Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
11 | 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek
PC | Mar 24 | 3.5 hrs | 2.5/5
3iyQPiR.png

This was a weak hidden object game. The puzzles were okay but the scenes/graphics looked dated. The voice acting for half the character was alright; the other half of the cast had out of character voices. I believe they had voice actors playing multiple characters and some weren't on par with others. These were minor issues though.

The main negatives was the boring story. It was linear and short. You could beat it within three hours and there's no reason to replay it.

The town is snake themed, fitted with a snake name...Serpent Creek. You can point out the villains after two seconds of meeting them; it's dreadfully obvious.

Throughout the entire journey, everyone plays the pronoun game. Instead of naming the villain for your investigator, everyone says "they" or "he." It's a cheap tactic to create mystery. YOU know the antagonist, but no one wants to say it like it's a big surprise. It's not.

Side note: I had to laugh at multiple instances where a black silhouette is running through a brightly light space; but somehow the light doesn't show who is skunking around?

________

12 | Dark Arcana: The Carnival
PC | Mar 30 | 6.2 hrs | 4/5
Qz7L0YA.png

Thankfully, this was a step up from the previous hidden object game. The voice acting was improved. The graphics were more interesting.

I'm not big into supernatural stories, but a lot of hidden object games lean towards that direction. I think the devs and artists did a good job with this one though. I liked the environments. The story built a twist at the end.

(I do find it strange the guy trusts an entity literally named "the evil one" lol maybe he's still grieving?) That name should have been anything else to make it less...uh silly.

The game is less linear than 9 Clues; you walk around so it doesn't feel stale. Puzzles are scattered so remember what you didn't solve! You have the option to play hidden object sequences or a monaco card game. Because of this, I played the game twice to get all achievements. It's not necessary but does encourage you to replay. There is also a bonus area after you beat the game.

I have many more hidden object games, so be prepared.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

March
14. A Hand With Many Fingers (PC) | 1st March - 2 hours | 2/5 : It was fine...I don't really have much to say about it. I liked the concept, but the material was boring
15. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (PS5) | 3rd March - 10 hours | 3/5 : Not really into these type of games, but I like the music of Kingdom Hearts, so I enjoyed it for that.
16. Afterparty (PC) | 6th March - 7 hours | 2.5/5 : I was expecting Oxenfree, but this felt like a step back. Had funny parts, but was not anywhere near as engaging
17. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS5) | 20th March - 55 hours | 5/5 : Fucking fantastic. I didn't think I'd like the changes done but I prefer the new format and want it to stay like this for all future entries. The ending kinda fell off a bit with the story though.
18. Nuts (PC) | 21st March - 2.5 hours | 3/5 : It was fun trying to figure out where to put the cameras and following the squirrels around. I just thought the story would have gone to other places...
19. Mail Mole (Switch) | 25th March - 3 hours | 2.5/5 : It was a fun platformer, but wayyyyy too easy. Not a single enemy outside of the bosses
20. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch) | 29th March - 20 hours | 3/5 : I loved the concept, I loved the soundtrack, I loved the art design of the levels. I hate the controls. I have to imagine the controls were better on the Wii, because I had to auto-correct it all the time.

On the docket:
Battle Chef Brigade
Disco Elysium

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
srjWINQ.png

19. Shikhondo: Soul Eater (2018, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Gorgeous bullet hell shooter from a tiny Korean developer. Lush monsters and demons from Chinese, Korean, and Japanese folkloric traditions feature against scroll painted backdrops, and barf billions of bullets in your direction. Intricate shot patterns blossom open in floral patterns, while breakbeats and drum & bass try to catch you off-guard. Shikhondo is dedicated to its style, but on Switch Lite some bullets look microscopic. One other thing I dislike is when previously seen enemies return in later stages with different fire patterns. Just palette-swap them to clue players in!

rlnZYOE.png

20. Military Madness a.k.a. Nectaris (1989, TG-16 Mini) ★★★☆☆
Allied and Axis troops duke it out on the Moon in this rudimentary turn-based tactics game. Lacks the sophistication the genre would later develop, but frankly it's not bad, just missing convenience features we've come to take for granted. You can't see enemies' exact movement range like in Fire Emblem, so better learn their ranges by heart! Precise attack/defense stats are a guessing game too (since terrain, support, luck, and battle experience affect units' performances).
This game also suffers the Advance Wars problem where missions are effectively won 3 turns in, but continue as battles of attrition unless someone captures the other base. It's visually bland, with samey maps and units throughout, but none of the personality of the aforementioned franchises. With just ~6 music tracks this quickly became a mute-and-podcast affair, especially when levels stretched into the hour per mission mark. Good for its time though, I pulled off some surprisingly tense, narrow victories which felt rewarding.

BzQ87Pu.png

21. Super Mario Maker (2015, Wii U) ★★★★☆
Fast-tracked this from the backlog, due to inbound changes. It's a polished, user-friendly level editor, with funny touches (costumes, visual puns in the boot screen). There's a sense of existing on life support, now that MiiVerse is gone and loadtimes can exceed level playtimes. But I was surprised by how vibrant the community still seemed. All my shoddy levels got played within days, and some top creators were still releasing giant new levels.
Unfortunately I'm bad at 2D Mario, and not creative enough to make compelling, cohesive levels. In addition to my own ineptitude, Mario Maker suffers from a compounding quantity over quality problem: half the levels are absurd garbage with purposely obscured insta-kills or 10,000 enemy gauntlets, and there's no way to force the 100 Life challenge to only pick top ranked levels. From March 31st onwards this game will continue without an influx of new levels, and someday the party will end entirely, but I'm glad I got to partake in one of its last dances before everyone is quietly ushered out the door.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's the end of March, might as well post this now:

7. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PC, 2020) - 46:24 (+30:19 in 2020) - March 16

So yeah, I'm now way behind, but given that the average time per completed game is now about 22 hours, that's not terribly surprising. And of course, I keep doing it to myself: my current game of choice is Breath of the Wild, which I'm maybe halfway through at best after 30 hours. Though on the flipside, playing 30 hours of a Zelda game is an accomplishment for me, and it's a game I've been meaning to cross off my list for a long time.

I've got some vacation coming up, and with nowhere to go, I'll probably be able to finish Zelda this month and possibly WRC 9 as well. I've got two Persona 5 games waiting for me still (though at this point Royal will probably get pushed back further since Strikers doesn't seem to pick up any story threads from it), and oh yeah there are all those train games I picked up last month that I was going to play.

Luckily, everything I'm planning to pick up for April is a remaster or remake. I don't have a burning desire to replay the Atelier Mysterious games right now, and I'll wait to hear if Nier Replicant has substantial new material before diving in.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Here's my March update

header.jpg

Game 9: NUTS (PC) (3 Hours) (3/5) (March 9th, 2021)
Really, really enjoyed this release. The art style is just oozing with creativity and the story and gameplay is genuinely interesting and fun to go along with. I had a few performance issues in Chapter 4 with the big open area dropping frames slightly and I wish it was long then it is but outside of that it's a game I can easily recommend. If you've played Firewatch before you'll probably enjoy this as it's in the same vein but probably not as much polish and I do wish the main character also had voice acting. I've managed to get some more hours out of this, currently holding the world record speedrunning this game at 23 minutes. Really fun and one I recommend

header.jpg

Game 10: Grand Theft Auto V (PC) (20 Hours) (5/5) (March 19th, 2021)
Already played through this last year but I just enjoy this game so much that I had to give it another playthrough. Overall just one of my favourite games of all time. You do start to notice some things like driving between levels and the really bad levels on a second playthrough but overall it's worth the trouble because the missions in this game are top notch.

d6ibcty-b3638f9a-6322-4ee1-9c5d-5ea73c5a6854.png

Game 11: Super Mario Bros (NSW) (1.5 Hours) (2/5) (March 21st, 2021)
The original SMB is an interesting one because it is a pretty good experience and it's clearly one of the most influential games of all time, but I don't see any reason to play this over most Mario platformers nowadays. The levels are pretty short and unmemorable, and for 8 worlds I couldn't tell you what happened in 6 of them. It's fun to get through and I enjoyed myself but it's not a top of the line platformer nowadays

ec65ffa72e860873aff35bae359113ac.png

Game 12: The Simpsons Hit and Run (Gamecube) (17 Hours) (3/5) (March 30th, 2021)
If you asked me how I rated SH&R before I started replaying this I probably would have said a 4/5 or a 5/5 but upon replay you really start to notice the cracks in the gameplay. The driving sometimes doesn't feel right, the missions all follow a really simple structure (ie, chase car, destroy car, collect item etc etc) and the difficulty towards the end cracks up by simply lowering the time on the timer. It's still a fun experience. I 100%'d the game and SH&R does a really good job at hiding collectibles in places that are both obvious and not too obvious. The attention to detail and everything Simpsons related in the game puts a smile on my face and I realise now how many things in this game moulded what I liked in other games to come. It's the best Simpsons game by a long shot but I think that speaks more so for the quality of other Simpsons games then this one. I enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be coming back, but it's not the holy grail I once remembered it.

Main Post

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Main post here

March update

dAAT69L.jpg

06- Bravely Default II -62h- 4/5

I have to say, I enjoyed most part of the game, after reading the reviews expected a terrible game with massive grind etc. However, to my surprise, finished all the challenges and superBosses with little to no grind most of the game, aside from the final chapter to do the optional superBosses.

Addicting game, with a fast-paced turn-based system that will put to shame most jrpg along with a fantastic job-system to tinker around.

The OST is probably the best point, probably top1 OST of the year.

Now to the bad part, the story and characters. Generic, bland and mediocre to the point where you just mash A to skip dialogue like you do in a MMORPG. Also, the art is a downgrade from previous series imo, no Akihito Yoshida hurts.

And technical part…playing on portable mode is suffering, low FPS, and I mean VERY LOW. Long loading times and terrible visuals, it gets better on dock mode but man, really hate the HW capacity of Switch.

Overall, great and addicting gameplay and OST, but generic as you can get in the story.

Bravely-Default-II_20201105_27.jpg

07- Little Nighmares 2 -4h- 3/5

Some improvements here and there make the game more complete than the first one. Less hide & seek and more "puzzles" makes the game really shine with the amazing art.

The trial and error gets a little tedious tho.

08- Kaze and the Wild Masks -5h- 4/5

Indie surprise of the year to me.

Colorful and fun 2D platforming with original mechanics on each stage.

The game gets really hard on some point, although you can play on "casual" difficult to get more checkpoints

This game needs more visibility, it's great.

Now playing:

Umineko: Answers

SMT: Soul Hackers

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

My March update (2nd half)
L9yI1SO.png

Very bustling March for me after I beat P5R in the first half of March.

Both Galaxy and Hotline Miami were replays, but different versions. Galaxy was from the All-Stars collection and Hotline Miami came from the Switch collection.

Quick thoughts

Super Mario Galaxy: As masterful as I remembered it. Level design, scope, music... all perfect. 10/10

Doom II: I played this as a kid and loved it but as an adult I love it even more. Better than the original, just wish they had more new content. 9/10

Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics: Perfectly average, but its simple visuals and accessible menus cloud the poor tutorials and poor design decisions made with many games. 5/10

Prinny 2: I was hoping this would be better than the first, but it's just as horrendously designed. Both it and its predecessor have final bosses that are physically painful to play. 3/10

Doom 64: Great. Love its shift in atmosphere and move mobile level design, but the lack of surprises clashes with the haunting tone. 8/10

10. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch) | 23rd Mar - 15hrs | 5/5
11. Doom 2 (XBO) | 24th Mar - 10hrs | 4.5/5
12. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Switch) | 25th Mar - 15 hrs | 2.5/5
13. Prinny 2 (Switch) | 27th Mar - 10 hrs | 1.5/5
14. Doom 64 (XBO) | 28th Mar - 10 hrs | 4/5

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
2021 has been the year of blowing through my backlog and trying out old games. while i exercise, i like to keep my mind occupied by a game, so usually that means platformers or something actiony. i basically ran out of new things i wanted to try and started down the path of some backlog stuff on wii and wii u, which led to buying a bunch of games on the wii u vc of all things.

1. Ori and the Blind Forest (NSW) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (15 hours)
  3. Hitman (PS5) ★★★½☆ (11 hours)
  4. Hitman III (PS5) ★★★½☆ (11 hours)
  5. Lost in Shadow (Wii) ★★★½☆ (19.5 hours)
  6. de Blob 2 (Wii) ★★½☆☆ (17 hours)
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (36 hours)
  8. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) ★★★★½ (20 hours)
  9. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS5) ★★★★☆ (29 hours)
  10. Mad Rat Dead (NSW) ★☆☆☆☆ (5 hours)
  11. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (11 hours)
  12. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (12.5 hours)
  13. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (13.5 hours)
  14. Gnosia (NSW) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  15. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (2.5 hours)
  16. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (6.5 hours)
  17. Kirby: Squeak Squad (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (4 hours)
  18. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (3.5 hours)
  19. Kirby Super Star (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (4 hours)
  20. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (Wii U) ★☆☆☆☆ (4 hours)
  21. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (4 hours)
  22. Mega Man 3 (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (3 hours)
  23. Mega Man X (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (3 hours)
  24. Mega Man 4 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (4 hours)
  25. Mega Man 5 (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (3 hours)
  26. Mega Man 6 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (2.5 hours)
  27. Mega Man & Bass (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (6.5 hours)
  28. Mega Man 7 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (3 hours)
  29. Mega Man X2 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (2.5 hours)
  30. Mega Man X3 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (3 hours)
  31. Mega Man Zero (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (5 hours)
  32. Mega Man Zero 2 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (6 hours)
  33. Mega Man Zero 3 (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (5.5 hours)
  34. Mega Man Zero 4 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (2.5 hours)
  35. Kaze and the Wild Masks (NSW) ★★★★☆ (5 hours)
  36. Drill Dozer (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (6 hours)
  37. Ristar (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (3 hours)
  38. Dynamite Headdy (NSW) ★★★½☆ (3 hours)
  39. Vib-Ribbon ★★★☆☆ (PS Vita TV) (1 hour)
  40. Ys I & II Chronicles (PS Vita TV) ★★½☆☆ (12 hours)
  41. Ys Origin ★★★½☆ (NSW) (7 hours)
  42. Shantae ★★½☆☆ (NSW) (5 hours
  43. Shantae and the Seven Sirens (NSW) ★★★½☆ (6 hours)
  44. Tomba! ★½☆☆☆ (PS Vita TV) (7 hours)
  45. Tomba! 2 (PS Vita TV) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  46. R-Type Final 2 (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (2 hours)
  47. Fez ★★★★☆ (NSW) (5 hours)
  48. Rime ★★★½☆ (NSW) (6 hours)
  49. Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (7.5 hours)
  50. BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL! (NSW) ★★★½☆ (9 hours)
  51. Toki Tori (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (4 hours)
  52. Toki Tori 2+ (NSW) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  53. Daxter (PS Vita TV) ★★★½☆ (8 hours)
  54. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PS Vita TV) ★★½☆☆ (7 hours)
  55. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) ★★★½☆ (16 hours)
  56. NBA 2K21 (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (60 hours)
  57. Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (3 hours)
  58. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (NSW) ★★★★☆ (10 hours)
  59. DOOM Eternal (NSW) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  60. Mario Golf: Super Rush (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (5 hours)
  61. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (NSW) ★★★★★ (26 hours)
  62. Sonic Spinball (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (3 hours)
  63. New Pokemon Snap (NSW) ★★★½☆ (24 hours)
  64. Axiom Verge 2 (NSW) ★★★½☆ (5.5 hours)
  65. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PS Vita TV) ★★★½☆ (8 hours)
  66. Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny (NSW) ★★★½☆ (519 hours)
  67. Psychonauts 2 (PC) ★★½☆☆ (14 hours)
  68. Sonic Colors: Ultimate (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (5 hours)
  69. Little Nightmares II (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (5 hours)
  70. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (7 hours)
  71. Resident Evil 5 (NSW) ★½☆☆☆ (10 hours)
  72. Metroid Dread (NSW) ★★★★½ (13.5 hours)
  73. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (4 hours)
  74. Carrion (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (4 hours)
  75. Baba is You (NSW) ★★★★☆ (6 hours)
  76. Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS5) ★★★★☆ (7 hours)
  77. Resident Evil Village (PS5) ★★★★½ (8 hours)
  78. Resident Evil 3 Remake (PS5) ★★★½☆ (5 hours)
  79. Zombi U (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (10 hours)
  80. Pandora's Tower (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (20 hours)
  81. No More Heroes III (NSW) ★★☆☆☆ (6 hours)
  82. Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5) ★★★½☆ (8 hours)
  83. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (6 hours)
  84. Hey! Pikmin (3DS) ★★★☆☆ (10 hours)
  85. Kid Icarus (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (2 hours)
  86. Star Fox Zero (Wii U) ★★½☆☆ (5.5 hours)
  87. Broforce (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (4.5 hours)
  88. Star Fox Guard (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (4 hours)
  89. Demon's Crest (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (4 hours)
  90. Star Fox (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (3 hours)
  91. Star Fox 2 (NSW) ★★★☆☆ (2 hours)
  92. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360) ★★☆☆☆ (5 hours)
  93. Super Punch-Out!! (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (3 hours)
  94. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NSW) ★½☆☆☆ (4.5 hours)
  95. Cruis'n Blast (NSW) ★★½☆☆ (1.5 hours)
  96. Slay the Spire (NSW) ★★★½☆ (10 hours)
  97. ZONE OF THE ENDERS THE 2nd RUNNER: M∀RS (PS5) ★½☆☆☆ (3 hours)
  98. Pokemon Conquest (3DS) ★★½☆☆ (7.5 hours)
  99. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (360) ★☆☆☆☆ (8 hours)
  100. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (3DS) ★★★½☆ (38 hours)
  101. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (3DS) ★★★☆☆ (21 hours)
  102. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (3DS) ★★★☆☆ (28 hours)
  103. Ever Oasis (3DS) ★★★½☆ (29.5 hours)
  104. Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) ★★★☆☆ (21 hours)
  105. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of a Forgotten Past (3DS) ★½☆☆☆ (69 hours)
  106. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS) ★½☆☆☆ (21.5 hours)

i don't think i can keep up this pace - a lot of these recent titles have only been 2-4 hours long. i do have little nightmares ii to get through of the 2021 games, but first will be a replay of super mario galaxy 2 on wii u, with pandora's tower after that. i plan on getting through the unplayed or unfinished wii and wii u games before i make any further purchases in 2020 - which would probably be resident evil viii in that case.

blind forest was a good start to the year. it was disappointing to go from that to a more hollow knight styled sequel that just felt longer instead of better. the hitman games are a lot of fun, and lost in shadows is a hidden gem. fortunately it's on wii u virtual console - something i discovered after completing it via the wii disc i have. assassin's creed iv is whatever. 3d world stands the test of time and bowser's fury is delightful.

i think i enjoy ys ix a bit more than ys viii. it just clicked better for me and playing this on ps5 instead of switch certainly helped in a small way considering how janky ys viii on switch could be in places. mad rat dead is a bad game and one of the worst i've played in a long time. the castlevania gba games stand the test of time. gnosia is a cool-ass vn, and all the kirby games after the mid-90s couldn't compare to super star (and now i see why it's so well-regarded). dkc3 fucking sucks.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Jazz%2527s+Spaz+Out.gif

16) Jazz Jackrabbit(PC)
3/23-3/29

Finished up the main game portion of Jazz Jackrabbit, a 1994 run and gun platformer made by Epic, in particular, one of the lead designers is Cliffy B AKA the guy behind Gears of War 1-3. I remember playing the first(or was it 2nd?) one as apart of a free timed edition of a 100 games in 1 CD sort of thing. I remembered genuinely liking the game quite a bit out of that collection even as a kid..........and the game has a lot of perk. It plays sorta like Sonic the Hedgehog, from the speed pickups that make you on turbo mode to the areas being borderline ripoffs of Sonic levels(Marble world with Lava pits and moving platforms!) to the cheap enemies that appear out of your line of vision where you drop off into a new location, only to be welcomed by a enemy that hurts you.

The music off the top is a BANGER. This is a remix of the best track(IMO) but the original shreds too!

Arguably the best thing of the game. When you think of the 1990's, you think of the BOPPING bass and synth in countless Genesis games. This is no different. More times than not, your bopping your head when playing this game even if the track goes on repeat quite a bit on the levels that should last you 5-7 minutes barring deaths(Which will happen). Thank goodness for the save feature on the PC, make save states as often as you can. While the game doesn't fully let you cheese it where you can reload your exact same spot with exact same weapons and lives that you saved off with, it does bring you to the start of the level, 2 levels per planet, 3 planets before a final boss.

Story is simple, you have an anamorphic rabbit who wants to save his girl from the hands of an anamorphic evil turtle, sorta the play on of The Tortoise and the Hare I guess You have 6 main levels to choose from and they are in chapter format, as I mentioned 3 major levels that are broken down in 2 parts(HINT SONIC HINT HINT) before a boss that can be cheesed by staying in one spot and firing off it without it being to hurt you!

Game is fast paced rivaling Sonic in some sense but thankfully no pitfall or crush deaths, just spikes(sometimes) below at worst. Game plays more like Earthworm Jim if your familiar with that series with the run and gun inside a platformer needing to hit checkpoint and eventually the finish sign while blasting countless various enemies along the way. It isn't the perfect controlling platform as due to the speed, your protagonist will often slip and side when trying to move so at times, you need to fire at enemies far away to make sure you don't accidentally touch and thus hurt yourself on them.

The game offers up different weapons from BUSTER to MISSLES to BURNER SHOT to MEDICINE DROP SHOTS(As I call them, they look like pills!) to TNT. They all do the same exact damage, only each weapon gives you different projections which is vital for enemies below who can overwhelm you if they are in 2's or even 3's! You collect weapons along the way in the levels so your always going to be solid when it comes to ammo but what sucks is when you die, you lose everything you have or even when restarting a level. Ultimately, the generic buster shot you start with(Not like Mega Man) due to everything doing the same damage is good enough to pummel through most enemies but again certain enemies are positioned in a specific way, that having the other weapons availability makes life much easier.

You get 4 health but can pick up carrots for HP regain, invincibility pallets that are rarely around, minions like a OP bird that acts as 2nd shot and can take a hit for you, 2-4 shield pallets that protect you and again take hits for you if you make a mistake, a flying missle you ride around that negates the frustrating platforming elements in this game and speed shoes ala Sonic that makes everything turbo.

What sucks for me in this game is I tried very hard to get a controller compatibile with this game but unlike the sequel, I was unsuccessful so I had to make due with this game with a KEYBOARD. Keep in mind, how difficult it is to do a platformer like this with the up/down/left/right arrows and space to shoot and ALT/CTRL for weapon changing. I am a console gamer all the way through so this wasn't an easy transition and especially on very tricky platforms, it was frustrating. Mercifully, you get to reconfig the buttons the way you like them which is great.........except on the flying missle segments, you could not have the up arrow mean flying up, I had to set it up as ALT so I had to press ALT for up and down for DOWN 🤣

I could have swapped back and forth but it would mean no full screen and seemed like a hassle given the missle segments are so few and far between in the game. Man I wish I could find a way to get a controller to work on this because it would have made life so much easier! In particular, I had to exit out of WORLD 2 at the very end with an impossible platform segments that seems even difficult with a controller! The let's plays I saw of this game, guys had to turn this super slow mo config and attempt to barely just do it. Terrible, terrible game mechanic, see for yourself.

Terrible, just terrible. They had to patch this out as supposedly this was a bug but the version I bought this for on GoG did not do this. 2:53 onward in the video, just awful.

Overall, I still have a few mode side levels to go but I did finish the main game and it took me only a couple of hours so for the under 2 buck price tag this game had, I say it was fine for what it was. I have heard the sequel is much better so I am very much excitedly waiting to jump into that.

EDIT:
Now fully done with Jazz Jackrabbit, finished up the 3 lost episodes and the Holiday Hare Christmas Jazz Jackrabbit edition. Altogether my thoughts are the same, few things I forgot to mention up above:

1) Very Sonic like that there are multiple routes to take in a level, except unlike with Sonic that different trails all lead you to one area finish, this game seemingly has different finish signs so technically you can go off road in a level but still end up clearing it. Pretty clever really, makes you willingly want to see what even different mini-path takes you in a level.

2) Frustrating part is that you can only do two keys at a time. For example, a downfall to the run and gunning in this game is you can't shoot while running in the air as the walk/run button are 1 button and the jumping up and down is another command so you can't shoot while jumping up in the air while running which stinks. So you have to make running jumps without shooting which can cost you vs some of the aerial enemies that seemingly pop up at the worst spots when doing so. You learn to compensate with this but boy the amount of times I was saying I wish you can do such a basic feature in the game!

tumblr_nm90hkR6kW1qk3j76o1_400.gif

17) Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal via R&C Collection(PS3)
3/28-4/3

And today marked the day of the finishing of Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal and the end of the Ratchet and Clank trilogy. Unlike the first two, this one I had not previously played and the one thing that I remember everything saying was that this was the beginning of the series being gun heavy and focusing less on platforming and more so more on run and running in areas, and it's true. I am torn on that because I feel like the different guns, which this game does offer albeit some of the "new" weapons are practical carbon copies like the star shooting weapon in this game. More enemies=different guns being used and the new feature of this game is not only weapon EXP based off of the damage that comes from your weapon but also your health is done by experience to. You start off with little HP and have to gradually build it as you "level" up in this game by killing enemies but it's all for naught when the damage adds up where end game you can die in 3 good shots by the enemies!

The problem in this case with the enemy overload is at least for the PS3 version of the collection, the slowdown is TERRIBLE. Talking under 15 FPS when you summon the necessary miniturret or agents of doom(AKA Glove of Doom) to help crowd control when surrounded by 5+ enemies that take quite a few good hits to kill. It's borderline unplayable and I shudder to wonder how much better this game is on the PS2 in it's original form! Likewise, in typical old school R&C fashion, the checkpoint system is cruel but in fairness, each section isn't that short but the problem is the damage output from one gunshot wipes out almost half your health so this game more than ever makes you focus on one thing in general:

The need to strafe! You have to learn to love the strafing, R&C 2 tapped into this late game for me but this was the game that made me realize how much of a crutch it is to shift left and right while in combat, shooting down enemies to survive. It's arguable at times that you need to be defensive and conservative in this game due to the ridiculous damage and there were times I had to stay far, far, far back out of the enemy's sight & cheese for the win.

The leveling up system differs here where each weapon has 5 levels, and sort of evolve per say with enough damage dealt from it. It's a really rewarding and satisfying system where your encouraged to drop your level 5 fully maxed out weapon to dapple with another weapon in the effort of boosting it's strength, especially when you run out of ammo on a weapon(Which you will unless you cave into the vendor despite saving up for armor or a new purchasable weapon!). I found myself late game with about 10-12 of my weapons fully charged up!

The story is sorta predictable and pretty clique for the game but honestly the antagonist, the infamous Dr. Nefarius is great and I think is the best antagonist of all of the R&C games(Well of the ones I have played). He has a Robot vs "squishies" mentality that is fueled over his backstory without spoiling too much and he really isn't a total dunce like say Captain Quark is but is still PG enough that he still is funny. The different boss fights in this game are great and I can say easily of the 3 PS2 games, this is the one with the best fights, where each differ in the patterns that are posed against you. Sure, at the end of the day, it's shoot the boss till it dies but the way the combat occurs is refreshing. By no means is this Dark Souls level of deepness as far as bosses go, far from it but you can see how all of the boss fights add to the challenge of Up Your Arsenal. Voice acting is the same as usual, it's just a funny enough game and doesn't lose it's charm in the least bit.

The lone gripes as I mentioned are the ridiculous enemy overload that is thrown at you where the damage output is outrageous but the one other thing I felt was a drawback are the minigames. I found myself dreading some of them like the button press Parappa the Rapper like prompts or the basic and atrocious hoverboard minigame, in large part because you can't gain health at all so your expected to mow down a hoard of enemies with 100 HP that shrinks in about 4 or 5 hits! Some minigames are fun like commanding Quark's newfound monkey friend(Story that takes a lot to explain!) and this game's version of the electrifying but I do think the minigames are mere distractions more than anything. I died twice on one by accidentally touching a laser despite having the necessary gadget around for crying out loud!

Overall, the game is fine and I can say it does not wear out it's welcome but I still think the pecking order of games goes:

R&C: Going Commando
R&C: Up Your Arsenal
R&C 2002

of the major 3. Nostalgia might be the reason for R&C: GC being above all but I think the pace was a tad bit better and the worlds felt larger and had 2 side missions rather than one major one in Up Your Arsenal with a side track that often leads to either a titanium bolt or a side piece. Most definitely, some things Up Your Arsenal does better than Going Commando like the boss fights so by all means, it is still a very fun & playable experience, just if you can, stay away from the PS3 version!

AlanMoore

Feb 22, 2018
Main Post

17. Super Mario 3D World - CEMU PC - 5/5

super_mario_3d_world_bowser_fury_1599214894041.jpeg

This was my first 3D Mario game, and what a fantastic title to get into the series. I'm sure everything about this game has already been said before, but the amount of creativity in most levels, the controls, and movement are perfect. The theatrical presentation, score, and environments are full of life, details, and variety. I love how animated everything is, and even the enemies are dancing to the tunes in the way they move around. The game keeps surprising you with new platforming mechanics, and even in the final few levels, you can never guess what the design team will come up with. Can't wait to play Galaxy in the future!

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
18) Cyber Shadow
This is a tribute to NES platformers, namely Ninja Gaiden. It's not as difficult as those games, but it's still pretty difficult by today's standards. I enjoyed the game for what it was, and getting the power-ups and abilities helped keep the game fresh to a degree, but it's still not a game I plan on revisiting nor highly recommend.

19) Hitman 2
Really enjoyed this game. While I mainly stuck with the story at this time, I enjoyed it a lot and can see myself going back to play through it some more trying to master the stages.

20) Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
Most people here are already well aware of this game, esp fans of the Metroidvania genre. I will say I enjoyed it quite a bit, but conversely feel it didn't bring much new to the genre and there are other recent Metroidvania games that I would recommend more. (e.g. Hollow Knight)

21) Assassin's Creed Valhalla
I'm a big fan of the AC series and I do enjoy the turn the series took with Origins. Valhalla, while a good/great game, is a step back IMO. It's a good game that all fans of the series (esp the latter games) should experience. Some of the good include the sidequests and other "mysteries" in the game. Also, the modern age story is completely re-energized for me. On the flip site, the game does suffer from bloat and could have had about 20 hours cutoff easily.

22) Nioh
Samurai-souls. The game. I didn't play it on PS4, but the PS5 remastered version is sublime. I love the performance and visuals. Easily my favorite Souls-like game not made by From. Easily.

Jul 19, 2020
April
Main post

header.jpg

20. A Way Out

I played through this across a couple sessions with two friends via Steam remote play, with us all swapping controls and characters around every session to try give each person a fair turn. I think it does some smart stuff for making a dedicated co-op action adventure game work. The the way that the split screen layout for each side will dynamically shift position/size as the subject of focus shifts is done well and helps to direct your attention when needed without ever feeling like one side is being shafted, and there's some really clever camerawork later on in the game where when only one person is playing and things shift to the other during a sequence the camera will smoothly transition by panning or moving to another angle/location without interruption. Some of the best setpieces in the game come from this sorta thing where the camerawork just sets up some really dynamic moments.

I also enjoyed the fact the game designers give you plenty of opportunity to just fuck around with your co-player. There's instruments you can pick up and try to set a high score in a simple rhythm game in, baseball bats you can use to try set the farthest hit with, and more so that you've got plenty of opportunities to make your own fun with the minigames. Plus the vehicle sections where one of you drives and the other shoots or both of you have to focus on steering/following one another make for some hectic co-op action that gives both of you plenty of agency. Honestly it does a really good job in general at making you have to work with your partner.

Where I think it kinda falls flat is in the voice acting, script, and first half of the game. The opening is a really slow while you're working through the extended escape sequence with a lot of time spent on just talking, and by virtue of the fact you're trying to get out quietly there's very few intense moments to break up the monotony. This wouldn't be a big problem if not for the fact the VAs are just...not good. It's not even that the two leads both sound like English is their second language, the voice work just isn't very good and I'd be surprised if either were actually played by regular Voice Actors instead of Actors - there's a tangible difference in the skillsets required for either and I find pretty often that people jumping between the two tend to not be as good at the other as they are at their normal one. Then the actual writing is just sorta meh. Standard crime drama that gets sort of over the top near the end as the stakes ratchet up, I didn't really care for any of the characters by the end and neither did my friends.

So yeah, if it were singleplayer I don't think it'd hold up at all but it's not and thankfully the stuff designed with co-op in mind is better than the storytelling and its presentation is.

header.jpg

21. ABZU
Not at all what I was expecting and honestly I am really glad it wasn't. The tonal shifter around the 75% mark where it suddenly starts going kinda horror-tinged with the deep ocean section and the introduction of the ancient (?) factory was cool to experience without any expectation of that sorta thing being in it, plus the sunken ruins and final glory-run once you reach your full power and go to disable the factory were cool too. I liked the first half for the chill vibes and pretty scenery to explore but that last stretch made the game for me.

OST is pretty nice too, not the kind of thing I'd listen to outside the game normally but I might look into adding some of it to my reading playlist since it's up on Spotify.

header.jpg

22. The Jackbox Party Pack Volume 7
So I'm still probably going to be playing this more throughout the rest of the year but I've now played every game in it a couple times and it feels like a good point to mark it as technically "completed" in a sense. It's a damn good party game and probably either the best or second best of the Jackbox series (after only 3) for me so far. Basically every game in it is really enjoyable besides Blather 'Round which just hasn't meshed well for me yet.
  1. Quiplash is still good clean fun to try make your friends laugh with and the last round has been slightly improved from the second iteration in 3 to be less confusing/hard to quip with.
  2. The Devils and the Details is a fun, semi-cooperative minigame marathon that makes for some, uh, "spirited" discourse as you try to work together enough to hold things together while getting away with as much backstabbing as you can afford and get ahead - I'd honestly love to see some kind of Warioware style game based on this multiplayer concept that takes things further with the minigames.
  3. Talking Points is a super fun improv game where you have to bullshit up a speech based off the most stupid concepts you and your friends help create and deal with a co-ordinator tossing curveballs at you by essentially controlling the powerpoint presentation you're going through as you do so. I think this might be my favourite just for the absolute nonsense you end up spewing while trying to remain vaguely coherent to the original topic prompt.
  4. Champ'd Up is not quite the T-KO successor I was hoping for but is still a pretty fun game to doodle up some weird shit in and see with your friends who can come up with the most funny/bizarre/traumatizing pic+title combos based off everyone's submissions.

header.jpg

23. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
This is my very first ever exposure to Resident Evil, and I played it while streaming it to friends via Steam since we enjoyed playing horror games together as a communal thing back in the before times when Covid wasn't around. I'm aware it's not really representative of the series at large given its new protagonist and first person perspective, but I liked it a fair amount. The writing can be very cliché or dry at times but the atmosphere of the levels and big, interconnected layout of most of them was really fun to delve into - and not just because I had a bunch of people "with" me cracking jokes and sharing in the jumpscare moments. The environments are really well crafted in general, with the exception maybe that the mines were very linear.

I like puzzles, I like environmental exploration, and I really liked how this game does both. Feels like there's a ton of little moments where you can loop back around to get something once you find a new item and be rewarded for remembering stuff that stuck out as out of place or just paying attention in general. I think my biggest complaint would be the combat feels very stiff and the bossfights tended to drag for me as a result since I spent them mostly waiting for stuff to happen/looking for a weakpoint while fighting the controls instead of feeling tense/scared. I don't need it to play like Shadow Warrior 2 or anything but a bit less clunkiness would have been appreciated for them in particular.

Already agreed to do Resident Evil 8 as a group when it comes out now but I may also look into some of RE1/2/3 since they're on sale at the moment and are the "classic" RE titles to my knowledge. Also gonna check out the Not a Hero dlc I own and maybe pick up End of Zoe if it goes on sale anytime soon too.

eyrognP.png

24. Flip Flop Solitaire
It's a Solitaire variant that gives you the option to play with a simplified deck with less suits and has some special rules on what you can stack and how you can move cards. It's good fun, probably the best Solitaire game I've played on my phone so far (barring wild-spinoff ideas like Solitairica's roguelite bossrush format) if for no other reason than it feels very smooth to play and has a snappy/good looking UI and overall presentation. This one is probably finding a permanent home on my phone alongside Super Hexagon, Nonogram.com, etc. as something to play during breaks from work and such.

header.jpg

25. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
So this game is the first indie I ever bought with my own money on release day and found myself disappointed with, which in hindsight is sort of impressive given I was fully in on indie gamea by 2013 when I got my first ( kinda crappy) laptop and could only play the lowest spec games possible on it without it running at 12fps or overheating. I found the wide-open level design and the slightly buggy/inconsistent enemy pathfinding extremely annoying and didn't enjoy most of the levels, eventually dropping it on the last Hawaii mission as far as I can recall. The way you could be shot by enemies off your normal field of view combined with the kind of (imo) clunky way the game plays on a controller with regards to unlocking the camera to view further out made it really unenjoyable for me.

So, needless to say, I came at it this time on PC with a mouse and keyboard and found it better. I still don't care for the design philosophy shift with the level layouts, how it went from the flexibility of HM1's masks to giving you much more limited choices per level, or for the story - which I won't bother critiquing because honestly I just amn't bothered trying to dig into something I'm so "meh" on - but it flows a lot better when you can scan further out on the fly while still aiming pretty easily, which made for much, much less frustration overall. Still don't like it as much as HM1 but it's gone from unplayable to alright for me after this new playthrough.

header.jpg

26. Portal: Reloaded
So Portal 2 is one of my favourite games ever but I've never really touched any of the "big" mods for it, mostly just tooled around with some of the levels on the workshop or replayed it instead whenever I felt like it. But this one caught my eye since the time travel mechanic it introduces is something I've talked about before with people as a possible hook I'd be interested to see in a potential Portal 3 (Valve plz) as well as something that iirc was considered at one point for 2 already. After playing this...mixed feelings now on that idea, which I'll get into.

It's a surprisingly whole package in its own right though. There's a fully voice acted story with a GladOS replacement figure acting as your narrator/comic relief source, a large number of test chambers to beat, a clear progression in mechanical complexity that dripfeeds new (well, mostly taken from Portal 2) obstacles or objects to work with in the puzzles, and the puzzles themselves are pretty good overall. The voice acting and writing aren't up to snuff with Portal but that's kind of a bullshit standard to hold a free mod to, and both work perfectly fine all things considered. I will say the ending is a tad abrupt and that I'd have appreciated maybe a bit more buildup/spectacle in it but - once again - for "free" the mod delivers more than enough to cover that.

The time travel mechanic itself is sometimes interesting, sometimes annoying. Wrapping your head around it early once you have free usage of it takes a while due to the slightly arbitrary rules governing it compared to your regular portals, the added "dimension" of it can make figuring out spacial elements of puzzles much, much harder than anything in either Portal 1 or 2, and there's certain things that just aren't communicated very well like what exactly the orange/green barriers do to your portal gun when you walk through one. But at the same time the way it effectively gives you two pairs of connected portals to play around with and lets you really manipulate mechanics like the light bridges or tractor beams in ways the base game never did can be really interesting, and whenever I figured out how to correctly navigate the present/future in tandem to solve something it was pretty satisfying.

So yeah, for what it is this is a really surprisingly competent game. It's got rough edges and the main mechanical hook has issues but as a cool "what if?" for the timeline where Portal 2 kept some kind of time travel in I think it's really neat. It's also now got me interested in a few more big total conversion mods for Portal 2 I've since found out about after looking around once I beat it.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #19 - Outriders
Time: 30+ hours
Platform: Xbox Series X
Rating: ★★★★

Another good game marred by being always online and having a bad launch, it really is a trend these days huh? Anyway, Outriders is a very solid, very fun third person "looter shooter", especially if you play co-op. Great skill system, ton of gear and weapons to collect, it basically checks all the boxes you would want from the genre. It's also VERY janky, feels a bit "loose" to play, it looks good but not amazing, basically a B-Tier game, but I say that with the best intention. I did everything up to endgame where the game unfortunately kinda lost me since the endgame systems don't line up with how I like to play it, but I had a blast finishing it and, hey... its on gamepass (xbox only unfortunately), which honestly makes me more forgiving of its flaws and especially of its launch issues. I would say it's 4/5 on Gamepass, 3/5 for 60€ >_>

Main Post

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
OIP.xYC57ufSRC0q5u9HrV4mLAHaEP

Main Post

6. Loop Hero | ★★★★☆

Loop Hero turn out to be a great work game for me, since you can set it to automatically pause after encounters and upon finishing the loop. I would just let it run and do a minute or two of work, and then glance back over and make my moves. It's been a great joy to play over the past few weeks, and I'm going to miss it.

I love the concept of Loop Hero. Managing the terrain to tweak risk/reward and create a map that will give you what you need without killing you was great. Trying to figure out the different combinations of how terrain tiles could affect each other was equally awesome. I got many hours of joy out of going on farming runs to build up my camp and craft new items. And trying to figure out which armor to wear each run is very cool, even if it gets a little tedious to check each stat over and over again.

The only shortcomings of the game for me is how quickly it all runs out. I played it for a very long time, but it's ultimately only four levels. There are only two classes to unlock. There are only a handful of landscape interactions, and almost every tile that has an interaction can only interact with one other tile. It could have been a lot deeper and complex, and it would have made for more varied and interesting choices. As it stands, however, it's still a great game that I would gladly recommend.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 06/04/2021

Oh god I am really lagging this year.

Anyway Majora's Mask is wonderful and I love it and playing it these last few days made me love it even more than I have in my other two dozen playthroughs, because it's been long enough I didn't just automatically remember where everything goes so I had to use my brain here and there.

It is a game desperate for the Zelda staple Hero Mode, though. It really is too easy (though I actually straight up died a couple times, which I don't think I've ever done before save for one other low heart run where the Iron Knuckle kept wrecking me).

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
We are a week into April already? My, how time flies. After a brief delay due to procrastination/site problems, here is my March update! Decided to catch up on some EA games taking advantage of an EA Play deal (1 month for 1 dollar). I had 4 completions this month bringing me to 14 completions with a quarter of the year done. I'm on track to hit 52 so yay!

Peggle 2

image_cover.jpg

Many probably remember Peggle 2 for it's infamous E3 reveal, but to me, I was always fascinated by Peggle 2. I had fond memories of playing the original Peggle, so getting a chance to try out the game via EA Play was very exciting for me. The game did live up to it's expectations, it is indeed more Peggle, but that isn't anything to write home about. The core gameplay remains just as solid as the original was, and I never ran into any issues when it comes to the gameplay. The new Peggle masters are not as iconic/memorable as the originals, but their designs aren't inherently bad, and I really did like a lot of them. Their powers were each distinct from each other, so the gameplay never got stale. Also, I was very glad to see the interactive soundtrack return, and some tracks are honestly more memorable to me than the original Peggle's OST. (This soundtrack is very underrated IMO)

My main problem with this game was its presentation. Ignoring any potential nostalgia for the original, EA seems to have taken the somewhat offbeat nature and humor of the original Peggle and interpreted it as something I'll call "lol xD" type of humor. Examples of this kind of childish humor includes stuff like Bjorm farting rainbows, the heads of the goats that live on Jeffrey exploding, and (in my opinion the worst one), Berg mooning you during Fever. This style of humor is very jarring and feels nothing like the original Peggle. It's not like Peggle 2 has terrible humor all around (I like the line declaring the randomness of the pegs awesome game design), but it feels like EA took the wrong aspects of the offbeat humor of the original Peggle. Couple that with the more cartoony, Saturday Morning-esque artstyle, and you have a just ok follow-up to the original Peggle. Nothing terrible, but nothing that elevates it above the original.

Sea of Solitude

capsule_616x353.jpg

This game was a very interesting one. It doesn't feel at all like the stuff EA would put out, and as a first taste of what EA Originals are like, I was both underwhelmed and impressed. I can tell right from the start that this game is a passion project, and its beautiful landscapes of both sea and towns is wonderful. The story is definitely one that will not be for everyone, as mental health struggles are different for everyone, so since the game attempting to tackle different types of struggles, it makes sense that not everyone will resonate with the storyline. I found some parts of the story laughably bad, while others were emotionally compelling and honestly almost had me crying.

Specifically, the first section about bullying was terrible IMO, particularly because the enemies had an annoying line that they just never stopped repeating (if you play the game you know what it is), and it seemed almost way too simplistic. By contrast, the section immediately following that one, about the tricky relationship of the parents really hit hard and felt very nuanced.

Your mileage will vary on whether or not the story hits, but I feel it works for the most part. Unfortunately, the game has many technical issues that are ultimately distracting from the landscapes and story. These issues are always small, but they are annoying and destroy the immersion into the landscape that the devs clearly wanted to focus on. Almost every other game of this type tends to have zero technical issues, so seeing stuff like this is kinda disappointing. Regardless, I do not feel that I wasted time by playing this, and if you happen to have EA Play or see it on sale, I'd give it a recommendation.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

271e1b56-d568-4a83-be63-e6eb2fb4b763

This game was the main reason why I wanted to pick up that EA Play offer. $1 dollar for this was too good to pass up. This was my first taste of Star Wars in videogame form and also my first Souls-like game experience, so it was very interesting. It's a big game thus I have quite a lot of thoughts on this game, so bear with me for a bit.

From a gameplay standpoint, I have very little things to complain about. It's obvious what games it draws for inspiration, but it honestly works all fine. I enjoyed the slow development in abilities, and the game keeps throwing new powers to toy around with frequently. Combat is very fluid, and while you start off with a very clumsy feeling, you end up feeling like an actual Jedi in regard to the visual look of the combat and the quick thinking of your choices. I played it in Normal difficulty, and for the first taste of Souls-like gameplay, it was not super difficult, but there were times where I did get stuck on some bosses (especially near the end). No battle felt unreasonably unfair, and I never once had to lower difficulty, even if I spent a long time trying to beat some battles. I was impressed how even knowing how overpowered Jedi are in the lore, the game never feels too easy, and keeps a steady slow progression of difficulty. Of course, I did play this in the normal difficulty, so your mileage may vary depending on the difficulty you choose.

The game also delivered from a story and atmospheric standpoint. It wasn't trying to push the boundaries of Star Wars storytelling like some of the other side content outside of the videogames, but it does a good job at providing interesting spins on a conventional Star Wars narrative. Cal was a decent protagonist, and you do tend to grow fond of him even if he isn't the most fleshed-out/developed character. The real meat of this game's storytelling is within the side characters and villains.

The conflict between Cere and Trilla was honestly not something I didn't see coming, and it was very compelling to see. Trilla in general was a fantastic villain, and I kinda wished we got to see more of her in this story than we did. Also, Merrin was a nice character that also got horribly underutilized just shortly after setting her up to play a major role moving forward. The flashback sequences were a neat way to introduce the game's abilities, and playing through the events of Order 66 with the original score playing was honestly super fantastic. The big surprise character appearance near the end was also great, even though given how much discourse around his appearance in the game, I kinda thought he would be featured for a bit more than what we do get.

Atmospherically, the game's environments are beautiful, and it was nice to see, even at the lower resolution of my PS4 Slim. Unfortunately, there were sometimes in which the game struggled in terms of framerate, dropping noticeably during some sequences with a lot of assets. My immersion was also ruined at times by glitches, namely those involving the timing of set pieces. These glitches were not frequent, but when they did happen, they were funny to see. (There was one time a boss spawned in T-posing) It's a shame this game wasn't fully optimized for this system, but I understand there are likely technical limitations at play with PS4 Slim, so it gets a small pass.

All in all, I liked Jedi Fallen Order, and I definitely do not regret having played it at all. It definitely was worth the one-month sub to EA Play, and I might try and see if I can pick up a permanent copy of it later on down the line. I would highly recommend playing it if you can pick it up at a discount.

REZ Infinite

rez-infinite-key-art-2560x1440.jpg

When I saw that they were going to give away this game for free on PS4 via Play at Home, I genuinely squealed in joy. Tetsuya Mizuguchi is a fantastic creator in the gaming sphere, with their other works (Tetris Effect, Lumines, Space Channel 5) being absolutely fantastic. I've been eyeing obtaining a copy of REZ Infinite for quite some time now, so getting for free is honestly absurd. I had very high expectations for this game, and in most parts, it sorts of lived up to the hype.

As a fusion of the rhythm and on-rail shooter, the game does work very well. Learning to hold and release to shoot was a bit hard at first, but it eventually flowed naturally. I do however question whether or not it is better to just spam the shoot button or actually hold to get the full 8 shots in, cause in order to lock on to enemies, you need to be very precise. There have been times in which I missed by accident trying to play with locking on all 8 shots. Some of the enemies also don't have very clear indicators of what you are supposed to shoot, and this at times can result in wasting time trying to figure out what part of the enemy are you supposed to aim at. In truth, this doesn't mean much, since the game never posed a challenge until the very last stage.

While some of its gameplay was frustrating to me on a personal basis, that's literally the only real flaws I have with it. In regard to aesthetics and visual presentation, the game is absolutely beautiful. Ran at consistent 60fps, which is surprising considering how many assets and particle effects are in this. While it's fairly obvious that the art style is very aged at this point, it still feels fresh and distinct from other games of the era that still are out there. The rumble of the controller is used well, mimicking the beat of the music, but never becoming distracting from the experience. The music itself is very well made and gave me BIT.TRIP vibes at times. While it's not as good as some of the other games from Mizuguchi (Lumines has a better soundtrack), it is still very distinct and there definitely are some bangers in this OST. (Rock is Sponge and Creation the State of Art are my favorite tracks)

Area X is the new bonus stage, and many say it was the highlight of the short overall experience. Area X adds freedom of movement, which fundamentally changed the experience from on-rails shooter to more freeform shooter-esque things. While the music for this sequence doesn't fit in with the game's original soundtrack at all, and it doesn't flow as nicely as the original game, it still is fairly good, and still feels like that traditional Rez gameplay but slightly modified. Area X feels like a demo for a larger follow-up to REZ that's going to be a couple of years before it comes, but I think with some more refinement to the soundtrack, it can truly be as golden as the original experience.

Overall I enjoyed my time with Rez Infinite, and it definitely was very nice to see this game be handed out for free for many to enjoy.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
18: Tales of Berseria. End: 4/7/2021. (3.5 out of 5)

A traditional fantasy JRPG where you play as an Anti-Hero isn't exactly a new concept, but it isn't usually found in the Tales series. I thought Velvet was an interesting protagonist, probably right up there with Vesperia's Yuri for best Tales protagonist, but I didn't care too much about the rest of the cast. Serving as a prequel to Zestiria (which I played in a previous challenge) didn't do much for me as I'd mostly forgotten that game by this point. And by the end of this one, I was ready to finally finish this game and move on (and not just because I got lost in the last dungeon).

Satisfying enough ending, though.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
14. Super Mario Run Android
15. Super Mario 3D World Switch
16. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD PC
17. Super Mario: Bowser's Fury Switch

Last edited:

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Main post

Wrapping up March 2021:

• 53. Full Throttle Remastered (XSX), around 3 hours (100% achievements)
Played this Lucasarts oldie again mostly for achievements (was never a Full Throttle stan, I much preferred Monkey Island), but thumbs up as always to Mark Hamill's wonderful voice acting. Cartoonishly eeeeevil!
  • 54.Assault Android Cactus (XSX), around 4 hours
ResetEra's own Paz is one of my favorite indie devs, I love the Cook Serve Delicious series... but my favorite game of his will always be Assault Android Cactus. Played the shit out of it on Steam, saw it was on sale for Xbox, bought and beat it again to support the game. One of my favorite twin stick shooters of all time!
  • 55. Undertale (XSX), around 5 hours (100% achievements)
The Xbox port of Undertale looks and sounds great, with the new Xbox exclusive slot machine area in
Papyrus' house
being some pleasant fun (think the casino from Dragon Quest XI). EZ 100%!
  • 56. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (XSX), around 6 hours (beat game, all survived)
What an agressively mediocre game. The most unsatisfying horror game I've played in a while, filled with cheap jump scares and questionable gameplay. And it's buggy too!

A massive disappointment after the greatness that was Until Dawn.
  • 57. Loot Hero DX (XSX), around 1.5 hours (100% achievements)
I turned my brain off, and walked out the other end with 1000G! Very simple, extremely short, but somehow really satisfying just like the Steam version. Level up while walking from left to right baby!
  • 58. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (XSX), around 1 hour (cleared game)
D&D2 is still cheap as hell after all these years, but remains one of my favorite belt action beat em ups. Pure nostalgia!
  • 59. ACA Neogeo: Sengoku 3 (XSX), around 1.5 hours (cleared game, 86% achievements)
... while this game on the other hand I found pretty iffy. Some people in a thread discussing beat em ups were singing its praises, so I decided to give it a shot... I didn't like this game much at all, sadly. The collision detection on the punch attacks is way too exacting - it wont connect with any enemy that isnt on the exact same plane as you, and I'm used to beat em ups with a little vertical "give". The special moves are nice and all, but Battle Circuit did that stuff way better.
  • 60. Adios (XSX), around 2.5 hours (100% achievements)
A very unique "walking simulator" where you play as a farmer who disposes of corpses for the Mafia by feeding the chopped up remains to your pigs. The conceit of the game is spending the day with your Mafia hitman contact after revealing that you want out. Heartfelt and really well written dialogue! A little buggy but not too bad.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
MAIN POST

Time to recap the month of March and its myriad of mediocre JRPGs (plus one excellent shmup).

8. Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ (PlayStation 4) -
★★★☆☆

Tc4N6Hh.png

I wouldn't call Tokyo Xanadu one of Falcom's finest games, but I did end up warming up to it by the end. It's a continuation of the fast-paced, arcadey action of the Zwei series and Nayuta no Kiseki, but instead of a charming fantasy setting this time it's about a bunch of boring high schoolers fighting supernatural "Greeds".

Tokyo Xanadu suffers from being on the same engine as Trails of Cold Steel, which wasn't really designed for action RPGs. The action is smooth but shallow and dungeons are just hallways with the occasional trap. There is some customisation with different elements and orbments to equipment, but all of the characters' skills are so similar that these systems aren't terribly interesting.

Swapping between school life and dungeon crawling is very Persona, but this game's take on Tokyo did feel quite different to Atlus' RPGs. There's no familiar landmarks since the game tries to show the charm of Tokyo's outer suburbs. All of the chatty NPCs seem to know each other and have their own stories that continue throughout the game. This kind of storytelling is similar to the Trails games, although the English localisation isn't even close to the same standard (*chortles*). Tokyo Xanadu is full of genre clichés, but the story does get more interesting by the end. I played it around the 10th anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake and it does seem like parts of Tokyo Xanadu were in response to those events, with characters dealing with the traumatic aftermath of a massive disaster.

At the end of the day, even one of Falcom's weakest titles from the past decade is still pretty dang fun. The story is quite predictable but it's enjoyable to try and clear dungeons as quickly as possible while listening to some great tunes.

9. Crystar (PlayStation 4) - ★★☆☆☆

jEMSkRu.jpg

While Tokyo Xanadu had dull characters and enjoyable combat, Crystar is the complete opposite. In fact, the repetitive hacking and slashing forced me to stop playing it after the first of several endings.

You see, Crystar does that NieR Automata thing where you're expected to play through the game multiple times to see the story continue, but while the combat in NieR was fantastic, Crystar's is not. Even before having to loop through the same chapters I got bored of running through almost identical areas and fighting through the same five enemies over and over.

It's a shame, too, since the premise behind Crystar is so interesting, following four young women as they journey through purgatory, confront past trauma and summon Greek philosophers like they're stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It's the rare RPG that has an entirely female cast, but doesn't go out of its way to sexualize or infantilize them, which was welcome. In the end, I wound up watching the rest of the cutscenes on YouTube. The art and voice work is great, but I would've enjoyed Crystar infinitely more if it were just a visual novel.

10. Sakura Wars 4 (Sega Dreamcast) - ★★★☆☆

nU7Z4kf.jpg

After the spectacular Sakura Wars 3, this fourth entry in Sega's dating sim/strategy game hybrid was a noticeable step back, but that's to be expected given it was rushed out in a year because the Dreamcast was dead. The game's short length would've been disappointing back in 2002, but now I can think of it as being like the shorter movie follow-up to a three-season anime series.

Interestingly, you can transfer all your save data from the previous Sakura Wars games on the console, letting protagonist Ogami continue his romantic relationships. This ends up resulting in a huge number of potential love triangles, although they're resolved a bit too quickly and neatly.

Once again, the game is split between adventuring around your theatre home and tactical mech battles, although these strategy parts are barely there this time. Not only is there no challenge but there are only three battles in the whole game so you might not even field all of the characters in combat.

Despite the short length and some characters that would be considered extremely Problematic these days, Sakura Wars 4 is a nice conclusion to this slice of the series. In the emotional ending Ogami finally ends up with one of the girls (or not), there's a moving montage of scenes from the series and it even concludes with your drunk former commander basically saying "wow, those really were some Sakura Wars."

11. Golden Sun (Game Boy Advance) - ★★☆☆☆

cF5Mub8.jpg

I know this is held up as a classic GBA title, but I didn't end up enjoying the original Golden Sun at all. The story was dull, with endless emote-filled exchanges between a team of four heroes that are almost completely devoid of personality. They also don't manage to accomplish much before the game suddenly ends.

There are at least some neat mechanics at play. Each of the characters can use different elemental powers to navigate dungeons and solve problems. Some of these skills, like Ivan's mind-reading ability, are interesting, but so many of the puzzles just boil down to pushing blocks. Another thing that sets Golden Sun apart from other RPGs is the Djinn system. You can equip elemental creatures you find in your adventures, which can then be either equipped to use more powerful classes or used in battle for powerful skills and summons. Since you can set or unleash them in fights it creates a nice risk/reward dynamic, but you don't get enough Djinn to use any of the more interesting classes until the end of the game. You also pretty much need to use a guide to find all of them since some only appear as random encounters in specific areas.

The sprites and crazy particle effects must have looked great at the time and Motoi Sakuraba's prog rock battle themes aren't completely mangled by the GBA's sound hardware, but I don't think Golden Sun is worth revisiting, nor will I probably bother with The Lost Age.

12. Ketsui Deathtiny (PlayStation 4) - ★★★★★

xmslNKE.jpg

I got a one-credit clear in this challenging Cave shooter! Sure, it was on super easy mode but it still counts, right?

This was the first of M2's ShotTriggers releases I played and it sure seems like the gold standard for ports of old arcade games. There's a lot here to make the game more accessible, from the customisable widgets that surround the action to the training modes that break the stages down into short chunks. Ketsui isn't my favourite of Cave's shmups, but this PS4 version is an excellent package that makes me want to try and master this title (or at least figure out the scoring system).

Next month... I used my Apple Arcade trial like everyone else.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Guess this is my April post!
Main post

header.jpg

19. Outriders - (6.I can't stop playing/10) 4/4/2021- PS5 Video Review!
I genuinely am surprised I like this game so much. I wrote it off at first trailer like most others but something clicked and I grabbed a copy on launch day. The loot progression is so damn good in this game and never feels like a burden or stressful. It's not an amazing game but damn if its loot and mod system isn't just great. It's a damn mess though technically at the moment. It needs fixes and needs them now. If the so called co-op really worked I'd be all about giving this an 8.5 or a 9 but it doesn't for the general public despite it being an always online game. This is one of those games I keep praising but would never recommend at the moment. I hoping to give it the +3 point bump soon but it all depends on if the necessary fixes drop before I lose interest. Also the legendries in this game are SICK looking.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
main post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2021.354148/page-12#post-62173600
  • Mega Man 3 (Wii U) ★★½☆☆
  • Mega Man X (Wii U) ★★★½☆
  • Mega Man 4 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆
  • Mega Man 5 (Wii U) ★★½☆☆
  • Mega Man 6 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆

now i've completed all the mega man nes games. the first was on the nes or gamecube years ago. the second was in the mega man anniversary collection, and the remaining four were on the wii u this year.

what's interesting is how the first four are all doing something to permanently change the core gameplay. mega man 2 standardizes eight robot masters. mega man 3 adds the slide and introduces rush. mega man 4 settles the formula into into robot masters -> fortress 1 -> fortress 2, and introduces the charge shot which is shockingly not in the first three mega man games. as someone who had grown up not really having played mega man but having a pretty good understanding of the character through the marvel vs. capcom games and other appearances, the lack of a charge shot was a pretty big surprise.

the nes games absolutely hold up though, and that's rare for the platform. while i loved those games as a kid, it's really hard to go back to most games from that era for me. what helps is that the mega man games were made relatively late in the nes's life. playing mega man 5 and mega man 6, those nes games felt more like an aesthetic to a formula instead of early exploration into the sidescrolling shooter genre.

right after 3, i did play through x. initially the plan was to jump around between x, og, and zero, but i think the actual progression of the series is kind of interesting. i think it would be harder to go back to the nes games anyway. next up is either 7 or x2. i've always preferred the look and movement of the x games, but the og series seems to be a lot more consistent.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
2557697-candy%20box%202.png

Main Post

7. Candy Box 2 | ★★★☆☆

This is an ASCII Clicker RPG from 2013 that I only recently discovered. It interested me for a number of reasons, one of which being that it's playable in browser and has an ending, meaning it's something I could play and beat at work. And while I enjoyed my time with the game, it started off far bar than it ended.

The game begins in a familiar way. You generate one candy every second or so, and then you can choose to either eat the candy or throw it on the floor. There are benefits to both options, but if you let your candy stash grow large enough you get a third option. It is through this third option that the game opens up into something resembling an RPG, with a world map, an inventory, and even a few stats. There is a town and shops, and there are combat areas.

The combat mechanics are simple but effective. Your character walks from left to right, running into enemies until your or they are dead. Eventually you gain the ability to click a few buttons at the top of the screen to perform additional commands. This makes you feel more in control of combat, but it also serves as one of the more frustrating parts of the game. By the end of the game there are something close to a dozen buttons for you to click. Each button has a hotkey, although many of these are unintuitive and use the full range of the keyboard, so I found it only possible to really use two or three at a time. By the end of the game, each encounter has so much going on with various time-sensitive actions you must perform near perfectly to succeed

The second source of frustration is the way you are expected to progress through the campaign. In the beginning, things are very intuitive. You wait for candy to generate. You click around and find cool secret items. You explore. The world map opens up as you clear various areas, meaning that at a given moment there are only one or two new areas for you to go to. It's a good system for keeping the player pointed in the right direction. Towards the end, however, the game begins to open up. And although this game looks like an RPG, progression is ultimately hardlocked to doing things in a certain order because every encounter is a gear check. So as the game opens up and every new encounter kills you faster than the last, it becomes difficult to tell which areas you should attempt to struggle through and which areas you should save for later.

All of this in addition to the fact that Candy Box 2 is full of secrets. There's some pixel hunting in this game. There's a lot of waiting for candy to generate and then possibly wasting it by spending it in the wrong way. There are some areas that you think you are done with but you need to go back to and that's a secret. Some secrets just make the game easier, but most of the really hidden stuff is necessary to progress. And there is no system in the game to point you in the right direction except for the link to the wiki at the bottom of the page. I ended up checking that wiki more than a few times by the end of the game, and I'm someone who almost never uses a guide or Google when playing games.

So there are a lot of negative things to say about Candy Box 2, but three stars is a pretty good score in my book, so why? Well, the game is still pretty good, it turns out. At least good in the sense that it's free and you can play it in your browser when you have a few minutes to kill. And the ASCII art is really well done. Even some of the more action-based sequences work pretty well with the art. For most of the game I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit. It was only at the end that things fell apart for me. And the fact that it's a perfect work game definitely earns it a few points in my book.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
47. Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss

Pretty challenging bosses though the 2nd boss gave me trouble due to how dark and black everything is in its boss arena which likely impacted my reactions and making me wonder if I rolled properly or not. Enemies hit harder too, not something I expected this late in the game :V

48. Dark Souls
d359a421d349f4b87b2c2d92090df2ad.gif

I've finally gotten to play the legendary Dark Souls and overall I quite enjoyed it....outside of the online invasion elements. I really liked its RPG elements and the journey was quite satisfying and tense. Bosses offered a nice challenge although their BS remains BS.

Jan 10, 2019
Bit of a short and overdue March update, but here it goes!

Completed: 15/52

Main post.

x7cOk7X.jpg

The Pathless | PS4 | 12/03/2021 | ★★★★☆
This was on my list for a while and I'm glad I played it! I didn't quite like the (albeit unique) traversal mechanics at first, but they grew on me and by the end I was loving it. The soundtrack is nothing short of amazing and the puzzles were clever and the mechanics to solve them were fun. The bosses are well designed, but I'm not the biggest fan of the overly scripted nature of them. I had a lot of fun playing this and went straight for the platinum, which took me around 12 hours.

mBBZQzP.jpg

Gorogoa | PS4 | 13/03/2021 | ★★★½☆
Not much to say about Gorogoa, but I thought it was fantastic at what it did. It's unique, it's clever and it looks great. I completed this after around 2 hours. Shouts to my girlfriend for getting the speedrun trophy as well.

cMZlUpx.jpg

Morbid: The Seven Acolytes | PS4 | 21/03/2021 | ★★★½☆
Morbid is essentially an isometric 2D horrorpunk action RPG, which sounds good to me! Nothing was absolutely amazing, but I liked my time with it a lot. I would say it's really accessible as well and I have to give credit to the devs for making something like this and consistently delivering patches to optimize the experience. It took me about 10 hours to get the platinum.

H92HfzW.jpg

Evan's Remains | PS4 | 22/03/2021 | ★★½☆☆
So, yeah... I didn't like the story at all. I've seen people either love it, or absolutely hate it. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it genuinely left me indifferent for some reason. The puzzles were actually fine, although I often thought a fairly difficult one was followed by a really easy one, which was kind of confusing. It's probably not a bad game, but it just wasn't for me. It took me 3 hours to finish.

swaaGTw.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 35 | Switch | 31/03/2021 | ★★★½☆
March 31 was stated to be the last day this was playable, so it made sense to add it here on that day. However last time I checked it was still playable, so I don't know what's up, Nintendo? Anyway, it was nothing grand like Tetris 99, but it was good and I had fun with it! I played this around 5 hours in total and got first place a few times.

Oct 27, 2017
18. Wilmot's Warehouse - 9.5 hours - 4/5

This is a very good and novel puzzle game. I'm impressed by how much the game's designers created a puzzle framework that relies on the idiosyncrasies of how players categorize symbols. While it's not entirely random - there are purposeful similarities between icons - the possibilities of how to interpret and sort the puzzle pieces that the game provides is extremely wide. Few games sit in that realm of ambiguous interpretation and puzzle solving. The Witness comes to mind, but even that game had a more determined framework for puzzle solutions (and a vastly more pretentious tone). In Wilmot's, on the other hand, it's almost entirely up to the player to both deal with the ambiguity of the puzzle and create solutions that will work for them. However you can sort the pieces so that you can rapidly bring a small selection of them to one spot on the warehouse wall is the right way to do it.

The game also maintains a subtle, sardonic sense of humor throughout as an undercurrent to Wilmot's cheery face, the omnipresent tinkling of the background muzak, and the brightly colored icons that pour into the warehouse anew at two-and-a-half-minute intervals. The ending is just what I expected. For folks who would call this "Amazon warehouse simulator," well, the designers have you pegged.

The only things that get in the way of the game are the repetition of that muzak and, perhaps, its length. By the time I was at around 150 of 200 stocked items, I had a firm grasp on what the game was all about. There weren't too many twists caused to my categorization scheme by the addition of another 50 icons - rather, things simply took a little more time to sort. The main destabilizing force in the last quarter of the game is adjusting to the sudden influx of a large stock of icons that previously only existed in small numbers. There wasn't quite enough variety to carry this one all the way through, although the puzzle remained fun throughout.

19. Va11-Hall-A - 8 hours - 3/5

While Va11-Hall-A emphasizes style, it's so much style over substance. As a visual novel, this is a game in a genre that lives and dies by writing. Unfortunately, my diagnosis for this one is a case of internet poisoning, in which a couple game developers hung out on fora and let that guide style, character, and humor.

Even so, there are still some interesting things about it - the insistence on setting up the jukebox before each shift, the main character's narrative arc that's centered around grief and fear, the way the world's events unfold around the bar rather than within it - so I would say it accomplishes some of what it means to in terms of storytelling

The bartender mechanic is one of the weakest of the genre, though, and it doesn't stand up particularly well next to the convenient puzzling of Coffee Talk or the more active and varied effects that drinks have in Red Strings Club. Honestly, the game was a little more fun on the days where I let the main character be "distracted," which meant that I at least had to remember drink orders myself. There are a few moments in each shift where there's some variability in terms of what you can serve, but it doesn't lead to much more than a small difference in dialogue or, at most, the appearance of an optional character.

20. Crazy Taxi - 3 hours - 3/5

After grabbing all licenses, from "C" to "S" rank, in both Original and Arcade, I'm counting this one as finished. There are a few interesting design quirks to Crazy Taxi, with its rank chasing limited to how much money players can collect in about 10 minutes. Playing the timed 10-minute mode is a challenge itself, but rank chasing while keeping the arcade clock running is another thing entirely. The puzzles of the crazy box aren't great - while funny, the game is too imprecise for the timing.

21. Yakuza Kiwami - 43 hours - 4/5

This one has a good central story, and the revamped combat as built around 0's systems carries the moment-to-moment well. The Majima Everywhere system and some of the stories and lines that link it to the rest of the series are good too. However, few substories shine, and the decision to incorporate minigames into substory completions pads things out too far. Still, it's the original start to Kiryu's story and a fun game. It just doesn't hit the same highs as others in the series.

Main Post

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD
COMPLETED | 30

Quick update

30Master.png

• Blazing Lazers - Probably the best Shmup I have played so far to date.
  • Final Fantasy VII - After a late game save corrupt as a kid, I finally came back 20+ years later with full restart and completion. It was well worth the playthrough and probaly in my top 10 RPGS of all time. I really loved the mechanics in the game and the characters are really good.
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - A great re-interpretation of FFVII. While it doesn't carry as tight of a story as VII, its small moments and insane detail leaves you with a smile on your face from start to finish
  • Resogun - Fun short Shmup. Plays really well still and nice to pop in for a few rounds here and there.
  • Cho Aniki - A body builder Shmup. Its wackyx1000 , but its unique sprite works makes an average game into something I will always remember.

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

March update: 12/52

Beat four games in March, but I'm honestly not sure how since I can only remember playing parts of Ikaruga over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I'll do my best to describe my experience with the other games though!

aWte8iG.jpg

9. March 7th | Resident Evil 5 | Playstation 4 | 10h 40m | ☆☆½(/5)
So once again the month starts off with another Resident Evil game beaten, but for the first time since I started my little marathon it was one of the few numbered games I hadn't played before. I was a bit hesitant to play it before since I heard it wasn't that good in single player and I didn't have anyone to play it with in multiplayer (which everyone says is great), but I do now, so... I finally played it.

And it's good + a lot of fun! I'm not over the moon over how Chris, Sheva and Wesker are the three main characters of the story and barely have any characterisation whatsoever, or the fact that the majority of the game is set in places looking basically exactly the same with some minor variations in their shades of beige within beige within beige. Not really sure about the story either, or the fact that some bosses have WAY too much health. I feel like the racism of the game has to be mentioned as well. I'm not too bothered by it since it feels more built on a lack of knowledge than being activelly malicious, but it's certainly a bit problematic especially during the beginning chapters (I think the first line of the game is literally "welcome to Africa", which is such a strange thing to say. I wouldn't welcome someone to my country by saying "Welcome to Europe").

Still, though, there's a lot of fun to be had here in the gameplay department. Outside of an awful split-screen, playing RE5 in multiplayer (couch-co op) was one of the most fun experiences I've had with a game in a long time. It's basically just a more refined RE4 which is obviously pretty great, and during those fights in larger arenas where you and your partner run around and scream at each other to exchange ammo or resuscitate when one is down, or to stick close because this is way too much for one person to handle, it's such an exhilarating experience and satisfying too, at least when your partner doesn't let you down and you act passive aggressive towards each other for the next few minutes. When it suddenly clicks, it's so damn good and you forget about all the issues the game has. It's just you, your partner in this incredible action game that wastes absolutely none of your time with anything other than enemies constantly swarming towards you. Though sometimes it also lets you fire a rocket at Wesker who stops it in the goofiest way.

Resident Evil 5 is definitely not a perfect game and I prefer 4 over it, but when the gameplay really clicks and you're frantically trying to survive because you're playing like a reckless idiot few co op multiplayer games I've played even comes close to the fun I had with it. I mean, we finished it in two sittings, with the second one lasting for about seven hours. That says something about how fun and addicting the gameplay is.

Soundtrack highlight:
Sad But True

kJZRNLm.jpg

10. March 22nd | Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition | Playstation 3 | ~1hr | ☆☆☆☆½(/5)
I certainly didn't plan on beating Street Fighter III this month, but the news of the Playstation 3 store closing made me nostalgic over the games I own digitally on it, and Street Fighter III is one of those that I've had for several years but never actually beat. Now, what "beating" a fighting game really means is probably more complex than most games since people mostly play them for their online, or locally with friends. Is beating the game winning a certain number of games or achieving the hightest rank? Maybe, but to me who isn't interested in playing most fighting games online I just count clearing the arcade mode as beating it. No crazy rules or anything. No 1cc or highest difficulty. Just defeating every opponent. I'm bad enough at most fighting games that even with unlimited credits finally beating the boss is satisfying, and especially in Street Fighter III where your final opponent is Gill who can heal himself when his health bar's been emptied.

I'm obviously no expert at fighting games, but I have played enough to at least know that Street Fighter III is really good. The controls are fluid and responsive, the parrying is a terrific mechanic that's easy to use but probably incredibly difficult to master, and the whole things has some of the most fluid animation I've ever seen in a video game. The small move pool for the characters (at least the ones I tried out) could be seen as an issue I guess, but I thought it was really interesting since it made combos almost nonexistent (at least to me and my AI opponents), making fights feel more slow paced and tense instead of overwhelming and "oh my god why did I lose in five seconds".

I couldn't tell you if SF3:3SOE (which is an amazing acronym, btw) is well balanced or not, but I also don't really care. I just want relatively flashy but still easy to keep up with fighting, accompanied with an amazing look and sound design, which this game has. If I ever were to actually try and get good at a fighting game, it'd probably be this one. I mean, if it wasn't 21 years old and everyone online weren't seasoned pros since decades back.

Soundtrack highlight:
Crazy Chili Dog

oeaEoOo.jpg

11. March 28th | Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge | Playstation 4 | 1hr 41m | Replay | ☆☆(/5)
I did plan on playing Belmont's Revenge sometime during the year, but just like Street Fighter III, not during March. I was just so burned out on Ikaruga and felt like I was getting worse and worse instead of improving, so I decided to take a break and play something else.

Castlevania: The Adventure is maybe the worst Castlevania ever made and a genuinely bad game, but I'd played Belmont's revenge years back and liked it a lot back then. I still enjoy it and it's a huge improvement over its predecessor, but I see more issues with it now than before. Worst of all is the difficulty. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is an incredibly easy game for the most part. The fact that you choose which one of the first four stages to play makes it so that there can't be a real difficulty curve as every one is designed so that it can be beaten as the first stage, and even though they're all definitely harder than most Castlevania first stages, the fact that the difficulty is so low across the board makes the experience a bit unfulfilling. I don't demand high difficulty in my games, but Castlevania kind of needs it as the actual gameplay is so basic. You walk on a predetermined path, sometimes jumping, sometimes whipping, and there's not much more to it, and that's fine but it could be a lot better. With a higher difficulty the simple premise is turned into something much more interesting where the goal and how to achieve it are both so clear to see to anyone playing even the first time, but actually managing to do so becomes a sort of puzzle.

Then again, making something too hard can also be a problem and somehow Belmont's Revenge has this issue as well. Very easy for four-five stages and then you face the penultimate boss who's, like, the hardest boss in all of Castlevania. With a more logical difficulty curve this might have been an okay fight, but in this cakewalk of a game it comes out of nowhere and just wrecked me over and over again until I beat it by what was probably pure luck. Not even Dracula (who's also much harder than everything else in the game, but at least has a pattern that's not too hard to memorize) reaches that level of difficulty, and... I don't know. Just feels like bad design to me.

The game looks and sounds absolutely incredible though. Some of the stage backgrounds are honestly awe inspiring when taking into account that they were made with the game boy hardware, and the soundtrack. The soundtrack! I'm at a loss for words when thinking back on some of the themes. Just incredible.

There are without a doubt better Castlevania experiences out there, but this is still a fun albeit flawed game that really took every flaw from The Adventure and improved on it.

Soundtrack highlight:
Praying Hands

JBjRSbG.jpg

12. March 30th | Ikaruga | PC | 47hrs | ☆☆☆☆(/5)
I usually don't get emotional with games. I play them. I enjoy them. They're a fun hobby. Ikaruga, though, is not fun and during most of my time with it I certainly didn't enjoy it, which is all my fault. Most people who are as bad at shmups as I am wouldn't try to make Ikaruga their first 1CC, but I thougt "how hard could it be?", and embarked on a trip to hell. I've read about people who played it and are like "for some reason I wasn't mad when dying, it just made me more determined" which I guess is nice, but let me tell you: I do not get angry easily, but Ikaruga drove me crazy. I just kept dying over and over, and even when I started getting decent at it, there were times where I just dropped my concentration a bit because it was the first stage that I'd played a million times over and I'd get hit by a stray bullet, resulting in my death (both in the game and at least a part of me in real life), which meant restarting all over again as I knew I wouldn't be able to beat the game if I didn't have all my extra lives for the final stage. It was a soul crushing experience which only got worse when my right key stopped working properly (my inputs would register only when I pushed it really hard in a very specific spot) and I thought all that time playing it was for nothing since it was basically impossible to play anymore.

So I took a break for a couple of days, but I'm an idiot when it comes to games and can't abandon ones I've started unless I'm either extremely bored or hate the fundamental gameplay (like Resonance of Fate, for example), and while I definitely didn't enjoy my experience with Ikaruga, I didn't actually hate the gameplay. It was actually the complete opposite. It's a genius shoot 'em up which allows and sometimes even rewards you playing defensively. It's almost like a very deadly rhythm game where making the right move at the right time is key and nothing is randomized (at least I don't think so?). Anyway, after a couple of days I thought "maybe one final try until a buy new keyboard" because, like I said, I'm an idiot. So I booted up the game once again, knowing that this would be another failed attempt.

DzLwWFM.png

I beat it. 1CC on arcade mode. Just like that. I don't think I'll ever do something similar again, but after all those hours, all that anger and hateful thoughts aimed at the game, I felt such satisfaction and at peace within myself. It's just a video game, but somehow over all the hours and failed attempts, it became so much more.

"I will not die until I achieve something.

Even though the ideal is high, I never give in.

Therefore, I never die with regrets."

"Alas, Ikaruga is going . . .

Undesired, unwanted them, What makes them go?

It is nothing else than the principle of the man who has the reason for being."

"The stronger the will you have, the more you will face various trials.

Although you can choose to escape, "Trial" has a message for you to conquer yourself.."

"There is no "absolute" in this mundanity.

Occasionally you get lost facing unreasonable burdens.

In order to overcome, you need a firm conviction, penetration, and the ability to take action."

"Is this what we wished for?

Don't worry, we will understand each other some day.

And the life is succeeded into to the distant future."
Soundtrack highlight:
Metempsychosis

Currently playing:
Resident Evil 6
Persona 5 Strikers

Last edited:

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
drake-hollow-button-01-1590023613802.jpg

Main Post

8. Drake Hollow | ★★☆☆☆

Going into this, my group thought this was going to be an openworld surival game like Grounded or Valheim. The screenshots and trailers show off basebuilding, combat, and foraging for goods, so it looked right up our alley.

Unfortunately, we were way off the mark. Drake Hollow does have these elements, but every gameplay mechanism in Drake Hollow is implemented in the shallowest way possible. Basebuilding is rudementory and only done to provide for the titular drakes (tiny creatures you rescue and must care for). Exploration is basic and provides no sense of discovery. Combat is barebones, with only a handful of monsters to fight and just as many abilities to fight them with.

In a lot of ways, Drake Hollow feels like it was meant to be much bigger than it turned out to be. The game revolves entirely around exploring tiny islands, finding a few useful items (mostly crafting ingredients and new drakes) and then moving on to next island. There are only four areas (each of which is comprised of 20 or 30 of these tiny islands). The whole affair is over just when it feels like its really getting started. Honestly, it feels like an early access game that's waiting for the other 80% of its development to take place.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played that one! What made it so good?

I have not played a ton to be fair, but why it's my favorite so far is it plays really well.

The upgrade system is pretty interesting as drops are regular and let's you build up different attack sets (which if you die in am area, your next time through you have a better idea which color to buildup).

You can change the speed of your ship anytime (4 or 5 different speeds), you could be slow and precises or very fast and agile but also harder to dodge tight spots.

Bosses are fairly well done, and some of the later levels are pretty unique in art style (not just a ship shooting in space).

The game is also really manageable, for a SHMUP from early 90s, which normally have hard arcade difficulty, it keeps the challenge but never goes over the top (besides one small section on least level, but even that maybe I just needed a little more practice). Part of it is back to the upgrade system above as while you build up your upgrades, getting hit has the reverse effect on them

Made by Hudson/Compile, released in Japan as Gunhead

MemoryPak recommend it to me and I can highly recommend it as well!

AlanMoore

Feb 22, 2018
Main Post

20. Mirror's Edge 3/5

I'm pretty conflicted on this. On one hand, the part where you're doing all the acrobatic stuff is excellent. I had a lot of fun, even in the more frustrating areas. There's nothing like it, and I appreciated the really difficult sections near the end. The game looks amazing even after 12 years and has some of the best lighting, and color usage I've seen in a game. Even effects like Depth of field and blur are used tastefully to enhance the experience.

17bqVs8.jpg

That said, the game, unfortunately, features some of the worst combat encounters I've seen. The combat is undercooked, boring, and downright frustrating. The game pushes you in these more than necessary, and it's clear that it was tacked on. The story is cliched and predictable, but ultimately harmless. Faith is fine, and the supporting characters are whatever.

It's a great game ultimately bogged down by some silly choices. The combat encounter in the final mission is so bad, and it's shocking because they already had one of the best parkour sections in the mission before it. That should've been the ultimate test instead of a boring combat encounter where you're literally running around in circles waiting for the AI to slip up.

I still highly recommend it, for the parkour stuff, because there's nothing like it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
19: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game. End: 4/12/2021. (3.5 out of 5)

Still a pretty solid beat-'em-up even after all these years.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

14. Exile's End - PSTV - Score - 7/10
I believe I got this from PS+ a few years back and never really bothered looking into it. I am glad I randomly decided to play it. It's kind of a metroidvania game that is really tough at the start and slowly gets easier up to the ending. It's super short and a lot of fun once you start to get the hang of it.

H2x1_WiiUDS_ExilesEnd_image1600w.jpg

15. Super Mario Bros. All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. - SNES - Score - 7/10
The SNES aesthetics still don't do it for me. It definitely doesn't play as tight but it's still a charming experience. Still best to play the original!

marioas.jpg

16. Unmechanical - PS4 - Score - 8/10
Another random PS+ game to play and another win. This was a fun little puzzle game that wasn't too hard to figure out. You can only do so much which helps weed out confusion. If you like puzzle-ish games this is worth a visit.

09092c6d64387dcf710b2e1b7d7c1ac552e876d4.jpg

17. Wreck-It Ralph - Wii - Score - 4/10
Yikes. A movie based on video games should lead to at least a fairly decent game...nope. My son picked this up at the library and he wanted me to beat it. It was maybe 2 hours long of platformer levels that all felt the same. There is barely any challenge until the final boss and it's more due to awful controls. Don't touch this one.

mqdefault.jpg

18. Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts - SNES - Score - 8/10
Way better than the NES original. The music is fantastic and the challenge I felt was more fair. The double jump helps a ton. I was able to play through the quest twice and beat it with the bracelet. Definitely hard but way more manageable and fun to play that the NES one.

super_ghous_n_ghosts_01.jpg

19. Contra III: The Alien Wars - SNES - Score - 7/10
I found this game incredibly hard and found out at the end that I needed to play on the hardest difficulty to get (upon youtube viewing) a pretty crap ending. The game is solid but they took the challenge to some ridiculous heights and by the end of the game I was over it.

contra_III_snes_classic_05.jpg

20. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - PS4 - Score - 8/10
I have picked up and put this game down more times than I can count. Way back in the PS2 days to now. A few friends of mine swore by it, and I love platformers, but this one never stuck. I finally hunkered down to see it through and ended up enjoying the majority of it. I found every fly and powercell and thought it was a blast. I absolutely hate the camera and jumping though. I don't know if the jumping is super sensitive or what but I had a lot of issues comfortably jumping when I needed too. Interested in Jak II but I know people dislike the tone change.

MV5BODJmMTk3YTUtNjNmYi00NjA1LWI3MDktOGU3OTVkZGYzNzJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NTM3ODA@._V1_.jpg

21. Captain America: Super Soldier - PS3 - Score - 7/10
I have loved Captain since I was young and really enjoyed the Marvel movies as they came out. Time does a funny thing to me in regards to games. This game came out, I thought it looked average and figured I would be bored playing it. Fastforward to now and I have a weird affinity for games like this. So I searched this out at the library and decided to give it a go. I am glad I did, it was actually quite fun. It's short and not too hard. Definitely has an Arkham-lite combat style. If you like Captain, it's worth a try. I am intrigued in the other "average" marvel games that came out like Iron Man 1/2 and Thor. Maybe I will give them a go.

images

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8. Demon's Crest - 13/04/2021

I beat it.

Last edited:

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know how I forgot to post my beaten games here, but I did. 3 games beaten in February, 4 in March, and so far I have 6 in April. Doing pretty well all things considered. Been checking out indies on Apple Arcade which has been pretty great. Got another 6 lined up there, too.

Click here for my original post with all of this compiled nicely!

Wow. It's a lot of games. Here's the text list:

4. Godfall (PS5) | 4th Feb - 10hrs | 2/5
5. Bayonetta (XSX) | 9th Feb - 11hrs | 3/5
6. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) | 21st Feb - 7hrs | 5/5
7. INMOST (iOS) | 7th March - 4hrs | 4/5
8. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch) | 14th March - 28hrs | 4/5
9. The Banner Saga (Switch) | 25th March - 11hrs | 3/5
10. NBA 2K21 (PS5) | 26th March - 22hrs | 3/5
11. Monster Hunter Rise (Switch) | 4th April - 29hrs | 4/5
12. Little Orpheus (iOS) | 6th April - 4hrs | 2/5
13. Necrobarista (iOS) | 6th April - 5hrs | 3/5
14. Resident Evil 6 (PS5) | 7th April - 16hrs | 1/5
15. Yakuza 0 (XSX) | 11th April - 35hrs | 5/5
16. WHAT THE GOLF? (iOS) | 13th April - 3hrs | 3/5

I thought about adding the write-ups for each of them here, but that would end up being way too long of a post. Still, a lot of fun and a good ways to go to reach 52 again!
AmrVe9W.png
5l1ICnt.png
CrCOiTs.jpg
eC51Ngh.png
gfhT34s.png
kszyCxX.png
HXvdSk3.png
89WbygQ.png
4e0wUGG.png
XSR9Q4W.png
9u9P3mN.jpg
ZkPwyoo.png
Y9oZ645.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
20: Gato Roboto. End: 4/14/2021. (3)

Sometimes you just need to unwind and play a short game about a cat exploring a weird alien world in a robot.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
21: Deliver Us the Moon. End: 4/14/2021. (2)

A game about exploration and deep lore should be right up my alley, but I was fairly indifferent to this game. I also found the last act a massive pain.

Oct 27, 2017
No. 22 - DOOM - 5 hrs , 4/5

I hadn't really played the original since figuring out console cheat codes on a friend's dad's computer in the 90s. And you know what? It holds up really well. There's still bits of design here that I would like to see more often in shooters, even today. Persistent corpses leave gory breadcrumb trails through mazy levels, every gun has kick in different ways, and you can punch demons to death. Lots to like.

While the spritework is impeccable, I think some of the textures could have aged better. Some doors aren't meant to be secret, but they might as well be if you're unfamiliar. And some of the encounter design, particularly in Thy Flesh Consumed (included in Ultimate DOOM, from what I understand) isn't quite up to the standards of the main three episodes.

Special accomplishment for this one - sometimes, this slapped a big, goofy smile on my face. There are moments when this is just so damn fun to play, I can't help but recommend it. Give it a spin if you haven't before!

Main Post

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
main post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2021.354148/page-12#post-62173600
  • Mega Man & Bass (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (6.5 hours)
  • Mega Man 7 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (3 hours)
  • Mega Man X2 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (2.5 hours)
  • Mega Man X3 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (3 hours)
  • Mega Man Zero (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (5 hours)
  • Mega Man Zero 2 (Wii U) ★★☆☆☆ (6 hours)
  • Mega Man Zero 3 (Wii U) ★★★½☆ (5.5 hours)
  • Mega Man Zero 4 (Wii U) ★★★☆☆ (2.5 hours)
so, playing 13 mega man games in a row for a total of almost 50 hours isn't something i would recommend to just anyone, and while they all follow the same formula, it was certainly interesting to follow the evolution. all of the capcom, 90s-era mega man games have these instances of insane difficulty spikes and frustrating areas or kinda crummy boss fights. the mega man x series introduced a '90s cool' that the original series tried incorporating with bass, to mixed effect. but i love mega man & bass's music, presentation, and bass's movement, especially against that of og mega man, x's, and zero.

moving on to mega man zero and only zero 2 ever gave me any headaches. it was the hardest for me and mostly due to cheap deaths coming from crummy level design. the chain shot just never ever worked either. unlike the capcom series, the story and atmosphere here created a pretty consistent mood across the first three games in the series. although it got old fighting the same recurring bosses across each game over and over, the zero series managed to bring in the x series's serious tone, but actually give it some weight. i think slowing down the game so the player was forced to read what was going on did a lot to help, whereas the 90s mega man games were a lot more focused on gameplay.

although each zero game deals with the fallout of the previous one, it's a shame that zero 4 feels separate from the first three, with an all-new secondary cast that we have to care about. it would have been more successful to have some people in the command center/resistance that have been there since previous entries turn or have something to do. what's there is fine, and ultimately that last shot combined with ciel's hope zero returns makes for an effective final moment.

with that, i've finally come full circle on mega man. i started in the 00s with zx and eventually played through 1, 2, 9, 10, and 11 - but it wasn't until this year that i went back to play all the others that appeared on nintendo consoles initially, or even any of the mega man x games. i'd definitely be down for a continuation. the series never reaches anything that feels amazing, but they're all generally pretty good and fun to play. that said, i'm glad to have nabbed the mega man legends duo (trilogy) from psn, and i'm looking forward to starting that at some point.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
qYks0re.png

22. Habroxia 2 (2021, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Retro-styled twin-stick space shooter with similarities to Darius, but without the ludicrous difficulty. Zoom through space caves, take on bosses with unique behavioural patterns, upgrade your ship between the branching levels, and rescue astronauts like in Defender or Resogun. It's quite fully-featured given the small scope of the project: Habroxia 2 has a (perfunctory) story, 3 unlockable modes, and levels switch back and forth between horizontal/vertical directions.
Minor complaints: due to the twin-stick setup, it uses the analog stick, no D-pad option. Homing shots chase you perhaps a tad too long, and it's a bummer the story conceit does not inform the gameplay (especially since you can save other astronauts). If I remember correctly onpoint worked on this, so I hope fellow shmup fans support this release.

N2NphPZ.png

23. Axiom Verge (2016, Wii U) ★★★★☆
Homage to Metroid, which tries to carve out its own identity by focusing on varied weapons and story, to mixed results. I don't dislike the story, but it suffers from a boring protagonist, and a lot of purposefully mysterious technobabble is thrown around in attempt to imbue the project with more depth than its world appears to support. That said, the world itself is a joy to traverse once your movement options open up, and Axiom Verge has an S-tier soundtrack, so finding new areas is worth it just for more songs.
One chestnut it doesn't crack is how to scale difficulty alongside the player's growth. Besides the first boss, few of the later ones gave me trouble, and I blew through the last three in one go. Most of my deaths were just from carelessly overextending rather than doubling back to savepoints. Difficulty isn't required, but this inverted curve feels unintended.

NjLtCSE.png

24. Shakedown: Hawaii (2019, Switch) ★★★☆☆
What if Scrooge McDuck made GTA 2? Find out in this spiritual sequel to Retro City Rampage. Unlike its predecessor, which often got bogged down in half-baked homages to retro games, Shakedown: Hawaii dials back the variety in sections, meaning you're no longer playing bootleg OutRun, or Smash TV. In return however, it's able to further develop its own strengths.
Chief new addition is the addictive business management aspect lifted from later GTA games. Cruise around town, shake down new stores, expand your business empire through illegal means, and try duping consumers. Want to collect rent through gift cards? Upsell phone insurance by making people slip on banana peels so they drop their phones & crack their screens? Rebrand candlewax as recycled chocolate? It's all possible. The loop gets a bit repetitive (your guy gets scammed by something, tries to copy the scam, fails somehow, repeat), but the game has enough jokes to coast on.

12. Ketsui Deathtiny (PlayStation 4) - ★★★★★
I got a one-credit clear in this challenging Cave shooter! Sure, it was on super easy mode but it still counts, right?

Congrats on the clear! This game looks intimidating, but there's clearly a great rhythm to it. Hope to play it one day.

12. March 30th | Ikaruga | PC | 47hrs | ☆☆☆☆(/5)
I beat it. 1CC on arcade mode. Just like that. I don't think I'll ever do something similar again, but after all those hours, all that anger and hateful thoughts aimed at the game, I felt such satisfaction and at peace within myself. It's just a video game, but somehow over all the hours and failed attempts, it became so much more.

Congratulations on this achievement! 47 Hours, wow. Ikaruga living up to its reputation.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
22: River City Girls. End: 4/16/2021. (3.5)

A fun follow-up to the Kunio-kun/River City franchise. A charming little beat-'em-up that doesn't take itself all that seriously.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9. Banjo-Tooie 17/04/2021

It wasn't a good time (well it was in the first half) but it wasn't a bad one either. Banjo-Tooie starts out really strong as the best kind of Bigger And Better style of sequel but once you get to the latter half of the game it just completely falls apart as the key to lock approach to gameplay dumbs down the experience from completing challenges to just having the right move to use at the right time, and later on the Jiggies become so complex to collect just for one at a time it makes the entire game strenuous. I can't imagine what 100% runs must be like when I get tired out as I approach the last few Jiggies necessary just to reach the final boss.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
9. Banjo-Tooie 17/04/2021

It wasn't a good time (well it was in the first half) but it wasn't a bad one either. Banjo-Tooie starts out really strong as the best kind of Bigger And Better style of sequel but once you get to the latter half of the game it just completely falls apart as the key to lock approach to gameplay dumbs down the experience from completing challenges to just having the right move to use at the right time, and later on the Jiggies become so complex to collect just for one at a time it makes the entire game strenuous. I can't imagine what 100% runs must be like when I get tired out as I approach the last few Jiggies necessary just to reach the final boss.
It's always been the Canary Mary races that have blocked me on 100% attempts, very frustrating after doing pretty much everything else!

I wonder how cheaply I could find an Xbox 360 controller with turbo function. I'd be willing to throw £5 at it, but that's probably too hopeful.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I've been holding off on my March update while I complete the Cube Escape Collection that I was partway through as April started, so with this now being the first weekend since I've beaten all nine games (several of which will be in my April update), here are my eight games for March.

Master post here.

header.jpg

16. Unavowed (PC - Steam) | 8 March 2021
Complete playthrough. The latest offering from Wadjet Eye Games modern masters of the point-and-click adventure game, Unavowed tells a supernatural story in a contemporary setting, with players taking control of a character recently released from demonic possession., who joins the evil-fighting group "The Unavowed" as they seek to understand the motives behind that possession and the 'unpleasantries' committed during it. The plot here is utterly compelling, in an impressively well-realised and internally consistent world, and features a number of impactful, well-judged 'twists'.

Taking place over a series of (mostly self-contained) scenarios that ensure that the complexity of the puzzle-solving stays as a balances level of complexity, perhaps the greatest innovation on offer here is the implementation of a party system, with the main protagonist accompanied to each location by two from the wider group, freely selectable, and the puzzle solutions adapt very impressively to suit any party composition. Those characters aren't merely puzzle-solving devices, though, each having an intriguing back-story to explore, while also really brought to life with conversations that play out between each other without needing player intervention. All realised with some beautifully detailed, high-resolution pixelart and also including a full-integrated commentary mode offering an insight on the development process, Unavowed is right at the pinnacle of its genre.

The-Pathless.jpg

17. The Pathless (PS5) | 11 March 2021
Platinum trophy earned. While mechanically fairly simple, The Pathless is a beautiful open-world adventure from the creators of Journey and Abzu, casting the player as an archer seeking to lift the curse on an island. Largely the gameplay is based around puzzle-solving, making significant use of an eagle companion as part of the necessary interactions - and while these puzzles are never overly challenging, they still manage to evoke a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. These puzzle challenges are scattered around a series of five expansive areas - perhaps somewhat *too* expansive, as it can at times become difficult to find a few particularly well-hidden. I understand the intention behind the game not including a map or any HUD waypoints, as this does genuinely bring benefits to immersiveness, but it also makes navigation more difficult that I'd like - instead, you're forced to make use of an alternative vision mode that highlights points of interest, but this requires line-of-sight. Judicious use of a guide helps to offset this, thankfully.

Despite these navigational frustrations, between each puzzle area, traversal across the world comes with a fantastic fluidity of motion, especially later in the game as you earn upgraded abilities. Boss encounters that become accessible after reaching a minimum threshold of solved puzzles in each area are also a definite highlight in this regard, initially seeing you chasing after each creature, challenged to make use of your movement abilities to catch them.

Loco-Motive.png

18. Loco Motive (PC - itch.io) | 12 March 2021
Complete playthrough. A short but oh-so-sweet point-and-click puzzle game, created in two weeks for a game jam, Loco Motive is the best third-party attempt to capture the feel of classic LucasArts games that I can remember *ever* playing. Tasking the player to solve a murder mystery on a train, a streamlined interface minimises any friction in interactions and the puzzles avoid ever becoming excessively obscure. Where the game really excels is in its superb writing, with a sense of humour evident throughout - there are plenty of somewhat 'fourth wall'-breaking asides to camera from the protagonist - and enhanced by expressive pixel-art. Nods to the absurdity of the seemingly bottomless pockets that so many point-and-clicks rely on are a great example of this, for example - in both dialogue and animation. While you'll be done within about an hour, anyone who's even the slightest fan of the genre should definitely be playing this - especially as it's free!

header.jpg

19. Maquette (PS5) | 14 March 2021
Platinum trophy earned. Certainly interesting in concept, Maquette is a first-person puzzle game based on the concept of objects/interactions within a small central model of the game world being replicated in the world itself - and vice versa. This starts off fairly gently, with the first couple of levels requiring moving blocks, throwing switches and using keys - to open doors, of course, but also as platforms when enlarged, but rapidly gets somewhat more complex, eventually moving to a different area where the whole model can be moved itself within the environment. Particularly about halfway through, to be honest I found the puzzles to be pushing it a bit too far in what was expected of me - there seems no way to guess where a crucial key might be hidden, for example, which means that the steps towards finding it become all the more challenging to determine - and the game doesn't manage to achieve the same levels of satisfaction of some of its contemporaries, such as the excellent Superliminal.

There's a background plot surrounding the puzzle gameplay, based around a man exploring a past relationship from his younger days, but this doesn't really seem to have a great deal of relevance to much of the gameplay and I wasn't a fan of the writing at all, even if the child-like presentation may be deliberate. At somewhere around five hours for a first playthrough - though much less if following a guide, Maquette has a similar brevity to many similar games, though some additional longevity can be gained from attempts at the speedrun trophies - though these are never my favourite of types, especially when there's some occasionally fiddly object manipulation required against fairly unforgiving time limits.

header.jpg

20. Down in Bermuda (Switch) | 15 March 2021
Complete playthrough with all items collected. Down in Bermuda is a casual puzzle game, based interactions with a variety of mechanisms scattered around each of six island locations, alongside some simple collectible searches - viewed from an overhead perspective and using a cursor-based interface (or alternatively, touch-screen controls). There's nothing ground-breaking here, but the puzzle-solving generally manages to evoke that crucial sense of satisfaction and each location is nicely designed and well-realised with distinctive, attractive cartoon graphics. Overall, this is a decent distraction for a couple of hours, but there's nothing to draw you back after that.

header.jpg

21. The White Door (PC - Steam) | 22 March 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Continuing with the deeply weird style and themes that run through the Rusty Lake and Cube Escape games, The White Door does however see a somewhat different style of gameplay. The interaction here is still as a point-and-click game, but puzzle-solving is limited, with a narrative of sorts instead being the focus. The White Door follows protagonist Robert Hill through seven days and nights in a mental health institution, following a routine by day but exploring the events leading up to his admission in dreams at night. It's not the strongest of plots and the interactivity is fairly straightforward, but The White Door remains oddly compelling with the surreal themes, and short enough not to overstay its welcome.

Cube-Escape-Seasons.png

22. Cube Escape: Seasons (PC - Steam) | 28 March 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Played as part of the Cube Escape Collection, a series of nine games from the developers of the Rusty Lake games. Each game in the collection takes the form of a puzzle game, set within a room (or in some case, a series of rooms) of some description, with the ultimate aim being an 'escape', typically facilitated in some way by collection of a cube used to close out the puzzle sequence. The puzzle-solving comes in a nice variety of implementations, from simple item collection (for example, assembling parts of a torn photo is used a few times during the series) to code-breaking and fairly complex mechanisms - but all using a simple and effective point-and-click interface.

There's a fairly simple graphical style and nothing all that memorable in terms of sound/music, but it does the job, and more notable is the macabre, often eerie theme that pervades the series, though more pronounced in some of the games than others. I'll admit that I do find this a little offputting, but the depth to which the backstory is developed throughout the Cube Escape and Rusty Lake games ensures that overall the narrative elements remain compelling. The series does suffer from the occasional overly-obscure puzzle solutions that are almost inevitable once a puzzle game reaches a certain level of complexity, but so long as you're comfortable with having a guide on hand for those occasions avoids too much frustration from building up. I'll give a brief comment for each specific game, but overall, this is a very decent collection.

A strong start to the collection, Seasons is split into four distinct parts, making good use of time-based puzzles that see one scene influencing the others. On reflection, the graphics are a little simple compared to some of the later instalments, but with these not being the focus of the game it's not a huge negative.

Cube-Escape-The-Lake.png

23. Cube Escape: The Lake (PC - Steam) | 29 March 2021
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Relatively short and straightforward, this second game of the collection is one of the least memorable.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
23: Gravity Rush Remastered. End: 4/18/2021. (2 out of 5)

I had heard this game's praises for years, and while I thought highly of its aesthetics, I found the rest of the game a rather clunky mess that brought the whole thing down. The final boss fight was an exercise in tedium because it was all the game's clunky mechanics delivered in a single package. Just a massive disappointment for me.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
49. Sonic Before the Sequel
Sonic_Before_the_Sequel_Title_Screen.png

Finally ended up playing this after years of hearing about it, and I was quite impressed with it, all things considered. Great music, commendable visuals and some nice platforming, but each zone being 3 acts made it needlessly longer than it should be. Although I was impressed, and enjoyed my time with it for the most part, I do feel like it could do with a 'remake' that improves on some aspects of the game and make it run on modern systems (at least so that the cutscenes can be viewed!).
Shoutouts to falk for a great soundtrack!

Oct 27, 2017
No. 23 - Signs of the Sojourner - 4/5

Signs does a lot of things right for me: it's one of the better deckbuilders I've played, the music does well to link melodic guitars to dusty towns and life on the road, and there's plenty of mystery and conflict without direct, physical violence. The best part by far is how it links together the limitations of a small deck with the forced impetus to switch in a new card from each conversation. Different people in Signs communicate with different symbols, but the player can only carry a limited number of cards. You need a good amount of relevant symbols to make a conversation work all the way through. The thing is, your deck is too small to hold enough symbols for all kinds of people. It's a game where the mechanics speak to the point that you can't be everything to everyone.

Main Post

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I forgot to update but I finished ~62 games last year. Let's keep the train rolling

Games complete 16/52

1) Stein's gate Elite (PS4)
2) Sayonara Wild Heart (PS4)
3) Daemon X Machina (Switch)
4) Miles Morales (PS5)
5) Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)
6) Mafia : Definitive Edition (PS4)
7) Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (PS4)
8) Untitled Goose Game (PS4)
9) Robotics;Notes Elite (PS4)
10) A Mortician's Tale (PC)
11) Gears Tactics (PC)
12) Avengers (PS5)
13) StarCraft II: Nova Covert Ops
14) Maquette (PS5)
15) Blood and Truth (PSVR)
16) Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)