• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Mortal Kombat 11 is five years old today. Although the 11 at the end of the title might suggest otherwise, this was actually an unusual game in many ways. As much as it represented the final chapter in a long-running story, I like to also think of Mortal Kombat 11 as the last game of its kind from developer NetherRealm.

No, it wasn't its last fighting game, or even the last Mortal Kombat. But, as I look back at how the studio (and the industry at large)has changed its output in the half-decade since, I can't help but lament what we're stuck with today.

NetherRealm established a predictable development cadence, beginning with of Mortal Kombat 9 in 2011. Every two years, the studio would release a new fighting game, with MK alternating with the much less violent Injustice series.

Injustice: Gods Among Us followed MK9, and Injustice 2 followed MK10. It was MK's turn in 2019, so we got Mortal Kombat 11. The assumption was that Injustice 3 would follow sometime in 2021, but that never happened, and the game instead ended up being the studio's only active title for four whole years, right up until the release of Mortal Kombat 1 last year.

I play MK games primarily solo, and the single-player campaign is the thing I look forward to the most with each new one, and I know many others who share those feelings. Yet for all that, NetherRealm never flirted with the idea of expanding that story content post-launch, opting instead to stick to the tried and tested model of character passes.

Just as everyone was thinking the studio must be ready to move to its next project, however, we got Aftermath. The story of Mortal Kombat 11 needed no extensions; it brought an end to a three-game saga that was compelling enough on its own, even before you consider how contemplative it was. This might sound silly to read if you're unfamiliar with it, but MK11's narrative regularly interrogated its own fiction and long-standing characters (and their traits).

I finished it right around the release of Avengers: Endgame, and I remember thinking it was an even more compelling end to a long-running saga. But you could tell there was really nowhere else for it to go, so that's where Aftermath came in. In hindsight, perhaps that's where some of the trouble started.

Everything about the most recent game felt rushed (including its lack of lobbies at launch), and all the other missing features and technical issues. By comparison, MK11 was the peak of Mortal Kombat. A game whose every element reached new heights. Take the Krypt, the side mode where you go to unlock content for use in the fighting game. NetherRealm finally turned it into a third-person adventure, and it made my dream of an action game from that studio feel all the more attainable. Sure, it was essentially walking around a big mall of loot boxes and nostalgia, but the seed of something greater was there - and on its own, it was the best realisation of the Krypt.

Even the character passes all worked to fulfil some kind of fantasy. This is the game that let you play as RoboCop, the T-800 - and, somehow (thanks Warner Bros.), Rambo!

As I look back, however, I can see how MK11 was the progenitor of much of what ails MK1; a testbed of sorts to bring the worst parts of the gluttonous modern triple-A industry to the series. MK11 was the game that experimented with locking towers behind challenges, and a larger focus on microtransactions. Even then, they felt like they were kept in check somewhat, whereas MK1 just drops all pretence.

The one memory of Mortal Kombat 11 that will always stay with me is shouting 'FIRE GOD LIU KANG' in that pivotal moment in the story. Perhaps that's enough; perhaps the joy it brought me can make up for the rest of its sins, but it will never trump my utter disappointment in MK1.

More: https://www.vg247.com/mortal-kombat-11-5-year-anniversary

I am so glad for this article because i agree with what was said here so, so much!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's interesting to see the differing opinions, as I remember the FGC not liking MK11 very much mechanically. It was however a densely-packed game in terms of features, & it still holds up visually today even compared to MK1.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hard to disagree with any of their points, really.

MK1 feels like WB told NRS "do the same thing again so we can monetize the fuck out of it" but only gave them half the time and budget.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The game industry?
Is the Mortal Kombat franchise handled by a collective now?

Ye Bobbum Man

May 23, 2023
Hard to disagree with any of their points, really.

MK1 feels like WB told NRS "do the same thing again so we can monetize the fuck out of it" but only gave them half the time and budget.
Agreed wholeheartedly. But just give us all a kickass Injustice 3 and everything will be forgiven and then some.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy what one disappointing sequel made during a generational pandemic can do to a man.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I very much like the slower footsies style of MK11, though gun-based NRS characters can jump off a bridge and into a volcano.

I was really hoping for a tonal and stylistic reboot with MK1 and it really feels like they are scared in a way that NRS traditionally hasn't been in terms of playing around with concepts. I imagine a lot of that had to do with directives they have no control over, but it really says something that Street Fighter 6 completely took the air out of their sails as far as I'm concerned. Biggest bummer of the generation so far.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's total collapse in the areas we can actually track and measure - PC player base and the competitive scene - are kind of telling.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It's interesting to see the differing opinions, as I remember the FGC not liking MK11 very much mechanically. It was however a densely-packed game in terms of features, & it still holds up visually today even compared to MK1.
Imo. It was probably the most feature rich, the most impactful and important MK game in the recent history. And like they say, you don't know what you got, until it's gone. Because MK1 is a disappointment in every way.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was gonna say lol, and it really is still a very good game even if it's not up to 11's highs. This is a lot of emotion for one entry that didn't hit bullseye for you
I feel like the big issue now is that NRS was caught lacking during a time where Capcom & Bamco showed out in top form, though I don't entirely fault NRS for some parts of where MK1 fell short.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah. I think it was the peak of the series.

Maybe they could have made a story mode like the one in Deception, but 11 is pretty much perfect.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the big issue now is that NRS was caught lacking during a time where Capcom & Bamco showed out in top form, though I don't entirely fault NRS for some parts of where MK1 fell short.
Yeah, that's fair. It was a bad year to release a fighting game that wasn't damn close to a 10. But even as someone who agrees that MK11 is more memorable than MK1, I didn't leave MK1 feeling like I got a poor or barebones experience. Street Fighter 6 might have satisfied those fans the way MK11 did, but MK1 was nowhere near as disappointing as SF5 was.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, that's fair. It was a bad year to release a fighting game that wasn't damn close to a 10. But even as someone who agrees that MK11 is more memorable than MK1, I didn't leave MK1 feeling like I got a poor or barebones experience. Street Fighter 6 might have satisfied those fans the way MK11 did, but MK1 was nowhere near as disappointing as SF5 was.
MK1 isn't awful by any means, definitely not launch SFV levels of bad. But it was just a solid fighting game held back by a ton of issues while SF6 & T8 both have claims to being up there with the all-timers of their respective franchises.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I guess with current ballooning dev times a single miss hurts way more then before.
This is really it.

Like imagine it GTA6 completely shat the bed for people. We're already dealing with a six year old spinoff game being the nearest point of reference to the Fallout series at a time when Fallout has a ton of mainstream attention.

I'm turning 44 this year, at this point I'm looking at like, what, one big game per decade from some of these devs.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
MK11 is definitely my favorite MK by a country mile. It's not perfect, mind you, but I think it's the closest MK has gotten to being accessible and easy to pick up while still keeping the spirit of what makes MK feel unique.

I still don't really understand why people thought MK11 having shorter combos was bad. I think MK1 having long, drawn out combos that take forever is just boring, and for all the talk of player expression it seems like most people just use the same bnb combos. I would honestly argue that MK11 having less a combo focus meant that you had to play more creatively rather than focusing your entire gameplan around landing your big combo starter. I never thought the issue with MK11 was the lack of combos, it's that major balance issues were often never addressed and not allowing kustom variants in ranked for the first year or so only to allow them later was a huge mess that could have been avoided.

I'm happy for people that like MK1 but it's just not for me, and it doesn't have to be for me because I'm content with SF6 and T8 for the moment. But I'll admit I never thought I'd be one of those "the last game was better" people and here I am, lol

Tdtn9bE.jpeg

I just can't shake the feeling that NetherRealm might have done something different, like a modern Shaolin Monks action adventure game, but business daddy instructed them to make a franchise installment. There's a fundamental lack of ideas in MK1. It fails at a conceptual level to capitalize on MK11's "new era" send-off that invited a truly different game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy what one disappointing sequel made during a generational pandemic can do to a man.
Also crazy how other FG devs seemed to not get impacted by the same things MK had... I mean, SFVI was developed around the same time, that turned out fine. Tekken's done well as well, if only Namco wouldnt keep patching stuff every other week when someone complains.

Pandemic hurt no doubt, but lets not pretend that caused all this when other FG devs are seeing their games flourish. Personally I still think it was a mistake making the thing assist based, adding that extra complexity was only ever going to annoy casuals (and lo and behold it has), and one of the main single player modes is a grindy mess, while the story is polarising at best... For a series that mainly focuses on their casual audience, they did a number of wrong moves. And since the competitive end seems to be dropping it already, not a great look for the game.

Plus its not like WB is knocking it out of the park with their other fighter (Multiversus) either. Which has an even smaller budget and quite possibly the worst marketing to a fighter not called MVCI Ive ever seen.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't shake the feeling that NetherRealm might have done something different, like a modern Shaolin Monks action adventure game, but business daddy instructed them to make a franchise installment. There's a fundamental lack of ideas in MK1. It fails at a conceptual level to capitalize on MK11's "new era" send-off that invited a truly different game.

People have been trying to will a Shaolin Monks followup (which Ed Boon and his team didn't even make the original) or "non fighting game" out of Netherrealm for year and it seems like they actually just want to make fighting games.

It's a down entry in what has been a wild successful series to this point. Clearly there are things they need to reassess and take a look at with the series going forward, but also people here and in media tend to exaggerate these things for effect.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People have been trying to will a Shaolin Monks followup (which Ed Boon and his team didn't even make the original) or "non fighting game" out of Netherrealm for year and it seems like they actually just want to make fighting games.

Boon did some interviews near the release of MK11 where it seemed like he wanted to make anything other than fighting games.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Kinda what it feels like for me. 11 made me jump off actually playing the series (which I've done since the first gsme in arcades) because it just felt like the gameplay had stagnated since at least mk9 at best (probably mk vs dc). With mk9 already doing time travel shenanigans 10 finally kind of moved forward and then 11 doubled down on what 9 did. Then Aftermath telegraphed what 1 would end up doing.

I don't know if the story team knows what to do with it anymore and I think Boon might be sticking a bit too much to the old b kovie kung fu aesthetic the series started with and is afraid to move forward with something that feels better to play.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Boon did some interviews near the release of MK11 where it seemed like he wanted to make anything other than fighting games.

Do you have the quotes or interview cause I'd be interested to read that. I could definitely see there being some turmoil behind the scenes with what was going on with WB games and NRS' cycle of MK game/Non-MK game being disrupted (were they working on a new Injustice and the licensing with their parent company got complicated?) but they are a huge studio that specializes in making fighting games and very successful ones.

Scotty

Nov 11, 2023
MK1 is fine. Yes I wish it had a krypt. But mk11's krypt had the most grindy bullshit in series history. And I'll take a Mortal Kombat entry over another Injustice game. Couldn't care less about the DC brand.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
MK1 just felt uninspired for me. I of course have no idea of this is true or not, but to me it felt like it wasn't fueled by a strong vision and passion for it's core concept and setting. Like it was something that HAD to make and not something they really WANTED to make.
Add to that the lackluster invasion mode that feels under-cooked and sloppy. It runs weirdly slow, gives you no map so you have no idea where you are or what challenges you've done making it chore to complete. Add to that it's online only. Even more than the game than in MK11 is online only. You can't even access most of your unlocked costumes if you are offline!
The fact that 90% of the characters are not themselves also put a damper on it for a lot of people.
Personally I've never been a fan of call in strikers in fighters either so the kameo system did not appeal to me.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I liked Mortal Kombat 11 a lot but the single player stuff was pretty sparse. A cinematic story mode, some arcade style towers and Krypt, which was basically a fancy lootbox menu.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

It's a down entry in what has been a wild successful series to this point. Clearly there are things they need to reassess and take a look at with the series going forward, but also people here and in media tend to exaggerate these things for effect.

Yeah. To the extent there is (some) continuity between the Midway Chicago of 20 years ago and the NRS of today, there's zero actual non-fighting games AFAIK. Like, you could argue that Mythologies and Special Forces count, but even then, they were commercially and critically maligned, and SF was Jon Tobias's thing, not Boons (and Tobias quit partway through).

Like MK spinoffs in other genres could definitely be cool (except for how WB handles everything). Especially as MK is pretty much the only gaming IP WB does anything with--its other games rely on other WB licenses. But NRS is geared as a fighting game shop.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
MK1 is fine. Yes I wish it had a krypt. But mk11's krypt had the most grindy bullshit in series history. And I'll take a Mortal Kombat entry over another Injustice game. Couldn't care less about the DC brand.
I forgive MK11's Krypt grind because it's the closest the series has come to hitting the tone of the first two games in decades and I LOVED it

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
It's just bizarre to me that they haven't fixed the main issues with Invasions mode - there's a few relatively small QOL changes they can make that could make it much less frustrating.

I forgive MK11's Krypt grind because it's the closest the series has come to hitting the tone of the first two games in decades and I LOVED it

It seemed so obvious to me that they'd build on the Krypt mode in MK11.. except it's just… gone.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. To the extent there is (some) continuity between the Midway Chicago of 20 years ago and the NRS of today, there's zero actual non-fighting games AFAIK. Like, you could argue that Mythologies and Special Forces count, but even then, they were commercially and critically maligned, and SF was Jon Tobias's thing, not Boons (and Tobias quit partway through).

Like MK spinoffs in other genres could definitely be cool (except for how WB handles everything). Especially as MK is pretty much the only gaming IP WB does anything with--its other games rely on other WB licenses. But NRS is geared as a fighting game shop.

I've always been surprised that they don't leverage the MK license the same way they do DC comics, unless it's just a thing Boon doesn't allow or has the ability to veto. For such a lore heavy property you'd think sometime in the past 10 years an MK open world or action/adventure game from one of WB's internal studios would be an obvious choice. WB keeps green lighting MK animated movies and live action movies to some levels of success so I imagine they see the value in the property beyond just the fighting games.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have the quotes or interview cause I'd be interested to read that. I could definitely see there being some turmoil behind the scenes with what was going on with WB games and NRS' cycle of MK game/Non-MK game being disrupted (were they working on a new Injustice and the licensing with their parent company got complicated?) but they are a huge studio that specializes in making fighting games and very successful ones.

View: https://youtu.be/H2QJ7BdRdd4?t=611 (around 10:15)

Talks about wanting to make a new IP, but the main takeaway was

Ben Hanson: "So not a fighting game?"

Boon: "No, I think we've made enough. In terms of if we had our choice of anything, we'd probably want to branch out a little bit."

I remember some other interviews around that time with similar sentiment, but this is the one that immediately stood out in my head.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Honestly, Boon has on several occasions mentioned that he doesn't think that MK needs fatalities to succeed. I have to wonder if NRS had any plans for a game based on the canceled MK cartoon that got studio pictures leaked.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018

Yeah it's always jarring to see the difference between the FGC takes and casual takes. In my circles Mk11 was roasted for gameplay heavily.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Honestly, Boon has on several occasions mentioned that he doesn't think that MK needs fatalities to succeed. I have to wonder if NRS had any plans for a game based on the canceled MK cartoon that got studio pictures leaked.
I agree

Fatalities are the weakest part of MK these days

Brutalities are a much better variant in that they're a specific skill-based thing that promote match awareness. And the abruptness is far more effective and reflective of the series to me than the six minute cutscenes

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, MK1 is still a great game. We are far, FAR, from the days of the 3d trilogy (which I still love)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
MK1 isn't awful by any means, definitely not launch SFV levels of bad. But it was just a solid fighting game held back by a ton of issues while SF6 & T8 both have claims to being up there with the all-timers of their respective franchises.
In some points, launch MK1 was just unbelievable badly thought up though. How do they make all these unlockable cosmetics, but then tie choosing them to saving a single profile (per character) in a separate customization mode, with no ability to switch costumes before each match? When I saw there weren't selectable character presets, I thought they'd just let the player choose the customizable options before each match, but, no. It was the most user unfriendly way of choosing costumes or accessories I've sever seen in a fighting game.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I think the WB and NRS honeymoon period is over and the big budgets and lavish production values are going to get cut back a bit.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Brutalities are a much better variant in that they're a specific skill-based thing that promote match awareness. And the abruptness is far more effective and reflective of the series to me than the six minute cutscenes

They *used to* be, they removed the requirements for them and now you just need to end the match with a specific move.

In MK11 when you saw a brutality it was cool because you knew your opponent had been building up to it in the background without you noticing.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the statement, but not the reasoning.

Hoping and dreaming of a single player fighting game and being disappointed when the next iteration in the franchise is still mostly multiplayer focused isn't reasonable, much like holding a previous game to a higher opinion because it has a mode where you can run around and look at things that feels like it could, one day, with time and effort, be a compelling single player game, but is very much not a single player game, is unreasonable.

I agree with his game play and features arguments though. But let's but malign mk for being mk.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that quite common for MK in general. Selling a lot but quickly losing it's player base and competitive scene.
Not this quick. It usually gets one year in the tourney scene before losing steam, its not even been a year and its bottoming out on Steam (while the likes of SFVI hold firm), and sales wise... even those sounded a bit down compared to 11.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Mortal Kombat isn't even my personal favorite fighting game series, although I have followed it and enjoyed it since I was a kid.

MK11 is the longest tail I've ever had with a fighting game past launch, in large part because of the way the single player loops felt so satisfying to engage with. Mechanically, as a casual player, it also felt pretty straight forward to pull off some neat and flashy stuff -- this is partially thanks to the dial-a-combo format that NRS typically has, but also the general slower speed of the game kinda helped with decision making too. I played MK11 almost every single day for like 5 months after its release. I usually tag out of fighting games a month to two months in.

That said, I totally get why traditional fighting game fans kinda disliked it... but it was kind of a special game for me. MK11 with Alien and Predator (MKX) as guest characters instead of Terminator and Rambo would've been pretty much the absolute perfect casual fighting game ever made for me, lol.

But yeah, MK1 looks visually striking with its brighter color palette, I enjoy the rebooted universe angle that it operates on (I think it results in generally more good than bad!), and I feel like it's a bit more fun to play at its core, but its replay loops feel so lifeless and tedious by comparison to how I felt MK11 was. And it feels like that's by design to urge players to spend more money, and that's just such a drag on top of the other ways MK1 just doesn't feel as satisfying.