Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
ANightmareOnElmStreet5TheDreamChild_B2_photostyle_Japan-1.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
Freddy Krueger is full time the star in the dream segments and whatever vestige of horror the last one had is completely gone. When the killing scenes and child possession are meant to be purely spectacle that's the result. I can only imagine the influence of the villain extratextual fame as someone who didn't lived through this era.
Even the tentative continuity of characters from the previous film can only do so much. But at least the visuals are still worthy, the set piece with the Escherian staircase is probably one of my favorites from the whole series and the cinema one is very inventive.

5fe2b9f8ec996fbc34f5838d9d8d8999.jpg

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
Undoubtedly the worst one, which is a shame because the premise of a town devasted by Freddy is fascinating. The film presents the worst main actors the series ever had (a fact exacerbated by the contrast with Yaphet Kotto giving his best in a few minutes of screentime), wandering aimlessly in plot trying to be a grandiose revelation of the villain origins. For such importance It barely holds together.
Previously the dream scenarios helped to elevate a very mediocre slasher, but not this time. The concepts are very basic and derivative of better moments from the first five movies and the excessive comedic Freddy is a parody at this point. I'd always assumed that the videogame talk (a recurrent clip online) was from an ad but seeing in the movie was a big surprise. Fitting, when you realize the whole movie is just a big commercial for the character.
Well, at least the 3D shots are kind of fun.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
19. The Nightingale (2018)

• Rating: 9.5 songs of grief and violence out of 10

• Synopsis: "In 1825, Clare, a young Irish convict woman, chases a British officer through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness, bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence he committed against her family. She enlists the services of an Aboriginal tracker who is also marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past."

hWA8QwSM1kJYMoTANEPoqrqBapg.jpg

coIfO7P.gif

With her second feature film after The Babadook, Jennifer Kent once again hits us with a powerful film about grief. And this one is, in my opinion, a real masterpiece.

But it's a very harrowing experience. It's brutal, emotionally complex and at times very challenging. There are things in there that are genuinely more terrifying than all the monsters and the gore from every movie posted in this thread combined. The film will hit you on the head like a ton of bricks. It's unforgiving. But if you can stomach it – and I think you should try – this movie is extremely beautiful. This revenge tale has so much humanity it hurts... This story talks about grief and revenge, of course, but has also a lot to say about identity and our connection with the Other. These themes are central to the movie and are expressed with brutal realism.

Also, what can I say about the performances of Aisling Franciosi as Clare and Baykali Ganambarr as Billy? They are absolutely brilliant in this. Jaw-dropping performances all around, really. And Aisling's performance particularly impressed me... it must have been so emotionally difficult to play such a demanding role with so much honesty and intensity. Absolutely amazing.

PJKxSdg.jpg

It's not the first time I write about this movie. I also talked about it last year in the OT for The Last of Us Part II after having watched it for the first time. The Nightingale has so many similarities with the story of TLOU2, it's uncanny. If you would like to explore some of the themes and emotions found in TLOU2, this movie is, in my opinion, the perfect next step. I highly recommend to those that were moved by the story of the game to give this film a try (or vice versa). They are similar in so many interesting ways.

In any case, go watch this film. It's amazing. Just be prepared for something emotionally complex and very upsetting.

kVFrUm4.gif

---

Other movies I watched this month:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
#23. The Woman (2011) - 3.5 out of 5
NB7zGbo.jpg

Dad leaves the suburbs to go on a hunting trip and brings back a feral, cannibalistic woman in the hopes to tame her as a way to make her more civilized, and to eventually become part of the family. Before diving into the movie, I thought this was going to be about a white Christian family using Eurocentric values to change the culture and identity of a person and it failing badly. No, this movie is much more than that. This movie has something deeper and sinister going on the longer the runtime continues. The last 20 to 30 minutes left me with such a wave of emotions, I actually had to rub both sides of my jaw, because I was clinching my teeth together the entire time thanks to everything being thrown at me. This movie is something! Last week, I watched the writer and director Lucky McKee's previous horror movie, May, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to see the starring actress from that movie, Angela Bettis, in more stuff and she has sort of side role here as the Mom. Fantastic movie. Unfortunately, the one issue I had was the Dad, because he looks and sounds like a Will Ferrell character and I couldn't take him seriously, no matter how crazy he got.

#24. Mad God (2021) - 2 out of 5
PmCCT7D.jpg

Tippett Studios had a long running history in movie visual effects and design. They've worked on Jurassic Park, Robocop 1 & 2 and Starship Troopers just to name a few. The founder, Phil Tippett, began working on an independent project way back around Robocop 2 that involved stop-motion animation. When Jurassic Park happened, he felt those days of animation were long dead thanks to advancement in effects and gave up on the project. Many people over the years tried to encourage him to continue the project, and 20 years later, he launched a Kickstarter to complete it. The project became Mad God. Its a mix of stop motion and real people set in a disturbing Nine Circles of Hell-like landscape, while somewhat telling the cycle of life and death (my personal interpretation). Though most of it is filled with poop and creatures with giant nut sacks lol.

The first half of this movie is great. It has a lot of symbolic themes. One example are accomplishments in life you work so hard for, yet having it taken away in an instant represented by a bunch of rag doll looking creatures that keep making mistakes at that own or others expense. It's probably my favorite scene of the film. The longer the movie goes on though, the more it just keeps getting darker with its visuals and hard to follow along, at least for me. If you are a video game fan, then at times this feels like a weird mix of Dante's Inferno meets Dark Souls with the main character going into stealth mode to avoid all confrontation with the environment as they go deeper and deeper into this Hell. Good movie, but really could be shorter.

#25. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (1989) - 3 out of 5
ifHU8Hq.png

A vampire Western. I've never heard of such a thing! I had no idea this was made by the same writer and director that made Waxwork, a movie I really didn't care for during this monthly marathon. If I had known this, I probably would have avoided this film and missed a hilarious take on the vampire genre. It's about a town that has created a Western-like community of vampires as a test to see if it were possible to live among the humans without killing, as they are in the process of creating an artificial blood substitute. It stars a few actors from Waxwork, as well as Bruce Campbell as a mysterious stranger that seems to know an awful lot about vampires and David Carradine as the master vampire running the town. One of the crazier parts involves an asshole vampire that suffers from an extreme case of toxic masculinity. The toxic vampire gets into an argument with a human that was invited to the town to help the town and fix their blood solution. Both men suffer from a massive ego and they compare dick sizes with their words. Eventually, the vampire does that Seinfeld episode where George tries to think of a good comeback and the best he can come up with is that the Jerk Store called. What is similar is that this vampire's comeback within the argument is that he slept with the guy's wife! And then he doesn't stop! He digs deeper and deeper, not realizing he sounds like a complete loser with a tiny peepee. Oh yes, and this vampire also gets naked and tries to rape the guy's wife in front of her two tiny children as well. This dude has serious problems!

Overall, a funny movie with an over the top cartoon villain that constantly retreats to toxic behavior, because he's a piece of shit. It's a shame Bruce Campbell and his vampire companion played by Deborah Foreman are only a side story. Their inclusion is one of the more interesting parts of the movie.

#26. Netherbeast Incorporated (2007) - 2 out of 5
ZT4qgCT.png

What if I told you this is a vampire movie starring Steve from Blue's Clues. Sound interested? That sold me on it. The plot is that the company boss has murdered one of his employees that he concluded to be a vampire. The reality: everyone in the office building is actually a vampire working for the company. The comedy proceeds from there. This actually has quite a few similarities to the previous movie Sundown I just talked about. The story here is that vampires over the centuries have gotten a bad reputation based on the stereotypes and misinformation from most fiction. They really just want to live normal lives and the employees use the company compound as a home and a way to hide from the world, while also having fulfilling lives by working a daily office job. Things begin to change when a few humans get hired.

It's not a bad movie and has a good comedic cast. The plot's direction is predictable, though. Out of all the movies, the quality was really poor. This one I wouldn't even call a shoestring budget. Feels like someone tying a shoe with a piece of thread. The entire production probably borrowed an existing office building space for a few days. Some of the pieces even look like they were on a poor makeshift sound-stage or something. It sounds bad, but I don't think the production costs dampened the flow of the movie either, as I still enjoyed it. Something about just feels cheap, though I could easily say the same thing about Sundown: A Vampire in Retreat.

#27. Parents (1989) - 2.5 out of 5
bvf7O4M.jpg

Not a bad movie. I honestly thought this was about a kid with psychological issues and interprets certain situations as illusions of horror, or maybe something more twisted with its mystery, but it's actually very simple in story execution. I will say some of the scenes are pretty disturbing.

#28. Spree (2020) - 3 out of 5
Am2QjiY.jpg

What a fun movie. I remember this was one of the movies that come out when theaters were defying pandemic rules and trying to open no matter what late last year. I saw this made less than $50,000 in the box office. Considering the movie is about getting viewers, there's some irony to that. It's such a shame, because I could have seen this being hit if they waited to release it this month and maybe could even have a cult following on the years to come. I really hope they do a spin-off or sequel of sorts one day, but I doubt it will happen.
Kurt should be the Junko Enoshima of future movies lol

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
1. Candyman (2021) 3.5/5
2. The Empty Man (2020) 3/5
3. The Lost Boys (1987) 2/5
4. His House (2020) 3.5/5
5. 28 Days Later (2002) [rewatch] 4/5
6. 28 Weeks Later (2007) 3.5/5
7. Shadow in the Cloud (2020) 1/5
8. Re-Animator (1985) 4/5
9. Kwaidan (1964) 4/5
10. Coven of Sisters (2020) 4.5/5
11. Don't Breathe 2 (2021) 1.5/5
12. Audition (1999) 4/5
13. The Final Girls (2015) 3.5/5
14. John Dies at the End (2012) 3/5
15. Life (2017) 2.5/5
16. The Endless (2017) 3.5/5

17. Koko-Di Koko-Da (2019) 3.5/5

In my search for more scary movies to watch this October, I was mostly drawn to this Swedish movie by the strange title. It has some unnerving elements but I wouldn't call it a horror movie. It's a surreal manifestation of familial loss and the resulting deterioration of a marriage. A couple goes camping and find themselves terrorized over and over again by a trio of circus sideshow characters that appeared on a music box that they had bought for their daughter on her eighth birthday. There are both direct and indirect metaphors to the decay of their relationship and it would probably take multiple viewings to take them all in. But each time you watch it, you'll get the damn song stuck in your head.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
21. An American Werewolf in London (1981) 4.5/5

First time seeing this, what a weird and wonderful movie. Once I saw that the guy from After Hours was in this I had a good feeling. I was surprised at how tonally all over the place this is. It's a horror movie no doubt, but it's funny thoughout and at the same time quite sad. You really do go through the gauntlet of emotions while watching. I definitely feel like this will enter the collection of horror films I go back to over the years.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#20. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - Kinda sidestepping the interesting ending of the previous film, huh? Oh well. If you thought it was silly that Michael could drive a car in the first film, he does a lot more of it in this one. Is Michael developing a sense of humour with him scratching that dude's car? I continue to be impressed by the young girl's acting ability. The teenagers were weird in this one though. It was like they were constantly high. Maybe they were. Loomis is still a raging lunatic. He probably should be locked up at this point.The film was alright. It felt a bit long despite being 95 minutes or so.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
21. An American Werewolf in London (1981) 4.5/5

First time seeing this, what a weird and wonderful movie. Once I saw that the guy from After Hours was in this I had a good feeling. I was surprised at how tonally all over the place this is. It's a horror movie no doubt, but it's funny thoughout and at the same time quite sad. You really do go through the gauntlet of emotions while watching. I definitely feel like this will enter the collection of horror films I go back to over the years.

I've also never seen this and it's on my list of shame. Weirdly, I've seen American Werewolf in Paris tons of times.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Cheap_Thrills_poster.jpg

15. Cheap Thrills (2013)
A rich couple invite two broke guys at a bar to party with them and offer large amounts of cash to compete in ever escalating acts of debauchery and violence.

I've seen it called a horror comedy but there aren't any big laughs that I saw, and overall it's a well made if rote version of this setup. It's pretty reserved when in comes to the actual tasks though, the even lower budgeted Red Room (1999) goes to more imaginative places.

None of the actors are bad, it's slickly shot and the gore is good.
= 3 out of 5

220px-The_Queen_of_Black_Magic.jpeg

16. The Queen of Black Magic (2019)
From Indonesia comes a gruesome and entertaining horror tale set in an orphanage.

Three men who grew up there arrive with their families to visit the ailing caretaker who raised them. After a slow build up, things really get going and dark themes take over.

A good amount of gore, great sound design and a nice escalation of tension help elevate it over a standard plot. The ending is very abrupt through and shows little of the aftermath.
= 3.5 out of 5

220px-Frighteners_ver1.jpg

17. The Frighteners (1996)
An overbearing mess from Peter Jackson in which Michael J. Fox can see dead people and works as a psychic investigator, partnering with ghosts to set up fake poltergeists and then cleaning them up for money.

That aspect is quickly forgotten as the plot veers to what seems like the spirit of death killing people off in a small town in quick succession.

Gross humor, obnoxious characters, tons of bad CGI, a typically bombastic score from Danny Elfman and a rushed romance that is tacked on out of nowhere. Two interesting setups for a horror film are wasted.

It's not much of a horror, comedy or an action film & Michael J. Fox isn't even charming here.
=1.5 out of 5

220px-Triangle_Christopher_Smith.jpg

18. Triangle (2009)
6 people are sailing when their boat capsizes. They're seemingly rescued by a deserted cruise liner passing by, but something strange and deadly is going on. About a third way in it changes things up with a supernatural angle which is explored to predictable ends- it doesn't get wild with the conceit, and the ending doesn't make much sense.

Some of the human drama was unnecessary too imo. Pretty good overall even if it never goes where I was hoping.
= 3 out of 5

In_Fabric_poster.jpg

19. In Fabric (2018)
An evil dress from a strange department store wreaks havoc n those who wear it.

That's the plot in this overly long horror film that tries to wring humor out of being weird and manages to come across as mostly annoying.

It's a difficult balancing act to make something this quirky and it didn't work for me, even if can appreciate bits and pieces. The two scenarios should have been combined in the plot stage- Sheila's son and his girlfriend should have had Reg and Babs story imo.
=2.5 out of 5

Berberian_Sound_Studio.jpg

20. Bereberian Sound Studio (2012)
A British sound mixer takes a job in Italy do do sound design for a horror film, in the 1970's.

There he's put upon, bullied and berated all the while getting disturbed by the repetitious viewing of horrific torture he has to add sound to.

And that's it. We never see a single frame of the film they're working on. There's no gore, no nudity or any hint at something sinister is happening.

With about 15 minutes to go something interesting finally pops up and the result is more of the same with a very minor difference. Has he lost his mind or has reality shifted, & does any of it matter?

It's just sheer monotony as we watch a group of unlikeable characters go through pretty much the same motions over and over.
= 2 out of 5

The_Void_2016_film.png

21. The Void (2016)
Cosmic horror descends upon a small rural hospital in the process of closing down.
A bunch of stock characters with overly familiar backstories try to survive the night and figure out what's going on.

A lot of bloodshed and a bunch of practical effects and good monster designs are the highlights in this partially crowdfunded project that works pretty well. A good genre piece.
= 3 out of 5

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
23. Hold That Ghost (1941, Arthur Lubin) ★★★½

Not as classic as Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein, but had enough fun bits throughout.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
78. Don't Torture A Duckling 1972

This is my favourite Fulci joint.

He uses his incredible panache for graphic violence and gore to expose the romanticism for Revenge and also tells an utterly gripping mystery with a satisfying conclusion.

5 outta 5

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
20) The Sect (1991)
★★½
Valuable lessons learned from Soavi's The Sect:

- Don't bring home old men obsessed with their package
- When buying a house, always check for tunnels to underground Satanic ritual chambers
- Rabbits like to channel surf
- The devil is a pelican

Kind of funny that I just saw Soavi-esque Italian horror about Satan wanting a bride (aka Amok Train). Now here's actual Soavi Italian horror about Satan wanting a bride. Rosemary's Baby meets Satanic Alice in Wonderland, filtered through the insane dream-logic moments and strange plotting you'd expect from a film directed by Soavi and produced by Argento. The madcap opening races from Manson-style desert massacre to downtown cult murder to human heart antics on the metro, and the rest of the runtime follows that same rhythm of bizarre supernatural…stuff. A dripfeed of bugs, devil rabbit, satanic pelican, killer cloth, knife murders, nightmares, undead attack, cult rites, and at least one ripped-off face.

But The Sect as a whole was never as good as its weirdest parts. Too sluggish, too sedate, too disjointed and nonsensical (nothing new for Italian horror of course), an underwhelming attempt at creeping dread that just made me miss the brazen insanity of The Church and the suspense of Stagefright. Still need to see Delamorte Delamore, but this is my least favorite Soavi at the moment
z6vhZZn.jpeg

I need to watch them again, but I think I'd put The Sect a tad above The Church just because it feels more consistent. The Church's script went though too many hands and it shows. The Church does have higher highs than The Sect though, so there's that.

Are you planning on getting to Dellamorte Dellamore? StageFright is definitely Soavi's most digestible film, but Dellamorte Dellamore is his masterpiece, imo. I don't want to oversell it because it can be polarizing and doesn't work for everyone, but it's hands down my favourite Italian horror movie and I loves me some Italian horror.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Movie 20 | Creature from the Black Lagoon, 1954

tumblr_pcyx1rk5Zw1x6m6njo1_540.gifv

Man, why are they so mean to the Creature? I mean yeah he killed those guys and keeps trying to kidnap that lady but I think we should give him a break.

Following up one prehistoric 50s monster movie with another. I was really impressed with this one. The underwater shots are gorgeous, and surprisingly plentiful - it feels like half the movie is underwater! It's just a really, really good looking movie, and you can see why it's lumped in with the original Universal movies from the 30s. Cast is solid, too. The David vs. Mark scientist rivalry is fun, if a little low-key, and Julie Adams makes for a charming (and distractingly gorgeous) leading lady. But of course, the Creature is the highlight. Well-performed, with an excellent design that's realized perfectly. Campy for sure, but there's some moments where the lighting hits just right, and you almost believe he's real...

Evidently it was originally conceived for 3D, which I didn't know. Would love to give it a watch in that format, though I'm not sure how well it holds up to modern scrutiny.

I've seen CftBL a few times in 3D. The first time was with the theatrical re-release in the '70s, and it was incredibly impressive on the big screen. The films 3D effects work incredibly well in the underwater scenes, and as you pointed out, that's a large part of the movie; with the exception of the odd "shoot the harpoon gun into the camera" moment it remains one of the most impressively open and deep 3D movies ever made imo...

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Horror Express (1973)
  2. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
  3. The Ghoul (1933)
  4. Dagon (2001)
  5. Dead of Night (1945)
  6. Sea Fever (2019)
  7. Portrait of Jennie (1948)
  8. Deathwatch (2002)
  9. Lemora - A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
  10. Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)
  11. All Souls Day: Dia de los Muertos (2005)
  12. Razorback (1984)
  13. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
  14. The Invisible Man (1933)
  15. The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)
  16. Kwaidan (1965)
  17. The Black Cat (1934)
  18. Lifeforce (1985)
  19. Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  20. Sputnik (2020)
  21. Werewolves Within (2021)
  22. The Craft (1996)
  23. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
  24. Dog Soldiers (2002)
  25. The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  26. The Host (2006)
  27. The Fog (1980)
  28. The Trollenberg Terror (1958)
  29. Return of Daimajin (1966)
  30. Masque of the Red Death (1964)
  31. The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)
%22The_Earth_Dies_Screaming%22_%281965%29.jpg

I think this film is great fun. It has it's heart and soul planted firmly in the spirit of '50s sci-fi B-movies, and it delivers in spades. A mysterious "gas attack" has killed most of the world's population; lucky survivors gather in a hotel in a small village to figure out what happened and what to do next... Filmed in black and white on a tight budget, this film has been called an obvious precursor to Night of the Living Dead and I think the praise is warranted. Directed with break-neck economy by Terrence Fisher, the film has alien robots, mindless living dead zombies and a claustrophobic oppressiveness that is really quite effective despite the film's budgetary limitations. Well worth the 62 minute run time.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
21. Dracula's Daughter (1936)

An "immediate sequel" like with Bride of Frankenstein, Bela Lugosi isn't even in this (unless you count Dracula's corpse). In fact, Van Helsing isn't in this much either. I love Gloria Holden in her starring role...even though she doesn't sound Hungarian like her father. She's also a rather reluctant vampire, who wants out of the undead curse, but her partner wants her to embrace it, so that power struggle is nice to see in this kind of movie. Also involved is Scotland Yard, which while they don't have the on-screen charisma of Van Helsing, the government isn't getting more involved with these killings.

It's a good sequel to Dracula that does a lot of different things without straying too far from what made the original great.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BNjMyMTZhOTgtNTM0NS00MzAzLWI4YjMtMmQ2MDk4NjkwYWI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg

41. Sea Fever (2019) (New) 2/5
Started off promising and right when things are about to kick off, it turns to characters and drama. I really wanted to like this one but I was left underwhelmed.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
1. Candyman (2021) 2/5
2. Lights out (2016) 4/5
3. SAW (2004) 3/5
4. Conjuring (2013) 4/5
5. Annabelle (2014) 5/5
6. Saw II (2005) 2/5
7. Saw III (2006): 4/5
8. Halloween (1978) 4.5/5
9. Haunt (2019) 3/5
10. Scream (1996) 5/5
11. Malignant (2021) 4/5
12 Saw IV (2007) 3/5
13. Conjuring 2 (2016) 4.5/5
14. Halloween (2018) 5/5
15. IT (2017) 5/5

IT (2017):

I already watched this one but was some time ago and wanted to see this one as a reminder before seeing IT 2. The movie at times actually scares me but also has the humor of the younger group. The IT clown is super well done and terrifying. My scariest part was when Georgie was in the basement and kept saying 'you could flow too'.. I can't wait to watch the second movie soon. I still need to see like 15 minutes but I don't think it is said yet but is there a reason why all the adults in that town are complete a-holes? Like damn what is wrong with that town

Maybe I am rating too high but the last 3 movies I actually REALLY enjoyed watching

5/5

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYjRhMzM4NmMtYmZlOC00ODJlLTg5NjQtNjk4ZWUwMDY5MDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

42. The Mutilator/Fall Break (1984) (New) 3/5
This one flew under my radar but it's a solid 80's slasher and the best part is that even had it's own cheesy sitcom theme song.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
24. Curse of Chucky (2013, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
I loved 1 and 2 growing up, but never really kept any of the sequels. I eventually saw bride, but didn't like how it veered off from traditional slasher with a doll twist to pure camp. The remake also did nothing for me. I thought I saw Seed but the Wikipedia summary didn't jog any memories. This soft reboot brought back everything I loved about the original. It had Chucky lurk in the background of a traditional family drama, Chucky interacting with a kid, and a more traditional slasher template that culminates in a full on battle at the end. None of these parts are anything special by themselves, but when they are infused with Chucky it just makes everything gel in a very satisfying way. I really enjoyed this, but didn't realize there was a post-credit scene until later! Since I love continuity I'm glad I tracked it down on YouTube before going into Cult.

Previous movies:
1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5
3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
4. Return of the Living Dead (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
5. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
6. The Wicker Man (1973, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4/5
7. Candyman (1992, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
8. Suspiria (1977, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
9. Ghoulies (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 1/5
10. Friday the 13th Part 4 (1984, streaming on Paramount+) 3/5
11. Friday the 13th Part 5 (1985, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
12. Friday the 13th Part 6 (1986, streaming on Peacock) 3/5
13. Friday the 13th Part 7 (1988, streaming on Peacock) 2/5
14. Friday the 13th Part 8 (1989, streaming on Peacock) 1.5/5
15. Friday the 13th (2009, streaming on HBO Max) 3.5/5
16. Videodrome (1983, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
17. Dead Ringers (1988, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
18. Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4.5/5
19. Sleepaway Camp 3 (1989, streaming on Pluto TV) 3/5
20. Dolls (1986, streaming on Amazon Prime) 3/5
21. Madhouse (1981, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
22. The People Under the Stairs (1991, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
23. Black Christmas (2019, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5. Jacob's Ladder (1990)
- I hadn't seen this one for many years (at least 10), but man, it really holds up. The horror imagery is still really effective, the acting (particularly from Tim Robbins) is excellent, and just the general vibe and eeriness I feel was way ahead of it's time. It's a horror classic in my eyes. 8.5/10

6. The Haunting (1999)
- This one is definitely NOT a horror classic, haha. But it's got Owen Wilson, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Liam Neeson all in their primes. It's a fun watch and feels very 90s. The CGI actually held up better than I expected. Biggest flaw is it was actually more boring and slow paced than I remember. And it's not scary at all. 5/10

7. Midsommar (2019)
- What a masterpiece this one is. That first 10 minutes fills you with such dread. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful, as are the articulately designed and constructed sets and structures. Such a unique approach on horror aesthetic well, keeping everything bright and colorful as all the madness occurs. Incredibly acted as well, by Florence Pugh in particular. Best horror movie I've watched this month. 9.2/10

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Films #32 and 33 – The Cleansing and The Reckoning

Although they are executed very differently, these two films have a whole host of surface similarities. In both cases the main character, falsely accused of witchcraft following the plague death of a close family member, is arrested and tortured in an attempt to prove her guilt. Both these leads have male authority figures offering to end the accusations in return for sexual favours. Both films feature beak-masked plague doctors, jealous female rivals and the search for witch-marks to reveal satanic fornication.

The differences are also striking. One was made with a decent budget, an acclaimed director, and features several actors who, while not exactly household names, have at least been in large scale feature film productions before. The other was made with a tiny budget, and has a cast and crew no-one's ever heard of. Most strikingly, one film is an interesting if flawed study of guilt, redemption and vengeance. The other is a tedious piece of trash.

The Cleansing is the cheap and good version of the tale. Alice, the accused, escapes her tormentors quite early in the film, and is protected by an enigmatic woodsman, who heals her wounds and takes her on as a kind of apprentice. He isn't all that he seems, in the end, but by then the apprentice is the master, and vengeance is definitely and satisfyingly hers.

bTWcbn6.png

There is no denying The Cleansing does have a suggestion of a made for TV movie about it. It lacks a certain gloss, and it's evident the film makers didn't have a great deal of money to play with. The movie makes up for this with great use of the beautiful Welsh fields and forests in which it was filmed. It also has a well-written script and interesting characters, and the acting ranges from competent to excellent.

The Reckoning is the expensive and unpleasant version. Grace, the accused, spends most of the film being tortured, often in truly horrific fashion, and we watch it all very much through the male gaze. Director Neil Marshall, romantically entangled in real life with lead actress and co-writer Charlotte Kirk, is clearly enamoured with her physical form, but there are only so many times you can look at a woman's rear-end before it begins to feel a little gratuitous. Yeah, Neil, we get it, she's got a great butt, but hadn't you better move on with the plot now? Oh, wait, there isn't one, perhaps you should just torture her some more.

kZuVBh4.png

I genuinely can't believe the man who made Dog Soldiers and The Descent also made this load of crap. Talking of The Descent, at one point in The Reckoning Grace starts hallucinating that she's having sex with Lucifer, and I swear Lucifer's make-up is just one of the monsters from The Descent with fake rams horns stuck on the side of his head. It just feels cheap, like the rest of the film. Only the presence of the ever-reliable Sean Pertwee elevates the movie from being bottom of the barrel garbage, and that's only really because I'm such a fanboy of his. No-one chews the scenery with more entertaining relish.

Scores:
The Cleansing – 3.5 out of 5
The Reckoning – 0.5 out of 5 plus an extra 0.5 just because of Mr Pertwee and his magnificent witch-finder hat

Films I've watched so far

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
BYqvUJg.jpg

51 - A Classic Horror Story 3/5

Actually pleasantly surprised with this one. Cool concept (just don't think too hard about it or it all falls apart lol), some really good visuals and it's actually quite brutal, and even tho it gets a bit bogged down in some spots when there's no kills going on, I still overall think it's worth a watch. Great final girl too.

List!

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
BYqvUJg.jpg

51 - A Classic Horror Story 3/5

Actually pleasantly surprised with this one. Cool concept (just don't think too hard about it or it all falls apart lol), some really good visuals and it's actually quite brutal, and even tho it gets a bit bogged down in some spots when there's no kills going on, I still overall think it's worth a watch. Great final girl too.

List!
Yeah, I liked this one too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
2021 Rankings said:
21) Intruder (1997)
★★★½
Handover horror as CAT III Misery. A Moment of Romance's Wu Chien-Lien is at her ruthless slasher best as a identity thief on the lam, going to bloody wicked lengths to secure a new life for herself and her husband. Taxi driver Chen is unfortunately her next victim; soon he's tape-cocooned to a wheelchair with his leg shattered, while the cunning psychopath uses his house as a base for her insane scheme. Stained with crimson and tinted stormy midnight blue, Intruder is 87 minutes of lean unrelenting suspense that grows increasingly cruel and twisted. No one is safe in this grim slice of Hong Kong horror-noir
zuhF73K.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
19) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)

39072-the-bird-with-the-crystal-plumage-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Come to Italy, it's your home. Nothing ever happens here!

A superb, taut thriller from Dario Argento, which conveniently made for a great contrast with Blood and Black Lace as my second entry

Now, it's not really a horror film, it's a straight mystery thriller, but obviously giallo is a broad genre. Other than the similar leather coat and black gloved killer, this took the opposite approach to Black Lace; while that film downplayed the investigation and mystery element in favour of giving the killer's deeds the focus, this is all about the chase. Our amateur investigation is front and center trying to unravel the murderous mystery alongside the police. We even get some circa 1970 forensic work in fine detail. I'm sure liberties were taken, but nothing stretches imagination or logic to the layman viewer at least. Now I did figure the killer's identity well in advance of the reveal, but that's just from a lifetime of mystery and thriller media, the film keeps it hidden well while not cheating the viewer with impossible knowledge (indeed, after the film, I went back to an earlier scene, and sure enough, the pivotal clue is right there to be seen).

Also differing from the lurid colors and theatrical composition of Black Lace, Argento opts for a stark and grittier look, bolstered by a terrific unnerving score from Ennio Morricone. The strange male and female vocalizations mixed into the ambient score bolster so many scenes. In between the stark visuals (including several predominantly white locations) and the emphasis on forensic investigation, I wondered if this film was an influence on Michael Mann's Manhunter (incidentally a fantastic film you should go out of your way to see). Given I sensed some Hitchcock influence on some of the editing and framing in the film (particularly a murder scene set around a dark winding staircase), it's just funny to consider the chain of influence over many decades.

Cracking good stuff, recommended.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Film #15.

The Innocents (1961)

MV5BYTYxZTQwOGQtNTJjNC00ZmVhLWJjNTQtYzY0M2VjYzI5MmU1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

God damn, this was great! I had forgotten Haunting of Bly Manor was also based on this and I when Bly was mentioned it took me a moment to realize it, perhaps it was a different Bly but no, this was the real deal. Even though having seen Haunting, I was glued to the screen with the performances.

Instead of a bunch of ghosts of cooks and caretakers and cameo ghosts it's pure about these two children and the two characters they're tied with and it gives them all the time to shine, and that they do. phenomenal acting by these two kids.

Watching this after The Haunting of Bly Manor made me appreciate Haunting way more, amazing how the new actors managed to capture the older characters. And holy cow, this sure ends on a completely different note.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is why I didn't want to make a predetermined list. Stuff keeps leaving streaming services. I make a mental note, come back a week or two later, gone. If I'm gonna spend money, I'd rather blu-ray. Out of stock. Ugh. Anyway, back to Shudder.

29 -- Viy

(first watch)
This started off whimsical, boys will be boys, blah. The main character, this William-Petersen-looking dude, was a bit of a douche. Maybe he should have been haunted by a dead girl/witch while impressed into the service of sitting and praying by her coffin for three straight nights. Some of the sequences were kind of trippy and neat. But then, holy shit, that finale goes off the fucking rails. Worth the 77 minutes, IMO, for that last haunting.

Wait, how did the logic of this thing even work? Was there some Donnie Darko type time shenanigans???

28 -- Evil Dead

(rewatch)
I'd only seen this one once before, years ago, so I didn't remember much.

This is, IMO, a pretty awesome remake/reimagining of the original. It dialed down the comedy, and dialed up the horror and gore--but it works.
This shit is so gory and so intense, it actually had me cringing. And it just does not let up. Just fantastic.

Highly recommend.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
List so far

There%27s_Someone_Inside_Your_House_%28film_poster%29.png

20 - There's Someone Inside Your House 1/5

This was a very poor teen slasher with a nonsensical story and a cast of characters IU just did not give 2 fucks about. It's cloody and it has a couple of good kills, but these come far and few between, and the rest is a bunch of shit drama about SECRETS. Scream this ain't. It gets 1 star for the somewhat decent kills and LBGT+ inclusions, which are more than most movies have.
I like the idea of a killer that wears a 3D printed mask of the victim face when he kills them, but that's about all the movie has going for it.

Also, it's kind of obvious who the killer is when you look at the cast of characters and think "which one of these people can afford a 3D printer?"

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
20. Scream (1996)

• Rating: 8.5 gallons of corn syrup (same stuff they used for pig's blood in Carrie) out of 10

• Synopsis: "A year after the murder of her mother, a teenage girl is terrorized by a new killer, who targets the girl and her friends by using horror films as part of a deadly game."

aXAByjBN8UhaYvotqRCwa5MsMGu.jpg

It's been so long since the last time I watched this film, I thought it would be interesting to rewatch it. And yeah, it was amazing!

It's no wonder the release of this movie had the effect of a defibrillator for the horror genre. And it's also not a surprise how it's still directly inspiring so many other new movies even after 25 years. This thing is just pure fun. And it's smart. I think what I like most about it is not necessarily all the fun references to other classic horror movies, it's how the characters think like the audience thinks. Everything people would say while watching the movie, the characters will say out loud themselves. They speculate over who the killer is, they complain about horror tropes... This film acts like if its characters – and the audience – were smart people. I love it.

If you haven't watched this movie yet, drop everything and do that now. It really should be required viewing for everybody that likes the horror genre.

---

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
25. Cult of Chucky (2017, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
Wow another great entry in the Chucky franchise. I love that it is a direct sequel to Curse, which was an excellent soft reboot, as well as the others. The asylum was a nice setting and the movie itself was still contained nicely despite the expanding of the scope of the plot compared to Curse. The first half eased us into things with Chucky being in the background once again before devoting the back half to displaying Chucky in all his campy glory. The balance was great, the kills were great, and the ending left me very excited for the future of the franchise. I worry that future entries could devolve into being too Chucky-focused, too campy, and too sprawling without grounding the plots in character-work and atmosphere, but I'm hearing good things about the TV show. Oh, and once again Peacock skipped right over the post credits scene, but YouTube saved the day.

Previous movies:
1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5
3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
4. Return of the Living Dead (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
5. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
6. The Wicker Man (1973, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4/5
7. Candyman (1992, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
8. Suspiria (1977, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
9. Ghoulies (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 1/5
10. Friday the 13th Part 4 (1984, streaming on Paramount+) 3/5
11. Friday the 13th Part 5 (1985, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
12. Friday the 13th Part 6 (1986, streaming on Peacock) 3/5
13. Friday the 13th Part 7 (1988, streaming on Peacock) 2/5
14. Friday the 13th Part 8 (1989, streaming on Peacock) 1.5/5
15. Friday the 13th (2009, streaming on HBO Max) 3.5/5
16. Videodrome (1983, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
17. Dead Ringers (1988, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
18. Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4.5/5
19. Sleepaway Camp 3 (1989, streaming on Pluto TV) 3/5
20. Dolls (1986, streaming on Amazon Prime) 3/5
21. Madhouse (1981, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
22. The People Under the Stairs (1991, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
23. Black Christmas (2019, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
24. Curse of Chucky (2013, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's been so long since the last time I watched this film, I thought it would be interesting to rewatch it. And yeah, it was amazing!

It's no wonder the release of this movie had the effect of a defibrillator for the horror genre. And it's also not a surprise how it's still directly inspiring so many other new movies even after 25 years. This thing is just pure fun. And it's smart. I think what I like most about it is not necessarily all the fun references to other classic horror movies, it's how the characters think like the audience thinks. Everything people would say while watching the movie, the characters will say out loud themselves. They speculate over who the killer is, they complain about horror tropes... This film acts like if its characters – and the audience – were smart people. I love it.

If you haven't watched this movie yet, drop everything and do that now. It really should be required viewing for everybody that likes the horror genre.
Scream was the first horror movie I watched in its entirety, before that I just had irrational deep emotional reactions to them and couldn't do it.

Scream deconstructed it all so brilliantly that overnight horror became my genre.

Which is funny because I'm literally praising Scream for not making me afraid anymore

DonAntti

Mar 11, 2019
Finland
1. Fright Night 2011 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
2. Leprechaun Returns 2018 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
3. Ready or Not 2019 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
4. Insidious Chapter 3 2015 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
5. The Final Girls 2015 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
6. Apocalypse Domani 1980 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
7. His House 2020 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
8. Day Of The Dead: Bloodline 2018 (First watch) Rating: 1/10
9. No One Gets Out Alive 2021 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
10. Willy's Wonderland 2021 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
11. The Babysitter 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
12. The Babysitter: Killer Queen 2020 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
13. The Addams Family 1991 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
14. The Addams Family Values 1993 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
15. The Omen 1976 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
16. Muppets Haunted Mansion 2021 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
17. Frankenweenie 2012 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
18. Trauma 1993 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
19. Don't Torture A Duckling 1972 (First watch) Rating: 9/10

s166

20. Terrified 2017 (First watch)

- Strange death leads to a paranormal investigation in Buenos Aires. There are some nice somewhat creepy scenes in this and the acting and camerawork are pretty good also. Honestly, my biggest problem with this one was that I didn't really find any of the characters really that interesting. overall the movie had some nice scares and creepy scenarios, a decent watch.

Rating: 7/10

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
21) Intruder (1997)
★★★½
Handover horror as CAT III Misery. A Moment of Romance's Wu Chien-Lien is at her ruthless slasher best as a identity thief on the lam, going to bloody wicked lengths to secure a new life for herself and her husband. Taxi driver Chen is unfortunately her next victim; soon he's tape-cocooned to a wheelchair with his leg shattered, while the cunning psychopath uses his house as a base for her insane scheme. Stained with crimson and tinted stormy midnight blue, Intruder is 87 minutes of lean unrelenting suspense that grows increasingly cruel and twisted. No one is safe in this grim slice of Hong Kong horror-noir
zuhF73K.jpg
I love this movie! Really wish I could watch it again. I hope it's on Blu-ray!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 21 | Piranha, 1978

2OmaZwL.gif

Significantly less schlocky than I expected! It's still pretty "cheap" with simple effects, lots of blood, and more boobage than you really need, but it takes the subject seriously and has some effectively traumatic violence. That being said, the "blood in a blender" effect for the piranha attacks is never not funny.

Great 70s vibes, too, which I always enjoy. Barbara Steele shows up, though it's a pretty bit part (and I barely recognized her in color), with a nice appearance from Dick Miller as a slimy resort owner, but other than that not much to write home about. Still, better than it has any real right to be.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
30 -- Sleepy Hollow

(rewatch)
I've only seen this a couple of times. It's Burton, it's dark, it's gorgeous, the settings are amazing, the violence is swift and plentiful. So. Many. Decapitations.

It's a lot of fun seeing so many cool actors (pedo notwithstanding) together in this period pop horror flick. Johnny Depp is great in that he is....so normal relative to his future roles. But still weird and fun! Recommend!

Now this is why I didn't want to make a predetermined list. Stuff keeps leaving streaming services. I make a mental note, come back a week or two later, gone. If I'm gonna spend money, I'd rather blu-ray. Out of stock. Ugh. Anyway, back to Shudder.

29 -- Viy

(first watch)
This started off whimsical, boys will be boys, blah. The main character, this William-Petersen-looking dude, was a bit of a douche. Maybe he should have been haunted by a dead girl/witch while impressed into the service of sitting and praying by her coffin for three straight nights. Some of the sequences were kind of trippy and neat. But then, holy shit, that finale goes off the fucking rails. Worth the 77 minutes, IMO, for that last haunting.

Wait, how did the logic of this thing even work? Was there some Donnie Darko type time shenanigans???

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
30 -- Sleepy Hollow

(rewatch)
I've only seen this a couple of times. It's Burton, it's dark, it's gorgeous, the settings are amazing, the violence is swift and plentiful. So. Many. Decapitations.

It's a lot of fun seeing so many cool actors (pedo notwithstanding) together in this period pop horror flick. Johnny Depp is great in that he is....so normal relative to his future roles. But still weird and fun! Recommend!

what?

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
17. Yokai Monsters: Along With Ghosts (1969)

backdrop-1920.jpg

The last of the Daiei Yokai films, and the least "Yokai" centric. If I had to guess, this was an unrelated "Chanbarah"/"Jidai-geki" script that was quickly re-worked to fit the Yokai in to fulfill the three-picture Yokai commitment. It's not bad by any means, it's a good, pulpy Samurai-period film with low-level gangsters and Yakuza menacing a young girl on a journey to find her absent father, but if you're coming into this expecting the same Yokai with personality that made the second film so fun, prepare to be disappointed.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#21. The Omen (1976) - Anyone else think Gregory Peck and Powers Boothe kinda look alike? Damien features surprisingly little in this movie. Perhaps they were aware of the difficulties of making a small child threatening so they opted for his nanny and dogs to be the actual threat. I suppose it is fairly in character for Satan to have other people do his bidding. People are also killed in Final Destination like accidents. The movie is pretty good. I enjoyed the parts where Peck and David Warner are uncovering the mystery.

313bbb1b-07cb-46da-992d-88b47680a6d2_1.e7b6de28576b850b159a4bcbc6fcf860.jpeg

Like a soap opera from hell, and that might be more literal than it initially seems, this Korean horror oddity starts veering left as soon as possible and doesn't stop for a second as it twists and turns into the most outrageous ways imaginable. Describing the film is honestly futile as its episodic nature can often feel like a series of vaguely connected vignettes that star the same lead as he struggles with suicidal thoughts and somehow always manages to come across the right kind of weirdo to give him some more supernatural pushes in the other direction to continue on. How they do it really does need to be seen to be believed, as not since the likes of House have I seen a horror film from the same region and era this colorful and bold while pushing the weirdness to lunatic extremes. Where does one even begin with this? Did it even end? The mind truly reels!

Like House, there is something of a method to the madness, as it's clear that director Kim Ki-young has clearly put an awful lot of thought into the presentation itself. As mentioned, the episodic approach allows a lot of time for us to get to know Young-gul as the opening sequence that has him coming face to face with death in a truly unexpected way shakes him to his very core that has him spiraling quickly and seemingly without pause. With each passing visit from a stranger, his resolve to end himself gets chipped away incrementally as his ghostly companions have their ways of putting him back on the path to appreciate life itself and, hopefully, his own life as well. There is a grounding to the drama, if certainly of a melodramatic variety, that helps to find a genuine heft to the more absurd elements as it doesn't lose much sight of that through line of Young-gul's struggle with finding a reason to keep going on gets more colorful and meaningful with each situation leading right into the next. It's quite compelling in that regard and finds an odd bedfellow with the madness that unfolds around him as booksellers turn out to be stubbornly immortal, love interests turn out to be a bit more cannibalistic than he prefers, and a serial killer may or may not be heading into the direction of giving him important life lessons with each beheading he sends to him. Did I mention that the title does prove literal by the end? Oh yeah, it's that kind of movie.

At its best, this can feel like the supercut of an entire season of a really wacky soap opera with how committed it is to being committed to an asylum while not losing sight of the sadness and the journey past it, but it can flag once the story settles into the household where Young-gul finds gainful employment as the cast of characters doesn't grow from there and it begins to focus more on a tentative relationship between himself and his boss's daughter, who has a more direct connection to recent events than he first realizes. This doesn't make the film bad by any stretch, as there are plenty of pleasantly weird scenes between the two of them and Kim's eye for finding the most visually interesting way to depict the relationship (and everything else, for that matter) gives it a good charge, but it's hard to not want to get back to the initial pacing of Young-gul's encounters with whatever supernatural entity he comes by as that format was a more winning one as it suited the inherently opaque nature of the storytelling a lot more cleanly. The melodrama also becomes more prominent in these scenes that works about as well as melodrama pitched to the rafters at all times can get, with it wearing you down over time that sapping some of the energy that the earlier scenes of the film had as it gets a bit bogged down.

Boy howdy, does this wind up coming through in the final stretch as it gives up making any kind of sense whatsoever as we're treated to a truly bizarre finale that completely shatters the divide between reality and nightmare as Young-gul finally starts to have something resembling an enlightenment, only for those left turns to come back and take the story into a truly wild direction. Here, the melodrama gets paired perfectly with what's transpiring, as things start to make more sense when they start making the least sense (it actually makes sense when you see it, trust me) and culminates in a jaw dropping series of character moments that makes it impossible to believe that it could have ended any other way for all of them. The audacity of the film reaches its logical extreme here and winds up bowling you over with its imagery and bravado. It's a strangely satisfying film like that: just when it hits what feels like the middle of a lull that threatens to capsize the whole enterprise, it sends out a torpedo designed to explode so brightly that it sends it high up into the sky, never for it to touch the ground ever again as it glides like some kind of horrible, impressive sight. What it all means may not actually be all that important, as the film seems to expect you to take away that what all anything means is what that particular moment feels like for you. Unafraid to be messy, unapologetic about no one getting this in its entirety, and undaunted by the prospects of losing folks along the way, this is the kind of barely contained crazy that's honestly better for being what it is as your reflection on your experience is so much more important than you realize. And if for nothing else, you can always rest easy that you'll never see a film take the concept of erotic cakes so literally as this one does, and that absolutely counts for a lot in my book.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
21. Magic Magic (2013)

• Rating: 7.5 squawking birds that just won't stop out of 10

• Synopsis: "A young tourist's trip in remote Chile with friends turns into a waking nightmare."

cDB4vut.jpg

This film is very unique. So unsettling! Seeing this young woman, Alicia, slowly mentally unravel over the course of the movie is very troubling.

And the film does a great job in putting us into her headspace. The discomfort begins with small things – awkward social interactions, slightly upsetting situations, noises – and it keeps increasing in intensity until everything is just ready to explode. The whole movie is an uncomfortably tense crescendo.

But I really don't think this movie is for everyone. Its success depends on one's ability to empathize with the character of Alicia. People that can't will undoubtedly arrive at the end wondering what the hell happened. That said, for those willing to let themselves follow Alicia in her terrifying downward spiral, this movie has a lot to offer. It really is a ride.

hDCGGOsSJ2B8hQrKDqiFyEnT6O5.jpg

---

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
21. The Exorcist
23512_aa.jpg

so this is actually my first time watching this from beginning to end. I always came in around halfway through. The gradual buildup of Reagan undergoing possession is great and some of the scenes still freak me right the fuck out. This is a classic for a reason. I know the sequels have their moments as well but they can't touch the original

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
There's a dangerously low amount of people watching Caveat on Shudder here. It's discouraging.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
L26fWnMl.jpg

43. A Nightmare on Elm Street [1984]

OK, a classic. Still incredibly effective and creepy and fun! Probably my favorite of the Nightmare series. It really wavers I think depending on my mood, but it's really hard to beat this first one tbh. I like Freddy as a serious threat (not that he isnt anymore of a threat going on), but there is just that base level of genuinely creepy and strange that the other movies trade off on for jokes and a bigger personality. Yea this one is just a rock solid pillar of horror.

4 and a half 🌠 out of 5

BkHFT7Ml.png

44. Slumber Party Massacre [2021]

Went in not expecting much, but ended up being a lot better and smarter than I expected. Still plenty dumb though, but its the good dumb. I liked the trope stuff they played around in (the Guys, the toxic masculinity and the villain flips) and the cast got better as the movie went along. there was definitely a period of stiffness with the cast, but it seemed like it shook off later in the movie when you finally saw the full scope of what this was. SyFy is honestly on a roll with these reboots/sequels with that Leprechaun movie last year being pretty decent (and in the top three best of the series).

3 🌠 out of 5

yzuOx51l.jpg

45. RWD [2015]

Whew, I really liked the concept on this one. I thought it was effectively put together and made zero sense in a good way, but jesus christ on a cracker with some crutches did I genuinely hate the characters we were stuck with. Even when that's the point of a story I shouldn't have to constantly feel like I wanna just turn it off and call it off totally. I really just drug myself straight through this movie. Like dragging myself through broken glass. They were genuinely the worst. Great concept, maybe too long, but those characters were insufferable and greatly hampered my enjoyment of the ridiculousness.

2 and a half 🌠 out of 5

sfZ0ZmWl.jpg

46. Blood Harvest [1987] ~ Origin of Evil ~

Did not expect Tiny Tim in this one. I chose it on a whim not knowing he was playing the clown, but there he is. In all of his clowny goodness. Now to move away from the goodness of a clown (because if you catch me saying 'goodness of clowns' you gotta know my extreme aversions to clowns and that it must've taken something so much more disturbing in this movie to think of clowns fondly) and move onto the rampant sexual assault! yep, just scene after scene of sexual assault. Not full on to 11 assault, but still sexual assault nonetheless. This story was just straight up the creepiest fucking thing I've seen this month (not counting Titane, but that's a good creepy) this was just damn near weird and exploitative and kinda not fun. even on the titilation factor by the time you gleam whats going on here and its moved past just the exploitation titilation and its just straight up assault for assaults sake it changes the tone of the movie completely and really makes me wonder if Tiny Tim knew what he was getting himself into with this one. Its just odd and unneeded and could've been done in a variety of ways to get the point across and still be creepy and strange without going full bore. Also there was no blood harvesting tbh. a lot more wasting than harvesting.

2 🌠 out of 5

lvqliBql.jpg

47. Wolf Creek [2005]

This is one mean son of a bitch movie. Just hard as nails and kinda relentless, but good? I dunno, I enjoyed it to a degree, but damn was it just mean as hell. I can see why it has a cult following though. It's the most coherent of the "torture porn" genre since its lumped in there. It has structure and forward momentum and characters that arent "asking for it" (like the Hostel dudes). It's just cruel. Either that's your cup of tea or it isnt. Just a very hard movie, but enjoyable in its own way especially divorced from the decade that birthed it.

3 and a half 🌠 out of 5

xN7bcA5l.jpg

48. Serial Mom [1994]

Love this movie. Waters was really hitting on all cylinders with this one and I think this one deserves a re-appraisal from this generation (aside from the one transphobic joke you get in the courtroom sketch, but I'll leave that to better minds to dissect because I cant imagine Waters intended it to be hurtful, but it still is? I'll leave that for brighter minds to unravel) and a lot more commendation for Kathleen Turner's wonderful turn as a serial killer mom. This could be especially fun if we got a 21st Century update, bring in Mrs. Turner again tbh. I'd love a Serial Grandma of the 21st century with our true crime podcasts, even deeper love of horror with all these remakes and reboots. Too bad John doesnt seem to be working anymore.

4 🌠 out of 5

UCKPv4cl.jpg

49. Beware: Children at Play [1989]

This is a bad movie. The best part is the massacre at the end. I dont regret finally watching this one, but yea it was largely just a waste of time. Fun dumb kid stuff in here though and you gotta love the Troma budget constraints, but yea, its not a good movie at all. It often reminded me of those creepy childrens safety videos with that level of quality you'd see in those.

2 🌠 out of 5

RAu3HuRl.jpg

50. Night of the Zombies [1980]

This was also a bad movie I kept putting off for the longest time. I always suspected it would be bad even tho the poster is kinda great and classic in its own way, but the best parts of this movie are like the first 8 minutes and the last 15 minutes. The rest of the time it felt super stretched out, vaguely racist (i dont know much about italian 70's racism, but there was something pretty blatant about this one) and just slow as shit. it couldnt have been any slower if it tried. We got some boobs at one point but by then I was so checked out it barely registered. Yea, just that 23 minutes was pretty good. the rest of the runtime is awful. Cool little ending piece divorced from the main story too.

2 🌠 out of 5

5AddygKl.jpg

51. The Blob [1958]

I needed a break from the 80's and went all the way back to the 50's. Steve McQueen is not the McQueen everyone knows and was super stiff and awkward to watch. The movie is all kinda awkward, but that's kinda the period I guess? I dunno, these monster movies I never had too much reverence for them, but I saw plenty as a kid because my paternal grandfather had this 8mm projector and a bunch of film reels that included this, King Kong, I vaguely remember a Zorro picture and the giant ant movie. I dunno, this was alright. It was neat seeing all the effects and practical stuff they did to bring the Blob to life, but it didnt hold my attention all the way through and that child that's supposed to be like 6, but looks 10 and talks like a 2 year old... what was up with that kid.

3 🌠 out of 5

coma

Oct 28, 2017
24. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972, Emilio Miraglia) ★★★½

Solid middle-tier giallo.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
80. The Fifth Cord 1971

A cinematographically beautiful film, with an alright script and a fully bought in cast.

Very of the time masculine protagonist, with some solid set pieces

A good little giallo

3.5 outta 5