Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYTg5ZjZjOGEtZmJkMC00NTQyLThhN2QtODY4NGU3YmMwYzQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

64. Sator (2019) (New) 2/5
An atmospheric slow burn that is beautifully shot with some very creepy scenes but ultimately underwhelming. This was just too tedious and the narrative was all over the place.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #48 – The Lighthouse

R0hj0A7.jpg

I enticed my wife to see this on the big screen by telling her she'd get to see Robert Pattinson playing with himself. As we were leaving the cinema, she said, "Well that was a bit weird." And I couldn't really disagree with her. It is a weird movie, but in a good way. This is my first rewatch, and I have to admit I didn't love it quite as madly today as I did back then. It's hard to put my finger on why, but I think maybe certain elements of it seemed a little bit... overly self-conscious? Or maybe it's just because I'm not in the right frame of mind, or I've seen too many lobster memes or something. Whatever, it's still a fantastic movie, I'm glad I watched it again, and I know I'll return to it in the future.

Score: 4 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
October 30

Will I reach 31 movies? We shall see by tonight (the 31st)

Movie: Orphan (2009)

Watched on: DVD

Not sure of the consensus of this movie, but I love it! It is just wild! Esther (the orphan) is one evil little brat! Isabelle Fuhrman is just awesome as the title character, and the incredible Vera Farmiga kills it as the flawed adoptive mother. Peter Sarsgaard brings in a little humor and really plays the 'completely in the dark' father role well. CCH Pounder is in this as well in a small role. I just love her! Anyways, some people might feel this movie is derivative and full of cliches, but I like it. It's a wild ride!

Movie: Train To Busan (2016)

Watched on: Blu-Ray

What else can be said about this modern classic? Really emotional zombie/infected movie. The movement of the zombies in this movie is so cool. Great performances from all of the actors in this! The Villain in this movie, though. I hate that guy so freaking much! Ugh! Very interesting social commentary as well. If you've never seen it, check it out!

Movie: Audition (1999)

Watched on: DVD

I first heard about this movie on an old Asian cinema board I used to belong to. I didn't read those threads because I thought (based on the title) it was about ballet or some kind of dance movie. I was like, can a ballet movie be that good that it gets multiple threads everyday? Don't judge a movie by it's title, I guess! I finally bought the DVD a few year years later, and let me tell you I was not ready!I like how the first half of the movie is just subdued, almost a slice of life romantic movie (with hints of something is not quite right with Asami). Then it takes a turn. It gets disturbing and bizarre, ending up in cruel, cringing in pain territory. This movie is great! Even Resident Evil 4 has an homage to it! Still my favorite Takashi Miike film.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Been doing a piss poor job updating but as today is near the final day

1. Silent Night, Deadly Night 5 (N)
  2. Child's Play 2 (R)
  3. Magic (N)
  4. Annabelle (N)
  5. Ouija (N)
  6. Sinister (N)
  7. Polaroid (N)
  8. Cube (R)
  9. Robert (N)
  10. Pool Party Massacre (N)
  11. Making Contact (N)
  12. Demonic Toys (N)
  13. Dollman vs Demonic Toys (R)
  14. Stan Helsing (N)
  15. Child's Play 3 (R)
  16. Willy's Wonderland (N)
  17. Annabelle Creation(N)
  18. Puppet Master (N)
  19. Puppet Master 2 (N)
  20. Puppet Master 3 (N)
  21. Puppet Master 4 (N)
  22. Wolfcop (N)
  23. Halloween Kills (N)
  24. Ouija Origins of Evil (N)
  25. Slumber Party Massacre 21 (N)
  26. Scream (R)
  27. Benny Love You (N)
  28. Doll Graveyard (N)
  29. Cooties (N)
  30. Return of the Living Dead (N)
  31. Land of the Dead (R)
  32. Child's Play (R)
  33. Puppet Master 5 (N)
  34. Bride of Chucky (R)
  35. Dead Silence (N)
  36. There's Someone Inside Your House (N)
  37. Demonic Toys 2 (N)
  38. Final Destination (R)
  39. Dolls (N)
  40. Final Destination 3 (R)
  41. Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys (N)
  42. Final Destination 4 (R)
  43. Monster House (R)
  44. Chld's Play 19 (N)
  45. Final Destination 5 (R)
  46. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich (N)
  47. Nightmare on Elm St (R)
I will say that the doll theme was a bit hit or miss, some really bad and dumb stuff. But I've also discovered some absolute gems in them. The Puppet Master series is uneven, but some really fun entries. Dead Silence is a delight. Magic is up there for me as just a good movie.

I also switched it up a bit near the end since Final Destination is leaving HBO MAx and wanted to revisit those movies. They can be fun, but sometimes the made up deaths are a bit too silly for my taste.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
123. Summer Camp Nightmare 1987

A surprisingly engaging little thriller gem. Some surprisingly solid performances and likeable characters makes the madness of a summer camp revolution kind of engaging

3 outta 5

Oct 25, 2017
lCWe6xW9eeqSE3I0p5ebUlN9j8VaP36LT6y1czhWqCg.jpg

65. The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) (Rewatch) 5/5
One of my favorite new watches from last year and it was just as fun the second time around. It doesn't waste any time and jumps right into things and really doesn't let up until the movie is over. Just pure 80's slasher fun.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
31) Halloween Kills (2021) - Pretty dumb movie generally that had a few fun kills. 5.5/10

Side note: Woooo! I did it! First year that I've attempted this, and the first year to complete, and then some. For the past... like 6 years I've been finishing my basement, and a huge part of that is a dedicated theater. The theater has been operational since like April I believe, and it DEFINITELY made this easier to take on. Also had a side vacation trip to Mexico, and in the evenings it's fun to check out some horror movies in the hotel room. I think we managed to fit in 4 movies during our 5 night stay :)

32) Sole Survivor (1984) - This movie was just alright. Not a ton happening. Watched it based on a twitter recommendation. There are some interesting mixes that modern movies have done, like final destination, it follows, and then... zombies sort of? Eh. 5.5/10

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
124. Girls' School Screamers 1986

A disappointing bore after a really promising intro but the movie never hits those visuals again.

Sad

1 outta 5

Last edited:

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I'm probably be teared a new one but I watched Halloween for the first time and I don't feel it has aged that well - except that OG epic Carpenter soundtrack. Still nice to have finally seen it, being iconic and all - just feel we've come a long way since then - and so has Carpenter as a director.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I finished off the month with a horror film festival on Saturday night:

27. Spiral (dir. Kurtis David Harder, 2019)
Indie horror film where a gay couple moves into a small town and strange stuff starts to happen. A film with progressive politics but very concervative story-telling. The film lost me completely when it suddenly introduced jump scares involving what looked like the girl from The Ring.
5/10

28. The Man Who Laughs (dir. Paul Leni, 1928)
A screening with a live electronic score. A silent gothic melodrama about a man surgically disfigure as a child to always have a Joker-like grin and his blind lover. One of the better Hollywood silent films I have seen though it slightly looses steam towards the end.
8/10

29. Hellraiser (dir. Clive Barker, 1987)
A classic that has aged surprisingly gracefully. The story and the world building feels very fresh compared to most 80's horror. I love how the film doesn't show too much of the cenobites early on making each of their appearaces more meaningful.
9/10

30. Red Screening (dir. Maximiliano Contenti, 2020)
A fun if not especially original giallo/slasher pastiche set in a cinema from Uruguay. The limited location and timeframe work for the film's advantage.
7/10

31. The Astro-Zombies (dir. Ted V. Mikels, 1968)
A very talky and uneventful zombie" film from z movie auteur Ted V. Mikels. Feels way overlong at even at 92 minutes. Not even entertaining in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. I have to admit that I had serious trouble staying awake during the screening which started at 0:30 at night.
1/10

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMjEyMTQ4ODc4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI1NjE4Mg@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

66. Sorority Row (2009) (New) 3/5
I went in with no expectations but this was actually pretty good. There are some pretty great kills, the humor works and you've got Carrie Fisher running around with a shotgun. It's by no means a good movie but I'm a sucker for these 2000's slashers.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1 - RE-ANIMATOR ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2 - DEEP RED ⭐⭐⭐⭐
3 - TROMA'S WAR ⭐⭐
4 - DEAD HEAT ⭐⭐⭐
5 - V/H/S/94 ⭐⭐⭐
6 - ANGEL ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7 - MAYHEM ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8 - HOGZILLA ⭐⭐
9 - HALLOWEEN (1978) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
10 - HALLOWEEN (2018) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
11 - BRIDE OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
12 - TERROR TRAIN ⭐⭐⭐
13 - SEED OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐
14 - SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 2 ⭐⭐⭐
15 - HALLOWEEN KILLS ⭐⭐⭐
16 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER 2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
17 - HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN ⭐⭐⭐
18 - SUSPIRIA ⭐⭐⭐⭐
19 - CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST ⭐⭐⭐
20 - FRANKENHOOKER ⭐⭐⭐
21 - HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY ⭐
22 - SOCIETY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
23 - CLASS OF 1984 ⭐⭐⭐
24 - MUPPETS HAUNTED MANSION ⭐⭐
25 - WOLF COP ⭐⭐⭐⭐
26 - CHOPPING MALL ⭐⭐⭐
27 - THE STUFF ⭐⭐⭐
28 - BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS ⭐⭐⭐⭐
29 - PUMPKINHEAD ⭐⭐⭐⭐

30 - FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II ⭐⭐⭐

A true classic. The music and sound actually makes this movie so much.

It's not as good as the first one and replying the finale of the first movie, in it's entirely feels like padding. But it introduces us to Jason Voorhees and it's clear why he would remain a staple of popculture for so long.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
30) The Queen of Black Magic (2019)
★★★★
In hindsight, Kimo Stamboel must've been the dark twisted half to Timo Tjahjanto's carnage during their collaborations. His reimagining of 1981 Indonesian horror classic The Queen of Black Magic reinvents the original's revenge melodrama as a tale of supernatural torment. A premise that once unfolded from the perspective of the punisher now resides amid the terror of the punished.

The opening third has quite a few plot threads to weave together: isolated orphanage, sickly father figure, reuniting orphans, mingling families, hints of dark secrets. Actually the set-up comes across as a grim disturbing foil to Timo's May The Devil Take You Too, which pushed similar elements into gonzo Evil Dead-style territory. Fresh off Satan's Slaves and Impetigore, Joko Anwar brings the same patient sympathetic drama of his films to the script. Those first 35 minutes are a deliberately paced but still intriguing slow burn that lulls us with its normalcy and character dynamics.

When The Queen of Black Magic decides to escalate from tension to terror, it does so with a sequence that cements just how gnarly and merciless Kimo can get. No one is safe during the occult cruelties that follow; the rest of the runtime is an onslaught of gruesome scares, wicked mystery, black-magic body horror, and so many centipedes. The emphasis on digital FX is somewhat disappointing, losing much of the original's tactile mystic awe, but there's still plenty of skin-crawling practical brutality too. Kimo's mean streak relentlessly compounded the uncomfortable misery until his house of horrors started to remind me of Jigoku. Trypophobes beware!
FDAu-QATWUAA9-6-format-jpg.jpg

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
28. Titane

Man... Nobody can make me squirm in my seat like Julia Ducournau does. It's the kind where you laugh about it afterwards, just for your reaction. This movie definitely had a habit of throwing me off and subverting how I thought it would play out. At the beginning you'd think you're in for sexy time, then you remember that this is the director that made Raw. She is a director that has full control on her utilization of horror, realizing how such a powerful toolset can heighten drama and explore the human condition. That she is able to combine these eccentricitys into something profound and ultimately touching is a testament to her talent. What else should you expect from the winner of the Palme d'or. I'll leave the details vague because this experience should be blind.

8/10

29. The House that Screamed

I was expecting something more akin to schlock. The setup is familiar, fairly close to what you'd expect from a giallo. What I didn't expect was a somewhat thoughtful film detailing bullying, abuse, and sexual repression with plenty of homoeroticism. The horror isn't always apparent, but its absence strengthens it when it does show. The third act in particular is excellent from a perspective of atmosphere and tension. The film does well with its red herrings as well, ensuring that when you think you know how this will play out, you still aren't completely sure. I sort of figured it out, thinking of a certain 1960's film that this one leans on, but I still doubted myself. Either way, it's more about the journey anyway which is how I'm judging this. The boarding school is a fantastic setting as well, that serves well for being photographed, and as soon as we enter it for the first time the viewer takes note on how the gates are locked behind them. I was told it was good, but it still surprised me.

8/10

Bonus Film 10) Halloween (2018)

ldnWmBx.jpeg

That was a dumb thing to pray for.

Before I see Halloween Kills, a re-watch of its predecessor, following on from the 1978 original last weekend.

Now, Halloween 1978 is an all time great for horror films, but its sequels have been uh, mixed to say the least. There's a couple of gems like III (and I retain a soft spot for H20), but also some absolute stinkers like Curse of Michael Myers and Resurrection. Given it inspired such a wave of slashers, it's ironic that many of the issues of the sequels has been the feeling they're just aping other slashers of their day. So 2018, I was very pleasantly surprised by, and enjoyed just as much this time.

It's one of the only ones, possibly the sole one actually, to get Myers right. Not even Halloween II really does. There is no attempt to explain him in any way, and he is seemingly unstoppable but not invincible. Inhuman while still human, if that makes sense. Gone is the borderline parodic linebacker of IV and V with his hilariously awful mask or the giant redneck from Rob Zombie's terrible remakes. Michael is swift and deadly in this, and played once again as a total void of humanity, entirely inscrutable to others. The unbroken shot of him marching through houses killing everyone in them with detached efficiency is superb (and notable given he seems to gain a lot more satisfaction from his longer and crueler terrorizing of the babysitter soon after). While he never speaks or reveals anything, his body language does seem to communicate his state of mind on each kill, such as a very gory foot-related kill late in the film that, to me, speaks to deep disdain and anger at that moment. Props to his actor who models his fine work on Nick Castle's from the original.

Something I love is that many other characters project explanations onto him, Laurie, his doctor, the pretentious true crime podcasters that kick off the plot, but he defies answering any of them. They all are certain he will regard Laurie as an archenemy, but when their eventual showdown comes (and he has to be brought to her) it's not clear if he even recognizes her, or if he does, whether he thinks of her any different from the many other victims he kills for no reason. Or he is simply pissed that she just shot off half his hand. Said victims like 1978 are also portrayed that way, victims. The film is gory but doesn't revel in it, and the victims are generally likable and their deaths unfortunate (compared to Friday the 13th where the appeal is Jason killing some annoying fratboys in often hilarious and creative ways).

It's all handsomely shot, particularly the saturated lighting, all orange street lamps and foggy backdrops. It's also surprisingly funny, a lot of quiet humor wrung out of the often delusional or clueless characters. The funniest bit is Michael getting shot at by Laurie, him realizing someone outside is gunning for him something fierce, and then straight up skedaddling. He does about the fastest slow walk he's ever done and doesn't even attempt to be stealthy.

All in all, the original remains king but this is high among the sequels and has a few of the best moments in the franchise, along with Carpenter thoroughly throwing down on his keyboards. It's reverent to the original, with plenty of callbacks, but not to the point where it drowns itself in rote nostalgic recreation like a lot of media properties lately, and remains its own film with its own style; faithful but not enslaved.

Now on to Halloween Kills. Given the highly mixed reception it's possible they balls up everything I praised here, but I'm still eager to see it.

Nice write-up that I agree with lot of aspects. I feel it's more thoughtful than it's given credit for. Good luck with Kills, which I thought was a good idea with a misguided execution. Particularly with how it handles nostalgia compared to the last, it's like stepping on your own toes with each step.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
125. Island of Blood 1982

Solid kills and a satisfying ending but the connective tissue that makes up the bulk of the movie is largely a bore

2.5 outta 5

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
All done.

letterboxd.com

31 Days of Horror 2021

Still here among the living which means another spook-tacular October watching the most gut wrenching films I can get my hands on. This year is no different from the past. Time may not be unlimited but I'll do my damnedest to watch all 31 films in a month's time. Happy hauntings!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 32 | Wes Craven's New Nightmare, 1994

gzVRLDH.gif

For my "bonus movies" I figured I'd aim for something meta - you know, scary movies ABOUT scary movies. First up, New Nightmare, a movie about the making of a movie where Freddy is "real" where Freddy himself turns out to be real. Brilliant premise, great use of the returning actors from the earlier films, and Heather is just as good as herself as she was as Nancy. Really liked Dylan, too - including kids in horror movies is always a crapshoot, and I feel they drag down more movies than they help, but he puts in a good performance here.

I'll admit it feels a little limp, though. Not as many scares as there could have been, and those that are included didn't get me out of bed. Pretty long, too, clocking in just under two hours, and I don't feel like that time was used as well as it could have been. The meta humor, and meta analysis on horror in American society, is the highlight, and even then it's all done to better effect in Scream. This feels like a dry run in comparison.

And the real problem: I don't like the "new look" Freddy. Visually way too sterile, and even if he's more explicitly sinister than the classic version and a lot less jokey, he's somehow a lot less scary.

That being said though, the movies I've seen in the Elm Street series (1-3 and New Nightmare) are shockingly consistent. None of them knocked my socks off, but all solid films and no disappointments. I can see arguments for any of them as the "best" in the series, and that's a serious accomplishment - an 80s horror franchise where the good movies outweigh the bad ones? Well, unless you count the reboot...

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Black Sunday (1960)
62f16d7238fcea50eb602013bc26e687.png

Gothic horror at its finest. This is the film to showcase the formalist cinema craft about the composition, lighting and staging of every scene. The horrors of the Inquisition and consequences going through generations in the most gorgeuos chiaroscuro nightmare conceivable. Mario Bava is trully one of the greats and I took too long to watch his work!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood and Black Lace (1964)
MV5BMWFlYTY2NzAtMTM2Yi00ZDRlLWE5YWUtNmQ5OGZiMzNhYWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxMDQ0ODk@._V1_.jpg

My first giallo! Murders beautifully framed with strong colors and staging. Kind of ingenious to use a model studio as the main location, just adds to the artificiality of it all. The victims are just the mannequins of this visual extravaganza.
Also the intro is the coolest shit ever and every movie should have one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Bay of Blood (1971)
01000973.1.jpg

After surviving all these awful Friday the 13th it's fitting that I watch one of the proto slasher. All the elements are here, the horniness, gore, voyeurist POV, but what a difference to have actual talent and craft!
Nowhere near the full formalist approach of the previous Bava's that I've watched, but there's an actual sense of place and good imagery.
I kind of found the absurd ending perfect after all the twists leading to it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
bf0oX6N.jpg

63 - Wildling 3/5

This was alright but had the potencial to be a lot better imo. Reminds me a bit of Ginger Snaps with the whole cololation between puberty and lycantrophy, but Ginger pulled it off better in my opinion, certainly more interestinly. The opening is great, the ending is rgeat, but the middle part feels rished and doesn't have much going for it. Still enjoyable tho, and the actress is fine in the role.

Probable final list

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
24. Creature of the Black Lagoon (1954)

Onto yet another universal monster, but this time is from the 50s, and thus overall it has a nice sci-fi 50s feel, rather than the more gothic horror of earlier stuff.

I really like this film a lot. There are some interesting conflicts going on how to deal with the Gill-man, and it escalates pretty nicely once he appears more and the bodies start dropping. And then there is the design of Gill-man itself, which looks amazing and is iconic. Maybe it hasn't age too well when it's on land, but I feel like it is still on point underwater, as it hides in places, waiting to strike.

It is also basically special to me, because I went to a exhibit last year that had props for different universal monster films, and the highlight was definitely the gill-man suit in it's full glory. It was so good to see.

Lct9A0Q.jpg

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1: Dracula (1932, rewatch) ★★★★
2: The Final Girls (2015, NEW) ★★
3: Cannibal Apocalypse (1980, NEW) ★★★
4: Urban Legend (1998, NEW) ★★
5: Nightbooks (2021, NEW) ★★
6: Demons (1985, rewatch) ★★★★
7: Demons 2 (1986, NEW) ★★★
8: Tenebrae (1982, NEW) ★★
9: Deathgasm (2015, rewatch) ★★★★
10: From Hell (2001, NEW) ★★
11: Spontaneous (2020, NEW) ★★
12: Victor Frankenstein (2015, NEW) ★★
13: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, NEW) ★
14: Crimson Peak (2015, NEW) ★★★★
15: The Spiral Staircase (1946, NEW) ★★★
16: House of the Devil (2009, rewatch) ★★★★
17: Lifeforce (1985, NEW) ★★★
18: Draculas Daughter (1936, NEW) ★
19: The Craft (1996, NEW) ★
20: Censored (2021, NEW) ★★★
21: Waxwork (1988, NEW) ★★★★
22: Lake Mungo (2008, NEW) ★
23: Don't Breathe 2(2021, NEW) ★★★
24: Demon Knight (1995, NEW) ★★★★
25: Candyman (2021, NEW) ★★★
26: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010, NEW) ★★
27: Life (2017, NEW) ★★★
28: Cursed (2005, NEW) ★
29: Tales of Halloween (2015, NEW) ★★
30: Terrifier (2016, rewatch) ★★★★★
31: Halloween Kills (2021, NEW) ★★★

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
126. The Last Slumber Party 1987

Incoherent and aimless, kills are vapid, ending hilariously bad.

0.5 outta 5

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
30) Halloween Kills (2021)

UAdFOG5.jpeg

Haddonfield is a part of us all. A part of us all. A part of us all! Sorry to repeat myself but it'll help you remember better.

Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee the above quote actually appears in Halloween Kills. I can guarantee its sentiment does.

Previously on Ithil's 31 Days:
Now on to Halloween Kills. Given the highly mixed reception it's possible they balls up everything I praised here
Ah, me and my big mouth. Now, this film always occupied an awkward position, announced as the middle film of a trilogy. Slashers are hardly known for their in-depth stories, so the middle film could really only hope to keep to a holding pattern. You know going in that it's not going to have resolution and Laurie and Michael's final confrontation isn't going to happen til Halloween Ends. Considering that, I think Kills is in an impossible situation to begin with.

However, that doesn't give you license to write the screenplay while banging your head against any nearby sufficiently hard surfaces. Let's start with the good, because there is good, it's not a horrible film nor close to the worst sequel this franchise has put out. It continues to look and sound nice (though not quite as good as the first), Michael's actor does great work communicating a Michael who is angry and humiliated after his defeat in the last film, and they still refuse to give any insight into him. Characters offer theories but he's sure not talking. This is possibly the goriest film in the series, so for the gorehounds there is plenty to enjoy, and a hell of a bodycount at that. The flashbacks to 1978 are pretty cool and convincing.

But it is all very dumb. The screenplay has a central idea but it's suffocated in clunky dialogue that sounds oddly like cut up trailer dialogue, and relying on nearly every character to do the stupidest thing possible at any given time. Far from the mechanical silent killer in the last film, now Michael engages whole groups of people at once. He teeters once again on "invincible" rather than unstoppable, which isn't the same thing. Unstoppable Michael is scary, invincible Michael (as in 4, 5 and 6) is tiresome.

The gore is very impressive but it also borders on gleeful, which 2018 was not. Now there's nothing wrong with gleeful gore if that's the film you're making. Hey, I like Friday the 13th as well. But if it contradicts the film this you're making a direct sequel to, I question it. There's just a few too many deaths that feel like they're reveling in Michael's violence as opposed to horrifying (the latter would be his cruel murder of the elderly couple at the start, the former is the whole business in the park later).

The central mob story is heavyhanded and again, relies too much on everyone being stupid. Most of all, other than a glut of violence not a whole lot really happens, this isn't so much the middle chapter of a trilogy as it is an extended epilogue to the first half of a two part story.

I hope they can get back on track for Halloween Ends, and give a worthier sequel to 2018. I doubt it will be the last Halloween ever made, but it will certainly be the last tied directly to the 1978 original, and to feature Jamie Lee Curtis (I'm not expecting a Halloween H60 with Laurie in her 80s), so I hope they can cap it off well.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
25. The People Under The Stairs (1991)

Man, was this one a doozy. I didn't know what to expect, but this ended up being a R-rated child power film, that includes probably one of the worst couple I have seen on film haha. Like jeez what fucking psychos here, and "Daddy" wears this BDSM (?) suit I guess.

bb84db4460f45b08f3f4f0c2084613e6.jpg

These actors did a fantastic job at making me hate these characters. I also really like the main kid a lot, and it does feel quite refreshing to see a black kid take the lead and become quite a badass at the end even. The usage of pathways behind the walls also made this escape the house setting turn into a cool maze like situation as the kids take advantage of it to avoid the couple.

Overall it is a weird but pretty enjoyable film from the late Wes Craven. It's also one that should feel dated by now, but alas. It's also seems to be the most notable film from my birth year, so that's partly why I was interested, but I should see more Wes Craven flicks anyway.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #49 – Sleepy Hollow

34gsfHD.png

An old favourite that I haven't watched in many years, and it hasn't lost any of its entertainment value. I'd forgotten how amazing the cast is, with Michael Gambon and Miranda Richardson in particularly good form. I'd also forgotten how bloody the film gets, in a cartoony kind of way. Great fun. I feel like I should write more, but I've got one last movie to fit in tonight.

Score: 4 out of 5

Films I've watched so far

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
1. No One Gets Out Alive 3/5
2. The Final Girls 5/5
3. The Changeling 2/5
4. Slice 1/5
5. Halloween 1978 - Rewatch 4/5
6. Halloween 2018 3/5
7. SuperDeep 3/5
8. The Thing 2011 4/5
9. The Night Eats the World 4/5
10. Cam 4.5/5
11. Coherence - Rewatch 5/5
12. Day of the Dead 2/5
13. Post Mortem 3.5/5
14. Ditched 1/5
15. Candyman 3/5
16. Super Z 0/5
17. Spiral: From the book of Saw 2/5
18. Werewolves Within 3.5/5
19. Child's Play 2019 3/5
20. Meander 3/5
21. The Similars 3.5/5
22. The Purge 2.5/5
23. The Amusement Park 4/5

8L0jXk6.png

24. The Boy Behind the Door
A tense ride from the first moment to the last. Two friends are kidnapped and one spends his night in a game of cat and mouse to try and free the other and escape together. With incredible performances from both lead children it felt very real. The only mark I can take off it is that I felt the mid movie twist was unnessecary to hid from the viewer. It could have been presented from act 1 and the movie would have still worked. Oh I guess there are two marks I can take off because there was one scene where blood was being cleaned up and I thought that it was just cleaned up impossibly fast. Otherwise a fantastic ride though. 5/5

CU1ih1W.png

25. The Void
A sheriff brings an injured man to a barely staffed hospital. Quickly they are besieged by mysterious figures surrounding the hospital, monsters inside, and the dead not staying dead. Cosmic horror isn't done very often, and with good reason, it is hard to do. Despite the apparent low budget this film does capture the visuals usually associated with cosmic horror very well. It uses practical effects to great success. However its shaky script and poor performances really hurt the overall experience. As a cosmic horror fan it is worth watching for the visuals, but its not going to set the world on fire or anything. 2.5/5

0a7iptv.png

26. Carrie 1976

Carrie is so iconic at this point that it felt silly I had not seen it. I went in expecting a revenge story with the horror to kick off pretty fast. Instead I got a teenage drama until the final moments of the film. Honestly I have a hard time classifying it as a horror film at all (outside of the famous jump scare right at the end). Felt more like a tragedy then anything else. That said I did really enjoy it and I think the acting and special effects hold up really well. Was not expecting full frontal nudity within the first 2 minutes though. 4/5

UyVjU1v.png

27. The Room
A couple buys a rural house, while moving in the discover a mysterious room that can make anything they desire. Things get out of hand when they create a child. I felt it took a little to long to get to the meat of it, spending a little too much time on them just partying with this new found power. I did like that the movie never tried to explain how the room came to be or how it works. It is just left to the viewers imagination. Overall I did enjoy it but I think they could have pushed the concept further then they did. 3.5/5

v3GwHRY.png

28. Seance

At an all girls academy a seance is preformed and then girls start dying to the supposedly summoned ghost. It had a pretty good creepy vibe throughout, but ultimately the final twist turning it into a slasher film rather then a ghost film killed most of my good will towards it. 2.5/5

A80BO6h.png

29. Ouija: Origin of Evil

Man, directed & written by Mike Flanagan, who made some other good horror films like Hush, Oculus, & Geralds Game, and with pretty good critical reception, I was expecting a lot more then what we got. Characters felt 2 dimensional, the scares took way to long to get going and it just never felt like I should care about what was happening. I have also never wanted to criticize a film for being too bright before, but this was too bright. If they had darkened it more they would have been able to hide some of the more shoddy CGI and wire work that was used. A disappointment. 2/5

QllxDSG.png

30. Children of the Corn

Another classic I had never seen, but has been referenced so much in pop culture it felt silly not to see it. I was suprised to see how critically panned it was considering how well known it is. But having now watched it I understand why. The first 2 acts were great, a little cheesy but otherwise a fun creepy folk / cult horror story. But as soon as it hits the 3rd act and the really bad special effects kick in, and the creepy kids give up being creepy after one bad speech from the male lead, I just checked out and it was no longer fun. 2/5

One more film tonight, not sure what it will be yet.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
thefog-1980-poster_by_falconwhite.jpg

23. The Fog (1980)

Another classic I hadn't seen. Taut, atmospheric and spooky, with a superb Carpenter score whose synths perfectly compliment the growing unease as strange events befall a small coastal town on the eve of its centennary.

I was surprised by how little Jamie Lee Curtis was given to do, but Adrienne Barbeau is the true star of the movie, growing increasingly scared and isolated in her remote lighthouse but trapped by her sense of responsibility as the one person perfectly positioned to help the other townspeople escape the threat. The sense of menace as the titular fog rolls in, bringing with it ghouls and retribution, is palpable and chilling. The only black mark I'd give it is for the twist ending, which comes across as unnecessary and mean-spirited given what had just transpired.

8.5/10

111184_1_large.jpg

24. In the Earth (2021)

Amid the devastation wrought by an unspecified virus (which may be Covid but is implied to be even worse), a young scientist and a park ranger head for an isolated research outpost in the woods and get more than they bargained for.

I had high hopes for this one but while it starts off strong, the third act loses all coherence and becomes bogged down in exposition. Despite said exposition, the ending was, somehow, still completely lost on me. The movie sets up several interesting possible explanations for the central...entity? Phenomena? But doesn't follow through on any of them, choosing instead to give the viewer a migraine with about 15 minutes of flashing lights and hallucinogenic sequences in lieu of an actual conclusion.

It isn't without its merits - the forest provides for a wonderfully foreboding, atmospheric backdrop and it's never a bad thing when Reece Shearsmith is given the chance to chew some scenery - but I felt the film completely ran out of steam in the back half and didn't deliver on the intriguing setup.

5/10

93a0d76a57cf3dd75f73008822c79cbb84-31-the-innocents.rsquare.w700.jpg

25. The Innocents (1961)

This was great. Just a fantastically shot, creepy, old-fashioned ghost story with Deborah Kerr in top form as the repressed governess who comes to believe that her young charges are being taken over by the restless spirits of their former servants. But is that what's actually happening, or is it all in her head? Or perhaps some combination of both? The film's ambiguity is one of its strengths, never quite telling you too much but always leaving just enough room for any interpretation to be valid. The child actors in this are incredible too, and while today's audiences may be put off by the ponderous, deliberate pacing, I was utterly enthralled from start to finish.

9/10

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
30. The Wolf House

Claustrophobic, allegorical, creative bliss. At once mesmerizing as it is haunting. It does begin to get repetitive towards the middle, but stands as a unique piece of art. The stop motion collage of paint and paper meshing its characters together is worth the experience on its own. This story, or fable, would have made for a worthwhile film without this approach. It's beautiful and yet, disturbing. Especially when becoming aware of the real world incident it's commenting on.

8/10

Black Sunday (1960)
62f16d7238fcea50eb602013bc26e687.png

Gothic horror at its finest. This is the film to showcase the formalist cinema craft about the composition, lighting and staging of every scene. The horrors of the Inquisition and consequences going through generations in the most gorgeuos chiaroscuro nightmare conceivable. Mario Bava is trully one of the greats and I took too long to watch his work!

Blood and Black Lace (1964)
MV5BMWFlYTY2NzAtMTM2Yi00ZDRlLWE5YWUtNmQ5OGZiMzNhYWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxMDQ0ODk@._V1_.jpg

My first giallo! Murders beautifully framed with strong colors and staging. Kind of ingenious to use a model studio as the main location, just adds to the artificiality of it all. The victims are just the mannequins of this visual extravaganza.
Also the intro is the coolest shit ever and every movie should have one.

A Bay of Blood (1971)
01000973.1.jpg

After surviving all these awful Friday the 13th it's fitting that I watch one of the proto slasher. All the elements are here, the horniness, gore, voyeurist POV, but what a difference to have actual talent and craft!
Nowhere near the full formalist approach of the previous Bava's that I've watched, but there's an actual sense of place and good imagery.
I kind of found the absurd ending perfect after all the twists leading to it.

I wholeheartedly support your selection here.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
31. Come True (2021)

• Rating: 9 hypnagogic experiences out of 10

• Synopsis: "Looking for an escape from her recurring nightmares, a young woman submits to a university sleep study, but soon realizes she's become the conduit to a frightening new discovery."

hGPGRRz6FTIRed1zestdWrV2Iwd.jpg

SerVIaO.gif

31st and final movie! To celebrate, I decided to rewatch the most impactful horror I saw this year and a solid personal contender for movie of the year, Come True.

I love how the opening immediately sets the mood and tone for everything that is to come. The whole thing has this sort of very ethereal and dreamy quality, but with a real feeling of dread permeating everything. I already said this in another thread, but for tone imagine It Follows with a dash of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Possessor.

The nightmare sequences are absolutely terrifying with a real Silent Hill vibe. No matter how many times I watch this movie, some of them continue to chill me to the bone. And the music in this film is so amazing. The synth-pop score by Electric Youth is nothing short of breathtaking and helps so well in setting the mood. Modern Fear is such a great song.

I love this movie so much, and it has a lot to do with how the story is told. Without getting into spoilers, the ending makes you reconsider everything you just saw in such an impactful way. The first time I watched this movie my mind was completely blown. I'm still puzzled by the extreme negative reaction some are having with the ending, but it seems to stem from a complete misinterpretation of what it means (no, this is not all just a dream. Everything in this movie really happened to Sarah, just not in the way we were led to believe.) The film is divided into chapters, and the chapter titles are big clues about what's happening. One might have to dust off their Jungian psychology knowledge, though.

As an aside, I watched an interview with Anthony Scott Burns – the writer and director – where he said they filmed a lot of stuff that was meant to show how the protagonist got in the situation she's in at the beginning. But he ultimately decided not to include any of it because he felt it was spelling out everything way too much. I think if all of this had stayed in the film, some people maybe wouldn't have had such a strong negative reaction to the ending. But at the same time it would have made a significantly less interesting movie.

This film has clearly been designed for impactful multiple viewings. Actually, I think three viewings are required for this film. The first one to have the ending completely shatter our understanding of what we just saw, the second one to pick up new clues and to piece together what's really happening, and a third one to rewatch everything with the newly gained understanding of it all. All the clues necessary to fully understand what's happening are in the film, and they're discovered with the help of the new knowledge slowly gained from each viewing. I really think it's brilliant.

As more people will discover and rediscover this film over the years, I think it will develop a real cult following. At least I hope so. It really deserves it. It's a stunning movie.

oQN3IUk.gif

---

Other movies I watched this month:

Last edited:

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
1. Candyman (2021) 2/5
2. Lights out (2016) 4/5
3. SAW (2004) 3/5
4. Conjuring (2013) 4/5
5. Annabelle (2014) 5/5
6. Saw II (2005) 2/5
7. Saw III (2006): 4/5
8. Halloween (1978) 4.5/5
9. Haunt (2019) 3/5
10. Scream (1996) 5/5
11. Malignant (2021) 4/5
12 Saw IV (2007) 3/5
13. Conjuring 2 (2016) 4.5/5
14. Halloween (2018) 5/5
15. IT (2017) 5/5
16. Hallowewn Kills (2018) 1/5
17. IT 2 (2019) 3/5
18. Midsommar (2019) 4/5
19. Cabin in the woods (2012) 3/5[
20. Get Out 5/5
21. Annabelle Creation (2017) 4/5
22. Saw 5 3/5 (2008)
23. the Purge (2013) 5/5
24. Saw 6 (2009) 4/5
25. The Nun (2018) 2/5
26. Saw the Final Chapter (2009) 3/5
27. Purge Anarchy (2014) 2/5
28. The Curse of La Llorona (2019) 1/5
29. Jigsaw 2/5
30. The Shining (1980) 5/5
31. the Thing (1982) 3/5

31. the Thing (1982) 3/5

I know many people who rate this as the best horror ever. For me it is too vague and too 'old'? Maybe I went in with too high hopes

3/5
————

That concludes the 31 days for me. I will still watch the last 2 Conjuring universe movies and Spiral from the book of Saw. This year was for me many 'classics' and also manie series I just didn't see yet. That makes the list not that good because well 8 Saw movies for example is a bit much. Now I have seen many next year I wanna focus on really good one of movies. Maybe stuff like the first Scream and the Shining will make it of course but I want to watch a whole lot more original horror next year.

Favorites this year in no order at all:
Saw 3
Annabelle
Malignant
Scream
Get Out
The Shining

You do see many flaws with some movies when you watch THAT many in a month I must say.. And I also think sometimes my attention wasn't that good anymore like with the Thing I was a bit tired and unable to truly get into the movie.

This was fun to do though! See ya next year

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
127. Scream 1996

The definitive slasher

It is brilliant today as it was 25 years ago

A genuinely emotional opening, a brilliant final act.

This movie started my horror fanaticism 20 years ago, I will cherish it forever.

50000 outta 5

And that closes my run... I end up 3 up on my target pace (goal was an average of 4 a day)

But fall short, as I work tonight sadly, of one hundred and 31 in 31... next year's goal!

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
The only black mark I'd give it is for the twist ending, which comes across as unnecessary and mean-spirited given what had just transpired.
The six victims were the six descendants of the six original conspirators who killed Blake and the crew of the Elizabeth Dane, with Father Malone being the most obvious one since his grandfather was the head conspirator that left the diary. It's why Malone quietly says "Why not six?" right before Blake and his ghost crew return. The ghosts' goal wasn't to get their gold back, it was revenge.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
26. The Invisible Man (1933)

Last Universal Monster to look at, and this turned out better than I expected it to be. Starts off interesting with a cool looking design and then it gets pretty damn crazy. It was a joy seeing Griffin just losing it and creating such a ruckus in the countryside, while the police find ways to try catching someone they can't see. Just a fun ride to get through and some really great use of effects for the time showing the invisibility while still having the clothes on.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
33. WNUF Halloween Special

WNUF_Halloween_Special_cover.jpg

I love the accuracy and amount of world building in this movie. It looks so accurate and it's extremely well-done. As a foundation footage it's pretty interesting and definitely different. Taking advantage of the satanic panic and hair metal and all that.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film #50 – The VVitch

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

0Pu2krI.jpg

For many years, my favourite film has been either Alien or The Thing, depending on which one I have most recently watched. But I've seen The Witch enough times now to know that I have a third film in contention for the top spot, a third film I can never imagine getting bored of.

I love absolutely everything about this movie. The incredible period accurate language, the fabulous performances, the creepy intensity of the score, the bleak but beautiful visuals, the gripping, tragic story... it's all just amazing. And the ending is perfect.

Talking of endings, this was also the perfect way to finish my folk horror / period drama themed month. I can't believe October's over so soon, seems to go quicker every year. I'll have to come back tomorrow for a round up post, but I've watched four films today and now it's time for bed.

Happy Halloween!

Final watched list

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
30. Last Night in Soho (2021)

I was starting to worry that this wasn't going to be a horror movie, more of Midnight in Paris as a murder mystery, but it does turn the good old days into a living nightmare. The cinematography, visual effects, and sound design are great, and Edgar Wright has another hit on his hands.

Halloween Kills (2021)

A real step down from the 2018 movie. Jamie Lee Curtis is sidelined the whole movie. The story does take the novel approach of having groups of armed people take on Michael Meyers...and then the movie falls into the "people die because they are stupid" trope. The explanation does make me wonder how the final movie will turn out...but that will probably end up disappointing.

I do have to give it props for using the Silver Shamrock masks.

DonAntti

Mar 11, 2019
Finland
1. Fright Night 2011 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
2. Leprechaun Returns 2018 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
3. Ready or Not 2019 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
4. Insidious Chapter 3 2015 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
5. The Final Girls 2015 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
6. Apocalypse Domani 1980 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
7. His House 2020 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
8. Day Of The Dead: Bloodline 2018 (First watch) Rating: 1/10
9. No One Gets Out Alive 2021 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
10. Willy's Wonderland 2021 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
11. The Babysitter 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
12. The Babysitter: Killer Queen 2020 (First watch) Rating: 5/10
13. The Addams Family 1991 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
14. The Addams Family Values 1993 (Rewatch) Rating: 8/10
15. The Omen 1976 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
16. Muppets Haunted Mansion 2021 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
17. Frankenweenie 2012 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
18. Trauma 1993 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
19. Don't Torture A Duckling 1972 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
20. Terrified 2017 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
21. Wild Beasts 1984 (First watch) Rating: 6/10
22. Grizzly 1976 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
23. Day Of The Animals 1977 (First watch) Rating: 4/10
24. The Void 2016 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
25. Splice 2009 (First watch) Rating: 7/10
26. Tale Of Two Sisters 2003 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
27. Train To Busan 2016 (First watch) Rating: 8/10
28. Audition 1999 (First watch) Rating: 9/10
29. Ichi the Killer 2001 (First watch) Rating: 10/10

Happy 60th birthday Peter Jackson! There were some theatrical showings of Jacksons' early works in my neck of the woods.

MV5BNmU5YzQyODEtZjY4MC00ZDA2LTk1YTItZmNiN2MyMWU3MGUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_.jpg

30. Bad Taste 1987 (Rewatch)

- Aliens are in town...Better call the boys! A small-budget splatter comedy with a nice level of gore. Some of the special effects are on the cheaper side, but honestly, it just adds to the charm of this film. Bad Taste is the type of b-movie that you either find to be the most hilarious thing you've ever watched or the lamest thing ever. Personally, I still find the movie hilarious, but hey maybe I just have Bad Taste.

Rating: 9/10

I did also see Meet The Feebles between the two horror films. I still enjoyed that one too.

8ppAsvY7HPoNzNvAmkgjx7FTRpw.jpg

31. Braindead 1992 (Rewatch)

- A woman gets bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey that starts some zombie trouble. At its heart, Braindead is a cute little love story between a young woman and a young man who is manipulated by his mother. It's also extremely funny and gory splatter comedy. The characters are really enjoyable and the special effects are mostly really good. Honestly Braindead is one of the greatest horror comedies ever made and it still holds up great. You could say that it still kicks ass for the lord.

Rating: 10/10

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Summary post:

Films watched: 31
New watches: 30

Formats:
Blu-ray: 4
Dvd: 6
Cinema: 5
Streaming: 16
Streaming platforms used: Netflix (7 films), Plex (3), Mubi (2), HBO Max (2), Kirjastokino (2)

Country of origin:
USA: 17 films
Japan and UK: 3 films
Norway: 2 films
Australia, Canada, Finland, Iceland, Italy and Uruguay: 1 film

Top 8 new watches:
1. The Juniper Tree
2. Cure
3. The Invisible Man
4. The Nightingale
5. Tales from the Crypt
6. Ichi The Killer
7. The Man Who Laughs
8. The Trip

Bottom 5:
1. The Astro-Zombies
2. Orgy of the Dead
3. Creature from the Haunted Sea
4. Scoob!
5. Willy's Wonderland

It would be cool to do 31 films from 31 countries next year but that would require much more planning than what I have done for these things usually.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1 - RE-ANIMATOR ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2 - DEEP RED ⭐⭐⭐⭐
3 - TROMA'S WAR ⭐⭐
4 - DEAD HEAT ⭐⭐⭐
5 - V/H/S/94 ⭐⭐⭐
6 - ANGEL ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7 - MAYHEM ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8 - HOGZILLA ⭐⭐
9 - HALLOWEEN (1978) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
10 - HALLOWEEN (2018) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
11 - BRIDE OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
12 - TERROR TRAIN ⭐⭐⭐
13 - SEED OF CHUCKY ⭐⭐⭐
14 - SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 2 ⭐⭐⭐
15 - HALLOWEEN KILLS ⭐⭐⭐
16 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER 2 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
17 - HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN ⭐⭐⭐
18 - SUSPIRIA ⭐⭐⭐⭐
19 - CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST ⭐⭐⭐
20 - FRANKENHOOKER ⭐⭐⭐
21 - HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY ⭐
22 - SOCIETY ⭐⭐⭐⭐
23 - CLASS OF 1984 ⭐⭐⭐
24 - MUPPETS HAUNTED MANSION ⭐⭐
25 - WOLF COP ⭐⭐⭐⭐
26 - CHOPPING MALL ⭐⭐⭐
27 - THE STUFF ⭐⭐⭐
28 - BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS ⭐⭐⭐⭐
29 - PUMPKINHEAD ⭐⭐⭐⭐
30 - FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II ⭐⭐⭐

31 - WILLY'S WONDERLAND ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This movie reminded me how much beauty there is in the world.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
31 Days of Horror ranked:

1. Last Night in Soho
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Master
3. Dead & Buried
4. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
6. [REC]
7. Kwaidan
8. Evil Dead (2013)
9. Dracula's Daughter
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
11. A Quiet Place Part II
12. Son of Frankenstein
13. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
14. Midsommar
15. House of Frankenstein
16. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
17. A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child
18. Ghost of Frankenstein
19. Land of the Dead
20. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
21. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
22. Halloween Kills
23. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
24. House of Dracula
25. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
26. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
27. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
28. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
29. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
30. Jason X
31. Halloween: Resurrection

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My final haul for this year along with their spookies scores. I got two small kids and a demanding career so this was the best I could do this year but I may try to sneak one more in tonight if I can before Halloween is officially over.

1. Midnight Mass - 5 out of 5 spookies
2. Lights Out - 5 out of 5 spookies
3. The Taking of Deborah Logan - 4 out of 5 spookies
4. Blair Witch (2016) - 3 out of 5 spookies
5. The Void - 3 out of 5 spookies
6. Oculus - 3 out of 5 spookies
7. Grave Encounters - 3 out of 5 spookies
8. Hush - 3 out of 5 spookies
9. VHS '94 - 2 out of 5 spookies
10. Dead Silence - 1 out of 5 spookies

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Well I made it two 31 as of now and will watch atleast a couple more tonight. Definitely found some stand-outs from this thread.

1. Jakob's Wife 3/5 -- entertaining/funny
2. As Above, So Below 2/5 -- it was compared to The Descent but I didn't find the movie all that suspenseful.
3. The Power 2/5
4. Sator 1.5/5 -- In trying to be "mysterious", it cuts any tension as you don't care about the characters or have any sense of the "stakes"
5. Possessor 3.5/5 -- Solid movie, the "horror" primarily comes from the gore though
6. Hunter Hunter 3.5/5 -- predictable but was well done I think.
7. Dead Silence 1/5 -- Kind of similar to a Conjuring movie but with absolute zero understanding of horror?
8. The Dark 3/5 -- not really scary/horror but interesting.
9. Evil Dead (remake) 3.5/5
10. Unborn 0.5/5 -- sucked. I guess the high amazon score was from the panty shots....
11. Superhost 2/5 -- interesting premise; It just feels off.
12. Halloween (2018-rewatch) 5/5 -- love this movie
13. Halloween Kills 3.5/5 -- I'm ready to love it, but they really need to cut the dialogue in half and plan better?
14. The Cleansing Hour 2/5
15. Seance 3/5
16. The Thing (rewatch) 5/5
17. The Empty Man 2.5/5 -- not really scary. One scene reminded of Kill List so that's cool
18. V/H/S/94 1/5 -- had to read the wikipedia page to remind myself what even happened.
19. Werewolves Within 3/5 -- a bit predictable but it was fun.
20. The Last Exorcism 3/5
21. Oculus 3.5/5
22. Malignant 3/5 -- just had a good time watching it.
23. Sweetheart 2.5/5 -- was pretty solid just wish there was more done with whole abyss deal.
24. Sea Fever 2/5
25. I See You 3.5/5
26. Dave Made a Maze 2.5/5 -- funny I guess and interesting ride.
27. Ouija: Origin of Evil 3/5
28. Ouija 2/5
29. Shutter 3.5/5 -- lol at the neck pain.
30. Ginger Snaps 2.5/5 -- solid werewolf movie with a fun twist
31. The Craft 2.5/5

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
A1lU4ylIlRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

26. The Evil Dead (1981)(Rewatch)
27. Evil Dead II (1987)(Rewatch)
28. Army of Darkness (1992)(Rewatch)

I remember being obsessed with this series when I was around 12 years old, but for whatever reason I hadn't rewatched it for around 20 years until now. Luckily it was just as crazy, entertaining and gory as I'd remembered. What I had forgotten, though, is the absurd shift in tone between the three movies. Going from the relative seriousness of the first film to the utter insanity seen in AoD was definitely a ride, but strangely I think it actually works, just like Ash believably developing from a pretty straight-laced horror protagonist to a man teetering on the brink of sanity and being SO DONE with this shit. There really aren't enough superlatives to describe Bruce Campbell's performances here.

TED - 7/10
EDII - 8/10
AoD - 7/10

MV5BNzk1OGU2NmMtNTdhZC00NjdlLWE5YTMtZTQ0MGExZTQzOGQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

29. Halloween (1978)(Rewatch)

What's to say that hasn't been said already? A bona fide classic. Suspenseful, scary, wonderful cinematography (all those long tracking shots really add to the rising tension), generally well-acted, with Jamie Lee Curtis the quintessential final girl and Myers a ruthless, terrifying villain who hasn't yet begun to stretch the boundaries of credibility.

9/10

21936395c4a291056bf31563f96a828014baf891_hq.jpg

30. Halloween 2 (1981)

Honestly, pretty uninspired and unnecessary, but not the huge drop in quality I'd been led to believe. It's a shame Laurie is sidelined for so long (and that wig was certainly a choice), but the night-time hospital makes for a brilliantly atmospheric setting and there are still some good scares and kills here. That twist (you know the one) was a massive misstep, and I'm glad the rebooted series chose to ignore it.

7/10