• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Apparently users which could launch and play Halo Infinite aren't able to do so anymore because one of the latest patches enforced the requirement of having a 4gb Vram GPU in order to play the game.
The result is having the Steam forum plenty of people who purchased the game, played it, and now they can't play it anymore.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to play Forge maps at all since they started incorporating them in playlists. The game shows up an error message everytime a Forge map starts to load and the game freezes, so eh. Game has been borked for me since December.

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
Apparently users which could launch and play Halo Infinite aren't able to do so anymore because one of the latest patches enforced the requirement of having a 4gb Vram GPU in order to play the game.
The result is having the Steam forum plenty of people who purchased the game, played it, and now they can't play it anymore.
Huh? 4gb of vram has been the miminum requirement since the very beginning. I remember at launch my friend with a 1050 2gb couldnt launch it because of that. I wonder if something changed at some point.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The minimum requirements mention 4 GB GPUs...

Looking at the GPU_Nvidia.cfg under the game folder > data > hardware, the 1060 3GB and 1050 are labeled "NotCompatible". Maybe changing that to Low would launch the game.. idk

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My budget laptop with an integrated GPU used to be able to run the first game relatively well, even with the updated environments. Something changed last fall I think that made it run at like 1 frame per 30 seconds, lol, so I haven't gone back to it.

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Huh? 4gb of vram has been the miminum requirement since the very beginning. I remember at launch my friend with a 1050 2gb couldnt launch it because of that. I wonder if something changed at some point.
Yup but it seems this thing started to happen with the latest patch, since people could play the game before and now they can't.

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
Yup but it seems this thing started to happen with the latest patch, since people could play the game before and now they can't.
I think pple who were able to play were prob circumventing it somehow, cus since the beta from november 2021 u werent supposed to be able to play it with less than 4gb. U can even find reddit post from pple asking if theres a trick to get around it somehow.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That's a bummer but if they never touted it as something that would work on your hardware, I can't really get behind being upset with them over this. The fact that the minimum specs were what they were meant this was always possible. Essentially, you played with fire and got burned. I hope for you (and anyone else who may be in the same boat) that this changes and you can play the game again but if you're hardware is below their minimum specs they are not obligated to keep the game working for you as the game wasn't meant to work for you to begin with. It would be nice if they did get it working for you folks again since it technically worked before, but they made what the required specs were to play the game known and you bought it anyway, so this is kind of on you.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Am I remembering right that the system requirements always listed 4GB as the minimum VRAM (starting back in 2021)?

This is a mild bummer in practical terms, it's part of the risks of buying games (especially games with long support tails) out-of-spec.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Locking a game behind minimum system requirements is uncalled for. Simply showing a warning message to let the user know the rig is out of spec should be enough.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
This is really shitty to see. Had a pretty great time playing the multiplayer with friends on a GTX 1050 so seeing that I just can't now absolutely sucks. Why couldn't they just keep the warning on launch that you could ignore?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think this update may just be a case of the engine relying on enough baseline VRAM that the actual minimum is finally in play. Because it's corresponding with some meaningful engine updates for Season 3 (re: new shadow options/interface/shader pre-loads for Forge), I wouldn't assume it's an artificial lockout so much as a practical one.