DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I already see this when googling stuff like "best router 2024 reddit" and such, a lot of reddit threads and comments are astrosurfing bots

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Can we go back to reading glossy magazines and stapled-together fan zines? I know it was expensive, but I appreciated the effort and the quality that environment produced.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
The Internet is a circle and soon we'll be back to forums being the most reliable source of communication with the least likely amount of bots, which is why I just wanted to point out a great forum called Resetera.com. It has great members, lots of conversations and I've pretty much found the answer I've been looking for every time. And best of all it's free, so why not sign up and check it out yourself?

Dasnap

Apr 19, 2021
Moved to a Lemmy instance as my go-to during the API fiasco and it's worked out fine so far.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I could definitely feel over the last few months at least that the Reddit searches have been a bunch of shill sounding posts and it's difficult to look for real reviews on a new product. At this point I mostly just trust actual people I know and places like Era

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You know how you get stuck in automated phone message hell just screaming "REAL HUMAN! REAL HUMAN!" over and over until it finally connects you to an actual person?

We need that, but for search engines.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sad to see the net selfdestructing until nothing good can come out of it anymore.
Search engines are so fucked up, they're birderline useless now.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So what's the best way to search for tech problems nowadays, cause this def gonna start affecting my job lol.
I'm sorry, as an AI language model, I'm not equipped to handle this request. However, our friends over at AppleTechTips may have the information you're looking for!

Something else i found really interesting too is that as more of internet gets shittified with AI, people are abandoning traditional networks like Reddit and Twitter for "walled garden" communities like discord.

And like, how do you even search for that then? Hope that you come across a trail of someone saying "oh join my discord" and the link expired years ago? And if you do join, how do you search for your answer?

Claude Kenni

Oct 25, 2017
How are we even supposed to enjoy the Internet anymore? Looking up even simple information has become a chore of wading through AI-generated garbage and the communities that still exist become more and more manipulated.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I've seen this, sometimes there's 4 comments and 2 of them are bots trying to sell you the same product.

The future is community-funded message boards like in the late 90s. Discord is great but it's an IRC 2, it's useless as an information repository.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Guess that explains some of the weird random reviews that have been popping up on reddit lately.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing matters as long as there's a monetary incentive or benefit to it - for businesses or individuals. Sucks, the Internet was - and should still be - great.

Mar 11, 2020
I'm sorry, as an AI language model, I'm not equipped to handle this request. However, our friends over at AppleTechTips may have the information you're looking for!

Something else i found really interesting too is that as more of internet gets shittified with AI, people are abandoning traditional networks like Reddit and Twitter for "walled garden" communities like discord.

And like, how do you even search for that then? Hope that you come across a trail of someone saying "oh join my discord" and the link expired years ago? And if you do join, how do you search for your answer?
Yeah that's def becoming a problem too. A lot of resources IT people need are getting harder and harder to locate.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
Oh I posted about this service before. There are a lot of products in this space. It is going to completely ruin reddit.

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of related but have you noticed how SEO has legitimately killed creativity on much of YouTube? The amount of commentary channels talking about the same exact trending subjects with the same exact thumbnail template is astounding, they're all fighting for a piece of the same pie. It's like we're back in the endless video reply era of YouTube.

AI has no doubt accelerated the reliance on SEO.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The existence of ReplyGuy doesn't necessarily mean that Reddit is going to suddenly become a hellscape full of AI-generated content.

But...it already is.

Pretty much only niche/time sensitive subreddits have much value now, or those with very strict posting rules. General topic stuff turned to shit horribly since volunteer mods can't keep up.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
This is why I'm of two minds about TikTok as a 'search engine'. On one hand I think a lot of TikTok content is truly awful, but on the other hand at least it's actual people doing actual things. My sister recently showed me how she gets recipies from TikTok and it looked a whole lot better than trying to Google for the same thing.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know how to find recommendations for things since it seems like so much stuff is manipulated now.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
This is why I'm of two minds about TikTok as a 'search engine'. On one hand I think a lot of TikTok content is truly awful, but on the other hand at least it's actual people doing actual things. My sister recently showed me how she gets recipies from TikTok and it looked a whole lot better than trying to Google for the same thing.
I actually think this is kind of an interesting turn for tiktok which was just people just doing wacky videos, trying to ape on Vine originally (at least how I saw it)
I do the same thing on Instagram any more; i don't care about the "photos" aspect but people making reels (oftentimes reposted tiktoks) is fascinating on them showing you how to do something or easy tips for home maintenance, cooking and gardening.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Everything else from the 90s and early 2000s is coming back, may as well have forums too

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. TikTok/Reels seems awfully full of content that was either not generated by a real person at all or had minimal work put into it by a real person.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are interested in this phenomena related to 'Enshittification' of the Internet, please read Cory Doctorow's follow up on why this is happening that was published in the Financial Times recently:

According to Doctorow, there's namely four constraints that have been eroded that have unleashed this Internet hellscape:

1. Competition being non-existent due to governments thinking monopolies, cartels, and oligarchies are good for consumers and "forgetting" how to enforce Anti-Trust laws.
2. Regulations being laughable / eroded to nothing due to regulatory capture by the industrial cartels.
3. "Consumer Self-help" (i.e., consumer evasion tactics via apps like Ad blockers) options being squashed by the cartels' overwhelming resources and collective anti-competitive actions, systematically closing any loop holes in their unfair racket of a system with IP-protected "Apps" on top of using regulatory capture to claim subversion of the laws that favor them (i.e., laws they helped craft to fix the game in their favor through regulatory capture and selective enforcement of more neutral laws). It was innovation when these cartels did it themselves. But it is stealing / piracy when you do it.
4. Labor Power being systematically dismantled / crushed though political proxies' acting on the industrial cartels' behalf to weaken labor's ability to organize and use collective action on top of executives and shareholders looking at tech workers as the next industry to commoditize as contract workers.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
One day I won't be able to troubleshoot simple PC issues because it'll all be useless garbo on the search, let alone complicated ones. Man we're so fucked.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I used to search a word and then Reddit a bunch in the past as I was looking for discussions on things. I still do it from time to time but I don't think Reddit is what it used to be.

Two Peppers

May 29, 2022
If you are interested in this phenomena related to 'Enshittification' of the Internet, please read Cory Doctorow's follow up on why this is happening that was published in the Financial Times recently:

According to Doctorow, there's namely four constraints that have been eroded that have unleashed this Internet hellscape:

1. Competition being non-existent due to governments thinking monopolies, cartels, and oligarchies are good for consumers and "forgetting" how to enforce Anti-Trust laws.
2. Regulations being laughable / eroded to nothing due to regulatory capture by the industrial cartels.
3. "Consumer Self-help" (i.e., consumer evasion tactics via apps like Ad blockers) options being squashed by the cartels' overwhelming resources and collective anti-competitive actions, systematically closing any loop holes in their unfair racket of a system with IP-protected "Apps" on top of using regulatory capture to claim subversion of the laws that favor them (i.e., laws they helped craft to fix the game in their favor through regulatory capture and selective enforcement of more neutral laws). It was innovation when these cartels did it themselves. But it is stealing / piracy when you do it.
4. Labor Power being systematically dismantled / crushed though political proxies' acting on the industrial cartels' behalf to weaken labor's ability to organize and use collective action on top of executives and shareholders looking at tech workers as the next industry to commoditize as contract workers.
Ok this made me chuckle given the context:
Subscribe to unlock this article
Try unlimited access
Only $1 for 4 weeks
Then $75 per month.
Complete digital access to quality FT journalism on any device. Cancel anytime during your trial.

Explore more offers.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The reason why we google "[subject] reddit" to begin with is because google sells results as if they were ad space. The AI reddit stuff is whatever, the bigger point im interested in is how much google sucks ass now.
Yes, this is a much bigger indictment of how Google works than anything Reddit is doing.