Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
16. The Abominable Dr. Phibes

This is my fourth year in a row with including a Vincent Price film, and he just does not let me down. He doesn't even have Roger Corman to rely on and he still delivers. This here is sort of a precursor to the slasher genre and is giallo-like, while also having the elaborate deaths that you'd expect in a Saw flick. Phibes (pronounced Ph-eye-bes) has an intriguing driving story here. The film is often funny but not him, he is deadly serious. The real winner here though is the script with cleverly written dialogue. It's the kind where it makes you smile, then laugh, then go "oh shit!" once you realize what Phibes has in store for these people. Great art direction and colors as well.

And hey! Joseph Cotton is in this.

8/10

17. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

You can't help but get drawn into the feud between these costars. Hell, they even made a show about it (Ryan Murphy would make a show out of everything if he could). It's a good old school psychological thriller, and I feel Stephen King's Misery owes a debt to it in some aspects. Even though you basically think you know how it all plays out, it still finds ways to surprise you. Jane and Blanche, two peas in a pod. The success of this is anchored by the performances, particularly Bette (sorry Joan). Bette's character is the louder one that allows the star to stunt a bit harder. It's iconic for a reason, particularly that makeup. It's not a top of its class type of thriller, with some aspects holding it back, but it should be mandatory for any horror history hounds.

8/10

18. Curse of the Werewolf

Hey, what do you know? It's a werewolf movie that's actually solid. Which, unfortunately is rare in my experience. There's a handful that deserve recognition, particularly Landis' contribution as well as Dante's and Ginger Snaps.

To be honest, I don't know why this works for me as well as it does. On paper, it's messy as hell. The lead, the great Oliver Reed doesn't even show up until the halfway point, which then a love story is rushed through and there's barely any werewolf action. Somehow though...

I also appreciated how it played around some with the tropes, particularly with how Leon became cursed in the place. It actually presents a number of reasons why, which could all have contributed to it. It's not perfectly explained and it doesn't need to be. The beginning of this picture is very mean spirited, showing the domineering effects of those in power (sounds familiar). Afterwards, we get a dose of happiness to balance it. I was drawn into the earnestness of Leon's family, particularly Theresa the servant (that word seems wrong here, I'll call her the helper lady). She's as warm as a Christmas cookies, and I normally hate Christmas shit in October. Fortunately, the movie also has enough sense to leave enough threads hanging that you know this is heading towards a place that isn't so happy (which is possibly the greatest trope of this genre).

The Spain setting is great, and it's Hammer... so you know it has a vibe. Nothing Hammers quite like Hammer does. Interesting that this is their only werewolf flick. I guess they didn't think they had enough vampire ones (said nobody ever). It doesn't reach the heights of their best offerings like Quatermass and such, but it sits firmly in the tier below.

7.5/10

This sounds like a disaster. It's on Tubi!

I think that the book it appeared in for John Kenneth Muir's wonderful decade-based film guides mentioned that film as being one of the most painful that he ever had to endure.

I know, "stop, my penis can get only so erect" and all that, but there's a genuine scholar telling you to avoid it like the plague.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I think that the book it appeared in for John Kenneth Muir's wonderful decade-based film guides mentioned that film as being one of the most painful that he ever had to endure.

I know, "stop, my penis can get only so erect" and all that, but there's a genuine scholar telling you to avoid it like the plague.

I own Death Bed: The Bed that Eats on Blu-ray and I'm still telling people not to watch it. It's that awful.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
All this Suspiria back and forth made me take the remake off my list.

I'll say I utterly adore the film (and the original), but I'm very unlikely to hit 31 anyway and I really have no interest in risking rearing that discussion back up again in a few days time.
Ha, follow your heart and watch whatever. I promise I won't yell at you.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
23) Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)

220px-Don%27tTortureaDuckling.jpg

We can build highways but we can't escape ignorance and superstition.

In which Donald Duck solves a crime. That makes sense in context, I swear.

I originally had The House With Laughing Windows on my list instead, but I couldn't for the life of me find a copy, so I went backwards in time and added a Lucio Fulci giallo instead. This entry is a dark, nihilistic mystery. There's no sense of camp or thrills here, not least because the victims of a killer aren't beautiful women for once, but young children. Its strongest element is by far its setting, a rural Italian village surrounded by forest and rocky rolling greenhills. The cinematography takes full advantage of the vistas, but is a little more raw than the perfect posing of Deep Red, making the would-be beautiful locations seem forlorn and melancholy. Helping it along is a genuinely unnerving score, full of echoing stings and screeches. The gore likewise is rough, savage and not meant to entertain in any way.

I figured out the culprit relatively early, but like other times I attribute it to copious consumption of mystery media much newer than this, rather than the film's fault. I think it is more interested in evoking grim themes of superstition, stagnation and alienation, particularly revolving around the rural/urban divide and presence of the Catholic Church. As far how well it succeeds, I think it does so relatively; it wouldn't rank in the top but it at least has more on its mind than just a collection of kills. Probably most poignant is a scene where a dying victim crawls to the side of a highway looking for help, and not a single car so much as slows down.

It's not my favourite film this last week, but it's a strong if depressing entry into the genre.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
28. The Church (1989, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
Thanks to excelsiorlef for this recommendation, among others. This masterpiece has thrills, chills, beautiful sets, and an amazing score. Instead of a boring review, I will give you my play by play reactions:

Argento movies always seem to have banging music.
Damn these knights are assholes.
But that goose is the biggest asshole of them all.
Shit this librarian has game, who the hell just casually asks someone for a cup of coffee like that?
This man is not interested in sex at all.
A priest slapping a child is only funny in a movie like this.
Honey, why are you still into this dork?
Damn that was dope.
Holy shit, right through the window?!
Damn I guess police in other parts of the world are fast as hell.
Oh shit you know something is wrong when this guy actually wants to get busy.
This man was obviously the main influence for Nicholas Cage.
Damn this mom gives no fucks.
This is the chillest bride ever, those stains are very noticeable.
That was the chillest bride ever.
"Have a biscuit, they're groovy!"
This is amazing.
Oh shit!
Damn when that chill went it never came back.
Only the black guy is doing anything about this whole mess.
So...the church was right all along?
Holy shit this is wild.
Well...shit.

5/5 and one of my new favorite movies.

Previous movies:
1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5
3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
4. Return of the Living Dead (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
5. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
6. The Wicker Man (1973, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4/5
7. Candyman (1992, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
8. Suspiria (1977, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
9. Ghoulies (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 1/5
10. Friday the 13th Part 4 (1984, streaming on Paramount+) 3/5
11. Friday the 13th Part 5 (1985, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
12. Friday the 13th Part 6 (1986, streaming on Peacock) 3/5
13. Friday the 13th Part 7 (1988, streaming on Peacock) 2/5
14. Friday the 13th Part 8 (1989, streaming on Peacock) 1.5/5
15. Friday the 13th (2009, streaming on HBO Max) 3.5/5
16. Videodrome (1983, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
17. Dead Ringers (1988, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
18. Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4.5/5
19. Sleepaway Camp 3 (1989, streaming on Pluto TV) 3/5
20. Dolls (1986, streaming on Amazon Prime) 3/5
21. Madhouse (1981, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
22. The People Under the Stairs (1991, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
23. Black Christmas (2019, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
24. Curse of Chucky (2013, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
25. Cult of Chucky (2017, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
26. Stagefright (1987, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
27. Beyond Re-Animator (2003, streaming on Tubi) 2/5

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
97. Drive Thru 2007

Some ok gore and I do like the two leads as performers but they were given fucking nothing here. Horrible humor, god awful ending

1 outta 5

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
25) Rogue (2007)
★★★½
Greg McLean is no stranger to movies about monsters stalking Australian tourists. Rogue may trade Outback plains for Kakadu wetlands, and a terrifying John Jarratt for a terrifying crocodile, but the tension and beautiful isolation are as taut as ever. The movie even shares a similar Wolf Creek issue of a tad-too-gradual first act that probably could've been trimmed tighter. But once Radha Mitchell's river cruise is sunk and its group stranded on a muddy isle, Rogue doesn't skimp on the suspense, resourceful survival, or creature attacks.

Despite having an awesome animatronic/digital hybrid at his disposal, McLean sticks to the Jaws playbook of the croc being an often unseen but always lurking presence. That tried-and-true restraint becomes both asset and anchor, especially since Rogue's sequences of subdued escalating tension are quite effective. When that restraint erupts into creature action, the shift can feel incongruous. At times, the final act climax seems transplanted from a different film. But I can't complain too much when the whole is such a great and underrated creature-horror gem. Fantastic practical/CG monster, lush isolating atmosphere, a strong cast, and some truly intense moments.

Was a surprise to see pre-Terminator/Avatar Sam Worthington; a few years later and he probably would've been the protagonist rather than the asshole side-character. To his credit though, McLean knows we've seen Razorback, Wolf Creek, and countless other movies like this, so the greater surprise was Worthington's asshole character actually proving to be otherwise!
ZpysUxh.jpg

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Horror Express (1973)
  2. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
  3. The Ghoul (1933)
  4. Dagon (2001)
  5. Dead of Night (1945)
  6. Sea Fever (2019)
  7. Portrait of Jennie (1948)
  8. Deathwatch (2002)
  9. Lemora - A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
  10. Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)
  11. All Souls Day: Dia de los Muertos (2005)
  12. Razorback (1984)
  13. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
  14. The Invisible Man (1933)
  15. The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)
  16. Kwaidan (1965)
  17. The Black Cat (1934)
  18. Lifeforce (1985)
  19. Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  20. Sputnik (2020)
  21. Werewolves Within (2021)
  22. The Craft (1996)
  23. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
  24. Dog Soldiers (2002)
  25. The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  26. The Host (2006)
  27. The Fog (1980)
  28. The Trollenberg Terror (1958)
  29. Return of Daimajin (1966)
  30. Masque of the Red Death (1964)
  31. The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)
  32. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
  33. Dr Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
  34. Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth (1992)
  35. The Mummy (1932)
  36. Twins of Evil (1971)
  37. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
FX1CkJe.jpg

I have come down with a cold, so comfort movies are required. This is surely the best of the Abbott & Costello franchise, imo, and contains many of thier signature skits. Lon Chaney, Evelyn Ankers, Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange lend their popular Universal monster talents for some warm chuckles but few chills; still, it's a childhood favorite and one that I try to keep in the Halloween rotation. Even has a cameo by Vincent Price (bet you won't see him!)... The blu-ray(s)* from the Universal Monsters box set is just beautiful, too.

* There are more copies of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein in the Universal Monsters box set than any other film, as it is a side feature in three subsets: Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
#Film 16.

V/H/S 94.

Man, didn't like this at all. I could see they had some neat idea's but parts were so drawn out and had problem with keeping attention.

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
October 24

Movie: Three... Extremes (2004)

Watched on: DVD

Three... Extremes is three short films directed by three Asian film directors. Short thoughts about each segment:

Dumplings: Directed by Hong Kong director Fruit Chan, this tells the story of an aging TV actress finding a way to stop/reverse the aging process to so she can regain her husband's attention. She finds a mysterious woman who makes her dumplings that have anti-aging properties. The dumplings work, and things are going great for her...until she gets greedy and wants a more potent dumpling. This segment is just gross and disturbing. What the dumplings are made of, just ugh! Nice cinematography, the acting is good, the sound effects are effective as frick, and it's just really interesting.

Cut: Directed by South Korean director Park Chan-wook, this is about a successful, well-respected movie director who gets kidnapped, along with his wife, and held captive in a movie set. Their captor is quite the unstable individual! He forces the director to kill a little girl or he will chop off his wife's finger one by one. The director tries to avoid killing the girl by revealing things about himself, but to no avail. Things go very bad, as you would expect! This is my favorite of the three movies. It is darkly funny. The actor who plays the captor (Im Won-hee) is absolutely incredible. He is hilarious, yet unstable and evil! He's got great dance moves, too! Great cinematography, great acting, disturbing conclusion. Highly recommend seeing this short!

Box: Directed by Takashi Miike, this one tells the story of a young woman bothered by nightmares she keeps having of her past as a circus performer with her twin sister. Their adult co-performer (who also looks like her publisher) seems to favor the sister, and the protagonist gets jealous of this. The protagonist finally does something horrible to get the sister out of the way, and the adult co-performer gets his revenge years later. This one is a mind bender! Minimal dialogue. Some disturbing things alluded to in regards to the relationship between the little girls and their co-performer. It is a bit slow, but I like it.

Movie: Blade (1998)

Watched on: Blu-Ray

The movie that set off the superhero movie boom that is still going on to this day. This movie is still great. Really cool and stylish, with awesome cinematography and fun action scenes. There is a lot of homages to Asian culture in this as well. I feel like this movie was The Matrix before the Matrix came out. The vampires in this movie are pretty menacing to normal human beings, not to Blade, though. The different creatures (like Pearl) look amazing, and that certain vampire death scene is awesome. Blade has one of the best introductory scenes in cinema history, that's for sure! It is just great to see Wesley Snipes strut his stuff in fight scenes. It's too bad the MCU movies aren't cool like this one!

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
1. No One Gets Out Alive 3/5
2. The Final Girls 5/5
3. The Changeling 2/5
4. Slice 1/5
5. Halloween 1978 - Rewatch 4/5
6. Halloween 2018 3/5
7. SuperDeep 3/5
8. The Thing 2011 4/5
9. The Night Eats the World 4/5
10. Cam 4.5/5
11. Coherence - Rewatch 5/5
12. Day of the Dead 2/5
13. Post Mortem 3.5/5
14. Ditched 1/5

neNGN5h.jpg

15. Candyman
Wasn't really sure what to think of this one. It's 'what if an urban legend was real' plot, but the urban legend itself just feels like loosely connected ideas. Like he is called Candyman because he was covered in honey when he was beaten, okay sure I guess. That also means bees are associated with him, but they don't really do anything other then be associated with him. And he kills people with a hook because his hand was cut off. Sure I guess. I don't know, I feel like I was missing something that made this a classic to a lot of people. It was okay but I probably won't remember it much. 3/5

V16S4M4.jpg

16. Super Z
Utter irredemable garbage. Like watching a youtube poop combined with those weird, cringy, russian, seemingly algorithm generated skits aimed at kids. The zombies have weird minion like voices and are perverts obsessed with dick jokes and fucking. Like this is what I expect a 12 year old boy to write and think is the pinnacle of comedy. Easily one of the worst films I have ever seen. Maybe the worst. 0/5

hqW5Qyh.jpg

17. Spiral: From the book of Saw
Having seen all the others I felt obligated to see this as well. None of the characters were likeable, the traps were barely shown, and it was all in just kind of nothing. Like eating a piece of white bread with nothing on it, not even butter. 2/5

ljpsIWD.jpg

18. Werewolves Within
I didn't realize that this was in association with Ubisoft and there Werewolves Within game. Does nothing revolutionary but I thought the jokes landed well, and the characters were interesting, even if they were a bit one note. Would watch again. 3.5/5

iR1cXI2.png

19. Child's Play 2019
This feels like a corporate CEO deciding what people like about the chucky franchise without realizing how out of touch they are. The entire plot boils down to an AI being taught to be evil by mistake, not that he is inherently evil. And its literally because a disgruntled employee sick of his bad work conditions decided to turn off the safety features in the doll. Aubrey Plaza was great as usual though. It's not unwatchable, it has some fun moments, but it doesn't really need to exist. 3/5

eO9Qbch.png

20. Meander
A women gets kidnapped by a serial killer and wakes up in a strange series of tubes. She has to progress through a series of traps with a countdown timer constantly ticking down to her demise. It's a classic escape premise. Has some fun traps, and has a decent enough mystery about what is going on. Felt like the ending tried a little to hard to be smart though. 3/5

puG18oR.png

21. The Similars

A Mexican film that is essentially a long format Twilight Zone episode. It has some incredible styling to make it look like an old episode. And while the plot is utterly ridiculous, if you were in that situation it would be scary. A little slow in the start but well worth the watch. 3.5/5

kDz5h7k.jpg

22. The Purge
So I have seen the 2nd and 3rd movies in the franchise, and while I techincally had not seen this I sort of have. Over the years between seeing parts as it aired on TV, and watching video essays about the series I have basically seen everything, just not in order. It was okay. I wish they had leaned more into the people in masks stalking around the house as they were actually creepy, but as soon as they broke in it basically became an action film. 2.5/5

DYK0xRt.png

23. The Amusement Park
Okay so this is a weird one. It's Romero's lost film. Commissed by the Lutheran Society of Western Pennsylvania as a PSA about how we abuse and negelect the elderly, both intentionally and unintentionally. Made in 73, premiered at a film fest in 75, and then was shelved and lost until someone found a 16mm reel in 2017. It has since been remastered into 4k and is now a Shudder exclusive. It is a physcological thriller but the horror comes from what we really do as a society, which makes it hard to actually qualify as a horror movie. It starts out a little on the nose, but as it progresses it gets more and more surreal as the main character gets more and more beat up and confused. I can't stop thinking about it. I encourge anyone with a Shudder subscription to give it a go. It's only 53 minutes. 4/5

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot to mention in my Don't Torture a Duckling review, my Black Leather Glove streak....is over.

The-Undertaker-21-0.jpg

Someone did get mud on their hands in a similar manner but I don't think that counts. This concludes my important news bulletin.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
(31+4) -- Zombie

(first watch)
I enjoyed this one after a slow start.

But I'll start by conveying that, of all the movies this month, this was the first one to make my mother's soap operas pop into my head. An early scene between a scientist and a very upset woman was just sooooooooooo melodramatic and drawn out, almost like they have to fill an hour a day with this stuff. Take from that what you will, it was only the one scene.

This was also the first movie this month that had me thinking like ishouldbuyaboatcat.jpg, you know, for a couple of reasons.

The shark scene was absolutely incredible. Holy shit.

The score is cool.

The zombie and gore effects are amazing. This movie is very gory in general, and the zombies are presented and introduced in various creative ways. The ending is great. Overall, this movie is lots of fun, would recommend.

(31+3) -- Beetlejuice

(rewatch)
Another annual watch. This film is good looking, delightful, imaginitive, hilarious. Danny Elfman's score is impeccable. Michael Keaton and Catherine O'Hara especially just kill it, and they aren't main characters. O'Hara in particular had my wife and I laughing our asses off in her first scene. This movie's great, and a classic, if you haven't seen it, wtf watch it.

1 -- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
2 -- Dead & Buried
3 -- Prince of Darkness
4 -- Re-Animator
5 -- Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
6 -- Black Sunday
7 -- Night of the Demons
8 -- Cronos
9 -- Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
10 -- House (1977)
11 -- House (1985)
12 -- The New York Ripper
13 -- The Evil Dead
14 -- Candyman (1992)
15 -- Hellraiser
16 -- Haunt (2019)
17 -- Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker
18 -- Nosferatu (1922)
19 -- Halloween (2018)
20 -- Omen III: The Final Conflict
21 -- Suspiria (1977)
22 -- The Brood
23 -- Inferno
24 -- Candyman (2021)
25 -- The Addams Family
26 -- Halloween Kills
27 -- Dressed to Kill
28 -- Evil Dead
29 -- Viy
30 -- Sleepy Hollow
31 -- Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
#40 - Waxwork (1988)

Waxwork-Pic-2.jpg

Waxwork is one of the most underrated horrors from the late 80s, and a lot of it has to do with its good pacing, and effects that standout from the other low-budget horror entries. My favorite is the vampire sequence where the unrated cut is just drenched in blood.

#41 - Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

images

Kruger looks so great in this, and the tension doesn't seem to let up at all throughout. I had a huge crush on Heather Langenkamp in this movie, and I love the idea behind it. Though I think it gets a little too convoluted in places, it's 3rd in my NOES list behind parts 1 and 3.

#42 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

(Can't post another picture for some reason)

I decided to see if the sequels were indeed better than the travesty called Halloween Kills, and so I started with this one. If anything, this movie shows what was so great about the better entries into the series: sometimes less is more. There's even a mob going after Myers in this one, and he doesn't just show up at random places to kill people. There is actually a method to his killings, and he stays hidden until the moment calls for him to appear. Yes it's cliched and short, but it's not full of cringey dialogue and idiotic characters. So far, it's 1/1 on sequels better than HK.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #39 – The Wretched

MgaTGUr.jpg

The Wretched is a skinwalking shapeshifting monster from the deep woods that goes on a bodysnatching spree when accidentally brought into the midst of a lakeside tourist town one summer, hidden in the skin of a dead deer. Only Ben, a teenage boy with a broken arm and many troubles, can save the day.

It's an ok film, I suppose, a bit like Disturbia, but with a fairytale monster instead of a psychopath living next door. And with worse actors. It would have been better if more time have been spent exploring the mythology of the creature and less time on the crappy teen romance, but you get what you pay for I guess. Also I think some of the creature-inside-a-human effects were meant to be scary, but they were far too close to Edgar from Men In Black for that to work.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
24. Arachnophobia (1990)

• Rating: 7 doomed wine cellars out of 10

• Synopsis: "A species of South American killer spider hitches a lift to the U.S. in a coffin and starts to breed and kill."

lHjpwv1Yv2RcGcTQb4Lc1cKw1y9.jpg

pTmDe27.gif

This movie is great fun! Well, except if you're afraid of spiders... then I guess it would be a very upsetting watch!

They're really playing on the ways most people would be startled by insects and spiders. The protagonist being an arachnophobe is a nice touch. I really like how it all unfolds, watching a small city being slowly overrun by killer spiders is very entertaining. All the deaths are fun, the characters are likable enough, and the last 30 minutes is just great. That final "showdown" is so cool to watch.

Recommended, this movie is a fun time.

6iVFAAg.gif

---

Other movies I watched this month:

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
99. Happy Death Day 2 U 2019

A masterclass in escalation and how to not get... stuck in the sequel loop.

This one is as brilliant as it is different than Happy Death Day

5 outta 5

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

DonAntti

Mar 11, 2019
Finland
1. Fright Night 2011 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
2. Leprechaun Returns 2018 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
3. Ready or Not 2019 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
4. Insidious Chapter 3 2015 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
5. The Final Girls 2015 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
6. Apocalypse Domani 1980 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
7. His House 2020 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
8. Day Of The Dead: Bloodline 2018 (First watch) Rating: 1/10
9. No One Gets Out Alive 2021 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
10. Willy's Wonderland 2021 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
11. The Babysitter 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
12. The Babysitter: Killer Queen 2020 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
13. The Addams Family 1991 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
14. The Addams Family Values 1993 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
15. The Omen 1976 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
16. Muppets Haunted Mansion 2021 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
17. Frankenweenie 2012 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
18. Trauma 1993 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
19. Don't Torture A Duckling 1972 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
20. Terrified 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
21. Wild Beasts 1984 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
22. Grizzly 1976 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
23. Day Of The Animals 1977 (First watch) Rating: 4/10

MV5BMTg4MDAyNjA4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDE4NDc0MTI@._V1_.jpg

24. The Void 2016 (First watch)

- A police officer brings a patient to an understaffed hospital where a fast spiral to Lovecraftian madness occurs. The acting and the characters are good, but the true star of this movie is the special effects. The effects are absolutely great. The movie was also really well-paced and the story had some nice surprising reveals. Overall a really good watch.

Rating: 8/10

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Horror Express (1973)
  2. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
  3. The Ghoul (1933)
  4. Dagon (2001)
  5. Dead of Night (1945)
  6. Sea Fever (2019)
  7. Portrait of Jennie (1948)
  8. Deathwatch (2002)
  9. Lemora - A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
  10. Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)
  11. All Souls Day: Dia de los Muertos (2005)
  12. Razorback (1984)
  13. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
  14. The Invisible Man (1933)
  15. The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)
  16. Kwaidan (1965)
  17. The Black Cat (1934)
  18. Lifeforce (1985)
  19. Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  20. Sputnik (2020)
  21. Werewolves Within (2021)
  22. The Craft (1996)
  23. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
  24. Dog Soldiers (2002)
  25. The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  26. The Host (2006)
  27. The Fog (1980)
  28. The Trollenberg Terror (1958)
  29. Return of Daimajin (1966)
  30. Masque of the Red Death (1964)
  31. The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)
  32. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
  33. Dr Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
  34. Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth (1992)
  35. The Mummy (1932)
  36. Twins of Evil (1971)
  37. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
  38. The Innocents (1961)
The_Innocents_%281961_film%29.jpg

A measured, deliberate descent into dread, I find this film is quite affecting still, and I've seen it a fair few times before. I love Freddie Francis' cinematography, and the sound design is excellent. It's a classic of psychological horror for a reason, despite that the ghosts are mostly seen in daylight, and every time I watch it I can't help but feel a real and visceral loathing for Deborah Kerr's Miss Giddens. The spirits of the dead aren't the real monsters here...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I love Freddie Francis' cinematography
I have no interest in physical media at this point, but I've been contemplating picking up the Criterion disc for this. The movie looks so damn good.

I watched Bly Manor earlier this month (it was fine) and it's definitely got me itching to watch this one again.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
29. Vamp (1989, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
Thanks to Violence Jack for this recommendation, and I forgot that they also reviewed my previous movie. This is a fantastic gem from that I had no idea ever existed. It is full of campy humor that rides that razor's edge where too style, polish, and intention becomes rote and cringeworthy. I never really knew where things were going but I loved the ride. Great vampire effects, interesting banter, and neat creature effects will please any fan of 80s horror/comedy.

Previous movies:
1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5
3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
4. Return of the Living Dead (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
5. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
6. The Wicker Man (1973, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4/5
7. Candyman (1992, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
8. Suspiria (1977, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
9. Ghoulies (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 1/5
10. Friday the 13th Part 4 (1984, streaming on Paramount+) 3/5
11. Friday the 13th Part 5 (1985, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
12. Friday the 13th Part 6 (1986, streaming on Peacock) 3/5
13. Friday the 13th Part 7 (1988, streaming on Peacock) 2/5
14. Friday the 13th Part 8 (1989, streaming on Peacock) 1.5/5
15. Friday the 13th (2009, streaming on HBO Max) 3.5/5
16. Videodrome (1983, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
17. Dead Ringers (1988, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
18. Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4.5/5
19. Sleepaway Camp 3 (1989, streaming on Pluto TV) 3/5
20. Dolls (1986, streaming on Amazon Prime) 3/5
21. Madhouse (1981, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
22. The People Under the Stairs (1991, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
23. Black Christmas (2019, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
24. Curse of Chucky (2013, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
25. Cult of Chucky (2017, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
26. Stagefright (1987, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
27. Beyond Re-Animator (2003, streaming on Tubi) 2/5
28. The Church (1989, streaming on Tubi) 5/5

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Child's Play (1988)

childs-play-3d29f3dadc7a1e72754196626855ec53.jpg

A working class mother and son are terrorized by the symbol of empty consumerism come to life

Jokes aside, Child's Play is a fun concept, told effectively enough to be entertaining, although it sort of loses steam for awhile with fake out after fake out after fake out.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#25. The Hills Have Eyes (1977) - Another horror classic I hadn't seen and it's pretty good. It was possibly a little tamer than I was expected but it effectively tells its fairly simple story and the abrupt ending stays with you. The question of how loose are human morals when we're faced with a danger has certainly been explored a lot in film but perhaps it was a bit more radical back when this film came out.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
18. Island of Lost Souls (1932)

islandoflostsouls-lc-trio.jpg

Bela Lugosi's delivery of "To The House...Of PAAAAIIIIINNN!!!" Will be living rent-free in my head for a while.

Incredibly solid and visually dynamic film for an early "talky" from 1932, excellent cinematography and fast-paced editing compared to the clunky 'Dracula' from the year prior. A lot of the really excellent cinematography and editing at the peak of the silent era was lost early on during the advent of sound films due to concerns of too much background noise while moving the camera or equipment around, but this one handles it admirably with nice, wide shots of Moreau's compound in the jungle and crane shots of the "manimals" surrounding Parker and Moreau, especially during the climax.

Charles Laughton delivers an admirably laid-back, bristling creepiness to his performance as Moreau, matter-of-fact about his brutalization of animals in the name of "science". The scene where Parker confronts Moreau about Lota the panther girl and Moreau matter-of-factly tells him he wanted to see them have sex was a highlight, material Hollywood wouldn't even dare to attempt just a year or two later.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 25 | Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, 1986

IM6yhWh.gif

Grimy and misanthropic. Feels like a premonition of modern "serial killer culture" in a way - a good watch if you want to feel guilty and voyeuristic. It's pretty sparse with its violence, but I think as a film its better for it. The opening sequence, with dead bodies and garbled audio, really sticks with you. I'd almost call the content tame by modern standards, but I'm probably just desensitized. I'm sure there's some ethos you can read into it about, I dunno, the coldness of urban life, or the layers of the audience watching the guys watch their home movies... but it mostly just feels like an exploitation film.

Surprisingly, also pretty funny? The comedy is pitch black, but you can't help but laugh at stuff like Henry and Otis chowing down on some fries after a double murder, or the whole exchange with the TV salesman. Gives the whole thing kind of a weird taste, but I liked it well enough.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
20. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) - This was pretty good, surprisingly. There were a lot of fun sections and I feel it stands out from the first film, especially with switching up the gender of the main character. There was also a lot of gay subtext in the this film, but I can't tell if it's intentional. I feel like Jesse, the main character, was struggling with his sexuality and that aspect added a lot to this film for me. It's nowhere near as good as the first film, and Dream Warriors is in my opinion the strongest of the sequels that spawned from Nightmare, but I would definitely rank this up there with it. 3.5/5
21. Freddy vs. Jason (2003) - This had some fun kills and gore in it, but honestly it felt like early 2000s trash to me. The concept is fun, and they definitely went with a more humorous approach to fit the absurdity of it, but overall I wasn't that impressed. 1.5/5
22. 28 Day Later ... (2002) - I know this film is credited as reigniting zombie movies into the mainstream again, but as someone who is and has been fatigued on zombies for a while this was just good to me, not great. I enjoyed how character driven it was and found the main cast quite likable. Personally, in zombie or even post apocalyptic movies I prefer a focus on how humans would act after society falls apart and less about what actually caused the fall, and I feel like this movie checked off the right box there. I guess the issue for me is I've interacted with so much media that actually does this now that I wasn't as impressed by this as I would've been if I saw it when it came out. It was definitely worth a watch though. 3.5/5
23. Daniel Isn't Real (2019) - This is the highlight of my marathon so far. It's more psychological horror than most stuff I've watched so far and it has what I feel is some cosmic horror as well. Luke's imaginary friend, Daniel, comes back after years of being gone after Luke's mother's schizophrenia worsens. Daniel tries to encourage Luke to do dark, wrong things, which Luke is hesitant to. After his resistance, Daniel decides to take things into his own hands and things sprial out of control from there. This had a strong cast, was really well shot, and a fascinating story from start to finish. 4.5/5
24. Curse of Aurore (2020) - This was just utter found footage trash, I don't have more to add than that. 1/5

Other films I've watched so far
1. No One Gets Out Alive (2021) - This was okay. I didn't hate it, and I liked the main character but the ending section, where most of the actual horror elements take place, fell pretty flat to me due to the monster looking very not scary. 2.5/5
2. Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) - A rewatch for me, but a film that is truly a million times better than its predecessor. It's a got a great atmosphere and a fun, creepy story. I'm a true sucker for creepy little girls in horror and Lulu Wilson does a great job at being truly creepy in this. As a side note, Mike Flanagan really likes to reuse actors, which isn't a bad thing, I just never realized how many actors in this were in his other films/series. 4/5
3. Mama (2013) - Another rewatch. I think the CGI is this movie's weakest part due to how fake the titular character actually looks. It's still pretty solid overall but the fondness I had for it the first time I saw it has faded a bit on a second watch. 3/5
4. Till Death (2021) - I wouldn't really consider this a true horror film (to me, at least), but it was a pretty solid film overall. It definitely kept me entertained, but if I had to vote on which version of this premise I prefer, I would easily give it to Gerald's Game. That film felt more like horror film, while this definitely leaned more into the thriller aspects even if the idea is horrifying in itself. 3/5
5. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021) - This was okay overall. I enjoyed the cast and I felt like the movie was shot well. I love teen slashers and it definitely felt like a type of homage to the genre. I felt the twist with the killer was slightly predictable though, and it didn't impress me that much. It was still an enjoyable watch. 3.5/5
6. The Manor (2021) - This had a very interesting premise, and I felt it had a unique protagonist given the fact we don't see many main characters in horror that are in their 70s. For a Blumhouse Amazon collaboration film, this was pretty good. It wasn't very scary but it kept me engaged. 3/5
7. Friday the 13th IV: The Final Chapter (1984) - Definitely the best Friday the 13th film. This had some fun kills of your favorite typical teenage horror stereotypes. I had no idea Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover were in this so that was a fun surprise to see. I also enjoyed how they beat Jason in this, and I assume the implication was that Tommy would become the new Jason with that last shot (though I'm pretty sure they didn't go that route). This would've been a decent end to the series if they had actually ended it here. 3/5
8. Evil Dead II (1987) - This was a rewatch for me, but it had been a few years since I'd seen this (though I've watched it many many times). It's still my favorite Evil Dead film. I love the mix of horror and camp. The whole film feels completely over the top, and Bruce Campbell's performance really makes this movie for me. 4/5
9. No One Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (2020) - This movie felt like The Hills Have Eyes but in the woods. It follows a lot of horror tropes (and a character in the movie is constantly pointing this out) and has a cast of characters that feel two dimensional for the most part. I will say it was shot really well and a few of the kills were quite fun, but otherwise it wasn't very impressive. 2.5/5
10. Evil Dead (2013) - After watching Evil Dead II yesterday, I decided to rewatch this remake (or re-imagining? this shares very few things from the original series of films). The last time I saw this was when it was out in theaters, and I still quite like this film for what it is. It's very very gory, which I remembered, and is something I enjoy about it. I also liked the premise for why the group heads to the cabin, and I appreciated that this wasn't just a simple remake but was truly its own thing. I still prefer the original series for how campy it was, and Bruce Campbell kills it as Ash, but this is great in its own way. 4/5
11. House of Wax (2005) - I haven't seen this film in a very long time, probably close to when it originally came out. I remember thinking this was trash, probably in part because Paris Hilton is in it, but after this rewatch I have a new appreciation for this film. Paris is honestly fine in this -- though she's barely in it -- plus her death is one of the best in the film. I also really feel like it was a fun, unique take on a slasher, and the setting itself of the wax museum/town was great, plus the finale is pretty awesome. The entire museum being made of wax makes no real sense to me, but the whole thing melting away was a cool idea.. 3/5
12. The Shining (1980) - I haven't watched this is a long while. This movie has great atmosphere, an excellent setting, and beautiful cinematography. It's way more slow moving than I remember, but I wouldn't consider that a bad thing. The pace really aids the atmosphere and makes the ending feel more explosive and intense. A true horror classic. 4.5/5
13. An American Haunting (2005) - I don't have much to say about this, other than I was shocked Sissy Spacek and Donald Sutherland were in this. I didn't think this was very good, though a possession/haunting story that takes place in the 1800s is an idea that I think had potential. It just wasn't very scary. 2/5
14. The Host (2006) - I usually don't love monster movies, but I did quite like this. It felt more like an action movie than a horror movie to me, but it was really engaging, emotional at times, and filled with excellent performances all around. 4/5
15. Queen of Spades (2021) - This was just trash. It was about some sort of Bloody Mary type ritual that a bunch of teens decide to try that gets almost all of them killed. It wasn't scary, or even that entertaining. 1/5
16. The Possession (2012) - I've always enjoyed possession films and I actually quite like this one even though I know it wasn't that well received at release. The whole idea of the dybbuk being literally inside Em physically is really creepy to me. I think this is overall a very competent horror film with some interesting twists on the standard possession story fare. 3.5/5
17. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - I absolutely love this film. Freddy is my favorite slasher villain and his personality and kills are always a lot of fun. Even though I think the Dream Warriors is the best in the series for it's insanely creative, campy kills, the first film is truly the strongest outing when you look at it as a whole. It has some fun kills, the iconic bloody bed kill in particular is one of my favorites in the series, and an excellent quasi final girl in Nancy. I've always enjoyed this series for how it plays with reality and makes you question if what you're watching is real or in a dream. 4.5/5
18. From Within (2008) - I thought I had never seen this before but I realized a third of the way through I had. This wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. Essentially some kid starts a ritual by killing himself that makes people kill themselves in like a chain suicide type thing. I do kind of like how bleak the ending was; that was a great, unexpected twist. Definitely wasn't worth watching again though. 2.5/5
19. The Sacrament (2013) - This was pretty good, though not truly scary to me. Cults really creep me out so that aspect interested me, and the ending was pretty bleak. Overall, I felt this was a solid film, though maybe not the kind of horror I was expecting it to be. 3.5/5

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Lights Out (2016)

MV5BMTg1OTkxNDgyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjEzNTc0ODE@._V1_.jpg

Lights Out is probably the best horror film I've watched during this year's Halloween marathon so far. It was legit chilling to watch. Very effective scares and every time the demon lady thing appeared on screen it sent chills down my spine. The plot was a little hokey but an effective wrapper around the core horror concept. Given, I still don't know what the hell that thing is. A ghost? A demon? Some kind of physical human hybrid creature thing? I dunno but it creeped me out real nice.

5 out of 5 spookies

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
25. Night Teeth (2021)

• Rating: 6 blood cocktails drank on white upholstery out of 10

• Synopsis: "A college student moonlighting as a chauffeur picks up two mysterious women for a night of party-hopping across LA. But when he uncovers their bloodthirsty intentions - and their dangerous, shadowy underworld - he must fight to stay alive."

4niEFGAUEz3GUqwk9Y2y4aAERhE.jpg

To me this thing is a real mixed bag.

The premise is interesting (if not very original), but the writing is very, very clumsy. There are some very awkward exposition dumps, and the main character's arc is dangerously flirting with a lot of dumb tropes found in YA fiction for young men, which I don't find interesting at all.

On the other hand, this is a really gorgeous movie. LA by night is beautiful here, especially in HDR. And it was entertaining enough overall. Actually, I think I liked it more than There's Someone Inside Your House, the other Netflix Halloween offering I watched this month.

I was somewhat excited to watch this because I thought Megan Fox and Sidney Sweeney were in it. And they are, but both as a quick cameo with only a few minutes of screen time. So this was kind of disappointing.

All in all, it's good if you want to watch a reasonably entertaining movie that is visually interesting (HDR is a must here). Just don't expect to be blown away by anything.

---

Other movies I watched this month:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
22. Tumbbad (2018) 3/5

This was an atmospheric Indian horror fantasy about the perils of greed. It invokes folklore, mythology, and Indiana Jones-like adventure tales in a story about how one man keeps getting drawn back to the village of his youth because of tales of legendary riches hidden in the mansion of the local governor. I haven't watched much Indian cinema so it's unique in that sense, but there was something about the pacing that I didn't really connect with--I'm not sure if it's from the movie itself or if there are just cinematic cultural differences that I'm not used to. Solid film with a rich setting, but probably not something I'll come back to.

23. Sputnik (2020) 3.5/5

This was a nice sci-fi horror movie about a Russian cosmonaut who lands back on Earth with a stowaway life form. It's not quite an Alien derivative like so many other movies, and it had enough to carve out its own little niche and keep me entertained. It's a solid film all around with regards to acting and directing and effects. Aside from the language, I would've believed this could've been an American film with 10 times the budget. It's a great watch if you're looking to scratch that outer space itch.

24. Possessor (2020) 4/5

There are a lot of incredible ideas in this science fiction body horror movie, which features Andrea Riseborough as an assassin who gets uploaded into other people's bodies in order to carry out her hits. She and Christopher Abbott both have really tough roles as people who aren't totally in control of their own minds and bodies, but they both pull it off very convincingly. This film is very visceral--in addition to gore and sex and body dysphoria, the the characters' dueling psyches are represented by surreal visions that are both disorienting and nauseating. But if you can deal with all of that, this film will leave you with some indelible images.

25. Hunter Hunter (2020) 4/5

I had heard some good things about this movie but I knew nothing about it. For most of the movie, it seems like this is about a family living in the wilderness fighting off a giant wolf. But then at the end, this just takes a hard turn and accelerates to the finish line. All I can say is you need a strong stomach to get through the end. Unforgettable.

1. Candyman (2021) 3.5/5
2. The Empty Man (2020) 3/5
3. The Lost Boys (1987) 2/5
4. His House (2020) 3.5/5
5. 28 Days Later (2002) [rewatch] 4/5
6. 28 Weeks Later (2007) 3.5/5
7. Shadow in the Cloud (2020) 1/5
8. Re-Animator (1985) 4/5
9. Kwaidan (1964) 4/5
10. Coven of Sisters (2020) 4.5/5
11. Don't Breathe 2 (2021) 1.5/5
12. Audition (1999) 4/5
13. The Final Girls (2015) 3.5/5
14. John Dies at the End (2012) 3/5
15. Life (2017) 2.5/5
16. The Endless (2017) 3.5/5
17. Koko-Di Koko-Da (2019) 3.5/5
18. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) 4/5
19. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) 3/5
20. The Vanishing (1988) 4/5
21. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) 4/5

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
#29. The Gingerdead Man (2005) - 0.5 out of 5
tXxaFP0.jpg

They made four of these fucking movies....how???

#30. The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) - 2 out of 5
X798htL.jpg

This is my second Roger Corman movie during the marathon. I only remember bits and parts of the musical version and I figured I'd watch them both back to back. It's an okay film with some funny dialog. It was interesting to see a young Dick Miller and Jack Nicholson. Nicholson plays a dental patient that seems to have a fetish for pain, and the more he goes on with his performance, the more I can see this being a precursor to him being The Joker. It's a very eccentric performance and not what I was expecting.

#31. The Little Shop of Horrors (1986) - 4 out of 5
jiqFHTK.gif

This is more like it! A fun movie, with fantastic musical numbers. I don't think I've seen this in maybe two and a half decades, and it really holds up well. There are a few things I wasn't expecting:
  • This is a Frank Oz movie (His movie What About Bob? is a guilty pleasure that I put on sometimes as background noise)
  • Both Tisha Campbell and Tichina Arnold pre-Martin era singing together on-screen throughout the movie
  • Bill Murray having a cameo playing the Jack Nicholson role from the original, but with a different outcome
  • Not being scared of The Dentist scene this time around
nwAC9z6.gif

I say that because like most people, the scene made me nervous about going to a dentist for many years and have had some bad experiences with dentists in these past two decades. So this part of the film I was dreading to watch, but Steve Martin's comedic chops had me smiling all the way through. I read Chris Evans was interested in The Dentist role in the supposed remake, and I can totally see it, but the remake plans got shelved. Boooo!

After the finale, I watched the alternative non-theatrical ending (aka the Not So Happy Ending cut) on Youtube that was intended to be the original ending. I like both endings, though I'm learning more towards the darker conclusion. I think the most disappointing part is that they obviously spent a lot of time and money doing that entire scene from the original cut and it probably rarely gets viewed.

#32. Cooties (2014) - 3.5 out of 5
T7wC75t.jpg

Wow, I wasn't expecting all those comedic actors to be in this. The origin story of Patriot was laughable and I was really hoping for something bad to happen to that little fucker. It's simple story and not much happens, but I think the casting choices made this more entertaining to watch from start to finish.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
30962-the-incredible-shrinking-man-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
500471-the-odd-family-zombie-on-sale-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
43789-the-funhouse-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

#21 - The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Classic 50s Universal scifi, starts out somewhat silly but devolves into something more existential. On a technical level, it's a triumph, the effects (both practical and digital) are for the most part absolutely stunning. 7/10

#22 - Zombie for Sale
(2020)
Korean zomcom with a surprising amount of cabbage and ketchup. For the first hour it's all wacky slapstick and wholesome zombie stuff. After that regular scheduled programming in regards to Korean zombie stuff. Good stuff. Super misleading trailer btw. 6/10

#23 - The Funhouse
(1981)
Aw yeah baby it is Hooper time! Join our innocent protagonist girl on her journey to this creepy carnival that oozes maniacal atmosphere where she and her friends decide to stay in the night in a trashy horror ride called The Funhouse only to witness a murder and get chased by a deformed killer! Woo! 6/10

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
1. Candyman (2021) 2/5
2. Lights out (2016) 4/5
3. SAW (2004) 3/5
4. Conjuring (2013) 4/5
5. Annabelle (2014) 5/5
6. Saw II (2005) 2/5
7. Saw III (2006): 4/5
8. Halloween (1978) 4.5/5
9. Haunt (2019) 3/5
10. Scream (1996) 5/5
11. Malignant (2021) 4/5
12 Saw IV (2007) 3/5
13. Conjuring 2 (2016) 4.5/5
14. Halloween (2018) 5/5
15. IT (2017) 5/5
16. Hallowewn Kills (2018) 1/5
17. IT 2 (2019) 3/5
18. Midsommar (2019) 4/5
19. Cabin in the woods (2012) 3/5[
20. Get Out 5/5
21. Annabelle Creation (2017) 4/5
22. Saw 5 3/5 (2008)
23. the Purge (2013) 5/5
24. Saw 6 (2009) 4/5

24. Saw 6 (2009);

Bizarre how they pushed out 6 Saw movies in 6 years. It does watch like a tv series though. The kills are nice but the new Jigsaw doesn't do it for me just like the main character in this movie. Luckily they both seem to die.

4/5

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Revenge_2017_poster.png

57 - Revenge 4/5

Rape revenge moveis aren't usually my jam, but this really grew on me as it went on, as it keeps escalating in tension and especially gore (and blood, damn there's a lot of blood). Notable for being directed by a lady (the first rape revenge to be directed by a woman I believe), it's really well shot and it had a handful of amazing shots. Great soundtrack and performances round up a very enjoyable romp, the only slight against it in my opinion is that it's about 10 minutes too long, which could have easily been shaved off in various scenes throughout that just linger for no reason.

List

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I've been watching way less horror films than I initially planned for this October, but I just changed jobs and things got in the way. That said, looking at my Letterboxd this is what I watched so far (I log into my Letterboxd every horror and tangientially horror thing I watch - like horror comedies, horror animations, sci-fi with horror elements, etc):

1 - Candyman (4/5)
2 - The Guilty (2/5)
3 - Kate (3,5/5)
4 - Old (3,5/5)
5 - VHS 94 (3/5)
6 - Midnight Mass (4,5/5)
7 - Curse of Chucky (4/5) rewatch
8 - Cult of Chucky (3,5/5) rewatch
9 - Halloween 1978 (5/5) rewatch
10 - Halloween II (4/5) rewatch
11 - Halloween 4 (4/5) rewatch
12 - Halloween 2018 (4/5) rewatch
13 - Halloween Kills (4/5)
14 - You - Season 1 (4/5)
15 - You - Season 2 (3,5/5)
16 - Squid Game (4/5)
17 - Dune (4/5)

Now I'm rewatching for the fourth time The Haunting of Hil House. Seriously, this thing has become my favorite horror thing from the moment I first watched it on release. I find it incredible, a masterpiece. And I have to actively fight the urge to rewatch it constantly so I can watch new things.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
1. Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005) - ½/5
2. Devour (2005) - ½/5
3. House Of Wax (2005) - 3/5
4. Don't Breathe 2 (2021) - 1/5
5. Cyst (2020) - 2/5
6. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) - 4/5
7. Werewolves Within (2021) - 3½/5
8. Coven Of Sisters (2020) - 4½/5
9. The Blair Witch Project (1999) - 2½/5
10. Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000) - ½/5
11. Blair Witch (2016) - 3½/5
12. Unsane (2018) - 4/5
13. Mirrors (2008) - 2½/5
14. Mimic (1997) - 3/5
15. Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (2020) - 2½/5
16. The Boy (2016) - 2/5
17. Dreadout (2019) - 1/5
18. The Block Island Sound (2020) - 3½/5

19. Halloween (1978) - 4½/5
j3YhcJ9.jpg

While basic, every scenes pretty much become the staple of slasher horror movies for years to come. I appreciate how lean it is and how it escalate Micheal Myers from being a creeper to an unstoppable monster later.

20. Halloween Kills (2021) - 2/5
R2GFUBg.jpg

Ooof, what a huge misstep. This is a straight follow up to the reboot sequel and takes place on the exact same night. While I understood what they were going for ---- how the town react to the return of Micheal Myers, the script is all over the place. Lots of moment where people are being super dumb for no apparent reason, bizarre characterization ----- the bat guy and the gay couple calling each other Little John-Big John made me go "??????", and lots of meaningless monologues that they try to paint as "deep". Worst of all, there's no tension at all despite having the highest body count in the franchise.

21. What Keeps You Alive (2018) - 3½/5
23ykl8W.jpg

Watching it blind, and damn this movie is visceral and intense. The premise isn't exactly original ----- 2 lovers go into the woods and then get hunted, but it's well executed that you feel the dread that the main character is experiencing. The cinematography is great too with lots of beautiful shots. Highly recommended.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
100. Kolobos 1999

Future WWE wrestler Amy Weber stars in a weirdly hypnotic bad slasher that didn't know how it wanted to end

Some fun gore though

2 outta 5

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
26. Legion

Legion_poster.jpg

Action horror about God giving up on humanity and sending angels to murder them and new Jesus. That's definitely an interesting premise because the angels have all the cues that a demon possessed person would have but you're extra screwed because God's the one coming for you. Also there's are a ton of recognizable faces in this movie that I didn't know until their later work (Arrow, Orville/John Wick, MCU, etc). Gets a little slow in the middle but the overall premise and the take on the angels is interesting enough

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Bonus Film 6) Spiral (2021)

p9EtkVa.jpeg

You're too close to this thing, Zeke!

I haven't seen a Saw film in its entirety since Saw III. I found them pretty tedious in that despite just being vehicles for gory setpieces, they actually attempted to have some kind of ongoing plot, which yearly horror sequels really do not make room for, meaning it was just a mess of convoluted twists and turns. When they defeat Freddy or Jason, they're just back the next film with a fresh cast. The series' overproduced grungy style also wears thin, and when I can't help but picture Jigsaw or the eighty other apprentices spending days drawing blueprints, sourcing parts, and troubleshooting these over the top traps, it's a little distracting.

So this film attempts to reinvigorate the franchise with a new perspective. Unfortunately that perspective is a cowboy cop film constructed out of bits and pieces of other cop films. New partner, I work along, braces with holsters, dammit he gets results, etc. It's one step above parody, and Chris Rock is a hilariously unconvincing loose cannon detective. He also seems to have invested in new chompers at some point, making all his lines muffled like fish wire were pulling the corners of his mouth down the entire film. There are some half hearted attempts to be topical about corrupt police, but when your film is basically the McBain spoof scenes from The Simpsons ("Bye, book!"), any message is thoroughly sunk.

Coupled with a dumb as fuck, predictable central story (I called the killer's identity in the first ten minutes, and I doubt I was alone), and rote displays of extreme yet somehow boring gore every once in a while, and you got yourself a total stinker.