Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Apologies if already mentioned somewhere. Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the new tarrif that President Biden has imposed in regard to further difficulties with companies such as Sony and Xbox keeping manufacturing costs down, and obviously in the PC space also.

I am not completely sure how reliant they are in respect of getting these from China if at all.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that was happening. Oof. Isn't China below even the US in semiconductor production?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Console semiconductors are made in Taiwan [and memory maybe in South Korea]. Everything is assembled in China, but in the Shenzen free trade zone.

China is aggressively producing more capable products, mobile SoCs, GPU's, memory, etc, but those are not used by western companies regardless.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Console semiconductors are made in Taiwan [and memory maybe in South Korea]. Everything is assembled in China, but in the Shenzen free trade zone.

I was gonna say, Taiwan is a key economic ally, one of the reasons being they are an oasis in semiconductor manufacturing (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company/TSMC makes up 61% of global supply [UMC, also based out of Taiwan contributes a further 6%] - incase y'all wonder why the U.S ready to go all-out if PRC invades Taiwan).

the PRC provides less than 10% of semiconductors in the worldwide market (and this is worldwide, not U.S)

This won't affect consoles/high-end electronics for the most part, certainly not the ones that are U.S bound as this is about production, not assembly.

Last edited:

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
will this affect tv and other electronics production? i imagine china can make the tech needed for most of these devices.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
will this affect tv and other electronics production? i imagine china can make the tech needed for most of these devices.

Most likely anything made by a Chinese/PRC company (as I can imagine they are getting semiconductors locally, not from Taiwan) will see a markup in price - Huawei, Lenovo, TCL etc.

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c
Not an expert but I don't think Chinese semiconductors are too widespread. From my understanding, high end Chinese semiconductors are years behind Taiwan and South Korea but have been improving rapidly. Don't think it would be too relevant for games

Lower end chips for simpler electronics might be impacted though.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Not an expert but I don't think Chinese semiconductors are too widespread. From my understanding, high end Chinese semiconductors are years behind Taiwan and South Korea but have been improving rapidly. Don't think it would be too relevant for games

Lower end chips for simpler electronics might be impacted though.
yeah, they have been improving rapidly.
I remember hearing something similar about their electric vehicles just a few years ago.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Espressif chips are made in china. They're used everywhere now. Hobbyists and in home automation and anything else needing cheap wifi connectivity. They're embedded in all sorts of products because of how cheap they are (and legitimately work well).

I don't know of many other chips that are widespread.