krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every time people are confused or astonished at the police for lying about their intentions or betraying the propaganda, I just sigh. It's like being shocked that a grizzly bear tore someone's face off; that's what they're meant to do. The country's perpetual shock and awe is deliberately paralyzing.

anamika

May 18, 2018
One of the cops involved was hired into Memphis PD after beating up an inmate as a prisons correction officer.

Before Haley joined the Memphis Police Department in August 2020, he worked as a corrections officer for the Shelby County Corrections Department. And in a 2016 lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for Western Tennessee, Haley was accused of taking part in the beating of an inmate named Cordarlrius Sledge some eight years ago.

Sledge said Haley and another officer punched him in the face and a third slammed him face-first into a sink. "After that I blacked out," Sledge said in the suit.

The suit was dismissed in 2018 after a judge ruled that Sledge had not properly served one of the defendants with a summons. Sledge, who filed the suit without the help of a lawyer, said he was in federal custody at the time and unable to complete all the paperwork.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Legal Analysts Call Attention to Unusual Charge Against Memphis Officers Who Fatally Beat Tyre Nichols — Kidnapping

View: https://twitter.com/SikhFeminist/status/1619028946737336320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1619028946737336320%7Ctwgr%5E4dd6a40fd5c223df8ef243b6a7346d3fec630c72%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Fhigh-profile%2Flegal-analysts-call-attention-to-unusual-charge-against-memphis-officers-who-fatally-beat-tyre-nichols-kidnapping%2F

View: https://twitter.com/msnewsgroup/status/1619336547689730049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1619336547689730049%7Ctwgr%5E4dd6a40fd5c223df8ef243b6a7346d3fec630c72%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Fhigh-profile%2Flegal-analysts-call-attention-to-unusual-charge-against-memphis-officers-who-fatally-beat-tyre-nichols-kidnapping%2F

lawandcrime.com

Legal Analysts Call Attention to Unusual Charge Against Memphis Officers Who Fatally Beat Tyre Nichols — Kidnapping

The legal community is calling attention to an unusual set of criminal charges against the former Memphis cops accused of killing Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black FedEx worker, father, and nature photographer. Body camera footage of Nichols's fatal beating at the hands of five Black officers...

Why More Charges Could be Coming in Fatal Police Beating of Tyre Nichols

lawandcrime.com

Why More Charges Could be Coming in Fatal Police Beating of Tyre Nichols

Legal analysts suggest that more charges could be coming in the case involving the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols by Memphis police officers.

While it's good to see cops get charges for their brutal actions on people of colour, the cynic in me feels that these black cops are going to get everything (that they rightfully deserve) thrown at them and prosecuted only to be used as examples from the police to go "see, we go to after bad cops" in a giant theater while white officers would never see this level of punishment or this swiftly.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
While it's good to see cops get charges for their brutal actions on people of colour, the cynic in me feels that these black cops are going to get everything (that they rightfully deserve) thrown at them and prosecuted only to be used as examples from the police to go "see, we go to after bad cops" in a giant theater while white officers would never see this level of punishment or this swiftly.

Yeah, I'm wondering what's up about the white cop that was there and didn't stop it and even encouraged it.

Oct 25, 2017
600% it's excatly why the got fired and charged in record time

May 14, 2021
I have no desire to watch them kill Tyre, but I keep reading that it took a different camera angle to show what they did. Did all of their body cams magically fail to capture it somehow?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Video of Tyre Nichols Beating Raises Questions About Medical Response

Two emergency medical technicians who first evaluated Mr. Nichols have been suspended until an investigation is complete.

Tyre Nichols writhed in pain on the pavement after being beaten by Memphis police officers. His back was against a police car, his hands were cuffed and his face was bloody. He was groaning, and he kept falling over.

A few feet away, two emergency medical workers looked on. They helped Mr. Nichols sit up a few times after he had slumped to his side, but then, for nearly seven minutes, they did not touch him. At one point, they walked away.
But the footage has also turned the public's attention to the emergency medical workers who first arrived on the scene after the beating, raising the question of whether they should or could have done more to help Mr. Nichols.

"It seems like they did not have the decent humanity to render aid to a man who was, at first, calling for this mother, but then laying against the car," said JB Smiley Jr., the vice chairman of the Memphis City Council.
Qwanesha Ward, a spokeswoman for the Fire Department, said on Friday that the department had suspended two of its E.M.T.s who had treated Mr. Nichols and that an investigation was expected to wrap up early this week. She declined to identify the medics.
Experts in emergency medicine noted that the first medics on a scene were often the least trained and frequently relied in part on the police — who, in this case, said Mr. Nichols was on drugs — to understand a patient's condition.

Dr. Sean Montgomery, a trauma expert at Duke University's medical school, said that it was difficult to evaluate the medical response, given the low quality of the nearby surveillance camera, but that the responding medical personnel did not seem to have followed standard protocol, which calls for stopping any major bleeding and then assessing a patient's airway and breathing.
He said it was not clear that anyone had begun to fully assess Mr. Nichols, in line with those standards, until about 15 minutes after the medics had arrived. That is when medics can be seen going into their bag of tools and treatments. At that point, it had been 21 minutes since an officer last kicked Mr. Nichols.
In the first five minutes that the medics were on the scene, Mr. Nichols fell to his side six times. The medics helped him up several times and at one point asked a police officer to shine a light on him.

At that point, several Memphis officers can be heard insisting that Mr. Nichols, 29, must be high, and they sound surprised to have learned that nothing was found in his pockets or in the car.

Some laughed as they recalled their assault in detail. "Man, I was hitting him with straight haymakers, dog," one said.
At the scene, the medics at times appeared to defer to the police, standing back at one point as a police officer asked Mr. Nichols what drugs he had taken. Mr. Nichols largely groaned in response, though twice he appears to answer "alcohol."

www.nytimes.com

Video of Tyre Nichols Beating Raises Questions About Medical Response

Two emergency medical technicians who first evaluated Mr. Nichols have been suspended until an investigation is complete.

Jul 18, 2018
What strikes me is all the shit cops got away with before body-cams.
Rodney King incident kind of established how broken the system was and still is, even with video evidence (from camcorder). Dashboard cams are equivalent to body cams now, they work for some cases, and for others don't. Glad these POS cops are getting what they deserve but...

Speaks so much truth. That recent news of the Preston Hemphill just puts even more truth to this statement. oof.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
that's what im thinking.... wasn't this guy the one from the first encounter with Tyre? shouldn't he also be charged?

cmon now...
i only watched the footage once and on my phone at that so i could be wrong. but while he was first was he there at the beginning but was he there when the cops caught up to Tyre and started beating him? If not then i can see that being why he wasnt also charged. Either way dude should never be a cop again.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
i only watched the footage once and on my phone at that so i could be wrong. but while he was first was he there at the beginning but was he there when the cops caught up to Tyre and started beating him? If not then i can see that being why he wasnt also charged. Either way dude should never be a cop again.
the thing is though....was he the one who initialize the traffic stop for nothing? if he was........ look at this way, if he hadn't stopped Tyre for no reason, Tyre might have been alive right now.. i believe ccn say he deployed the taser..

In my book.. he should at least be charged with official misconduct and official oppression...he got off too easy...administrative leave? are you kidding me...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
the thing is though....was he the one who initialize the traffic stop for nothing? if he was........ look at this way, if he hadn't stopped Tyre for no reason, Tyre might have been alive right now.. i believe ccn say he deployed the taser..

In my book.. he should at least be charged with official misconduct and official oppression...he got off too easy...administrative leave? are you kidding me...

Exactly.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
User Threadbanned: Breaking the staff post, posting unreliable information in a sensitive thread
How true is this?

Mod Edit: Content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure people need to see him bloodied and dying against a cop car.

Just saying on behalf of people that didn't even watch the video.

May 14, 2021
What did I say happens when it's a white cop?

Voltron…..
If he wasn't there for the beating, he won't catch the same charges, but if he was one of the cops who faked the reason for pulling him over, he'll definitely be getting charged with something. Prosecutors have been making a point of saying no one has been able to establish a reason for Tyre being stopped. Not sure if the kidnapping charge will apply to this guy, but I hope so. Especially if this is the white cop who said something along the lines of "kick his ass" before he left the scene due to being overcome by pepper spray.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While we have been lenient with regards to actioning people for not necessarily spoilering things that may border the line, posting unverifiable claims about Tyre Nichols in this thread will, at the very least, be met with threadbans.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If he wasn't there for the beating, he won't catch the same charges, but if he was one of the cops who faked the reason for pulling him over, he'll definitely be getting charged with something. Prosecutors have been making a point of saying no one has been able to establish a reason for Tyre being stopped. Not sure if the kidnapping charge will apply to this guy, but I hope so. Especially if this is the white cop who said something along the lines of "kick his ass" before he left the scene due to being overcome by pepper spray.

Regarding reason for the stop…I don't want to spread unofficial rumors so we just gotta wait until the investigation is done but I suspect there's a reason that kidnapping charge…

Did the cop participate in an illegal stop? Did he toss spray in someone's face for no legal reason? He participated. Charge him.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

71 Commands in 13 Minutes: Officers Gave Tyre Nichols Impossible Orders

Police officers unleashed a barrage of commands that were confusing, conflicting and sometimes even impossible to obey, a Times analysis of footage from Tyre Nichols's fatal traffic stop found. When Mr. Nichols could not comply — and even when he managed to — the officers responded with escalating force.
The review of the available footage found that officers shouted at least 71 commands during the approximately 13-minute period before they reported over the radio that Mr. Nichols was officially in custody. The orders were issued at two locations, one near Mr. Nichols's vehicle and the other in the area he had fled to and where he would be severely beaten.
The orders were often simultaneous and contradictory. Officers commanded Mr. Nichols to show his hands even as they were holding his hands. They told him to get on the ground even when he was on the ground. And they ordered him to reposition himself even when they had control of his body.
Experts say the actions of the Memphis police officers were an egregious example of a longstanding problem in policing in which officers physically punish civilians for perceived disrespect or disobedience — sometimes called "contempt of cop." The practice was notoriously prevalent decades ago.

To mitigate the potential for escalation and confusion during police encounters, today's police training typically calls for a single officer at the scene to issue clear and specific commands. It also requires police officers to respond professionally and proportionately to any perceived act of defiance.

www.nytimes.com

71 Commands in 13 Minutes: Officers Gave Tyre Nichols Impossible Orders

A Times analysis found that officers gave dozens of contradictory and unachievable orders to Mr. Nichols. The punishment was severe — and eventually fatal.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
That street light camera turned before the assaults took place. I'm just curious if they know who turned it and zoomed in. Person is a bit of a hero honestly.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
That street light camera turned before the assaults took place. I'm just curious if they know who turned it and zoomed in. Person is a bit of a hero honestly.

Those aren't live monitored unless I'm mistaken. The camera would have done that itself.

Memphis uses a system from SkyCop which deploys a bunch of sensors to make sense of what it's looking at.

Audio & Video Surveillance | Memphis, TN | SkyCop

SkyCop® delivers high-tech solution for audio/video surveillance with state-of-the-art remote video and audio monitoring and recording system

It would have sensed and heard the commotion and turned it's attention there.

May 14, 2021
Regarding reason for the stop…I don't want to spread unofficial rumors so we just gotta wait until the investigation is done but I suspect there's a reason that kidnapping charge…

Did the cop participate in an illegal stop? Did he toss spray in someone's face for no legal reason? He participated. Charge him.
I don't know how unofficial it is, but they said the reason was erratic driving, but they also now say there's no evidence of it. Sounds like your typical bullshit cop stop. I agree though that every cop on scene should be charged, and at the very least fired.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He was there when they first pulled him over and used a taser

Five officers were fired by the department earlier this month, soon after being placed on leave, and charged last week with second-degree murder in connection with Mr. Nichols's death. The sixth officer, Preston Hemphill, has been placed on administrative leave; according to the police report, he deployed a Taser that hit Mr. Nichols in the torso shortly after another officer pulled over Mr. Nichols, purportedly for reckless driving, on the night of Jan. 7.

A spokesman for the department confirmed on Monday that Officer Hemphill was placed on leave on the same day that the other officers were suspended.

His defense seems to be that he wasn't at the second location where the deadly beating happened

Officer Hemphill's lawyer, Lee Gerald, said in a statement that one of the four videos of the encounter that were released by the city on Friday, labeled Video 1, came from Officer Hemphill's body camera.

"He was never present at the second scene," where officers caught up with Mr. Nichols after a brief foot chase and beat him severely, Mr. Gerald said of Officer Hemphill. He added that his client "is cooperating with officials in this investigation."

There's also other people who have been suspended/fired

Others involved in the Jan. 7 encounter have also been taken off duty. On Monday, city officials said that they had fired three members of the Fire Department — two emergency medical technicians and a lieutenant. The department's chief, Gina Sweat, said they "failed to conduct an adequate patient assessment."

And two Shelby County sheriff's deputies have been relieved of duty pending an investigation into their involvement in the encounter, Sheriff Floyd Bonner Jr. said on Friday night
nyti.ms

Two More Memphis Police Officers Are Suspended in Tyre Nichols’s Death

One officer, Preston Hemphill, used a stun gun that hit Mr. Nichols in the torso, according to a police report on the incident.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

7th Memphis officer disciplined, EMTs fired in Nichols death

Two more Memphis police officers have been disciplined and three emergency responders fired in connection with the death of Tyre Nichols, officials said Monday, widening the circle of punishment for the shocking display of police brutality after video showed many more people failed to help him beyond the five officers accused of beating him to death.
Officer Preston Hemphill, who is white, was relieved of duty shortly after Nichols' Jan. 7 arrest, the police department announced. Later in the day it said another officer had also been relieved, but without naming the person or specifying what role they played in the incident.
Also Monday, Memphis Fire Department officials announced the dismissal of emergency medical technicians Robert Long and JaMicheal Sandridge and Lt. Michelle Whitaker. The EMTs had previously been suspended.
An investigation determined that all three violated "multiple" policies and protocols, the statement said, adding that "their actions or inactions on the scene that night do not meet the expectations of the Memphis Fire Department."

apnews.com

7th Memphis officer disciplined, EMTs fired in Nichols death

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Two more Memphis police officers have been disciplined and three emergency responders fired in connection with the death of Tyre Nichols , officials said Monday, widening the circle of punishment for the shocking display of police brutality after video showed many more...

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Memphis Officer Texted Photo of Tyre Nichols After Beating

As Tyre Nichols sat propped against a police car, bloodied, dazed and handcuffed after being beaten by a group of Memphis police officers, one of those officers took a picture of him and sent it to at least five people, the Memphis Police Department said in documents released by the state on Tuesday.
Sending the photograph, taken on a personal cellphone, to acquaintances, including at least one outside of the Police Department, violated policies about keeping information confidential, according to the documents. But police officials said it was also part of a pattern of mocking, abusive and "blatantly unprofessional" behavior by the officers that also included shouting profanities at Mr. Nichols, laughing after the beating and "bragging" about their involvement.
Officer Demetrius Haley, who sent the photographs and who forced Mr. Nichols out of his car, also never told Mr. Nichols why he had been stopped or that he was under arrest. After Mr. Nichols ran away from the officers, several of them caught up with him a few minutes later and unleashed a series of punches and kicks while he was being restrained. And when one officer met with Mr. Nichols's mother afterward, the officer "refused to provide an accurate account" of what had happened, the police officials said.
While on the police force, Mr. Haley was reprimanded in 2021 for failing to file a report after grabbing someone by the arm while making an arrest, according to records released by the city this week. Mr. Haley said at a disciplinary hearing that he had been mistaken about "the amount of force necessary to require" such documentation, and a lieutenant spoke on his behalf, saying he worked hard and "routinely makes good decisions."

At the council hearing, Chief Davis said that the seven additional officers facing discipline, who have not been identified, included several who had not actually been at the scene of the assault. She said the department struggled from a lack of supervisory staff, saying that it was a bigger problem than training and that the department had been short on higher-ranking officers for years.

www.nytimes.com

Memphis Officer Texted Photo of Tyre Nichols After Beating, New Documents Show

The revelation came in Memphis police documents related to the firing of five officers who have been charged with murder in Mr. Nichols’s death.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Former Memphis Police Officers Plead Not Guilty in Death of Tyre Nichols

Five former Memphis, Tenn., police officers pleaded not guilty in the death of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man who died last month after being kicked and punched by police during a traffic stop.
Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Justin Smith, Desmond Mills Jr. and Emmitt Martin III were arrested and charged with second-degree murder last month for Mr. Nichols's death.

They face other charges including aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression. The men, who are also Black, were fired by the Memphis Police Department last month following an internal investigation.

"This is the beginning of the process," Mr. Nichols's mother, RowVaughn Wells, said at a press briefing after Friday's hearing. Ms. Wells said she is feeling numb, and plans to be at every court date. "I want each and every one of those police officers to be able to look me in the face, but they haven't done that yet. They couldn't even do that today," she said.

www.wsj.com

The five men are charged with second-degree murder over his death following a traffic stop.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Justin Smith, Desmond Mills Jr. and Emmitt Martin III were arrested and charged with second-degree murder last month for Mr. Nichols's death.

They face other charges including aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression. The men, who are also Black, were fired by the Memphis Police Department last month following an internal investigation.

www.wsj.com

The five men are charged with second-degree murder over his death following a traffic stop.

Yea, didn't expect them to plead. Hope they get the book thrown at them.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
the cops are going to try to rest on procedure and training and the sterling history of policing, and I hope they drag it down with them like a fucking lead weight.