th or the first Saw film.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

My 4 year old loves Hotel Transylvania, but tapped out early on Monster House. There's also Nightmare Before Christmas, but I'm not sure if you haven't already shown your kid that one yet.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
4 -- Re-Animator

(rewatch)
I've seen this one once before, about 10 years ago. It's awesome. It's gory, it's absurd, it's actually pretty tense at times, especially for Meg (to say the least). The score has a nice beat, makes it feel like party time in the morgue. And Jeffrey Combs, man, he just chews down the entire fucking thing, just goddamned amazing. I'll definitely check out the sequel.

OVERDOSE!!!!

(double-fist dual rave syringes straight into my veins)

One of my favorites from the 80's. "Cat Dead, details later" It's camp is played perfectly and ups the anti every scene.

Oct 27, 2017
#3 The Hole
orRCKEj.gif

4 spoiled teenagers (including a young Keira Knightly) decide to skip the school field trip in favor of getting locked into a abandoned bomb shelter. I must say I don´t really buy the basic premise as to why these rich kids would opt for the unsanitary foodless hole in the ground where there is nothing to do, rather than the school trip, but I guess otherwise we don´t have a plot. First half of the movie is interesting enough, but I wish the unreliable narrator elements was developed a bit further or used in a different way. They way it was now, the movie basically just has to spend a lot of time explaining away previously established character motivations and personalities, and doesn´t take the time or effort to reestablish any alternatives that aren´t paper thin and eye-roll inducing. About halfway the movie completely runs out of steam, with no additional twists or revelations and just stumbles to the predictably dumb lackluster finale.

#4 A cure for wellness
cure-for-wellness-cure.gif

Still not really sure exactly how I feel about this one. Absolutely loved some of the scenes, but there is something off about the connective tissue and overall pacing. My main complaint isn´t really that it is too long, but that there is no real momentum and the plot is pretty thin once the basic outline has been established. The setting however is lovely and a lot of really stunningly beautiful shots. Felt a bit like someone spent way more money on this then they probably should have considering this movie does not really scream mass appeal. Also some incredibly effective gross stuff that hit a lot of my squeamish soft spots (slithering eels and teeth scenes in particular).
The ending left a bad taste in my mouth, though. Not that it came out of left field, but
incest rape
storylines just are not really my favorite, and would rather the movie had left some motivations more ambiguous and open ended or leaned more into Lovecraftian elements.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
13. The Most Dangerous Game 1932

A master class in how much you can do in an hour... I was more engaged in this and felt more for the protagonists than I do in 85+% of genre films.

62 minutes and it packed the satisfaction of 90 minutes.

Gem of a gem.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
3. Phenomena (October 2)
Things start off on familiar enough ground. A young girl is slashed to death in the Swiss alps by a mysterious madman before she crashes head first through a window. Pretty typical Giallo stuff. But somehow we wind-up with Jennifer Connelly solving the case because she talks to bugs (some of which are sexually attracted to her) and a straight razor wielding chimpanzee choosing violence, before ultimately embracing love. All backed by a righteous Goblin soundtrack that's augmented with Iron fucking Maiden and Motorhead tracks. Dreamlike, bizarre and utterly bad ass. Not quite peak Argento, but pretty damn close. Still my personal favorite in his filmography.

4. Censor (October 2)
Enid works as a film censor during height of the 1980s video nasties scare in the UK. Devoted to her job, she protects the public from moral rot. But her world turns upside down when she becomes obsessed with an actress who resembles her long missing sister. Powerful exploration of trauma built around a mesmerizing performance by Niamh Algar and laced together with lurid Mario Bava inspired lighting, strong sound design and a throbbing soundtrack. Algar imbues Enid with fathomless reserves of sadness, repression and denial. She deftly carries the film toward a wild finale where reality and fantasy blur into an explosion of violence that feels utterly inevitable. A fitting tribute to a bygone VHS era just as twisted and surreal as any of the video nasties.

Bold - First time watch

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #05 – Coven of Sisters

SjWzVmv.jpg

If I was going to be really strict with myself then I maybe wouldn't count this to my monthly total, as I'm not sure it really qualifies as a horror movie (despite being pretty bloody horrifying). I'm going to post about it here anyway because I liked it so much.

The year is 1609 and in a Basque Country fishing village where most of the menfolk are away at sea for long periods of time, a group of young female friends indulge in a night of innocent merrymaking. Not long afterwards they are accused by a judge of performing satanic rituals. This being the time of the Spanish inquisition means the group are now in real danger of being burnt at the stake, so they devise a plan where their long-winded and fantastical 'confessions' will keep the inquisitors occupied long enough for the fishermen to return to port.

The film is beautifully shot, very well acted and has a magical soundtrack. As it's a feminist fable whose central point is that the lustful weakness of strong men has been proving fatal for women for centuries now, it's definitely not a feel good movie, but the way the friends grow in power by embracing the role of the witch is mesmerising. And it has a truly fantastic final scene. Definitely recommended.

Score: 5 out of 5

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Had a busy weekend with 5 horror movies! All fairly light and fun.

2. Fear Street 1994
jdgGmBv.jpg

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I didn't really know what to expect, but I guess it was something more akin to Goosebumps. I liked the main cast of teens and this movie has one of the best kills in recent memory. Like holy shit. I may have even said that to myself. I kept thinking that someone was going to stop it, or the camera was going to cut away, but nope. Man, that part was great and probably what I'll remember most. 3/5

3. Fear Street 1978
azq4QDr.jpg

I liked this one even more than part 1. The actress from Stranger Things was great, and once again, there was a lot more gore than I expected. I found myself a bit more invested in the characters this time around. It was cool seeing the curly-haired teen from Halloween 2018 (the boyfriend's best friend character) in this movie as well. My friends all liked this, but I thought the music in both this one and the previous one was a little excessive. It's like half of their budget went toward licensing music from the proper era, and they hit you with it non-stop. I imagine I won't have this problem when I get around to 1666. 3.5/5

4. Malevolent
sBMfPAw.jpg

Netflix recommended this to me right after I finished Fear Street, so I went right into it, mostly because of Florence Pugh. Unfortunately, this movie didn't really give her much to do. A group of ghost hunters who go around defrauding people until they get to a real haunted house is a really cool concept, but the execution fell flat for me. The only character worth a damn in the whole movie was Pugh's Angela, and even then she was wasted. It fell flat both in scares and in the human drama aspect. 1/5

5. The Purge: Anarchy
1a99hWC.jpg

These movies are guilty pleasures of mine. I know they're not highly regarded, but I like them for some reason. Kinda like a new Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, just give me a new cast and new location, and the rest is rinse and repeat formulaic routine. This was my first time seeing this movie so I had no idea the dude who played Riley from Midnight Mass was in it, so it was cool seeing him. Just good dumb fun. 3/5

6. Happy Death Day
SH3JvCV.png

This was my favorite of the bunch. I didn't check a rating, but I'm guessing it was PG-13 because there wasn't much gore and the camera cut away on almost all of the kills. This is one you could easily recommend to someone who isn't too into horror. But I liked all of the characters, and the main girl especially. She did a great job on her progression. 4/5

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMTI4MTQ1NjQ2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkzMTMzMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

05. The Cave (2005) (New) 2/5
Watch The Descent instead. The Cave came out the same year and had a $30 million dollar budget but goes to prove that sometimes less is more especially in the hands of a talented director.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
#1. House (1977) - 3 out of 5
WaJtmZO.jpg

For years I've always seen the poster with the cat, but had idea what the movie even was. It's incredibly bizarre if anything. It's half fantasy/fairy tale and half horror, while also part comedy. Some parts of the humor somewhat reminded me of what you find in the later Evil Dead series, but lighter and almost dreamlike. The practical effects are just so weird, but somehow manage to work based on the directional style.

#2. Malignant (2021) - 2 1/2 out of 5
xV5DbUP.jpg

I knew nothing about this movie and went in completely blind. I'll just get to the point: This movie is stupid. By the last 15 or 20 min, it leans so far into the stupidity, that I was actually laughing and shaking my head. I know it sounds bad, but I honestly liked the movie. I've tried to get into the whole James Wan Conjouring Universe set of movies and as much as I like the concept of them, the first Conjouring is the only one I've enjoyed. The rest of the in-between spin-offs are just pointless, uninteresting filler until the next numbered Conjouring movie releases. That has been my feeling for each of those films. If James Wan did more stupid shit like this, maybe I'd like his Conjouring produced movies more. Also, he should do movie action movies. That scene in the police station was straight out of the beginning scene he did from Aquaman. It works and is super stylish, and I'd like to see more of it outside of Aquaman. Also, creating a new type of stalker/monster/creature can be tough with horror films, and I liked what they did here. It's unique and keeps you guessing of what's really happening. I want to rewatch this soon with my friend that I watched The Conjouring series with and see what his thoughts are.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
14. Party Night 2017

It looks cheap, the acting is wooden, but there was a genuine attempt at physical effects and it was gnarly at times

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Basket Case
  2. Terror Train
I wanted to go through the four Jamie Lee horror protagonist movies that she starred in around this time and so far, this is the worst of them. I still need to watch Carpenter's The Fog, so we'll see how that goes.

This one finds a bunch of sorority girls and frat guys partying on a train with a killer dressed in a Groucho Marx mask cutting through them one by one.

There are some fun magic scenes and the setting is interesting enough, but most of the acting aside from Jamie Lee is horrid and you kinda dont care about anyone else at all tbh.

5/10

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Basket Case
  2. Terror Train
  3. The Stuff
Now this one was actually pretty fun even if it was campy af.

The movie unfolds as some workers find this white gooey substance erupting from the ground and their first instinct for some reason is to eat it… Fast forward some time and its being marketed all around the country and everyone is enjoying this ice cream-like Stuff. The tagline: Enough is never enough! Unfortunately, it's not everyone eating the stuff but the stuff is eating them. It slowly takes over the population from the inside and its up to a few unlikely heroes to stop it.

i loved how inventive this movie was. The main protagonist, Moe, is hilarious and has some very great moments. Also, the practical effects are a sight to behold. There are some great set pieces with the stuff taking over bodies and attacking others. Also, there are many head bursting scenes that impressed me.

6.5/10

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Fear Street part 2: I can't get past the lore that wraps around the series, it drags it down for me. 5/10. I have no desire to watch part 3.

Seance: resubbed to shudder, enjoyed this one, but the middle seemed just in service of the end. 7/10.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Also, he should do movie action movies. That scene in the police station was straight out of the beginning scene he did from Aquaman. It works and is super stylish, and I'd like to see more of it outside of Aquaman.
I had this thought as well. If the film had been more of a horror-action from the start I think it would've been pretty cool. The last 15 minutes, divorced from the rest of the film, were actually quite enjoyable.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
24980-the-devil-rides-out-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#03 - The Devil Rides Out (1968)
After The Mummy (1959), apparently I picked another Hammer movie which also is from the same director. I did not know these things when I put my list together, but here we are. Fortunately, I liked this more than The Mummy, which I found too tame. This also isn't the most shocking, but the initial detective/mystery aspect of The Devil Rides Out is entertaining throughout and there is some actual horror to be found among the kitsch. I have some issues with the pacing as it comes out the gates swinging but quickly slows down and just trods along. Also didn't care for the score, which was a bit much (and at times TOO LOUD). I do love me some campy occult satanic worship though. Also Christopher Lee. 6/10

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
(1) I Know What You Did Last Summer
(2) Fear Street art 1: 1994

(3) Fear Street Part 2: 1978

oNTQIMS.jpg

This piece of the Fear Street trilogy is a complete play on Friday the 13th and Camp Crystal Lake. I am totally here for it. The killer is more interesting than the ones showcased in part 1. The sister dynamic between Ziggy and Cindy is great. Alice, an otherwise stereotypical stoner punk teen has well rounded characterization. Something camp slasher's aren't known for. One thing to note is this movie has an unusual amount of kid-kid (not teen-kid) violence which you don't see too often.

3.5/5

(4) Fear Street Part 3: 1666

fszziuG.png

The first hour is the 1666 portion, while the latter hour loops back around to the overarching story. I should have anticipated it, but the 1666 section goes full Arthur Miller's The Crucible. It moves quickly, hitting all the standard beats you'd expect from a colonial witch trial story. I liked that they re-use parts of the cast in the period piece section. It then goes on to tie up some of the plotlines from the first part. Gillian Jacobs does seem criminally underused despite being the linchpin character between Part 1 & 2.

I was apprehensive that leaving the 1666 period for the end of the trilogy would work out since it seemed to the least interesting time period, but by limiting that piece to only an hour they were able to bring everything back around to the 1994 framing device and let it breathe. Another "full trilogy" complaint I have is there's an awful lot of people who get stabbed right in the gut only to survive which seems like a real stretch.

4/5

None of these movies are scary by any means, but remain a fun take on the slasher genre with a supernatural twist.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
  1. Basket Case
  2. Terror Train
  3. The Stuff
Now this one was actually pretty fun even if it was campy af.

The movie unfolds as some workers find this white gooey substance erupting from the ground and their first instinct for some reason is to eat it… Fast forward some time and its being marketed all around the country and everyone is enjoying this ice cream-like Stuff. The tagline: Enough is never enough! Unfortunately, it's not everyone eating the stuff but the stuff is eating them. It slowly takes over the population from the inside and its up to a few unlikely heroes to stop it.

i loved how inventive this movie was. The main protagonist, Moe, is hilarious and has some very great moments. Also, the practical effects are a sight to behold. There are some great set pieces with the stuff taking over bodies and attacking others. Also, there are many head bursting scenes that impressed me.

6.5/10
The Stuff is such a wierd and fun movie. I'm glad people are suddenly remembering that it exists.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMTQwODAxMTE1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQ0MjY3OQ@@._V1_.jpg

06. You're Next (2011) (Rewatch) (5/5)
I love this movie. It's just a straight up violent home invasion that doesn't let the foot off the gas until the credits hit. The lead is one of my favorites from any horror and I always hoped Sharni Vinson was going to blow up after this but unfortunately that never happened.