• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
DlPiWtbU0AASfFQ.jpg

RPG Site: 10/10
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/7684-428-shibuya-scramble-review
I truly enjoyed reading 428: Shibuya Scramble all the way through. The English localization team has done a brilliant job bringing over one of the most inventive experiences ever. I can't emphasize enough that it's one of the best games I've played this year. There's nothing else quite like it, and if you're a fan of visual novels and creative storytelling in video games you definitely shouldn't miss 428: Shibuya Scramble.

GamingGamma: 10/10
https://gaminggamma.com/2018/09/03/428-shibuya-scramble-review-ps4-pc-gamma-review/
The story of 428 Shibuya Scramble is honestly one of the best I've read in quite some time. There are only a few games that go from completely serious writing to completely funny writing, and then back to being completely serious or vice versa flawlessly. This game is certainly one of them. 428 Shibuya Scramble has some of the strongest writing I've seen in gaming in a long time and it's a shame something of this caliber has taken this long to reach the western market.

428-1-1024x576.jpg

Playstation Lifestyle: 10/10
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/09/04/428-shibuya-scramble-ps4-review/#/slide/1
I have never played a game quite like 428: Shibuya Scramble. It's hands-down the best visual novel I've ever experienced. Anything you could want in a visual it offers. Deep character development, a rich, meaningful story, humor, action, romance, you name it! Hell, it even teaches you things!

JRPG.moe: 5/5
http://jrpg.moe/428-shibuya-scramble-review/
The way 428: Shibuya Scramble is presented is unlike any other translated title, but if you value games with strong stories you owe it to yourself to not let this creative crime drama fly under the radar. Like Shibuya's scramble crossing, the events are chaotic and the passing moments between characters are sometimes fleeting, but crossing that iconic intersection is one hell of a memorable experience.

I'll add more as I find them/people share.

Last edited:

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn, forgot about this game! I'm gonna probably play/read it while playing DQ11 this month

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this gets a couple more 10/10 so it can go down as one of the highest rated PS4 games all time on metacritic, like the one random year of OOTP baseball that did it for PC. Loved the demo, can't wait to play it tomorrow. There are probably dozens of us

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Will be interesting to read/see western impressions of the game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Woah I really wasn't expecting such positive scores. I mean I've been looking forward to this game but this just my excitement to experience it higher than normal :P

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the RPGsite review, but isn't the following statement anachronistic considering the number of sound novels that have come before?

428: Shibuya Scramble is one of those rare creative gems that not only presents a distinct take to its genre; it fully masters it all in one-go.

This obviously doesn't detract from the game's quality or most of the points the reviewer makes, but as I understand it, it builds up on what Machi, for example, did before.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Playing right now and it's even better than I could have ever imagined....

Glad this finally got localized.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I liked the RPGsite review, but isn't the following statement anachronistic considering the number of sound novels that have come before?

This obviously doesn't detract from the game's quality or most of the points the reviewer makes, but as I understand it, it builds up on what Machi, for example, did before.
It's possible the writer has no idea what Machi is. It's not exactly well known like 428.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
So excited for this game. Spike Chunsoft always has excellent visual novels. These review scores are really impressive!

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is this? A Danganronpa-ish VN with real actors?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who entered this thread out of sheer curiosity - there's a demo on PSN, and they confirmed the save data will transfer directly into your game. It's a pretty beefy demo too!

Dick dictum #25 - the text size is perfect for Vita remote play from the bedroom.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its been 10 years since I first heard of this game.

10 years of believing it will never be translated

Hype does not even begin to describe the emotion I am channeling right now

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Looks so interesting, but time man, time is an issue.

/edit: that's to say I pre-ordered it (it's already on the way in fact), but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I tried the demo and it felt sluggish, and the intro is really cliche. Does it get better?

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that 428 Shibuya Scramble's lack of reviews might make it one of the highest rated PS4 games on metacritic.

Game is amazing and deserves it.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the demo, but I'm legitimately curious about the otherworldly praise this game has garnered since release. Does the story really just get that good?

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing all the high scores and praise for the original version and lamenting at the fact that we'd probably never get a localization years ago. Now here we are and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Glad to see it's still fantastic.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
GOTY contender, right here! All 10 of us will play the shit out of this game. Speaking of which for any of the reviewers reading this topic, how easy/hard is the Platinum in this game? Do you have to get all 85 endings?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like at some point someone will give it a low score because they are not use to VN style game. Seems to happen every time

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see so many good scores already. Sadly for me personally it has to wait. I've been waiting for it for a long time after I thought it'd never come out in English. Sadly the September release is just colliding with Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Dragon Quest XI -- two other big games I want to enjoy and finish first. But then it's 428!

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I won't be able to start playing until tomorrow but I can't wait to dive in! Loved the demo.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unfortunately, the streak is broken.

Dual Shockers: 80

Despite my minor frustrations at the way I had finally reached the epilogue, upon watching the credits roll and various screens appeared bringing up memories of earlier game moments I felt a fondness for each of the characters. Over the course of 428: Shibuya Scramble I had grown to know these characters and see them through tough situations. I was genuinely concerned when some were put in danger, and often found myself chuckling at whatever ludicrous situation or funny ending I happened upon. 428: Shibuya Scramble left an empty feeling in my stomach once I had finished, as I realized my time with these characters had come to a close and no new significant time would be spent with them. It's a familiar feeling, one that punctuates the end of stories that I was always sad to have to finally put down.