kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
October 27

Movie: Silent Hill (2006)

Watched on: DVD

I like this movie! First watched it when it came out in theaters. I know it's not totally accurate to the Silent Hill games, but it's a pretty close adaptation compared to other video game movie adaptations. I like the mood and look of the film. I love the video game soundtrack being used in the movie. The special effects are great, too! This movie sets up something cool, but the sequel dropped the ball hard.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
33. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974, streaming on Tubi) 4.5/5
I knew that this was a classic but just assumed that I would find it boring and tired after all this time. I was wrong. The first half didn't quite allay my fears, but it did enough to keep me engaged even if the characters weren't the most interesting. The first few kills were abrupt and vicious, but I still wasn't fully on board yet. But once the movie got to the back half I was riveted and began to fully appreciate its genius and staying power. There's just something about the matter of fact presentation and unflinching focus on the events as they unfolded that gripped me and wouldn't let me look away. The chase through the woods felt like a nightmarish fever dream that also managed to feel like a real-world fear brought to life. All the chases felt like they could happen, were happening as I watched, in a way to elicited a primal reaction. I felt like I could barely breathe from the dinner scene to end credits. This isn't a perfect movie but it generates terror in a way that every horror fan should experience at least once.

1. Critters (1986, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
2. Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987, streaming on Tubi) 2.5/5
3. The Brood (1979, streaming on HBO Max) 5/5
4. Return of the Living Dead (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
5. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5
6. The Wicker Man (1973, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4/5
7. Candyman (1992, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
8. Suspiria (1977, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
9. Ghoulies (1985, streaming on HBO Max) 1/5
10. Friday the 13th Part 4 (1984, streaming on Paramount+) 3/5
11. Friday the 13th Part 5 (1985, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
12. Friday the 13th Part 6 (1986, streaming on Peacock) 3/5
13. Friday the 13th Part 7 (1988, streaming on Peacock) 2/5
14. Friday the 13th Part 8 (1989, streaming on Peacock) 1.5/5
15. Friday the 13th (2009, streaming on HBO Max) 3.5/5
16. Videodrome (1983, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
17. Dead Ringers (1988, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
18. Sleepaway Camp 2 (1988, streaming on Amazon Prime) 4.5/5
19. Sleepaway Camp 3 (1989, streaming on Pluto TV) 3/5
20. Dolls (1986, streaming on Amazon Prime) 3/5
21. Madhouse (1981, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
22. The People Under the Stairs (1991, streaming on Peacock) 4/5
23. Black Christmas (2019, streaming on HBO Max) 4.5/5
24. Curse of Chucky (2013, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
25. Cult of Chucky (2017, streaming on Peacock) 3.5/5
26. Stagefright (1987, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
27. Beyond Re-Animator (2003, streaming on Tubi) 2/5
28. The Church (1989, streaming on Tubi) 5/5
29. Vamp (1989, streaming on Tubi) 4/5
30. The Changeling (1980, streaming on Tubi) 3.5/5
31. Possessor (2020, streaming on Hulu) 4/5
32. The Hunger (1983, streaming on HBO Max) 2.5/5

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
19. The Empty Man

With apologies to MoreBadass

Unfortunately, it left me empty...man. harharhar. I place it in my mind along with some other "underrated" recent cult horrors like The Blackcoat's Daughter (which I liked fairly well) and Kill List (you can probably throw Noroi in there as well but it's a little older). They each have good ideas, do some aspects well, have their hearts in the right place, but are also a bit rough around the edges. There are parts of The Empty Man I like quite a bit, particularly the opening is fairly well done. Passed that I didn't engage enough with the story or its style of horror. It's a lengthy movie, so not being engaged with its story can really make the experience drag on. I can appreciate that it doesn't go for the low hanging fruit on its scares. I'm sure the movies it gets lopped together with provide those (Slenderman, Bye Bye Man). I just don't think the director has the skill set to execute this ideas to their full potential, although the story of him becoming the director here makes him easy to root for.

5/10

20. Tammy and the T-Rex

It's so hard for a movie to really pull off the intentionally so bad it's good thing. Where it's completely self aware and embraces the full ridiculousness of its premise. Most of the time it results in films like My Name is Bruce which is more annoying or cringe inducing. I was in the mood for something dumb and goofy though, and a movie featuring a younger Denise Richards riding an animatronic T-Rex that contains the brain of her dead ex-boyfriend (Paul Walker), in between sessions of it taking revenge on those who caused his death in the first place was right up my alley. To top it off, this is from the mind of the guy who gave the world Mac and Me. I fully expected a total shit show. What I didn't expect was to be caught off guard with its charm.

There are so many tones here that are thrown into a blender and yet it works? It's hilarious, it's kind of touching, absolutely ridiculous, and a little horny. Terry Kiser from Weekend at Bernie's fame is on some Raul Julia in Street Fighter shit as the mad scientist/villain. They don't have much money here, and it gets by with good intentions.

I had remembered seeing parts of it when I was little, which isn't as surprising when I learned it was originally recut as a children's movie. Of course, watching it in it's full gorey glory is where it's at. If that doesn't sell you, the circumstances of why this was made should. The director had a friend with a fully working animatronic T-Rex that was about to be sold in a matter of weeks. So, why not write a script and use it before that happens? The script was written in a week since he admittedly stole so many ideas from elsewhere, haha. It's like a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror short that became a feature. It's completely 90's as well with the fashion and music. Probably the biggest surprise for me this month and I went ahead and bought the Blu-ray after finishing it.

7/10

21. The Collector (the 1965 one!)

Finally, some good fucking food. I didn't expect for a movie from the man who gave us Ben-hur and Roman Holiday to be so dark and effecting. Especially given that it was released in 1965 during a time of the Hays production code. Movies were pushing the boundaries of it, but it was still in effect. This was a few years after Hitchcock turned heads just by flushing a toilet, and Michael Powell's much celebrated run as a director was ended for having the audacity to make Peeping Tom (although that's a different kind of horror). Yes, The Collector is very tame with today's standards, but being able to view it with the historical context makes it a shocking watch. Cinema was still a few years away from the New Hollywood boom which brought a realistic cynicism to audiences who normally had happy endings forced upon them.

William Wyler's The Collector remains socially relevant to today. It would be hard not to think of an incel with Terrence Stamp's Freddie Clegg. After coming into some money, he kidnaps Miranda and makes her a prisoner in the cellar of his newly bought home. He assures her that he's not going to force himself upon her or be improper because he is a "nice guy". When, in reality, he is a social outcast/unremarkable human being who feels entitled to Miranda, and that in time she would feel the same and fall in love with him.

I'm absolutely blown away with this flick. The camera work and direction being dynamic, but not in a way to be intrusive to the moment; Instead it elevates the scene. There's also something about the 1960's that just pops for me onscreen, with the fashion and style of the time. The color scheme here is gorgeous despite the darkness it's portraying. With the cellar setting in particular, it at times strikes me as gothic psychedelia (pre-hippie movement).

The driving anchor of the film can't be overstated in the performances of Stamp's Freddie and Samantha Eggar who plays Miranda. Most know Stamp as Zod is Superman 2, and I know Eggar from her fantastic work in Cronenberg's The Brood. Their performances are reigned in so as not to be overwrought, which can easily happen in this time period. They are so tuned in though that they can achieve the greatest emotion out of the smallest of movements of their eyes. I would assume many wouldn't want to include this in their October viewings, as it's definitely a thriller or at best a psychological horror experience. For me though, the greatest horror I've experienced this month throughout this marathon has came from Stamp's ability to transform his demeanor from whimsical and receiving to downright cold and menacing. His eyes well pierce through you. The way Eggar's returns such a look with a subtle desperation and panic is just…

Ok, I know I'm going overboard with the hyperbole here, but this was fantastic. If there is one element that isn't quite up to par I'd say it's the music. Maybe on a second viewing I can better appreciate it, but I can't help but imagine what a Bernard Herrmann-like score could do here. There are a few story components that could have been ironed out or utilized better as well...possibly. I'm definitely going to watch it again though. Wyler's original cut was apparently 3 hours in length, including a segment that according to him wasn't crucial to the story but was the best stuff he ever did. Of course, it's not available and will probably join the ranks of hyped up films I'll never get to see like Welles' Ambersons. Oh well, what we got is really good. Don't let me get your expectations too high, but check this out.

9/10

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
107. Don't Breathe 2 2021

What an awful mess of a movie, what made the first so effective stylistically is completely gone here, worse the original is undermined

A generic gun and blades showdown

1 outta 5

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
34. Christine (1983, streaming on Pluto TV) 2/5
How could John Carpenter plus Stephen King result in such a tepid movie? This is just 2 hours of sheer boredom. I didn't even know who the protagonist was supposed to be, and not in an interesting misdirect kind of way. Carpenter has some great tracking shots in here and seeing Christine get slowly demolished and then rebuild is definitely satisfying visually, but it's not enough. A car that kills in a grounded way just isn't that scary, and the overall plot and characters don't inject any excitement either.

DonAntti

Mar 11, 2019
Finland
1. Fright Night 2011 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
2. Leprechaun Returns 2018 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
3. Ready or Not 2019 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
4. Insidious Chapter 3 2015 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
5. The Final Girls 2015 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
6. Apocalypse Domani 1980 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
7. His House 2020 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
8. Day Of The Dead: Bloodline 2018 (First watch) Rating: 1/10
9. No One Gets Out Alive 2021 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
10. Willy's Wonderland 2021 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
11. The Babysitter 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
12. The Babysitter: Killer Queen 2020 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
13. The Addams Family 1991 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
14. The Addams Family Values 1993 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
15. The Omen 1976 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
16. Muppets Haunted Mansion 2021 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
17. Frankenweenie 2012 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
18. Trauma 1993 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
19. Don't Torture A Duckling 1972 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
20. Terrified 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
21. Wild Beasts 1984 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
22. Grizzly 1976 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
23. Day Of The Animals 1977 (First watch) Rating: 4/10
24. The Void 2016 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
25. Splice 2009 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
26. Tale Of Two Sisters 2003 (First watch) Rating: 8/10

71NUeIkJXVL._SL1097_.jpg

27. Train To Busan 2016 (First watch)

- A father and a daughter try to survive a zombie apocalypse in a train. I thought that this movie used the train setting really well. The performances were good, except for Ma Dong-seok. He was great in this. The special effects were also really good. The movie did drag on a little longer than I wish it did. I think I would have liked it a little more if it was around 10-15 minutes shorter. Still overall a good movie and one of the better zombie movies in the last decade or so.

Rating: 8/10

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Dividing the 80 films I watched this month into 4 tiers evenly, this is the ranking I've settled on after some consideration:
(the tiers themselves are just sorted alphabetically)
ORLabEw.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1 - RE-ANIMATOR ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2 - DEEP RED ⭐⭐⭐⭐
3 - TROMA'S WAR ⭐⭐
4 - DEAD HEAT ⭐⭐⭐
5 - V/H/S/94 ⭐⭐⭐
6 - ANGEL ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7 - MAYHEM ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8 - HOGZILLA ⭐⭐
9 - HALLOWEEN (1978) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
10 - HALLOWEEN (2018) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
11 - BRIDE OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
12 - TERROR TRAIN ⭐⭐⭐
13 - SEED OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐
14 - SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 2 ⭐⭐⭐
15 - HALLOWEEN KILLS ⭐⭐⭐
16 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER 2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
17 - HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN ⭐⭐⭐
18 - SUSPIRIA ⭐⭐⭐⭐
19 - CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST ⭐⭐⭐
20 - FRANKENHOOKER ⭐⭐⭐
21 - HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY ⭐
22 - SOCIETY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
23 - CLASS OF 1984 ⭐⭐⭐
24 - MUPPETS HAUNTED MANSION ⭐⭐

25 - WOLF COP ⭐⭐⭐⭐

A Werewolf cop has his own wolf mobile and fights the evil immortals who corrupt his city.

Watch it! Now!!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
#47 - Hellraiser

1444164842924-32AMW2HBID1RDVE5XRXX

My favorite horror movie. I watch it numerous times per year, and I never get tired of it. For such a low budget, the combination of practical effects and imagination are what attracts me to this film. It was also the first unedited horror film I saw when I was 6 years old.

#48 - Wishmaster

wishmaster-film-order.jpg

It's been a while since I've seen every horror fans favorite Djinn. The effects are off the chain here going from one hellish set piece to another backed with the one of the coolest villain voices I've heard. The film is so awesome to watch that I can put aside the bad acting and somewhat uneven pacing. It was also a who's who of horror at the time featuring Tony Todd, Kane Hodder, Robert Englund, and Ted Raimi.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
28. Lamb (2021)

• Rating: 8 bleats out of 10

• Synopsis: "In the isolated depths of rural Iceland, a childless couple make an alarming discovery one day in their sheep barn."

al0Fd86nYNVdVttwhIQDYA0YRhd.jpg

OYR8sR2.gif

Well, that was an interesting one...

It's a very calm and contemplative film. I found the general tone to be a perfect fit with the beautiful and quiet Icelandic landscape. Everything in there is expressed calmly in a very domestic, nearly mundane way.

It's a slow movie, yes. But it's never boring, quite the opposite actually. And it's all because of the bonkers underlying concept. The whole thing is so strange that you just can't stop watching. This movie is bound to stay in your head for a very long time, if only to try making sense of what it's sometimes trying to say.

Clearly, this film is not for everyone. But for those that can let themselves get absorbed by it, it's a very unique and interesting experience.

---

Other movies I watched this month:

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
tsKJhpUDc1roUBjMwXqxMYlIjsk=.gif

Got a few reviews to catch up on here.

26) Malignant (2021)

tMbGdiZ.jpeg

So I'm supposed to put out a BOLO on Sloth from the Goonies?

Quite a fitting film to follow up my Giallo Gala, as this kooky film seems to have drawn on a lot of elements from giallo. Vivid colours, a mysterious villain in black gloves and a trenchcoat, bloody murders, evil phone calls from the killer, etc. I even felt one of the main tunes from the score sounded an awful lot like the one from Don't Torture a Duckling. All these turned up to eleven of course, this is not a subtle or down to Earth film, and that's just the first two acts. Once it hits the third act the film goes full cartoon bonkers.

So is it scary? Not really; even before the third act switch the villain is a little too silly, with his next time Gadget next time voice (he even does evil laughs!), and it's rather too slick and modern to have much atmosphere, relying more on jumpscares of the whoosh past the camera variety. There's a bit early on where the protagonist sees a shadowy figure emerge across the street and come towards her house silently, and it's much creepier than any of the telegraphed "boo!" moments. It sounds like I'm being ultra negative so far, but if you take the film as a bit of a light parody, it is reasonably entertaining, and there's some creative if very showy camerawork and visuals, particularly in the increasingly absurd climax.

It's obvious James Wan was having a lot of fun making this, and it is possible you will have fun watching it if in the right mindset. Just don't expect a slow chiller.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Urban_Legend_poster.jpg

61 - Urban Legend 2/5

Ah yes, the Scream-like batch from the late 90s... this one's pretty shitty, but I have to admit I was sorta-kinda into it lol. Most of the kills are off screen which sucks, but the who-dun-it aspect is actually pretty decent with constant misdirects, the cast is pretty stacked, and overall, while not a good movie in any way (certainly ranks below Scream and probably below I Know What You Did), I still thought it was somewhat fun, what can I say. Terrible final girl tho, Sidney Priscott she ain't.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 28 | The Masque of the Red Death, 1964

tumblr_nbuk164Zbd1rne776o1_500.gifv

Not quite what I expected. It's a weird mix of B-movie and European arthouse, with lots of occult gothic vibes that devolve into a sort of abstract, operatic finale. Is it good? Tough to say. I think it grapples with a lot of ambitious ideas, visually and textually, but it handles them all in a kind of amateurish way... but that feels like part of the charm? It's a very earnest film - it feels like an uncompromised vision.

Vincent Price is obviously great as Prospero, but I like a lot of the supporting cast too. They're all pretty off-kilter - it's tough to get a bead on anyone's motivations beyond just indulgence and cruelty. It's rarely scary, but it's often unsettling, particularly when you get to the actual masquerade... the whole gorilla thing is supremely weird and executed brilliantly.

I gotta wonder what Edgar Allan Poe would have thought of the whole Corman adaptation series, y'know? I need to watch more of them.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Bonus movie #3: Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (1998, Jim Stenstrum) ★★

I wanted to punch my TV every time Billy West spoke. Also, making it actually supernatural was dumb as shit.

Re-watches:

Zombie (1979, Lucio Fulci) ★★★★
Spider Baby (1967, Jack Hill) ★★★★

I could watch this movie every day in October.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
1. Final Destination 1: 3.5/5 (Rewatch)
2. Malignant: 3/5
3. Willy's Wonderland 3/5
4. Trick R Treat: 4.5/5
5. An American Werewolf in London: 5/5
6. The People Under The Stairs: 3.5/5
7. Tremors: 5/5
8. The Blob 1988: 4/5
9. Spiral: From the Book of Saw: 3.5/5
10: Spree: 3.5
11. 12 Hour Shift: 2/5
12. Mayhem: 4/5
13. Midsommar: 4.5/5
14: Halloween 2018: 5/5

Okay, I got swamped from work the last few days and shocking it's ending by Halloween but I crammed and catch up to now so here's what I saw up to tonight.

15 : Halloween Kills: 3/5, My biggest gripe is it lies about one key moment and I'll save that for the spoiler talk. It was just ok, bigger body count but everyone had the idiot ball.

16. Evil Dead (1981): Low key classic, low budget but big impact, surreal seeing Ash be so...ordinary compared to what's coming. 5/5

17. Evil Dead 2: Where things go off the rails...kinda. It's a quasi remake of 1 for 10 minutes and then it picks up and things go really insane. It's still bloody and it's fun. 4.5/5

18. Army of Darkness: Yeah, this is looneyville. The Mini Ash insanity, Evil Ash, the Skelly Army, it's batshit and you forget it's the 2nd sequel of Evil Dead, it's pure cheese compared to its bloodier preludes. 4/5

19. Evil Dead 2013: Yeah, this is a semi-remake but man, this was just brutal and a great sendup of the original. Just see it, it's one of the few redos that does it right. 5/5

20. Shocker: Wes Craven, you were really bored were you? It's like Universal wanted a new horror icon but man, it's fucking dumb. Dumb in a fun way. 3/5

21. The Stepfather: Terry Quinn just makes this role work, it's more of a thriller but the studio added some horror stuff but it still is a underrated gem. 4/5

22. The Serpent and the Rainbow: Many say this was Craven's underrated gem between Nightmare and Scream and that's about right, it's more haunting than scary I guess, Pullman is the standout and the cast is very good. You can tell they had a blast making this. 4/5

23. Scream: It's a classic, what else is to say? I saw it for the 25th. 4.5/5

24. Anaconda: Also a cheesy classic. I saw it for the 25th. 3.5/5

25. Prince of Darkness: I honestly can't put my finger why it didn't work for me. It's haunting yes but it's missing something. I dunno what though. Sadly, a dud for me. 2/5

26. Ouija: Origin of Evil: I was said to watch this first before the 2014 film and yeah, this is basically Mike Flanagan's breakout hit and it shows. Despite being PG13, this movie is very good in setting the atmosphere and scares without it being cheap. Good performances throughout. 4/5

I think over the weekend after work (sorry football weekend anyways. Let's see if I can cram in 5 movies in 4 days.)

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#28. Psycho III - As nonsensical and pointless as these Psycho sequels are, they are still decently watchable. Anthony Perkins got to direct this one but it clearly had a negative effect on his ability to give a good performance. There's a decent setup with the nun character but then they introduce the musician guy who feels like he's from a different movie. Although I don't have much positive things to say about the movie, I thought it was fine.

Nov 27, 2017
29. Shadow of the Vampire (2000) 3/5

An fun alternative reality where the actor who played Count Orlok in the groundbreaking 1922 film Nosferatu was an actual vampire. Its loosely historical revolves around the making of the film and the mysteriousness surrounding its star. It's played for fun but I could've used a little more suspense driving the plot forward. The fiction isn't seamlessly woven in with the reality and the filmmaking aspects aren't that interesting; it just feels like more could've been done with the concept. I did like the interspersed shots that simulated the actual film. They got a group of very talented actors in the cast, and Dafoe and Malkovich specifically dial up the ham to 11. It's a creative idea and a nice companion to the original movie, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't like it more.

30. Lamb (2021) 3.5/5

A couple living in a remote section of Iceland discover that one of their sheep gives birth to a strange hybrid. Such a weird concept, and they play it so straight. It's a very quiet movie, which adds to the unsettling and eerie mood. The vistas are gorgeous but the overall effect is more of a mood than a big payoff.

1. Candyman (2021) 3.5/5
2. The Empty Man (2020) 3/5
3. The Lost Boys (1987) 2/5
4. His House (2020) 3.5/5
5. 28 Days Later (2002) [rewatch] 4/5
6. 28 Weeks Later (2007) 3.5/5
7. Shadow in the Cloud (2020) 1/5
8. Re-Animator (1985) 4/5
9. Kwaidan (1964) 4/5
10. Coven of Sisters (2020) 4.5/5
11. Don't Breathe 2 (2021) 1.5/5
12. Audition (1999) 4/5
13. The Final Girls (2015) 3.5/5
14. John Dies at the End (2012) 3/5
15. Life (2017) 2.5/5
16. The Endless (2017) 3.5/5
17. Koko-Di Koko-Da (2019) 3.5/5
18. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) 4/5
19. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) 3/5
20. The Vanishing (1988) 4/5
21. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) 4/5
22. Tumbbad (2018) 3/5
23. Sputnik (2020) 3.5/5
24. Possessor (2020) 4/5
25. Hunter Hunter (2020) 4/5
26. Onibaba (1964) 3.5/5
27. Bad Hair (2020) 1.5/5
28. La Llorona (2019) 3.5/5

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
1. (N) Sputnik (2020) ****
2. (N) Dead Silence (2007) ***
3. (R) Halloween II (1981) ***
4. (R) Halloween IV (1988) **
5. (R) Halloween V (1989) *
6. (R) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) ***
7. (N) The Midnight Meat Train (2008) ****
8. (N) Lake Mungo (2011) ***
9. (N) A Dark Song (2016) ****
10. (N) C.H.U.D (1984) **
11. (R) The Void (2017) *****
12. (N) Basket Case (1982) ***
13. (N) Caveat (2020) ***
14. (N) The Medium (2021) ****
15. (R) The Blob (1988) *****
16 (R) IT: Chapter 2 (2019) ***
17. (N) The Queen of Black Magic (2019) *****
18. (R) Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) ***
19. (N) Satan's Little Helper (2005) *
20. (R) Infection/Kansen (2004)

———

21. V/H/S (2012)

220px-Vhs-film-poster.jpg

A group of real pieces of shit attempt to rob an old man to steal a videotape. One of the group decides to watch some of the unlabeled ones he finds. Found footage shakey cam anthology ensues.

A real mixed bag this one. It's an anthology where two of the stories are genuinely great (the succubus and the cult house) but all of the others - including the wraparound - I thought were mind-numbingly boring. I've not got much else to say really. I liked the first and last stories enough that I am intrigued by the idea of watching the sequels, but I'm not really excited by the idea much either.

6ad24ca8e889d4233d17d34d74848d842a058696_00.gif

One thing that stood out is that every man in this film is a real vile pile of scum to the point where its impossible to feel bad for anything that happens to them, except for the last story where the whole group end up being absolute gents. Whether the film was trying to say something with that or whether it was just accidental I really don't know.

———

3 stars out of 5

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
27) A Quiet Place Part II (2021)

0CNuTiJ.jpeg

Now you can.

More like A Quiet Place Volume II, am I right? Eh? Eh? Ah, I'm wasted on ye.

Now my one overriding thought was for monsters that hunt by sound, they sure make a lot of fuckin' noise. Several times in the film characters are able to run away because the monsters are too busy crashing through everything in "bull in china shop" mode making a racket. You'd think they would try a little stealth. Then again, the sound monsters are from the Doctor Who school of thought, whereupon they're designed to be scary and interesting on-screen more than they're meant to make sense as actual creatures. Thankfully, the film doesn't give in to typical sequel monster fodder, and even though the heroes can now kill them, just one of the monsters remains ultra deadly in any given scene.

The first film benefitted from the tiny scale focusing on just one family in the post-apocalypse in their little settlement, with a lot of fun production design going into the very quiet lives they had to lead. This film opens it up to a wider world with more action and forward momentum beyond simple survival. This does lead it to entering more typical post-apocalyptic tropes well worn by films, TV shows and video games in recent years. You've got your evil humans, your jaded loner, your ray of hope message, etc.

So it's not as fresh as the first film, and being split into two plotlines makes it less focused (though I really liked how they visually intersected at a climactic point). Overall however it's generally more of the same as the original, so if you liked that a lot you will likely enjoy this too. It remains skillfully made and well acted, particularly by the deaf Millicent Simmonds playing the daughter, who gets a more central role this time.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Bonus movie #4: Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016, Mike Flanagan) ★★★½
Nothing amazing, but it's pretty decent for being a newer mainstream PG-13 horror movie. Main complaints would be the ending being abrupt/unsatisfying (maybe a pitfall of it being a prequel to a movie I'll never watch) and some of the CG with the kid looking corny. I'm guessing if he made it now, Flanagan would add in more about dead parents/spouses.

Bonus movie #5: Blood Bath (1966, Jack Hill & Stephanie Rothman) ★★★½
Strange movie that has an even stranger production history: Roger Corman gets involved with a European spy thriller which he decides isn't good enough to release. He hires Jack Hill to shoot more scenes and turn it into a horror movie about an artist who kills his models. He decides that version also isn't good enough so he hires Stephanie Rothman to do more reshoots, but this time the lead actor refuses to participate, so they add it in a subplot about the artist being a vampire (who for some reason looks like a different person as a vampire). An enjoyable mess where the clashing styles end up working.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
108. Event Horizon 1997

A really nice 4k transfer of a movie with incredible potential that just collapses into a black hole of mediocrity in the 3rd act.

2.5 outta 5

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bow to your horror movie watching prolificness!

I also really liked Relic when I watched it last year.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
30) Poltergeist III (1988) - Again, thought I would dislike it a bunch, and it wasn't bad. Did a lot of fun camera stuff utilizing mirrors, so it was probably worth it for that alone. It did end up dragging along a bit at the end, but getting there was fine enough. The main doctor guy kind of overacted his lines into a bit of cheese realm. The biggest thing is how sad it is that Heather O'Rourke died not to long after this was filmed. I guess they took a road trip, and shortly after returning home she took a turn and ended up passing away. Crohn's Disease, which she had while filming this movie. I guess her puffy cheeks in some of the scenes were a symptom :(. I feel like I need more words before I put my rating. 6/10

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I kept a record of what the most movies a single person watched since we started this was, because there's no way you haven't blown it out of the water.

I went back through all the threads from this country and the old.

On the old country one person years ago claimed to have done well over 100 the year prior but did not actually document it that year, and I could find no trace of anyone hitting 100.

On Era, two people have done at least 100 while starting on October 1 and ending 31 , both of those people are me, in 2018 I did 101... and this year wherever I land.

One other person last year did 99.

In 2018 someone else hit 130 but their marathon was 6 weeks, started a week before Oct 1, and a cursory glance it doesn't look like they actually did 100 of those 130 in October proper.

So I'm going to claim champion :)

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Bonus Film 7) Fear Street Part One: 1994 (2021)

8ZcYIq8.jpeg

You're a monster!

When you call multiple people in a film that it becomes like that "Everyone I meet is an asshole" thing.

This was ok, didn't exactly blow me away. As Part One of three it was a pretty basic modern slasher. The acting and writing was so-so at best, with some not particularly compelling teen drama and characters oddly unconcerned about the deaths of their friends. In fact a character's boyfriend is killed and I don't think she even acknowledges it once. Just some weird morality going on in general all over the cast. There's a few moments of surprising gore (Goosebumps this is not), and some mildly intriguing set-up for future parts. I'm all for some 1990s nostalgia baiting after an overdose of 80s focus over the past decade, which this delivers, albeit going overboard on the song usage. It switches between three songs in thirty seconds in one scene. Still, the lack of mobile phones is only ever a plus in slashers and the aesthetic is fun.

An average start to this trilogy. Also Maya Hawke shows up in that Drew Barrymore role and I couldn't help but think they should have gotten her for the whole film.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
110. Prisoners of Ghostland 2021

A baffling film with style and setting and scenario so crazy and surreal that Nicholas Cage comes off as understated

I went back through all the threads from this country and the old.

On the old country one person years ago claimed to have done well over 100 the year prior but did not actually document it that year, and I could find no trace of anyone hitting 100.

On Era, two people have done at least 100 while starting on October 1 and ending 31 , both of those people are me, in 2018 I did 101... and this year wherever I land.

One other person last year did 99.

In 2018 someone else hit 130 but their marathon was 6 weeks, started a week before Oct 1, and a cursory glance it doesn't look like they actually did 100 of those 130 in October proper.

So I'm going to claim champion :)
As that very same 2018 person, you are more than welcome to your title.

I'm resting easy because I'm fairly confident in being the all-time word processing champ for write-ups pound for pound, and I do not welcome anyone to try to run themselves more ragged than I already am for the distinction!

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
October 27

Movie: Silent Hill (2006)

Watched on: DVD

I like this movie! First watched it when it came out in theaters. I know it's not totally accurate to the Silent Hill games, but it's a pretty close adaptation compared to other video game movie adaptations. I like the mood and look of the film. I love the video game soundtrack being used in the movie. The special effects are great, too! This movie sets up something cool, but the sequel dropped the ball hard.

I'm actually glad I never saw the sequel. I think the ending of the film works better as a final ending, not as sequel bait. It's haunting and a little confusing and a little ambigious all in the best ways. As a big Silent Hill fan I really liked it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
As that very same 2018 person, you are more than welcome to your title.

I'm resting easy because I'm fairly confident in being the all-time word processing champ for write-ups pound for pound, and I do not welcome anyone to try to run themselves more ragged than I already am for the distinction!

<3

You definitely put more effort into your reviews!

We both are champions

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #42 – The Pale Door

K7R3czP.jpg

I love a good western, which this isn't. It's a schlocky, pulpy, cheap- and ugly-looking load of old shit. It does have a surprisingly adequate cast, but they are never going to be able to make up for the stupid script, or the relentlessly dull way the film meets the eye, or the fact that nothing in the movie comes across as authentic or believable.

The Dalton Gang balls up a train robbery, and the next thing you know they're besieged in a spooky old ghost town by a coven of 200 year old undead witches. Said witches are after the blood of the innocent gay virgin hero (yes, really) in order to 'sustain themselves for decades' to come.

To be fair, as they were all burnt at the stake, they could do with a bit of a makeover. Not that the film ever really explains why sometimes the witches appear all pinky-black and crispy, and why sometimes they look completely normal, even when there are no outlaws around. Or why in their burnt forms they have pointy crone-style chins and noses. Or why, if they are so supernaturally powerful, they didn't just fuck up the witch-finder good and proper when he came calling 200 years ago. Or what relevance the Edgar Allen Poe quote the film takes its name from has, and why the viewer should give a shit.

If the best things about your movie are the poster and the song that plays over the closing credits, you should realise things have gone very wrong. One to avoid.

Score: 1 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
1. Candyman (2021) 2/5
2. Lights out (2016) 4/5
3. SAW (2004) 3/5
4. Conjuring (2013) 4/5
5. Annabelle (2014) 5/5
6. Saw II (2005) 2/5
7. Saw III (2006): 4/5
8. Halloween (1978) 4.5/5
9. Haunt (2019) 3/5
10. Scream (1996) 5/5
11. Malignant (2021) 4/5
12 Saw IV (2007) 3/5
13. Conjuring 2 (2016) 4.5/5
14. Halloween (2018) 5/5
15. IT (2017) 5/5
16. Hallowewn Kills (2018) 1/5
17. IT 2 (2019) 3/5
18. Midsommar (2019) 4/5
19. Cabin in the woods (2012) 3/5[
20. Get Out 5/5
21. Annabelle Creation (2017) 4/5
22. Saw 5 3/5 (2008)
23. the Purge (2013) 5/5
24. Saw 6 (2009) 4/5
25. The Nun (2018) 2/5
26. Saw the Final Chapter (2009) 3/5

26. Saw the Final Chapter (2009):

It was okay, the main character didn't succeed in helping anyone lol. Weird how it is called Saw Final Chapter with the doctor being there at the end

3/5

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to make some inroads to catching up. I WILL NOT FAIL!

22. Santa Sangre

I was going to stumble on Jodorowsky's brand of weird sooner or later, so I figured taking the plunge with his contribution to horror was perfect as an introduction. It becomes apparent quickly that he's a filmmaker that demands your attention. He doesn't waste time and there is a point to every scene, even if that point isn't easily discernable. Quite frankly, I'm still pulling at the layers of what all happened here. It's not so esoteric to be inaccessible though. It's just that if you want more out of it, there's plenty to mine. I try to imagine what this film would be like if it was directed by a journeyman or some schlock visionary. The broad material and plot isn't rare for the genre, and I feel like this could easily be some throw away giallo. That the film is elevated from that is a testament to the vision of its director. There is a dreamlike, surreal vibe throughout. The direction and production design veers right on the edge of reality. The performances are very expressive and loud, which adds to this vibe. Add to that the colorfulness of the characters, even when some lack development, much can be ascertained from just looking at them. I'd bring up David Lynch as a comparison, but I guarantee that's been done to death.

It's an experience, one that stimulates your mind as well as your eyes. This isn't just a think piece though, there is plenty of emotion here, and the horror of atmospheric.

8/10

23. A Quiet Place Part II

Aka A Quiet Place: Season 2.

For some reason, I thought a certain character was returning from the dead for this, so I'm glad I had the wrong idea. I enjoyed the first film, but was annoyed by several contrivances and a forced sentimentality that didn't feel earned. Most of my issues with it lay with its story, as there were some fantastic scenes of tension. This time around, Jim from the Office (too lazy to Google how to spell his name) handled script duties alone, which comes with good and some not so good. The gimmick is still sound (no pun intended). It really feels like an extension of the last film. Cillian Murphy was a good addition. It's intense (although it's lost its freshness) and it doesn't fall into the many of the traps the last one did writing wise. It is a bit silly how it separates the characters. The main issue is the ending, or lack thereof. I understand what it's going for, but it's too abrupt.

7/10

24. The Hidden

Hey, it's that movie Jason Goes to Hell ripped off! Which kind of amazes in how much it took from the concept, even down to how the creature is passed on. This was a fun sci fi/action/horror flick. The action aspect was well done and very of its time. Kyle McLaughlin is here in what feels like a trial run for his Agent Cooper character. My favorite aspect was the villainous creature itself. It's motivations are fantastically entertaining to watch. It just wants to have a good time, get fucked up, steal some fast cars, go to the strip club, and listen to heavy metal. It's almost like watching somebody play GTA with invincibility codes enabled, but you know...it's a horror flick.

7/10

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
111. Censor 2021

A bit uneven in commitment and style and message... but an utterly fascinating final act makes this a worthwhile watch

3 outta 5

Had the day off due to being in quite a bit of pain with my left heel, so I had time!

356071.jpg

A trio of Asian horror films, part one!

Where does the documentary end and the found footage begin? Kōji Shiraishi's film provides a fitfully disorienting answer to that question, as the documentary that his main character Kobayashi begins to trawl through archives to piece together his latest dive into the world of the supernatural in Japan. At least, that was the plan, as the film opens with a grave introduction warning the viewer that what we're about to see contains all of the events that led up to Kobayashi's mysterious disappearance after completing his latest documentary, which itself adds to the disorientation as answers seem to be buried deeper and deeper into the narrative going on around him and his cameraman as their initial investigation into a strange neighbor of a correspondent soon turns mysterious and fatal. To say that what ensues as far as the narrative becoming labyrinthine is putting it mildly, as tangents into the world of variety shows soon reveal a darker and more far-reaching plot that is unfolding, all seemingly surrounding a very rude woman who never seems eager to let anyone into her home, even as she's constantly moving around, along with her quiet child that looks on as if he's desperately looking to be anywhere else. Though some elements do feel inevitable when the plot finally turns for them, how they get there is anything but predictable.

Shiraishi seems to understand that his approach here is very much a double edged sword in terms telling its story, as while the pursuit of truth and, of course, unimaginable horrors takes on a very large scope as the documentary covers about two years, it does also run the risk of being a little too engorged on the details. Seemingly minor characters do wind up playing a role in the spread of the horror, though their single scene appearances before their exits tends to feel a little too superfluous in the long run when the film does get around to remembering them for their eventual exit. Yet I can't deny that it does all add up to an appreciable level of doom that enshrouds the entire story, as each gruesome tidbit surrounding the curse of the Kagutaba serves shows just how truly vile and evil its influence will be if left unchecked, even as the batting average for the heroes in J-horror films successfully reversing curses of this nature tends to be on the low side. It does mean that the film can be a bit on the uneven side as some bits work better than others (I'm still not sure what to make of the aluminum-coated antics of the psychic, which does come off as a bit more wacky than necessary), but the hit ratio remains relatively high throughout, making for some damn good scares and atmosphere as the grainy video quality does much for adding to the sense of creeping dread long before we get an idea of what we're looking at.

As a film that plays around with what the threat looks like at all, it adds a lot to the suspense that pays off when our heroes head to the former site of the shrine where it all began, which turns into a two-camera excursion into genuine nightmare as each camera follows a different vantage point of the action that cuts back and forth when you least want it to in either case, maximizing the terror for a superb sequence that certainly is strong enough to secure this film's reputation as it is. Shiraishi does well in justifying the lengthier approach with the way the film continues on from there with its set of false climaxes that wind up adding more and more to the scope of the curse itself, leaving just one last video tape to be uncovered to offer us the closest thing we're going to get in story like this to filling in the final blanks while also making the viewer deeply regretful about inquiring about it in the first place with its barrage of horror. While there's very little on-screen violence as it is, the use of the grainy imagery and the splitting audio design makes everything a little too real for comfort, even when the supernatural overwhelms the film in its final moments and looks like the genuine article. Even a fake kind of truth needs to feel like it could happen right before your very eyes to pull off its effect, as this film does too good a job for comfort in that regard.

41dIFoFeK8L._AC_.jpg

A trio of Asian horror films, part two!

Another film that's been long considered for past marathons and I never could quite fit it in anywhere! And it's a good thing, too, as Park Chan-wook's spin on vampires is nothing if not singular in its visual storytelling and in its premise, making for a film that's far more funny and entertaining than you could have ever imagined. Though Park is hardly a stone-faced artiste to begin with, one can really see just how much fun he decided to have with this as he brings vampires to modern day Korea for a mix of sex, bloodshed, Catholic guilt, flute performances, aerial feats, waterlogged ghosts, and maybe just a little romance along the way. It's a film with a lot going on at any given moment, but Park has rarely ever not risen to the occasion of being able to juggle as many flaming chainsaws as possible and make it look all so easy, and even learned how to hide the nicks that such a project would incur along the way.

At the center of the film is, of course, a crisis of faith, as poor Sang-hyun finds that his devotion to God and all His works just doesn't feel like it's enough for the good work he does for a local hospital, putting him on a collision course with destiny as he volunteers for an experimental vaccine research program to rid the world of a deadly new virus and be able to reach out to more people to help them in their time of need. Things don't go so well, of course, but his miraculous recovery manages to make him something of a walking saint among the flock, even as he starts to realize that the vaccine has an unexpected side effect of flaring up again if he doesn't get the proper nutrition. And of course, it's not something that a tall cup of OJ can fix, as his dawning realization that being a man of the cloth has something of a conflict of interest with his newfound vampirism. There's little doubt that only Song Kang-ho could have played a role like this, taking his every-man charisma and giving Sang-hyun a real sense of pathos that's tinged by real comedic chops as the deadpan humor suits his sensibilities so well. There are suicide attempts played for laughs, and then there are suicide attempts played for laughs as he capably illustrates here, among many other showcase moments for him to catch you off guard with how well he's able to play it straight even in the most absurd circumstances.

As we are in Park's very unique world, this must mean that by default that Sang-hyun is practically a saint, as the family he befriended as a child are a real collective piece of work, and it's not long before Tae-ju, one-time adopted daughter and now forcibly devoted wife to the sickly son of the clan, finds herself anxious to trade up for something a little more sinful by anyone's standards. Make no mistake: this is one horny film, with the sex scenes between Sang-hyun and Tae-ju having a real erotic energy to them that manages to get tempered by the machinations of the story to keep them from being too haughty, though that might be up for debate for how much sucking and licking that doesn't involve blood that goes on between the two. Of course, she has to find out because they always do, and when you're starting to get real tired of the life you had, that's when you start thinking about a more complete change of scenery. For her part, Kim Ok-vin makes for a rascally minx of a female lead, complicated but always so vivacious that even her most diabolical scheming is tempered by the fact that she's just too darn likable to stay mad at her surrogate murder plots. The rest of the cast are great fun as well, with especially high marks going to Kim Hae-sook as the matriarch whose deteriorating condition lends itself to some wonderful physical humor in the back half of the film, but it's hard not to see this as being a particularly special showcase for both Song and Kim as their feverish boinking gives way to a most enjoyable back-and-forth once the sex isn't enough, the secrets come to the surface, and they both get what they want with all the downsides to go along with it.

Though a horror film doesn't initially seem like the kind of opportunity for Park to flex as a director like we saw with the Vengeance Trilogy or, god willing, The Handmaiden, he surprises again here with his trademark eye for perfectly out-of-time production design making for sumptuous settings amidst all the blood and some truly remarkable camerawork that makes good use of both VFX and frankly genius framing to bring to life the kind of acrobatic glee one might have if they had the ability to be as light as a feather when dashing through the night. It's such a delight to look at that you almost forget how good he is as telling a story with the imagery alone, letting exposition flow through them with a remarkable grace and wit that makes you wonder how in the hell he's able to create such technically demanding scenes and make it look so easy in the process. It's definitely a clever film from a writing standpoint as well, letting him and longtime co-screenwriter Seo-kyeong Jeong find the least conventional choices on how to depict the central relationship, and while it's not a tremendously deep film in terms of its themes, it's smart about having enough meat on its bones that the aesthetic bliss of the film doesn't have to cake over too much to give it more heft.

One might be down the film for not being as much of a game changer as Park's most famous works, and while there's a certain truth to that, this isn't the time to look such a fine gift horse in the mouth when it is such a splendid beast regardless. One might also be disappointed that it doesn't really try to be particularly that scary at any point, but when the film is such a gas to watch unfold as the ups and downs between Sang-hyun and Tae-ju mirror their rooftop routines to deviously entertaining ends. With superb filmmaking talent at his side, Park delivers one of the most enjoyable vampire films I've seen in a very long time, and his leads prove to be one of the most charming duos that make their love-hate relationship work even in the film's most overtly bombastic moments for a terrific feature. I don't doubt that Park thought about taking his segment from Three... Extremes and expanding the delightful introduction to far grander depth, as this film clearly evokes the same kind of baroque styling, and I've fewer doubts that he was surprised by how well he was able to pull it off. A genuine delight from start to finish!

Satan_s_Slave-422131732-large.jpg

A trio of Asian horror films, part three!

As someone that's been a fan of the Indonesian horror film scene over the past decade, this film offered up a nice surprise in the sense that it pared back a lot of the explicit violence that they've had a reputation. Not that this doesn't have its own scene of shocking brutality in it, or that it's necessarily a bad thing that their brand of genre filmmaking tends to veer in that direction (far from it, really), but with this being primarily about a tight-knit family of children, ages 6-22, it was refreshing to get this film to focus more on their growing terror at what's happening to them in the house they thought was home, putting the atmosphere and clever scares at a premium to go with their believable bonds. That perhaps is the most surprising thing about this as it is, by and large, a vintage haunted house film that knows what works about them and makes sure that everything is up to a high standard.

Writer/director Joko Anwar goes for a surprisingly reserved approach overall, putting an emphasis on long takes and some impressive tracking shots to establish the mood that he's going for, and manages to get all the mileage he can out of the house that most of the film takes place in as its geography becomes very familiar to the viewer and soon has them checking absolutely every corner when something doesn't feel right about this particular trip down the hallway or the inside of a room. Those that are more familiar with the likes of, say, the films that comprise The Conjuring series might be taken aback by the lack of outright showmanship here in terms of its camerawork and more aggressive scare tactics, but that winds up being the reason why the scares are so effective as Anwar realizes it really doesn't actually take that much to pull them off and maximizes their potential just about every time. And as mentioned earlier, he does it without skimping on the family ties themselves, as the Suwono clan are established as a close unit united by their love for each other as they have precious little else, with tragedy seemingly unending as the older adults start to pass in rapid frequency. Solid acting from the kids themselves shows how serious Anwar is about making this work properly, but I can't imagine anyone not walking away from this wanting more of his lead Tara Basro as the eldest and only adult child of the clan, who exudes a lot of maturity as she tries to keep everyone together as her initial skepticism gives way to horrified acceptance that what they're dealing with is not just their grief-stricken imaginations running wild.

There's also a very compelling element to the film in that the story makes an interesting play early on to have a battle of ideology establish itself at a funeral that reveals the Suwono clan as being decidedly non-religious in a famously Muslim-heavy nation, a fact that their concerned neighbors try to reconcile as things get more and more explicitly supernatural for them. Never preachy, the back and forth between a devout neighbor and the kids makes for some good tension as we find out more about how they got into their current predicament to add a religious battle element as the forces of Hell become all too real. It's very nice that this wasn't just mere window dressing and even makes you wish that there was more of it in lieu of the larger machinations of the plot that reveal themselves as a far reaching conspiracy that was pitched even before a single child was born. Not that the ideas behind them are bad, really, but it does make for a lot of exposition as a result of all that needs to be said about them that can drag the film down to feel slower than its deliberate pacing ever could and doesn't feel clean enough to make me think that they couldn't have afforded a couple of additional passes to get them boiled down to their essence a little more efficiently. And, perhaps, that time could have been spent on cleaning up the confusing finale, as too much happens in too short a time to be able to grasp anything other than the action itself, as the heat turns up considerably but loses a lot of clarity in the process before it all wraps up, making it fizzle a fair bit when it moves away from the intimacy that preceded it.

Up until then, though, it's hard not to recommend this as a very fine haunted house film that realizes that one doesn't need to hit 100mph at the first available opportunity when driving the speed limit can often be much more effective. With its strong cast of characters and genuinely creepy atmosphere, Anwar makes a great case for being a talent to watch for horror in general, as he's got a lot of terrific fundamentals at work here that can branch off elsewhere, as I've no doubt looked at his credits since this film to see that being the case. Nowhere nearly as salacious as the title sounds, the low-key nature of much of the film is a rather nice palate cleanser from the more elaborately staged films I had watched today and made for a very fitting and very good conclusion to the day's festivities. Sometimes, all you need is a sheet in the right place at the wrong time to get something you won't soon forget.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
28. A Quiet Place Part II (2020)

This sequel keeps up with the tension you get from the first movie, not just from the monsters, but with other survivors. Also, it has a Day 1 story. If you loved the first one, you'll love this too.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
112. Dead and Buried 1981

An absolute classic with an absolute classic final shot.

Just a brilliant little creepy mystery

5 outta 5

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMWU0MzJiMWEtOWQyYi00YTZkLWExYWEtZDZkODRlZDliOTVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

55. Gaia (2021) (New) 3/5
This started off really strong and there is a really good movie in here but the end product was disappointing. The visuals of the South African forest are incredible and the creature effects are really well done. The movie stumbles when it comes to the generic story and the pacing.

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BZGZkMDc1M2QtOWYyYy00ODZjLTk5OWQtOTI5NDVlYTRkY2FiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

56. House (1986) (New) 4/5
This caught me off guard in the best way. I was expecting a haunted house movie and that's what I got for the first 30 minutes until it flips the switch and goes completely off the wall and becomes a goofball nightmare with some great practical Evil Dead level effects.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
35. Lights Out (2016, streaming on Hulu) 4/5
Thanks to JDFaulky for putting this little gem on my radar! I expected a slicky produced, but mediocre modern horror flick and instead got something very inventive and entertaining! The myriad ways they utilize the monster and its weakness is pretty astounding and always a treat to experience. There could be a little more tightening of the character-work perhaps, but really, this flick is lean and mean and focuses on its scares.

34. Christine (1983, streaming on Pluto TV) 2/5

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1 - RE-ANIMATOR ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2 - DEEP RED ⭐⭐⭐⭐
3 - TROMA'S WAR ⭐⭐
4 - DEAD HEAT ⭐⭐⭐
5 - V/H/S/94 ⭐⭐⭐
6 - ANGEL ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7 - MAYHEM ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8 - HOGZILLA ⭐⭐
9 - HALLOWEEN (1978) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
10 - HALLOWEEN (2018) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
11 - BRIDE OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
12 - TERROR TRAIN ⭐⭐⭐
13 - SEED OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐
14 - SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 2 ⭐⭐⭐
15 - HALLOWEEN KILLS ⭐⭐⭐
16 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER 2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
17 - HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN ⭐⭐⭐
18 - SUSPIRIA ⭐⭐⭐⭐
19 - CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST ⭐⭐⭐
20 - FRANKENHOOKER ⭐⭐⭐
21 - HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY ⭐
22 - SOCIETY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
23 - CLASS OF 1984 ⭐⭐⭐
24 - MUPPETS HAUNTED MANSION ⭐⭐
25 - WOLF COP ⭐⭐⭐⭐

26 - CHOPPING Mall ⭐⭐⭐

What if the best of 80s cheese met Killer Robots in the shopping mall? You'd get this wonderful and fun movie.