MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Picture this;

j95nr9f6ja391.png
Halo Infinite co-op launches, and it's announced that secondary players will carry over their Spartans from Multiplayer. The same day of release, the Mark VI Gen 3 armor core (Master Chief's unique armor set) is released, as well as a Blue Team Armor Kit pack in the store for somewhere around $15-$25. This pack includes Fred, Kelly and Linda, and Master Chief himself.

The Master Chief's armor hasn't been available to use in multiplayer since 2007, if I remember correctly. I'm sure that quite a few people would like the option of using the actual armor in multiplayer, and being that this is a F2P game, I could see this being an easy tactic to get people to open their wallets.

The Blue Team Armor would be set as a kit, so they could still lock away all of the different individual pieces in a season pass or one of those events they've been doing, like Cyber Showdown.

This would also allow people to play as their own customized Spartans, or members or Noble Team, or whatever other legacy characters that they add in the future. It would add a bit more visual variety when watching people's different play throughs of campaign co-op. It could also work well with the machinima crowd if they ever have a campaign theater mode added.

The reason for this thread is that based on the latest preview from 343, it looks to be the standard where every added player is another Master Chief. I actually enjoyed the variety of characters we had in Halo 3, or Halo 5.

CoOp-0.jpg

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Infinite – Campaign Network Co-Op Preview

<p>Learn more about Halo Infinite’s upcoming Campaign Network Co-Op flight and Mission Replay.</p>

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
If there is one thing 343 is good at it is missing an oppurtunity

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's easy to criticize 343, but i admit that they are pretty good when it comes to missing opportunities. Best in the business, even. (Might be on their lier, but probably not a priority for them atm)

Last edited:

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I figure they might make an appearance in future DLC that isn't master chief based.

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Here's to hoping that if it's too late for something like this to happen, it's something they can look into down the line. I would hope they try to strike while the iron is somewhat hot though. I did a poll recently and the enthusiasm towards even playing co-op is extremely split, at least here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Player 2 being Arbiter was a small, but very satisfying touch to Halo 3's campaign. Yeah, it'd be a good idea to keep Player 2 unique. I can't imagine any situation where it'd be better for them to just be a clone of Chief.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust 343 to do anything right at this point.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a little mean-spirited to come up with this feature that 343 never promised, and then criticize them with excessive snark and sarcasm for not including it. Talking about a few of the above posters. Not the OP.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This seems a little mean-spirited to come up with this feature that 343 never promised, and then criticize them with excessive snark and sarcasm for not including it. Talking about the above posters. Not the OP.
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that 343 has messed up a lot in a lot of ways, but it's becoming a sort of reflex action to just rag on them for not delivering everything perfectly which is a bit unreasonable. I agree that this is a missed opportunity, but there are many missed opportunities in even my favorite games. This isn't something they did 'wrong' even if customized player avatars would be a nice feature.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Missing opportunities is 343i's forte.

That being said they have other priorities at the moment to worry about.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of the campaign is that Chief is the only Spartan left on the ring. 343i is all about maintaining that. Now in whatever the next campaign is? I'm expecting campaign co-op to include MP Spartans with some sort of narrative support that Chief isn't necessarily alone anymore.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of the campaign is that Chief is the only Spartan left on the ring. 343i is all about maintaining that. Now in whatever the next campaign is? I'm expecting campaign co-op to include MP Spartans with some sort of narrative support that Chief isn't necessarily alone anymore.
I think that's a disingenuous reason. Chief is alone, but he has a 3 clones of him running around that are somehow invisible to everyone else? I think we can acknowledge that any version of the co-op campaign is going to be non-canonical by it's nature. That being the case, why not have each Spartan bring their own armor?

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Only reason why they couldn't would be because of base xbox one.

That said, anyone playing on that model could be forced to have default chief in coop due to memory.

Oct 27, 2017
But having 4 Master Chiefs running around doesn't really make that any less of a narrative problem anyway. In fact, it's worse. May as well let some customization in.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
That would be cool, but don't expect 343 to do more than the bare minimum. A functional studio may be a different story.

After Halo MCC, Halo 5 campaign, Halo Infinite and the awful TV show, It's hard to be excited anymore for Halo as long as 343 are in charge.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a disingenuous reason. Chief is alone, but he has a 3 clones of him running around that are somehow invisible to everyone else? I think we can acknowledge that any version of the co-op campaign is going to be non-canonical by it's nature. That being the case, why not have each Spartan bring their own armor?
But having 4 Master Chiefs running around doesn't really make that any less of a narrative problem anyway. In fact, it's worse. May as well let some customization in.
That's still 4 of the same character and literally the reason 343i gave

There have been lots of different flavors to Campaign Co-Op in Halo in the past. In some entries, you're a squad of Master Chiefs (or Arbiters), whereas in others, additional characters are present. What approach does Halo Infinite take to campaign co-op here and why?

Mulkey: In Halo Infinite, everyone is Chief while playing Campaign Co-Op.

This is in support of the goal that Co-Op allows players to play their campaigns together. All progress made is progress kept in the Campaign regardless of it being Solo or Co-Op play, so in both (much like in Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 4), Chief is Chief making his way through Zeta Halo.

Dec 11, 2017
This is one of those things I'd like to see added but not before they address things like the facial animation and just making sure co-op works.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that's like...obviously marketing speak. If there was enough demand for it and it was high priority enough, I can promise you that they would implement this, and just say "It's still John 117, just an alternate reality version that has him wearing different armor" if they needed a reason for it or whatever, or just plainly say "It's the Master Chief, but we allow for armor variation as for purposes of fun". Whatever, the excuse can be whatever it needs to be.

Because otherwise...If you take this at face value, then you're saying that they are restricting a fun and well liked feature in order to adhere to an abstracted idea of canon that cannot be literal (because, again, you'd ahve multiple instances of chief existing). That would be.....just plain stupid.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that's like...obviously marketing speak. If there was enough demand for it and it was high priority enough, I can promise you that they would allow this, or just say "It's still John 117, just an alternate reality version that has him wearing different armor" or whatever. If you take this at face value, then you're saying that they are restricting a fun and well liked feature in order to adhere to an abstracted idea of canon that cannot be literal (because, again, you'd ahve multiple instances of chief existing). That would be.....just plain stupid.
Again, it's 343i literally everything they do has to make sense to the lore and to them 4 Chiefs makes more sense than 1 Chief and 3 random Spartans the story says don't exist on the ring. Even Fracture events are given context as to why they fit in, it's been like this since MCC back in 2013 and didn't change in 5 or Infinite.

MP Spartans will show up for a new campaign and not a moment sooner because they're holding to the story they wrote for the base game in Infinite. It is what it is.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's 343i literally everything they do has to make sense to the lore and to them 4 Chiefs makes more sense than 1 Chief and 3 random Spartans the story says don't exist on the ring. Even Fracture events are given context as to why they fit in, it's been like this since MCC back in 2013 and didn't change in 5 or Infinite.

MP Spartans will show up for a new campaign and not a moment sooner because they're holding to the story they wrote for the base game in Infinite. It is what it is.
So what's their lore explanation for 4 instances of master chief running around at the same time?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So what's their lore explanation for 4 instances of master chief running around at the same time?
They don't need one, it's just 4 Chiefs. Just like it was in CE/2/3/4(with some exceptions with narrative driven things like the Arbiter being around or playing as Elites in H2 as the additional players). Halo 5 was built with 8 different Spartans that changed from mission to mission.

The only game that's had MP specific Spartans was Reach because Noble 6 was essentially just the player and whatever armor you were wearing, not a story about an individual Spartan like the Chief.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I dont know. They must not recognize anything except story moments. Maybe it makes more sense to them that a chief clone gets the upgrade or activates the next cutscene than a spartant that doesnt exist.

I think its dumb lol.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
They don't need one, it's just 4 Chiefs. Just like it was in CE/2/3/4/5 (with some exceptions with narrative driven things like the Arbiter being around or playing as Elites in H2 as the additional players).

The only game that's had MP specific Spartans was Reach because Noble 6 was essentially just the player and whatever armor you were wearing, not a story about an individual Spartan like the Chief.
If they can just not have an explanation because 4 chiefs running around is a non-canonical event that is only meant to function as a gameplay feature, they can do the same exact thing with 3 other Spartans.

"Why are these other spartans here?" They're not, it's just a gameplay thing, ignore them whenever you're doing story stuff. I understand that you're not necessarily defending this, just trying to explain 343i's rationale...but it's a bad rationale lol

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

This is silly though. There are still multiple Chiefs running around lol.

Don't get me wrong: 343 shouldn't be criticized for not including this. They obviously have enough things they're working on with this game. But that reasoning doesn't make sense.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
343 doesn't have time for this. I don't want to know the headache they must have trying to have this game run 4 player open world coop on Vanilla Xbox One/One S,One X,/PC/Cloud/Series S/X. I be shock if they actually pull it off TBH.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
We'll be lucky if we even get co-op at this point.
This. OP's post could have ended after "Picture this; Halo Infinite co-op launches" It is a cool idea though.

I was so pumped to play this game through in co-op. Have avoided the campaign since the game launched (um 8 months ago?) so I could play through it with a friend. At some point though folks are just going to quit caring, and I feel like I'm approaching that point.

Maybe I'm alone but I kinda doubt it. And I feel like perhaps that's 343s plan... just delay it and delay it until the folks who really wanted it have given up.

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, it just doesn't make any difference. I don't mean this towards you, but I really don't care that that's the reason they gave. By the very definition of cooperative, Chief isn't the only Spartan on the ring, and making them all look exactly like him changes absolutely nothing about that, regardless of whether or not they're choosing to double down on that reason.

So that being the case, why not let people tweak how they look? You could even give people more of an opportunity to spend money on cosmetics. Just seems like a layup from any other perspective than the one that they're taking. You don't need to change the cut scene or the story for it, you don't need to give them lines or personalities, but there's no reason not to let people customize their look if you're just gonna have four Spartans running around anyway.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It would be cool to see and a lot more interesting with all the cosmetic pick-ups on the map. Sadly, we all know it'll never happen.

It always feels like Halo is spread pretty thin.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
343 doesn't have time for this. I don't want to know the headache they must have trying to have this game run 4 player open world coop on Vanilla Xbox One/One S,One X,/PC/Cloud/Series S/X. I be shock if they actually pull it off TBH.
They could just skip co-op for XBO consoles imo. Everyone who's active in the Xbox ecosystem has already at least got a series S at this point. One could make a compelling argument that they should have skipped XBO with the game in the first place. And if it truly is a 10 year game they would be stupid to not drop platforms at some point.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe nobody else wants this, but I feel like the next Halo should take inspiration from games like Borderlands. I know plenty of people still are about Master Chief but I think the game would just be more fun if it was designed around co-op. With unique characters to choose from that can be fully customized. The open world in Infinite was so dull. I think the interconnected areas in Borderlands would allow the game to offer more variety while still giving you plenty of freedom to explore and use all of the cool vehicles in Halo.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Lol they were always gonna get criticized on this, either way. Oh well.

I think it's probably either a narrative choice or a far more complex technical limitation than we realize. If it's a narrative choice, fine. The whole story revolves around Chief being alone and perhaps being the last Spartan once again. Forced into this strained on again-off again relationship with the pilot and the weapon. The idea that he actually just has 3 other Spartans just chilling there is kinda weird. But I agree it would be cool to have the option of using your custom spartan. (Perhaps since cutscenes are run in-game, they don't want Cat Ears McGee being the one to take down Bassus.)

But, perhaps it's a technical limitation, where MC is an entirely different custom class of thing, that relies on very specific models being in specific places, that might interfere with customized armor now or in the future or something in cosmetic or even functional ways. Who knows.

If it's a technical limitation, hopefully they figure it out. If it's by design, fine. It is what it is.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
It could be interesting if each player could see themselves as Chief, and everyone else as their MP characters. That reminds me, wasn't it America's Army that always had the player see their team as the U.S. forces, and the enemy as the terrorists?