• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I guess at the end of the day it was pointless, but it was always fun to carry my 3DS around on vacation or at a convention, then turn it on at night and see how many fellow 3DS owners I came across. They should bring it back to newer handhelds.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess at the end of the day it was pointless
One could say this about all video games.

Streetpass was truly something magical, but as someone who lived in a somewhat rural place at the launch of the 3DS, it didn't do much for me. That said, once I had moved to a larger urban centre, it really started making sense and I fell in love with it. I wish they would bring it back, or at least make some sort of mobile version, though I'm sure there would be privacy concerns involved with that.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who takes public transportation in a big city every day, and with the popularity of the Switch, I REALLY wish streetpass was still a thing.

Plus going to PAX East every year was like hitting the streetpass lottery.

Zioman

Oct 30, 2017
I loved it! The digital handshake between likeminded people, ability to play mini-games using their Miis...
Even PlayStation wanted to emulate that with near on PS Vita.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I was a fan. I'm pretty sure I got fewer than five connections that weren't my brothers over the entire life of the system, and it ate battery life in sleep mode.

Jun 10, 2019
Street Pass was only entertaining if you lived near people who had 3DS'es or a major metropolitan area.

I lived near NYC so I'd take trips into the city often and come back with loads of Street Passes.

I also liked street passing my friends and leaving offensive messages to them.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
In NYC Street Pass was a bonanza... I played through and got every mini game, puzzle pieces... everything.

I loved it - because at some point, on your commute path, you'd recognize that you were getting the same Mii characters visiting... so you could send messages. One day, I figured out that the barista nearby was the guy I was passing with - he was like my go to character in the RPGs. Eventually told him and we had a good laugh because he loved getting my character.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. It was exciting to see people's Miis from other parts of the world, and slowly finishing puzzles was fun too. I also liked that you could get data for games like Fire Emblem through it, to challenge people's units.

... buuuut it was kind of difficult to find people unless you went to busy places, and now, it's basically impossible unless you go to a convention or use mods. I wish they would have brought it back on Switch.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
As spread out as LA is, when you went to a convention center or amusement park, man it would go crazy. The one bad thing was the drain on the battery.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
There was a dude who lived in my apartment complex I got maybe 60 or 70 hits with. Then he must've moved away.

It was useless, but still kinda neat.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I walked around center Amsterdam and transit but never got any hits. I guess walking around with a 3Ds wasn't as common here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The Mii Plaza games were genuinely great. Find Mii 1 & 2, Mii Force, and Monster Manor are standouts. Ultimate Angler, Flower Town, Battleground Z, and the smaller games they released for the last wave of DLC are also pretty neat.

The only game I think is actually bad is Warrior's Way. That game had 0 depth to it.

And of course, I was able to complete every puzzle. Felt pretty good about that.

My only regret is that I never got to fill up the whole of the continental US map. :<

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it was very amusing to see my face shine bright when I saw that glowing dot on my 3DS only to find that it's just the gamestop's 3DS station. Sweet

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was awesome when I was in college. Going to conventions where it would blow up was amazing.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
As someone who takes public transportation in a big city every day, and with the popularity of the Switch, I REALLY wish streetpass was still a thing.

Yeah it was god damn wild to see how many people I'd be able to tag with my DS. Shame Nintendo removed it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this! I don't live in a big city but loved going to conventions or big cities and bringing my 3DS around and seeing who I ran across.

Activity Log and StreetPass are my most wanted features for a future Switch OS update or in the next system.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I loved streetpass. I would love to see the idea and the games come back some how. The problem I had was that my 2DS wasn't very easy to pocket and bring places. When I got a New 3DS, I was out of grad school and the 3DS' time had passed.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
3DS Street Pass was (still is) amazing. It makes long-ass queues to popular games in conventions (PAX, Gamescom, E3) fly by. I am disappointed Nintendo has not implemented something like this for the Switch Mini.

EDIT: Also, just walking around Akihabara (or really, most of Japan) with it was awesome.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I have every single puzzle piece... I got tons Streepass hits every day taking the GO Train in and out of Toronto. Curiously I never saw anybody else actually play on a 3DS. I see people playing Switch on the train all the time, but... no Streetpass.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I loved Streetpass so much, made my commute fun. Even in my country town in Australia I generally got 4-5 hits when I went down the street, but when I was living in Japan during the height of the 3DS (around Smash's launch) it was insane, the most I got in one day was ~350 (bring 10 into the plaza, collect the stuff, shut the system, bring the next 10 in, rinse and repeat). Such a fun addition to the system, I wish Switch had something like it.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Was awesome collecting all the puzzle pieces.
Got a few in my hometown but it really started being fun when I started Uni and going to conventions cause I got a really big amount from there.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah it was such an awesome feature and even though the Switch isn't as portable as the 3DS (although the Switch Lite is kind of different), I wish they had included it. I would put it in my backpack when I went to class and work and at night I would open it up and get all those sweet, sweet puzzle pieces and do the Find Mii mini game. Constantly ran across some of the same people so it was awesome being able to use them over and over. It would be even cooler if Nintendo had a StreetPass app on mobile but I get why they wouldn't.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
Never really used it, but then I went to Japan for a couple of weeks... and Streetpass was awesome!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No kidding. Three PAX conventions really filled up my map, especially 2013 when that system was hotter than anything.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
StreetPass was amazing. I met a woman on there and we ended up dating for three years. She's still to this day one of my best friends.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I used to love bringing my 3DS to stuff like the Zelda Symphony or Video Games Live when they came around. If I had any disappointments with the feature, it's that they didn't up the queue threshold until a point where neither show/event was coming to my area anymore.

I remember simply not having enough time between segments (at the shows) to go through and interact with all of the passes.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
StreetPass and Miiverse were both amazing. The best two things from Nintendo's last gen are not with us anymore.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I really miss streetpass and didn't realize it till I tried that free Kirby game on the switch. Cause it reminds me of a mii plaza game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent like 6 months taking that into London using public transport and only ever got 2 hits on it.

Nice idea, but doesn't work with the user base demographics apparently.

Mar 18, 2018
Great idea, didn't work for me. For two years I got maybe 2-3 hits? That's the cos of living in a 3rd world country ;). Or more like 2.5world country

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't get a lot of hits until they installed those relay stations at certain stores and train stations here. Then it was awesome! But after a year or two they shut those down just like that and I was back to almost nothing, maybe 2 hits if lucky if I happened to travel a lot that day.

The Mii Plaza games for it were all fun and I remember going out of my way to set a Streetpass team in Fire Emblem Awakening that allowed others to buy one of each stat up item from me. I missed the boat when it came to Pokémon gen3 remakes and the secret base/gym Streetpass thing it had going on. I wonder how that was like, it sounded pretty neat.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was great getting into the sub and suddenly having lot's of people randomly appearing on your 3DS. I wish they would have expanded the concept further with the Switch but oh well.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't like people know I have a Switch with me, and beside, battery life is something I appreciate more.

It would be nice to have it if I was still at college tho.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I always got the same like 5 or 6 people on my train commute into work in NYC. I always wondered who they were. I wish the Switch had a similar feature. Especially with AC coming up. That was the game I really liked the feature for.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great and was (and still am) extremely disappointed that the Switch doesn't have something similar.
I didn't live in a city but I sometimes got one or two hits on my college campus and otherwise could end up going for a month or two between meeting anyone with it.
But I did enjoy having it when I'd bring my 3DS with me when I went on vacation. Was always fun to see the kinds of people I was passing in airports, and often on vacation I was traveling to a city or at least a big event, so I could get tons of people.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Mii Plaza topped Monster Hunter 4 as my most played 3DS game and was a contrbuting factor to why it was such a unique and cool console to own. I was in college at the time and collecting street passes was easy and fun. Loved collecting puzzle pieces and getting people from other countries and states/provinces. Some of the mini-games were pretty fun too.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I fucking LOVED streetpass! I was lucky enough to have a group of college friends with 3DS's that saw each other regularly. So throughout any given day, I would almost always max out on streetpasses. We would meet up just to get our passes for the day. I had EVERY puzzle for years and I still think it's a complete collection. I didn't 100% the plaza but some of my insane friends got close. It was a wild ride and it will be missed sorely. No other pack-in game has given me as much fun, and no other game besides smash/MK/animal crossing has brought me and my friends in close proximity as often as the streetpass titles did.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a nice idea, but it wasn't taken advantage of properly, and 3DS didn't have the userbase to take full advantage.

If Streetpass had been on DS, and could have had more than 10 pings at a time, it would have been killer.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Having a 3DS on college campus meant I would streetpuss with the same people everyday. It was always a mystery as to who had the 3DSes lol. But yeah I miss that feature

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
They could bring back the Streetpass in their currently worthless Nintendo Online mobile app.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It was only semi-enjoyable when I took it to conventions or other events and could get a hundred or so passes. Most of my daily streetpasses were at college, and that amounted to mostly 4 a day. I typically just kept it with me and bought Mii's for the Mii Quest thing, and random puzzle pieces.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really cool feature. I also love how it isn't done through online, so as long as you know people with 3/2DS systems, you can keep Streetpassing till the end of time.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It was nice to take your 3DS to events and have a full queue. The Street Pass games were pretty fun, too.
Wish the badges were Streetpass-based as well…
Smartphones should have a feature like this for supported apps, it would be dope.

alejo0121

Oct 27, 2017
It was a nice surprise to take your 3DS out of the bag and seeing that green light, There wasn't many people here with 3DS, we were a group of friends and usually we would streetpass each other every day. But sometimes there were other people streetpassing, there was some sense of a community there even though I never met some of that people in person.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it didn't drain so much battery, and the UI could use fixing up--imagine having to go through a queue of PAX Streetpassers, of which you could see at least a hundred of, in batches of TEN at a time. Playing every Streetpass game with 10 people at a time before you can move on to the next batch.

But besides that, Streetpass was a revelation and I miss it every time I go to an airport or a big vaguely nerdy event. It really was a stroke of genius.