hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
6. The Woman in the Window (dir. Joe Wright, 2021)
A trashy yet high-budget rearwindowlike with a way overqualified cast. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Wright's over the top directorial style is well-suited for a thriller and the cast is really good. That being said the plot is pretty silly and the film has a hard-to-define aura of a troubled production. But at least this is much better than Pan.
6/10

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
4) Alligator (1980)

2ojbu.jpg

Must have been a pretty small casket.

So the lesson is don't flush baby gators down the toilet or they may return twelve years later the size of a van and eat your neighbors.

A cute Jaws knock-off B-movie that intentionally ratchets up all the clichés it can find for a very tongue in cheek monster movie. We've got corrupt mayors, dead partners (and I mean plural), angry police chiefs, badges handed in, evil science, and an intermittently lightning fast and deathly plodding giant gator. The synthy score even knocks off the DUN DUN from Jaws in that Jimmy Hart in WCW way. There's a nice grungy atmosphere to the sewer and street scenes, and the characters including Robert Forster starring (and continuously having his thinning hairline made fun of) are broadly drawn on purpose but amusing. The gator effects themselves are pretty convincing at least up until it really has to do anything, then it's pretty limited, but it does look cool stalking around (courtesy of Kane Hodder in the costume).

Generally you're not going to see anything you haven't seen before but I think that was the goal. There is one absolutely amazing scene of the alligator gatecrashing a wedding with total mayhem ensuing. There's cake and guests flying everywhere, and the gator goes full Street Fighter II on a car for no reason. It's one of the funniest two minutes I've seen in a movie in forever.

Thoroughly harmless nonsense, recommended for self-aware B-movie fun.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone else here listen to With Gourley and Rust the easy listening horror podcast?

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Horror Express (1973)
  2. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
  3. The Ghoul (1933)
  4. Dagon (2001)
  5. Dead of Night (1945)
  6. Sea Fever (2019)
sea-fever-british-movie-poster.jpg

One of the pleasures of participating in these annual horror-thons is when recommendations from other posters lead me to discover a new contemporary film that fits my personal, old-school ideas of what a "monster movie" should be. This is my first time viewing Sea Fever, and I appreciate its more traditional sensibilities as reflected in its leisurely pace and not-too-gruesome effects. I don't think it quite lives up to the hype (The Abyss? The Thing?) but it's good monster fun on the ocean, with a solid cast, decent special effects and a unique monster... Worth catching, imho.

Nov 27, 2017
1. Candyman (2021) 3.5/5
2. The Empty Man (2020) 3/5
3. The Lost Boys (1987) 2/5
4. His House (2020) 3.5/5

A really original story in which the trauma of political unrest and conflict manifest into ghosts. The premise is unique and I admire the representation in this kind of story and the way real-life serious issues were depicted as the cause. The scares themselves were mostly ordinary--figures lurking in shadows and lots of zooming in on empty doorways--but this was a solid film to watch if you're looking for something spooky with a different tone.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
#3. Good Boy (2020) - 2 out of 5
ylvhcbW.jpg

I got my mom a therapy dog over a year ago to help with her mental and physical recovery after a stroke, so I could relate to the concept of this movie of someone getting a dog to help with their emotional well-being. Unfortunately, this dog turns into a terror lol. I've always liked Judy Greer as a comedic actress, and it was nice seeing her in a rare main role. I enjoyed everything until the final act. The payoff/climax of the movie is lackluster and very short. Looking back, I'm not sure it was worth my time, but still think the concept was good.

#4. The Shallows (2016) - 2 out of 5
4R2m6rc.jpg

Blake Lively versus an asshole shark that won't leave her alone. And that shark is relentless! I've been sitting on this Bluray for several months and figured Halloween month would be the perfect time to finally watch it. An alright movie, but a bit too slow for me. The two main positives are the beautifully stunning shots with the water cinematography and the backstory, which shadows the character's need to keep fighting.

Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
6. Spring (2014)

• Rating: 8 deadly creatures from our evolutionary past out of 10

• Synopsis: "A young man in a personal tailspin flees from US to Italy, where he sparks up a romance with a woman harboring a dark, primordial secret."

qPI94JmMga88RB7vuQA83McgFaz.jpg

What better movie to watch after Are We Not Cats than another horror movie proving to be equally difficult to categorize. And this romantic creature feature / body horror love story (?) is such a delight.

I'm really glad to have watched this one right after Are We Not Cats. I think both movies share a lot of themes, even if exploited very differently and not weighted the same way. With its gut punch of a beginning, Spring definitely wants to talk about existential loneliness. But as it progresses, it begins to be also interested in exploring intimacy, trust, and love.

The main appeal here is definitely the relationship between the characters of Evan and Louise. I think their story is told with so much heart, with so much emotional intelligence. And it's told in a way that might be described as calm, nearly contemplative. Calm, yes, but the horror Louise must live with is always here to make the whole thing very intriguing. It all works very well.

I also love the way the movie presents and handles its horror elements. With the abundant use of nature imagery, it's a near-constant reminder that the most incomprehensible and horrific mystery might in the end only be nature we haven't figured out yet.

I love this film.

---

Other movies I watched this month:

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
4) A Bloodthirsty Killer (1965)
★★★½
A Bloodthirsty Killer aka A Devilish Homicide aka Sal-inma begins mid-nightmare. Lee Yong-Min drops us into a ghost story already in motion and doesn't let us or the characters escape its haunting mire until an hour later. A liminal haze of surreal scares, rising body count, and anxious confusion.

From the onslaught of mysterious strangers, melting portraits, clawing ghost cats, and creepy face-licking emerges a tale of twisted domestic melodrama and revenge. Those motivations comes later though. For the bulk of its runtime, A Bloodthirsty Killer is a ghostly spookfest that unfolds like a cursed dream, as a household endures one spectral incursion after another. Early on, this recalled Carnival of Souls: the kind of movie where we expect the protagonist to wake up at any moment. At times, the compounding terror echoed Argento or Fulci in its stream-of-consciousness nightmare-logic. One scare-sequence in particular is right out of Suspiria. '60s Korean horror heavily influenced by J-horror, with a dash of proto-Eurohorror weirdness.

After that relentless hour, a flashback-focused final act becomes its own wild swerve, with its own bizarre highlights. However, that finale also downshifts the creepy intensity in favor of explanation and reveals, until the film reaches an underwhelming (albeit narrative-appropriate) ending.

Still, I can't deny the effectively eerie and bonkers occult horror that fuels most of A Bloodthirsty Killer.
devilishmurd33.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Just started a new job that is absolutely tiring so I'm taking a few days off, but trust me l'llcatch back up.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Sweetheart is from 2019. Too old? A woman is stranded on a deserted island and there is a monster around. Fun flick.

Sweetheartmainpostergrainbigimg599.jpg

Sea Fever was a good one too, but also 2019. Irish fishing ship isolated at sea and there is something fishy going on. Good thing there is a marine biologist on board that can explain how and why everyone is dying!

Enjoyed this one, thanks for the rec. Would've loved another 20-30 minutes to flesh out the
story of what happened on the raft, those 2 characters came and went a bit too fast imo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
5. Poltergeist (1982)

Pretty fun film that escalates quite soon as the family deals with strange paranormal activity, and the daughter goes missing. It had a great cast of characters and some cool visual effects to enhance the spooks.

Till about the last 20 mins, I thought it was just a good film, but then those 20 mins turned it into a pretty great film haha. Probably one of the best shit hit the fan in a horror movie. The beast did not like Tangina proclaiming that the house is clean, so let's crank this shit up by 11 lol. Also that "you only moved the headstones moment" is fucking amazing.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5

2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5

3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
Thank you Plasticine for your earlier write-up. I saw Cronenberg and knew I had to check it out. And man, while my previous two entries were enjoyable flicks, this was a masterpiece of a movie. The score, performances, and pacing were all top notch. The mystery and drama both drew me in and kept me riveted until the it all came together at the end. I was also not expecting how cavalier the film was with stuff around child actors. For example: I was gleefully horrified when the teacher was bludgeoned to death while surrounded by her students. Then there was Candace crying as bloody hands burst through the door and clawed at her. Heck, even the father taking polaroids of her to document her injuries felt weird. This is a 5/5 and now one of my favorite horror movies.

Hell yeah. The Brood blew me away when I saw it a few years back.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
1. (N) Sputnik (2020) ****
2. (N) Dead Silence (2007) ***
3. (R) Halloween II (1981) ***
4. (R) Halloween IV (1988) **

---

5. (R) Halloween V (1989)

220px-Halloween5poster.jpg

Fucking awful.

Terrible take on the soundtrack, dodgy tone that approaches comedy at times (seriously, what is with the cops with their very own jaunty comedy theme?), an over-reliance on fake out scares that started to actually piss me off (the barn scene alone had FOUR for fuck sake, and two of them were both the same guy in the Shatner mask tricking the viewer into thinking it's Michael on two seperate occasions), and more than anything was just absolutely boring all the way through.

IMG_5206.jpeg

Did that old man at the start really just live with Michael and look after him for a year? Was he like a pet, or best buds? Why? Was Michael in literal hibernation that whole time, or did we just not see the sitcom spinoff where he lives life with a secret serial killer as a pet where he attempts to cover up various murderous outbursts. "Oh, Michael!". And who the fuck was the man in black (I know it's explained in the sequel)? So many unanswered questions that really should have been addressed in this film.

Only real redeeming qualities are the tense finale where Jamie is stuck in the house and trying to escape, and Danielle Harris as a kid clearly out acting every adult on set in every scene she is in. Really great performance from her.

1 star out of 5

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
07. Fear Street Part One: 1994. (2021) (New) 3/5
I'm a sucker for teen slashers so I had fun with this one. There are some great gore effects and there is one kill in particular that caught me off guard in the best way.
I love how every review of this movie has to mention that kill. It was so, so good. And quite unexpected.

7. Fear Street 1666
11wpFB3.jpg

The parts that actually took place in 1666 were probably my least favorite in the trilogy. I read that the accents were supposed to be comparable to colonial English but many of the young actors just sounded like they were putting on awful Irish accents. It was a bit jarring. There was some really cool imagery and gore during this sequence, however, which is always fun. And like I mentioned in my previous reviews of 1994 and 1976, I did appreciate a brief respite from all of the licensed music. 3/5

On the Fear Street trilogy overall, I thought it was really fun! My favorite was probably 1976, followed by 1994, and then 1666. It is a very digestible trilogy with some surprisingly gory sequences, decent character drama, some interesting lore, and a few twists and turns. Despite the gore it's not super scary, so this trilogy seems fairly accessible to the masses (which I think is how it's being marketed). It was a fun romp. 3.5/5 for the trilogy overall.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
5. Poltergeist (1982)

Pretty fun film that escalates quite soon as the family deals with strange paranormal activity, and the daughter goes missing. It had a great cast of characters and some cool visual effects to enhance the spooks.

Till about the last 20 mins, I thought it was just a good film, but then those 20 mins turned it into a pretty great film haha. Probably one of the best shit hit the fan in a horror movie. The beast did not like Tangina proclaiming that the house is clean, so let's crank this shit up by 11 lol. Also that "you only moved the headstones moment" is fucking amazing.
Oh yes, the sheer onslaught of the final act is like the closest you can get to an Evil Dead/Drag Me To Hell/House spookfest without crossing over into splatter. I love how relentless the film gets

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Horror Express (1973)
  2. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
  3. The Ghoul (1933)
  4. Dagon (2001)
  5. Dead of Night (1945)
  6. Sea Fever (2019)
  7. Portrait of Jennie (1948)
Portraitofjennie.jpg

I genuinely love this lovely, wistful, melancholy little film. A tender and generous ghost story that could only find voice in a post-war America, Portrait of Jennie will haunt you if you let it. Highly recommended. Favourite lines: Jennie "Listen. It's the stars. Can you hear it? The stars are coming out."

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Not a review, but I'm wondering if someone can help me remember an old horror movie I saw when I was a kid. It's a creature feature about spiders overtaking a town, and the very last scene is the townsfolk walking outside and the spiders have made a massive web dome over the entire town. It's probably from the 60s or 70s.

Also, any other good creepy crawly recommendations from the 50s-70s? Ants, spiders, lots of violin string plucking, etc.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
4. Cat People (1942)
Cat_People_(1942_poster).jpg

A work of surprising maturity and craft, Cat People would lay the foundation for the more measured, psychological branch of horror that wouldn't really grow in popularity in the mainstream for a few decades. It's a lean, smart and tragic picture, and Irena's plight, which is vague enough that it can be read as a stand-in for a whole host of metaphors, is relatable to anyone whose experienced some sense that something deep down is off balance, that some feeling is just waiting to burst out and be free and no one else can truly understand it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 4 | Lake Mungo, 2008

JDWJgWz.gif

So my first "monster of the week" is... ghosts! Restless spirits, vengeful phantoms, memories that linger on too long. First up is Lake Mungo, which I'm happy to say lived up to the hype.

Now I'm uniquely sensitive to found footage, so I spent a lot of time watching through my fingers. And doubly so with the technology of the era... I turned 13 in 2005, so this aims straight at the teenage version of myself, reading spooky internet stories and not being able to sleep. I'm not sure if this is the perfect ghost movie, or just the perfect ghost movie for me, but either way... great start to the week.

What impresses me the most is how thoroughly it sticks to the mockumentary format. It's SO grounded in its presentation that it puts others in the genre to shame. Like, yes, there's the found footage, but everything else: the talking heads, the "stock footage" of the house, the way that new information is introduced through the runtime. Anything that might seem "contrived" is justified by the fact that... well, it's a documentary about a ghost, the whole genre is contrived. It's not presented linearly, it's presented in the way that tells the most engaging story, so just go along for the ride.

The story feels real. The actors all feel organic. The grief is tangible. The pacing is smooth. And the supernatural elements are perfectly understated. When you bury it under layers of dubiousness, it starts to feel like those spooky internet stories, the ones you KNOW are fake but can't get out of your head at three in the morning. High odds this will end up as "scariest of the month" for me, and it does it all with so little.

Oct 28, 2017
Not a review, but I'm wondering if someone can help me remember an old horror movie I saw when I was a kid. It's a creature feature about spiders overtaking a town, and the very last scene is the townsfolk walking outside and the spiders have made a massive web dome over the entire town. It's probably from the 60s or 70s.
Kingdom of Spiders, 1977, William Shatner

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4. Phasmophobia Grave Encounters
220px-Grave-Encounters-Poster-2011.jpg

This movie is SO much more entertaining after playing so much Phasmophobia. It's on of my favorite found footage films. If you don't like Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity, this may be more your speed. Plot is literally a round of Phasmophobia on the asylum level. Acting is honestly pretty good. I buy that these are real people and the dedication to the bit when they're doing stuff for the show is pretty spot on to most ghost hunting shows like Ghost Adventures or Scariest Places On Earth. I don't recall liking the sequel but this one is really solid

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yesterday:
Poltergeist_One_Sheet_Poster__37061.1594160219.jpg

04. Poltergeist (1982) - 9/10, what can you say? It's a masterpiece. Arguably the greatest ghost movie ever made.

Today:

MOV273981__97441.1542174381.jpg

05. Beetlejuice - 8/10, classic, almost perfect blend of comedy and horror.

crolius

Mar 9, 2020

Also, any other good creepy crawly recommendations from the 50s-70s? Ants, spiders, lots of violin string plucking, etc.

It might be Kingdom of Spiders (1977) starring William Shatner.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#4. The Empty Man - I'm glad Era turned me onto this film because I would have assumed it was a generic horror film about a creepy man with that title. The film is pretty great. It has the slow pace of a mystery film where a person has to slowly uncover what is going on but oddly enough, takes no time in showing you the weird stuff. And those scenes are pretty damn effective at creeping you out. I was surprised to look up the director David Prior afterwards to see this was his first feature film although he's been in the industry for a while. The production behind the film was a complete mess so it's nice that the final package came out so coherent. Definitely worth a watch.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Sweetheart is from 2019. Too old? A woman is stranded on a deserted island and there is a monster around. Fun flick.

Enjoyed this one, thanks for the rec. Would've loved another 20-30 minutes to flesh out the
story of what happened on the raft, those 2 characters came and went a bit too fast imo.

It felt like a lot was edited out, maybe? I don't remember what the specific scenes made me think that but all that blood in the raft was definitely one of them. Lol. What the hell was that? Never mentioned again.

this movie does have one of the best monster reveals I've seen in a long time though. goddamn that was beautiful.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
36aSzCql.jpg

1. Child's Play [1988]

It's Child's Play. A classic in every regard. Still has a great atmosphere mixed with just some dumb comedy bits and solid gore and horror moments. Probably still one of my favorites of child hood and one all my siblings would sit down and watch every time it came on tv. Just a delight and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest (including the reboot) as well as the upcoming tv series.

4 stars out of 5

YkVw4nKl.jpg

2. Haunt [2019]

Pretty solid halloween story. I enjoyed some of the build up and they did a good job of parceling off the characters you were rooting for and the ones you could go ahead and just see die in the coming minutes of the film. I liked that it kept me guessing if whether or not the murders were really happening. Its cool and I think it was overall very effective. Maybe it got saggy in a few sections and there's one plot line that kinda just went nowhere, but cool for the scope of the project.

3 and a half stars out of 5

VKrk5uVl.jpg

3. Child's Play 2 [1990]

What a follow up tbh. Just solid all around, gets in and out with the setup and story. All the kills are dopey and pretty cool. I really forgot Jenny Agutter was in this one as well. I feel like I've seen the majority of these Chucky films only on basic cable and missed all the messy bits. That basement kill still gets me. Just a solid follow up and probably the best design for Chucky all around.

3 and a half stars out of 5

GjDUltkl.jpg

4. Titane [2021]

I still dont know how to write about his movie. Go see it. Probably my favorite of the year.

4 and a half stars out of5

ijYUjyal.jpg

5. Child's Play 3 [1991]

Might've been my least favorite of the Child's Play franchise (until we get to Bride). Maybe its that I kinda dont care about Andy at this point? Still pretty solid kills. The heart attack gag will never not be funny and the trash compactor is probably one of the most chilling deaths I could imagine. It was alright, doesnt hit the peaks of 1/2, but not the worst of the series.

3 stars out of5

ZpWu77ul.jpg

6. The Faculty [1998]

This is just damn good fun. Still probably one of my favorites of the horror/sci-fi genre and coming back around to the topic of having not seen the actual theatrical cut of some movies and only the basic cable ones, this is another culprit. One I would watch anytime I came by it while playing on USA in the afternoon. A big talented cast just having a ball it seems with all these fun alien gags and dumb teenager theatrics. I still really like their "The Thing" homage with finding out who is who with the drug snort. Also great alien design at the end.

4 stars out of 5

LTvmsTal.jpg

7. Bride of Chucky [1998]

Well this one certainly happened and we gotta live with it. Really didnt care for it when I saw it as a kid and dont care for it now. I dont know how Ronnie Yu got to touch such legendary franchises, but damn what a shame and what a shit director. There was not really much to hang your hat on here. I was mostly just bored and maybe the best part was John Ritter taking a jar of nails to the face. that was pretty creative, but otherwise, meh. Not good, just middling.

2 and a half stars out of 5

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
An Unquiet Grave - Shudder - felt like a very quiet, personal movie between two characters but more of a horror backdrop than a horror movie. 5/10.

MV5BNTMwN2ZhNDQtMDkyNS00YWRmLWFlNmItMzdhNWNjMTYwYjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjEwNjUxOA@@._V1_.jpg

A wise man once said that personality can go a long way, and few film genres embody that adage better than horror does. What could be easily curtailed by a relatively rote premise or a deficiency of budget can often find salvation in the aims of the filmmakers to do something unusual and clever with well-worn tropes and pennies in their pockets. It's a tale as old as film itself is, really: when the chips are down and one can't hope to stand out by spending the most money, then crafting your film around your limitations is a great place to start, allowing you to work within the lines to craft a story worth telling and a style worth looking at. If one can't avoid the constraints entirely, then they can certainly see to it that it's not as detrimental as it normally would be. How best to achieve that, then? Options often include finding a new way to tell an old tale, often with thematic subject matter that it wasn't necessarily taking into consideration at the time as our world has changed so much since then, creating a visual style that makes the most of modest means through expressive camerawork that accentuates the mood and psychology of the setting and of the characters, and others still by daring to go down seldom explored topics as, while not necessarily graphic, can often bring to a potential audience a lot of baggage as they engage with it in a way that can be respectful to those that have themselves been victims of it in their own ways while not losing the intensity and shock of it all to have a difficult yet needed conversation about it in the first place.

Needless to say, the film here does well in grappling with most, if not all, of what I just described, resulting in a film willing to have its flaws exposed as it knows it's got something worth saying without sacrificing the horror itself to get to its point. Based on the legend of the titular Zulu mythological creature, the setup as our heroine finds her new job at a downtrodden hospital a bit more than she can bear with both hostile bosses and a a strange creature that seems to have its hooks in deep with the children of the makeshift orphanage that resides in the same building. As we get to know Busi, there is even more to her background prior to taking her new job that also adds a lot of depth to her character and of the story itself, setting up a surprisingly grand journey by the end of the film that's not afraid to have a lot more sweep than the initial premise suggests that it will have. Folks may be disappointed that the seeming haunted hospital film more or less ceases to be by the halfway mark, but in its place is a frequently surprising and captivating story as Busi's situation changes considerably and often suddenly that has her thinking on her feet, even as the means may not be there for her to make the absolute best decision at all times. It's those kinds of complications that draw you into the story more and more. The visual approach also manages to find ways of making Busi's emotions come alive with great framing that tells a lot of the story for us as her guarded nature is undone with a nice style that gets under her skin when she both most and least needs that kind of exposure, giving a lot of purpose to the style the film takes on. It does indeed opt for some old-fashioned tricks for the horror itself, but there's just enough ingenuity poured into the film that the budget not allowing for a lot of the Tokoloshe to be visually there most of the time that it manages to get some very effective notes to makes its presence known.

And of the subject matter itself, I do feel compelled to praise the handling of it all it at the expense of also serving as a warning for folks that may not already know what to expect, as the film does tackle the very ugly and painful reality of child abuse. Both sexual trauma and outright physical violence play key roles in the story here, including a triggering incident in which Busi is nearly raped by her boss that triggers a lot of deeply unhappy memories for her as a child herself, and though they never cross the line to anything outwardly graphic itself, they show enough to make one very uncomfortable during those scenes that produce genuine chills with the frankness of how they're presented. It's very stern and grim material, to be certain, but the film's solemn tone never crosses into outright misery porn as Busi's growth from a woman that simply never wanted to have to think about it again to one that knows she must confront the evil that haunts her is the kind of tale that pays off to allow for a convincing path to self-realization that you can be more than the demons that haunt you, both figurative and literal. If it's not quite inspirational for reasons I'll get into in a little bit, then it is the kind of aspirational tone that horror films could always do with a bit more of on the whole.

With so much to praise within the meager means of which the production was able to muster, it does make it unfortunate that there was only so much they can do in the end. One can forgive the technical faults that are sprinkled throughout with some visible cameras in reflections and some boom mics that manage to escape into the frame as they're not exactly uncommon territory to begin with, but it's hard not to feel that the film on the whole is missing a good half hour from what I have to imagine was the original script, likely to have never been filmed as they simply did not have the time or the money to do so. It results in a wealth of subplots getting dropped almost simultaneously, among them a key supporting character whose true nature is hinted at just enough to get an idea of where they would have been taking them, but the rushed nature of the film's final act pushes it so far to the wayside that it becomes nearly impossible to know for sure if that was the case. It also muddles some elements related to how Busi ultimately winds up overcoming and ultimately making her peace, as the very abrupt ending offers up a triumphant image of sorts with no real follow-through to help underline where the journey has taken her in the end. There's definitely the sense that the filmmakers here hoped that the visual metaphor, common as it is, gives the proper level of closure on its own terms, which I did find to be a step too far in feeling truly satisfying in the long run since it sorely needed that extra couple of minutes to get that follow-up. The lack of such key scenes and writing doesn't kill the film, far from it, but the absence is noticeable enough to make one wonder what we're missing out on as far as the final product is concerned, as I don't doubt that the extra half hour would have easily turned this into a proper cult classic.

Yet the film does get enough of the way there to recommend it to anyone looking for a more serious and dramatic spin on the spirits that haunt halls almost as much as the people themselves. The caveat of its depiction of troubling subject matter as I have described is one that should be heeded by anyone with a sensitivity to depictions of such, but I do find myself feeling strongly about what the film was able to accomplish to say that its worth the discomfort for what winds up being refreshingly mature about such matters. The outsider nature of a production like this allowed it to take some risks in spite of not having all the resources available to do more with them in the end, and I felt a lot of them do pay off even as the unfortunately shorted material ensured that even more of it could have been there if the circumstances were more favorable. It's easy to say that this is a good film up to a point as it technically is, but its verve and spirit ultimately makes for a captivating film with serious credentials and an uncommon sense of direction that even as you wish there was more of it to fully texture and flesh out the entire experience to a much greater whole, the legwork and the talent involved to get it as far as it does get in the end is rather commendable.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
1. Child's Play [1988]
3. Child's Play 2 [1990]
5. Child's Play 3 [1991]
7. Bride of Chucky [1998]

Nice. There seems to be a lot of Child's Play love going around this year. You going to do the entire series? I watched Child's Play 2 and Cult of Chucky recently and I'll do write-ups on those later, but yeah, that basement kill in 2 was great, but the ruler kill was maybe the lamest one in the entire franchise.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. There seems to be a lot of Child's Play love going around this year. You going to do the entire series? I watched Child's Play 2 and Cult of Chucky recently and I'll do write-ups on those later, but yeah, that basement kill in 2 was great, but the ruler kill was maybe the lamest one in the entire franchise.
Yea I bought that 7 pack 'Chucky Series' boxset. Wrapped up Curses tonight and will post some stuff tomorrow about it. Got Cult of Chucky left to watch and then the Reboot that i do remember enjoying, then the TV show that premieres this month which was my primary impetus for buying the boxset and (re)watching them all. Yea the ruler was lame and I noticed Mancini really enjoys returning to Chucky electrocuting people time and time again. Cant blame him, that's a solid kill, but the electro-kill in the original is still the best, followed by the sorta chucky's fault electro-kill in 2 when the lab guy gets electrocuted by the equipment.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Movie 4 | Lake Mungo, 2008

JDWJgWz.gif

So my first "monster of the week" is... ghosts! Restless spirits, vengeful phantoms, memories that linger on too long. First up is Lake Mungo, which I'm happy to say lived up to the hype.

Now I'm uniquely sensitive to found footage, so I spent a lot of time watching through my fingers. And doubly so with the technology of the era... I turned 13 in 2005, so this aims straight at the teenage version of myself, reading spooky internet stories and not being able to sleep. I'm not sure if this is the perfect ghost movie, or just the perfect ghost movie for me, but either way... great start to the week.

What impresses me the most is how thoroughly it sticks to the mockumentary format. It's SO grounded in its presentation that it puts others in the genre to shame. Like, yes, there's the found footage, but everything else: the talking heads, the "stock footage" of the house, the way that new information is introduced through the runtime. Anything that might seem "contrived" is justified by the fact that... well, it's a documentary about a ghost, the whole genre is contrived. It's not presented linearly, it's presented in the way that tells the most engaging story, so just go along for the ride.

The story feels real. The actors all feel organic. The grief is tangible. The pacing is smooth. And the supernatural elements are perfectly understated. When you bury it under layers of dubiousness, it starts to feel like those spooky internet stories, the ones you KNOW are fake but can't get out of your head at three in the morning. High odds this will end up as "scariest of the month" for me, and it does it all with so little.
Noroi is my personal favorite "faux-doc" found footage horror. The more recent movies Savageland and Howard's Mill also pull it off really well.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Anyone got the skills to identify a movie for me with nearly no details? LOL

There was some movie I saw when I was a kid on TV, it may have been a made for TV movie, but it for sure was not one I saw in the theater. The only details I can remember....it was about some lady who had a demon growing on her back/shoulder and the climax of the movie has her on a bed fighting the demon with laser sound effects that sounded like it was from Battlestar Galactica or some sort of scifi movie/show. This was in the 80s maybe mid 80s...That's all I got.

Sorry it's not much.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
download-3-864x467.jpg

these movies are hilarious,it's a found footage movie abought a guy who buys a house that's haunted and just gets his ass kicked by the ghosts theirs quite a few on Amazon prime.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got the skills to identify a movie for me with nearly no details? LOL

There was some movie I saw when I was a kid on TV, it may have been a made for TV movie, but it for sure was not one I saw in the theater. The only details I can remember....it was about some lady who had a demon growing on her back/shoulder and the climax of the movie has her on a bed fighting the demon with laser sound effects that sounded like it was from Battlestar Galactica or some sort of scifi movie/show. This was in the 80s maybe mid 80s...That's all I got.

Sorry it's not much.

Sounds like The Manitou. If you enjoyed it also check out Demon Seed, equally as wild and corny.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #07 – Isolation

bHotL9Q.jpg

Become a farmer they said. It'll be fun they said. Especially when you have to let dodgy scientists loose on your cattle to perform genetic experiments just so you can try and make ends meet.

This excellent, if relentlessly bleak Irish monster movie has a fantastic cast, some great (and some occasionally goofy) practical effects and is thoroughly gripping from the start. It's also a really bad advert for farming. And genetic modification. And eating meat.

Score: 4 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
5. The Funhouse (1981) 3/5

After the first 15 or 20 minutes I thought I'd end up liking this more than I actually did. I thought the 4 leads had good chemistry and I enjoyed the opening of them exploring the carnival but that kinda just kept going, and going, and going. Took too long to get into the meat of the movie then there's like 3 interesting set pieces then it's over. Just felt weirdly structured to me.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
06. Black Sabbath (1963, Mario Bava) ★★★★

Considering how much of an impact discovering heavy metal has had on my life, it was probably about time that I finally watched this. It definitely lived up to my expectations. All the segments were fun and beautifully shot, but the standout for me was easily The Telephone. Interested in checking out the Italian version soon.

Last edited:

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
70973-the-ghost-of-yotsuya-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

#04 - The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959)
Rarely have I seen a more despicable character than that of Iemon; Seeing him lie, cheat, murder, and betray only to get absolutely REKT at the end was a great pleasure. Thematically a great film. Dark and disturbing. Stunning, well shot, and gorgeous to look at. While it started out a bit slow, I really liked this classic Japanese samurai-era horror. 7/10

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #08 – Rites of Spring

jMaWUKQ.png

My second film running featuring trouble down on the farm.

In the American midwest, a farmer decides the best way to guarantee a bumper harvest is to sacrifice people - mainly attractive young women - to some form of mysterious old god, which manifests in the shape of a hulking humanoid monster. This creature spends most of the year living in a nest under the farm, but comes out to kill on the first day of Spring, thus making sure the corn grows high. Which sounds like an entertaining basis for a movie, but in truth these folk horror elements are infuriating because they are seriously undercooked, serving only as surface decoration on what turns out to be a pretty bog-standard slasher.

I say bog-standard, but I suppose writer/director Padraig Reynolds deserves a little credit for making the victim pool a bit different from the average set of happy campers. Here the guys in the slashing line are mostly composed of a group of kidnappers and their kidnappees. Sadly the film just spends bloody forever setting up this kidnap, and its aftermath, fatally assuming we give two shits about any of the characters involved. It doesn't help that some of the acting is pretty dire either, or that the plot is wildly convoluted and full of stupid coincidences that serve no purpose.

In short, there's far too much kidnapping, not enough slashing, and not nearly enough mythology, ritual or scarecrows of dubious origin.

Score: 1.5 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Basket Case
  2. Terror Train
  3. The Stuff
  4. Ginger Snaps
A very teen angsty werewolf flick with a slow first act but intensifies half way through.

This one is about two dreary sisters that end up being victims of a werewolf attack in which one of them ends up with the curse themselves. As Ginger is just starting to experience changes into womanhood, this curse piled on top brings a whole new bag of issues into the mix.

I'm not a fan of the werewolf final design in this one. Was never a fan of the more hairless look as opposed to more fur. But I did find it interesting contrasting the menstruation process with that of changing into a werewolf. Also, the semi-transformed shots of Ginger's make-up were pretty darn good.

7/10

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Basket Case
  2. Terror Train
  3. The Stuff
  4. Ginger Snaps
  5. Audition
This is the first one of the month to thoroughly impress me.

Audition tells the story of a widower that yearns, even at the behest of his own son, to find love again seven years after his wife's death. His friend whom is a casting director, organizes a mock audition to find a woman for him. And boy, does he. But blinded by love, he cannot tell that his choice is not what she seems.

This film is outstanding. It's psychological and has some softcore body horror scenes that even if you dont see everything happening, you feel like you do. There are some uneasy moments that'll really cause you to ask how the protagonist could be so in love not to notice them. Also, the editing is amazing! There were some shots I was actually astounded by.

9/10

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BOTI3Y2FkMzEtOWRjYi00YjA0LThiZTYtMWJlNDA3NGRiMmY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

09. Seance (2021) (New) 4/5
Nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed this boarding school supernatural mystery slasher. I went in with the bar set high for Simon Barrett's (You're Next, The Guest) directorial debut and I was a bit underwhelmed for the first 2/3 but the final act was a lot of fun.