• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Dante's Matinee is coming to 4K via Shout in June. Never picked up the blu of that, so quite excited for the UHD release.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
having just recently finished reading Dune and with Villeneuve's adaptation finished i decided to grab David Lynch's version on 4K from Arrow's Easter sale. it's very flawed (with an extremely questionable ending considering the themes of the book) but it looked and sounded absolutely glorious, up there with the best in my collection. i'm saving rewatching the Villeneuve's films on 4K for when the second part gets released but from what i understand part one is also a fantastic looking disc.

I remember Brotherhood of the Wolfs blu ray being putrid, almost like a repackaged DVD that wasn't good looking to begin with. I hated the movie regardless but the scenery should look great with the proper transfer on 4K.
yeah unfortunately i came away disappointed by the film itself after having looked forward to seeing it for a while but at the very least the quality of the 4K was extremely solid.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Does anyone know where I can get the Conan 4K set in Europe? It doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
71Xs+ZVLEfL._SL1500_.jpg

The Limited-Edition Paramount Presents release includes the restored film on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™ for the first time ever. The exacting restoration was completed using the original camera negative, which was repaired using the latest technology in areas that had been previously damaged. The result is a sparkling 4K Ultra HD presentation that uses more of the best possible source than previous masters and faithfully captures the film's distinctively dreamy and simultaneously realistic look.

In addition, this release includes extensive new and legacy bonus content (see below), access to a Digital copy of the film, and a bonus Blu-ray™ with the 1990 sequel The Two Jakes, directed by and starring Jack Nicholson and written by Robert Towne.

New bonus content is detailed below:
  • A State of Mind: Author Sam Wasson On Chinatown – Sam Wasson, film historian and bestselling author of The Big Goodbye: Chinatown and the Last Years Of Hollywood, on the importance of the film and its legacy. [NEW]
  • Chinatown Memories – Legendary producer Hawk Koch shares stories from his time as assistant director on the film.
  • The Trilogy That Never Was – Sam Wasson discusses the planned third installment of what would have been a trio of movies featuring the character Jake Gittes.

Additional legacy bonus content:
  • Commentary by screenwriter Robert Towne with David Fincher
  • Water and Power
  • The Aqueduct
  • The Aftermath
  • The River & Beyond
  • Chinatown: An Appreciation
  • Chinatown: The Beginning and the End
  • Chinatown: Filming
  • Chinatown: Legacy
  • Theatrical Trailer

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/JohnnyFocal/status/1778106995305751037

100%

there's so much nonsense and handwringing and false information about grain.

"what was the original look" exactly what I was saying when people were trying to compare various Cameron 4k films to their respective blu rays.

I haven't read the Ultra HD Blu-ray article yet, but I can say I'm a little confused about the response. I guess I do not appreciate how this is accomplished.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the Ultra HD Blu-ray article yet, but I can say I'm a little confused about the response. I guess I do not appreciate how this is accomplished.
The scan was done in 4k, but the master was done in 2k as the file size would be too large for the efficient workflow at the time. UHD is an AI upscale of the 2010 master, as the framing/geometry is identical between the two.

Mind you, the master being 2k isn't really a problem, issue that people have is regarding processing that has been done with it for the UHD release.
When you print film to film, grain management is used as the grain is designed to cancel itself out.
There is no "grain management" for the photochemical process. The original grain gets softened up due to generational loss, but that's the byproduct of the process.
When you scan a film digitally, you fix it in place in the worst possible way. It would be foolish not to manage it.
There is a major difference between fixing the issues/damage to the original print, and shaving off most of the grain.

Also, the insistence that AI wasn't used on those remasters is bizarre, there are clearly the examples of model hallucinating the details in the final image. But overall I agree with the sentiment that it's less of a problem with a tool and more with those that that used it.

Last edited:

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up this number from the latest Kino Lorber sale for $18. The old Blu was no slouch but this is 100% dynamite. Wang Chung's soundtrack is super propulsive.

296068_large.jpg

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

That tweet has a lot of words in it when he can just use his eyes, James Cameron's movies look awful on high spec media. Simple as. Grain, noise reduction, colour grading, everything. I think it was the 3D Blu ray of T2 that was regarded as the best one because it had the LEAST amount of nonsense involved with it compared to some of the anniversary releases? I've lost track at this point

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The scan was done in 4k, but the master was done in 2k as the file size would be too large for the efficient workflow at the time. UHD is an AI upscale of the 2010 master, as the framing/geometry is identical between the two.

Mind you, the master being 2k isn't really a problem, issue that people have is regarding processing that has been done with it for the UHD release.

There is no "grain management" for the photochemical process. The original grain gets softened up due to generational loss, but that's the byproduct of the process.

There is a major difference between fixing the issues/damage to the original print, and shaving off most of the grain.

Also, the insistence that AI wasn't used on those remasters is bizarre, there are clearly the examples of model hallucinating the details in the final image. But overall I agree with the sentiment that it's less of a problem with a tool and more with those that that used it.
actual AI doesn't even exist, so he's correct on that.

That tweet has a lot of words in it when he can just use his eyes, James Cameron's movies look awful on high spec media. Simple as. Grain, noise reduction, colour grading, everything. I think it was the 3D Blu ray of T2 that was regarded as the best one because it had the LEAST amount of nonsense involved with it compared to some of the anniversary releases? I've lost track at this point
show me where he said anything about them being good or bad?
he's talking about the process, and the fact that in general, you do use noise reduction on scanned in film, more often than not. As well as the fact that you can't just take a different blu ray and say see the grain is better/worse whatever.

You scan in film on three different machines with 3 different people doing the scanning and you're going to get 3 different results.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Christ those tweets are tiresome to read - comes off as pedantry and needing to be right about everything without engaging at all with what people are actually saying

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I may as well buy the 4K release of a movie (as long it is also includes a standard Blu-Ray disc) even if I don't own a 4K player yet, right? Figure I'm just future proofing myself.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I may as well buy the 4K release of a movie (as long it is also includes a standard Blu-Ray disc) even if I don't own a 4K player yet, right? Figure I'm just future proofing myself.

Yes, that's what I started doing last year. I bought a Panasonic 4K Blu player used for $55 last month and had a small stack of disks ready to go.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's worth it. Usually only a few more dollars for a 4K disc over the blu-ray.
Sometimes there are instances where the 4K is even cheaper than the blu-ray.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
I think it's worth it. Usually only a few more dollars for a 4K disc over the blu-ray.
Sometimes there are instances where the 4K is even cheaper than the blu-ray.

Yes, a one time buy of a 4K + BR combo pack saves you from having to double dip in the future.
I hate how they're doing some 4K Only Disc + Digital for major releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I had Scott Pilgrim and Pacific Rim 4K discs in my Target cart last night on the last day of their B2G1 sale but I couldn't decide on a third.
For future reference, you don't need a third item when Target does that sale. You can just order a second copy of one of them, and then cancel the duplicate after placing the order. The sale works by taking the value of one of the movies (the cheapest, if they're not the same price) and applying it equally as a discount towards all three. The discount is retained even if items are canceled or returned. So effectively, as long as you're sticking to similarly priced movies, it's more of a 33% off sale with some hoops.

The terms have the sale are quite explicit that it works in this way, and doing it is in no way considered abusing the system by Target.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Yes, a one time buy of a 4K + BR combo pack saves you from having to double dip in the future.
I hate how they're doing some 4K Only Disc + Digital for major releases.

Be grateful you get digital!

I haven't seen a disc release with a digital copy in literal years, and a good 75% of our 4K releases come as 4K disc only now. They still charge us £25 for just that though. I'm reduced to just waiting a few months so I can get anything I want in 2 for £30 or similar offers (or buy pre-owned).

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
39QIK2lnUNDARIhbxHclkjUnjRIc3R_large.jpg
Criterion July 2024:

SFKvsYbfUvn7ZYRrBRUN3MdLLZN2YR_large.jpg

AEpdIJD7E95bVQjbnDCBTRtPfR1Ip3_large.jpg

jY2zurB57hpteerhVoG8bVHmQwut0E_large.jpg

sVozlyc30bUuyk06RvSQMkh09myecU_large.jpg

xRRm1FOwmmIoNSX6GJDzQrOZV9rp9g_original.jpg

Overall, an excellent month for releases! Though, it still disappoints me that Barry Lyndon 4K has yet to be announced. :(

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Oh no, I've fallen deep into the MakeMKV/Plex hole.

I'm ripping the DVD set I have for the Sam & Max TV series only to find out that most of the episodes of the show are smashed together in their airing order. (As with most kids shows, two 11 minutes episodes are together for a 22 minute "episode")

The first episode in the pair typically has a cold open followed by the intro sequence, which means that even if I did a simple split of the MKV file, the first half of the "episode" has an intro sequence while the second half doesn't, and the first half doesn't have credits but the second half does.

Well my dumb ass stripped out the intro sequence and the credits out of each episode, and I've been cobbling them together so that every individual 11-minute episode has the opening sequence and a credits afterward.

It's a fucking sickness.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I'm ripping the DVD set I have for the Sam & Max TV series only to find out that most of the episodes of the show are smashed together in their airing order. (As with most kids shows, two 11 minutes episodes are together for a 22 minute "episode")

The first episode in the pair typically has a cold open followed by the intro sequence, which means that even if I did a simple split of the MKV file, the first half of the "episode" has an intro sequence while the second half doesn't, and the first half doesn't have credits but the second half does.

Well my dumb ass stripped out the intro sequence and the credits out of each episode, and I've been cobbling them together so that every individual 11-minute episode has the opening sequence and a credits afterward.

It's a fucking sickness.

Damn, that's real commitment right there. When i ripped my copy of The Powerpuff Girls I just kept everything together and named the files accordingly in Plex, but I haven't actually tried watching through a season to see if this works terribly or not.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK

It's a fucking sickness.

Hahahaha!!!

I'm actually doing this with Rocko's Modern Life and Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy right now.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Is Nvidia Shield Pro running Plex running a Remux giving out the same picture quality as the native disc played from a dedicated player? Would the dedicated player be doing any extra processing magic? And then if it does, then more expensive players have fancier processing?

Or is it all about the source file and it doesn't matter where it's being played from?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I'm even surprised when Amazon delays preorders anymore. Especially ones that I made like right when they went up.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like there have been a lot of delays lately.

More of the Amazon orders are getting pushed back. Warner Archive's April releases mostly got pushed back to May. Also saw a couple of Kino Lorber releases get pushed back a few weeks.

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023

It's a fucking sickness.

How long does that all take??

I want to rip my Psych Blu-ray, but 8 seasons is daunting..

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's good to know. Glad you don't have to constantly monitor it

The only bits you have to control are when you select which "titles" on the DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD you want to rip; once you've figured that out you just hit Rip and walk away. This part is actually kind of a pain in the ass, as 90% of discs have zero identifiers to tell you that this title corresponds to episode 6 of the TV show you're ripping, or that that title on the Blu-Ray is deleted scene #16, or that these twenty titles don't need to be ripped at all because they're duplicates (long story behind that one). You can also just rip everything MakeMKV finds and sort through the videos later, of course.

TV shows actually tend to be easier for the most part because there are fewer special features and most discs will only contain episodes. So that's good.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Picking up a new Blu-Ray drive today. The model I bought a decade ago is having an issue with a "fresh out the shrink wrap" disc and I'm wondering if it's just a matter of wear and tear on the old drive and/or the age of the drive itself tech-wise.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
TV shows actually tend to be easier for the most part because there are fewer special features and most discs will only contain episodes. So that's good.
I feel like movies are easier, because there is usually one especially long video file. Although that seems to depend on publisher. Disney frequently has region specific scenes. (I did see some Star Wars movies with like 7 different tracks)

TV shows are frequently out of order.
Friends is terrible to rip. The episodes are out of order, and there are two copies of every episode on the disc where they differ by language, one has English + Japanese, and the other one has English + Spanish + French + German.

Funimation TV series, the episodes are usually in a single block, so then you have to split them, and figure out where to split them.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
fyi todays the last day for kino and arrows sales.

snagged tremors, donnie darko, high plains drifter, tinker tailor soldier spy, ronin, face/off

this. anyone that says tv shows are easier has only ripped one show, or all their episodes are out of order.

TV shows are exponentially harder to rip for the out of order nonsense alone.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
this. anyone that says tv shows are easier has only ripped one show, or all their episodes are out of order.

TV shows are exponentially harder to rip for the out of order nonsense alone.

Even after ripping all the episodes, I really appreciate a show that has some way of identifying the episode by looking at the first few minutes, older shows that actually have episode titles after the opening credits or something. Particularly on shows I'm not familiar with it's a lifesaver trying to get the files named correctly.

I was gifted the "12 Monkeys" show Blu-Ray set, a show I'd never watched, and when ripping it had to have the streaming version open so I could compare the opening minutes of each to figure out which episode was which.

Other shows I'll sit there with the Wikipedia page open and compare the writers and director of each episode to match up episode titles (by elimination knowing that the disc I just ripped only has any four given episodes on it).

Comparatively speaking, Star Trek: TNG was easier to manage because even though it's a show with 178 episodes every single one of them has the episode title immediately after the opening credits.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Funimation TV series, the episodes are usually in a single block, so then you have to split them, and figure out where to split them.
Traditionally, Funimation's house style was all the episodes in one title (for a "play all" option) and all the episodes individually, so one could un-select the larger title and just tag all the individual episodes - but at least I've never seen them authored out-of-order. Sentai's style is one episode per title - usually in order (though very old titles are sometimes jumbled). While Discotek and Aniplex generally use some big mega-title style with lots of episodes in one big title per disc.

I had tried splitting up those big mega-titles into episodes for awhile, but it always seemed to be a bit of a hack. Sometimes there'd be a bit of the next episode at the end, or a bit of the previous episode at the beginning, or some extra chapter break that wasn't supposed to be there. So I finally just decided to leave the big mega-titles as-is and named them appropriately (like "Series Name - E01-E04.mkv" or something) and set the episode titles in the chapter breaks instead.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Comparatively speaking, Star Trek: TNG was easier to manage because even though it's a show with 178 episodes every single one of them has the episode title immediately after the opening credits.
yup. Star Trek TNG and Stargate SG1/Atlantis have the names, which makes things a lot easier.

Even shows im familiar with like the X-Files, without the names I couldn't tell you what order a specific episode come in a season.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like movies are easier, because there is usually one especially long video file. Although that seems to depend on publisher. Disney frequently has region specific scenes. (I did see some Star Wars movies with like 7 different tracks)

Friends is terrible to rip. The episodes are out of order, and there are two copies of every episode on the disc where they differ by language, one has English + Japanese, and the other one has English + Spanish + French + German.

Yeah, it definitely depends. Movies can be easier, especially UHD ones (because the special features usually end up on the Blu-Ray disc only, so the UHD only has the movie and the root menu video), but I've seen some shit in my time:
  • special features, which is normal, but:
  • certain special features, like deleted scenes, that offer Play All options and thus show up twice in the title list (one for the Play All playlist and then again for each individual scene--oh, but if the deleted scene is too short it'll fall underneath MakeMKV's minimum title length threshold and you just won't see it!)
  • endless titles for the FBI WARNING screens that show up before the movie starts (one for each language on the planet!)
  • movies with multiple cuts (ex. theatrical and director's cut) often don't fit completely on a single disc, so what usually happens is the movie gets chopped up into pieces and there'll be a "theatrical cut" playlist for all the common scenes plus anything specifically used in the theatrical cut, and then another playlist for all the common scenes plus director's cut additions; MakeMKV will find the playlists for each cut just fine, but it'll ALSO show every single piece of the movie and you just have to figure out which titles are already contained in the various playlists and which ones are special features you haven't selected yet
yup. Star Trek TNG and Stargate SG1/Atlantis have the names, which makes things a lot easier.

Even shows im familiar with like the X-Files, without the names I couldn't tell you what order a specific episode come in a season.

The best part is ripping a TV series you haven't watched yet and has no episode titles. Good luck avoiding spoilers! Extra hard mode: all the episodes are the exact same length so you can't even use something like dvdcompare.net to help you figure out what's what.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
A tip for ripping TV shows that don't have episode names in the episode is to look to see if there is an episode code in the credits. For example, if you go to the episode list for X-Files Season 1 in wikipedia:

Look at the column that says Prod. Code. For example in the pilot episode, the production code is #1X79. Then go to the credits and sometimes you can find that production code in it like here:

NfqtJunl.png

That's an easy way to find out what episode something is without having to watch any part of the episode other than the credits.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
A tip for ripping TV shows that don't have episode names in the episode is to look to see if there is an episode code in the credits. For example, if you go to the episode list for X-Files Season 1 in wikipedia:

Look at the column that says Prod. Code. For example in the pilot episode, the production code is #1X79. Then go to the credits and sometimes you can find that production code in it like here:

NfqtJunl.png

That's an easy way to find out what episode something is without having to watch any part of the episode other than the credits.

I've done a variant of this where I look at who wrote and directed the episode, as those tend to be (mostly) unique combinations at least. I think this worked for most of Farscape, for example (only a few episodes where the above info plus season/disc wasn't enough).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
New Blu-Ray drive didn't solve my ripping error. I'm gonna up the retry count to 99 and let it roll.

I'll return the drive tomorrow. It's not doing anything my old one didn't already do.

Guess I might have to do a rebuy and return through Amazon for the disc itself. Phooey.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
New Blu-Ray drive didn't solve my ripping error. I'm gonna up the retry count to 99 and let it roll.

I'll return the drive tomorrow. It's not doing anything my old one didn't already do.

Guess I might have to do a rebuy and return through Amazon for the disc itself. Phooey.
Are you having an issue with just one or two discs?

I think I've had two or 3 discs that were brand new, and didn't have any visual defects that for whatever reason weren't rippable. Some kind of manufacturing defect I assume.

I've had some old ones that were scratched terribly and still ripped without issue.

One of the new discs I'm in the process of getting a replacement, customer support was awesome. Basically no hassle.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Are you having an issue with just one or two discs?

I think I've had two or 3 discs that were brand new, and didn't have any visual defects that for whatever reason weren't rippable. Some kind of manufacturing defect I assume.

I've had some old ones that were scratched terribly and still ripped without issue.

One of the new discs I'm in the process of getting a replacement, customer support was awesome. Basically no hassle.

It's a Blu-Ray copy of "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey". The fourth title of disc one (the third episode of four on that disc) refuses to rip no matter what combination of settings within MakeMKV, operating system, and even drive I try. Guessing it's the disc itself.

Unfortunately it's long out of print and with the Fox/Disney takeover getting a replacement disc is probably gonna be a pain, so I may be just forced to buy a second copy at some point.

I'm so very LTTP on this but God damn Pacific Rim is the best looking and sounding disc that I've ever experienced

I need to upgrade my TV speakers someday. Don't think I need surround or even a sub, but a decent soundbar would likely do wonders.

Wish I could find a way to fit the Klipsch bookshelf speakers I bought a long time ago that are just languishing in storage on the TV stand itself.

Last edited:

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Another pro tip for ripping TV shows, you can go into the options in MakeMKV and you can add a filepath to VLC in there. After that, you can open the disc in MakeMKV, rip the titles, and the instead of ejecting the disc, open VLC and open the disc.

I like to start an episode, make a mental note of the length and then skip to chapter 2 or 3. All it takes is a second to see what's on screen, and then open one of the ripped files with a corresponding runtime and skip to the same chapter.

Makes matching them up much quicker and easier than throwing the disc in a player and having to flirt between two screens.