• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The rematch of the century before the new upcoming rematch of the century: Maul vs Obi-Wan

Some info from Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group:

f6904728c81dae258c63addf3fcfbbad.png

The Rebels Recon (an official BTS after show (bring these back dammit) in question:

And a breakdown of the fight from Sam Witwer, the voice of Maul:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
folks were watching this and making fun of mass effect andromeda at the exact same time

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-face.gif

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I absolutely love this scene.

I was so pleasantly surprised when I finally got around to seeing it. It's such a great throwback to A New Hope, and a great send off to Maul.

I remember hearing about this before seeing the show and groaning with fear that it would be some super fanservice-y ninja flip fight or whatever, with Maul dying in a blaze of glory and whatever to be "cool", but instead, it's the (incredibly brief, yet deadly) fight between two skilled warriors who know their part in this story is pretty much over.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Never watched this or much of clone wars. I know there was a ton of filler with clone wars too. Don't know if I'll ever get to it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
that's an absolutely great moment and one of the high points of Rebels, but... yeah, my favorite moment remains Ahsoka vs Vader in "Twilight of the Apprentice". I got chills during that sequence.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Clone Wars and Rebels had the best moments in all of Star Wars, goddamn.

It made me understand how people can be SW fans

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Probably my favorite duel in all of Star Wars, aside from maybe Luke v Vader in RotJ. Love hearing Witwer talk about it, too. I could listen to that dude talk Star Wars all day long.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
it was a big fucking mistake EA doing that early 10 hour demo EA Play/Plus/Whatever thing a week before launch

these clips were all over the internet well before launch day

They should have DMCA'd every gif cause they are the best thing about the game, being given away for free on the internet.

Like, imagine how worthless that game would have been without the bugs. Then it would have just been another mediocre game. The bugs were what made it special.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Never watched this or much of clone wars. I know there was a ton of filler with clone wars too. Don't know if I'll ever get to it.
Rebels doesn't have filler. It has some low stakes chill episodes, but every episode adds to the character development and even the random side jaunt can wind up having an impact a couple episodes later. They built things up really well

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I thought maul got chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit? I'm sure I'll regret asking but how is there a rematch? Obi Wan jump down the hole with a rag and some 409 and tried to scrub the splat out?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Retconning Darth Maul's death and then trying to turn him into an actual character has always been hilarious to me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I found that whole thing super weird with how talkative Maul is, combined with the whole being alive with robot legs. Felt like a different character.
Neat duel tho I guess. Star Wars doesn't need to be violent, but my first reaction to that scene was that Maul felt defeated because his lightsaber broke followed by "oh he's dead? I guess there's some embers if you look closely". Im not even sure what his injury was, but I guess he died from it.

Visions had a few that were more unique and heartfelt than the same old characters and lightsabers that keep coming back.
FAQOHs_VcAUEitX

Id even put Fallen Order over Rebels in this aspect.

Last edited:

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
It was a great episode of Rebels, Maul was my favourite character in the show so I was quite sad afterwards that Maul finally died.

I thought maul got chopped in half and fell down a bottomless pit? I'm sure I'll regret asking but how is there a rematch? Obi Wan jump down the hole with a rag and some 409 and tried to scrub the splat out?

You've got about 4 seasons of star wars: the clone wars and another 5 seasons of star wars: rebels to properly answer that. But in short:

Dooku gets a Sith Assassin in the clone wars who was Mauls brother. The assassin goes rouge, goes finds Maul. Maul gets nursed back to life. Maul becomes a crime lord and then tries to get revenge on Obi-Wan and Sideous the rest of his life.

It's really good, if you like Star Wars the above story arc us great.

Retconning Darth Maul's death and then trying to turn him into an actual character has always been hilarious to me.

It's probably the best part about the Clone Wars after Ahsoka so...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This is my first time seeing CG animated Star Wars (never paid attention to the TV shows). Why are the blades of the lightsabers so skinny?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I would never see the word "filler" again.

Agreed. Or at lesast use it correctly. It's originally described what happened when an anime adapted an ongoing manga, and caught up with the comic. That resulted in the studio creating a bunch of episodes that could not in any meaningful way advance the plot or any of the characters developments, while waiting for the comic to make enough material to continue the adaptation in a proper way.

Usually that resulted in the characters going to the beach, playing soccer or something to that effect, with nothing with lasting consequences allowed to happen.

If we use the word in it's more modern interpretation. Every single episode of Columbo is filler. It gets kind of absurd.

As for this thread, I loved the duel, but Ahsoka vs Vader was even better. It's the culmination of the whole of Clone Wars, and they actually pull it of. Ahsoka is such a good addition to Star Wars. I hope the new show does her justice.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Actually I watched and Obiwan cuts the thing in half in the earlier fight too. I think this Maul guy may just suck at fighting.

Its completely hilarious to me that you fail to understand what is happening in this scene even after someone pointed it out. Maul wasnt trying to block with his saber hilt, he was trying to hit Obi-Wan with it.

Maul killed Qui-Gon back in the day by hitting him in the head with his saber hilt - Maul was trying to do the same thing here, but Obi-Wan saw it coming a mile away and countered it with a strike Maul wasnt expecting. Infact Obi-Wan was baiting it out by changing to the same stance Qui-Gon assumed in his duel against Maul. Its what makes this scene so great - Obi-Wan has grown in ways that Maul has not, the duel was over before it even began.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
In this particular show, its done in order to be reminiscent of the original concept art for A New Hope. They arent skinny in other CG shows.
Ah. Honestly, I was worried it would end up being some Mandela Effect thing like "They look like that in the movies too. It just looks thicker because lightsabers are so bright, but if you pay attention only the very center part is actually solid."

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I really dislike Rebels, TCW, and Maul in general, but this scene was admittedly incredibly well done.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That scene has been done to death in anime. Not sure where all the praise is coming from. Next you gonna tell me the budget Samurai 7 episode in Mandalorian is the best Star Wars story or something.