mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The original leadup to launch starring Donny Osmond

View: https://youtu.be/rWzAfvqtGik

View: https://youtu.be/m62gnshX8cE

There's a big chance everyone's lives has involved the Disney Channel at some point but from Mousercise to Halloweentown to Hannah Montana to Gravity Falls to Owl House/Amphibia/DuckTales (both), it's been a interesting 40 years.

1920_1180w-600h_041723_Disney-Plus-May_07.jpg

And god, some of us are old.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
We had Disney channel as a kid, and my dad got this device which we called "An A/B Box" that allowed you to get over the scrambling when taping Disney movies. We had a drawer of 30 or 40 things taped from the disney channel. I was born the next year and for as long as I remember TV existing, Disney Channel was a thing.

My dad, completely technophobic in every way, was such an early media pirate.

I remember watching "The New Mickey Mouse Club," which I think launched in like 1989 or 1990 right around there, because a lot of the zeal for it was "This is a new Mickey Mouse Club -- FOR THE NINETIES" which was like a cool hook to it, and it sitll had some of the actresses -- well the little black haired bob hair cut girl I don't know her name w/o googling it -- as adults. I'm sure my dates are wrong but that's my memory.

Grew up watching Mickey's A Christmas Carol, and I was SO happy to find that on Disney+ to watch that with my kid. I wish it was longer, I loved it then and love it now. I remember the Ichabod Crane / Headless Horsemen segments. All of the old animation shorts with Goofy and DOnald, like Goofy .. playing pool in one, and it's about math. And then the Paul Bunyon / Babe the blue ox, Johnny Appleseed, "American Legends" cartoons... I still remember the Paul Bunyon one ending with Paul and Babe wrestling, and those are the northern lights. Headless Horseman used to scare the jimmies out of me. There was also this ... audio movie of Halloween creepiness, which was this major storm and a spooky sound track, and the shot that I remember the most is this bird in a nest with baby birds in it, and the nest exists in the cogs of a windmill, and it seems like the bird will be crushed b a cog, but one of the cogs is missing in the hole that the nest is in. It's just very clever. I still have a STRONG memory of a short involving Donald and his nephews where they went to buy Donald a box of cigars for his birthday, and he thought that they were going to buy the cigars so they could smoke them, he caught them, and then forced them to smoke all of the box of cigars, making them insanely sick, like using a bellows to smoke them all up, and the three nephews got fucked up. That's been burned into my memory. Donald feels like an asshole when he finds a note in the box "Happy Birthday Uncle Donald" or something, but god do those boys get fucked.

As a kid we were a "Disney Channel house" and we weren't *really* allowed to watch Nickelodeon early on. I used to sneak it. Eventually my parents didn't care, I had older siblings that started watching MTV in the 80s and 90s and so me watching Nick was small potatoes. THere was a strong sense of "Disney channel is good, there's no ads, and Nick is trash," in my house, but really when you factor in all of the cartoons from the 1950s and 60s and you run that up against Ren & Stimpy -- utterly bizarre but also brilliant -- it's like ...... yeah... what's trash and what's treasure here.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I had the Disney channel early on as well and HBO. Cable was so amazing at the time compared to the network stuff.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
DuckTales, Chip n' Dale, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Little Mermaid, Gummi Bears, Goof Troop & Aladdin were all huge in my childhood, good times.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had Disney Channel. Grew up on some many fun cartoons. Never cared much for their live action stuff outside of Lizzie McGuire and That's So Raven.

Remember staying up late at night to watch Gargoyles 😭❤️

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I watched so much Disney Channel as a kid, Hannah Montana was the last show I remember watching a lot of before growing out of it. Favourites were always Recess, Lizzie Mcguire, That's so Raven. Lloyd in Space too, get that shit on Disney Plus already

Also I can't read the title without thinking of that stupid Halloween movie

b4504a57-e9a8-46ad-acd0-df05da1cbb73_screenshot.jpg

40 years ago!

Oct 28, 2017
My earliest memories of the Disney Channel was watching Kids Incorporated at my cousins house. She loved that show and would watch it every time I was over. The theme song is still stuck in my head all these years later.

But my real favorite Disney Channel memory was the Vault Disney programming block. That's were they showed all the old Disney content. Old episodes of the Disneyland TV show or Don Knotts movies were my jam.

who was born when they launched? raise of cane?
I was born two years before they launched. I'm fucking old.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me, I heard the Disney channel theme was made by tommy talarico.

Just kidding

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
We had Disney channel as a kid, and my dad got this device which we called "An A/B Box" that allowed you to get over the scrambling when taping Disney movies. We had a drawer of 30 or 40 things taped from the disney channel. I was born the next year and for as long as I remember TV existing, Disney Channel was a thing.

My dad, completely technophobic in every way, was such an early media pirate.

I remember watching "The New Mickey Mouse Club," which I think launched in like 1989 or 1990 right around there, because a lot of the zeal for it was "This is a new Mickey Mouse Club -- FOR THE NINETIES" which was like a cool hook to it, and it sitll had some of the actresses -- well the little black haired bob hair cut girl I don't know her name w/o googling it -- as adults. I'm sure my dates are wrong but that's my memory.

Grew up watching Mickey's A Christmas Carol, and I was SO happy to find that on Disney+ to watch that with my kid. I wish it was longer, I loved it then and love it now. I remember the Ichabod Crane / Headless Horsemen segments. All of the old animation shorts with Goofy and DOnald, like Goofy .. playing pool in one, and it's about math. And then the Paul Bunyon / Babe the blue ox, Johnny Appleseed, "American Legends" cartoons... I still remember the Paul Bunyon one ending with Paul and Babe wrestling, and those are the northern lights. Headless Horseman used to scare the jimmies out of me. There was also this ... audio movie of Halloween creepiness, which was this major storm and a spooky sound track, and the shot that I remember the most is this bird in a nest with baby birds in it, and the nest exists in the cogs of a windmill, and it seems like the bird will be crushed b a cog, but one of the cogs is missing in the hole that the nest is in. It's just very clever. I still have a STRONG memory of a short involving Donald and his nephews where they went to buy Donald a box of cigars for his birthday, and he thought that they were going to buy the cigars so they could smoke them, he caught them, and then forced them to smoke all of the box of cigars, making them insanely sick, like using a bellows to smoke them all up, and the three nephews got fucked up. That's been burned into my memory. Donald feels like an asshole when he finds a note in the box "Happy Birthday Uncle Donald" or something, but god do those boys get fucked.

As a kid we were a "Disney Channel house" and we weren't *really* allowed to watch Nickelodeon early on. I used to sneak it. Eventually my parents didn't care, I had older siblings that started watching MTV in the 80s and 90s and so me watching Nick was small potatoes. THere was a strong sense of "Disney channel is good, there's no ads, and Nick is trash," in my house, but really when you factor in all of the cartoons from the 1950s and 60s and you run that up against Ren & Stimpy -- utterly bizarre but also brilliant -- it's like ...... yeah... what's trash and what's treasure here.
You're remembering The Old Mill, a short from 1937 and a masterpiece of animation!

View: https://youtu.be/MYEmL0d0lZE
The specific shot you're talking about is about 4 minutes in.

Anyways, Disney Channel was amazong growing up, and it was all because of those original movies. Halloweentown rules!

May 10, 2018
Disney Channel Original Movies were a big part of my childhood.

Off the top of my head:
Brink
Zenon
Luck of The Irish
The 13th Year
Halloween Town
Johnny Tsunami
Phantom of The Megaplex
Under Wraps
Don't Look Under The Bed
Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire
Cadet Kelly
Wendy Wu

There are more I remember but just can't recall their names.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's watch a Disney Channel movie!

You know…to celebrate…

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I watched the disney channel religiously as a child I loved every show. By the time shake it up hit I was feeling my to cool edgy teen hormones and when dog with a blog came I knew I missed the final call for the train. But as a kid my channel was always disney channel and jetix. The suite life, wizards, Phineas and Ferb, Hannah Montana bro Disney was in their BAG.

It's funny because I was the older audience that disney tried to appeal to with disney XD (cringe garbage) and my babysitters a vampire (not Disney I know) and that show kicked ass as a teenager

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We had it briefly when I was a kid and it first came out. I remember it came with a magazine too, which I loved getting every month.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
As a kid who loved Aladdin, it blew my mind when I went to a kid's house and found out there was a series based on the movie. That aside, I've never been much of a Disney fan and only watch The Disney Channel when nothing else was on.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
I remember growing up in the 90s when Disney Channel was still a "premium channel." Had it for a bit before my parents decided to cut back on cable bills. Was a wild revelation when I visted relatives in Florida to learn they got Disney "for free."

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It was rarely my preferred channel as a really young child except when Playhouse Disney or the handful of animated originals were on. I grew to appreciate the sitcoms and Original Movies down the line. This thread is lacking in a ton of High School Musical songs.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Earliest memories of Disney Channel were Even Stevens, The Proud Family and Lizzie McGuire. And of course the 8pm Disney Channel Movies. Of those the earliest I remember are probably The Color of Friendship and The Luck of the Irish

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I'm old so I remember the first year or so of The Disney Channel. Used to watch Welcome to Pooh Corner (still remember the intro) and I would watch Mousercise in the morning before freaking kindergarten lol

Favorite show from that time period was without a doubt Mouseterpiece Theater with George Plimpton. They need to get that on Disney +

View: https://youtu.be/r_0dqzXkTt0