• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
45-year-old Michael Aliperti of Long Island, New York was arrested after threatening to shoot and kill an 11 year old boy he lost to in Fortnite. Aliperti, whose Xbox Live gamertag is TrickedMarker70, threatened to kill the child at both his home and his school, which led to an increase police presence at RJO Intermediate School in Long Island. Fortnite player TrickedMarker70 reportedly sent these messages through both voice chat and Xbox Live's text messaging system.

"I am going to find you with a gun. You dead. I will come to your house tonight and f*** your world up," Aliperti said in one of the messages sent to the 11 year old boy. Police were able to confirm Aliperti's identity by tracking the messages, and arrested him at his home at 1:40am. Upon his arrest, Aliperti was charged with two misdemeanor crimes: aggravated harassment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.
https://gamerant.com/man-threatens-to-kill-child-fortnite/

Sony was right about protecting children after all.
40+ posts and no one posted the mugshot. You had one job, OP.

That moment when you know you dun goofed:
crop-640x360-000.jpg

Last edited:

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad sent me this article yesterday and he said "Is this gonna be you in the future?"

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
My dad sent me this article yesterday and he said "Is this gonna be you in the future?"

brutal

I hope that they go hard at this guy, this shit isn't cool and people need to stop making death threats ffs. My buddy who plays a ton of online sports games gets some really sick shit in his inbox.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. I love video games and they are super relaxing for me but I think they can make anger issues worse in certain folks.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of the battle bus, he's gonna be riding the prison bus.

Feel badly for that child. That'd be scary to experience relatively young :(

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
How'd this guy get arrested? Cops tracked his IP or something?

Shocked to see action taken over this. In the early 2000s I probably encountered this at least weekly on Counter Strike.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Inb4 it was just all jokes and the 11 year old should stop being a triggered snowflake *eye roll*.
After seeing so much about this type of rhetoric it's just sad that I can't divorce myself anymore from having these shitass takes flash before my mind that I 100% know are happening in a lot of other places.

The sad thing is nobody that says this is going to take a step back and maybe question about how the no moderation/emotional distance due anonymity of the past has shaped the online communication to see this as normal/expected. No reflection on us maybe being able to adjust and improve so online discourse comes closer to how people tend to talk to in person. Nah man gotta defend this idiotic shit cause for some reason I feel so persecuted by sjw culture *facepalm*

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Mr. Burns is back.

Sorry, but to be serious, no you will not. If you are aware of your behaviors, and know when to restrain yourself from shouting expletives to others, you are in the clear. And this behavior should be rewarded.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Going to use this as the boogeyman story with my nephews. Let em know if they're not good online, TrickedMarker70 will get em.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On a side note, and this is no way to mitigate the threats against a minor and victim blame (at all), but I am surprised that parents let an eleven year old play a game rated for Teens and older by ESRB.

Before I dropped out of online play a few years back, I remember hearing early teenagers playing CoD4 (rated M). I thought it was weird then to hear obscenities from them from time to time. Thought the situation would have improved by now given how much gaming has become prevalent among people today especially when talking about games like Fortnite or PUBG.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
On a side note, and this is no way to mitigate the threats against a minor and victim blame (at all), but I am surprised that parents let an eleven year old play a game rated for Teens and older by ESRB.

Before I dropped out of online play a few years back, I remember hearing early teenagers playing CoD4 (rated M). I thought it was weird then to hear obscenities from them from time to time. Thought the situation would have improved by now given how much gaming has become prevalent among people today especially when talking about games like Fortnite or PUBG.

I was 9 when Mortal Kombat first came out in arcades. It happens often.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

People barely pay attention to ratings in games, unless its something particularly obscene like GTA or something, then it gets a bit more attention (though a bunch of kids still play it).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Police were able to confirm Aliperti's identity by tracking the messages, and arrested him at his home at 1:40am.

Interesting. Sounds like microsoft will cooperate with the police to give up user details in a situation such as this. Not sure if I have heard of an example like this before with threats on game messaging services. Also the 1:40am makes it sound like it happened fairly rapidly but I wonder what the timeline from message, to contact the police, to arrest was.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
The real problem is that these things probably happen many times each day. This is just one incident where someone actually get caught. Too many people make threats and be racist/sexist online without consequence.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Glad he got arrest for that. My smart ass 11 year old self would have replied " I hope your better at that than the game." I don't even open messages I get from people I don't know.

xxStraightBlazen420xx sent you a message.
That's nice, deleted

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
40+ posts and no one posted the mugshot. You had one job, OP.

That moment when you know you dun goofed:
crop-640x360-000.jpg

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yup...that's Long Island, we are never known for anything positive.

Geezus Christ, fucking some people should not be playing games. Sending this article to my friend.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I stopped playing LOL because I was getting more angrier than happy playing haha
But I've never threatened anyone.

This is me in Overwatch. I don't ever directly yell at anyone, I tend to just yell off-comms to myself. I think the source of the anger mostly comes from knowing too much about the meta and who counters who on what map and nobody switching to a counter, that and 9 times out of 10 you're probably playing with a troll who is purposely trying to lose or against a team of smurfs.

Luckily I just play Mei now and become the jack of all trades character depending on what's going on.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Some people should just never be allowed to play multiplayer games. This is one of them.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Kid should've just muted him like the rest of us do.

No there is a serious toxic element in the video game community and with gaming becoming more and more mainstream, these toxic elements need to be called out and exposed/charged.

Because just like back in the day when society thought only "nerds" and "lames" played video games, we dont need that to transition to psychos and weirdos.

This swatting, racist/homophobic threats, shooting others over losing, etc needs to be punished hard and heavy commensurate to the offense. Let them know we do not want them representing, let along be apart of our community