• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
As mentioned in The Verge article detailing the new firmware update: https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/29/22599593/sony-ps5-m2-ssd-support-beta-features

"Aside from M.2 SSD support, this latest PS5 beta software also includes 3D audio support for built-in TV speakers. This will be available in the sound menu in the PS5's console system settings, and the feature uses the DualSense controller to measure the acoustics of a room to apply a 3D audio setting."

A good portion of ResetEra are likely using headphones or have some more elaborate sound-setup w/surround etc., but 3D sound from your average built-in TV speakers should be a cool boon for many gamers. And it's cool that they went the length to utilize the DualSense's built-in microphone(s) for optimizing the experience.

In other words, PS5 Tempest 3D sound is now available for:
Headphones (will always be the gold standard in providing precise spatial sound)
Built-in TV-speakers/stereo-systems
Surround/multi-channel systems - TBD (2022? currently equivalent to PS4 surround)

Last edited:

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
using controller to measure acoustics? that sounds like some super advanced futuristic shit.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly a stupid question, but if you've already got a surround sound system, presumably you're already getting the full experience and don't need to wait on Sony to patch/improve anything?

I've also got atmos/height channels, does the ps5 make use of these?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly a stupid question, but if you've already got a surround sound system, presumably you're already getting the full experience and don't need to wait on Sony to patch/improve anything?

For binaural/positional/'3d audio', that doesn't support surround sound systems yet AFAIK. That's on the roadmap. Initially it was only supported on headphones, now headphones plus stereo TV speakers, in the future multi-channel setups.

If a game uses regular surround sound tracks etc, then I presume that works as it did on PS4.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Someone correct me if I am wrong... But I can now get "3D Sound" through my TV speakers but I still can't get 3D sound through my Atmos sound system?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Someone correct me if I am wrong... But I can now get "3D Sound" through my TV speakers but I still can't get 3D sound through my Atmos sound system?

My TV has a dolby atmos supported TV speaker (LG OLED65G7V), so it's a TV with a very large soundbar. It should work on any sound system, but I think there won't be any mapping from 3D audio to the Atmos spec, but it merely detects the possible no. of channels/formats via HDMI (the specs shows during your audio set-up) and translates it that way. I don't own a PS5 yet, but I'm imagining it could happen this way.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
My TV has a dolby atmos supported TV speaker (LG OLED65G7V), so it's a TV with a very large soundbar. It should work on any sound system, but I think there won't be any mapping from 3D audio to the Atmos spec, but it merely detects the possible no. of channels/formats via HDMI (the specs shows during your audio set-up) and translates it that way. I don't own a PS5 yet, but I'm imagining it could happen this way.

I think it's probably only mapping to two speakers right now. IIRC in the initial road to ps5 presentation they flagged stereo and multi-channel support as two separate milestones on their roadmap. But... I hope getting it to work with just two speakers does a lot of the hard work necessary to getting it to work with multi channel setups, so hopefully support for arbitrary speaker counts won't be too far behind now.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 only supports virtualized 3D sound.
It cannot output to discrete height channels in games via Atmos/DTS:X/Auro3D, etc.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
For all the people who have ceiling speakers, you should try the Dolby upmixer with some Sony games. I have no idea how it can work so well, but e.g. in Ratchet you get pretty accurate 3D sound when something flies above you and stuff like that.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Basically doing the same stuff my A90J does. It uses the TV remote to do the same thing and has 3D audio on the speakers inside the TV plus the entire TV can work as a center channel if you wanted it to. I wouldn't though.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Really interested in hearing opinions on how well this works, especially when there's multiple people in the room.
I suspect it'll sound good for the person holding the controller and increasingly worse/odd for anyone else in the room depending on distance from the controller.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's probably only mapping to two speakers right now. IIRC in the initial road to ps5 presentation they flagged stereo and multi-channel support as two separate milestones on their roadmap. But... I hope getting it to work with just two speakers does a lot of the hard work necessary to getting it to work with multi channel setups, so hopefully support for arbitrary speaker counts won't be too far behind now.

Oh yeah, you're totally right, Cerny mentions that in 47:36 in "The road to PS5".

Yeah, hope multi-channel support comes quickly. I imagine like HDR people will have widely different experiences, really wonder how much "enhanced" it will sound on TV speakers.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Really interested in hearing opinions on how well this works, especially when there's multiple people in the room.
I suspect it'll sound good for the person holding the controller and increasingly worse/odd for anyone else in the room depending on distance from the controller.

People will just have to share a chair and sit on each others laps. Playstation is bringing people together.

Oct 28, 2017
Curious to hear how it sounds. I've moved over to head phones for ps5 because the audio experience is that much better with 3D audio so here's to hoping I can enjoy gaming with my booming tv setup again. Wonder if the difference will be noticable on a soundbar setup?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Wonder if it will work better than headset 3d audio, even with high end headphones 3d audio never sounded better than with it off.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Does this not throw out the HRTF side of things Tempest was originally being marketed around?

My LG tv supports something similar with the remote, but cool to see these 'custom' options relevant to people's living spaces are becoming more widespread.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
That's a cool idea but I hope people won't expect too much out of mediocre, backwards-firing speakers when it comes to 3D audio

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I hope this means HDMI devices are getting 3D support, up till now only way to get 3d audio was either from USB audio or the Dualsense controller.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is great.

Also sounds similar to what Sonos do if you have an iPad/iPhone and use trueplay to set up the audio based on your room.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Nice for those that use their TV audio, but please just let me use the headphone signal over HDMI, so I can truly use ANY headphones, without the DS compression.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

The PS5 does not make use of atmos/height channels. And it won't unless it starts supporting different audio formats like Atmos, DTS:X or Auro3D.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Should work fine for my setup. PS5 to hdmi audio extractor to headphone dac/amp. It'll be nice to have this option.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Nice for those that use their TV audio, but please just let me use the headphone signal over HDMI, so I can truly use ANY headphones, without the DS compression.

That'd be nice. The update notes mention a couple of other improvements - the ability to move the sample sound source from left to right while picking a 3D profile, to optimise the profile, and changes to improve audio quality for 'some games' with 3D audio over headphones, so hopefully a better experience might be possible in the meantime.

I'm going to be shocked if this sounds great. I've loved the 3D audio stuff with pretty much any set of headphones I've used, though.

The one reason I'd like to use this over headphones is to see what I'm missing with regard to audio cues from the DS speaker. Being able to enjoy either 3D audio over headphones OR the extra dimension of audio with the dualsense speaker, but not both together, has felt like an unfortunate compromise. It'd be nice if the TV audio experience was good enough to get the best of both, but yeah, it's going to presumably be an even bigger challenge than getting 3D audio to work well with headphones.