• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

unknown_nut

Sep 12, 2022
QD OLED have slightly better colors and is a bit brighter. The screen on QD OLED is very susceptible to scratches though.

I own both the AD3423DW and the new LG32GS95UE.

The matte screen is a positive for me because it is much easier to clean.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for everyone chiming in earlier. I'm pretty sold on the MPG 321URX. Last dumb question I have: is it safe to assume the Adaptive Sync has LFC? I've been using a near 10 year old GSYNC monitor, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Got my 32 LG. It's a gorgeous display. It's definitely taking some getting used to though, I got so used to the curve on my AW34 Ultrawide that now not having it is taking some time for me to get used to. Speakers are actually pretty nice, so that's a plus. Will let me retire my trusty Pebbles and have a cleaner setup. All this talk about glossy vs matte seems overblown honestly, the display looks so good. 4K is taking some getting used to, running it at 125% scaling, tried 100% but my eyesight hurt, everything was still too small.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unboxed the 32 LG. Damn. Tested it with PC and consoles.

1080p/480 is interesting for 60hz content. It actually is so fast i think it keeps the frames active for a long time lol.

THE SOUND. WOW.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Curious for others who have any of these monitors as I believe they all are similar with the same panel, would the paper white settings here be higher than LG OLED TVs?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
yes i was using it as a pc monitor
I see. I have my c9 right next to my PC setup so occasionally I would switch it over for some couch gaming but now I have the dedicated QDOLED for my PC and it's pretty amazing. I'm still trying to find out specific HDR in game settings for like paper white and such because it's not exactly the same. Guess I'll just have to eyeball it for now.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
My Asus PG32UCDM shipped today, should get it by the end of the week. Time to make my 1080 cry by running 2x 2K monitors with a 4K one, can't wait!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is the ASUS that much better than the Alienware?

Asus is like £500 more expensive but RTINGS has the Asus as their best gaming monitor

Oct 27, 2017

Asus is like £500 more expensive but RTINGS has the Asus as their best gaming monitor

Unless the 1080p 480Hz mode is worth that much to you, no.

In the UK the Alienware is the de facto best choice because it's the only one that has reasonable pricing as you're buying direct from Dell, whereas the rest of them are being sold by retailers, who can (and will) choose whatever markup they feel they can get away with. That'll probably change in the coming years as there will be more competing products on the market, but as things stand right now with the three(?) available models, the Alienware is the only sensible option.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the 1080p 480Hz mode is worth that much to you, no.

In the UK the Alienware is the de facto best choice because it's the only one that has reasonable pricing as you're buying direct from Dell, whereas the rest of them are being sold by retailers, who can (and will) choose whatever markup they feel they can get away with. That'll probably change in the coming years as there will be more competing products on the market, but as things stand right now with the three(?) available models, the Alienware is the only sensible option.
That's the LG that has the 480hz mode

Yeah, I already have a DWF so the curve wouldn't bother me either. Tbh, I might even prefer it.
No, it's the asus tax.
lol true

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

At this point it's basically the non-curved monitor tax. If you are fine with the slight curve of the Alienware one (at 32 inch, the 27 inch one is also flat) , then there is absolutely no reason to buy anything but the Alienware one. Unless you are in the US, the MSI one is pretty cheap there, for around under 1000$ before tax.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it's basically the non-curved monitor tax. If you are fine with the slight curve of the Alienware one (at 32 inch, the 27 inch one is also flat) , then there is absolutely no reason to buy anything but the Alienware one. Unless you are in the US, the MSI one is pretty cheap there, for around under 1000$ before tax.
Id happily get the 27 inch but it's not 4K

Like I said the curve doesn't bother me tbh

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a large/significant/important tech difference or improvement in these monitors over the LG OLEDs? The 1080p mode is not relevant to me, and I don't really care about refresh rates above 120HZ at 4K - I can get above that in some games with my 4090 but it seems unnecessary. I just don't know a lot about the tech involved here.

I am trying to decide what to do for my monitor ahead of my move and would like some advice. I have a 48' LG C2 OLED that I am very happy with - it just looks amazing and I love playing on it but the size means I need a different area/station on my desk dedicated to it (currently can only play with a controller on it) and when I move I will be rearranging my office/gaming space to provide me the ability to play M/KB on that monitor. I tend to play quick shooters/RTS/MMO stuff on my decent LG 1440p/144mhz VA panel and everything else on the big screen but I vastly prefer playing M/KB and not sure how far back the 48' would need to sit to not feel too big when using M/KB.

So given I like the increased size, would there be any real utility for me in selling my 48 and getting one of these smaller models? I really wish I had gotten the CX42' originally but it wasn't available - seems like that would be the perfect compromise. Appreciate any advice, especially if anyone here has similarly also been using a big OLED as a part-time main monitor. Thanks!

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

Huh? Rtings has Alienware montors in 1st and 2nd choice spots, for "best gaming monitors".
www.rtings.com

The 5 Best Gaming Monitors - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW3225QF. This premium monitor features high-end perks like a 4k resolution, 240Hz refresh rate, and QD-OLED panel, providing both outstanding picture quality and gaming performance.

and best spot again, when speciffying 1440p, which is a very popular resolution.
www.rtings.com

The 5 Best 1440p Gaming Monitors - Spring 2024: Reviews

The best 1440p gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW2725DF. It's a unique monitor combining exceptional gaming performance with outstanding picture quality, making it an ideal display for gamers who crave graphically intense games.

Keep in mind, that's mostly because Rtings hasn't test ANY of the other new generation OLED monitors. Its kind of a default win and a confirmation that the new gen are good, regardless of which one you get.

Is there a large/significant/important tech difference or improvement in these monitors over the LG OLEDs? The 1080p mode is not relevant to me, and I don't really care about refresh rates above 120HZ at 4K - I can get above that in some games with my 4090 but it seems unnecessary. I just don't know a lot about the tech involved here.

I am trying to decide what to do for my monitor ahead of my move and would like some advice. I have a 48' LG C2 OLED that I am very happy with - it just looks amazing and I love playing on it but the size means I need a different area/station on my desk dedicated to it (currently can only play with a controller on it) and when I move I will be rearranging my office/gaming space to provide me the ability to play M/KB on that monitor. I tend to play quick shooters/RTS/MMO stuff on my decent LG 1440p/144mhz VA panel and everything else on the big screen but I vastly prefer playing M/KB and not sure how far back the 48' would need to sit to not feel too big when using M/KB.

So given I like the increased size, would there be any real utility for me in selling my 48 and getting one of these smaller models? I really wish I had gotten the CX42' originally but it wasn't available - seems like that would be the perfect compromise. Appreciate any advice, especially if anyone here has similarly also been using a big OLED as a part-time main monitor. Thanks!
When talking about the new QD-OLED monitors with Gen 3 panels Vs. LG's new monitor (Asus will release a new monitor with the same LG panel, later): its kind of a wash.

QD-OLED has better color volume. Its less of a difference compared to LG's new panel, than compared to LG's previous panels. But, QD-OLED still has a strong point here. But, in only really shows itself in certain situations where highlights are also colored at the same time. Or if you are watching something super colorful, like Planet Earth Jungle edition, etc.

I don't think any of these monitors have a real issue with being bright enough. 1st gen QD-OLED are plenty bright for me in Best Buy.

But, LG's new panel seems to be a little more versatile in overall brightness. Especially when you consider that QD-OLED still have dramatically raised blacks in a brighter room. So, not only does the LG make a brighter impression overall, it retains a much better black level, when contending with a lot of ambient light.

QD-OLED have a semi-glossy coating which leans towards glossy. And can therefore offer a bit more clarity and apparent contrast.. But is also difficult to clean. and prone to semi-permanent rub marks.

LG's newest monitor has a sort of semi-matte coating. Which seems to be as easy to clean and as durable, as most matte monitors.

Last edited:

pje122

Jul 11, 2018
Huh? Rtings has Alienware montors in 1st and 2nd choice spots, for "best gaming monitors".
www.rtings.com

The best gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW3225QF. This premium monitor features high-end perks like a 4k resolution, 240Hz refresh rate, and QD-OLED panel, providing both outstanding picture quality and gaming performance.

and best spot again, when speciffying 1440p, which is a very popular resolution.
www.rtings.com

The best 1440p gaming monitor we've tested is the Dell Alienware AW2725DF. It's a unique monitor combining exceptional gaming performance with outstanding picture quality, making it an ideal display for gamers who crave graphically intense games.

Keep in mind, that's mostly because Rtings hasn't test ANY of the other new generation OLED monitors. Its kind of a default win and a confirmation that the new gen are good, regardless of which one you get.

When talking about the new QD-OLED monitors with Gen 3 panels Vs. LG's new monitor (Asus will release a new monitor with the same LG panel, later): its kind of a wash.

QD-OLED has better color volume. Its less of a difference compared to LG's new panel, than compared to LG's previous panels. But, QD-OLED still has a strong point here. But, in only really shows itself in certain situations where highlights are also colored at the same time. Or if you are watching something super colorful, like Planet Earth Jungle edition, etc.

I don't think any of these monitors have a real issue with being bright enough. 1st gen QD-OLED are plenty bright for me in Best Buy.

But, LG's new panel seems to be a little more versatile in overall brightness. Especially when you consider that QD-OLED still have dramatically raised blacks in a brighter room. So, not only does the LG make a brighter impression overall, it retains a much better black level, when contending with a lot of ambient light.

QD-OLED have a semi-glossy coating which leans towards glossy. And can therefore offer a bit more clarity and apparent contrast.. But is also difficult to clean. and prone to semi-permanent rub marks.

LG's newest monitor has a sort of semi-matte coating. Which seems to be as easy to clean and as durable, as most matte monitors.
Regarding your QD-OLED monitors with Gen 3 panels Vs. LG's new monitor comparison, which is better with regard to image retention/burn-in?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Regarding your QD-OLED monitors with Gen 3 panels Vs. LG's new monitor comparison, which is better with regard to image retention/burn-in?
I'd say overall, its probably a wash. There isn't enough evidence to say otherwise.

And both panel types have updates which are supposed to help with longevity. So, tests with previous gen panels aren't exactly accurate.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
www.rtings.com

www.rtings.com

Sorry I meant rtings had AW at 1 lol my work addled brain wrote ASUS

I guess I should wait on them checking out the others

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I haven't seen anyone call out the ELMB support. I only have a 1080 so getting above 120fps in 2K is tough in the vast majority of games, let alone 240fps. ELMB significantly cuts down on blur if you can deal with the 120Hz cap. I got my triple monitor setup with this one front and center and so far it looks amazing.

From TFTCentral's review,
pursuit_comparison.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone call out the ELMB support. I only have a 1080 so getting above 120fps in 2K is tough in the vast majority of games, let alone 240fps. ELMB significantly cuts down on blur if you can deal with the 120Hz cap. I got my triple monitor setup with this one front and center and so far it looks amazing.

From TFTCentral's review,
pursuit_comparison.png
I have a 4090 so honestly I'd be aiming for 4k at high frame rates lol
When in doubt, trust rtings.
Yeah, they're my go to. I need them to review the other monitors now but I'll likely go with the AW anyway. £500 more minimum for the rest and for what really? A flat panel? Who cares

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4090 so honestly I'd be aiming for 4k at high frame rates lol
In a few surprisingly modern games, I can hit over 200FPS, even at max settings. Currently playing Judgment, and the motion clarity at such high framerates is insane. Makes 60FPS look like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen.
So those 240Hz can be quite neat. Also, there's the future proofing aspect. While the monitor has a 3 year guarantee, I am hoping it stays usable for much longer than that, like 6 years or more. So the next GPU (6090 ?) should have an even easier time hitting that max refresh rate.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
In a few surprisingly modern games, I can hit over 200FPS, even at max settings. Currently playing Judgment, and the motion clarity at such high framerates is insane. Makes 60FPS look like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen.
So those 240Hz can be quite neat. Also, there's the future proofing aspect. While the monitor has a 3 year guarantee, I am hoping it stays usable for much longer than that, like 6 years or more. So the next GPU (6090 ?) should have an even easier time hitting that max refresh rate.
Yeah burn in is overblown imo and the warranty is fair

Think I'll treat myself to the Alienware tonight lol

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
5090, and yeah if the rumors are true about its raster performance being 50-60% higher than the current 4090 than absolutely any modern game out thus far should reach 200+ fps. Heaviest game in my arsenal is probably Alan Wake 2 and that's roughly 90-130 fps with DLSS-Q and max RT. With the 5090s improved raster and RT cores you'd probably be looking at 150-200. I don't know how many games out today are more demanding than that but Hellblade 2 might prove to be another one.

Last edited:

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 32 LG. It's a gorgeous display. It's definitely taking some getting used to though, I got so used to the curve on my AW34 Ultrawide that now not having it is taking some time for me to get used to. Speakers are actually pretty nice, so that's a plus. Will let me retire my trusty Pebbles and have a cleaner setup. All this talk about glossy vs matte seems overblown honestly, the display looks so good. 4K is taking some getting used to, running it at 125% scaling, tried 100% but my eyesight hurt, everything was still too small.

Finally unboxed the 32 LG. Damn. Tested it with PC and consoles.

1080p/480 is interesting for 60hz content. It actually is so fast i think it keeps the frames active for a long time lol.

THE SOUND. WOW.

Which models are these?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I think after the advice in this thread and reviewing the cost of these monitors I will stick with the TV oled variants - still wish I had the 42' model so it was more practical on my desktop, but I can make it work. If these 32' models get down into the $600 range I would be so tempted though. Thanks for the advice.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think after the advice in this thread and reviewing the cost of these monitors I will stick with the TV oled variants - still wish I had the 42' model so it was more practical on my desktop, but I can make it work. If these 32' models get down into the $600 range I would be so tempted though. Thanks for the advice.
I've seen people lower their screen size and regret it tbf, so you never know

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
looks like Gigabyte FOS32U2P is out, hardware unboxed just talked about its full bandwidth DP2. Hopefully we get some reviews soon

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
looks like Gigabyte FOS32U2P is out, hardware unboxed just talked about its full bandwidth DP2. Hopefully we get some reviews soon
It won't be any different from any other QD-OLED on the same panel.
Nvidia doesn't support DP 2.1 yet, AMD's running its port on UHBR10 - which is less than HDMI 2.1.
DSC is just as invisible as it always was.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Nvidia doesn't support DP 2.1 yet, AMD's running its port on UHBR10 - which is less than HDMI 2.1.

yeah, I suppose, it mainly all come down to prices for me, if only LG have KVM switch and cheaper. it seems to have a decent virtual surround sound built it.

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if Gigabyte has seen a significant effect on sales by including KVMs or if someone higher up in the company just wants the feature, seems like no matter how gamer oriented their products are in the last 4 years they almost always include a KVM.

What I would like to see is someone copy the kind of extra features that BenQ ads to their monitors. BenQ themselves are a bit slow in releasing new products so they are never early with the latest's tech, but them being primarily design oriented seem to motivate them to produce interesting products when they do gaming. Like including a remote control for monitors that have speakers and because they imagine some users will be switching between consoles and computers and a remote control makes it easier to switch inputs than reaching under your screen.
Any monitor could benefit from a remote control tbh.

Last edited:

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap I was actually able to put in an order for the Asus pg32ucdm. Sort of. NewEgg took the order but it's backordered and won't ship until the 5th of June but hey, that's something.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think UHBR20 support would only be interesting for future proofing, with no value in the short term, as you point out. Even for future use cases, I'm not sure what the benefit is to dropping DSC. I guess if you use Nvidia, there's a couple features they don't allow when DSC is on. The integer scaling option, for example, and the downscaling stuff. Of course, if you are already at 4K, then downscaling feels a bit overkill to me. It's already 140 pixel per inch, why would you need to make it sharper still by downscaling.

Conf

Dec 4, 2021

That alone would be enough for me to steer clear from QD-OLED monitors
I'd be hunting for potential scratches every time I'd clean it

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
That alone would be enough for me to steer clear from QD-OLED monitors
I'd be hunting for potential scratches every time I'd clean it
I've scratched up the coating on my QD-OLED Alienware just cleaning it with microfibre clothes. They're invisible when the monitor is turned on but I don't think I'll ever but QD-OLED again. Next monitor in a few years will be WOLED